Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Something to Talk About the Stella Podcast. I'm Sarah La Marquin to your host. Every week I sit down with some of the biggest names in the country because when Australia's celebrities are ready to.
Speaker 2: Talk, they come to Something to Talk About.
Speaker 1: Today's guest, Celia Piccola, has been busy. She debuted her first live show in five years, became the host of everyone's favorite sketch series Thank God You're Here, starred in the LOGI nominated Utopia, and in between filming, writing and performing, she also had a baby. Celia likes to do things that scare her, which is perhaps why she's an actor, slash comedian, slash host, slash writer. She says it gives her anxiety, but almost in a good way because if things go bad, well at least she still gets a story out of it.
Speaker 2: On today's episode is.
Speaker 1: Something to Talk About, Celia joins me to talk about why she decided to host Thank God You're Here, about working with Luke McGregor, and her hilarious observation of what she realized as a new mother. We also talk about what she's planning to wear to the logis next month, and let's just say she won't have to shave her legs. Celia Pacola, welcome to something.
Speaker 2: To talk about.
Speaker 3: Hello, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: I mean, thank god you're here.
Speaker 3: As they say, I know, isn't it fun? So last year when that started happening, I was like, Oh, it's quite pleasant. It's actually quite a nice way to walk into a room. You just feel really wanted every week, and it's very nice.
Speaker 4: It would be nice.
Speaker 1: I think we should all walk into a room and everyone says, thank God you're here.
Speaker 2: Some of us feel that we have the opposite effect on people.
Speaker 3: I'm leaving.
Speaker 1: Congratulations are in order. You have been nominated for a LOGI this year. Thank God You're here is nominated. But you have also been nominated for a LOGI for Actress in a Comedy for your role in Utopia.
Speaker 3: This is great. Thank you very much. I'm very excited. I have not and I'm going to go. I haven't gone for the last few years. I've missed them for whatever such and such reason. But I'm very excited, very happy for Utopia. Which is kind of a blur because I had a tiny, uh baby that I have at the moment when we were filming that and a fringe that I regret, so it was a difficult time for me, but I'm very excited and I'm very happy for Rob Sitch as well as nominated for his performance in Utopia and the show the whole show as well, So I'm very toughed. It'd be great to be there, and thank God that's huge for me. You know, the fact that we that the show happened at all and that people liked it is a big deal. So I'm very proud to turn up.
Speaker 1: You of course, saw the host of Thank God You're here, and I would love to talk to you a little bit today about the different career incarnations that you have as an actor, as a comedian, as a writer.
Speaker 2: But hosting a show.
Speaker 1: How did that feel when you first started doing that, Because there's a big responsibility on your shoulders, and it's obviously such a beloved comedic format, but you also have to be a little bit of the slide attendant, the sensible person in the room, keep things on course.
Speaker 2: How is all of that sit with you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I've been approached to host things in the past and I've always said no. I understand why people would think that I might do it because my style is quite conversational and stuff, but I'm scared of it for that reason because I don't want to be in charge. I don't want to be responsible for other people having a good time or a bad time. You know. I'm like, no, no, I'd much rather go in, do my thing and then go home. But with this, what actually happened was I was the first I was taken out for a cup of coffee, and the conversation was so you know, thank god you hear. I'm like, yes, that huge part of my childhood. I was already old then less old than I am now. Yes, it's coming back. And my heart sank because I thought they were going to go would you like to go through the door? Which feels me with absolute terror, but simultaneously knowing that I would do it because it's one of those things where if I get asked to do something, being scared is not a good enough reason to not do it. So I was like, oh, no, I'm going to go through the door, and they went we were thinking, would you be interested in hosting it? And it's the first time where I went, oh, yeah, that's way easier, Like I just went off, Yeah, of course yes I can, because for this show, the host, it's not about me, Like my job is not is not the show if I fail. It's not that. My job is really to be a flight attendant, as you say, to be traffic control and just enjoy it, which I do.
Speaker 4: I love it, like I.
