Speaker 1: Gay Gruver's Tiffanyanne Kirkpatrick Jones, Bonelo, Craig, Anthony Harper, just rocking up for our fortnight they get together. It really isn't about you. I don't want to disappoint you. We just get together for us, so fuck ya. But look, if you want to join in, no that's not true. It's for you too. But it is a little bit self indulgent this fortnight they get together, but we do it anyway. Hi, Patrick, you know, it just occurred to me.
Speaker 2: I don't think we've done a shout out for like two years to ask people if there is anything in particular technology wise they would like us to talk about. Maybe you're looking for a new phone and you're just trying to decide whether to go Apple or Android, or maybe I don't know, you know, you want to get a better way of cleaning your teeth.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of phones, we'll go to Tiffany An Cook at a moment. But last night on the news they had some bloke on the news who was at the I don't know, some convention you'd know in Las Vegas or wherever, like the groundbreaking Tech for the next next year and the notorious foldable Samsung phone that they've fucked up and ran Bennett thirty five times. They've got a new one, and they reckon, it's amazing because it's the size of a phone. But then it folds out. I don't know why I held up my phone like you two don't know how big a phone is.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Greg, see if you can fold them in half.
Speaker 1: I'll fold you in half. Packn oragami boys.
Speaker 2: I think it's the yeah, consumer electronic show that's seldom less last but thank.
Speaker 1: You, thank you, And then but they reckon it's great. But also they had another thing, a ring that goes on the finger like the one that Tiff has or I don't know if both of you have. But the new Samsung one that they reckon is amazing and puts all your data into your phone. So I better get one of those or not?
Speaker 4: Is it a real good at tech?
Speaker 1: Shut up? I figured out my earphones. Are you proud of me? Look at me?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 5: You know, you can tuck them around the back of your head so it ain't seen it really, You've got massive lats so they might not reach them in my phone.
Speaker 1: Shut up, Shut up? Tis been yelling at me. Everyone tiss been yelling at me for two years at least to wear headphones. So I've compromised and I've got these little fucking I was going to say something that really would have got me in trouble. These little weird looking things that just hang on my ears. What do you call these tips?
Speaker 4: Just earbuds? Stick in your ears? Earbuds?
Speaker 1: How long did it take you to learn how to put them on? A bit? And then then TIV was teaching me how to buy things online last night at the gym. I asked her and she was laughing at how handicapped I am in that space.
Speaker 5: Patrick, he doesn't know how to buy something online just on Amazon where there's a big button that says buy now.
Speaker 1: I've never bought anything. I get a bit scared. A quick quiz again?
Speaker 2: Sure tell me what forward collision avoidance assist is on a car.
Speaker 1: I assume you're talking not in Southland, when you're in the queue to pay for your stuff. Yep, that would be yes, so that you don't crash into something in front of you.
Speaker 3: What about what about lane keep assist?
Speaker 1: Yep, got that on my car as well. You monitor blind spot view monitors. These are all things you're reading off my car, are they? Yeah? Yeah, you've got these. Does it tell you that it can park itself in? That I can get out in the driveway and it puts itself in the garage.
Speaker 2: You'd have really tight fit there, so maybe it would be helpful exactly.
Speaker 1: Tiff, good morning, How are you?
Speaker 6: Good morning?
Speaker 1: Good thanks, terrific. Welcome to Friday seven thirty five and thriving metropolis. What's the temperature in baland Patrick as we speak?
Speaker 2: Well, I stoked up the fireplace before I jumped in. Now it's the four point five degrees.
Speaker 1: It's warm.
Speaker 4: Jumped in the fireplace to be.
Speaker 1: Stoked it up. Be stoked it up? All right, let's jump into it. So, this, of course is tech central. I try to stay out of the way. Really, it's the Tiff and Patrick show. I'm just did to ask dumb shit that some of you, not all of you, because some of you are brilliant, but some of you are dumb fucks like me when it comes to technology. You know it, I know it. So I'm here to ask the questions on behalf of the dummies. Patrick, where do you want to start? My friend?
Speaker 2: Four point five billion year old Lego, Well not quite four point five billion year old Lego, but Lego that has been made from a four point five billion.
Speaker 1: Year old media rite has been put together.
Speaker 2: In conjunction with Lego and the European Space Agency.
Speaker 3: I know I shouldn't find that super exciting, but I do to, so.
Speaker 1: Tiff and I are shocked that you find that exciting. Okay.
Speaker 2: So the reason is so this media rite was found in Northwest Africa in the year two thousand and so Lego has worked with the A Space Agency to try.
Speaker 1: To build a Lego block because.
Speaker 2: They believe that a lot of the materials that make up the Lego block or this metia righte, actually are familiar with materials on the Moon, and they reckon if you're going to build a base on the Moon, you want to be able to build it on the Moon from materials that are there from the moon dust. So this was a really interesting experiment and it makes sense do it with Lego.
Speaker 3: You can build everything out of Lego.
Speaker 5: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Cool, You're not excited at all, are you? No? I just think building shit on the moon's a stupid idea. The atmosphere can't support life. You can't grow shit there. Let's do a cost benefit analysis on making the Earth better versus trying to fucking you know, habitat is that the word the moon? Like, let's just spend all those trillions on the Earth that we currently live in, and fuck all your plans for living on the moon.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, so much research went into the first Moon landings and it pushed technology so far forward, and space research does so much to help us here as well.
Speaker 1: There are molecules that.
Speaker 2: You can put together now in the International Space Station that you can't put together on Earth because it's zero gravity.
Speaker 3: So look, I know what you're saying, and it's a bit.
Speaker 2: Of a long you know, you're drawing back a long pon, But I think he needs to play the long game and it does help in the long term.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'm saying. Two billion people who live on less than three dollars a day don't give a fuck about this. They just want clean drinking water, they want safety, they want clothes and warmth. So fuck your moon plans. Let's get all the people on Earth looked after first.
Speaker 3: I wish I had my AI lie detector.
