Speaker 1: Lately, Generalman, welcome to the late.
Speaker 2: Pays Well, good evening and thanks for your company. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond. Have you ever thrown something into the trash by accident? Will introduce you to a Welshman a little later who did just that and is offered to buy the entire city tip in order to search for his lost treasure. Plus, when we get to the papers, a convicted terrorist to threaten to blow up the MCG has managed to escape strict supervision orders. It's quite an incredible story in tomorrow's Herald Son And in another breaking story tomorrow, the Albenezy government says it will buy Rex Airlines if that's the only way to keep them flying. All of that when we look at what's making news tomorrow, But first, Queenslanders will continue to pay just fifty cents for public transport after the LNP government decided to make permanent the former government's six month trial the cheap fares offered by former Premier Stephen Miles as a way of buying votes just before the last election and of addressing cost of living and hopefully removing some cars from the roads and it worked well, not the buying votes part. No amount of bribery could convince Queenslanders to give Giggles another go, But in terms of getting people to use public transport, it seems to have been an overwhelming success. The Transport Department released figures showing that the use of public transport in Queensland had increased by eighteen point three percent during that six month trial compared to the same six month period in twenty twenty three. As you can see on the screen, light rail usage increased by twenty seven and a half percent, rail eighteen point six percent, ferry usage increased by forty two point eight percent, and buses were up fifteen point eight percent. So the LNP announced today fifty cent fares would remain, but they would cost taxpayers one point five billion dollars over next four years. Good decision or bad decision, Caleb, I'm looking forward to fifty cent coffees and fifty cent hamburgers.
Speaker 1: Well, if only the government provided those services then maybe they would be able to reduce the cost of them to fifty cents. But I think it's an eminently sensible thing to do that. The evidence has shown that it works. If that means you've had such an increase, you know, twenty percent more people getting on the bus. Well, that's twenty percent fewer cars on the road because of course, you know a bus, if you can get sixty people in it, that's potentially minimum thirty cars, maximum sixty on the road. I mean, if you can eliminate all of that every single day, that's fantastic, especially for those of us who drive around in cars, because it means I can go to work faster. So yep, b I think it's great. I mean, Townsville was forty nine point twenty nine percent increase in public transport use. And it was interesting that the numbers showed that regionally, it really increased the use of public transport because I suppose if you live in a regional area, probably more likely to think, oh, well, get in my car, because a lot of the things that you would do normally require you to use a car. And of course, if you've got to go to town, for instance, you're going to get in the car, so you get into a habit of using a car. But Townsville forty two point twenty nine percent, Gimpy forty nine percent, Mackay forty percent, Sunshine Coast thirty seven percent, Gold Coast twenty one percent, Logan twenty one percent, And the cost of running public transport that comes from fares is minimal. There was a report, secret report, It was only leaked to the media. That's any reason we.
Speaker 2: Know about it.
Speaker 1: But the New South Wales government did an evaluation of what its public transport system costs in twenty twenty two and they found that only ten percent of the costs were covered by fares and other revenue. So what we are paying when we tap an open card in New South Wales or a mikey in Queensland, or the trans cardgory it's called up in not transgender, but it's called trans dear, I can't remember, I've got one at home somewhere. But when you tap the card, what you're paying to use the bus or the train is actually a very small amount of what it costs the government to run that service. So if we're already happy as tax payers to subsidize the running of public transport by ninety percent, what's wrong with making it, you know, one hundred percent or ninety five percent with a fifty cent fare If it means people actually use the.
Speaker 2: So it's going to say this, they've still gotspect this. Why would you be inspecting for tickets? Like if someone pays fifty cents, doesn't employed? Right, that's about the union, says many people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: They probably struck that deal before Giggles even put.
Speaker 3: This legislation in place, to be like, yes.
Speaker 4: We're trying to win votes, but also no one's going to lose their job as a result. But what you have here is essentially what a lot of government policies do.
Speaker 3: Of course, it's not cheaper.
Speaker 4: The people commuting every day are only paying fifty cents yay for them, but the taxpayer is picking up the tab hence this one point five billion dollar price tag on this.
Speaker 3: So essentially it means.
Speaker 4: That the taxpayers of Queensland who don't use these facilities, who aren't commuting to work every day, who aren't using public transport, are now paying far more than their share.
Speaker 1: But the public. But the users, the people of Queensland who don't use the public transport also reap the benefit of the fewer cars on the road because they're driving right. So indirectly you're paying extra, sure, but you're actually getting a benefit out of it. Yourself.
Speaker 4: No, really, you're paying extra for the public transport that you're not using while putting out for Rego car insurance. The petrol you're paying for only most cars inner city nowadays is extremely expensive exercise. Absolutely everybody watching is nodding your head right now, aren't you. And so I don't think I don't think that that's fair at all as.
Speaker 3: A commuter if you choose.