Speaker 3: Just get to be there and watch and just have a fun time, which I already am. So every way I turned it in my mind, I was like, I think this is a good thing that I can. I can do, like that's bare minimum of my job is to just go you go through that door and then watch the show. And I'd been doing that from home anyway, so I was nervous. But no, it's the first hosting position that I've accepted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always good sometimes in managing your fears if there's a scarier alternative.
Speaker 2: So if you first thought it was like a bit of relief, maybe it just puts I mean.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's the only reason that I said yes, is because I was scared of something that was more scary. But no, I really and the other fear was because it's such a beloved show, as you were saying as well, is like I don't want to be the person who breaks it. I don't want it to be the reason why it comes back and it didn't work, you know sometimes, So there was that fear as well. But yeah, as I say, every way I turned it, I was like, the other thing is with this show because of the guests who come on. I love that it's such an incredible range of up and coming new voices that the nation hasn't seen. There's also pretty established comedians who are jobbing and working and everywhere right now. And then there's the upper level, you know, comedians who I've looked up to who before me, and I've actually been doing comedy for almost twenty years now. So I feel like half of them are my best mates, half of them are new people that I'm excited to see half of them, and the third half I wasn't good at math ah my comedy heroes. So I really thought, I think I can be useful in this space. Like I feel like people, I know who these people are, I'm excited to see them, and I know how to treat them with respect, do you know what I mean? Like I feel like if I'd been asked to host a gardening show, I'd be like no, because this is not my area. I don't know what I'm doing, and I don't know what any of these plants are, but I'm thank god you're here. I know all the plants very well.
Speaker 1: And I imagine there is obviously that mutual understanding and respect for what one another does, because that's right. It is a whole different approach than if you are on a gardening show, for respect to gardeners. But obviously there's a shorthand what is the green room like?
Speaker 2: Backstage?
Speaker 3: Oh? There is one here, Okay, well, it's like a theme park, honestly, backstage, so everyone is kept siloed. It is so secretive, so none of the performers are able to see pretty much each other, or any of the ensembles or any of the props. There's animals walking around backstad like it is. It's a fun park. You wouldn't believe what is real, but it has to be real for the show to work, so everything is kept separate.
Speaker 4: There are huge sets.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's half a boat going past over there, and then down there there's a marching band, and then there's a box full of bees for some reason, and it is just a ridiculous chaos, but very organized chaos happening backstage. So there's no real green room. There's a little green room after the show, and that is the best time because that's just when everyone gets to debrief and go, oh my god, could you believe when that happened? What were you thinking when that happened? And that's so so we get to come together. The bees aren't in that. The bees get taken away doing it by that point. But yeah, so it's a there's a real nervous excitement and energy before the show. But yeah, it's not like any sort of standard green room that you'd have, say in a comedy club or you know, in any other television show that I've ever worked on.
Speaker 1: A lot of people would be surprised to hear you earlier when you were first offered the role, or when you thought, oh my goodness, they're going to ask me to actually walk through the door, that you would have even had any trepidation about that.
Speaker 2: Because you have worked in the industry for twenty years.
Speaker 1: As you just said, you've hosted your first live show in five years.
Speaker 2: I'm as surprised as you are.
Speaker 1: In twenty sixteen, you became the youngest woman to host the Gala for the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. Do you still obviously that nervous energy imagine fuels every performer, every comedian. But how has your anxiety, your self, doubt, general nervousness improved or abated in any way over the course of your career.
