Speaker 1: From the Skying Center. This is Paul Murray Live. Thank you, Shari.
Speaker 2: Pope Francis has died, as you know, the news came to us just before six pm straight in Eastern time. And the process that will now take place to elect his successor that will begin in a few days after the funeral, which is expected in the next week. Then nine days of formal morning inside the Catholic Church. Then paper conclave can be held most likely anywhere between fifteen to twenty days after the death of a pontiff. Obviously that'll be our focus at the start of the show. We'll be going live to Europe in a moment or two time. And then of course we're back to the election, because tomorrow is the day when the very first votes will be cast in an election that is they fork in the road for Australia about whether he continues on the path that it currently is, one that many people say is the wrong track, that every poll has told us is the wrong track right now, or whether we'll have an opportunity to start things over again to get fresh, new and focused leadership. We'll talk about that of course, as always this evening no zooks now left East.
Speaker 3: This Monday night.
Speaker 2: Matt Canavan here Freier Leech as well. Looking forward to them, and don't forget this Sunday night, Calgooley. If you can get anywhere near that beautiful part of Western Australia, love to see you. We're going to be there Sunday, going to be in Perth for Anzac Day and in Cawgooley on Sunday if you'd like to join us. Ourtown at skynews dot com, ourtown at skynews dot com dot au. So Pope Francis has passed away. He's done so on what is referred to as Easter Monday in places like Australia, but he was part of formal services yesterday as late as yesterday at the Vatican. Extraordinary thing to see the while obviously in the final full day of his life. He was being driven through the crowds, an extraordinary sight so close to his death. The statement from the Vatican came just around six pm Australium Eastern time.
Speaker 1: Tonight car you see me forlier.
Speaker 4: Dear brothers and sisters, with deep sorrow, I must announce the death of our Holy Father Francis at seven point thirty five this morning. The Bishop of Rome, Francis returned to the House of the Father. His entire life was dedicated to the service of the Lord and his Church. He taught us to live the values of the Gospel with fidelity, courage, and universal love, especially toward the poorest and most marginalized. With immense gratitude for his example as a true disciple of the Lord Jesus, we commend the soul of Pope Francis to the infinite merciful love of the Triune God.
Speaker 2: Born and served in Argentina, he became the first Pope of the Americas. That happened some thirteen years ago. He was a humble man and a humble man who didn't even believe he was to become pope. In fact, he had a returned ticket booked ahead of the conclave that, of course was called after the previous pope had announced that he was going to step down. He of course did so before the end of his life, before eventually dying in solitude within the walls of the Vatican. Channel nine one of the many that have put together a look back at an extraordinary life to become the leader of more than a billion Catholics around the world.
Speaker 5: Two hundred and sixty five popes had come before him, but his was a papacy of firsts, the first pope from the Americas, the first pope from the Southern hemisphere, the first Jesuit in the role. Born in Buenos Aires in nineteen thirty six, Jorge Mario Bergoglio was the son of Italian migrants who escaped fascist Italy. In twenty thirteen, at the age of seventy six, his fellow cardinals elected him leader of the world one point three billion Catholics.
Speaker 2: The process of selecting a new pope will be a decision made by the cardinals of the world, who are on their way as we speak to Rome to make that holy choice. In the past couple of hours, these live photos which come from Vatican City, these live pictures, I should say, the empty square out the front of the Vatican, and anyone who's been lucky enough like I have in our lives to be able to visit this incredible place, of course, a nation amongst the many nations of the world, and right in the middle of Rome. It is its own country, of course, Vatican City. There are many thousands which are making their way to mourn the passing of the Pope, and also many will stay through the process of his funeral, and then even more will be there upon the announcement of the next Pope. The process of the conclave, which is the process by which the cardinals of the world will vote for whom becomes the successor and the head of Catholic Church, is one that fictionalized in a film that was nominated for Best Picture this year called Conclave. At times ridiculous film, but still an interesting insight into the privacy and the positioning that does take place, because this is the ultimate center of power for as I say, bidding people around the world again Channel nine with what happens next and the process of selecting the next Pope.
Speaker 6: What you will see over the coming days is that square fill up with pilgrims from around Europe and indeed further afield as they come to pay tribute to Pake Francis, who has died at the age of eighty eight. Of course, the death of a pontiff triggers a huge transition for the Catholic Church. After Pove Francis is farewell, the new head of the church needs to be appointed in what is truly a deeply symbolic process.
Speaker 2: Menyful as well, not just symbolic. In a moment we will be crossing live to Rome. But first some of the reaction that has happened around the world. His Majesty King Charles has released the following statement. My wife and I most deeply saddened to learn of the death of Pope Francis. Our heavy hearts have been somewhat eased, however, knowing that his Holiness was able to share an Easter greeting with the church and the world that he served with such devotion.
Speaker 1: Throughout his life and ministry.
Speaker 2: His Holiness will be remembered for his compassion, his concern for the unity of the Church, and for his tireless commitment to the common causes of all people of faith and to those of goodwill who work on the benefit or work for the benefit of others. In Australia, the Prime Minister spoke just after the news.
