Speaker 1: Jason Lauren on one hundred.
Speaker 2: Morning Everyone, twenty seven Fast eight. You are on the air with Jason Lauren. This is No. One hundred. Let's say hello to our next guest.
Speaker 3: Our next guest is the longest serving female minister in Victorian state history.
Speaker 4: It's not lost on me that I am only the second woman to lead this stage, and that is also comes with some emotions. Please, welcome to the show, the Premiel Victoria just center.
Speaker 2: Ella, Hey, good morning, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 5: You've rolled in in a red suit looking like a Nova mascot.
Speaker 4: Please, I didn't realize I'd coordinated my wardrobe with overbranding. I'm delighted to you.
Speaker 1: I hope that means you're not going to any other radio stations after me.
Speaker 4: No I would.
Speaker 6: If you are, I'll give you the nov Boy head to wear. So look, last time you read I made this comment, I was devastated when we found out you're coming from Bend to Go this morning, that we didn't give you the heads up to swing past the cream, bring in a couple of snot blocks.
Speaker 4: They know how to do it out, so snop blocks and pies.
Speaker 2: I can't help but notice you walked in with a little little bag.
Speaker 4: A little bit of morning tea on the table. What do we go you bend it? Some of Bendigo's finest Well, are we allowed to give a plug? Flora Hill Bakery, Flora Hill Bakehouse, best vanilla slices in Bendigo. It is my local and my favorite bakery. The fresh today they're fresh.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Andrews rolled in with a couple of snopblocks back in the day. Nah, I was about to say, you would have got my boote.
Speaker 5: That's all right, Hey, you've got a bit going on. We do now talk to us about this housing. Some people love it, some people hate it. You're suggesting that we build more apartment buildings close to train stations so people can beat me their families and get to work.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 4: That's pretty much it, Lauren, That's pretty much it, because well, firstly, we've got to build more homes, just full store.
Speaker 1: People can't afford houses.
Speaker 5: I know people my age are trying to buy their first homes and they not even just my age, but they just can't afford it.
Speaker 4: And that's what I hear time and time again that younger Victorians, you know, let's call it anyone under the age of forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's finny.
Speaker 4: It really hard, like my generation because I'm a little bit older than forty. Anyone in my generation, Jason's generation, unfair generation. I'm going to go the next decade. But anyway, you know, I had the opportunity to buy home by my first time startup family. And it's also about building your long term wealth. It's tough. It's really tough.
Speaker 1: People are mad about it. Yeah, people are over it.
Speaker 4: And I want something done about it too, because for how we got here is by nothing being done about it, by accepting the status quo, just saying, oh, well, you know, do your best. Well, that's not acceptable to me, which is why we've been announcing building more homes and yes part of that around train stations, building a bit more high apartments.
Speaker 5: How high are we talking because there's people protesting is in protesting in the streets about not wanting these apartment buildings together.
Speaker 2: Mate.
Speaker 6: I was down at Brighton on the weekend. I took the kids out for frozen yogurt and I came out in the angry rich old people that were protesting outside half Moon Hotel in Church Street and I'm like, what are they winging about now they don't want it in the Bay Side area.
Speaker 4: Well, that appeared to be their argument. But if you start saying don't have it here, don't have it here, don't have it here, you don't have it anywhere. And that's how we got to this point. And so that's why a bit of height around train stations.
Speaker 1: Seeing closer to the city or out in the Adams.
Speaker 4: This is across the suburbs, but identifying train station locations because train we've been busy removing level crossings, upgrading the train line. That's exactly where you want to have people to live. You can jump on the train to get to school youth services.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're talking building more apartments in your train stations now, getting rid of like stamp duty costs and stuff for that for people to be able to buy into a cheaper Are we talking public housing as well?
Speaker 4: This is well, the government will continue to build public social affordable housing. We're doing that already. This is about is about how do we build more homes in the private private market.
Speaker 2: Will they be half private half public.
Speaker 4: Because so there'll be a mix, right, it is a mix.