Speaker 4: And to say that, oh well, the murderists are coming out on top because then there's less people on the roads. But the people then opting for their fifty cent fare and no longer happening to pay for the petrol, potentially getting rid of their car all together, not happening to pay the red Joe, not happening to pay the insurance. All the savings are on them. And again the motorist is not coming out on top at all.
Speaker 2: And I'm not sure it reduces traffic congestion because they put bus lanes everywhere that you're not allowed.
Speaker 3: To cycling lane.
Speaker 2: Argument for regional Queensland, and Queensland is a vast state and people, especially in the north would argue that they are subsidizing people in the southeast who are far more prevalent users of public transport now everything.
Speaker 1: I mean, they reckon they should be another state.
Speaker 2: They should be, having lived there. They should be because they provide all the natural resources that fund everything to the southeast corner. But you mentioned in Wa.
Speaker 3: Trust me, well, like we.
Speaker 4: If it work for the money, you flogs get off our gst. The two mighty mining states are never given enough credit.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned towns All right, So public transport there is increased by what nine? This is one of those things where okay, like if what if you've got two people using it and now you've got four, it's increased by what fifty?
Speaker 3: Amazing?
Speaker 2: Like look at that, right, So I would like to.
Speaker 1: Make sure that he's increased by one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I would like to know the raw numbers, right, so to say it's increased by forty percent. I lived in Townsill ten years. I don't know anyone who ever took the bus. So I reckon the increase of usage would be marginal. If they want to be fair, provide fifty cent public transport fees in the southeast and just take off some fuel excise in the north. Hey, well, the problem is drive vast distance.
Speaker 1: The only problem is. I thoroughly agree with that. The only problem is that the fuel excise is levied by the federal government, not in Queensland.
Speaker 2: What hangover, Sorry, don't don't Queensland have a tax on fuel? I I'm all the.
Speaker 1: Questions owned on top of the federal fine leaders by Hang on a minute, we'll check it during the pow That really isn't in just I'm pretty now you've blown min much so the Queensland government adds another tax on top of fuel. Is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: You're making me nervous now that maybe I'm not right about this. We'll let the check.
Speaker 3: Your let us know.
Speaker 1: I hope you're not right about that, because that is that is an absolute describe. I mean right, my money.
Speaker 4: He's actually there, you have it. If we're placing bets, my money is on mac. But we will get back to you after the ad break to the UK now where an extraordinary edict from the British government, the deep state of the British government, has come to light.
Speaker 3: They handed in order to Apple.
Speaker 4: Telling the tech giant that the British government wanted a back door to all of the storage on the cloud, every single user, even all their encrypted stuff, everything stored on the cloud, not just in the UK by people living in the UK, but worldwide. The government says, we have the right to have access to this, thanks very much. You're going to give us a backdoor in order to enable us to access any body's data at any.
Speaker 3: Given time for any reason.
Speaker 4: Now in the past, how this works is that tech giants do help out the police or whoever's investigating, say an alleged criminal, they need data off that person's phone. The tech giants help them out. That's all written into law, that's all ticked up on that's all hunky dory. This, however, would be an absolutely unprecedented violation of privacy rights and civil liberties.
Speaker 3: But the UK government absolutely do not care.
Speaker 4: They say they have the power to do this. They say that Apple has to bow the knee. So far, Apple is holding out. They're saying, look, maybe we'll just have to stop offering encrypted.
Speaker 3: Services to UK users.
Speaker 4: But then again, that won't work because the UK government is talking about worldwide.
Speaker 3: Users, not just British Apple users.
Speaker 4: This is literally unthinkable what they are proposing here. And Apple is a company that has long since prided itself on privacy. Whether we can trust them or artists another discussion for another day.
Speaker 3: But this is something that.
Speaker 4: They market themselves on your privacy. We've got you covered, we would never snitch on you type thing. And here they have a government saying, look, under our act, you have to make a backdoor for us. You have to break your promise to millions billions of users worldwide because we say so.
Speaker 1: And it's not just a targeted thing like you put out. This is like just we need access to everything. Why do you need access to everything? Right? Indeed, people have continually been willing to give up small amounts of freedom if they think it makes them safer, for instance, you know, going through airports, or allowing certain bits of data to be accessed by government if it's for anti terrorism measures, etc. People have actually been willing to hand small amounts of freedom over to secure their own safety. I would argue that you know, you hand a little bit over, and then you had a little bit over, and then you hand a little bit over until you've handed all of it over. That's eventually where it ends up. But people will swallow it. If you say we need access to terrorists data, and we'll go to a court and get an order that we then go and get that data. Most people that say, okay, whatever, what the UK government is talking about is access to absolutely everything, and that might start out with oh, well, we want it to look at terrorist data, and then it'll turn into we want to look at data of people who are saying things we don't like about the government. I mean, how can you possibly this is the first time any Western government has asked for or actually asked for is probably a bit light demanded this kind of power to access whatever data it wants. And the worst part of it is that under the law in the UK, it's illegal for Apple to even talk about the fact that the government has asked them for exactly.