Speaker 2: Now I don't know if you be genuinely believing the shit that's coming out of him.
Speaker 1: And no, I'm kidding. No, two billion people or more probably two million people, two billion people live in poverty. I'm pretty sure. Not worried about what's fucking happening with the space station.
Speaker 2: I know inequality is just staggering, But I don't have gold tips to taps either.
Speaker 1: Relative to a lot of people you do. But it is it interesting thing. Were you a lego kid or not? You would have been more Yeah, if you were, you ever ever a lego kid?
Speaker 4: A little bit more a Tonka truck kid?
Speaker 1: You know? Were you really like we fuck around a bit? Were you really a tomboy? I'm probably going to get in trouble when I say I can't see you ever having played with dolls? Send the emails.
Speaker 4: Do you have dolls? I remember a Barbie, right, I don't know if it had a head.
Speaker 1: I had a Steve Austin doll. Fucking If anyone had dolls on this little trio, it was you. You probably had all the dolls.
Speaker 5: Wait.
Speaker 2: I had a bionic Man doll, Steve, do you remember that? And had a button you could push in the back and it had a bionic arm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we used to. We used to flick rulers at school off the edge of the desk, so it sounded like him running. Do you remember that? Yeah? Yeah, And our local milk bar had accessories. I could buy a super.
Speaker 2: Kid at an inflatable raft and everything.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure they're doing the equivalent of that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that says a lot about me, So tiff Sorry, I interrupted you. I just got excited talking about dolls.
Speaker 1: Did you have dolls? You did?
Speaker 4: You said I had some dolls I had did have Tonka trucks too?
Speaker 1: And what that?
Speaker 4: Match box cars?
Speaker 5: To throw them at my brothers, to piff them at my brother and get in trouble because they're hard. That's not getting shot if you throw all the match box car e someone Wow.
Speaker 1: So who would have thought young Tiffany and cooking Lon Seston throwing hard objects at.
Speaker 4: Her brother beach?
Speaker 1: No lame. Sorry, sorry Turner's Beach folk, both of you shout out to all our listener in Turner's Beach. It's all gone. Yeah. You tell us about lie detectors.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it's lie detecting is quite an art and it's hard to do. It's really hard to catch people out in a lie. We think we might be good at it, we might be good at lying, or we might be good at reading a lie, but the reality is that we don't and even polygraph tests are pretty well crap. So now there's some researchers and a Leisha vonn Schleck and her colleagues have done a series of research. They're from the University of Waltzburg in Germany, and so they ran a number of experiments and they got people to use this AI assistant to be able to try to.
Speaker 1: Work out whether people were lying or not.
Speaker 2: So they got people and they incentivized people to talk about their weekend, and then they incentivize them to lie, and then they tried to catch them man in lies. But what they found was the AI tool was more effective than people at finding out whether people were lying or not. Now do we want to know if people are lying? But you think about how helpful it would be, not just in legal cases and stuff like that, but if you think about it fake news. You know, if you were you know, I don't know, job applications, it would be really interesting.
Speaker 1: But people selling you stuff? What about when people are selling your shit, the bullshit that comes out of their mouth. That's like a bit true, kind of true, completely untrue. People trying to impress people. Yeah, by the extended warranty, all that sort of stuff. So exact, do you know when they sold me my car, we'll come back. Sorry it's not a great car or anything anyone, but just pursuant to this point, they tried to sell me three thousand dollars body protection. I'm like, what, so the paint's no good? Oh no, the pain's great. I go, well, why would I need to spend just in the car that was for you? Ah? For me, I need that. Then I should have got that. They do the body paint protection thing.
Speaker 2: They tried to do that with my cake cause I'd never bought a new car until a couple of years ago. It's like, what, yeah, exactly the pains. They also try to do the upsell the on the interior. They said, if you go to the next model, you're vinyl at the material seat, we can upgrade that to leather.
Speaker 3: And I said, I want a dead animal in my gar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, chart animal flesh in my car. But I think you know what's interesting about lying is that and this sounds obvious and funny, but it is true allegedly, or am I lying? It's almost impossible to research. It's impossible to get virtually impossible to get really accurate data on lying because nobody wants to be perceived as a liar. So and it's all self kind of reporting research. You know, how often do you lie? Well, of course people are going to lie about how often they lie, because nobody wants to say they're a liar. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess the other thing too, though, is there are different types of lies. You know, there's the oh yes, there is a Santa clause, or no, you look fantastic.
Speaker 1: You know what do you say? Well, yeah, there isn't. There isn't. I mean, it's either something's true or it's untrue. But I know what you're saying what we call colloquially white lies. You know, it's like when someone says to you, do you like what I'm wearing? And you think it's fucking horrible? What do you do? You go, No, it's fucking I love you, But that's dog shit. You know what do you say?
Speaker 4: What about what about positive affirmations?
Speaker 5: Remember we've talked about those before, and if they're too far removed from your beliefs.
Speaker 4: They're actually they have the opposite effect.
Speaker 5: I wonder if you could throw that on and see where you really sit and how far you can push push your beliefs before you hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if that's I mean, I think everybody lies because and it might. You know, it's like if somebody like, if you're if you're in danger, tif, I would expect you to lie, like I would expect if not that you'd be in danger, becauld you'd punch anyone in the head. Let's say, I'm home alone, right, I'm in danger, you know, and it's in your interest for someone to think that someone's coming to meet you even though they're not, or that there's someone else in the house, or you know, like there's a time when for your own safety, lying is a good idea, you know, and that it's a really slippery slope and a messy landscape. But Patrick, do you remember a show on TV called Lie to Me?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was fantastic because I reckon you look like the guy we've spoken about that before, the guy Tim Ruff.
Speaker 1: Is it Tim Rough? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, you look like him, Tim. Oh, thank you.
Speaker 2: Look up Tim Ruff and then look at crago. I reckon, they look so similar.