Speaker 6: Because there's a big thing in the States at the moment, I was talking to a friend of ours over there, and what they're doing over there is to get down taxes and stuff like that. The government are saying, hey, if you include one like maybe levels one to three are public housing and three to nine a private housing, then people are buying too that unit block are getting less taxes.
Speaker 2: Or less fee.
Speaker 4: So let me do what we're doing.
Speaker 6: And so it's just saying sometimes they have separate entrances, which I couldn't believe.
Speaker 2: I could not believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's that's not definitely not what we're doing here. What we're doing is for these these sorts of developments, there's a streamlined planning process, and we're saying you've got to have at least ten percent social affordable housing as part of your development. Same developments, in the same developments, in the same development. Okay, so if you're building ten story apartment building and you want to go through our faster planning processes because you get it built more quickly, you've got to have at least ten percent social affordable.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, let's cut through it.
Speaker 7: Then.
Speaker 6: Do you think that's the issue that some people have? They're like, oh, well, you know what I don't want a building we're ten percent public housing in my area, because that's what I reckon.
Speaker 2: Hope in the area.
Speaker 4: Everyone deserves the dignity of roof.
Speaker 2: But I just wonder if cutting through all the crap is that what.
Speaker 8: The issue is.
Speaker 4: I'd really hope not, because it doesn't matter whether you need a house that the government builds or a house that the private industry builds. Who they do build the majority of homes in this state, Yeah, we need more of them, and that's why we've been We announced we're releasing more land in the outer suburbs. So if you want a big house on a bigger block, there's a there's land supply and a pipeline.
Speaker 5: Some of the housing in the public housing needs a really good clean up. I saw an investigation into it the other day, and there's families living in these environments. They're so unsafe and so dangerous for these families and their kids, and they don't want to black. Some people would rather be in a shelter than be in these places.
Speaker 6: And you know that people that looked out like we used to live on just off Bluff Road in Hampton East there and there was a huge government housing area and people used to look down upon it, and he used to give me the shits because I'd sit there and go in a second.
Speaker 2: You could end up needing accommodation.
Speaker 4: More and more people are finding themselves vulnerable around because we're not building enough. And that's why a game. We've got to get a mix apartments. Townhouses are a great way to go as well. How do you make it easier for more townhouses to be built again around transports, train station locations. That's what we're focused on. And look, yes, there will be some people will have a different view and won't like what you're doing. But listening to the voices who only say no got us to this point. I want to listen to the people who want us to say yes to building more homes.
Speaker 6: Okay, bigger issue. Any chance you can have a chat with our local council. I need my bins collected more than fortnightly.
Speaker 4: That's do you want to pull him out?
Speaker 2: No, I'm in the Bentley area? Is killing me? Just sent down? Well, I'm going around the shopping center's looking for whely.
Speaker 4: Being a chance local government elections are on now, you could have.
Speaker 1: Where's your enrollment going on?
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you found that since he move moving on Lauren thirteen twenty four to ten.
Speaker 2: If you have a question for the premiere, Hey, it's not the Royals?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Well no, I mean I think it's great that the King has come to visit Australia and we would love to have him here.
Speaker 1: Didn't he come to Melbourne?
Speaker 4: Well, I think there's there's a bit been said about it. His trip was focused around Sydney and Canberra had to head off into the Pacific. Couldn't possibly agree before he had to head off to the to chair the media. We could have.
Speaker 5: Stayed in Sydney because he's tired, right, he's He could have sent Camilla down for a bit of a little to see nine out at barb Amy. Milla would have loved ther knees up in Melbourne, don't you think I think she would have? So did you choose not to meet?
Speaker 1: To be a part of it?
Speaker 7: Was?
Speaker 4: There was a reception event that had a significant number of people at Parliament Housing.
Speaker 2: There are Snooze Festival.
Speaker 4: And again the government, the Victorian community was really well represented by our governor who is indeed the King's representatives in the state, Margaret Gardner, and that is an important part of her role and the government was represented by my part.
Speaker 1: That would have seen Christmas Day having the King and Queens.