Speaker 3: I should say it's probably fifteen what I'm like twenty. I wasn't doing standard when I was twenty one, so it's probably more like fifteen years I was. I was giving myself an extra five years because, as I say about at Maths, it seems like that's going to be a theme. I have learnt about myself that there will always be nerves, and there should be. I choose jobs now that I'm a bit scared of I have to. You know, I'm always going to be a bit nervous, But I think that's more so because I also now choose jobs where I will be a bit nervous, because that means it's a challenge if I'm a bit nervous. Look, the anxiety thing is a longer story and a longer road. It's still it's about managing it. It's part of who I am and always will be, So it's about managing it and sometimes I'm better at that than others. I'm generally I'm not as terrified of everything as I was, which I think just happens with when you get runs on the board. So most of the things that I've done, I'm doing it for the first time. So doing the gala for the first time that was the most terrifying thing in the world. And then the second time I did the gala, it wasn't as scary because just logically, I'm like, I have proof that you are able to do this, so it's not as scary. So then hosting the gala, I was like, well, I have no reference of hosting the gala before, so that's scary. And then the next time I host something, you just sort of start accumulating proof of what your skills are and times that you've done something that was scary and it was fine. So I don't know. So that just continuing to work means my lodge, I can't argue with the facts, which are you can and have done something like this before, so it'll probably be fine. Does that mean that you might have a blank and wei pants on stage? You might, I really might. I might do it right now, There are no there is always the possibility. But I think just continuing to do the scary things and being proved that you can and it'll probably be okay makes it a bit easier to go this will probably be okay too.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if you ever have had a blank and weed your pants on stage, but are there some moments that stand out for you that you just completely froze or thought, I can't get through this, and then a bit to what you were just talking about, Celia.
Speaker 2: Once you get through something, then there's an inner.
Speaker 1: Knowledge whatever it is in life career, that I got through that, so I probably can handle whatever gets thrown at me next time.
Speaker 3: The good thing in my line of work is if it does or if it is a complete disaster, then you get a story out of it, you know. So actually, if something terrible happens, it's terrible thing amongst communities when you have conversations and someone will tell you something awful, they've just had the worst time, and in your mind you're like, damn it, that's gonna be a good show. That is very that's gonna be a really good show. So there's that aspect of it, but really bad ones that have happened just in terms of weaving myself. I might do material about this one day because this was a fun There was a fun period of my career where thanks brain, you know when you do sometimes you just got my thanks brain where I hadn't. But whilst on stage, my brain told me that I had wet my pants. So I'd be telling jokes, and whilst telling jokes, my brain is going, Celia, they're not laughing at your jokes anymore. They're all laughing because you've wet yourself and they're thinking, why is this one standing on stage and not addressing the fact that she's wet her pants, And so my mind would go, you haven't, no, but you have, so just look down and check that you haven't wear your pants, And then I'd go, you can't do that, because then you're gonna look like a crazy person who's mid sentence just looking at your cross for no reason. So that's a thing that actually happened. So that wasn't fun. I've also blanked. That's the nightmare scenario for me is just forgetting. And that's the anxiety dreams that I'll have where you know, I think every career, I don't know, if you have this, you have you know, like you have anxiety dreams, so do you have in your version you dream that you're interviewing someone and you can't remember who they are or what the questions.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think going blank in any sort of live pressure environment is I think a nightmare for anyone, whether you're doing a speech or on television, just thinking I have no idea what was about to be in my brain.
Speaker 2: It's a terrifying concept.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's happened and not. The thing is, it's always not as bad as it seems to you. So for you it feels like two and a half hours of silence into them. It's probably pretty quick and generally I'll just lean into it. If it's that bad, you just say it, just own it. Because I'm all about getting material out of embarrassing myself anyway, so I'd just go listen, I'm going to come clean here. I've forgotten what I was going to say, and I don't know what it is, so what could we do about it? And just trying to get out of it that way. My most terrifying on stage thing was doing live at the Apollo, which is.
Speaker 4: I'd say probably still one of the biggest comedy stages in.
Speaker 3: The world, like when I was coming up that was like, that was the gig and it was a twenty minute set, I think, and it was going quite well. I'm like, I'm doing it. I'm getting away with it. Oh my gosh, I'm going to do it. And there was a clock on stage and I was almost finishing my routine, so I thought I'd be at like sixteen minutes or something, and I looked at the clock and it was like seven minutes. So I had just rushed. I'd gone so fast. I'm like, oh no, I've done like half of my time and I've got no jokes left. This is in my mind, by the way, on stage, so immediately I haven't watched it back because I'll be sick. I just slowed, just suddenly started talking so slow. So my mind is going, what am I gonna do? What am I gonna do? I'm gonna run out of material. Do I end how I was supposed to end, which has a callback or what so? Or do I just try and think of some more jokes out of my mind and put them in. It's incredible what the brain can do simultaneously. Anyway, in the end, I finished it as I was going to finish. It was way earlier, and I just came clean to the audience. I went listen. What's happened is knowing it was going to be edited. Here's what's happened. I've got a bit excited, and I finished a bit early, so I've got time for another joke. Do you want to hear a joke about this? Or about this?
