Speaker 1: She loved my father. I hate what he's done. I hate the pain he's caused so many people. But knowing he's going to hear my boys say these things, I know he'd be listening. I wish you'd understand how hurt I am and how much I wish he'd made different decisions, and how that if he could do all this and still have my love, like it wouldn't have taken much just to be a decent human being, and he'd help me and my kids in his life and we would have worshiped him. She'd just confess and let this will be done, and lot it. Let it stop affecting me. I was seventeen and this has chased me my entire adult life. It affects my kids, It affects every single aspect of my life. And I knew this podcast would happen one day, and I just wish he would give Christian Anne the justice and the truth that they deserve.
Speaker 2: I'm Ashley Hanson and you're listening to episode thirteen of Dear Rochelle, a podcast by True Crime Australia. This is the untold story of Rochelle Charles, a twenty three year old who was brutally murdered. Her killer has never been caught. This is the first of a two part interview with Kevin Stephen Corell's daughter as Now, she has some pretty strong beliefs about her father, particularly in relation to historic allegations for which she's been found not guilty. Jazz also believes her dad murdered Rochelle. These are only Jazz's opinions about her dad. She's come to these views through a combination of her own interactions with her father and witnessing his relationships with other people, including both of his ex wives, the first being her mother. This of course, doesn't make it proof of Kevin's guilt of any offenses. These are only Jazz's opinions, and in fact, you will hear Jazz say she doesn't have any evidence that her dad committed these crimes, but we think it's important for you to hear her story. By the way, Jazz is her nickname and for privacy reasons when not using her full name. Kevin Carrell strenuously denies any involvement in Michelle's murder.
Speaker 3: And has never been charged.
Speaker 2: He has willingly participated in three records of interview with police and provided his DNA to investigators. A coroner presiding over Rochelle's inquest made an open finding.
Speaker 3: How would you describe your relationship with your father now.
Speaker 1: We've been estranged about four or five years. There's been minimal contact between us. There was health concerns where we exchanged a few text messages that were civil, and I had concerns about him. But yeah, it's you know, I think after this his release, I don't think we'll ever speak again. And I'm okay with that. I don't. I feel like I'm hurting him right now, and it's not what I want to do. It's just I feel like I have to. I have to help with this because it's been twenty four years of them not knowing. And I'm sure my dad would understand. I actually I lost my oldest daughter in two thousand and nine under very different circumstances. But if there was someone responsible, which I wasn't as medical reason, but if there was someone responsible and they debated justice for a minute, I would be smashing the world up. And it's just it's not okay that and Christie are still fighting for justice. I think it's so wrong, and I would hope that my dad with the grief we experienced in the loss of my daughter, would understand that that's not okay for that family to still be going through this if someone needs to pay. Rochelle died violently, and I can't imagine being in their shoes how that must feel. You know, there's no one to blame for my daughter's death, but it's so unjust. It's so unfair, and to have someone that you know cause that horrificing to Rachelle. It's just so wrong that they've walked free for twenty four years.
Speaker 3: What's prompted you to speak out now?
Speaker 1: I feel like I have some insight when I hear certain things being said about my dad, some very true. I think most of the things that have been said about him by people who know him, I believe them wholeheartedly. The best chance at getting him is for people to really know who he is, and I think I'm probably one of the best people to explain who he really is.
Speaker 3: A few of.
Speaker 1: Those years he was protected in people's belief that wouldn't have it in his life if he did this, and I feel guilt for that. I also want it known that I don't defend him.
Speaker 2: Anymore Before we get into that. Who are you? What would you like people to know about you?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like a very boring person Outside of this. I'm a mum of five amazing children. I work in community services, and I'm very passionate about a lot of things, human rights and feminism and yeah, I think my dad, being who he is, has shaped a lot of who I am.
Speaker 3: How is your dad shaped you?
