Speaker 1: A good a team. You're bloody champions. Welcome to another installment of the Project About You. I've got two amazing women on my screen, Tiffany and Cook over there at typ Central, the life force, the blood that flows through the typ veins, the heartbeat of the organization. And Kate.
Speaker 2: What's your middle name, Kate Patricia?
Speaker 1: I think you've told me that before, Kate Patricia said, we'll start off with the boss, Tiffany and Cook.
Speaker 2: Hello, Cookie, how are you good morning? I'm very good. I was just telling Kate how much I'm loving the sunshine now.
Speaker 1: Oh, the sun is shining. The birds are fucking chirping, and the bees are buzzing. And when I talk to Mary Harper every day, she's like, oh, it's a good day up here.
Speaker 2: It's warm.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, bloody. Oh shed My bones were freezing the other day. You know my bones. I'm like, were they Mary?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was bloody. You know. I had gloves and I'm like, oh, God, bless her a little angel. But yes, it is. It's going to be like we're recording this on Tuesday the sixth. It's going to be like forty degrees tomorrow or something.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's not gonna be killing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I'm keeping my little skin cancer prone body out of the fucking uvs. Don't worry. I walk down the street looking like a fucking covert operative doing a fucking deep jungle surveillance mission. No, I realize that sometimes, you know, when you walk across the road, you see yourself in the window of a shop, I think, fuck, I look I either look like the worst homeless person because nothing to my shit matches no disrespect timeless people, or I look like some kind of criminal, or like, I look terrifying. So then I so then what I do is to counteract the terror, I smile at people. That makes it worse. They're like, oh my god, the creepy sociopath. He's smiling. Now I'm really terrified. So I'm a little bit conflicted. If either of you have got a solution, just let me know.
Speaker 2: It's a motorbike that really takes it up the next level too.
Speaker 1: Well. The motorbike is yeah, well, when I'm just talking about walking out, yeah, if you're on the motorbike, one of my motorbikes is I shouldn't say it, I won't say it, but it's pretty fucking loud. Let's just say that, shout out to the RTA. And if I ride through the middle of cars, which is you're allowed to do when the cars are stopped at traffic lights, it's called lane splitting. It's fair to say it sounds like there's a fucking tornado coming through, or a volcano or some kind of earthquake coming through, and I just tinker through there. But what's funny, Kate, We'll shut up. I'll shut up after this is depending on which motorbike come on. If I'm on the little, tiny, little Weeni scooter, which is a one point fifty, which wouldn't pull Nanna off the bloody potty. It's got like four horse power. Sorry, we just had a quick adjustment everyone. But anyway, depending on what bike I'm on, people will either look at me up and down like I'm some kind of vagrant, or absolutely totally avoid my stare and just they will not look at me or the bike. Or but I don't like that because I'm friendly. I'm like Humphrey Beer with two wheels under me. But they don't know that.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize how much fun motorbikes were. My girlfriend's a cop and she took me on the back of her motorbike. And I just thought, you know, just getting on a motorbike like you did when you were sort of kids, and I don't know. And I got on and I was like, it was terrifying. She's like, my inner thigh muscles were squeezing her so tight that she thought her body was going to go numb. She's like, you've stopped circulation to my lower body. Can you stop squeezing me? Because I didn't want to grab her and choke her, so I was just hanging on with my legs for dear life.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. Well, you know, Tiffany Ankle has got a very high power motorcycle theirself, do you know?
Speaker 2: No, Okay, terrifying, join the crew. It's the betest fun. It was a massive I was like, people do this all day every day like that height. It's fun. It's a lot of fun, so scary. I'm glad it's loud because then I feel like I'm less likely to get hit by a car. The louder it is, the more you hear it coming.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting about And like I'd hate to bring up psychology, but you know, it's me. What's interesting is you can put someone on the back, they'll have the best experience ever, and their body will be producing all these great hormones and you know, their their heart rate will be relatively low, and they'll be like, they'll just be having the best time psychologically, emotionally and even physiologically, just joy. And you could take someone else on the exact same route, same speed, same everything, and they're on the back having a fucking total meltdown, and you're like, oh, this is so interesting because I've had that before where I'm tinkering along with someone and I had somebody just hit like basically hit me so hard. I'm like, what They're like, pull over, Piliver, pilover, And we weren't doing anything, and they got off and they wouldn't get back on, and I'm like and they I mean, they were safe or as safe as you can be with me, which is relatively safe. But yeah, and it's like nothing had happened. They were just they actually had started to have a panic attack. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And then you have other people who are like they've never been on we get home, We've done a fifteen minute kid quick buzz around, we get home and they're like, can we go again? It's like it's like lunar park for free.