Speaker 4: I'm actually asked their way outsourced it.
Speaker 3: I don't know I was singing. I just panicked. I'm like, I can't make another decision, and did an extra bit of material. So that is an example of it was my absolute nightmare. The nightmare happened, and it's and then it's fine, and now I would care everything is in the past. That's the other thing that helps Miller is the things that I was so scared about for so long. As soon as that happened, then they're in the past and you don't think about them again. Really, apart from that one, which I'm clearly haunted by.
Speaker 1: And up next Celia's thoughts on if comedy is still a man's world and why she doesn't want to represent all women. When we talk about that, fifteen years so not twenty years and don't worry about maths because you're talking to a journal so we're very bad at maths.
Speaker 2: Here comes fight for all journalists, but for myself it's pretty bad. Celia.
Speaker 1: Over that fifteen years, can I ask how you've seen some changes in the industry, I think particularly asking you as a woman. As I mentioned you were the youngest woman to host the gala for the Melbourne International Comedy Festival.
Speaker 2: I would imagine, like a lot of.
Speaker 1: Women in industries that are traditionally male dominated, there's been a lot of first for you, and even if they're not first, often sometimes still in a minority in the room. There has been a reckoning in a lot of different industries in the last ten to fifteen years. There's still a perception I think that comedy is a little bit blokey. What are your observations about that?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm still working, do you know it's I look, I don't know it Definitely it's difficult as well, because i'd say it's better. But I'm at a different point that I was, so I'm not walking into rooms the same way I was when I was brand new and I didn't see other women. You know, it was maybe one other woman and need to cling to each other. But maybe that's different now at that level, but I'm not there. It definitely was a thing and is a thing. But I just think we've got such wonderful talent, not just in this country, in the world. Who are you know, getting work? Sure they can always be more, but the way that I've sort of tried to approach it is sort of support each other as much as you can and be as good as you can do. I get an extra kick if I'm successful when someone thinks that I wasn't gonna be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great. Like I used to early.
Speaker 3: Date, you know, going to gigs and people go, whose boyfriend are you? And then did it feel delicious to get up on stage and be really funny?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: So I like that. And then there's that thing of sometimes if there's any sort of you know, oh you only got this because you're with that kind of stuff, I always think. But then you it's up to you to stay there. Whatever advantages there are are outweighed by the disadvantages there were, if that makes sense. So you just have to be as good as you can be, just be just work as hard as you can be and as I say, this is the thing is and in this way, in the same way in comedy is I don't, I can't and don't want to present all women. That's what I find in the industry and in this like on stage. I did feel that back then, which is, if you're if you're if you're not funny on one gig, then all women aren't funny, you know, and it shouldn't be that way. And in the same way, I'm not ever sure how to answer this question because in my experience, I've had a six I've managed to have a successful career as a woman in comedy. So it's got to be it's it's Was it hard, Yeah, but I'm sure.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's of course it's hard.
Speaker 3: It's comedy. It's a ridiculous way to make a living with no guarantees and no direct path. So but little things like, for example, thank god you're here. Fourteen years ago, it was a male host, uh, and it was generally three men and a woman going through the door, and this last season and this season it's a female host, and it's.
Speaker 4: Always a greater, more diverse cast.
Speaker 3: So yes, in that way, I can that's some that I can tangibly point to and go that has improved, and I think that's great.
Speaker 2: I agree completely with what you said. It is so true. Ceally, like, if.
Speaker 1: A woman says a joke that isn't funny or fails in a high profile enterprise, it's like, oh, we can't get women there. Women aren't funny. People don't like to see women in those roles. It's not fair and I shouldn't have to ask you about it. But I think in terms of a time capsule, the representation on Thank God You're here, as you said, that's a really good example. It's not just a bad fringes or fringes haircuts we regret that come.
Speaker 3: Back from TV.
Speaker 2: That's a positive case.
Speaker 3: Stuffy.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we talked about Utopia earlier and I wanted to also ask about some of your acting work.
