Speaker 1: I've definitely dated my fair share of douchebags.
Speaker 2: My time just get tingling balls.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm spiraling, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Tell us everything flame emojis sleft, fright, and center.
Speaker 1: Matt loves a bit of goth and.
Speaker 2: I need affect you back.
Speaker 1: I really needing without. I know. I'm jealous. I'm the most jealous person ever.
Speaker 2: Relationships like a fart. If you have to force it, it's probably shiit.
Speaker 1: Hi city dot Com for you. I'll be a bloody single and alone with ten cats for the rest of my life. Lie.
Speaker 2: On today's episode of Where's Your Head At, we will be spilling all the tea on our love armed experiences.
Speaker 1: We will let you in on the behind the scenes secrets of the show and tell you some things the producers really don't want you to know. Stick around to hear all the love Island goths. Where's Your Head At is a podcast that talks all things relationships, breakups, reality TV, trending shows, and everything in between.
Speaker 2: This is your new go to destination for laughs, gossip, intimate details, advice, and much more.
Speaker 1: Hello Matthew Zakowski.
Speaker 2: Hello Anna, what's the full name? Introduction?
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I'm looking at matt right now, and he's wearing a custom made Love Island jacket that has a huge bold letter saying Matthew Zakowski and there's an even bigger photo of his face on the back of it. And I mean, I don't know who on earth would get this made. Actually I do. The only person I know who would get a jacket like this, maid is our good friend, Matthew Zakowski.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought we were talking about Love Island today, so I was like, I'm going to dress up for the occasion and I'm going to chuck on my Love Island custom made jacket.
Speaker 1: When did you get this made?
Speaker 2: A couple of months ago? Now, I got one for myself and Charlie Matthew's maid.
Speaker 1: Is this like a legacy jacket for your future grandchildren so that they can be proud of their dear old grandfather who is Loveland.
Speaker 2: I'll gift it to him on their eighteenth birthday with a package of all my best highlights.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, oh god.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm excited to talk about Love on But before we jump into that, Anna, you've gone official with Michael. I can call him Michael now, not your man.
Speaker 1: We're allowed to call him by name. Matt was actually banned from calling him by name, and so many times when we have been recording our podcast, I've been like, no, no, no, no, don't say the name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't want to get out too early. But yeah, so how is Michael going. You've dropped it on Instagram to everyone the exciting news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're instir official. You know that's a really big deal these days, Like when you go insur official, it's like a milestone in a relationship.
Speaker 2: Don't you think it's announcing it to the world. Really, once it's on the internet, it never comes down.
Speaker 1: Oh God, don't just stress me out like that.
Speaker 2: It's out there for everyone now it is.
Speaker 1: But I'm happy, Like I think it's been a long time coming. We've been seeing each other for a while now, so it was the right time for us, and I've been excited to share. And we're always together, as you know. So there's so many times when I'm with him and I want to do an instant story or something and I can't because I'm with him. So now now I'm free.
Speaker 2: Beneficial to be in your close friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did have a close friends story when Michael did make an appearance. But now that's kind of free.
Speaker 2: Reign, so all positive feedback, so that's good as well. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I think everyone seems to be really happy for me, so I'm happy.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for you as well. Yeah, but I've got a question actually, which is on topic. Yeah, has Michael watched you on Love Island? He hasn't, not even before or while you guys are dating. You haven't showed him anything.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean you've sent me clear. I reckon Matt has watched our season of Love Island like at least thirty times at a minimum. You constantly send me clip and then you'll like, show Michael this, and then I'm like, oh, okay, but you No, he hasn't watched the show. He's thirty three and not really into reality TV. So yeah, it was perfect like when we met.
Speaker 2: In my defense, first, I only send those clips because when I'm sitting down and on board, I'll go on YouTube and the stuff that come up. I love iland clips. I'm like, oh I remember this, and I'll click on it. I'll watch it and I'll be like, oh Anna will appreciate this.
Speaker 1: No, that's because you watch these clips so many times they become your recommended videos because the YouTube algorithm knows that you're going to click back on them. So don't make out like you haven't been searching for this.
Speaker 2: This is true.
Speaker 1: It is so let me ask you a question. Michaels seen a few clips only because you have sent them through and then I've ended up showing him one or two things. But I know for a fact that with the girls that you day you love showing a Love Island clip, and I know the Magical Date girl is still very much on the picture, which we're really very excited about. Have you shown her any Love Island clears or have you even probably watched the whole series with her?
Speaker 2: Okay, so she didn't watch the show. She's not a fan of reality TV, so she didn't know anything about the show. But her sister and best friend after I met them, went back to watch the show.