Speaker 4: And I've been very busy this week focusing on how we can build more homes. Did not guarantee you didn't want to go to is a great place, but my focus has very much been on building more homes here in Melbourne.
Speaker 5: Blocked okay in all seriously to get the kids from school one day, the phones have lit up because I mean, as the premiere of this state, there's a lot of things going on.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of things people want to.
Speaker 4: Talk to you about.
Speaker 5: We're going to take your calls next thirteen twenty fourteen. If you do want to want to chat to us and the premier of Victoria Center, Alan, do you get nervous when this stuff happens and the pub the public get a chance to actually ask you a question.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a great part of the job. I say that genuinely, whether it's taking calls or speaking for people to public, that's that's what we should be doing.
Speaker 2: All right, Ship, nothing's off limits done Center Alan's actually.
Speaker 6: Calls next when you hear Coldplay Paradise, give us a ring and you will win tickets to the gig.
Speaker 2: Are you going to cold play for Center?
Speaker 4: No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Well, you're going to have to call us if you want to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Now, we don't might not go down well with the voters if we're like, okay, Central, Alan's on the line, you've got ticket ticketing.
Speaker 5: Politicians can't do anything? Can they even elbows in trouble for buying a house, which seems ridiculous to me.
Speaker 2: What do you think of that? Bad timing?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Look, yeah, you got to leave, you've got to buy a house. I think I'm more focused on you know, frankly, are we going to get support from our federal government here in victory or with what we want to do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I'm He's the Prime minister, though he should be allowed to have a buy a house.
Speaker 1: Blokes worked very hard his whole life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's more a ting issue anyway.
Speaker 5: Anyway, we've asked Melbourne to give us a ring to ask Premier just into Alan some questions. Are you ready for this? Does this stuff freak you out? When this could be anything?
Speaker 4: But it's great?
Speaker 6: All right, good luck, it's got a hillside, Thomas. You're on the line of the premiere, which question I.
Speaker 3: Just think Jason learned, Hello morning. I just want to know without the rising uth crime going on at the moment, and what your thoughts are on that, and also how they're getting bailed so quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that seems to be the big concern.
Speaker 6: I think everyone is sick and tired and agree with me or disagree here Thomas, but I think everyone's sick and tired of seeing offenders get caught doing something harsh and finding out that they're actually already out on parole.
Speaker 4: No, look, it is and that's why a couple of months ago we announced that we've strengthening bail, the bail changes, particularly for youth offenders here in Victoria put and the legislation has already gone through the Parliament because we do recognize that we have a particular issue. We do have too many younger people. It's a smaller number, but it's the repeat offenses.
Speaker 5: And here, these repeat offenders do one too many and bang they've killed someone innocently riding their bick to work.
Speaker 4: And that's and that's horrific for the family and loved ones of that person. And that is why we've done a bunch. There's a bunch of things around this, but particularly with a focus on strengthening that bail. So for that's through the Parliament.
Speaker 5: And are you're confident that will make a difference because it feels like this problem is out of controlling Melbourne's.
Speaker 4: Well just again, it's there's a number of things you've got to do. There is a it's a smaller number of young people and can I in terms of the work that Vic Poldo they have every night overnight from dust or dawn. They have dedicated police out on the street.
Speaker 5: But I'm working with no doubt the police are doing their bit. That's the issue. I think everyone knows the police are doing their bit and then these kids are getting out again.
Speaker 4: And so we're dealing with the court issue in terms of strengthening the bail, but we've also got to go back and stop it before we get to this point, which is why there's a huge amount of work going on with police as well. How do we get these young kids when they've done something more lower end and get them away from that life.
Speaker 6: Christ sticking with cops, I just want to go to lily Dale. Now we've got Mark on the line who's a police officer. And I think we have all seen the cop cars, the ambulances driving around Melbourne, fibrigade covered in text of the cops saying we need more money, we need more hours on market morning, Mate, you're on the Larne at the center, Hi.
Speaker 4: Mark.