Speaker 7: His message that he sent out echoed in our region. During his historic visit to Indonesia, Papu, New Guinea, Singapore and tim or less Stay, the first pope from the Southern Hemisphere was close to the people of Australia. For Australian Catholics. He was a devoted champion and loving father. Pope Francis lived out his faith and vocation in word and deed. He was truly inspirational.
Speaker 2: The alternative Prime Minister has also released a statement following the news.
Speaker 1: On behalf of the coalition.
Speaker 8: I expressed my condolences to Australians of Catholic and Christian faith upon the very sad news of the death of the two hundred and sixty sixth Pontiff. His Holiness, Pope Francis served God with the utmost devotion throughout his life. He was the first pope from the Jesuit order and the first Latin American pope. He lived frugally and simply, above all else, he was driven by Christ's values of mercy and forgiveness.
Speaker 2: Colin Flynn is the Vatican correspondent for the Catholic News Network and he joins us now at live from Rome at this solemn time column. The process that is going to be playing out, we'll get to that in a moment. But how would you describe the papacy?
Speaker 1: That is just.
Speaker 9: Well, I always say that the papacy is in the eye of a beholder. You know, there are some that celebrated the life in the papacy of Pope Francis, others who condemned it. But I can tell you for certain that this news has come as a shock to all of us. I was there in Saint Peter's Square yesterday for the celebration of the beautiful Easter Sunday Mass with all the flowers from the Netherlands adorning Saint Peter's Basilica, celebrated by a cardinal, of course, not by Pope Francis. But at the end of the Mass, the crowds chanted Viva el Papa, Viva el Papa, and sure enough the curtains of the main balcony of Saint Peter's Basilica opened up and out came Pope Francis, looking weaker and vulnerable because of his battle with recent double pneumonia, but he managed to say two sentences. He said, brothers and sisters, good morning, and I wish you a happy Easter. You know, this papacy, right from the beginning, has been completely different, because he has been a pope of first obviously, the first from Latin America, the first Jesuit, but then the first try and take a more simplistic approach to the papacy. He wanted to reject many of the formalities again, something that was celebrated by some and others said, what the tradition, the beauty, the symbolism behind each of these things that maybe you are pushing to the side, but you know, take for example, his first papal trip after becoming pope in twenty thirteen. He could have went to one of the world's great cathedrals. He could have went to a wealthy Catholic country, but instead he went to the island of Lampadusa, off the coast of Italy, where the migrants wash up when they're making their journey from North Africa into Europe.
Speaker 3: He went there to.
Speaker 9: Express his closeness to those migrants, and that really was one of the trusting points of his entire papacy, being there for people on the margins. He traveled the world. I was lucky to go with them to places like Mongolia, sauth Sidan, Iraq, even countries where there were very little Catholic populations, sometimes even no Catholics whatsoever. But with pop Francis, when he saw the pain and suffering in others, when he saw there was a knee he wanted to be there, and you know he took the name Francis and Francis of ASSISI a saint known for his devotion to a life of poverty and of simplicity and have been close to nature. And you know he would often say, preach the gospel and if necessary, use words. And really that's what Pope Francis did for the past twelve years or so, gestures every day showing his commitment to the poor and those on the margins.
Speaker 1: Colin.
Speaker 2: The proximity that you've had to him professionally and whether you've been able to garner personal insights, give me an idea about behind the behind closed door man, about what he would do in his private time. Was he a person who was constantly having the deepest of conversations about faith or was he the type of person who we may be surprised about some of the things which took his attention when he had a moment to himself.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't want to elaborate my closeness to him. I did meet him on a number of occasions, and traveling with them to these countries, you would get an opportunity to meet him on the papal flight that was always the beautiful thing. When you were flying to a certain country, he would come back and greet you, each journalist individually. He'd have a moment to say hello and exchange a few words. But you know, it was very special. Actually, my wife and I we recently got married a few months ago, and you know, every Wednesday, the Pope would have his general audience where he would greet the public, but if you had just recently been married, you could get up close to the front. And because we both work at the Vatican as journalists, we had their press cards. So two days before he was hospitalized, I went to his final general audience. My wife and I got right up to the front and we got to speak to him for a couple of moments. He signed his book for us, he gave us an image of the blessed family, and then I just exchanged a few words about being on the trips with him. But you know, he's a complex figure. And you know that is not to say that no pope is not complex, but I think Pope Francis, you know, you look at Pup Benedict the sixteenth, he was a theologian, He was a deep thinker, he was a lecture that's the world he came from. Pop Francis was more about the gestures, stopping the popemobile to bless a baby, to embrace someone who was sick, washing the feet of the prisoners. He liked more of those moments than those symbolic gestures, I think, and I think, that's what the world will remember him for. But of course I did many moments with him in the papal palace and on the trips nice I would call them cordial greetings.
Speaker 2: Beautifully said, as a person of deep faith who doesn't just commit professionally but obviously personally, this moment for you, this moment as a Catholic, what does it mean for those of us who, in my case, I don't share the faith, but I deeply respect the faith? What does this moment mean? I don't seek for you to speak on the behalf of a billion people, but perhaps just yourself and your wife.
