Speaker 1: Let's to our next guest. O.
Speaker 2: Our next guest is an Australian tennis legend who during his career was ranked number one in the world for men's singles.
Speaker 1: Rafter is the nineteen.
Speaker 2: He retired in two thousand and three, but just last year showed us he can still pop a hell of us.
Speaker 3: Served two hundred and two Kara.
Speaker 1: Two two. Please welcome to the show, Pat Rafter.
Speaker 3: Hey, Paddy Rafter, one of my faves. Good morning.
Speaker 1: Why are you smiling and laugh when you hear it? I'll tell you what previous world number one?
Speaker 3: Patrick Rafter? How long were you world number one for?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I wasn't laugh at that, but that is funny in the self, but they said world number one for men's singles?
Speaker 4: Thanks for clarifying the men's single.
Speaker 3: How long were your world number one for Patty?
Speaker 4: We're one week? One week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was having a week off too. Did never undefeat him? I want to ever beat me at number one. Carloskraz has got a tattoo of the date he went world number one.
Speaker 4: Have you got a similar tat? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure, No, I don't have any tats, but you imagine the alchoraz if you want to put a tattoos and all the good things career.
Speaker 3: And how old is it's only.
Speaker 1: What were you when you were number one men's singles?
Speaker 4: Uh No? Twenty six? Listen as a late bloomer.
Speaker 5: Hey, Pete, do you think it's easier or harder to play now? Because when you were playing, did you have this extreme heat rule and closed roofs and all of those things.
Speaker 2: I remember playing very hot conditions. I think it was around but I don't know if we ever had that situation where we got called off court. But you know, when you say how hard is it to play? I mean playing these guys right now is so good. I mean technology has changed a little bit when I played, so that obviously changes the style of play.
Speaker 4: Yep, but God, they're good. Was it hot that night that you cramped up?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was humid because it was some ridiculous night.
Speaker 5: Of because you you actually the whole body shut down.
Speaker 4: Its awesome. I don't talk about the women of.
Speaker 1: Question on the line.
Speaker 5: Is that what happened to Janick Sinner when he cramped up was at the heat?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But ge went early, didn't he? I was just sort of sitting back watching going God what's going on here? So he he struggles badly. We saw that the year before as well against Rune. He was very lucky in that match. The roof closed, he was gone, he was he was going home.
Speaker 1: And then can we talk about the joker and the blisters. I haven't seen this yet.
Speaker 3: Before we look at the blisters.
Speaker 5: Novak has had the easiest walk the semi finals of all time. He had a walk over to game matches ago, so he didn't actually play. Then this what yesterday? He's his player dropped out when he was down two sets. So he's only played two sets in six days and he lost them both and he's in the semi finals.
Speaker 6: Is that a positive or a nigg because his body would be rested theoretically.
Speaker 2: Theoretically, but that blister that we saw, which you're going to show if he.
Speaker 5: Showed it, yeah, Jason hasn't seen it. Have a look at this on his foot. So he's got blisters all over and it's actually like.
Speaker 2: The underneath that, Yeah, a bit of a flap coming on and you'd see two or three skins. Yeah, so he that that is I didn't know how you play with that. So he was struggling. He didn't look like he was moving that great. Either he's thirty eight or no. You wake up on the wrong side of bed a lot of times, as we know when we get older. But he is, he is struggling through this. He was lucky he didn't have to play Mensick the round before the fourth.
Speaker 5: Well exactly, so he's got blisters like that and he hasn't even been playing.
Speaker 4: And good luck against Jarnick.
Speaker 6: But if he took away the blisters, yeah, technically should be rested.
Speaker 4: Yeah, technically, but he's thirty eight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah?
Speaker 3: Is this it? Is this the last time we see him at Melbourne, doesn't it?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, look, he's really Roger was. I think Roger thirty eight was doing better.
Speaker 2: I think lost in the finals to Novaka the US Open, and he had match points so that he was nearly winning Grand Slams. I don't know how, and I think Novak wuld probably admit it that how does he beat Sinner and al KaAZ?
Speaker 4: Yeah, on top of the other five matches you have to play.
Speaker 5: This point of the tournament is where you meant to see the best matches. But they've sort of been a bit underwhelmed. They've all been straight set wins like.
Speaker 4: The women and the man's have been pretty average.
Speaker 5: Now, I love Coco Goff and there's been a lot of debate about her cracking it at the end and going and smashing her rackets.
Speaker 3: We've all seen that vision.
Speaker 5: She's saying there should be a spot that players can go and have some privacy. She didn't think there was cameras there. She said it the Australian Open. There are cameras on smash room. Well, basically, what do you think of the racket smash.
Speaker 2: Well, there is there is a safe space and that's the locker room view want to unload in the I can't really have cameras in the way. But the other thing is I said to one of the players yesterday is that you know it's actually fine to let the emotion out on the court too, because if you're if you're getting really frustrated, and she was, I mean, she was getting her ass kicked and she just couldn't find a way back in let that frustration out sometimes at the end of the first yet just demolished one and then just clears everything.
Speaker 4: I could be no, no, I probably don't.