Speaker 2: Ceily.
Speaker 1: You start alongside Sarah Snook in The Beautiful Lie of Course rose Haven, which he wrote, and start in alongside Luke McGregor.
Speaker 2: You've been in Offspring, that's right.
Speaker 1: Tell me a little bit about the pro ress of acting embodying another character as opposed to playing a version of yourself, I imagine, but also ultimately yourself in your comedy work.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, I'm not a good enough actor that they are characters. Unfortunately, they are all pretty much versions of myself. I don't have a lot of range. This is not me shooting on myself. I'm quite good at be myself, but they all are. They are all pretty much versions of myself. Well, we will just say this. What I love about acting, it's sort of what I love about acting and stand up side by side is that I love that stand up. I can say whatever I want. I'm full creative control and it's free and it's me and I'm in charge. I can do what everyone But what I love about acting is someone else tells me what to do. Oh it's great. I turn up, they go put this on and say this, and it's wonderful. Particularly Utopia, I feel so smart. I feel like I've got a real job. I get to go in and pretend to be a smart, professional woman. It is fantastic. It's such an escape for me. It's wonderful.
Speaker 4: So my preparation for that show is pretty much.
Speaker 3: To learn my lines and say them. The scripts are so good, and my character's intention is always the same. It's is just I'm just trying to get something done, and these idiots I'll make in my life.
Speaker 4: Hell, that is what I have to do.
Speaker 3: So it's just the writing is so good that I and that's that's my character's intention. So that's really fun. Beautiful Lie is the only drama I've ever done, and I loved it, and since then I have been begging the universe to put me in another one and it has not happened. And Sarah Snook was very generous and patient with me because I am not classically trained, and yeah, I just really I really liked it, and that one my character was my husband slept with the nanny. And I remember when I auditioned, I told my agent, I'm like call them and tell them that I have been cheated on my real life and I can do this. I've got it in me to pretend this part give me the I really really wanted it, but I don't know just pretending. I wish I had a real actor, actors behind the in the act of studio answer for you, but I don't. I just really take each role as they as they come and try and be as real and as natural as I can be. And often with comedy, just less is more is always is always the way people think because it's comedy, it's this should be this big ridiculous thing, but it's it's really not. You're still a real person. It's not just because it's funny to someone watching doesn't mean it's funny to you. You just play it, play it real and coming up.
Speaker 1: Celia tells all about her working relationship with her work husband Luke McGregor, and how matherhood has impacted her comedy.
Speaker 2: I mentioned Luke.
Speaker 1: McGregor there, amongst some of your collaborators and co stars, you seem to have the perfect work wife were husband relationship.
Speaker 2: People are quite fascinated by that.
Speaker 3: I know I miss him so much. He's moved to Newcastle, which makes me very sad, but I see him as much as I possibly can. We kind of fluked it, so we met on Utopia and we went, oh, we quite get along, how about we try and pitch a show together. But we weren't really close friends when we started the process. Luckily that became an incredibly strong friendship, but there was no guarantees of that. But yeah, he's genuinely my best friend in real life. I loved working with him. We just both always came back to We had a few fights in the early days and figured it out. Because we're both so nervous and anxious and paranoid and conflict averse. Often we'd have pre fights like we'd go in and I'd go, I'm in a mood, and I feel like we're going to fight about this, so it just sort of get ahead of it. One time, the biggest fight we had, I stormed out of my own house, which.
Speaker 2: Was dumb because I got nowhere to go.
Speaker 3: I had to come back in, so that was bad. But we always come back to what's the best for the show. Any disagreement we had, we both just well. The other good thing is well we both respected each other's work going in, so it wasn't there was no power thing. We were both on an equal footing. We were both doing stand up around the same level. I thought he was funny, he thought I was funny, and we came together and went, what's the best show that the two of us can make together? And whenever we had any disagreement, it would be what will make the show better? And then we had us Michael Lucas, who's gone on to write so many things. He wrote The news Reader and offspring and so many things. He was our script editor, script produced, script editor, and so he was our line call tiebreaker if ever we needed to take it somewhere else. But no, I really lucked out with Luca. Was really sad finishing the show. But we did five seasons and we thought we want to wanted to end it on our terms, and I'm really proud of the final season. And uh yeah, it's a lot of beautiful memories. But we were so young when we started. I mean we weren't. We would have been like thirty. But looking back at it now, I'm like, oh, those babies, there's little babies in Tazzy.