Speaker 1: I reckon, I don't. But that was based on science from a guy called Paul Eckman, and the character's name was cal Lightman. And that science was all around and you know, this around micro expressions and being able to and they mapped all this computer stuff. They mapped like thousands of micro expressions and it was meant it was meant to be the you know, the brain. Through that we could tell what anyone was feeling without whether or not they are lying, ronest or sad or happy or resentful or frustrated. And then and then some other people brought out some research and went, yeah, that doesn't work across cultures though, So it's yeah, it's a slippery space yestive. No, he doesn't look like me, does he?
Speaker 4: He does? He really does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's his name again? Patrick? I'm going to look him up now, right now, everyone's doing that. You two keep talking. I'm looking them up. I say.
Speaker 2: You know, the interesting thing, though, Tive, is when does a lie? When does an exaggeration become a lie? Because we exaggerate. So if you're going for a job interview, you can talk about a position that you've held and the type of skills that you you embellish a little bit.
Speaker 5: I wonder if there'd be a difference in that between men and women, because men often have no trouble embellishing or stepping into jobs that they maybe not qualified for, whereas women have such imposter syndrome that we kind of do the opposite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, that's a good point. And you know, whether it's the fisherman going out there saying the fish was this big, it's always a cute one, isn't it. My twin brother is an angler and I've never understood the interest. And I know that it's the most popular sport in Australia.
Speaker 1: Did you have fish? You know what?
Speaker 5: I went fishing once when I had a little trip around Tazzy and didn't catch a single thing. We went fishing and went fishing at the Great Lakes with normal fishing, right. I think you go off for a fly fishing there, we're standing there with normal fishing right as well.
Speaker 3: Fish is at I used.
Speaker 2: To go fishing with my mates, not put a hook on, just put sinker.
Speaker 3: I just think it's so cruel the poor fish like they get a hook.
Speaker 1: And my brother would say to me. That's right.
Speaker 3: We throw them back in yes, with major trauma.
Speaker 1: To the inside of their mouths.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry to all the anglers out there, because I've probably just alienated sixty seven percent of our listenership.
Speaker 1: Yeah I did. Yeah, you fish quite a bit and I didn't throw them back. We just ate them. You know. It's the cycle. It's nature, you know. I tell you what, though I'm the closest I've ever got to becoming a vegan. Tiff sent me this video, a reel of this lady who's got a pet cow. Oh my god. Like I grew up in the country around cows and for me to think this cow was white and fluffy, it looked like a gigantic dog. Tiff send it to Patrick. This is terrible on a video, but the cutest fucking thing I've ever seen. And I felt very guilty eating my mince meat that night, I will tell you, but not too guilty that I couldn't need it.
Speaker 5: If people want to follow the page, it's Lacey Mlacey m Evans, l A. C.
Speaker 4: I E. M Evans and there's heaps of cow pictures. Patrick, I'll send it to you.
Speaker 1: I've already looked it up. That's okay, I can see them.
Speaker 4: Good lad.
Speaker 2: I love animals, So you're not gonna You've already got a winner on me. Oh yeah, that's pretty cute. It's a client of mine that has a thing called the Valet's Black Nose Sheep that you would never eat lamb again if you ever saw a Valet's Black Nose sheep.
Speaker 1: They're so cute. I mean they're so cute. I would you would not. By the way, there's got nothing to do with tech. I'm thinking about getting the dog. Oh get a snoutzer or with it? Nah, a proper dog? What? Oh like an actual dog that's a Palet's Black Nose sheep. And now tip so old it can you that's terrible for bodka. It's cute, though, I'm very cute. Put it up in the group. If you're not in our group, do you project? You project you're going.
Speaker 4: To miss out on the sheep?
Speaker 1: You're going to miss.
Speaker 4: Out on it.
Speaker 1: So can you put up the video one the video of the cow so people know, like for me to think it's cute, it's fucking cute. I want that.
Speaker 4: You talked about it every single day since.
Speaker 1: Very cute. It's very cute. My face. Favorite bit is when she goes and lies on it. She just lies on the back of this cow and the cow doesn't give a fuck. All right, Patrick, let's talk about tech because we can. Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, that's what we're here for, right, feel free? Hey, well okay, AI, I know is something we talk about a lot. We talked about the light detectors. A Scottish artist is something done, something quite controversial, and this is a fairly I didn't know the guy. His name is is Michael Forbes, but his works. People who own his works include Madonna, Terry Gillham from Monty Python, Ricky Gervais.
Speaker 1: So he's well known in a lot of circles.
Speaker 2: Now what he's done is he's taken some of his most impressive work and covered them in black paint, half of them in black paint. So he's destroyed his artwork. Wow, a protest against AI as a protest about you know, the fact that a lot of these AI models have been used by scraping data of artists' works. And he said in a lot of ways, you know, it's a reaction. He's redacted his work. Four of his paintings have been damaged. You know, he's put this black pain on top of them, and he sees he's actually heartbroken.
Speaker 1: He's deliberately done this. You know.
Speaker 2: One of the paintings was John Lennon, and you know it featured Taylor Swift, and he's just blacked it all out. And so it's an interesting little protest. You know, you're not agree, you don't agree with Craig.
Speaker 1: Well, no, it's not agree or disagree. I'm wondering. I think it's well in some ways, I'm like, it's very brave, but I go, is it going to move the needle on anything? Will it create any positive change? And if he's just destroyed his own artwork and there's no positive outcome from that, yeah, and he's depressed and sad. Now I'm like, I don't know. I mean, there's no judgment in there for me, there's just curiosity. I wonder if that will help in any way, if that will change anything for the better. I guess obviously we're talking about it on the other side of the world, so it's brought attention to it and maybe that's a good thing. But I don't know. I think it's an indomitable force. AI I don't think it's going anywhere. Bit.
Speaker 2: The hardest thing with AI that I try to reconcile myself with is how they've scraped data without people's permission, because this is another bit of research that's been done, and they're saying that one of the biggest ALI models were actually.
Speaker 1: Trained on a lot of Australian.
Speaker 2: Kids' photos that were scraped from you know, websites, social media. It might have been like the school swimming carnival and they happen to.