Speaker 1: I don't think there's anyone who's been more influential who I am as a person. I think you can trace every single detail about who I am. Every fiber of my being comes from him. Whether it was the things I didn't like I became staunchly against. For example, my daddy is very He's racist and homophobic and things like that, so I am staunchly against those things. Being that my dad can't seem to tell the truth. It's very important to me. Honesty and accountability are probably the biggest things for me, and that's how I've raised my children. Accountability is so important that you know, I never told my kids that Santa was real, or the Easter money was real, or anything like that, because I wanted my kids to know that they could always believe every single word I ever said to them, which is something I've never had with my dad. Everything he ever said, good and bad, I never knew what was real and what was true. Even the good things like him saying he was proud of me. I didn't know if that was real. I didn't know if his love was real. And I think the only way that you can achieve that with your kids is to always be honest. So I didn't want them to ever think I'm lied about this And yeah, so it's it's shaped who I am, especially as a parent and the things that are important to me. I can't ever undo the harm my dad has caused his many victims, But I think because I couldn't speak out for so long, this is why it's shaped my life.
Speaker 3: To you, who is Kevin Correll? Do you love him like a father?
Speaker 1: So many of my friends were so envious of my relationship with my dad. Most people who met my dad love my dad.
Speaker 2: You know he was.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I often had a lot of friends saying they wish they had a relationship with their father's the way I did with mine. Yet underneath I knew that he was more start too. I've never been able to reconcile those feelings, and I feel a lot of guilt and shane that I've contributed it to him having twenty four years of good memories he didn't deserve to have. There was a long time, For a long time, I tried to have hope that he didn't do these things. Deep down, I knew. I've always known, not in any way that I have evidence, I just I knew he did this, So I knew he's done a lot of other things. But there was a hope, as his daughter, this is someone who experienced his love. There was a hope that it was all wrong and everyone had it wrong.
Speaker 3: But I don't know that's that's.
Speaker 1: A fairy tale.
Speaker 3: You said that you'd seen the evil Father is capable of Do you have any memories of that?
Speaker 1: I remember him hurting my stepmotherw do you remember that my mother had told me that he never hit her. I'd witnessed my mum being terrified of him my entire life. She was terrified. He's always scared her. He's still scares her now. I remember being at a party and there was an accusation that she was talking to someone that my father wasn't happy about, and we were told to get in the car, and as we were in the car, I remember that she was banging on the car window and she had blood all over her face and she's crying, and he got in the car and left her there. Outside of that, there was a violent explosions. Ever, I sensed people's fear. I also saw a lot of people be compliant with his lies. And that's the one thing that it wasn't ever taught. He never told me that I had to go along with anything. He did the same thing to my kids. No one ever said you've got to go along with lies, but everybody did. And when you see everyone compliant to someone, you know, it's natural that we will call out a lie when we hear it. But with my dad, everyone falls into line. And I don't know how, And I think that's only that dynamic is only possible when you're fearful. I can't explain how it came to be that dynamic. He wasn't controlling in the sense that anyone else would describe controlling. But I know when you weren't compliant or you didn't act a certain way, he punished you in a way that you couldn't speak to me because you just look crazy. It was sinister, it was calculated. It maybe long after the fact, but there was a passive, aggressive way in which you'd be punished for stepping out of line. As I said, he never raised his hand, he never raised his voice. He's a very calm father, but definitely would not describe him as an agro father. He was very calm, very loving unless she displeased him.
Speaker 3: Tell me about the good times from your childhood.
Speaker 1: I don't know why, but the good times are harder to talk about than the bad times. I think because in this environment, telling people he's evil is easier for me, because I want to support Rochelle. Talking about how much I love my dad and the good things that most people wouldn't know feels horrible, and I've lost the ability to feel good about cherish memories I had with my dad. He was my dad's probably the funniest man I've ever known, and I hate saying that, and I don't want people to think he's a good person who deserves to be defended, because I defended him for so long, and but he so funny. He was so much fun, you know. We always joked that he was the fifth Wiggle and he was always running around playing games, making up games. He spoiled us right, and we went there once a fortnight and he had two days and he would f every last minute with Funt. I loved going to my dad's so I was, you know, daddy's little girl, and some of my best childhood memories and with my dad. I loved him. I still too.
Speaker 3: That's why this interview must be so difficult for you to do.