Speaker 1: And also, of course we spoke earlier about motherhood. You had your first baby, not with Luke, just very No, It's just I just wanted to I was very an on screen spousal relationship, not in real life.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's actually on screen platonic as well. So that's that's just another fun fact that we loved. So when we pitched it, we initially started trying to write a show where we were a couple because that seems funny on paper, and it just didn't work. We were like, this is this, this is does not, This doesn't work. So we wrote it as us as friends, and the ABC were like, but they'll get together in the end, right, And we were like, sure, sure they will, thinking no that I'm going to And then after the first season the sort of networks everyone saw that the audience.
Speaker 4: Were really okay, really enjoyed.
Speaker 3: Having a platonic relationship on screen, that it didn't have to It didn't we didn't need that, so they let us keep going with them never ever getting together. But no, my baby is not Luke McGregor's child. But when she was born, I was like, oh, she might be red, she might be a redhead. And then I'm like, this is going.
Speaker 4: To be this is going to look really bad if she is a red head speculation.
Speaker 3: But my partner's Irish, so but she's she's an alburn baby. But yes, I have a small I have a small person who lives in my house.
Speaker 2: Now, how is that?
Speaker 1: Because there's nothing like having a small person living in your house to completely upend everything. Often, if there's a father that is on the podcast or a new dad, I will often say to them, how do you juggle everything? Because traditionally women get our set all the time. And we don't ask men that enough, and I think often men want to be asked that because everyone is balancing things and everyone's juggling things. So just making a disclaimer there that this is a question that I would ask a dad as well. But obviously, given the nature of your work, silly because you are traveling, they are long days, often unusual hours because if you're performing live on stage, you're obviously it's not like a nine to five. I don't know how many Australians actually work nine to five anymore anyway, But to ask the dreaded cliche question, but it's a cliche because a lot of us do struggle with it. How are you finding the juggle?
Speaker 3: It's a movable feast because it's changed so much as she changes, so it's completely different. Now, long story show, Well, this is what my show was about. But my stand up show pretty much covers the last five years, which is meeting my partner, getting pregnant and those two things happened very close to and then us moving in together and having the baby and the sort of newborn stage.
Speaker 4: That's that's sort of the capsule of what that is.
Speaker 3: If anyone like more information. When that show will come out.
Speaker 4: But basically, overall, I.
Speaker 3: Found the first six months pretty pretty awful and difficult, even though I was working a bit then, and that is world away from where I am now, which is pretty it's pretty manageable, which she's in childcare three days a week. I've got my mind back, I'm working, you know.
Speaker 4: So it's still the juggle is real, but it's.
Speaker 3: It's still close enough to what it was and how impossible everything seemed such a short time ago that I'm so grateful right now, do you know what I mean? So it's it's just and that'll change again, Like we're currently at the point where like, oh, she's about to she's gonna she's about to drop her nap, so it's changing. It It just it's I can't get over how much, just like in the first stages, you're pretty much living hour to hour, if not minute to minute, and then she's this many days, and then it's it's in weeks and it's this. As soon as something stops being relevant information, you just drop it from your life and it moves on to the next stage. And that's what's important and that's how you fit things around it. But how do I manage. I don't know, you just do. It's one of those things when I, as a person who have one kid, look at people with two kids and go, how are you doing that? And then they're looking at people with through because you just do. You just make it work. My partner is also freelance, so this is the other thing. So well, it's everything's got it's pros and cons. So that is good in that we're both we're both flexible, but it's also can suck in that we both have lives that can spin on one email that goes, oh, I just found out I now need to go into state tomorrow for three days. So it's it's we've got some babysit of support, a bit of family support. It's just I don't know. Everything is compared to what it was, way easier right right now, that start bit and that's not everyone's experience. I don't know. Again, it's one of those things. It's what it's like for you. But yeah, that's a lot. Yeah, as I say in my one hour show, it's still like this. That show could have been five hours. There's so much to it that I understand why people would go I'm going to do a podcast about this, and because there's just so much that is outrageous that we just act like it's normal. I just did another interview, will use it, but they went, what's the weirdest thing about having a baby? And I'm like, everything, everything is weird. Everything is weird. The fact that I grew a person, the fact that people are just walking around like this is like not talking about it is insane to me that you grew a tiny person and now they're there and they have wants and needs and opinions and they.