Speaker 2: But it's so funny that it's like a roller coaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that individual psychological and emotional response to the same stimulus. I find that shit fascinating, you know, because we're always talking about how reality is subjective. So for one person it's literally terrifying, but the exact same thing for someone else is just joyful. Think about that. That's fucking it.
Speaker 2: It's unpredictable. I think that's a scary bit for me, Like I will jump out of a plane. I've jumped out with my own parachute, not with people with me, and had to pull my own parachute. But I was in control of it, and I knew where I was going and it was down, and I knew what feet I had to get to before I pulled the court on the back of someone else's motorbike, I don't know what's in front of me, I don't know what's coming up and where we're going. And yeah, I think it was the unpredictability of it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think firstly, it's hilarious that you think you're totally in control with a parachute because you're fucking knowed. That's hilarious, you know, if you were exactly, But you're much more in control than sitting on the back on the back of somebody. I'm with you. I I mean, this is hilarious, but I would not get on the back of somebody's because I just don't trust people. I trust me, which is probably arrogant, but I just know, like I've never I shouldn't even say it, but I've never had an accident. Nobody's ever been hurt on the back with me, and I intend to keep it that way. But at the same time, I'm quite particular about who I let on the back. And somebody on this particular show hadn't been on a motorbike for years and then got on the back of one of mine and then got off. And when that's it, I'm buying a motorbike and literally within fucking five days had a motorbike.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow, yeah, the motorbike. I was like, I remember this, that's wow.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. Then she went out and bought like a seven hundred and fifty cc fucking high performance Japanese fucking rocket. I'm like, well, could you not have started off with I don't know, like a scooter nut. Let's just go for the formula one. Let's start that, all right. So I know you want to talk about a couple of things. I want to ask you one thing first, which is unrelated to where we're going. I want to talk to you for a minute about fiber because somebody was telling me today. A friend of mine who's doing a master's in nutrition, said, I don't know about this, but like they read that or somebody one of their lecturers had said that, um, you should have fiber with every meal, Like every time you have protein, you should have fiber. Whereas I will often have just something which is like chicken skewers and a bit of peanut sauce, so there's no really other than maybe a gram or two of sugar in the peanut sauce maybe, but essentially just protein. Most meals I would have both protein and carbs and fat. What are your thoughts on fiber?
Speaker 2: So your human body is outnumbered by bacterial cells one point three to one when you are eating your protein carbohydrating quickly processed foods, which is not in that meal the proteins you know, slowly digesting food, but your gut. Bacteria only eat fiber, so when you eat, you need to feed the other half of your body, or what is more than half of your body, So your bacteria only feast on the things you don't digest. So you are digesting that protein, you're going to digest the sugars, you need to leave them something. So the fact that you said peanut sauce, if there's real peanuts in your peanuts, peanuts still have fiber, so they would have got a little bit tweet. But the reason why you want to have fiber at each medal is because only fifty percent or less than fifty percent of your body is human cells that need to be fed. You actually need to feed feed the trillions of bacteria in your body. And it's not just bacteria, it's bacteria, fungi, viruses, all these things that we live with in our body everywhere that actually keep us alive, so we don't have them we die.
