Speaker 1: Yes, it's Lucky dep Time you Lucky Ducks. Your is a weird s They're gonna get a treat.
Speaker 2: It's Malamanti Hello, Hello, I got so excited by that, Angels. Am I ever going to see your face again? Episode?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: You know I love the story behind the song. So today I'm bringing you another one, another one, another one that's really really, really sad and tragic.
Speaker 1: That's not like you to do that.
Speaker 2: I know tragic. Well, it's almost like I think that is the inspiration well behind it is the best songs.
Speaker 1: I can always tell when a musician's in a good place because their music's pretty lousy, like they need to draw on tragedy and heartache to stay use gold Well.
Speaker 2: Tell me if you remember this song of farmer slagging but where were They Going? The Way? By Fastball. That song came out in nineteen ninety eight and it stayed at number one for seven weeks.
Speaker 1: Did I know the song so well and didn't know its name? Didn't know who the people singing it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know why. I think I knew it was called the Way, but if you'd asked me who sang it, I didn't know either.
Speaker 1: Oh what are they called fastball?
Speaker 2: Fastball? It was just one of those songs that I won't remember on the radio. Yeah, you know. Anyway, that song was written in nineteen ninety seven and the lead singer was inspired to write it because he lived in this same area where this thing was playing out in June of nineteen ninety seven, where this elderly couple from Texas went missing. Right now, this is how the story goes. There's this couple called Leila and Raymond Howard. Raymond was eighty eight, Leila was eighty three. He had just recovered from some pretty heavy brain surgery and she was showing early signs of not early signs, but signs of Alzheimer's. She was forgetting stuff. She was like it was becoming an issue, but she still insisted on driving and doing that stuff, and the kids didn't want to take away her independence and all that. So on the twenty ninth of June, Leela, the mum had said to one of her sons that they were going to this music festival. It was called the Pioneer Day Festival that they used to go to every year, and it was like fifteen minutes from their house, and the son's like I'll take you, and she's like, don't be stupid, it's fine, it's only fifteen minutes away. And he thought, let them go. So they went and every year they usually get home at around three am pm. Rageous, yeah, but anyway, but when it got to five and they still weren't home, the family are like, fuck, this is weird. Then it gets to eight and they're like, okay. They call the police. They called the media. Whatever, our parents are missing. They explained the whole thing. So there's this hunt to find them, and it's like they've just disappeared off the face of the earth. So Tony Sculzo is the name of the lead singer of Fastball. He's watching this. He's looking through the newspaper, he's following the story, and he's cottoned onto this idea that Leela and Raymond had gotten in their car and they're sort of like trying to relive their youth. They're just driving to this festival and they're just like, fucking, let's just go to town and do whatever. Let's just disappear. So back to the actual fucking reality of this. There were sightings of the couple. There was a cop listen to this how fucking wrong this is. There was a cop who pulled them over at one point because Leela was driving without her head lights on. It was nighttime, and he asked her where she was going and she said, oh, Texas and he said, you're going in the wrong direction, and he's giving her directions. You've got to go back the other way because by this point, I think they were like three hundred kilometers from Texas. And he's like, you got to turn around and go back the other way. And he said where exactly do you live? And she said I don't know. Oh, and then he just said okay, take care bye, and that was it. Okay. So then on the thirteenth day of the search, as always happens in these stories, two boys are walking through like a forested sort of area where there's this creek and they smell this smell in the air. So they go home and they tell their parents. The parents contact the police. The police do a search, so they find the car at the bottom of this cliff, like bottom of an eight meter cliff, because it had happened at night from what they could assume, and they say she must have gotten either so disorientated or she didn't see the edge of the cliff, because there's no skid marks or anything to indicate that, you know, she's trying to stop, so they went right off the edge. This is the saddest part to me. Raymond's body was still in the car, buckled in Leela. She had obviously survived the crash. She'd put the car in par turned off the headlights. His passenger side door was open, so she obviously opened it to help him out or something. But then they found her. She died about six meters away in this little clearing area, but she had her keys and her purse in her hand, like she was going somewhere I know.
Speaker 1: So he's like, where were you going?
Speaker 2: Without even yes, yes, And they were five hundred and fifty kilometers away from where they should have been. Fuck, isn't that so sad? Fun?
Speaker 1: Wow, Molly Meldrum in the house.
Speaker 2: No, that was Jeff Finick. That's what you do.
Speaker 1: Finish off with those lovees. Oh my god, you're why did you get Jeff Finick? And Molly Maldrim comfumed.
Speaker 2: Molly Maldram used to say, oh shit, yeah, before we go, we've got to find this. Molly Meldram is awful. Molly still alive, Yeah he is. Look, I don't think he's doing great.
Speaker 1: Terribly, That's why I didn't know if he was alive or not.
Speaker 2: Do yourself favor, Do yourself favor. Get the album, listen to it. Yeah, support Ossie bands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what was that on? Hey, Hey Saturday, mister mister Summers.
Speaker 2: Do yourself a favor. Molly's melodrama? Remember, yes, I do.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, thank you for listening and we'll chat to you really soon.
Speaker 2: They love you.
Speaker 1: Snick out