Speaker 9: You know what, I'm going to speak on behalf of one point foward billion people. You know what. Of course, there's great sadness in a moment like this. The feeling that I had this morning when I woke up and speaking to my wife, it felt like a grandfather had passed. It was just that kind of shock, like a family member had passed away again. As I have said covering this, there are people who really celebrated his papacy, others confused by bits of it that will all be debated in weeks and months to come. But now, on the day of his passing, I think the thing to remember is it's all about Easter. Just think about this. He passed away the day after Easter, and he gave a speech yesterday, even though he couldn't speak. He had written a twenty minute speech which he handed to the Master of Ceremonies to read. And it's actually extremely poignant that he passed away just after this his last message to the world because in it, while he called for peace and an end to conflict in places like Ukraine and the Middle East and so on. He said, today is all about the Easter message. Jesus is alive and Jesus is real. He said, He's not in the tomb. We look for him in the tomb, but the tomb is empty. He is among us, he is in the face of others. He said, today is a day when light has won over darkness, when good has triumphed over evil. Truth has won over falsehoods. That was the message that he gave, the last message to the world before he passed away. It's sad that he passed. It is a terrible thing that we will mourn. But this is the tapestry of life. And now we will have the conclave and his successor, and the Catholic faith goes on.
Speaker 2: As you speak to the conclave, there are two hundred and fifty two living cardinals amongst us and spread across the world. Those under the age of eighty will enter and make the choice of the next pope. That's one hundred and thirty five of them. Give us an idea about how that group of cardinals has been shaped by this pope. Will the conclave essentially be in the model of the pope that has just passed or many of course, who Benedict perhaps had put in place. Give us an idea of the ideological sense of those one hundred and thirty five that will be making their choice.
Speaker 9: Yeah, for sure. The ideological split. Now it really has leaned more towards Pope Francis, as he has elected more cardinals than any pope in recent history, which you know, if you look at it from an earthly point of view, and the Catholic Church is, of course an institution we believe a link to the divine, but it is not divine, as we too well know, it is a humanly institution. So if you were a betting man, you would say, well, the odds are increased that the next pope, the successor will be someone who shares and the beliefs, the emphasis and the styles of Pope Francis. But you know, they have a great saying here in Italy in that when you go into the conclave of a pope as a hot favorite, you can back out a humble cardinal, because we believe the Holy Spirit is in charge. And while they have favorites, there's another saying in Rome here where they say fat Pope, skinny Pope, Fat Pope, skinny Pope.
Speaker 3: So it leans.
Speaker 9: Conservative, it goes back liberal, it leans conservative, so you just have to wait and see. Look, Pope Benedict the sixteenth had a much different style, although really when you read the teachings a lot of the teachings of Pope Francis and Benedict, they're actually very similar. But the emphasis was different, the tone was different. So Pope Francis was a big change in that tone and a shifting style of this papacy. Many people say, right, Pope at the right time when scandals were engulfing the church around the world. So we'll have to see what this papacy will be. But I can tell you what you mentioned conclave and yes you were right. Ludicrous moments throughout the film, but a lot of truth in it as well. In terms of politics and people forming alliances. You know, the politics will be in play. But here's what we know. In the past. Many of the cardinals, in fact all of them were all Italian and they were European, so they all had a sense of each other. They knew each other when it came time to a conclave, they kind of had a favorite. Now, because Pope France is wanting to represent those in the margins, he has picked a cardinal in for example, South Sudan, one in Mongolia, which is great because it represents the universality and the true diversity of the Catholic faith. A lot of these people don't know each other, so when it comes time to vote in the conclave, yes, they'll hear each other make their pre conclave speeches, but they'll be saying well, can I vote for this person? Do I really know what they're about and what they've done for? Can we put the papacy in their hands? So we think this could be a slightly longer papocy, a bit more complicated than usual, but we'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 1: Colin.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry these are the circumstances that we meet, but a pleasure to talk to you. We could listen to your accent all night, and thank you for your insights. They are detailed and a man of faith. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you all the best, my pleasure.
Speaker 9: Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: Colin Flymm, what a lovely man, the Vatican correspondent for the Catholic News Network. All right, to the Australian election, and let's keep the focus on that now, white because voting starts tomorrow. There are twelve days until the general election and the result will be known, but tomorrow is the first opportunity that Australians will get to vote. Now we know that about half of all people will vote early. I've got a feeling, because we are in between public holidays, there might be a bit of a surge in those past few days. In the first few days. There are a huge number of people that have already made their decision. There will be those that will wait until the very last minute. They will either make their choices based off a worldview or just who they think is going to win. That's the joy of compulsory voting. But I wanted to take this opportunity as we now are the night before the first vote could be cast, to say vote early. If you have a strong belief one way or the other, vote early. Nothing's going to change in the next couple of weeks. We know what this government has been for the past three years, we know what the alternative would be for the next three years, and I've got to say, let's look back at what was promised versus the reality, and I think the choice becomes pretty clear. Remember what the promise was at the start of this government that our labor government would lower the cost of living.
Speaker 1: The reality, of course, is that.