Speaker 1: Are you saying I've got more bacterial cells than krag cells in my body?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? And in terms of DNA, you have like one hundred times or I can't remember the number, but many, many multiples more DNA bacterial DNA. I think your human DNA would fit in your big toe, and then the rest of your body would be bacterial DNA, so you literally are your bacteria. So what's the role of bacteria. It must have a functional symbiotic relationship, so that bacteria talks to our brain. So the gut brain connection that we all hear about and know about, it is telling our body what to do, how to feel. The bacteria are also processing certain nutrients, so from they make short chained fatty acids. So short chained fatty acids can help us with suppressing appetite, but they also reduce information. So buerrate can help reduce information in the body. It can fix help with the lining of the bowels, it can reduce cancers. Basically, the gut microbiome and all the viruses, all the things that are part of that. Now is the thing we didn't know about. That is the everything now. So it's it's the abyss. If anyone says they know everything about it, we don't know anything really in comparison of what there is to know. So it's like before we knew we had DNA, if that makes sense, you know, like we only so it's the next thing that we're learning about that's more important than we thought. It was.
Speaker 1: All right, last one and this is out of your wheelhouse, so just take a stab. What about environmental germs and bacteria? And I feel like my instinct tells me that, Like I grew up in the country, riding bikes in dirt and riding through fucking forests and picking up frogs and dog shits and whatever, right just like and washing my hands every third day if I had to, if Mum was watching, and nobody got sick or rarely like I remember growing up like almost never getting a cold or the flu or I don't know, I think that, I mean, we were normal. Of course I washed my hands and showered every day, but there was just not this obsession about absolute cleanliness and you know, washing your hands every seventeen seconds. And do you think we've overdone it on the environmental kind of impact of bacteria on our body?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, because dirt, like even a teaspoon of dirt as hundreds of thousands millions of bacteria, maybe even trillions of bacteria. So bacteria is everywhere, and in the past we just washed our hands if we, I don't know, had to get dolpool off a boot or something like that, because we thought that type of bacterial was bad for us, but we didn't know some bacteria was good. So obviously the bacteria that's in our environment, some of that is good for us, and that bacteria also would be challenging our immune system and building up immunity, and that they talk about, you know, the reason why we have so many more allergies to everything now purely because of this hygiene and not being exposed to bacteria as well. So you need to be exposed to some bacteria. But on the flip side of that, there's a lot around bacteria and birth. So if you get born through a vaginal canal, you're coming in contact with lots of bacteria down there, but also feces, and then that little baby is first exposure to bacteria is at least the mother's bacteria, whereas if the baby's born via a sea section, that bacteria that they're being exposed to is hospital bacteria, which is not good bacteria. So they believe it has a long term effect on their overall health status for the rest of their life. And it's not to mean that those kids born via sea section will be less healthy. It just means they have less exposure to the right sorts of bacteria early on, so their immune system needs to catch up. So they do things now like vaginal smears after birth and just making sure the baby is cut in you know, the mum's bacteria, or even the dads. If the mum has to go for surgery, the dad should be ripping off his clothes and exposing that baby to the first bacteria they get, which is at least one of the parents bacteria to start building up the microbiome. Because the microbiome is built by the ages of sort of two to five. You have everything that you need, like your life is built on what happens in those first couple of years alive. So you really want to make sure you've been exposed to the right sorts of bacteria. And they even say that pets share some of the microbome, some of the bacteria with their owners. Wow, yeah, and there's benefits to having a pet with that bacteria.
Speaker 1: Well, TIFF's never going to get sick again because she's always intertwined with her cat and her dog.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Although there is that thing that cats, what's that thing that cats give their owners that sucks up their brain?
Speaker 2: Top Oh yeah, yeah, Cat, I do know.
Speaker 1: Kind of It's like bacteria is like strength training for your immune system. It's like it's like, you know, you go to the gym for the muscles and you go, yeah, smear some bacteria on you. That sounds disgusting, but fuck it for your immune system. All right, So that's good. Thank you for answering that question. Oh.
Speaker 2: The last part of that would be the fecal transplants. When you start to think about that, you would have heard about that. You get someone else when you either take a crapsule or you use an anima and get it up there.
Speaker 3: The rapture a craptal Oh fuck, I don't recommend that because you don't know what's in it, but hey, that is a way of getting the bacteria in other than nanama or a camera insertion by surgery.
Speaker 1: Any show where we use the term crapsual, I'm happy as fuck tell people, just so, just quickly, what is the alleged science behind putting somebody's poo up your betom to join your poo or that to have it that region.