Speaker 1: Publish a few photos.
Speaker 2: So this researcher was saying, this is an organization called Human Rights Watch, and what they said is they were really surprised that this data set had a whole lot of information like newborn babies with the mother still there holding the babe and the umbilical cords still connected. I mean, it's kind of pre schoolers playing musical instruments, schools and swimsuits.
Speaker 3: But for some reason, there seemed to be a higher bias for Australian kids.
Speaker 2: Now, whatever reason it was, maybe you know, Australians are more likely to post this sort of stuff. I wouldn't have thought so, but there is a real concern that these images because they've now been scraped and added to this data set.
Speaker 1: If you want what does that mean? Okay, like most of us don't know what scraped means.
Speaker 2: So what it means is that these AI algorithms need to learn and they need examples. So they want an example of what a middle aged man wearing glasses wearing a black hoodie looks like, as.
Speaker 1: If there's any of them around exactly.
Speaker 2: So they basically go through and what they were doing was just searching and scraping all the data from the Internet and using that to train the ALI model. The problem is this was all kind of done. I think it was altruistic initially. I don't think anybody meant it maliciously. But what they've done, and whether it's inadvertent or whether it's been deliberate, is they have pulled in lots of photographs, including photographs of children, real people. And the concern is, and this is about this artist, for example, a Scottish artist. What he's saying is his style of painting. You know, different styles of artwork might be very unique to a particular artist. But if you say I want to create a painting in the same style as Craig's dads and then it will replicate that using AI. Now, that's the concern is that real children's faces. And it was only a few weeks ago that a school in back of s Marsh, a grammar school in back of Smash, hit the headlines because one of the students was taking photographs of girls at the school and using AI to make fake naked pictures.
Speaker 3: And you know, this is what AI can be used for.
Speaker 2: So the reality is that no one has given permission for their data to be used.
Speaker 3: It could be one of your books, it could be something that Tif's.
Speaker 2: Done, it could be something that I've written, it could be a graphic design or logo that I've created.
Speaker 1: And that's the.
Speaker 2: Concern is that where does it start and finish in terms of the you know, how much of your imagery is belongs to you as the artist, as the person who's produced it, or the person who's written it, or the person who said it. Your voice that's unique to you. You have every right to control what you say. And it was only a few episodes ago that.
Speaker 1: I as if anyone would use my voice without my permission?
Speaker 6: Is that three episodes ago, Well, I hang on, I hang on somebody, Oh somebody did on this bloody call. Yeah, look, I don't know. I think I think you know, we're going to go around in circles with this. There's no answer. I mean, there's no there's no answer. There's no quick answer anyway, there's no simple answer. And it's exponentially increasing, you know.
Speaker 1: It's it's a fucking tsunami of change that's happening in the virtual space.
Speaker 2: Can I give one positive app Let's let's finish off on the AI with the positive AI.
Speaker 1: Still. Can we can we shelve the AI after this? Yep? Okay, no problem.
Speaker 2: Now, well there's a new AI model that's that that there that's being developed at the moment.
Speaker 1: And you know how you can use text to create an image.
Speaker 2: Now you can use text or you'll soon be able to use text to create.
Speaker 1: A three D image.
Speaker 2: So say, for example, I wanted to print a three D model of my dog, I could sayerate a three D Schnautzer wearing a bow tie and it will actually create the three D mesh model that you can print on your own three D printer.
Speaker 1: Is that kind of cool? Wow? And two of our listeners are like, that's amazing. Twenty thousand, like fuck next, Okay, the AI.
Speaker 3: We're not going to talk about AI ever again.
Speaker 1: Fucking hey, everyone, I can three D print my schnauzer. Fucking there's there's the gra of the century. Make that into a real tip. Oh three three D print your schnauzer. Know about that. I'm not sure what I meant by that. We all know what you meant by that. Do you know what? Something I saw on the news, which I see is on your list, mate? Is what? And look? Part of me thinks this is a great part of me hates it. I'm conflicted. Speed limiters on cars are now mandatory or becoming mandatory in Europe, and I've long wondered Patrick about and Tiff and everyone about. You know, It's like I have a motorbike that will do nearly three hundred kilometers an hour in a country where the fastest I can legally go is one hundred and ten. Now I love the fact that you know I've got this lead yet, but really it's like, even if it went one hundred and forty, you go, well, that's enough, right. It is interesting that we produce all of these cars and motorbikes that are essentially unusable in most places in the world, can I make one point sure?
Speaker 2: And I live in a rural area, and there are occasions if I am overtaking where I am going to admit this that I have gone over the speed limit to overtake a vehicle as safely as I feel I could to be able to get past effectively if it's a be double or it's a large to get to get past them. So look, I've only ever had one speeding ticket in my entire driving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have won a week, you know what, And you know what the irony was.
Speaker 2: I was driving, I was late driving to a funeral for a person who died in a car accident, and I got done speeding.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's that's I don't know if that's a message, but but but yeah, I get that everyone's done that. But I'm talking about you know, like the new Teslas that do not to one hundred and one point nine seconds that where building these like these higher and higher performance vehicles, which personally I love. But that's emotion, right, I love them. It's fucking I love all that shit. But from a responsibility and a strategic and a logical perspective, it makes no sense to have vehicles that do three times the speed limit. So do we limit the speed?
Speaker 2: Do we limit the ability for the car to accelerate so quickly or to be able to go at three hundred kilometers an hour?
Speaker 1: Or we could all buy a twenty five year old Mazda. You know, we could do that with a head gasket problem. Now, look, I mean yeah, I mean at the same time, I love them, but I think if we didn't have cars that went in But also I think if we didn't have cigarettes that were we no kill people. But anyone can buy them anywhere. You know. It's like, this is just our society, isn't it. We've got a whole lot of stuff that's legal that can kill you. Albeit speeding is not legal, but we give you a car that gives you the capability of speeding in a million ways. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Interestingly, this this legislation that's going through in Europe actually has kicked off already. It's just come into law. It's called ISA Intelligent Speed Assistance. It's now mandatory, so any new car that's now sold in the EU will either warn drivers when they're driving over the speed limit or actively prevent the vehicle.