Speaker 1: And they sent her see some homework.
Speaker 2: And they sent some snaps while we were laying in bed one time of them watching it, and I was like, well, look, you don't want to be in the dark. You want to know what they're seeing, so let's chuck it on if you aren't, And then so we put it on and I was like, look, we're not just going to watch it from the start, like I've seen it and lived it. It's boring. Like, let's get to some juicy bits. And I was like, hang on, I'm going to show you when I had a baby, and I'm going to show you how good of her father I will really be.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see what you're doing.
Speaker 2: So I used it as a tactical thing to show it, and she said, yeah, you would make a good baby daddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So for anyone who didn't watch Love Island, there was a day where we were given fake children.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And so I guess what you're saying is you were showing her how good of a future father you'll be. That's big, Matt. Your brain is going down that path of thinking that she's your future baby.
Speaker 2: Maka yet guilty. I've been called out there. I don't even know what to say.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Well, on that note, let's get into our Love Island episode. Okay, Matt, So, going on a show like Love Island is a really unique experience. What made you sign up for the show?
Speaker 2: So I got messaged by a producer on Instagram asking me if I'd like to audition and try it for the show. They said, obviously, this doesn't mean you're going on. You're just going to do the same things, but we've come across you and we think you'd be right for the show. Cool. So I was at the time broken up with my ex real recently, and I was like, I've got nothing to lose. Like I spoke to my family about it. I was like, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Like you said, if what's the worst thing that happens, you could go on a holiday in Fiji and sit by a pool, which literally, did I know, is so far.
Speaker 1: From, so far from the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so far from a relaxing holiday sing by a pool. But at the time, I was like, Yeah, what's the big deal. I get to meet some hot people, you know, like be a bit of fun.
Speaker 1: So revel in the single life.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. So I was like, I'll give it a go, like and how many people get to do it? And I can tell my grandchildren like that I did this, you know. I mean, it's it's a weird experience. Shut up, Puffy, no one cares. How about yourself? Why did you go on? Why did you so?
Speaker 1: I'm originally from the UK, and so every year I would go back to visit my family in the UK and I was staying with my cousin and I was at her house and she was like, oh my god, we have to get home because I have to see Love is tonight. And I was like, what is this show? Like She's obsessed with it, like I've never heard of it before. And I watched an episode with my cousin Sarah, and I was like, this is amazing, Like I never seen a show like it. It just seems like a different world the way like it's created. It just looks like this magical lamb all of these amazing people. And from then on, when I came back to Australia, I binge watched the UK seasons and loved it. And this sounds really bad, but I was watching Love Island season one with my ex boyfriend yep, and this sounds awful. I actually feel bad about this considering anyway, let me just tell the story the other turn of events. I said to him, if I ever become single again, I'm going to go on Love Island. Little did I know that like a year and a half later, I would actually be going on the next season of Love Island. Oh you manifested it then, Yeah, I definitely did manifest it. Had you ever seen the show before?
Speaker 2: I had briefly watched season one of Australia when my good mate Justin was on, so i'd watch it to support just like so i'd watch bits of it, but I'm not going to I didn't get invested in imagination. I just had it on in the background, like when I was cooking dinner or doing that, like, and watch bits when he was on. So I didn't really get what it was about.
Speaker 1: You're not a reality TV person, Like, it's not something you watch. You're a movie buff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a massive movie buff. So I don't watch reality TV unless someone I know is on it. So I was watching it for him.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I went onto the show. You obviously did. Yeah, you did watched it?
Speaker 1: Yeah all right.
Speaker 2: So and when you got onto the show, was there any blokes that were like the front runners and the ones that you were going for, because obviously you were a bomb on what day three or day three? Did you know who was already in there? Had they? So you are?
Speaker 1: As I was driving to the airport, I think, because as you know, when you go on Love Island, you have to go into lockdown for a about a week or two before you go in, depending if you're the starting lineup or if you're a bomb coming in. Throughout the series, I was in there for eight days, yeah, and I was in there for four in lockdown. But as I was on my way to the airport, they released the ten starting lineup people, one of them being you. So I was obviously like, I know Mat from our modeling days, and then definitely I think a front runner from me would have been Owen because as you know, I like the long hair, tall type of look. So I mean, I guess going in I was kind of like, O, while I've got Matt. Or aside from.
Speaker 2: When you got in there, my situation was it was very.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think as soon as I got in there, I realized that you had been claimed very hard by Vanessa, and I was very put off that situation. I was like, too much drama, staying well out of it. I'm already on a reality TV show that's already a lot for me to handle, Like, I don't want to put myself into a hectic situation. But in saying that, were you happy to be paired with Vanessa? Would you say at the start?