Speaker 2: So there is really good clinical trials and evidence and procedures happening all around the world as we speak now. One of the treatments for I think it's seed difficult. It's the bacteria that destroys the gut lining that causes ulcerated collidis. If you get someone who's got a healthy gut and you get their pooh and put it into someone with an unhealthy gut, they saw results in some of these studies. I've seen just within sort of twenty four to forty eight hours that a completely ulcerated pussy bleeding bow could start to repair and recover.
Speaker 1: There's how new are There's Tiff and I'm both nearly heaving into the vakan the bucket. That's there's the title of the pussy heaving ulcerated bow and Hey, everyone, hope you're enjoying your tart. It's not block say that again. So so it basically healed them in a short.
Speaker 2: In a very short amount of time. And this is in conditions for people that medications don't work. They any other treatment they've tried, They've just got this chronic inflammation. So the inflammation is cured by the healthy bacteria that's located in the feces of someone else. And the first sort of Australian trial on this. It actually made it to TV almost It must have been a decade ago alonger I think was a I think a father donated it to his either son or daughter or something like that, and that was the first kind of you know, public show of how this all worked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, it does seem. I think. What's interesting is, you know, the idea of some of these things are almost like psychologically repellent. If not, they are right, but it's like, well, if it works, it's like, yeah, would I do it? If I was sick and you go, we're going to do fuck up? I wouldn't even think about it.
Speaker 2: Hey, have you done your microbome test? Do you know if you have healthy poo?
Speaker 1: No? No, But what I'll do is I'll come down to your joint and bring a little spatchul before.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, I'll send it off for you and we can have it tested.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: That was what I want to talk to you about today.
Speaker 1: Well can we can we go there in one sec? I want to because I'm so excited you're here. Do you know what, Like one of my problems at the moment is I'm when I'm out, I'm always listening to somebody smart talking right, obviously not me, but and I was listening to these two smart dudes. I won't. It doesn't matter who they're talking about. Metabolic psychiatry. Have you ever have you heard that term? Yes, I'm like, oh my god, this and I did ten minutes of research right, and I'm like, oh fuck, I can't. This is gonna I'm going to go down this rabbit hole for a month and forget my PhD that's due next Friday. So I'm just going to shut this fucking door. But this is the problem. There's so much incredible research, and you know, there's also lots of shit research, but there are so many potential therapies and treatments and protocols that are emerging. And you know, but then at the same time, you listen to five experts talk about one topic, you get five variations, if not five, completely different fucking ideas. But yeah, so and so basically what they're doing, correct me if I'm wrong, you might know more than me. But they're treating people with psychiatric disordered, psychological and mental issues with food with food and getting fucking incredible results. Now that's not say get off your medication. It's just to say that some of the research is proving to be you know, where he was talking. This guy was talking about a patient who was on fifteen medications and got off all the medications within four weeks and with zero medication and a good diet, had pretty much no symptoms. Now, of course, everyone, that's not a recommendation. That's just what I heard on a podcast this morning. But that's what made me come home and go, is this bullshit? Or is this because that again you hear things that aren't true. But yeah, so let's take it for a I'm going to once I'm finished all my shit, I'm going to do a little bit of a deep dive into the research just for me.
Speaker 2: Have you interviewed Professor Flies Jaka?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't the Food and Mood Center from Deacon University. So she founded one of the most well known studies in the world exactly what you're talking about. And it was in twenty fourteen, I think it was published, and it was the first randomized control trial in I don't know if it's the first in the world. It's the most well known and most well spoken about one where people either received counseling or a change of diet and seeing a dietitian. And the people that got the counseling improved their major depression anxiety by seven percent. The people that went on the Mediterranean diet and saw a dietitian improved their major depression anxiety by thirty four or thirty six percent, so five times greater. Yet this has happened over a decade ago, and we're still like, we don't all know about this. We're not using that as first line therapy.
Speaker 1: Diet simple yeah, I mean, and again everyone, we're not advocating anything, we're just talking. But there would seemed to be, uh, you know, financial incentives for some organizations not to have this information out there. All right, So now, Kate, you reached out as because you wanted to chat today, and thank you for reaching out. Your you've been elevated to elevated to unpaid unpaid resident nutritional gurus.
Speaker 2: You had some testing done or have you got some results?