Speaker 1: So I like the warning idea. Mind does that? Yes, mine literally has on my window. It'll have the speed on the left, like sorry, the speed limit whatever area you're in, on the literally the fucking windscreen.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, you mean a head's up display.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I mean. Well, that's why I've got you. And then next to that will be the speed I'm going. And if I'm in a hundred zone and I'm doing one hundred and two, shit starts fucking making noise. I'm like, this is annoying. I better slow down. Two k's tiff.
Speaker 2: Didn't he take the piss out of me last episode about using the word hud and now he's actively using a heart every day?
Speaker 1: What heads up display doesn't think? We don't have to use your bloody tech, bloody acronyms. Why it's easy to stay hard? Tell me about an EV that charges in under five minutes. That seems unlikely, That seems impossible.
Speaker 2: Well that this is This is the Niyebolt. I think it's called the Niebolt EV. And yeah, they've I reckon that they've been able to get it up and charged.
Speaker 1: I think it's eighty.
Speaker 3: Percent within five within five minutes.
Speaker 2: That's pretty amazing, So from ten percent up to eighty percent. And look, the problem we've got is standard lithium ion batteries don't allow a charge.
Speaker 1: It has to be charged at a certain rate.
Speaker 2: You can't just force a whole lot of electricity into it and it charges fast. So the way the batteries built is one of the reasons that they're they're really looking at how to speed up.
Speaker 1: The charge process.
Speaker 2: So that because the concern with lithium batteries, and of course we've seen a lot of this recent times is fires because they can catch fire, and this concerns about, you know, how combustable they are. But it's a startup company. It's teamed up with Cambridge University in the UK, and they're saying that they can speed up that by changing the chemistry of a lithium ion battery, it will allow more electricity into the battery to be retained at a much, much, much faster rate. So that would be a massive boon to I think.
Speaker 1: A lot of people.
Speaker 2: If you knew that you could charge up your vehicles so quickly, I reckon that would be a real, you know, really incentive for a lot of people who are maybe a little bit resistant to get.
Speaker 1: Definitely, that would be a game changer because right now it's for a lot of people, it's very impractical.
Speaker 2: So the car that they adapted to do this was a Lotus. The lease that's looking car isn't that as a gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Cars Lotus make, which is a British car. Everyone. They make beautiful cars. They've traditionally, or I should say historically, been quite unreliable, but they are amazing looking cars. But I'm pretty sure they're not built in England anymore. Shout out to our English listeners. Not everything else is good though, just maybe the old the old old school Lotuses were a bit dodgy.
Speaker 3: So you're going to say something before I.
Speaker 1: Was just gonna I'm interested in the night curfew feature. That's new software that Tesla are bringing out. What is that about?
Speaker 3: That's a good question, you tell me, just.
Speaker 1: Just take this bit out. What's on your list? Motherfucker? You can leave all this into fucking no fuck him. He sends his little list and then he doesn't know do you know what? Though in his defense, he did send the list on Tuesday. It was such a why were you so organized this week?
Speaker 2: Because I had can I sure Okay, this is how I prepare for the show. I read throughout the two weeks, and when I find an article that potentially could assist, I email it to myself and I have a folder. I had a kit of work experience, and I got him to collate it all for me.
Speaker 1: Ah, so the kids, well, yeah, can you see if the kids available for the podcast? Because you're doing shit?
Speaker 3: Hey Christian, thanks for putting hard work.
Speaker 1: It's hey, Christian, are you available in two weeks mate? Because the bloke that's currently doing it not that good. No.
Speaker 2: I do a live radio spot on a little community radio station as well, but I didn't get to that part. So I looked at it, thought, that's an interesting story.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: New update that is calls got a night curfew mode and it's great for parents right when they want to make sure that their kids don't drive the car at night. So basically you can make sure that can't being used by someone who shouldn't be using it.
Speaker 1: You just got busted. You just got busted time. Well, how about instead of me asking you questions about the notes that you've sent me and throwing you under the bus because you're ill prepared, how about you just steer the ship.
Speaker 2: Why would you want me to steer the ship because I'll be talking about shit you're not interested in.
Speaker 1: That's not interested in all of it. I want to know about a six legged robot guide dog because.
Speaker 2: Was this yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, Well, so when we think of all those robot dogs, and Boston Dynamics has been very popular in the past with the development that they've done. We've all seen the Boston Dynamics dogs, you know, or the robots that get pushed over, they get back up again. But I thought this was interesting because when we think about, you know, the fact that what could you use those dogs for? You know, and now they're saying, well, why not use them to help people who are visually impaired or vision impaired, I should say, to be able to help them and that way, don't have to worry about cleaning up after dog. I mean, it's got a lot of benefits there. You just charge it up then have defeated. No, but I height of Fritz, by the way, my dog. I would never replace him with an electronic dog. By the way, No, I wouldn't. We were about to get a dog, aren't you. Didn't you say, yeah, so yeah, you couldn't.
Speaker 1: Possibly do that.
Speaker 2: You'll you'll realize once you've got one. Anyway, So this guide dog robot. It also the benefit of this is would have a whole lot of tech built into it to be able to It's been developed in Shang High University, and it would have things like light ar and radar and sensors built into it to be able to accurately, you know, see and navigate around the world and assist people. And I guess you know, I think seeing eye dogs are amazing, but you know, they only have a certain lifespan and you've got.
Speaker 1: To train them.
Speaker 2: A whole lot of effort and energy goes into it. So yeah, this could be really beneficial. You're not interested at all with.
Speaker 1: Rose and cons pros. I'm with you, like they're probably going to be in some ways more effective and more features and functions, But you need the love, You need the emotion you need to get. You need to line the floor with your guide dog and snuggle. You need your guide dogs sleeping on your bed and licking your face and farting.