Speaker 2: I was. I mean when I first walked out, I'm not gonna lie. I actually was looking at Jesse a fair bit. Yeah, but I remember Maurice, motherfucking Maurice had his arm around her and like was like grasping at her and was like staring a hole through me. And I was like, I was like, look, I don't know how much these guys have been chatting or what's been going on, but they look pretty happy. So I was like, I'm not going to break that up. And obviously Vanessa looks wise is my type. So I was like, okay, I'll go with Vanessa. But I had a feeling you were going to be on the show, did you? So I've tried to find the photo. I was talking to a girl at the time, like obviously like hanging out. We weren't like dating or anything, just like hanging out. And you put up a story and it was like you I can't remember what you said, but I remember you were in a bathroom and I just got back from shooting in Sydney like a day before, and I was like, so you.
Speaker 1: Were shooting the promos for Love Island in Sydney. In Sydney, we all had to go up to Sydney to shoot promo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to shoot promos. Yeah. So I saw your story and you're in a bathroom like it was a boomerang. I can't even remember what it was. And then there was two toilet roll things and I was actually the girl was like, she's in a hotel room. She's going on Love Island, and she's like, how do you know that? And I'm like, I have a feeling in my gut. I was like, I know she's going to be on there.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I was like I just know it. I just know the way, Like I just have a feeling, like that's a hotel room, she's up in Sydney shooting her promos. I'm like, she's going to be on.
Speaker 1: Your gut was right, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: But I thought you were going to be in the original line up. So when I walked out, you weren't there, so I probably I probably would have picked.
Speaker 1: You a bit disappointed.
Speaker 2: A little bit. I was. I remember driving. I was like, right, well, I'm clearly going to pick Anna if what I was thinking was true. But you weren't there.
Speaker 1: I wasn't there, So, yeah, why didn't you message me if you thought I was going to be on there? Like, why didn't you reach out, Hey, you're going to be on Love Island?
Speaker 2: Because I was seeing you that we give our instagrams to them, and I didn't know what your reaction would have been. You might have been like, you know what.
Speaker 1: I Love Island was very intense and strict, Like the production team. They're so intense with you about leaking the fact that you can't tell anyone, and they make it such a big deal about not telling anyone that you're on the show.
Speaker 2: Email.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got a magical email.
Speaker 2: That someone had leaked something and they'd been kicked off.
Speaker 1: They'd been kicked off the show.
Speaker 2: So it was a smoking mirrors, such a problem. Even when I read it, I was like, this is such a bluff.
Speaker 1: And then I was like, going back, I'm like, who have I told? Oh my god? Am I kicked off?
Speaker 2: I was at the local pub the week before.
Speaker 1: I'm going, oh my god, doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 2: Just with all the boys. But yeah, still okay, So obviously you won. Anna and I came runner up. Yes, and we finished in a coupling with someone. Do you think you found true love on the show? Do you reckon it worked?
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, I think I definitely fell in love with Josh. I think we're both in love with each other.
Speaker 2: So the show worked. You found love on Love Island. So when all those haters say that you can't find love on a reality show, you think you did.
Speaker 1: I think you definitely can find love on a reality show. If me and Josh met in the outside world, would we have worked. Maybe not, because from the moment I met Josh, we were spending every day with one another. And there's also no one else like distracting you. So it's just zero to one hundred style. So you're put into an environment that makes you fall in love. You go on really nice dates, you do dates that that person would probably never do with you in real life.
Speaker 2: You're encouraged to chat to them about your feelings as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the producers will say, hey, Anna, go have a chat with Josh, and I want you to tell him how you feel. For me, that was super uncomfortable, and I know for him it was uncomfortable, and pretty much everyone in there, You're like, oh God, like I have to talk about my feelings. You know, it's being filmed as well in the back of your mind, so you're like, oh, but you have to do it. So they're constantly pushing you to evolve your relationship. And did I fall in love in that process? Yeah? I did, And I did really love Josh and he loved me. But it's a manufactured environment. So I think getting out into the real world is a test as to whether it's lasting love that can endure. And I guess a lot of the time it can't because you don't see that person in reality, Like you don't see those little things like how they treat weight stuff or how they drive a carha or anything like, you don't see any of that. And then I guess when you come into the real world, it's kind of a bit of a shock. You're like, oh, didn't know.
Speaker 2: That, didn't know that you do this, you do it this way? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about you? Do you think you found love.