Speaker 8: Yes, First of all, I'd just like to thank the opportunity wan to talk in regards to this issue itself. But the question I really want to pose anyways, whether or not the Premier is willing to step up and intercede in this discussion of the ongoing EBA pay dispute between the police force and just correct the situation that's unfolded where we've had to go into Stage two industrial action in regards to an ongoing discussion of where our pays at. It's something that is quite demoralizing as a police officer to have our livelihood. I suppose just back and forth between government and our senior management in regards to it and whether or not there can be some sort of an arrangement step in and sort it out.
Speaker 2: You can hear the emotion in your voice.
Speaker 5: Mark.
Speaker 6: That's not easy to talk about, mate, and rightfully so, is that something you can sort out.
Speaker 4: Look, thank you. Firstly, thanks Mark, And I was having the same thought Jason that you can hear it. Mars obviously a really committed police officer, So I want to thank Mark for the work he does.
Speaker 7: Sook.
Speaker 4: This has been going This has been going on for.
Speaker 1: A little while.
Speaker 4: Knowledge, Yeah, and we do want to see it resolved. There was an offer that was negotiated, it was agreed between the parties, but it didn't get through the final bit of the process with the police membership. And that's okay, that's part of the process. So we are back at the what they call the negotiating table. We're working through the process. And my takeout from Mark and this is certainly something I would agree with. We've got to get on and get it resolved. Because I didn't hear from he wants to go back to me.
Speaker 2: Can you help with that in the position you're in, we can help.
Speaker 4: There is there are you know, there is any a framework around how industrial relations negotiated, but it is certainly that is a priority that we want to get resolved. We've done it with the ambo's, we've done it with the nurses. We know we need to do it with the police.
Speaker 5: Is there a timeline on that because these guys are working their guts out overnight.
Speaker 1: They're exhausted as it is, and I condee.
Speaker 2: Now I would not want that job.
Speaker 6: And as a tax payer, I'd rather mind money going towards these guys out there protecting us than building a parking statue.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep, well look at it.
Speaker 1: We can lay off the statues.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, I'll take take that as take that as red.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: Look I agree this and look and i'ld go back and check. I know there is a huge amount of work going on because we've got to get this result.
Speaker 1: We want to a priority.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, government, we're talking about this on the show the other day. I was at the Boundary Hotel the other week and there was this lady. I had one hour of freedom and I say, okay, I'm going one hour of freedom. And I got there and this poor lady had fallen over and she was in the car park.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And there was one of the bartenders there and I stayed with him and it was like late in the day, it was getting cold. Thank god, I had all the kids jumpers in the boot, so we covered the lady. We waited an hour and twenty five minutes for an ambulance. We had ring triplo four times. It was honestly like ringing thirteen cabs. They were just like, hey, we'll get one there when we can. And then when an ambulance a right. This is the part that I found the most frightening. It was one ambo. He was on his own, so the only way they got her if we weren't there, he wouldn't been able to get her on a stretcher, get her into the ambulance to give a pain relief. What's going on in the like in the country's biggest city, how can we have that?
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, I was so frustrated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look we and again our ambo's also do a great job, and we've got more of them on the road in fact than other in terms of head of population than any other state. But that doesn't mean, you know, we've got to stop there. There is a lot of work that's also going on and how those calls that are made, how they are their triage through the process, because we know.
Speaker 6: But then I've got a mate who's an AMBO officer, and he will spend this is no jo. Here's been half a shift sitting there playing word or parked at a hospital waiting.
Speaker 4: That's what I was. That's one of the things we've got fix. And that's one of the things between Ambulance VIC and hospitals. We've got them doing some work on exactly that. Because we are seeing that transfer a patient between AMBO and the hospital front door.
Speaker 5: That's not so frustrating for them as well, because that's not what they're trained up to know. They don't want to be sitting there making small talk with someone. And we've had people calling through as well right now who are asking how we're supporting these essential service workers because we're seeing our ambos are burnt out.
Speaker 1: We're seeing our front all of them. Please fire, they're all burning out.
Speaker 6: Can I push on it? And I get you have to give me the answer go And we're working on that. We're having those discussions. I don't know how it works, admittingly, but do you just get them in a room and go. We're not leaving until we sort it out.
