Speaker 1: Appogie Production. Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mum? Podcast? And we're on Socialist too. Am I a Bad Mum? On Instagram?
Speaker 2: We are. There are some really funny memes getting round at the moment. I found myself like in the deep dive of obviously that Kendrick Lamar song after the NFL. I don't know if you've the super Bowl. It seems to be on every meme at the moment. But it's that they not like us, you know, like they're not like us. They're not like us, They're not like it just repeats itself, but it's the dance that he does. But the one on the weekend was all about sport coming back and being that type of parent.
Speaker 1: So I owned it and.
Speaker 2: Just said, yes, yes, this is me. I am going to be that parent, super competitive.
Speaker 1: As one knows. Something funny happened the other day actually talking about memes. This is like a real life meme. So I was on the phone to Holly standard end of the school day. Sorry, I'm late my way, I'll be there soon. Just wait outside, and she starts going, oh my god, and I was like, what's up. She was like, this girl was like half getting in the car, a mom starts driving off, she's not fully in, she still got a leg out, and I went, see, look how busy and preoccupied moms are. Hollywent so quick, didn't even think about what she was going to say, and she went, yeah, the mum was probably on her phone, not even thinking about her kid.
Speaker 2: Whoa pot calling kettle? Just here for somebody that loves the screen?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ps I did that the other day and Gracie got so angry at me because I definitely wasn't on a screen. Just fyi, Holly, But I was absolutely just not paying attention, you know, when your mind is like forty five other places.
Speaker 1: And I just assumed she had.
Speaker 2: Closed the door and I started to like move obviously very slowly because we were coming out of the garage.
Speaker 1: But she got really flustered and was like, Mum. It was like, oh, calm down.
Speaker 2: Might have just half run over your leg, but calm down.
Speaker 1: But Mike Cairl say that to me all the time. They're like, you're not listening to me, And I'm like, you don't understand how many things moms are thinking about at every given moment. We've got so many things going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got this morning across the bench now, Katie. This is after I'd asked in a calm, contained voice at three separate occasions in the hour long I've got everything else ready, you just need a water bottle.
Speaker 1: You just need a water bottle.
Speaker 2: How did you go with the water bottle situation? And then just as like everyone's about to leave, Sam's trying to ship them out the door, or them just Gracie and himself, and I turned to Gracy and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, just get your fucking water bottle. You still don't have one.
Speaker 2: She's oh, stop yelling at me.
Speaker 1: You're always yelling. I didn't yell the first seven times I asked, I can't.
Speaker 2: And then Sam looks at me and was like, well, oh, don't even start, bro, if you want me to go there, I actually don't even have all day?
Speaker 1: Am I a bad mum for being tight?
Speaker 2: I think there comes a time where we all sort of like pull on the strings of the purse a little bit. Like obviously every situation is so different, but like sometimes I just get to that point where I'm like, no, I don't care if you're hungry, you won't starve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've got food at home.
Speaker 2: I'm not buying you anything from the servo.
Speaker 1: Mike always I am always asked to buy foot. We could be two minutes from home, can you stop at the petrol station and get No, we've got food at home. Just wait two minutes. We've got nothing at home. We absolutely have got food at home. There's just nothing that's going to jump out at you and open itself. And that's the same thing.
Speaker 2: With like those little moments as apparent where you go, no, No, I'm not spending my money on you.
Speaker 1: Oh, you never spent Oh. I had a moment and I was talking to a couple of mums who have got much younger kids, and they were talking about schools and their kids are at school yet, and then we got onto the conversation of you know, how much certain schools cost and all the rest of it, state school versus private school, all the rest of it. And I was like, I am in a situation. I felt quite happy with myself. I felt, you know, almost like I was gloating a little bit, because I was like, You've got this whole journey to go on. Now, I've got one more year. Yeah, and I don't have to pay for school anymore. Yeah, I was so excited.
Speaker 2: Does it move on to UNI though?
Speaker 1: For you? No, I've already had that conversation. You want to go to UNI? There's hex deep Yeah good, okay, yeah, great, hat to go. Good on you. But there's a couple of reasons why I'm tired.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, I could give you a few more reasons why.
Speaker 1: But there's two reasons for this topic today. The first one is that my girls are going to semi formal in a couple of weeks. Now. Not only have we had to hire dresses. Just on that hiring dresses, I'm sure hiring dresses used to be like really quite reasonable. You're wearing it for a night, You're taking it back, They're getting use out of it. People were hiring the same dress every single week, like one hundred and was it? I feel like it was one hundred and sixty dollars each, Yeah, just to hire the dress for one evening. Then the girls are telling me they need their hair and makeup done, okay, specially occasion, yep. Then they're telling me they want their nails done. I'm like, okay. In my head, I'm like working out how much money this is. I'm like adding it up. I'm like, this is more money, more money, more money, Okay, And then they're telling me they need a different outfit for post semi so wherever they go afterwards, I don't even know. Ye a different outfit. This is not your fucking wedding. Yeah, like we're not having a wedding dress and then a reception dress, change of outfait. Yeah, why can't you wear the same dress? Well, just why can't you just wear what you've got any cupboard?