Speaker 2: At the time? Yes, So, like you said, you're in this manufactured world. And obviously I was coupled with Cartier in the last week, and the last week is really based around like you're coupling my feeling and your feelings like there's what like the final date, what was a commitment ceremony ceremony? There was like a dates and like it's just really intense and everything in there is obviously intensified. So like I was like, yeah, I really like this girl. Like I've gone through what seven weeks of like fucking an emotional rollercoaster. I finished with someone that I like, and obviously she was telling me all the right things.
Speaker 1: And it feels like the aim of the game doesn't, yeah, to find Like if you don't find someone, why are you there?
Speaker 2: You're almost like, well, fuck, I would be robbed if I came off here without someone. Yeah, I mean so, and obviously everything is like pushed in that direction to feel like you love them and then you come off obviously, And like, don't get me wrong, I still wanted to give Cartier and me a shot. When we finished, I was like, I'm not just gonna let.
Speaker 1: It go, ye, like we did all you were invested.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was really invested in the situation of a. I don't think she was invested as I was, so I don't want to speak for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean obviously, as Cartier's friend, you knew that she was not over Adam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I did, but I didn't because she was telling me all the right stuff, like remember that I saw a cliff. We're talking about cliffs I seen. I saw it afterwards where I come up to you in there and I go, where's Cartia And You're like she's upset, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: She needs space?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I say what about And then you're like you know, and I remember I walk off. I'm like, what are you talking about it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think for me, I just assumed that you were kind of like, I'm going to see how it goes. But I know that deep down, she's probably not over the situation because you spent the whole time in there investing in someone else. But I think maybe you had the rose colored glasses on maybe a little bit. But at the same time, like if someone's telling you something, of course you're going to be like, yeah, I'm all into and you're zero to one hundred. So like, it's also not a shock to me that you were like, let's give this red hot crack.
Speaker 2: Even on the so I just wanted like a bit of time to give it a go. But she wasn't interested.
Speaker 1: She wasn't keen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she wasn't keen. I wanted to at least give it like one trip and see what we could do, you know what I mean. Yeah, Oh well it is what it is. I mean I eventually like got over it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you were sad about it for a bit, for a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was pretty sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a tough one. When you watch the show back, Matt, do you think it was an accurate representation of what happened? Like, was it fully edited or was what you saw actually what happened in there?
Speaker 2: I think it was pretty bang on for my story of what happened. I mean, obviously I went through like an emotional rollercational that sort of stuff. I mean, that's probably one bit I feel was a bit more produced. Was the whole Jordan and Owen situation with me. I think that was a bit heavily produced, like the bro code sort of thing. They saw something and they jumped on it there. But again, Owen did pull a swifty of me, but they obviously played it up a lot more for the storyline. But apart from that, I think, yeah, everything that happened with me was pretty bang on. Yeah, what about yourself, do you think your story was told the right way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean most of the things that happened was pretty well told. When I watched the season back, I think watching it back, I realized that if the producers wanted you to come across really well, you did. So there were specific people, and there's a lot of them who some of the good parts of their personality were the only things that were shown. And then there was other people who got a really bad edit and they just took one small aspect of their personality that wasn't that nice and missed out all of the great stuff. And I mean, I just think no one's perfect. We all have good and bad and I think to be represented as solely the bad parts of your personality or solely the good parts of your persononality is not an accurate representation.
Speaker 2: So how I explain it to people when they ask about that where you represented the right way? I say, Look, at one time, there's twelve people in a house. How long does an episode run for?
Speaker 1: An hour?
Speaker 2: An hour? So what's that divided by sixty minutes divided by twelve people plus other bits? Right, plus challenges all that they can only hone into one bit of your personality to show that, because you're getting what three minutes of air time to like four minutes in an episode, So like, you could be like funny, you could be charming, you could be like sensitive, you could be like all this sort of stuff, but they only have enough time to show one bit of your personality for that episode, so they have to pick what one it is and run with it. So for me example, at the start, I was the emotional guy, right, and then they realized, wait, this guy's got more layers to him. Let's show the other sides, like the funny side, all this sort of stuff, which I was doing the whole time I was in there.
Speaker 1: But it only got shown as it.
Speaker 2: Progressed as they progress and they realized, do you know what I mean, Like, let's show more of this guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Because yeah, as human beings were all very multifaceted, and I guess when you go onto a reality TV show, you have to be mindful that a part of your personality that you might not be proud of it or might not like could be zoned in on and that can make you feel really insecure. I know that a lot of people came out of the show, pretty much everyone with really big mental health issues, and you know, it wasn't good, Like everyone was struggling. Everyone. There wasn't one person who went into Love Island season two that I know of that didn't come out and have some mental health issues after the show.