Speaker 2: The living standards of Australians have fallen back to the levels of the nineteen fifties. One point six Midian homes are in mortgage stress because of twelve interest rate rises. Two out of three cannot afford rent. Ymenian people are on the verge of homelessness. Three point seven million households will run out of food this week. Thirty thousand businesses have gone bust. Behind them, workers at the heart of them, people who perhaps lost everything, backing themselves. The government that promised that a lower cost of living would be the case has delivered the highest supermarket prices you have ever paid. Labor as a government has decided to increase taxes on alcohol, cigarettes and petrol to the highest levels ever. The forecast is not for a budget deficit just for the next four years, but for the next forty years. Australia is in one point two trillion dollars worth of debt. Remember at the previous election they promised that electricity would be cheaper. They even put a number on that figure that we've all heard so many times before the last election, but so few after it.
Speaker 7: Power prices by two hundred and seventy five dollars and seventy five dollars a year. There'll be reduction for households of two hundred and seventy five dollars.
Speaker 2: This time he won't even say just how low your power price will go.
Speaker 1: As they get.
Speaker 2: Ready to spend hundreds of billions of dollars more, moving from the system that worked to the one that they hope will work into the future.
Speaker 4: You and Chris Bowen keep saying that renewables are the cheapest form of power.
Speaker 3: When will we see our power bills come down?
Speaker 7: They are, Well, what we know is that renewables are the cheapest form of power, not because of what we say, but because of what the Australian Energy Market operator says.
Speaker 3: So when do the bills come down?
Speaker 7: And what the market is delivering?
Speaker 3: And just stick me with your plan, mister albinezy, when will the bills come.
Speaker 7: Down under our plan? We know that renewables are the cheapest form of power. Gas is now thirteen dollars worth thirty.
Speaker 1: Dollars, and when we came cheaper, when.
Speaker 7: We kind offerdein is cheaper than thirty.
Speaker 3: When do we see the bills come down?
Speaker 7: Well, what we need to do is to roll out renewable to make sure there's energy security.
Speaker 2: The case for change as well is the suffering of cost of living, the single biggest issue for the past three years, one that has changed people's lives, one that has driven people into poverty. As many more are scared of that poverty at the very time when you were feeling that the Treasurer and potential next Prime Minister of Australia should this one be returned. Jim Chalmers, along with Anthony I. Benezi, Well, they made a decision. That decision was to take fifteen hundred dollars as an automatic tax return off ten million workers. Instead, at the time when they decided to take that money away, they spent more than four hundred million dollars on a referendum to change the constitution. This could have happened quickly, could have happened early, but instead this was the entirety of the political conversation for an entire year. What would four hundred and eleven million dollars have done to the people who, among others, try to offer food to those that are running out, or housing to those who are about to lose. Remember what those who thought sixty forty at the start for yes would be sixty forty at the end, that you were a dinosaur or a dickhead if you didn't agree with the change that was in place. This is a government who, both through its Communications Minister and Prime Minister, tried on multiple occasions to introduce a law to censor the Internet to financially penalize companies that would not take down what the government determined not to be the truth. If you live on the land or care about its future, remember the law of nature positive this would be something like the heritage laws in Western Australia on steroids, the promises for it to come back in a re elected Albanesi government. If like me, you care about Australia Day because of what it symbolizes about our future, not about the date on which it sits because of our past, of course they deride you as being somebody who's only interested in a culture war. The same about our flag, the same about our sense of self as a nation. When it comes to our schools, the government will tell you that if you care about what is being taught, then somehow again you are locked in some sort of a culture war. But the reality is that after three years and again hundreds of billions of dollars, the NAPLAND results from just last year show us that one in three students in year in primary school and into high school don't meet the basics when it comes to literacy and numeracy. Do we need three more years of the each way elbow, saying one thing doing another. Put simply, the man who has lied his way into office, and due to things like many scare seeks to lie his way back into office. Elected Prime Minister would no doubt love the luxury that he enjoyed until his posters told him not to. That's what we called airbus albow. And while the country avoided a recession, the individuals in it sat in one for the best part of two and a bit years. That's albonomics. Vote tomorrow. Don't wait for the sausage. You can turn up still at your public school and you can help them with their fundraiser.
Speaker 1: But vote tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Vote for your choice for which way we go in the fork in the road. Don't be gas lip by what they try to talk about. Don't be distracted by what the media says are the issues of the day. Vote with your head, vote with your heart, and vote with a clarity about whether Australia is headed in the right or the wrong direction. We're twelve days to go, one day until the voting begins. Today, Peter Dutton was making announcements about crime, particularly focused on crime in and around Victoria, where we know that it's a major issue, major issue, particularly in suburban areas that have had enough of it, and they don't care about what's a state or a federal issue. This was the alternative Prime Minister on the trail and on the focus today of an issue which the Poles say is one of his strongest.
Speaker 8: Singular, biggest issue that was raised. People just worried about crime in their own neighborhood and that is the case in New South Wales and in my state of Coinsland and elsewhere.
Speaker 3: That's the reality.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister, of course, superseded by the events of today. But as for the way the media has interacted with these people over the past couple of days. A reelection of a government that has been able to successfully change the subject in the past few months from the circumstances and the disapproval that it has had for the past three years is largely being helped out by a media who allows the Prime Minister to consistently lie about supposed and imagined plans of the opposition. They never push him on the detail of his own and they ask questions like this on those.