Speaker 1: I think knowing he's going to hear this, you know, I've talked about these things with people and the harburst so many times throughout my life, and it's got to a point where I can be stone cold clinical and this happened, and this happened, and this happened. I don't think it's fair. I think he got twenty four years that he didn't deserve, and I gave them to him. You know, my dad's entire life has been me and my kids for the last twenty four years. I gave him those years. And I feel a lot of guilt shame, and I think he's just he's been very lucky and it's time to let it go. It breaks me that Graham past without without the justice he deserved for Rachelle, for everything I could see.
Speaker 3: He was a wonderful father. He loved his daughter.
Speaker 1: And she was taken from him as the cruelest thing imaginable. And I just wish my dad would be accountable as a father. He's at certain periods in my life. He loved me very well, and he loved my children. But to me, my father is jacqualine height. He's caused us so much pain.
Speaker 3: How hurtful could he get?
Speaker 1: Uh? He once said it was my fault that my daughter died, that I was a negligent mum, and that I must have loved it because of the attention I got. He Uh, yeah, it was mainly attacking me as a mother. I do often say that, you know he was gonna go for custody of my kids and take them off me. I don't know, hide from the fact that I have.
Speaker 3: Had a lot of problems over the years, and.
Speaker 1: My kids have gotten through a huge amount of significant trauma. I was not by or abusive. I was neglectful because some days I couldn't get out of pen and my kids suffered because of that. And that's another reason I let him in their life, because the same thing he provided when I was a child, he was fun. He was My children worshiped him. I never relied on my dad, but he would step up. He would turn up every Friday afternoon and now I'm going to take the kids here, and I'm going to do this, and I'm going to do that. And I needed that with what was going on in my life. Was not in a good way in the early years of life, just trying to hurt me as much as possible, and he there was nothing that was too low for him. And then yeah, it was like it was all forgotten. But on those occasions that he brought it up, he would like our past fights, and he would bring up that, you know, he didn't kill Rochelle, and I'd apologized that I had said those things, but he never apologized to me for any of that and never got a sickle apology. He's never been able to be accountable. If I talked to him about my pain, it was always, you know, even when I accused him of killing Rochelle, it was always when we discuss it later, it wasn't denials of doing it. It was that I was the horrible person for accusing him, and he always turned it around that I was evil and I was horrible, and I was cruel. He never acknowledged anything he ever did.
Speaker 3: Did he play the victim?
Speaker 1: Always? Always I was cruel, I was horrible. The papers were against him, the policeman was after him because see you heard his daughter. My dad, whenever backed into a corner, was the victim. You know. That's the only time I'd see my dad make himself vulnerable. But it was make believe it was an act so you would feel sympathy. A text message I received probably about two years ago where he acknowledged a lot of things he didn't. He didn't fully acknowledge it, but he said he was sorry for the ways he had let me down, which is I never got anything like that in my life from him. There was never any acknowledgment of anything. There was no apologies for anything until that text message, and it rowed me apart to the point I couldn't function for weeks because I needed it for forty one years. But yeah, his cruelty was mostly passive aggressive. I remember he used to record my boys and there'd be a bribe in it for them and they'd explain, but he would get them to record videos saying we don't want to live with him, but we want to live with path And I knew it was because I stood up to him with some racist comment or some whenever he saw my fistyess. He hated that. He hated that I'm passionate as me because I am as a person when it comes to my values, I am very feisty and I stand up. I can stand up for other people, just not myself. And standing up to him was hard in regards to me. But I could stand up to the other things that he said and did, and I could see how angry he'd get. He'd have a smile on his face and he'd be normal. Yeah, that would be my punishment for things like that. Or he often barred mouthed me to my children. He would encourage them to make racist comments, gay joaks, things like that, and challenge at masculinity. When they didn't, it was almost a taunting that really toxic. You know, to be a man, you must be these things. And yeah, it's definitely affected my kids.
Speaker 3: From what you've witnessed with your dad. How does he attract women?