Speaker 2: So, for instance, Maurice, he was portrayed.
Speaker 1: As really badly on the show. He didn't get a good edit.
Speaker 2: I mean, I never clicked with the bloke. I couldn't. I found him very hard to talk to you, so I didn't have much time with.
Speaker 1: Him, whereas I did click with him. The way I saw Maurice is like he was a very grounded, wholesome, kind guy, and then there was this other side to a personality that I didn't even get to see firsthand from knowing him, that he was kind of like maybe that he got his back up a little bit if someone didn't like him, like Jesse didn't really like him, and he got his back up a bit and maybe didn't say the right thing, but they just zoned in on that, or like they made a big deal out of the fact that he had a girlfriend before the show, But actually what happened is he broke up with his girlfriend because he wasn't happy in the relationship and then decided to go on Love Island. And let me tell you, we've spoken about this. Every single person who was on Love Island was seeing someone before they came into Lover. We're all single, of course, we.
Speaker 2: Are always seeing sleeping, dating and whatever you want to call it. Like with someone it might not be official obviously, because you can't be taken to on the show. Everyone was seeing someone before that went on that show.
Speaker 1: If Maurice has broken up with his girlfriend to go on the show, I guess that's a little bit of a different story. But then at the same time, like this girl was like posting YouTube videos and like she saw it opportunity, she saw her opportunity. I mean, look, I just think they really portrayed him in a negative light. If that was me and I had been portrayed in that way, I would have been so upset.
Speaker 2: That was the one thing my old man said to me before I went on. He's like, are you, like, why are they going to make you look to be a dickhead? And I was like, well, no, I said, I'm not a dickhead. I'm not an asshole. I was like, if they can get enough content of me, to make me look like that, well, then I deserve it. But I was like, I know who I am, I know what I'm about, so I'll be fine when I go on.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought. I was like, I feel like I'm a good person to my core. Yeah, if I lose my mind one too many times, that's on me.
Speaker 2: I definitely lost my mind a couple of times in there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, So, I mean, there was two things that happened where I felt like it wasn't really a true reflection of what happened. The first one was there was three girls and we got to choose to send either you, oh when Jared all Maurice home. Yeah, and we all chose to send Jared home, and the producers basically said, I don't think that's the right choice.
Speaker 2: This was the night when we were up till like four am, we're doing that ceremony.
Speaker 1: It was brutal, Yeah, and the producers we were very sleepy, and I pretty much stuck to my guns and I was like, no, we want to send Jared home. It was a two by one like me and Cathy wanted to send Jared home, and Carty wanted to send Maurice home, and in the end because we were so exhausted from the show, we ended up just saying okay, fine, like we'll send Maurice home, Like that's what you guys want. Doesn't seem like we got We're going to be staying here up all night, put us to bed, and let us move on with life. And honestly, I felt really bad when Maurice went home because that wasn't our choice, that was the production company's choice. And then the second thing, I don't.
Speaker 2: Even remember that Marie. I was too busy.
Speaker 1: Crime The second thing that I felt like was a misrepresentation was just before the finale, the producer came up to Josh and said, we're gonna ask you if you love Anna in the finale, just so you know, like we think you that you do love her. Yeah, And I guess it was kind of just implying that, like it would be good for the show and the ratings if he told me he loved me in the finale episode. And so basically we were in here and makeup before we filmed the finale. Is it finale? I don't know if I'm saying right.
Speaker 2: Don't ask me.
Speaker 1: Anyway, And yeah, we were in here and makeup, and Josh pulled me aside and said, Hey, Anna, I just want you to know that I love you. And I was like, oh, like, I love you too, and he's like, just so you know, the producers are going to ask me when we film the final episode, and I'm going to say I love you, but I just wanted to say it privately first to you before I basically said it on national television, so I guess from a public perspective watching it, he told me he loved me on air, but actually he had told me an hour prior, so it was that the.
Speaker 2: Hair and makeup before we went out to the finale. Yep, Yeah, everyone's a bit pissed on Champagne. I remember that, all right, guys. So we have only just hit the tip of the iceberg on all this Love Island goss, haven't we ona.
Speaker 1: Yes, this has been so juicy and honestly, we have just begun telling you, guys all of the juicy gosp from Love Island. So we've decided to make this episode into two parts. The next part is coming very soon, so keep track of our socials to make sure you don't miss the drop of that. Okay, guys, until next time, see you later.