Speaker 4: Order is actually a month old, but we're only just hearing about it now because thank goodness, someone's leaked it to the media.
Speaker 2: And Apple can appeal the decision, but they appeal it to a secretive tribunal, so the result and the argument never becomes public, and during the appeal, Apple have to comply with the order as it exists. What's an old expression, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. This is a classic case of that, I don't think well, a well intentioned argument that in order to catch terrorists and head off organized crime, perhaps we should have these these capabilities for government that.
Speaker 3: Already works.
Speaker 4: Yes, if it's everyday people, Hell no, what right do you have to people's think about it. What's not on your phone, your private conversations, your addresses, your bank details. There is nothing about your life that I wouldn't know if I had access to everything on your phone, your contacts. So you're talking to how regularly there is literally I will be aware of the intimate details of your life. And I am the state I don't have your best interest at heart. And keep in mind it was just a few weeks ago that Keir Starmer stared down Barrel and told us that the UK aimed to be the shining light of the world in terms of AI. They're building a frightfully large server and the fact that you could have access to everybody's data in.
Speaker 3: The world and be touting.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sure they're probably leads ahead of already, because no government gives is honest about how far ahead they are in terms of their AI capabilities.
Speaker 3: It's an arms race.
Speaker 4: So why on earth would you openly, honestly advertised that those two things together you can rule the world.
Speaker 1: Gave over yep, and we've seen how things are going in the UK. I mean the coppers are running around arresting people for posting jokes on face. I mean the next thing the government will be going through all of your photos to see whether you've downloaded too many jokes or not, and then arresting you on the basis of that. And I know that sounds like a joke, but quite possibly it isn't. I might be arrested actually by the UK government if they go through my phone and noticed that I talked about this on at to night. They haven't sack while we're in the UK. There is no greater example of how how sorry our sovereign borders have been eroded in the West, Australia, the UK, the US, et cetera than this. An Albanian bloke who moved to the UK into the UK illegally when he was a child a teenager, got there, gave the authorities a fake name, said he came from Yugoslavia, which he didn't. He came from albat He got into the country under false pretenses. Then fast forward a few years twenty twenty one, he's picked up by the cops with three hundred thousand pounds of proceeds of crime. Off to jail, you go. Since he's been released from jail, they've tried to get rid of his citizenship and deport him back to Albania, which seems entirely fair. He entered the country under false pretenses, he gained citizenship under false pretenses, and then he turns out, on top of all of that, to be involved in criminal gang activity with three hundred thousand pound on his person. Off you go, buddy. Except for the fact that he has a young son, a ten year old, and his son is fond of chicken nuggets, and he's not fond of chicken nuggets in any country other than the UK. No, I am not joking. This bloke has gone to an immigration tribunal in the UK and argued that he should not be deported because his son has a few troubles. Now, according to the court documents, his son has food sensitivity, sensory issues and difficulties communicating emotions. He has no diagnosis of anything, but his school is currently helping him out. The only thing that he is mentioned in the documents is that he has an aversion quote unquote to the type of chicken nuggets that are available abroad, and on that basis, this tribunal has said it would be against the human rights to send them back to Albania. Have you ever heard anything so absurd? This is the UK Border Security Minister, Dame Angela Eagle, talking to LBC about this case his court with two hundred and fifty thousand pounds worth proceeds of crime on his body, on his person rather and then when he's trying to port him it's because his child doesn't like oversea his chicken nuggets. This is the start to think of it, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Well, this is why we've appealed it, and the court processes aren't over yet. When we appeal things they often get overturned in higher christ.
Speaker 2: If this isn't overturned, what does that say about.
Speaker 5: Let's not anticipate what the courts are going to do.
Speaker 1: Do you think it breaches his human rights with his son's chicken nuggets?
Speaker 3: Well, look, I.
Speaker 5: Mean my opinions, since I'm not a judge, are interesting to you and me fairly astonished. I'm fairly astonished.
Speaker 1: Just that is The Border Security Minister asked a really simple question, do you think it breaches someone's human rights to send a criminal back to the country whence they came because their son doesn't like the chicken nuggets over there. And she couldn't give a straight answer. You're a minister of the crown and you can't just straight out say no, it's not actually a breach of human rights to send someone back to their own country because they don't like the chicken nuggets over there. For heaven's sake, but this just proves how bad the situation is in Western countries, particularly the UK. A tribuneal would even think that this was a legitimate argument to keep a criminal in your own country.
Speaker 2: It might prove how bad chicken nuggets in Albania actually are. Kleb. It could be a breach of human rights that bad. If only there was someone in the UK is in a position of power, you know, who had experience as a lawyer, maybe in human rights, and could now brain good body kissed Arma. What did he used to do he used to have in these sorts of issues, didn't he? I mean, is there any one that hyriarage and the Reform Party is now leading in the polls when you've got rubbish like this in the UK a second earlier tonight. It's difficult to believe that Britain actually won two World Wars when they're carrying on this sort of rubbish and looking.