Speaker 1: He's very charming, charismatic, he uses humor, he's like, he's very critical of other men. I think my dud views or other men as competition. It's very rare that he had close relationships with men. There were a few few friends he had. You know, he would criticize that. You know, men want to go to the pub and drink and they don't get up and dance. My dad will get up and dance with anyone. He's always the life of the party. He's not been a big drinker throughout my life. I've seen him drink a handful of times and know and only get tipsy drunk maybe once or twice. He needs to always be in control. He would use me and my children. And when I say use, you know, I think some of the love he had for me and my kids was entirely genuine. But he knew that that attracted people. That he was loving doating father and grandfather, and yeah, women I saw them idolize him. Like It still blows my mind that my father, though, gets the women he gets. They are all not only pure in heart, intelligent, loving and kind women. They're all drop dead gorgeous. And one look at my father, you go, how and yeah, he just wins them over. He lies a lot. I used to get very annoyed, you know, his friends had mentioned stuff like, you know how he bought me a car. My dad never bought me a car. I was paying it off myself. But he didn't have to lie about what he did for me. He could have just told them what he did and people would still think he was wonderful. But instead he would say that he was practically raising the kids, that I wasn't coping, and my dad was paying all my bills and he bought me a car and doing everything. Now, I understand people like to talk themselves up and want people to see them as some sort of hero, but I don't know why he had to speak about me in such a degrading way. If I saw one of my children struggling, I would just want to be there and help fix it. My dad never, through those times, ever came and such as what you need, how do I help, never try to get me any help.
Speaker 3: He used it for his advantage. You're describing a man who some might think grooms people.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's one hundred percent grooming, and somehow he grooms others to help him. How so he's never told me what I'm supposed to do. But I know I can't explain that phenomenon. I don't know how that happens.
Speaker 3: Can you think of an example that might explain it.
Speaker 1: When there was an audience that I knew, we had to act like the closest dad and daughter in the world. So we might be preparing for a party and he barely acknowledges me, and you know, he might have the shits with me, and yeah, there was nothing. He wouldn't describe us as close at all as then when people arrived, he lived his whole life for me. I was the most beautiful girl in the room. Introduced me to everyone, this is my beautiful daughter, even though he say things behind my back that fed into it that my daughter has all these problems, but I lift her up. He didn't do that for anything else other than the audience that were watching, because they think she's got all these problems, and look at the way he builds her confidence. And I would immediately play into it. I saw partners go along with it when he would tell stories. I remember one partner who sat there through a story. They had gone on a cruise at dinner cruise and he was telling us at Christmas about this guy getting belligerent and causing a scene. And my dad said, you know, he helped kick him off the boat, and my dad got in a fight with this guy, and then his partner told me when he walked away that there was the belligerent guy on the dinner cruise. And all of that happened except the part that my dad was involved. He didn't get up from the table, but she went along with his story that he was telling him that he was with her. He was fully aware that she knew everything he was saying was a lie.
Speaker 3: She was there, but.
Speaker 1: We'd all do it, we'd comply. I started noticing my kids do it, and that's when it really hit me, because it was okay for it to be normal for me. When I saw that one of my sons was punished because he was less compliant than the others. He would be treated in a very passive, aggressive way. He would be punished in weird, sinister ways, in a normal way that you would punish a child. It was psychological. It was making him feel less than his brothers. It was something I could accept for myself, but not for my sons.
Speaker 3: What about the sinister lies? How deep do they go?
Speaker 1: He always has a story to justify anything I didn't, So I was about twelve, when my parents were sort of arguing for custody of me and a so when I found out a lot of her family secrets and found out about my dad's history, Dad got out in front of it and told me himself. He also told me some stuff about my mum trying to me against her. Thankfully mum had already told me. But as I said, never bad moused him and he told me that in the eighties he had been accused of a rape. I only knew of one rape. And he said that he was seeing a girl who was the daughter of a police officer and he had cheated on her. And he sat there and almost welled up and said, you know, I don't want to be that person. I know my dad's been unfaithful to every partner. He said, I know that. You know that makes me a really bad person. But she got angry and her father had me arrested for rape. They didn't have the SS, so this was a story. I was fed about his rape charge. I also knew there was another. I knew there was a case of armed robbery because my mum's brother was my father attempted to frame my uncle Greg for it. I knew that from my mum's family. I'd heard bits and pieces, no one went into details with me. I never knew that was an attempted rape. When I heard the full version of that, that flawed me. I haven't been able to turn off anything relating to the podcast. I follow everything. I am constantly on Facebook watching everything that he has said, and I knew I shouldn't have listened to the podcast before. So it was episode five and at the end I heard the snippet of two rape victims or the attempted rape victim and the punch bowl one.