Speaker 2: The problem is in countries, say, for exact, China is a really good example. They're just a not enough guide dogs.
Speaker 3: That's true. That's the other problem.
Speaker 2: So there's this long learning curve where you've got to teach them, you've got to breathe them. And so there are people who are missing out because they're just as a more need than there are supply and so much work that goes into it. But if you can build them, train them, it means you just download it straight into the dog or the electronic dog, the six legged dog, and off your go and running.
Speaker 1: I see that Japan has finally discovered Viagrapatrick, So the story above, the one you just read, discovered viagra. Yeah, No, Japanese government finally says farewell to floppy discs.
Speaker 2: Really, I thought this was interesting because I know the Japanese government was still using floppies.
Speaker 1: Yes, they've got an electronic viagra, so they're getting rid of the flopping discs.
Speaker 3: It's like descended to primary s.
Speaker 1: Its fucking year eight all over again. Isn't it Friday morning? It's early yes, so at it's why were the China, sorry Japanese government using floppy discs anyway?
Speaker 2: Well, they just had computer systems that hadn't been updated. They were still using a lot of this old tech because it was working. You know, why fix what's not broken? I mean, it sounds absolutely absurd. I think the last floppy disks would have been used what twenty five years ago or something. I didn't know in terms of traditionally, but so it was. Japan has a pretty rigid culture. I mean, I really want to go to Japan. It's one of those bucket list countries that I'd love to go to. And so, yeah, there was some single environment systems where floppy disks were working and people were still using them in the government departments.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I feel like I interrupted you, Sorry, Patrick, were you going to say something? And in opening the door for Tiff, I then interrupted Patrick. Sorry Patrick, go on, Tiff.
Speaker 5: No, that was way back in the guide dog conversation, and all I was going to say is I missed hearing the whole reason they have six legs, because soon as the conversation started, I went and googled how to blind people pick up after their dog?
Speaker 4: So I missed the whole conversation.
Speaker 1: How do they Yeah, I'm interested, that's interesting. Well, I'm pretty sure that they are trained not to kind of pooh in a certain spot and on command. I'm sure that there's a about one hundred people listening now who absolutely know the answer to this. What's the I'll tell you what this is not technology is it's it's pretty good, all right? Why while tists finding that out? You just keep plowing on, Patrick, I'll try. I don't know, I don't know where to go from here.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: The we kind of mock the Japanese government for using floppy disks, but you know a lot of the medical profession still uses fax machines.
Speaker 1: When was the last time I used a fax machine, Craigo, Not for well personally, not for a long time. But yeah, I know some even in some medical centers now, they still they still use faxes and stuff. Because the other day I was at the dock and I saw a fax machine and a facts coming through. I'm like, am I in back to the future? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, the interesting thing is fax machines and facts transmissions can't be intercepted. If I wanted to safely send you a message, email is a bit precarious, So I guess if I said the facts, it might be a say way to send a message to you.
Speaker 3: Hadn't thought about that, because have I admitted this story to you.
Speaker 2: When I was working at a newsroom in Geelong as a young journalist, I used to get it was a guy by the name of Stuart MacArthur who was a local politician, and he used to on a Friday send a media release that was like twelve to twenty pages and wow, his faxes had rolls of fax paper and when the role ran out, that was it. So at the start of the weekend, we'd get it on Monday morning because we hadn't done news at the weekend, and suddenly all the facts had run out because it'd sent this twenty page fax the night before.
Speaker 1: Really annoying, and this happened.
Speaker 2: Quite regularly so and we didn't need all that information because it wasn't print.
Speaker 1: It was just a thirty second news story.
Speaker 2: So then one Friday I sent him back a fax, but what I wrote on it was I had a long sheet and I wrote, do not send long facts, and then I taped it to the other end. So it was a continuous loop. So when he got into his office on the Monday morning, it just had the same.
Speaker 1: A message on loop for his entire effects role. Sorry my god, did you ever get busted for that? No?
Speaker 3: That he didn't send long factors anymore.
Speaker 1: It worked. That's hilarious. Hey, I don't know why this is a weird departure, but in the middle of the night last night, I woke up and my mind was busy and I couldn't sleep, so I turned on the TV. Now, neither of you will know, probably, and neither do you need to know. A guy called Joe Walsh who's a musician and he was part of the Eagles. Anyway, I love Joe Walsh, and I love the Eagles because I'm super old. But I was listening to him talking about his music and he wrote a song patrick In I think it got published in twenty twelve called analog Man, and here are some of the lyrics. Welcome to cyberspace. I'm lost in the fog. Everything's digital. I'm still analog. When something goes wrong, I don't have a clue. Some ten year old smart ass tests has show me what to do. Sign on with high speed. You don't have to wait to sit there for days and vegetate. I access my email, read all my spam. I'm an analog man. The world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there. It's all on the screen makes me forget who I am. I'm an analog man. Yeah, I'm an analog man in a digital world. I'm going to get me an analog girl who loves me for what I am. I'm an analog man. That could have been written for me. That's fucking Joe Walsh, just fucking groundbreaking twelve years ago. That was That's good. I actually like it. They're great lyrics.
Speaker 3: Hey, you mentioned that your new car has a bone sterilizer in it.
Speaker 1: So it's got a what looks like a glove box, but it's skinny, so same in the same spot, but above the actual glove box. And I guess it's about as like a couple of inches deep, so not much like five centimeters, And you open the door or the whatever to that, and you put your phone in, you press a button and then it it sterilizes, I guess is the word. It sterilizes your phone. It kills all the germs that are on your phone, which I don't think anyone in the world was asking for that feature.
Speaker 2: But nonetheless, I beg to differ really different because the next little story that I did want to chat about is how your phone, your watch, and particularly the you know, the clip or the not the clip. The band on your watch is a breeding ground for E. Coli and staff bacteria. And how none of us really I mean, I've got to say I never cleaned the band of my watch and it's cloth, which is one.
Speaker 1: Of the worst things.