Speaker 3: At the country today, does it look like a country?
Speaker 2: Well maybe not.
Speaker 4: I s is turning in his grave in a good way, being like I told you, flogged.
Speaker 2: So here's the irony. Though he enters the UK illegally, then he lies on his asylum application, then he commits and is convicted of major crimes for which he's in prison for two years. Then when he's deported, he suddenly appeals to human rights. I mean, what happens on chicken nuggets about the human rights of all the people who've been abused. While he's entering illegally, he's lying, he's ripping people off financially, and this is where the system has to be reformed. We have the same problems right across the Western world, where there's this desire to be so empathetic with everybody's problems that we make mugs of ourselves bending over backwards for people who shouldn't be here in the first place, and then use our charity to against us so they can basically just continue abusing the system. It's got to be reformed. You should be allowed to appeal, and if you lose that appeal, that's it. You're gone.
Speaker 4: But it's not a coincidence that this is the same across the West. I mean, we've talked about it here in Australia. You can come here commit grave crimes.
Speaker 3: You're not a citizen.
Speaker 4: We won't deport you for absolutely no reason whatsoever. It's only in Western countries that we've brought into this ridiculous idea that you can come here, tick a few boxes and we hand you a piece of paper saying, oh you're.
Speaker 3: Australian, Now you're Canadian, Now you're American, now you're British.
Speaker 4: Now congratulations. Do you think if I moved to India stay there for twenty years, blood, sweat and tears, ran businesses there, whatever, do you think considered Indian or Africa? Would I be considered African? Would anyone call me African? Absolutely not. It's only in Western countries that we have been told because you have prospered so well by virtue of your cultures, your values, your moral standing, and the fact that we were born out of the cradle of Christianity, yes, thank you very much. Because of all that, now you guys have to allow yourself to be overrun by other countries, other cultures, et cetera, and so on because they're not doing so well. So you just have to say yes to it because you're so bound toful and wonderful.
Speaker 3: And now if you disagree with.
Speaker 4: It in any way, well you're just being selfish and horrible and racist.
Speaker 2: Exactly before we move on, James Ashby, One Nation Chief of Staff is watching the late debate tonight and he has clarified for us there is no fuel excise charged by the Queensland government. But the Queensland government did provide an eight cent rebate the excise and then the Queensland Labor government removed that rebate. So that's where I was confused. But if they want to help North Queenslanders, give fifty cent public transport fees in the southeast and reapply that rebate that they removed on the fuel excise in North Queensland, everybody's happy.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what could happen? And the Morrison government gave a twenty cent rebate on the fuel excise. They cut it by twenty cents, right, and then Albanezi came to government and immediately ended that. So maybe they could just do it across the board. That'd be nice, a great thing.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the US now. Donald Trump was busy signing a very significant executive order which I think will make the whole world happy. We'll get to that in a moment, but first I want to show you what he had to say on this situation in Gaza. We all watched horrified on Saturday as three more hostages were released, looking absolutely sickly. They looked like skeletons, to be honest, having spent fifteen months in captivity in tunnels in Gaza, and then, of course before they made it back to their families, they were paraded by their captors. They were given gift bags and certificates, and the whole thing was absolutely horrendous. And Donald Trump had this to say on what should happen here on in have listen.
Speaker 6: If all of the hostages aren't returned by Saturday at twelve o'clock, I think it's an appropriate time. I would say cancel, and all bets are off and let hell break out. I'd say they ought to be returned by twelve o'clock on Saturday, and if there not returned all of them, not in drips and drabs, not two and one and three and four and two Saturday at twelve o'clock, and after that, I would say all hell is going to break out.
Speaker 2: Now. Of course, it's a decision for Israel whether they are going to maintain the agreement or whether they're just going to say we agree, give us all seventy three remaining hostages back this Saturday, or all bets are off. But finally someone says that this should never have been allowed to get to a stage where we've got hostages being released in dribs and drabs, paraded in some sort of sick pantomime of the seventy three hostages still being held. Thirty four are confirmed dead, so Hamas are holding corpses as hostage and as leverage. This should have been dealt with on October the eighth, the day after the High World should have said release them or there will be hell to pay. It's dragged out for fifteen months. Trump's finally said enough, which I think most sensible people would agree.
Speaker 1: What was only really by Trump saying there would be hell to pay if there wasn't an agreement that we even got to this place in the first place, right, And Hamas has been taking the piece with the release of these hostages in the form that they've been coming in our gift certificate. I mean, please as if they're leaving their thanking their captors for the time they've spent there. That is an absolute joke. And what triggered all of this was Hamas accusing Israel of breaking the terms of the ceasefire. So they said, well, we're not going to release the hostages that are due to be released this weekend. Israel has then said, well, we have to consider our options and what we can possibly do. Incomes Trump and says, well, if you don't release them by this weekend, they'll be hell to pay. And believe it or not, a few hours after that, Hamas came back out and said, oh, will actually our threat not to release the hostages quote unquote serves as a warning to Israel we want them to adhere to the terms of the Sea SPA. So all of this really is various countries testing each other to see exactly how far they will go. And the ultimate outcome of that is that Hamas has a lot more to lose than Israel does when it comes to the breaking of this sea SPI. So I suspect it will all continue on as it has, because the last thing they really want is to provoke Israel to the point that they do actually go back in there and go hammer and tongs, because there will be no Gaza at all left after that, and that's the worst thing that's happened for hald No garz are left now.