Speaker 1: And you I think you wanted to chat about why we are so reactive rather than proactive at times when it comes to our health.
Speaker 2: You have just done the perfect introduction though you've literally joined all of the pieces from fiber to the gut, microbiome to mental health and why are we going for drugs before food? This is the whole conversation. People are talking about their news resolutions and all the things they're going to do, and I just think the first thing that's important for people to sort of understand is where the health is at now, because then they can take the right actions and the ones that will mean the most to make sure that whatever they're doing is actually preventative or maintaining. You know, people avoid things that are hard, and things that are hard are probably the things they should be doing the most right. So there's no point if you're amazing at strength training and you're really really strong, I'm going to lift more and more weights, Well that's not going to help you. You probably bloody need and run on do some cardio, or do some hit training, or do a four by four Norwegian cycle thing or whatever you do. So I think it would be good for people to think about what is the hardest thing, not what the thing they want to do is, because that's probably what they need the most. And do they have any testing or foundations around their health to show them where are you going to get the most benefit. And this all came to me because I went, I order all of my own medical tests. I've got lots of medical people in my community. Some are very pro having preventative tests done, for example, MRIs. For no fricking reason, I just wanted to know. One day, I thought, oh, my knees catching. I don't have sore knees. I run a lot of the time, and I thought, I want to have an MRI on my knees. Like why not, Well, you don't need it. It doesn't matter if I need it or not. I want to know. So I went and had that done. Guess what stage four cartilage damage and Baker's cysts and pteleomel tracking. And the clinician that read my report went, if I just read the report without seeing you sitting in front of me, I would think you couldn't get out of a chair right now.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Oh, and the start of osteoarthritis. And I was like, I knew it. I got my rheumatoid factor tested a couple of years ago, and it's supposed to be un to ten or something like that, and it was like seventeen. They're like that's normal. I'm like, no, why is that above this range? And then I got it tested again and it was forty something, tested again fifty something. I'm like, something is going on in my body, and I want to know what it is because if there's something I can do about it, I want to stop it. And this for some people would cause fear or anxiety or whatever else and they don't want to know and they don't want to have testing. I get that, but my mom died of no known cause, and I don't want to leave my kids behind without knowing there was something maybe I could have done, like autopsies, coronics reports no known cause after three months of testing. If there's something that's going to happen, I'd rather know and go. You know what, guys, we're not going to work tomorrow. Are we going to live it up and have our best life? Well, live it up every day, but why not know where your health is at? And I'm annoyed that I'm stage four cartilage damage with no pain, no effects or anything like that. If there's something I could have done differently to prevent that, And that's just the start of all these things. I mean, gut microbome testing. So as I was saying, if anyone's out there wanting to know is do they have healthy poo and what can you do about it? I had my first test done in twenty two and I had really poor gut microbiome health. I was under fifty percent, you know, one hundred percent obviously the best, and I thought, as a dietitian, how do I have poor gut health. I then changed what I was doing and I got to ninety five percent, so really really good by knowing what was going on and being able to do something about it.
Speaker 4: Okay, hang on, so what were you having and doing at when you were fifty percent and what did you change and how did you get to ninety five percent.