Speaker 3: Issues are about the polls and the momentum being on your side. Are you concerned though about the.
Speaker 10: Possibility of a protest vote emerging that people think that they is going.
Speaker 1: To win pretty comfortably.
Speaker 4: Where to reelective labor, government do anything to encourage GPS, psychologists, specialist healthcare workers, and.
Speaker 2: The same group of people happy with the way that things are either ideologically or their proximity to power. And one of the most corrosive factors that exists in many parts of the media is access. And the only way that you get a story is to stay close to a story. And the way to stay close to a story is to not upset the principle of the story. It means anything that threatens that arrangement, well, you ask them questions like this.
Speaker 10: Your policy today focuses a lot on trying to stop crime in its tracks, but it does little to fix the underlying issues that lead people in the community to turn to crime in the first place.
Speaker 1: Prepole starts tomorrow.
Speaker 2: About fifty percent of people expected to vote before May three.
Speaker 3: Can you pull it back from here?
Speaker 2: Vote as soon as you can. We're not the American system where we have to bank a vote. Just my point is saying this vote as soon as you can. With the clarity of the failures of the past three years front and center. It's not about the media, it's not about me, it's not about your mate. It's about how you feel about the direction of our wonderful country. Quick break back with more No Sooks, No Lefties for the rest of the night. Looking forward to this pull Marielive on a Monday night.
Speaker 1: Thanks for watching No Sooks, No Lefties tonight. Here Frei Leitch is with us.
Speaker 2: She's doing her best for the cause, fighting them on social media.
Speaker 1: I love it. She's in there, and of course.
Speaker 2: The wonderful centat of Matt Canavan. He joins us from his home in North Queensland. Matt, you're a man of faith and specific faith when it comes to being a Catholic. Your thoughts on the passing of the Pope The news tonight that Pope Francis has passed away aged eighty eight.
Speaker 3: It's quite a shock, Paul.
Speaker 11: He's obviously not been in great health for a while, but we all thought he was perhaps through the worst there after coming out of hospital. But now I just hope and pray that Pope Francis is with our God, the God we believe in. He leaves a wonderful legacy as a.
Speaker 3: Man of action. The Catholic faith, the Christian faith is a faith of action. It's not just about thinking and reading and worrying about the Bible.
Speaker 11: It's about trying to act the best you can and carry Christ's cross. And Pope Francis definitely did that in his life through his wonderful compassion for the poor. And he's setting his own example by living humbly both as a priest through a long career and also as a pope too in the beauty of the Vatican.
Speaker 3: He lived a very humble life and it's a great example to all of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Again, turning to the Muscless, much less significant matters to do, but obviously important when it comes to a federal election. But moments like these deep for people of faith. Again, I don't hide that I'm not a person of faith, but I'm deeply respectful of people of faith and people of different faiths who recognize the significance of the passing of a person of such eminence for so many people around the world.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and I think it should be hopefully a moment for us all to kind of come together and remember what's really important. It's easy to get caught up in the cut and thrust of everyday politics. Who's spending on what, Who's going to fix this roundabout or that crossing? But actually, we are all here on this earth for something so much bigger than that. And I think people like the Pope really remind us that there is a higher and a better way to live our lives, one that is all about self sacrifice and really just living your life for the good of others. And I think that's an inspiring example for us sitting here, and hopefully as well for our political leaders.
Speaker 2: Beautifully beautifully said, all right, well let's talk about the election. And yes, that is a clunky gear change, but there has to be one because budding starts tomorrow.
Speaker 1: My view is, go and vote tomorrow, you.
Speaker 2: Know, go back in a couple of Saturday's time and go and have your sausage sizzle and pay for the cake stores and all that. It is annoying when half of everyone votes early that those cake stores don't make what they used to.
Speaker 1: But decision time is now.
Speaker 2: Matt perfect example about where we have gone in the past couple of years. The bloke who promised to make things better, everything is a whole lot more expensive. You went shopping but you went armed with the prices from before this government was elected and compared it to the reality of three years under them.
Speaker 3: That's right, Paul.
Speaker 11: Michelle Ander and I went down for the local woolies today and I'd found some old catalogs from believe it or not, pre poll three years ago. So the two weeks that we're just about to go into three years ago before Anthony Albansi was Prime Minister.
Speaker 3: And just to get these figures right, the shopping.
Speaker 11: Trolley I recreated was would have cost one hundred and thirty two dollars before Anthony Albansi. Today it's set Michelle and I back two hundred and fifteen dollars, a sixty three percent increase. Just to take some examples, yere, Paul, I've got the catalogs here in front of me. WeetBix was a dollar ninety three years ago, a dollar ninety for a medium sized box of wheak picks four dollars forty today four dollars forty Yrbreki's costing a lot more. Cup of tea. You might want a cup of tea to calm yourself down after that, But Twining's five dollars sixty for an eighty pack here today that set us back thirteen dollars.
Speaker 3: Just unbelievable. I know everybody knows this.