Speaker 3: But it is a lot of huff and puff.
Speaker 4: Trump is playing his part simply saying, hey, hey, we're in this boots and all. So you guys, he did this prior to his inauguration. You guys would remember, like, if you guys don't get your fill in the blank sorted by January twenty, by god, you're going to be sorry. So last time we saw some motion on this when he put his foot down. Let's see what happens now before Saturday twelve pm. I think we can all get behind from this Trump administration. Is his return to plastic straws. You may remember in his twenty and nineteen run he was selling plastic straws in violation of the current policies in the USA. You would know that these are also outlawed here in every state of Australia. Whenever I go anywhere and someone's got a cheeky straw that they're serving with, I don't even bring it to their attention. I don't want them to know it's illegal. Everyone keep your plastics straws. So here he is signing an executive order heralding the return of the plastic straw.
Speaker 6: So we're going back to plastic straws. These things don't work. I've had him many times, and on occasion they break, they explode if something's hot. They don't last very long, like a matter of minutes, sometimes a matter of seconds. It's a ridiculous situation. So we're going back to plastic straws.
Speaker 3: I think it's okay.
Speaker 6: And I don't think that plastics going to affect a shark very much. As they're eating. As they're munching their way through the ocean, he is thinking of.
Speaker 3: The ocean life, ladies and gentlemen. He has not forgotten about that. What a considerate president. I just love this.
Speaker 4: This is just practical sense. It has changed no one's life having paper straws. They are utterly inept. Everybody absolutely hates them and there's actually a lot of articles written about how unhealthy it is because obviously you're just drinking up this dissolving thing in whatever your beverage is.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you didn't mention, Liz. Studies are found fore mechanical microplastics in paper straws, So there you go. Plastics actually better if you I can't believe you fin off on you, j You know what. The other thing, of course, is the amount of plastic straw compared to other plastics exacts, is so minimal that to make this the hill that you want to die on in terms of the environment is simply ridiculously. It all comes back, sorry, Cut up to a twenty to fifteen video released by a German marine biologist who filmed herself taking a straw out of the nostril turtle and that went viral and it was because of that that then this became the big issue, but blown out of all proportion to other forms of pollution.
Speaker 1: And it lulls us into a full sense of security that we are actually saving the planet because oh we got rid of the straws, right, and there's all the other stuff that we just forget about. Because I did my bit with the straws. But I think of all the things Trump has done so far and will do in his time as president, this one will actually cut through, probably more than anything else, because it is like a day to day thing and it's just quility of life exactly, and it's so simple, but it affects people in America every single day. We know how much they love their takeaway drink, Starbucks and all this sort of stuff like this is the stuff that will actually make a difference in people's lives. And as I said the other day on the Sunday Showdown eight pm Sunday, straight after Denika and James seven pm Sundays, this is the greatest thing he has done in his presidency so far, and it will be the greatest thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just can't wait this till tomorrow for a journalist to ask anthe Albanezi, what will your policy be on paper? I want to see what Elbow says.
Speaker 4: Come on, Alvo, if you'll want to up your vote count, dun't beat him to it.
Speaker 3: Come on, buddy. Staying in the.
Speaker 4: States, you've all heard this saga of us aid and the fact that Trump administration has frozen all outgoing payments, So there's a lot of people who were receiving a lot of shiggy who are really really upset because their.
Speaker 3: Cash cow has frozen up.
Speaker 4: Well, one of the sectors that has been rocked to the core by this is journalism. Last week we told you how Politico, one of the American which we also discussed, had been bought out by Germans, so the American taxpayer were paying them to pump propaganda into their own country. Politico had received twenty seven million dollars from USAID during the duration of the Biden administration, So of course there are a very very very friendly media organization during those four years, they just loved the Widen government. Well, we've now found out that in over thirty countries, USAID has been funding these independent journalists, thousands of them. And since I've already told you USAID serves as a front to the CIA. It's the worst kept secret in the history of mannedkind, which is why they have a budget twice the size of the CIA and the State Department combined. These guys do a lot of dodgy dealings, and here we found out that they are controlling or having a very large say, being able to plan all sorts of propaganda in thirty countries throughout the world. Here's a Pharmaci agent CIA agent back in nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 3: They've been doing this for a very long time, my friends.
Speaker 4: His name is John Stockwell, and he's going to explain to you exactly how this works.