Speaker 2: I don't think I was actually having enough fiber. I'm aware of fiber, and I eat fiber, and I ate fruit and veggies, but I wasn't having it at every meal, and I probably wasn't having a lot of it during the day. So fiber was my number one thing, and I am a bit of a low carbeat it too, So I just made sure even if I had a protein like a yogurt or a custard or anything like that, I just loaded it up with some alisa or flax seed meal or some chea seeds, put some fruit in it, like added more carbs, but fiber rich carbs to my diet every single day. And you know in a salad like put a bit of sour kraut fore your gut microbiome and fermented foods, put olives in anything that's going to add good bacteria, or you know, functional foods that have got probiotics in them, or even a probiotics which are the fibrous things that feed that bacteria. So literally, in a year, I went from being below fifty percent to ninety five percent. Had it checked a year later, it's still ninety five percent. But if I didn't, no, I would have thought I was doing doing pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so interesting. So here's my working theory on why people don't get testing done in no particular order. One it can be expensive. I don't think that's the main reason. Two ignorance, I don't think that's the main reason, but I think they're both factors. Three fear. I think people generally, when it comes to their health, they are more emotion emotionally driven than critically thinking about where they are, what's going on, what's working, what's not working. What's my body telling me, what's the bio feedback telling me? You know, I think we should all myself included, I should probably do more. But yeah, I think the fact that we are scared of what the test is going to say. On a really funny, much lower level of this, I reckon twenty percent of my clients, for thirty percent of my clients over the years when my job was personal training and we would do I would do body composition testing on people, and we would weigh them, and of course we realize the limitations of taking someone's weight, and we get all of that, but at the same time it's a factor. But at least twenty maybe thirty percent of my clients would not want to know what they weighed, and they would get severe anxiety about having to stand on scales. And I would say, there are a lot of variables and a lot of determinants and factors. This is one. It's not a big deal. I'm just doing it because I just want to track some data and see what's going on. Same with your body compositions, same with your blood pressure, same with your upper and lower body strength, Same with your votwo max or submax. You know, it's all just testing that we're doing right. But so many people would be so scared of finding out the truth they would rather like live in La la land. Then go oh shit, Well I'm pre diabetic, so I'm going to make some decisions, do some things, and implement some changes which will take me out of that hopefully. But I just think for a lot of people it's just fear and anxiety. And I think in general, when it comes to managing our body and even managing our food, we're more emotional than we are logical.
Speaker 2: You're so right. And the heart thing I guess though, is someone who has pre diabetes has the start of heart disease, whether they want to acknowledge that or not. So that means right now you are choosing how long you want to live, because if your heart gives up, it's all over. So that decision of changing the diet or exercising or not doing it. Once you have pre diabetes, you're actually making decisions about heart disease, and you're making decisions about dementia and Alzheimer's. Do you want to forget your own children's name because already linked diabetes or they call type three diabetes? Elseimon demension. So I think if you don't know, then you can put your head in the sand. But you need to take responsibility for your own health because it's nobody else's problem. It's actually your problem. And I find it quite selfish when people don't want to know, and they're a part of a family and we all have responsibility in a family, but they're not taking responsibility for their own health. Nobody else can change their decisions or clean up their health, and they're the one who's going to be the burden, you know what I mean. Like if you say to your partner, are you happy to push me around in a wheelchair because I'm going to lose my legs because I'm going to ignore my diabetes, you know what I mean? Or you're going to nurse me because of my heart condition because I'm not going to have a test on my heart because I think I don't have good heart health. I think you know, we're pass that time where it should be a surprise. The testing is available, the treatments are available, we know what we need to be doing. You should know where you're at because then you know how severe that decision is. The way to that decision, should you be so stressed at work, eat crap, work long hours. If you're on the verge of a heart attack, if you knew on the verge of a heart attack, would you choose to have the heart attack or would you choose to maybe go for a walk at lunch and pick up a salad instead of eating the pie downstairs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, everything you're saying I agree with, and it's true. But the other swing of the pendulum is, like I said, people are very emotional and defensive, and that it's hard to talk to people who don't want to be spoken to about it. And so you know, it's like I've had hard conversations with friends that I love that have literally been reducing their lifespan at an accelerated rate through their behavior, through their choices and behavior and lifestyle. And what I generally do is I go, I'm going to do this once and a few of them I've said too, I want to have a talk with you just because I love you. You might not want to talk to me after this, that's okay. But here's what I want to tell you. I'm not picking on you. It's not my intention anyway. I'm not picking on you. I'm not criticizing you. I want you to live a long and healthy and functional and happy life, and I have knowledge and understanding and experience that can help. So that's where I'm coming from. And then I tell them and sometimes it's well received and sometimes not, and sometimes they operationalize it and sometimes not. But it is difficult because like most people, I don't think like Kate Save. They don't and that's okay. And most people don't think like Tif Cook or Craig Harper, and we're not better than anyone else, but you know, the only person who thinks like me completely is me, And so we look through like I look through my lens at someone else's behavior and I'm like, what the fuck are you doing? But to them it's totally normal. So this is the challenge. Is like, even with conversations and messaging like this, we might be clinically and medically and scientifically right in inverted commas, but I guarantee you someone's listening to this right now getting pissed off at you. Right I guarantee you that someone right now hearing this is a bit fucked off because you don't fucking understand Kate Save. And it's all right for you, you're fucking skinny, blonde, blah blah blah. Right, that's that's true. That's true. And I understand them, and I understand that. And this is why all of this stuff is so fucking complicated. And on a level it's simple theoretically, it's simple. Practically, in the real world, away from the theory, it's anything but simple, so fucking complicated, absolutely.
