Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Christinamiot. It's Monday, November eleventh. Anthony Albanesi's personal approval ratings have hit a new low. According to new data from Newspoll, the leadership contest between the PM and Opposition leader Peter Dutton is the closest it's ever been, as primary support for the Coalition lifts to forty percent for the first time. You can read analysis of those new numbers by our experts right now at the Australian dot com dot au. Jim Chalmers says any isolationist policy agenda enacted by US President elect Donald Trump wouldn't immediately threaten Australia's economy, but in a speech to the Australian Institute of Public Affairs tonight, the Treasurer says he is remaining cautious of a longer term tariff war between the United States and China. Christmas year could be in short supply this year if a bargaining dispute between Woolworths and the union representing thousands of its warehouse workers goes south. There's a pay rise on their wish list and they're threatening to walk off the job if the supermarket Giant doesn't deliver. That's today's episode. There are just six fridays between now and Christmas Day, or forty four sleeps or about two advent calendars, however you slice it. Christmas Day is close and when it rolls around, Australians around the country will sit down with their loved ones to celebrate in our unique style. There'll be presents and carols and Christmas Morning swims at the beach. Lights and decorations will adorn homes and malls and main streets the country. There'll be paper hats and Christmas crackers and collective groans at the dad jokes. Contained inside, they'll be prawns and Christmas hams and fresh zingy salads. Right, maybe not. The distribution network relied upon by Woolworths is facing significant disruption in these all important weeks before Christmas. It's warehouse workers say they're not being paid a fair wage and they're prepared to walk off the job if the supermarket giant doesn't come to the table with a better offer.
Speaker 2: Now, if that was to occur, the union says that would cause massive disruption to the delivery of goods. The supermarkets, so there would be delays in the boxes of goods being put on trucks and being sent out for the different supermarkets, so that would potentially lead to shortages.
Speaker 1: The union says you and Hannon is the Australian's Workplace Editor.
Speaker 2: All escalating our bargains with the United Workers Union, whose members work at four key distribution centers in Victoria and New South Wales. The bargaining has been going on for some time. The unions essentially want above inflation pay rises over the next three years. In some cases the combined increases would be as high as thirty six percent. The company in response, this is the distribution arm of Woolworths Primary connect They are proposing pay rises of about three and three and a half percent a year, which should be roughly inligned with inflation. There are two other key issues in dispute the distribution centers workers there are covered by a range of different enterprise agreements. The union once the workers all brought into one national agreement. The thirty issue is a contentious one in relation to a so called framework agreement, which is a surveillance operation that works on distribution warehouse workers where their work is monitored, but the union and the workforce argues that this puts the employers under too much pressure and increases the risks of safety accidents and potential injuries, and the union ones that's scrapped entirely.
Speaker 1: The lead up to Christmas is a critical time of year for Woollies. The supermarket chain needs to dramatically increase supply and make a huge number of specialty items available in order to meet shoper demand over the silly season. But when members of the United Workers Union met last week, they endorsed strike action that could include indefinite stoppages, and that means up to five million boxes of Christmas ham crackers and seafood could be in short supply.
Speaker 2: The company says it's put contingency plans in place to start stop piling and get supplies from other areas and also divert supplies from other distribus incentives. So obviously both sides are saying it'll have a particular impact, but we n't know until the actual form of the action is known, But certainly it would be an uncertain time for the company going into this critical Christmas period, both for consumers and both for the company's operations.
Speaker 1: When unions threaten to take this kind of industrial action, they usually need to give three days notice, but given what's at stake here, the notice period has increased to seven days, and that means workers could walk off the job as soon as Friday. The United Workers Union is putting pressure on Woolworths to bump up its payofer, but Woolley says its current offer is in line with inflation. Basically, it's a standoff.
Speaker 2: So what happens next is the meetings will occur on Tuesday, the workers will flag the next round of action or will probably be an escalation of the action. Now, if Wulworth stands firm and doesn't lift it softwer, that's going to increase the likelihood of action. But if the company does come back with a higher offer, which probably comes some way in between what the union is actually seeking as a headline rate and what the company is offering, there could be progressed. So the union says at once definitive above inflation increases given the cost of living pressures which are being faced by the workers. So, as you say, it's a classic standoff, there's a lot of dramatic talk and we'll see how it plays out. In the days and works.
Speaker 1: Ahead coming up why Woolley says things aren't exactly looking up. In twenty twenty five, it's been a tough year for Woolworths. The supermarket chain is facing a court case brought by the Consumer watchdog, which says it misled customers on price drops and discounts.
Speaker 3: The supermarkets are now scrambling to try and gain back the trust of customers.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: If the AH Triple C's allegations are true, it is without question misleading and manipulative behavior, especially during a cost of living crisis.
Speaker 1: Woolworth's former chief executive Brad Banducci, exited the business in September after a train wreck TV interview earlier in the year.
Speaker 2: I mean, he is retired, but I shouldn't have said that. Are we going to leave it in there?
Speaker 3: If we are, well, I mean we're on the record he said it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, let's move on. But yeah, yeah, no, I think I'm done.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: You know I do this with a good intent. You know, I don't do this for bad intent.
Speaker 2: You walking out?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 1: We just sent new boss Amanda Bardwell had only been in the job for seven weeks when at the end of October, the nation's largest retailer suffered a shock profit downgrade. That's because shoppers are tightening their purse strings and opting for heavily discounted groceries amid an ongoing cost of living crisis.
Speaker 4: Willworth's shares got hammered today after the supermarket chain released a surprise profit warning. Wilworth said customers were trading down and buying cheaper items, but it flagged weaker sales growth in the second quarter.
Speaker 1: Announcing those results, Bardwell wasn't exactly projecting an air of optimism about the year ahead.
Speaker 4: Amanda Bardwell said, we expect the environment for fiscal twenty twenty five to remain challenging. We will also continue to engage in good faith with the government and regulatory inquiries and investigations.
Speaker 1: Wilworth's biggest competitor, Coles, has an existing agreement with distributors to ensure its smooth sailing into Christmas, and Ewan says it could actually put coals in the more desirable commercial position in the lead up to the festive season. Surely a fight with its workers is the last thing Warworth needs right now.
Speaker 2: There's obviously a heightened appetite for an industrial action amongst workers. Where the workforces are unionized. There's a push on, particularly from the United Workers Union and other similar unions, for cost of living increases to stay above inflations. They say, companies like Warworks can afford them, and certainly the unions are trying to capitalize them that bad publicity that Warworks has suffered in recent times, to carry the public argument with them, to try to exploit this idea that wor worse might be on the nose with customers to a degree, and so hoping that the public could be sympathetic to their plight and give them the sort of momentum to take this industrial action. Although you've got to say any industrial action which affects such a big employer in the leadup to Christmas is not going to be popular with the general community.
Speaker 1: You and Hannon is The Australian's Workplace editor. You can read that exclusive story, as well as all the nation's best news, sport and politics, right now at The Australian dot com dot au