Speaker 7: My war, the Angola War that I helped to manage, one third of my staff was propaganda. Ironically, it's called covert action inside the CIA. Outside that means the violent part. We would take stories which we would write and put them in the Zambia Times and then pull them out and send them to our journalist on our payroll in Europe. We pumped just dozens of stories about Cuban atrocities, Cuban rapists. In one case, we had the Cuban rapists caught and tried by the Ovimbundu maidens who had been their victims. And then we ran photographs and made almost every newspaper in the country of the Cubans being executed by the Ovimbundu women who supposedly had been their victims, which it was pure raw false propaganda to create an illusion of communists, you know, eating babies for breakfast and that's sort of totally false propaganda.
Speaker 3: Nothing is as it seems.
Speaker 4: My friend John Stockwell also explained to people how that were those stories, saying the Zambia Times in other places would then of course be picked up by say the New York Times and Reuters, and then there it was right into the vein of mainstream media all across the West, convincing them of something that was completely.
Speaker 3: And utterly made up. This is how propaganda works.
Speaker 4: And if you think it's stopped now in modern day day the Western world and elsewhere, you can think again.
Speaker 3: This is Taylor's old as time. I love these stories that highlight it.
Speaker 4: Interestingly, USAID had been funding nine out of ten news outlets in Ukraine. What does that tell you in twenty twenty three the agency and they've taken this fat sheet down off their website, but someone.
Speaker 3: Caught it and here it is.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty three, USAID had funded training and support for six two hundred journalists, assisted seven hundred and seven non state news outlets, and supported two hundred and seventy nine media sector civil society organizations. So it makes you wonder just how much of the stories you and I read on a day to day basis.
Speaker 3: I'm aware of it now you are too. How much of it is true?
Speaker 4: How much of it is even based on a sceric of truth regarding stories when we're helpless, we're sitting at home, we're reading things about like there were back in the eighties about Cuba, thinking well, this is gospel truth.
Speaker 3: I haven't been to Cuba.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I'm trusting what the media is telling me is acting a lot.
Speaker 2: I think the answer to how much of it is true? If you're reading Politico, one hundred percent of it is not true.
Speaker 1: We all know that.
Speaker 2: Same with the New York Times. I think you're going to get propaganda always, and I hope our governments always use propaganda in a bid to head off our enemies, because we do have a few. The question is whether they're you're.
Speaker 3: Lying to you.
Speaker 4: They're not heading off the enemy. They're lying to you to justify their actions, i e.
Speaker 3: In Tuba. So just I hope my government lies to me always.
Speaker 2: Let me finish what I was going to say. I was going to say, the question is whether that propaganda is being used in the interests of the people the government is to represent or not. That's the clarification, it's not. Well, what I'm saying is this is to justify has specified that that's why they're going through.
Speaker 3: Rubio is a snake man.
Speaker 2: So Marco Rubio has said on behalf of Donald Trump, who's the president of the United States. They are going through every must all good. They're going through every line of US AID to find out is it being used in the national interest. Where it is, it will continue. Where it's not, it will not. Every nation uses propaganda. The question is whether it's serving the national interest and the people that it's meant to represent.
Speaker 1: And this is this is the thing, this is the lies.
Speaker 3: If I am lying.
Speaker 4: Americans, but none of the of course I would love the Americans had interests, but in doing what they were doing in Tuba, they had to get the blessing of the people.
Speaker 1: So just not on Cuba anything. But this is not in Cuba anymore. Which we're talking about about London.
Speaker 3: Changed.
Speaker 4: Now you need to read the Church Committee trends talking.
Speaker 1: About we're talking about funding for twenty twenty three. Now there's two issues here. As someone who has been a journalist since he started working walked into a newsroom at the age of seventeen. I have an issue with media that is not free and fair because if you are receiving funding from a government organization, then of course you feel like you have some sort of obligation to them. But this is the discussion we always have about the ABC and why they're so lefty. I mean, they get all their money from the government, right, But we also have to acknowledge that every government in the world, always and forever will participate in spreading propaganda. And the problem is that you can't just let every other country spread propaganda around and then go, Okay, well we're not going to do it because we're all high and mighty, because you just let their propaganda fill the void that you create by not using your own. So, whether you like it or not, you do actually have to participate in that suss.
Speaker 3: To their own people.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, every government is, every government is, but if you don't do it.
Speaker 4: About when we're talking about the CIA front buying up media, and that was just one testimonial from that form of CIA agent. There's video after video after video of whistleblowers.
Speaker 3: Throughout the decades saying this is what they do.
Speaker 4: We're tapped on the shoulder, we're given a story I didn't even write, but because I'm a well known author, I put my name to it. I get a payday, and they do me favors. We are talking about a Western power using propaganda on.
Speaker 2: Their own people, paganda the Germans to.
Speaker 4: The Western imperialism, as does every other forest as they crush every other country around them, like Cuba, perfect example, Congo, perfect example.