Speaker 2: And I David, who's got Advara Hartcare. He's a cardiologist friend of mine, huge cardiology practice, And the way he presented it to me was he decided that he was sick of only meeting people after the event. And they, every single one of them, none of them said I wish this happened to me. They all said I wish there was something I could have done. I wish I knew right, And he's like, his whole practice is built on preventative health. Now he goes, I want to be meeting you before you've fallen off the cliff. I don't want to be cleaning up your messy body at the bob, so come and see me before that. And I think this is where this episode felt so important. At the start of the year, people are probably less angry at me right now. If I'm telling them to go and have a freakin' of free heart check, get David on your show. He will offer everyone a free heart check. I guarantee it. And that is the most important thing that anybody that you care about should do, because the last thing you want to be doing, and you've had to resuscitate a friend, is you know, lose someone that you love for something that is completely preventable. And this came to my mind well when I booked to do this podcast with you, because a colleague at worked with me said her and her husband just went to the GPGP was doing the wife's pressure and the husband said, do mine too, got he's checked. It was so high and then the doctor booked him in an ambulance. They took him to hospital. He had no symptoms. Had a triple cardiac bypath five weeks ago. Baho symptoms. We shouldn't be here in forties forties.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know.
Speaker 2: And the interesting thing is sometimes the first symptom is death. Yeah, and males in their forties is the most common time for that. Under fifty for that early death. I'm not the expert here, but very happy to put you on to David. I know, you know lots of cardiologists, but I think he's specifically about prevention. Is sick of seeing them when it's too late, because there were a million things you could do.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's let's now kind of move towards a potential solution of sorts. So if somebody's like, okay, this makes sense, I'm a little bit scared. I'm a bit nervous. Firstly, we got you, we get it, we get it. It took me quite a while to do the protest and send it off. It was a bit fuck nervous, right, quite a while to do the prostate fuck all that. I'm like, oh, for sure, I've gone this and I've got that. I was sick about four or five months ago, tiff nos because I for about six months I was I had fucking zero energy, and I was just pretending I had energy, and I had all of these myriad of symptoms, and yeah, I'm a big baby, so I put off. I'm like, oh, fucking jog it out. It's just this. It wasn't and I knew it wasn't. But anyway, it turns out I had a an infection that had just been fucking me up for a long time, but even even me in inverted commas like you know. But okay, so somebody's thinking about all right, I want to start to turn this ship around in the right direction. I don't want to reinvent myself by tomorrow. I don't want to make a hundred changes that I will not sustain. What's a good stepping off? And of course, remember everyone, there's no you know, there's no universal plan that works the same for everybody.
Speaker 2: But where should we think about starting k Go and speak to your GP. Say this year is the year that I want to learn about my health and I want to improve my health. Give me a full test for everything. I want everything. I want all my bloods done. I want to you know, give it. Refer me to someone to do a heart care check for me, Refer me for diabetes check. What else can I have done? And if there's anything that you felt change in your body, If things change in your body, there is something wrong that is a symptom. You need to speak about these changes in your body because people will always say, oh, yeah, about six months ago, I did notice this lump or this and that, but they never did anything about it. And I did that with the melanoma. I noticed a freckle that I took a photo of and in an app. And this is like many years ago, and the app said high risk. I did nothing about it, and it gave me a weekly alert for fifty two weeks, and still like I stopped paying for the app. And then I went to the skin cancer place and I went, this stupid app thinks I've got a high risk thing. Can someone look at it? They looked at it and said we're going to biopsy it. I had two kids with me that were supposed to be going to swimming lessons. I said, I'm going to have to come back at six o'clock and they biopsied it. A week later, I found out it was a melanoma, but it was only stage one, thank Kevin's. So I just think, if something changes in your body, no matter what it is my miggling knee stage four cart vilage damage, I had a change in my mental health. I felt less resilient and it's happened to me twice. And what I mean by that is I felt like in the past, if someone fought me over something or told me I wasn't good enough for this or that, I would do it anyway, and I was losing the will to fight back. And when had a blood test, I've twice had clinical zinc deficiency, which severely deteriorates your brain functioning and your mental health.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, wow, And that's the thing about and a zinc.