Speaker 4: And that's what needs to be done, particularly on that issue of can you mat the ambulance the ambulance back door in the hospital front door. We've got to do that better. And there is that is that is that is the government? Yes, absolutely, it's the government and we have we are there are there's work going on right now on how that needs to be improved, because it's not, as you said, it's not an ambo's passion to go and sit.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 6: Actually, Lauren, that day, if that was my mum laying in that car park for an hour and a half and it turned out she broke a hit for poor bugger, and I was I was furious. I was like, as a taxpayer, where's the help when you call?
Speaker 4: And I do just want to say it is there in terms of for the really serious this case. I'm not saying this lady's case wasn't serious, but we do have a great.
Speaker 6: System was playing on the ground. It was as serious as I've seen it. I'm going to hold you to that meeting. I put me in the room.
Speaker 2: I'll get them bloody sort of it?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 2: Should we go to Hillside? All right? Tom morning?
Speaker 1: Youth Crime.
Speaker 5: Emily was asking about the essential service workers and how we're helping them with burnout and fatigue, because it feels like all of our frontline workers are on the brink of people don't want to work in.
Speaker 2: Emily, what industry are you in.
Speaker 7: I'm actually an accountant.
Speaker 2: But you've got police officers in your family.
Speaker 7: Yeah, My families are predominantly police officers and like obviously the essential service workers. And so it's actually quite concerning to see the hours that they work and then the next day they have to get up being mom, b dad and then go back to work and work those extensive hours again. And what they see on the shifts and what they deal with to see it affect their mental health sometimes, Like you know, when they've done back to back shifts and they've been pretty bad shifts, they're burkout, They're exhaust there, they're fatigued, they're stressed because they're like, oh, I still got to do the paperwork or the reports or and the mental toll on them, like they're just so burnt out. Their mental health takes a bit of a toll. So my real question is like what are you doing to support these work is because they are under staff they're taking on the extra load and ye account and when yeah, when my team like is short staffed, it's stressful. And mate, I only do numbers in a calculator.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, thanks, thanks Emily. Look there is alongside the discussion we've had so far about the pay and the enterprise bargaining process, there's been some targeted programs that have been developed with the Police Association Victoria Police for police mental health because it is recognizing that it is a job like no other. You do see some are you tough stuff, and it is also a job that's twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, so you're out at different times of the day when the rest of us don't have to be out out and about. So there is some really targeted support for vic POP that is run through vic Pole for Victoria Police. And this is a program we supported following advice from the Police Association saying hey, we need to do more to support police mental health.
Speaker 1: Right, and that's happening. Yes, it is happening.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Hey, I'm just quickly on that. The other concern I had was Shane Patton, our police Chief Wigham, the head honcho of the.
Speaker 1: Victory I love him, we love him.
Speaker 6: However, he didn't know that the cops were referred to as the popos.
Speaker 1: Right Is that a question for the Premieer.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: I think in your next briefing you should let him know the slang terms used.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, look, we can't get to all the calls.
Speaker 5: The phones have I mean, this has gone as nuts as when we say we've got Coldplay tickets room. Now, there's a lot of people that want to talk to you there. Victoria is a great state. We've got some serious issues. Thanks for answering those questions. Oh, we appreciate it, and.
Speaker 4: Thanks to your callers. It is there are some challenges, but it is a great place and we've got to work at how do we work through those challenges and continue to support the things we love about Melbourne.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're right, we love this state and I'm sorry to get heated and by all means we wouldn't want your job. Oh god, no, no, we barely do this one. But yeah, there are a lot of frustrations and we just.
Speaker 4: Haven't got to hear them. Yeah, I've got to hear them.
Speaker 6: I know you want to fix just as much as us. All right, just enter all and join us on the other the premiere. This is cold Play. You want to win your way there. Thirteen twenty four ten is our number. We've got tickets next on Novara.
Speaker 5: Jason Lauren, Jase Lauren, Wake Up feeling good on No. One hundred, Lauren on socials