Speaker 3: Siria, Libya.
Speaker 4: I could go on Iraq, all there's weapons of massive lying to the American people saying that there's West weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
Speaker 2: We've got to go with there.
Speaker 1: We've got to do this.
Speaker 3: You think that was good.
Speaker 2: I didn't say lying to your.
Speaker 3: Own that's a perfect example.
Speaker 2: And you let me if you ask me a question, then you cut me off halfway.
Speaker 3: You've already answered it.
Speaker 4: You think it's fine as long as they think it's furthering the nation's interest.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: You've heard what. I think. We're going to go to a break. When we come back, Well, look at what's making news tomorrow. It's coming up at just a moment. Welcome back. Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. We'll start with a Herald's son, that's got an interesting story about a guy who plotted to blow up the MCG.
Speaker 1: Galib Oh, look, he could just talk about the fact he likes chicken nuggets and he might get an even cushy around this blow Terror's bullet chat is the headline the terrorists who plotted to blow up the MCG has escaped strict to supervision conditions to spart meeting a man jailed over a shootout with counter terrorism police where they discussed infidels and bullets. I mean, for goodness sake, Abdul Nasser been bricker. You probably remember we were talking about this a couple of years ago when he was released in December twenty twenty three. Then he goes and talks to a bloke who had a literal shootout with counter terrorism police and he still doesn't get strict to supervision or supervision orders. Sorry, we are mad, We are mad.
Speaker 2: No calep. He's receiving the court heard therapeutic tree off. So it's all gonna be okay. It's all the massag in his ideology away.
Speaker 1: Is that it become in the form of Albanian chicken nuggetings.
Speaker 4: I was just about to say, next thing, he's gonna have us.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's like lude.
Speaker 4: The food in jail are terrible, so con't possibly.
Speaker 2: It's the height of arrogance in the West to think that you can have people who are steeped in a religious ideology that they truly believe, and you can sit down with them, put them on a couch, give them a warm drink of milo, and talk with them gently and see them change their minds and will alla safe.
Speaker 3: It's so insulting and infantilizing.
Speaker 4: I am a Christian. You can sit me down on couches with spikes on him. In fact, throughout history you've thrown us to lion. Still didn't work. The reas location program doesn't hit home. If someone has a radical religious ideology or just normal religious ideology, you can't talk them out of it.
Speaker 3: Can we just give up on that? Thank you? Western countries around the world to the front page.
Speaker 4: Of the odds Now alban Easy pledges to buy failed airline if no one else does. Anthony Albanisi says the government would acquire fouled airline Rex in the absence of any buyers to ensure crucial regional aviation services continue beyond June.
Speaker 3: Why didn't you say this earlier? Mate?
Speaker 4: The twenty three year old airline was placed into administration in July with depths of more than five hundred million, and its jet operations to major cities were immediately scrapped.
Speaker 3: Now, we talked.
Speaker 4: About it at length back in July that the government should announce this. So here we are over six months later and they've decided to finally make a move. Because of course REX does supply certain services that nowhere no other airline in Australia does, including really really important flights out in regional areas that would otherwise be completely unserviced.
Speaker 3: So better late than never, thank you. But geez, why wouldn't you just make this announcement in jo line.
Speaker 1: We shouldn't even have to be in a position where the government has to consider buying res. The only reason we are in this position, the government having to buy an airline to keep it operating is because the government's regulation of the airline industry led REX to go into so much debt and go bust because they tried to break into the domestic capital city market and when they did so, they were only allowed to have flights at either end of the day, when people don't want to fly. They gave it a go in a market that is regulated by the federal government, where the federal government, sorry, did not give them a fair shot at being a third player along with Quantus and Virgin That's why they went down the toilet, and now the federal government has to pay to keep it alive. If you'd let them have some more slots when people actually fly, they might be a profitable operation.
Speaker 2: All true, and far be it from me to defend government regulation. But the Rex management knew that when they decided to try and break into the capital city routes, and they were a profitable airline until they made that move. They made that move knowing full well that it was going to be a regulatory nightmare, and that's when things started going bad. So they have to accept responsibility for that.
Speaker 1: That's not all on government, maybe, sure, but they gave it a go, and what they proved is that it's impossible because the government won't let you, and they.
Speaker 2: Were have anefitable regional airline. If they just stayed at that point, well, I know, but then we.
Speaker 1: All sit around forever not having a third player because no one is able to give it a go. No one wants to give it a go because the government won't let them. And we are the ones who pay for the extra cost for a virgin or quaters flight, and now we paid it by res I think well for.
Speaker 4: The second slash on the front of the ears, easy lending for young votes, Charmers tells banks to loosen rules help first home buyers get into the market. Jim Chalmers has instructed financial regulators to soften home lending rules for millions of Australians with university debts and developers who can't guarantee quote one hundred percent pre sol departments end quote in a pre election move to help achieve Labour's one point two million new homes target, and wo younger voters look between this and wiping people's students' debts. Mate, I might vote Labor if they keep up these promises. I'm like, ah, I could get rid of my hets, I can get a jape our house.