Speaker 2: Yes, you're going to get trashed in it anyway, let's be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they act like they've got all the money in the world. Where you got expectation is that they're rich. Remember Holly said to me that day where she got a bus and then a train and then another bus and then they walked to get to the beach. She went, oh, yeah, like I was on the buses and like it was all a bit sketchy and I felt like a poor person. I went, you are a poor person, yeah, wow, yeah, you don't earn any money. So then they throw on me literally the other day on the weekend, and they go, we need to buy the tickets. We have to buy it today. The deadline is today. If we don't buy the tickets today, we don't get to go. And not only do we have to buy tickets for ourselves, we have to buy the tickets. And when she says we, it's me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have to buy a ticket for the guys that are going with them, who I don't even know, who they have never even met, And I had to buy their ticket five hundred dollars on tickets, on four tickets. Two kids I've never met, who my girls have just spoken to on Snapchat. Oh, they don't even like them. These guys are just props. They need to turn up to the semi apparently someone.
Speaker 2: And this is like a junior version of maths. It's like I'm married at first light. You're just not getting married. It's like semi formal at first sight. Yeah, Like because they've never met snap is not including meeting No I.
Speaker 1: Know, you've not met them. No, you don't know them.
Speaker 2: Like, what if they turn up and he's never heard of like a bo spray or after shape, You're with that for the rest of the night.
Speaker 1: What if they don't turn up and then I've bought two tickets, You're.
Speaker 2: You're going to semi formal you and I are going to semi Moore.
Speaker 1: That is what the backup is.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I hadn't thought of that. What if they don't turn up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Surely they would not not turn up. Well I hope not not for you girls sake. Horrible.
Speaker 2: That is horrible, but it's possible in this day and age. Because sorry ghosted them on their semi formal.
Speaker 1: That's pretty harsh.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, I don't know that'd been so nervous for me as you're I'd be so nervous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are nervous, and I'm nervous, just.
Speaker 2: Like want to catch up maybe for like a milkshake or something beforehand.
Speaker 1: Like you'd think.
Speaker 2: But well, okay, let's go role reverse or Katie, and we'll go back to being tight.
Speaker 1: The role reversal of this is.
Speaker 2: I'm the mom of the young boy that is taking your daughter to semi formal. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, when you say taking, if he was taking them, wouldn't he the ticket.
Speaker 2: I know it's a bit weird, but your daughters go to an all girls school, so maybe this is just like the difference between like all girls and then you know that requirement whereas like so for me, I'm dropping my son off to a complete stranger's house to go with their daughter who is a complete stranger to my son.
Speaker 1: Or does he come to the house first, wouldn't you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Where do they get photos?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Everyone gets photos and goes together in a car. I was waiting for you to say that asked for like a fancy car. I was like, oh shit, yeah, so even as that, I'd be like going, like, I feel really awkward about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel all good about the whole thing. Look, it's so weird weird to me. It's so weird to me.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we must be old.
Speaker 1: I went to a co ed state school. Yeah, and I remember my what was called prom in the UK. I went with Brad. He wore a South Tark tie, of course he did. He were a South type Brad. And we hopped in a car with my friend and her date. But that was because we were all friends. Like the four of us, the two guys and two girls, were really good friends, so it wasn't weird.
Speaker 2: This is like, yeah, I'm exactly a blind date. This is like a blind dates. What I'm saying, it's like.
Speaker 1: A blind date that I'm paying for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that they were all dressed up. You're paying for and you've just got to hope that they turn up. Mine was exactly the same as yours. We didn't even do a semi so we were like we went to just our formal in grade twelve, but I went to a co ed public school, so it was just like pick a random out of your grade and go with them if you.
Speaker 1: Wanted to, or you just go as a group of girls, or.
Speaker 2: Just go as a group of girls.
Speaker 1: Yes, you didn't even need a partner. I said that to the girls. Social suicide, social suicide. I'll tell you what's going to be a social suicide, my friend, is when your dates don't turn up. We've got two spare tickets, and me and dad are there at your semi four more. Dang, I need dress, hut white.
Speaker 2: Can you have a dress out just to be like, just to really fuck with them.
Speaker 1: Put a dress out.
Speaker 2: Hang it up, put your shoes underneath it. The earrings are just close by, like it's
Speaker 1: Just and then when the makeup artist comes over, I'll get mine, dumb, Yes, Yes,