Speaker 2: I popped a pill and I was better. No one can hurt me.
Speaker 1: Fuck, that's amazing. I wonder what my zinc is. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Zinc is a really interesting one for men because you need it for testosterone and if you testosterone levels, let's talk about hormones. Females get their hormones checked. Males should be getting their hormones checked too. And if you don't have enough zinc, then you won't make good testosterone. If you don't have good testosterone, you won't build muscle well, and your moods won't be stable and all those sorts of things. So men need to have hormone tests too.
Speaker 1: Now this is not for anyone except me, So don't pay any attention to what Kate says to me. Now, everyone, Okay, fingers in your ears, don't listen. How much zinc should I take each day?
Speaker 2: Kate? You should test before you take zinc so don't start supplements without finding out what your levels are first.
Speaker 1: What's a typical dose? Let me ask a better question, like if you.
Speaker 2: Were taking a multi vitamin, it will have zinc in it. In small amounts. It might give you fifty percent of your recommended dietary intake or twenty five percent of your recommended dietary intake. It's pretty low, but if you have clinical zinc deficiency, you need really high levels to top you up. But you do not want to take higher levels if you're not low, because it will stop the absorption of other nutrients. Minerals all clash with each other in the body, So if you start supplementing something without counteracting it, you'll end up with another deficiency that use cause by taking the wrong thing. So get check first. Find out where you're at. Food wire, zinc is really high in oysters, That's why they say they're good for libido and whatever else. It's hie in nuts and seeds, certain nuts and seeds. It's in meat, it's in eggs, it's in most animal based products. It is nuts and seeds which are plant based as well. But how well do you absorb it? So you need good levels of hydrochloric acid it gets you know, it depends on how your gut functions and what your acid levels are like in your gut, and genetically genetically, because I've had all my genetic tests done as well. I don't absorb bever vitamin as well. I don't methylate vitamins, So if I take FOLL eight or bet well, it needs to be methylated folate or bet well otherwise it's poisoned. So thirty percent of people have the mt hfr gene, which means they can't process synthetic folate, which means it's poisonous to them. And it's in all of our fortified breads and cereals as well, So you'd want to know if you've got that gene because you shouldn't be taking that type of vitamin. Your regular multi vitamin won't be methylated and it won't work for you. It actually build up in your system. So happy blood tests done before you start supplementing and have them interpreted by someone who knows what they're talking about.
Speaker 1: Wow, well they we're all fucking terrified because of us.
Speaker 2: Can't I can plate foll eate and B twelve And this is particularly an issue for people that are supplementing fall late because they're trying to get pregnant. Find out if you need methylated full late.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Once you start googling this, it's everywhere. Anyone who's ever looked it up will know it inside out because once you see it, you can't unsee it.
Speaker 1: Well, Tiff might be having the first typ baby in the next year or so, So Tiff, you take that on board. Did you know Tif's got a boy on the go? No, like it like an actual grown up.
Speaker 2: No, hopefully he's got plenty of zinc.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lets plenty of lettin the metaphoric pencil. All right, stop it, stop every show. I just get her just with a zinger, just a thirty second zinger.
Speaker 2: Kate, tell people how they can.
Speaker 1: Ah, tell people how they can connect with you and find you and follow you.
Speaker 2: They can find me on Instagram, Kate say, if they can find me on LinkedIn and then beef it through Australia as well.
Speaker 1: Perfect, Thanks Tiff. Any questions or additions or subtractions.
Speaker 2: No questions here, No questions you, thank you, sir.
Speaker 1: To see nothing to see over here except she would like to delete the last comment and she's editing it. So you may well not hear it. If you hear this, just know that I said something fucking hilarious about sixty seconds ago. Thanks everyone, Bye,