Speaker 4: Wear shoes what.
Speaker 3: So parts of it are spectacular and wonderful, and parts of it were really difficult, but it's all it's all weird. But I'm very grateful. But that's the other thing is going into it. And this is in my show. When I was pregnant, It's like being on a roller coaster carriage going up the biggest incline that bit, and you just have no idea what's what's gonna come And you just watch more pregnant women, like women who are more pregnant than you, further along and just every now and then they just disappear over the edge and you have no idea what's happened to them, what was about to happen to you? So when I was pregnant, I genuinely was like, maybe I won't come back to stand Up, maybe I won't work again. Like I didn't know. I gener really didn't know how it was gonna affect me what I'd feel like doing after I had a kid. So I'm very happy that Stand Up came back. I really enjoyed doing that show and doing Thank God, I'm happy to be still working. And so I'm I'm feeling pretty good with the balance at the moment. After thank God doing your finishes. The slate is clean. So ask me to get in six months and I don't know what I'll be doing, but right now it's and I think I'm a better parent at home when I am working, doing work that I'm enjoying for a bit of the time as well, because then there's the guilt, you know, there's all of that gilt you damned if you do, damned if you don't. Really absolutely pretty much everything as a woman, isn't it?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: Pretty much is?
Speaker 1: That is part of that crazy roller coaster, the highs and the loves of a really beautiful answer, Celia, Thanks so much for that that.
Speaker 2: I'm sure a lot of that.
Speaker 1: Really resonated with me, and I'm sure with a lot of other people listening. I'm conscious of time, so I will let you go. But all the best of the logis, by the way, are you going? Can you tell us what you're wearing before we go? Because you do rock some pretty good power suits.
Speaker 3: Wow, I think it will be a suit. Corinda is my stylist on Thank God You're Here and is spectacular, so she is responsible for my suits because you know, because when I was hosting, like, well it has to be it can't be stand up version of Celia and I have to stand up and the audio is very close, so it's not going to be skirts. And then the suit. We agreed on suits, but then what she's done with that, Like the first episode was a pink and gold velvet thing, which I said on the show, that's like it was like the dress code.
Speaker 4: Was sexy couch. I went out as a sexy couch.
Speaker 3: In episode one, and they've only gotten more outrageous the other night for an episode I won't you try and guess which episode this will be on. When we were filming Thank God, I worked it on stage and someone in the audience it just escaped them out. They couldn't help.
Speaker 4: Themselves went, look at what you're wearing.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I know, so Carinda is in charge. We haven't chosen anything yet, but I think it will be something suit related because also suit's very forgiving. Oh my gosh, I'm never wearing spanks again now I don't even have to shave my legs.
Speaker 4: It's the dream.
Speaker 3: So I think it will be some kind of suit, but it needs to be extra, so I don't know how she's going to manage to make it more extra than the outrageous things that I wear on Thank good.
Speaker 1: All right, well, I look forward to seeing that what the extra suit is going to look like, and very very practical too, because a long afternoon and a long day and a long night at the Slogi's so.
Speaker 2: You want to be comfortable?
Speaker 3: Are you going? Have you been?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, they've pulled back on it.
Speaker 1: So but when I did last go, I was not wearing a suit and was not comfortable. So all for you, and I think everyone will be supporting that decision. Celia Pacola, thank you so much for your time today.
Speaker 2: Lovely to speak to you.
Speaker 3: Pleasure you two, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: And you can see Celia Pacola Oh Thank God You're Here, which will debut on ten and ten Play on Wednesday, August fourteenth at seven point thirty. And if you've enjoyed this episode, make sure you're following us because we'll be back with another exclicive guest on Something to talk About next week