Speaker 2: So they say that were we should be cleaning our device is a lot more than we do.
Speaker 3: You know, you're pressing it up against your face.
Speaker 2: You know you've got on your body, and it makes more sense when you start to think of it.
Speaker 3: In those two you can sterilizing kits.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is every time I look at your window and I say zoom window, it looks like you're sitting in a sterilizing kit.
Speaker 1: That's deliberate because it's glowing. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, because it's got your car. Yeah, that's true. Well, speaking of things that are on your person, you've seen this bracelet that's been on my wrist for twenty nine years and never come off. It's very politically incorrectly called back in the day a slave bracelet. Oh right, and then and they put it on, they screw it on, and it's got the initials, my initials and my mate who passed away, Maddie. But that's been on my wrist for twenty nine years and never come off once ever. And I wonder when on in nine ninety five, I wonder, I wonder what's living under that? Wow?
Speaker 2: No, the interesting thing is copper is actually bacteria resistant.
Speaker 6: Some metals gold to thank You's the original bracelets, cop up, There were copper bracelets.
Speaker 2: They were used as a medium of exchange in West Africa as part of the slave trade.
Speaker 1: What has that got to do with my gold bracelet?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, okay. Well, I think the reason that they called it anyway is because it gets when you buy it, they put it on with a screwdriver. It gets screwed on. There's no clip or clasp. You can't take it off unless you you know, you have those tools. But anyway, nobody needed to know that. Oh. I think it's a lovely thing that you're still wearing that. I think, Well, it makes me think about him every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you go to an airport, what happens when you.
Speaker 1: Get Yeah, that's interesting. A few times they've asked me to take it off and I say I can't take it off, and they're like, then I sometimes have to like put my arm through the thing before the rest of my body, or one place they taped it like they put like gaffer tape around my wrist and said, I'm like, okay, sure.
Speaker 5: That's not gonna Well, I don't know what a knife to your body and stroll on through?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, no, no, because I don't know. I actually don't understand what they think A round bracelet, I might what I might do with that on a plane, or maybe it's I don't know, maybe yeah, I don't know. Who knows? Patrick, save us this.
Speaker 2: I thought this is kind of not a tech related story so much, but I thought it would be one that would interest you because you're a big advocate of exercise, and I know tiff is as well. Not only is it thought that exercise mitigates cognitive decline, but it also is linked to your gut microbia as well, so it can actually assist in lots of different ways. So, I mean, we know that cognitive decline is something that.
Speaker 1: A lot of people worry about as they get older.
Speaker 2: And you know, remember we had those brain games that you'd play on in Well, they realized that none of that. It does help a little bit, but physical exercise getting out their circulation include you know, is the best possible thing you can do for your brain health, is your overall body health and exercise. But it also can be linked to gut microbia. And I thought, wow, that's kind of interesting. So and people go through difficult times and I've got friends who have real problems with with digestion and all that sort of stuff, So it may be that simple exercise rather than a sedentary lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, IM prove that Union of South Australia last year, I think it was in December twenty twenty three published a whole raft of research and findings around this, and you're exactly right. And they compared an exercise intervention against medical interventions, so anti axiotics and antidepressants. And this is not a direction or a recommendation anyone. Consult your consult your person or persons. But yeah, the exercise exercise alone created much better results. So I think it was like one hundred and fifty percent, which seems a very convenient number, but yeah, much better results versus just medication. So just exercise versus just medication from that perspective. But even like we've had a lady on who was I don't know if she's any more Professor Ingrid, the head of psychiatry at Royal Adelaide Hospital, who's obviously a doctor and a psychiatrist and someone who exercises a lot, and for her medication even for people with mental health issues, is the last option like drugs that she tries, lifestyle, food, exercise, life, like trying to get people to change their own biochemistry and what's happening in their brain on a biochemical level with healthy interventions, because you know, any drug that you take, even if it works on one level, there are going to be there are going to be side effects somewhere between, you know, very minor and very major, so you know that's going to be factored in as well. But yeah, that's no revelation to me. But you're exactly right, mate, and it's great, and I wish everybody. The problem is in inverted commas is that exercise is hard and popping a pill is easy.
Speaker 2: And another bit of research I read recently was that just walking forty minutes three times a week if you can't manage anything else, just doing a vigorous walk.
Speaker 3: But now you know more about this than I would.
Speaker 2: The hippocampus is directly the part of the brain that is engaged when we do more exercise. And now they're linking the hipper campus with what's happening in gut health. So that's the correlation, and what they're trying connection to is what's going on with you hippocampus.
Speaker 3: Can you explain more about that? I mean, what does actually happen?
Speaker 1: I mean, so like the gut is interestingly called the second brain now and the heart is called the third brain now a lot of people you know, but everything's interacting all the time. Like the gut microbiome that you were talking about is affected by everything from the food you eat to the sleep that you have to Like if, for example, you think a negative thought now which I've said this many times, but that produces cortisol and cortisole affects your gut microbiome. Like everything be the thought's mind as we call the mind, which is really a construct or the physical brain itself, or the nervous system, or the gut or the heart. You know, everything's intertwined all the time, mate, and that's the that's the beauty of this stuff. Is trying to like, research is important. I wrote a post about this the other day. And there's there's this term that gets thrown around a lot, and the term is evidence based. Right, so people come out all the time and go, oh, this is an evidence based protocol, or this is evidence based formula, or but often, like I would say, more often than not, it's either completely untrue or misleading. And so and I know I've diverged a little bit, but you know, learning to you know, pay it. Even with what we talk about, which is very informal and very casual, but even if we say something on here that might resonate with people, I always say to people, don't do something because we spoke about it. Do something. Maybe go and open the door and do some research for yourself and talk to somebody smarter than us three dickheads, and then maybe after that then try something or or oh, you know, if you want to do something really basic like an equals one, you're the researcher and the researched, just try something like Patrick said, you know, walking every day for thirty minutes, or and just see how you feel. You know, it's you don't need to go to a doctor for that, or you know, instead of having three meals a day have the same amount of calories, but in five meals and maybe your digestive issues will be, you know, diminished somewhat. Like I think, it's a little bit of trial and error with all of this stuff.