Speaker 11: You inherently notice when you see that the counter just go up so quickly with hardly having anything in your trolley. But it is so stark when you see it here, and it's an indictment of this government. I mean a big part of it is because energy is costing so much now to this government. They're obsession with renewables. They haven't just not delivered you your children's seventy.
Speaker 3: Dollars five dollar power cut.
Speaker 11: They haven't delivered a power cut to all of the businesses that manufacture these goods, that transport these goods, your groceries. And that means a cost because the cost of power is important to the cost of everything. That means when the Anthony Alberinezi and the Labor Party let the cost of power go up, the cost of everything goes up. And I just don't think we can afford another three years of this sixty percent increase in this shopping Truly, in three years do we want that again for the next three Well.
Speaker 2: And also really important here, a lot of this stuff made here right, packaged here, So then you're going to turn around say, oh, the international shock from this and all of that, which is generally the way they talk. And yes, of course inflation has existed in other places, but things can be exacerbated by.
Speaker 1: This great want to make things in Australia.
Speaker 2: Well, if they're going to do it anytime in the next ten years, it's going to be under an energy market that has to pay off the hundreds of billions of dollars in transition. Freyer, I think this is a really interesting moment because, look, we know where the polls are, we know where the bookies are, so there's no surprise if we end up where all of they say. But the reason I went through with such specificity and focus the receipts of the past three years versus the promise of the last three years is that that's what the election's about. And I hope there's lots of family conversations that happened this weekend when somebody's trying to sort of go off and talk about the thing they saw on Instagram. You know, you've engaged with some of the lefties that sort of want to go off.
Speaker 1: And just talk sort of pixie stuff.
Speaker 2: There's a reality about the number of homes that are hard to pay off, the number of rents that's almost impossible to get, the number of rental homes that is hard to get. All of these things are controlled by government. All of these things have an input from government, and I wouldn't be surprised. And again, I'm not talking about saying this dramatic reversal in what we all expect to be the case, but I think there's a lot of people that are laser focused and they have to remember the last three years, not the last.
Speaker 10: Three weeks exactly. And I think what Matt's shopping trip really shows is the concrete impact that this is having. It's shocking, and it's even more clear than what you get when you just see, you know, CPI or headline inflation statistics. It doesn't really break it down by what's actually impacting people on a day to day basis, and those things are your groceries, your mortgages, and both of those things your power bills. They are up dramatically and it does raise serious concerns. If this much damage has been done in just three years, what would another three is look like. Plus another three years with the Greens holding the country hostage. I mean that is just a terrifying prospect.
Speaker 2: Well, also, there's a question that is never asked of the people who may well end up being the people that prop the government up right.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's no deals are going to be.
Speaker 2: A deal has to be done to guarantee seventy six votes in the parliament to make sure that everything will pass, okay, and everything comes with the negotiation, and there is a price attached to it. Matt every Teal every Green says that we should move from the current climate targets up to seventy five percent climate cuts by twenty thirty. Why is the Prime minist never asked about this, because presumably this would be you know, it's an amended Lord, it's the law of the land, meaning the numbers downstairs, the numbers upstairs, the consequences of that dramatic change. And remember we were one percent of the world's problems. This is the consequence. It's not just about the past three weeks. I like this one. I don't like that one. I wish they this, I wish they that. Jeez, I wish somebody was a bit more of this. If you want that, go read Goldilock's books. Okay, in the real world there is a fork in the road. And in my view, we've seen one of these for three.
Speaker 1: Years and I don't want to do it again.
Speaker 11: Well, the promise is probably not asked that, Paul, because doesn't come on shows like yourself. It stays in the safe space of the ABC and the like. And our ministers, Peter and others go on the ABC. We also go on your show. We subject ourselves to all. But that's why the premise doesn't get asked about this. But there's not that he should because this government has kept their powder dry on this. You know, they were meant to set their twenty thirty five targets out of the Paris Agreement.
Speaker 3: Before the election.
Speaker 11: They haven't done that, clearly because they want to keep their options open for what is are suspected minority parliament where they may have to deal with the Greens or the Teals and others, and so they want to go into those negotiations with a complete open book. What that means though, that open book for them for Anthony, but easy means it's a close shop for you.
Speaker 3: You don't get to have your choice for this election.
Speaker 11: Then about what that target should be it's just a big blank check to the Labor party if you do that, and all those grocery costs I just went through.
Speaker 3: If we try and meet even tougher.
Speaker 11: Climate targets sooner, that's going to push the cost of everything up even more. And guess what, it won't change the temperature of the globe one iota either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the freshwater pole tells us that people have significant concerns about crime, obviously in regional areas and specifically in places like Victoria. Now we know how bad things have been, so much so that the left leaning government has had to pretend that they now care about it by all laws in some way to try to change the subject, to try to save going into the federal election. But even on Channel two seven thirty report when they were door knocking in the seat of Chisholm, a surprising reaction from a voter that they were expecting not to have this perspective. But guess what it was crime. I don't care if it's stayed, I don't care if it's federal. I want someone to do something about crime. And that is where Peter Dutton was today. I admire him particularly for his announcement when it comes to the National Register of Sex Offenders and pedophiles. This is madness. How this has not already happened. I don't care about their rights. I care about the protection of our kids. But his crime a potential secret weapon. Here Freyer, is something happening below the radar of the national and even maybe local media, where some people that you wouldn't expect that this would be number one is well and truly number one, and Peter Dutton's the only one talking about it totally.