Speaker 4: So the knock at the door, I opened it and it was ban instant melaclava. The knife was held up here. He pushed me back. I was walking down the hall to reassue him the lounge room and that he pulled a knife on me. He just came straight at me and it was just closed hard fists. Proceeded to tell me that if I didn't do what he said, he would kill my kids, and I just went down. It was like I just went smacked down on the bed. I did what he said and he read me. I remember thinking, holy shit, I'm going to die.
Speaker 1: And I got to work. I was violently ill. I had to leave work, and my son left work as well. He wasn't doing well. My mum had told me bits and pieces. She knew nothing of it being a police officer's daughter or anything like that. I had suspicions that it was more than what he said, because I knew he was a liar, but I didn't know how how many it had happened. But specifically when I heard the Gold Coast Model story, when I realized the arm robbery, the way he tried to frame my uncle Greg, I knew he tried to frame him and he left the business card. I'd heard that story so many times, but one thing that really really stuck out to me in that podcast was the way she described he kept saying money for drugs, money for drugs, and it showed me how sinister he was. My dad is completely anti drugs. He's never touched anything. He views marijuana use as the same as heroin use. He thinks it's all disgusting, completely anti drug But my uncle was a smoker. My dad would have viewed him as disgusting for that reason, and my uncle was a lovely man. He's passing. Yeah, it made me realize that he went in there, and he was so intent on setting up my uncle that he made out it was for drugs. And that's how sinistery get. And you know, when you go back to the fingers like, I think that's the biggest mistake he made that he was telling all of us, not realizing how much that was going to backfire on him. But yeah, I think he fully thought that his charm would make people not suspect him.
Speaker 3: Have you heard him bad mouth women in general?
Speaker 1: Yes? Always?
Speaker 3: What are the kinds of things he says?
Speaker 1: He usedcore women moms a lot. When I read that about the rape in the car that shook me.
Speaker 3: She called me names and then I called her a slat.
Speaker 1: I think I called her a male and taser or something. It's wordings he would use. But he makes insinuations that when women dress a certain way that they're asking for it, and you know, those very typical tropes of his generations. Specifically, remember every case we'd hear, big cases of sexual assaults and things like that, Brittany Higgins, all that sort of stuff, he would always blame the women or say they were lying. Always he's always on the side of the person who didn't matter what evidence was there? They were always innocent.
Speaker 3: How does your father view women?
Speaker 1: He has the expectation that they are pure, kind, nurturing, soft, and anything outside of that they deserve disrespect. You know, as much as my father hated my ex husband when he hurt me, he would say things about, you know, me being a whore. And that's why he doesn't blame my ex husband for doing it. Thinks he did.
Speaker 3: Your father would call you a whore?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, there is a certain way that he expects women to behave.
Speaker 3: And did your mom stand by your father during these allegations back in the eighties?
Speaker 1: Mom stayed with him. I definitely don't want to speak on behalf of my mum, who is definitely not She's not supportive of me doing this. She's scared for my safety. She blames herself for a lot of what he got away with, And all I can really say is that she was very fearful of him at that time and she did what she needed to do to survive. I know my mum believes he did it. He did both the rapes. I know she remembers one of the victims who showed up at subsequent trials of other victims. She remembers her in the court and how much it broke my mom to hear her screaming, he's done it before, he'll do it again. And my mom did not talk about this stuff to me until I started asking questions.
Speaker 3: What about Elise? How did he treat Alise? From what you.
Speaker 1: Saw, Elise was very It always felt like she was sort of on eggshells and trying to do everything she could for my dad. He wasn't He didn't treat her well. She's the one that I have this story about the bloody face, And you know, I didn't see a lot of violence like that between them, but I feel like the threat was always there. I feel like Elise was always scared of that.
Speaker 3: I want you to hear how Elise describes some incidents of verbal abuse and threats allegedly by your father, And I'm interested to get your insights on those threats to see if that would be something your father would say.