Speaker 2: I have a little kind of mental policy that I do. I always take stairs when I can. Well, probably not in a thirty story building, but for the most part, if I can take the stairs, I always will. But then someone said to me, actually a tai Chi master who I met in China, who couldn't speak English, and we translated our entire day of conversations through phones. But he said to me, don't go downstairs because of the impact. So upstairs good downstairs, use an escalator or lift.
Speaker 1: So there you go. That's pretty true. I mean, we've got to go downstairs. But it's like you're way better off running up a hill for a range of reasons than running down a hill. Yep, yep, exactly. So that's what he said to me.
Speaker 2: And the other thing that I tell my Tishi students is when you're brushing your teeth.
Speaker 1: I don't know I've said this before, but when you're.
Speaker 2: Brushing your teeth, your two minute roughly routine, stand on one foot as you're brushing your tooth teeth, then change to the other foot halfway through. And it's just such a simple thing that's not going to impact in any way, doesn't take any extra efforts, but the.
Speaker 1: Ability for you.
Speaker 2: And I'm trying to think of the term that our brain uses to predict a fall. I can't think of the terminology, but it's the same. It's the same instinct that cats us to land.
Speaker 1: On all four feet. And you can improve.
Speaker 2: That, so our ability to be able to improve and work on our brain to get better at balance core stability.
Speaker 1: That also includes predicting.
Speaker 2: You know, when you have that sensation almost that you can get stumble and then you do what you need to stop yourself falling over.
Speaker 1: You can improve that.
Speaker 3: Part of the way to improve that is literally just to stand on one foot.
Speaker 2: So if you just stand on your foot every day while you're brushing your teeth or twice a day, and then alternate that, then it's something so so simple to do.
Speaker 1: You know what, I love that. I love that you say that because I'm weird. Right since I was a kid, I've always done weird shit. I've always gone like I remember being seven and going wonder how long I can hold my breath. I've spoken about this before. I wonder how long I can do it underwater? I wonder how you know, I used to just do all this shit, But even now, like I have this rule and here at home where I only walk up the stairs two at a time, yeah, me too, I do that as well. I only walk two at a time. And even if I'm carrying my dinner and shit up only two at a time. Another thing that I do not all the time, if I'm being honest, but probably half the time. When I put my shoes and socks on, I stand on one foot I put on. So my rule is, I've got to stand up. I don't sit down to put my shoes and socks on. I've got to stand up. I've got to lift one foot obviously off the ground, put the sock on, put the shoe on, and then do it on the other one. And it's like I used to. I started doing that a couple of years ago, and I'd fucking overbalance and fall, not fall, But you know, and now pretty much I never like it. And my stability and balance is way better than it was three years ago and I'm sixty so but that's just doing those And there's things like you know, It's like sometimes if I'm writing notes on the whiteboard, i'd write with my right hand and I'm left handed. And then if I do that, like sometimes I'll go, I'm only going to write on not when I'm doing my messages for social media, but just when I'm thinking out loud, which I do on the whiteboard a lot. I just use my right hand. And it's amazing how quickly you improve in a matter of days at doing something that's completely atypical for you. Brain plasticity, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: I think appropriate exception is the ability to predict a fall or to right yourself. But I kind of probably should have looked it up before I said it, but it occurred to me while we're talking, while you were talking. But you can rewrite your brain to be able to work in different ways, whether as you said, you know, I think it's great that you do the left hand right hand thing, but I was also quietly thinking, oh my god, we could be the same person because I stand on one foot to put my shoe on as well, and always tie my shoelacers one foot.
Speaker 1: We definitely should be married, so you get right out of the way, Tiff. Yeah, but it's that, you know. So there's a guy called Norman Deutsge without trying to sound like a geek, he wrote a book years ago called The Brain That Changes Itself, and he was he was one of the pioneers in this space. He opened the door because forever, until about forty years ago, we thought that the brain you talked about the hippocampus before, which is pretty much like the epicenter of learning and memory, right, and we'd go, ah, well, if you hip a campus as fuck, you won't remember anything anymore. But that's not true because the brain can adopt other roles and you can retrain the brain as you said, which is neural plasticity. But yeah, we used to go, well, this bit of the brain does that, and if that bit of the brain's broken, then you don't have that ability anymore. But yeah, we now know that that's not necessary. It will probably be impaired, but other brains can take over some of the function for one of a better term.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because there's now there's a lot of focus on teenagers using the internet and being addicted to their phones because of what is happening to their brains during adolescence. We know there's a great lot of formation going on in a teenage brain. So there's a real concern that the use of technology and internet could be impacting the way you know, juvenile development.
Speaker 1: And particularly adolescent development is progressing. And I think the.
Speaker 2: Jury's still out, but you know, playing games, using the internet, scrolling away all those things that we see teenagers doing. Everybody does, but saying it could actually be more damaging in an adolescent brain for the pure fact that that's where their brain is doing the most real developmental changes.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, sixty years ago, what was going to derail the world, what was going to destroy adolescence and the future, was Elvis Presley's hips. So you know, hey, mate, how can people find you and connect with you?
Speaker 2: Well, websites noow dot com, dot au or ti Chi at home. You know, we still haven't done our virtual tai Chi class Crago. I'm going to take you up on that one again. Can we please do a zoom call?
Speaker 1: You know what we should do. We should wait till you've got your bloody special studio built. Yeah, okay, you can come up I'll come up for the weekend. We'll boon on the couch and Tiff can make us dinner. That was a joke everyone. If I don't even be there, we wouldn't let her come. It's a man's weekend.
Speaker 5: I've already got the first DIBs on. We've already talked about yesterday. So you're you're second in line.
Speaker 3: Bro, We've already organized a date.
Speaker 4: Wife has come first.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, okay, thanks everyone, Thanks Thanks Steve.
Speaker 5: Thanks