Speaker 10: And before the last election, Albanezy said that he literally said this safety is the government's number one job, it is their first responsibility. But he has failed to time and time again over the last three years to actually keep Australian safe. And I reckon crime is more of an issue than we might think. We're based in Sydney, where you know, I don't even think really about you know, youth crime. But I have friends in Melbourne and I'm hearing stories quite often about attempted break ins, actual break ins. They're upgrading their security systems on their homes and when you feel like you were actually under direct threat. Cost of living, course, that's an issue health whatever, but personal safety and self preservation will always come first.
Speaker 2: Well, also there was that I'm just trying to go off the top of my head here, but Sibureau statistics numbers right, this is let's be straight here, past twelve months financial year twenty three twenty four, about forty thousand youth offenders, which means forty thousand victims all right, Of those, only about half end up going to court. How many of those do you think end up getting sentenced to juvenile detention. I'll give you the tip. It's eight hundred and twenty eight. It's less then two percent of the people that are interacting with police at the front door. So yes, state, federal, local. But the point here is man federal labor has done a spectacular job. Are the generations of deliberately confusing the issues of state, federal and local government. So let's not pretend there's some holy line that can't be crossed here.
Speaker 11: Well, there is a clear federal interaction here, particularly what we're seeing on the streets of Melbourne, and that's the rise of gang violences funded by list at tobacco and vaping sales. This government has made a big hay of saying, hey, we're going to try and crack down this stuff, but they've been totally unsuccessful here. In our view, there should be a more sensible approach to vaping. For one, we should seek to crack down the illegal important stuff. But by trying to crack down at all, all we're giving is a line of business to the worst among us, the gang gangs on our suburb streets, and then that flows over into territorial battles between who's got which gang's got which area to sell this black market stuff. Basically, the government has just spread themselves too thin here across too many illicit substances, and they're not able to control the crime. And so yes, the statistics you ran out about read out about who gets locked away and who gets convicted. That's largely a state level, But the controlling the finances of these gangs, the federal government has a huge role to suffocate that, and that's why Peter Dunt announced today that we've got a plan to crack down on that, to have a more sensible and targeted and focused approach. So we get down or we reduce the amount of money and profits these gangs can make and therefore the damage they can do to or with the wider society.
Speaker 1: All right, no looks now left? Is this Monday night quick break back with more.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about the Palmer preferences about whom they are going to hit the worst or help the most. Sadly, teals more than a sec here on pullm ree life.
Speaker 1: Thanks for watching.
Speaker 2: On the night that we have learned that Pope Francis has died, aged eighty eight.
Speaker 1: The papal conclave will be called after.
Speaker 2: The nine days of mourning, and that of course happens after his funeral, which can happen anywhere between four and six days from tonight. We're learning via the BBC that Pope Francis, prior to his death, had made a decision to have a much simpler and less ornate funeral than what is traditionally for many popes. In fact, i'll read directly from a BBC report here, which is that a papal funeral has traditionally been an elaborate affair, but Pope Francis recently approved plans to simplify the whole procedure. The late pontiff has opted for a basic wooden coffin and scrap the tradition of placing the pope's body on a raised platform for public viewing. Instead, mourners will be invited to pay their respects. Respects while his body remains inside the coffin with the lid removed. He will also be going and be laid the rest of the Basilica of Saint Mary in Rome. That'll be the first time that a pope has been buried outside of the Vatican in more than a century. Talking politics, here as those live pictures which are showing the ceremonies and majesty that is in and around these moments from Vatican City, with freier Leitch and with Senator Matt Canavan, both ready for tomorrow, Ready for poling, which of course is not just Saturday and two weeks. It starts tomorrow. Let's talk about Clyde Palmer and preferences. The trumpet of patriots made their decision to put everyone last, all right, So all one hundred and fifty one members of Parliament, they all go last. This is because he wants to change politics, he says, And you elect a whole new sweep of people. The only problem is, of course, many people have no idea who these candidates are. Why, because they've only been selected in the past month or so by his own admission. Why because the party's only been put up in its current form the past month. Now, when you put everyone last, it's interesting where you put your preferences. In a place like Bradfield, where it is a sitting Liberal MP, the Teal is the first person on the list, the Teal.
Speaker 1: These are the people that want to be Trumpian. I'll give you the tip. Who are the least Trumpian people in Australia. It'd be the Teals.
Speaker 2: But for some reason they're going to get the preference.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Now, because the margins of the seats that the Liberal Party is defending, many of them are a little bit tighter than some of the Labor Party seats that they are defending, this actually ends up hurting the coalition. Now let me tell you exactly the seats I double checked today. The trouble of Patriots' preference decision will hurt six Labor MPs and the seats are been long Gilmore.
Speaker 1: Menzies, Lyons, Lingyari and Patterson.