Speaker 2: Only a couple of times on TV, but if I got really frustrated on the court, there was a way of just letting rid of all that energy, getting rid of it and just refocusing, and it's a reset.
Speaker 4: It's a reset for me. It was a reset.
Speaker 2: If you continually keep smashing your racket as the sets go along, that's not great. But it's about getting the anger out.
Speaker 4: And so there are too many cameras then you know, it's all part of the course. I sort of is now. I mean players also make their money out of the broadcays.
Speaker 1: The change.
Speaker 6: Are you in there with your competitor. Are you having a pre chat before?
Speaker 2: Not normally having a pre chat? You know, I'm not sitting beside sampus and chat before we walk out.
Speaker 1: But you're in the same room technically getting ready.
Speaker 4: The weirdest one at Wimbledon is you.
Speaker 2: It's you go, you finish the locker room and you walk to the next room, which is another holding room right before you walk out in the court, and the rooms tiny two by two meters. Yeah, and you're sitting there and going and you're like five minutes there and you come, you make small talk.
Speaker 4: You don't no headphones, weadphones, so you change.
Speaker 2: The tapese so there was a lot of that. Yeah, it was that. That was a really awkward moment. Even Gore and who's a good maide of mine. I wasn't even looking at him because it's a head game. First, it's a mind game. It's yeah, you don't. I mean, you could probably potentially say something but smart arsy to him and then upset his of them, which I don't know, it's not my style.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and not curious.
Speaker 3: About him going out partying before his game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't mind it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he used to do it before he's singles, so he's now doing for doubles and mixed. When he goes, he goes hard by the looks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I'm just for we let you go.
Speaker 6: One other athlete I wanted to ask about is a bit nervous. No, no, no, I believe you've had the fortunate experience of trying to coach ow Verio Lawn.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Cardio Tes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she goes all right, Lozzi, there's a girls group going on bar and going back in the while when she was living down there.
Speaker 1: Question Tennis or Champagne, what were they better add on the court?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 2: Comparable? I mean in terms of another tennis place. He goes really well in terms of a champagne drinker.
Speaker 1: She's a professional professional. That's the world number one.
Speaker 5: We fired actually because he took the cardio tennis and we were all nearly vomiting on it side.
Speaker 3: You were so awful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's very competitive and we're like, we're just here for a bit of fun.
Speaker 3: He's like, I'm not, we just want to for the grand I left.
Speaker 4: After a couple of weeks that I'm not doing this anymore.
Speaker 3: Paddy, now you're is it paddle or padel that bit?
Speaker 4: I don't know either. I think I should know by.
Speaker 3: Playing paddle playing. Are you loving it?
Speaker 1: Is that the one where it bounces off the walls exactly exactly? I've got to give it again.
Speaker 4: I am so sad.
Speaker 3: It's Australian Masters.
Speaker 2: Well actually made the Young Fella's team too, the Australian Young Guys so went over to guitar and played with the Asian Cup with the Aussies as well. Played against the warm over a little bit was bloody hell outside outside I was. We started matches at five o'clock by to put the girls on a one was like the sound is when they're burkers and everything. They're running around these whole dresses and whatever. It was like, oh my god, it was bloody hot and doors. How about it, he's still on the bike.
Speaker 4: You ride there.
Speaker 2: No, it's too far for mid line bike, but I'm lined bike. The green helmet's a ripper. I always look for one for the helmet.
Speaker 5: I've been telling them about this and they didn't believe me that you actually take the line bike.
Speaker 1: Here's a commueral helmet.
Speaker 4: Back in the day when my kids used to bring it home from pre skill and things, I got them all the time.
Speaker 3: No, he carries his own helmet.
Speaker 2: I did, but now I'm getting annoyed with that, so I'd just find one with a helmet in it and put I look unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Sometimes he changes his runners as well.
Speaker 3: We went to lunch and he sat out the front.
Speaker 5: Had to take his bike riding runners off and put his good shoes on for lunch.
Speaker 6: Well, I was having Sorry, you're not wearing little tap shoes when you're.
Speaker 1: On a line bike.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not doing the old clip bins. But for FLOSSI and Paulie to have lunch and I had to dress up nicely.
Speaker 3: And now we had ASHPARTI in the other days.
Speaker 5: I loved watching you guys play in the doubles, the mixed doubles on that opening round or whatever it was called.
Speaker 3: But you guys are in this business rally together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a crack at this. This label we've I've been in for a year and has looked good. Yeah, we're gonna we have to we have to get better at it. And I's got to be honest, you know. Yeah, it's just on the market. You know, we are selling, but and it's got a great label and a great feel to it. Are you on the making them or you just no, no, no, I'm going to have a meeting now with them. But it's you know, I'm invested in and I really enjoy it. And Ashes and as she is going to bring a whole new perspective to it, and she knows exactly what she wants and you know the Yeah, the brand, We're trying to make it better and better and get clothes better.
Speaker 6: Rallyclub dot com is website to go and check out clothing brand.
Speaker 1: Patty Rafter on the air this this morning. Good to see you mate, Good to see you guys. Have no idea of the website.
Speaker 5: Didn't Lauren l wake up feeling good follow on the socials