Speaker 5: Yes, he did threaten me. He threatened to if I ever left him, he would help me down and find me. He would cut me up in little pieces, bury me on the beach in individual spots, to cover me in lime so nobody could smell that there was body parts there. Yeah. And then there was another time we drove part GIRoA beach and I mentioned, as we've driven past, I said, that's a really nice caravan park on that side. I said, what a lovely spot to have a caravan park, because you've just got to walk across the road and there's seven mile beach there, Like that would be a fun place to take a family like to go and stay there. And I said, look at all that bush there, and he said, yeah, look at all that bush there. He said, that'd be a good place to bury somebody. Just make sure you behave yourself.
Speaker 3: I must add.
Speaker 2: Kevin Correll vehemently denies the allegations of domestic abuse leveled against him by his former wife.
Speaker 3: Do you believe that's something your father would say? One hundred percent?
Speaker 1: I never heard threats like that, But I know that he's capable of that. I know that's how he's instilled a lot of fear and a lot of women. I know how terrified my mother is of him and other former partners of his. I remember reaching out to one in my twenties.
Speaker 3: Is this the partner that your father was seeing at the time of Rochelle's murder. Yes, we're referring to her as Alice.
Speaker 1: I'd reached out to Alice just because I absolutely adored her, and I never knew why they split up and what happened. I realized everything with the Rochelle probably played a part. But yeah, I reached out to her at work and I could hear terror in her voice, realizing that I was contacting her, And she told me she couldn't have anything to do with me. And this was one of the most beautiful souls I'd ever met, and she was terrified purely because I was his daughter, and she thought he had put me up to it. She asked me not. When I said no, I just wanted to catch up. She's please, don't tell your dad who spoke to me. Please, you can't contact me again. And I knew something quite horrific had happened, didn't know what, and I'd never asked him. Yeah, I know a lot of women are terrified of him. All the accounts these women speak of are one hundred percent tury. He liked to look at women, my dad, you know, always turning his neck looking at anything. But it was he didn't respect those women. I think my dad only respects a woman if she is a good wife and serves men, and it's compliant.
Speaker 3: How do you cope with all these traumas in your life?
Speaker 1: My kids are, Oh like, I probably get the most emotional talking about this. I don't know how with everything they've been through that they are. They're the most phenomenal humans. Just their sense of humor, their forgiveness. They're the most compassionate, beautiful human beings. And outside, I mean, they are more than enough. But my work is very significant to me as well.
Speaker 3: Why is that important to you? I can't do what he did.
Speaker 6: I can't, but if I'm doing good, I want my my DNA.
Speaker 1: To be counterbalancing in some way. And I'm not mother Teresa. I don't mean that in any way, but you know, I don't want to sound like a martyrup but I think that is very It's very significant to me that I am always trying to prevent people being cruel and evil.
Speaker 3: Did you choose that path because of your childhood? I think so?
Speaker 1: This is why I think he being his daughter has definitely shaped so much, and.
Speaker 6: I think I am.
Speaker 1: Forever trying to do something that is more significant than being his daughter. I've felt worthless most of my life, and I think I'm always about to prove that I'm not here. No, I don't want to be known as sister daughter. I want to be known as the person who helps people.
Speaker 3: How much fear did you have to push through to be able to do this interview with me?
Speaker 1: I think I would have had reason to fear if he knew I was doing it and there were you know, he knew where I lived, and there was an opportunity for him to get away with it. Yeah, I would probably be more fearful. I mean, I've always my dad had contempt for me, and I think one of the reasons he kept me in my life was because he used me as a tool and because the mother of the grandchildren, who are another source for him. I think he hates everything I stand for, because, as I said, I've built my personality around not being all the things I hate in him.
Speaker 7: You've tried to be everything he's not, yes, and it severely disappoints him. I used to believe, in order to get my kids, that he could potentially hurt me if he thought he'd get away with that. I remember a few times going to his house I'd have to pick something up or drop something off, and I would either pretend to be on the phone, or I would be on the phone to a friend and very loudly out the front of his house. I've just stopped in at my dad's I'll call you back in ten minutes. I just wanted him to know that someone knew where I was. And I know that probably sounds very dramatic. I can imagine his face as he hears me say that, But yeah, I know what he's capable of, and I know the contempt he had for me, and how damaging I am. I think I hold up a mirror to my dad of all the things he hates about himself. I think my existence pisses him off. I think if I.