Speaker 2: But it's thirteen Liberal or National MPs in Deacon Sturt, Moore, can In, Casey Dixon, which of course is Peter Dutton's seat in Queensland, Banks Longman like Art Flynn, Bradfield, Wannan, Monash and Kauper.
Speaker 1: It could hurt the sorry.
Speaker 2: Could help the people who want to take some of those coalition seats like a teal in Bradfield one and monashal Kauper. That's why I list them twice. And of course the sixth City Teals in Kujong Warringer, Mickella Goldstein, Curtain and Wentworth. Now the reason again, anyone's free to do with whatever they want. It's his decision. And again I don't want to start the blood for you. We had for way too many years, all right. We remember though that in twenty nineteen, this center right party, he was pretty direct they didn't want Bill Shorten to be elected Prime minister. So Matt, why are they're sending preferences to the Teals to be the MP if they can't be the MP.
Speaker 3: Look, it's very bizarre, Paul.
Speaker 11: As you've said, this party is putting out there that to a vote for them is in some way vote for Donald Trump. But it's a bit like they're saying, Okay, we've got Donald Trump at the top of our ticket, but AOC is our vices. Yes, yes, Elizabeth Warrens in the cabinet. It's even weirder than a Labor Green Teal minority government, which we're all scared of. So look, there's a very simple way for people to avoid this outcome. It's just not vote for them. You don't have to. You don't have to vote for this party. And I know I've got a lot of feedback from people that are otherwise. I think toying with the idea of voting for Big Clive this has really turned them off.
Speaker 3: So you don't have to do that.
Speaker 11: You can tell other people about it, make sure other people voting this party know what they've done here. And of course, the other thing that you really can do with every one of your vote as you start, if you vote tomorrow, keep in mind the only thing you really have to do is just put the Labor Party last, or the Teal or the Green last. If they're your local MP, just put them last, the lgts, just put them all last, whichever one you've got in your seat. And it really doesn't matter what you do above that, but that's the most important thing.
Speaker 3: Put them down the bottom. You're in control of your vote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Frey, this is the other thing too, And again, I want people to just get in there and vote right. Get in do it because it's all countered on the same night.
Speaker 1: They don't turn around and.
Speaker 2: Wait two weeks for the That is essentially the largest booth that's countered on any one night. So the vote you cast tomorrow is counted on Saturday, May the third. Okay, So that's why there's no difference in terms of the the role out here. But Palmer and these preferences again send a right party that has positioned itself as going further to the right, literally having conversations with Tucker Carlson.
Speaker 1: Just a few months ago.
Speaker 2: But then they turn around and say, well, when it counts, it's a Green or it's a Teal, or it's the Labor Party.
Speaker 10: I think this is a complete betrayal, and I think many people who were perhaps disillusioned with the Liberal Party, disillusioned with the other mainstream options, may have moved towards trumpet of Patriots and would now be having serious buyers remorse. We saw the trumpet, well, hopefully now we saw the trumpet of patriots. Candidate in Flinder's come out and today and said he was completely blind sided. Put me last exactly because how can you in good conscience say you want a conservative values based government and then preference the Teals and Labor ahead of the Coalition. All you are guaranteeing is the most destructive government in Australian history, literal chaos for three years. But perhaps that's Clive's intent. Maybe he wants chaos for Australia. I don't know how he possibly could. If you love this country, you should be putting the Greens and Labor last.
Speaker 3: But it baffles me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also, I mean the reality is of any party that wants to stand and this is an issue which absolutely must be dealt with by the coalition, which is you can't pre select people four weeks before an election. They've got to be there in my view, within the first two months after an election. They've got to go to all the community events. I've got to go to all of They've got to meet as many people as possible, to connect with all of those networks. That is politics in reality. I mean, Matt knows that is the person who's got to represent an entire state. Right, You've got to get around to as many people as possible. And yes, advertising means you can blast over the top at the last minute. But if it's not built off that connection, well that's why some of those candidates aren't going to be there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I find it quite odd. Matt.
Speaker 2: I loved your post by the way, and I've got less than a minute here, so i'll be quick, but I loved your post over Eestera where you wanted people to remember those that had been done over by floods in western Queensland.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Look, Paula in the campaign slowed down a bit here, so I thought it was good opportunity to go and see some of those people that were so horrifically affected by those historic cloods.
Speaker 3: But it's not all derm and gloom. Don't believe all the media. I mean, there's all this catastrophism out there.
Speaker 11: Some people have lost a lot and they'll be very hard for them, but the country's never looked better. A lot of people have canceled their holidays because of that sensationalism in the media, and that's hurt other business, has been second round effects on other towns.
Speaker 3: But as I say, it has never looked better. It's just green, it's beautiful.
Speaker 11: It's the best time that you to head out there, so it's so much wonderful history. A bar called and long Reach Winton. I went down at Arimango as well. I've got a lovely natural history museum down there. Get out and see a great country, a great outback. It's never looked more beautiful.
Speaker 2: Bloody h Thank you very much, guys, do appreciate it. All the best for the next couple of weeks, but of course we'll talk to you many times between now and then. That's our show for tonight, no late debate. Instead we focus on matters to do with the passing of the Pope. Full coverage on the other side in a moment here on Sky News