Speaker 3: I'm joking that will never happen. I bleed blue.
Speaker 4: But I imagine that there are quite a few younger voters if they're paying attention.
Speaker 3: Most of them aren't ever who would be swayed by something like this.
Speaker 4: This has got to be a critical issue going into the next election, and I don't think i've heard the Libs talk enough about it.
Speaker 2: Well, it'll help younger people get a bigger loan, it won't help their repayments of that loan. That's the other issue they'll have to consider. But I mean, this housing crisis has been around for a little while now, and the government's been in power for a little while now, and it's only at the eleventh hour they've come up with this idea right before an election, which is of course, and.
Speaker 1: Let's be clear, we had a banking Royal Commission which found that banks were lending money with great alacrity to people, which then meant when they couldn't pay it back, they defaulted and then they were stuffed forever. Basically, so the Royal Commission came make and said we should be stricter on lending. And the government, which of course presided over massive inflation, now says that the answer to the housing crisis is to put more money in the economy.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's how you'll get an interest rate reduction. Please.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the Mercury in Tasmania. Talking earlier about how Queensland have now decided to make permanent fifty cent fees to increase the usage of public transport. Well, they've tried something similar in Tasmania, hasn't quite gone to plan. Minimal change in bus use, reads the headline. The number of passengers using metro buses has increased by just zero point nine percent since June last year, indicating the state government's introduction of half price fares has not meaningfully affected patronage of the service. There might be something else at play here, though, because in December The Mercury reported that one hundred and fifty bus services were suspended because of a lack of drivers. They reckoned they needed five hundred bus drivers to be able to run all of the services they advertised, and so the small takeup of public transport in Tasmania might have less to do with the price and more to do with the irregularity of services.
Speaker 1: That would make sense and the advertiser very quickly before we go, says Sanji Gupta. Didn't like our front page on Monday. His lawyer wanted it retracted. So here's a new take with the humble request please pay nice man with the bunnies and the daffodils and whatever around him. Sanji Gupta has the still works in Whyala, a regional town in South Australia, basically hasn't been paying his bills. The town is relying on this money. The tizer puts a wanted poster on the front of the paper and instead of paying his bills, Gupta sends a legal letter, well done, fellow.
Speaker 2: When you go to a break. When we come back, a Welshman accidentally throws something in the trash. You don't believe the extreme lengths he's willing to go to in order to try and find his lost treasure that's coming up in just a month. I actually did a big clean out at home today, Liz. I don't think I threw anything valuable into the trash, not like our guy in South Wales.
Speaker 3: But did your ex girlfriend back?
Speaker 4: James Howel has got to be one of the most unlucky men on the face of the planet. His ex girlfriend back in twenty thirteen through his hard drive, not knowing there was eight thousand bitcoins on it. Those bitcoins are now worth six hundred million pounds. James lost a case in the High Court just last month where he tried to get permission from the Council to be able to search through the tip. Really, James has been there since twenty thirteen. That's a lot of the stuff you'd be searching through.
Speaker 3: And he lost his case. He doesn't get to search through the tip for his hard drive.
Speaker 4: But get this, now that the tip has announced that it's closing, he's thinking of buying it so he can foss it through a decade over a decade of trash in the hopes of finding his long lost hard drive.
Speaker 3: How would you be, no wonder she's an ex girlfriend.
Speaker 2: What six hundred million pounds is about one point something billion Australian dollars easily. Yeah, yeah, Uricon, it's worth it, by the tip. Spend the rest of your life digging through it exactly for chance and winning lotto right one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, if someone said to me there's six hundred million pounds waiting for you, you've just got to dig through the rubbish, you know, I'd probably do it.
Speaker 4: Imagine if it was a really bad breakup and she sat at home with her dr drive.
Speaker 2: Being like I never threw it.
Speaker 1: Maybe she had it all along. Yeah, he knows, Hey, quickly before we go, varlet Philip Brady. Melbourne viewers, particularly older Melbourne views will know exactly who I'm talking about. He died this morning at the age of eighty five. He spent decades and decades in broadcasting in entertainment. Sixty seven years he worked in entertainment, which is just something you don't hear of these days. He was part of the original crew back in the days in Melbourne Tonight he worked on the Don Lane Show. He hosted game shows for Reg Grundy. He ended up at three aw where he was for about thirty years hosting the Nightline program with Bruce Mansfield. We just don't get entertainers like that any more. Can you think of anyone who you know, you would say sixty seven years from now will still be working in radio and television, et cetera. And he dedicated his whole life to the entertainment, to the point that everyone he told he was sick he was diagnosed with cancer last year, not to tell a soul, and they didn't until today because he didn't want to upset the audience. That's an entertainer. There you go.
Speaker 2: Well, on that note that's skipped from us stick around. Coming up is the Riada Penney show, good Night,