Speaker 1: For some reason walked into his house and no one was there, yeah, he probably hurt me. I don't think he's going to seek me out. I don't think he'd show up where he thinks my sons could be. I don't think he's a danger to me, but I understand that most of my loved ones are terrified of me doing this today.
Speaker 3: Are you doing this for any payback for your father?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: God, no, No, I think the hardest thing about doing this is that knowing my dad is going to hear this and how much it would probably hurt him. I don't want to hurt my dad. I don't know why it's important for me to know that he knows I love you. I can't have him her anymore. I can't, but I do love him and I'm grateful for everything he ever did for me and my kid's fam.
Speaker 3: In a previous episode, you heard Kevin Carrell's close friend and former partner, who we've called Marian, share her beliefs about why Jazz is a strange from her father and would speak out publicly against him.
Speaker 8: All I can say is I just with all the the things that his daughter has said, I know he is very self serving. She is into martyrdom. She loves people saying oh you okay, everything all right? Sorry you're going through this. She hears attention seeking and don't get me wrong, I do love the girl, but yeah, I just she would never have anything positive to say, and I've only got things that are positive to say about Kevin.
Speaker 3: Do you know why she's such a staunch supporter of your father? Can you give us some insights?
Speaker 1: I thought it had a lot to do with a lack of confidence, feeling isolated. But that attack on me when she has always always expressed to me that I'm a daughter to her, and I felt like I was hurting her that I have not been in contact with her. I would never hurt that woman. I don't know what he has said to make vicious comments like that about me. It might possibly be that I am not involved in her life anymore, but I've had nothing but love for her my whole life, as long as I've known her. I'm just blown up way this is psychological dummy he has done. And these are the things he says about me. To hear her say it, I honestly thought she was someone who would always be in my corner. That hurts. I'm not an attention seeker. This is the last thing I want. I don't. I wish I had a normal, fucking dad.
Speaker 3: They didn't have me.
Speaker 6: The fucking news.
Speaker 3: Station coming soon on, Dear Rochelle.
Speaker 1: I think he wanted to kill her, possibly as punishment for rejecting him. My personal belief is that Rachelle was aware he was defrauding Camden. There were quite a few years that I know I protected him he had said that Rachelle's fingers were cut off because she was dealing drugs for bikes. I remember just feeling like the blood had draped from my face the time he sat on my lounge and said I've never said that. He'd said it to me multiple times. Exposing my dad in any way is what we'll set him off.
Speaker 2: Dear Rochelle is a multi media production from True Crime Australia. If you want to be one of the first to find out what happens next.
Speaker 3: Go to Dear Rochelle dot com dot au.
Speaker 2: That's where eligible digital news Called Australia subscribers get early access to podcast episodes, breaking news in our live investigation and you will also find exclusive videos, interactive evidence, feature articles and more.
Speaker 3: That's de roschelle dot com dot you.
Speaker 2: If you have any tips or confidential information to share with me, Ashley Hanson, please send an email to De Rochelle at news dot com dot au. Our supervising producer and audio editor is Rehys Gunter Rachel Fountain, his executive producer and audio director. Our executive editor is Sarah Blake. Our senior journalist is Patrick Carline. Video editors are Jillian McNally, Owen Yang and Stephen Woods. Picture editors are Jeff dr Mannan and Christy Miller. Senior camera operators are Daniel Andrews and Oscar Vierra. Were sound designed by Martin Perolta and Travis Evans. Thanks also to Greg Thompson and Lenny Panerz, Show Burreo Fayguld, Vanessa Graham, Hailey Goddard, Stephen Grice, Charlotte carp, Tina Coggins, and Harry Hughes. Special thanks to The Daily Teller, Graph editor Ben English and Dear Rochelle would not be possible without the help and unwavering support of Christi and Anne Childs, Mindy Wicks, Damien Loon and Rochelle's friends. This podcast series is hosted and investigated by me Ashley Hanson