Speaker 1: Welcome to a bonus episode of Big Business, and a.
Speaker 2: Very special one at that.
Speaker 1: I am going to be chatting about, which I'm sure you have seen if you follow me on socials, my book, which is out now for pre order. It's called Just Getting Started. You can order it exclusively on book Topia. Producer x will be leaving a link in the show notes for you.
Speaker 3: You've never called me that before. That was really hot.
Speaker 2: Well that's what you've been calling yourself.
Speaker 3: You've never heard you say it.
Speaker 1: I was like Tingles, and I have actually three copies of the book here with me in the studio today.
Speaker 2: I've shown Xander. He felt. He goes, oh, it's so hard.
Speaker 3: How is this podcast?
Speaker 1: It's a hard cover, it feels nice. Oh that's what you said. She's thick, she's the And I thought maybe I could read a bit of the book.
Speaker 4: I want to hear it because I flicked through it because that's the only time I've had to have a little squeeze.
Speaker 3: But I haven't read anything yet.
Speaker 1: I feel like I don't know if I'm allowed to be reading out my book on the pod.
Speaker 2: But we're just breaking the rules today.
Speaker 3: Here in a big business. We don't play by the rules.
Speaker 2: No, we break them. People have been asking, am I going to do an audio book?
Speaker 1: And we've had some conversations about that, and hopefully we're going to make it happen. But as far as I'm aware, recording an audiobook is a massive job. Yeah, it's reading a whole book out loud perfectly.
Speaker 3: Do you want to pay me to do it? I'll do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can be you. You can do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, we are looking into doing that, but for now we just have the hard cover copy.
Speaker 2: Like, you can hear it. Listen, let's do asmr Oh.
Speaker 3: That actually sounds so yummy, does it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you'll be able to hear the pages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do it when you like, flick them all the way.
Speaker 4: Oh, it sounds that sounds like a zipper.
Speaker 3: We are getting hot and business today.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well at the end of the book.
Speaker 1: So I've been writing this book for two years, by the way, that's how long it's taken, and probably the first year was me getting it like complete, and then the next year after that. So the last twelve months I've been going back and adding things to the book.
Speaker 2: I've also been.
Speaker 1: Changing things because it's so funny if you start writing something now, in two years, you'll feel different about the things that you said. And so I'll read you a little bit now from the back of the book. And it's a letter to my younger self. And by the way, just if you want to do something that feels really therapeutic, write your younger self a letter. Because I found this really like enjoyable to write thinking that my younger self is going to read it.
Speaker 2: So let's let's do it. I'm going to read it.
Speaker 3: I am waiting on bettered breath. Is that how you say that? Is that the right? See you?
Speaker 1: I think so I'll google that while you read yeap, Dear younger Brittany. Oh, I've got to get on my book reader voice. Okay, not my like Bogan podcast voice. Dear younger Brittany. Right now, you're probably sitting in your tiny bedroom with your silver metal swirly love heart bed frame. Oh fuck, see how hard this is if I'm actually going to record, like imagine stuffing up and trying to read the whole book anyway. Look, this is just the uncut version and zebra print covers. Daydreaming about what the future might hold, you're living out of home for the first time because you had a huge falling out with your mum, which unfortunately isn't the first one, and to give you a heads up, it's not going to be the last one.
Speaker 2: Either, Tear.
Speaker 1: You've got a casual job working in the restaurant of a hotel in Newcastle, and you're working almost every night of the week, sometimes even eleven shifts in a row, and you absolutely hate it, but you love the people you work with and you really love the Sunday rates. You've not long started your YouTube channel and have discovered that you love makeup. Your makeup collection consists of Bys products you picked up from Kmart and you've made a few really bad makeup tutorials using them. You've dropped out of school and experience being bullied for your little videos you've been making, but you've persisted and kept making them anyway, which is actually going to be the thing that changes.
Speaker 2: Your entire life. You just don't know it yet.
Speaker 1: You've been through a lot emotionally by this point in your life and have been neglected by both of your parents. It's been a few years since your dad walked out and right now you're still in the phase of being super angry at not only him but the world. You're mainly upset by all of the milestones he missed. Teaching you how to drive, your school formal, getting your first boyfriend, and leaving school to head into the workforce. Those are the things that upset you the most. And you stood there in the park at your year ten formal getting photos and you kept looking around one if he would surprise you and show up.
Speaker 2: He never did, and it broke your heart.
Speaker 1: And I know how angry you are now and how angry you've been for years, but trust me, you'll get over it very soon.
Speaker 2: Your relationship with your mum has been on.
Speaker 1: And off for the last few years too, with lots of periods of no contact, and you'll eventually learn later in life that sometimes you just have to let them. Because of the way your parents have been throughout your whole life and especially in your teens, you've learned to become extremely independent at such a young age, and little do you know that the neglect you've dealt with is going to one day end up being your superpower. You're staring at the walls of your tiny world, wondering if you'll ever feel like you're someone. I know you think success is something reserved for other people, the people who come from money, who go to UNI, who have supportive parents, who are there to cheer you on, who seem like they have it all together.
Speaker 2: But let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: That dream you have in your chest, the one you're almost too scared to say out loud, it's not silly.
Speaker 2: It's the start of everything.
Speaker 1: I know right now that your goal is to score yourself a job where you can earn one thousand dollars a week.
Speaker 2: How good would it be to earn fifty k a year.
Speaker 1: You think about this often and it seems so out of reach, and you feel like you'll never get there.
Speaker 2: But trust me, you will.
Speaker 1: I wish I could sit across from you, take your hand and tell you to trust yourself, because the version of you writing this letter, she has lived the life you're too scared to even imagine right now. And let me just say, Britt, You're going to surprise yourself. I know you feel a little lost right now. You're seventeen, maybe eighteen, You're just trying to get through each day, job to job, paycheck to paycheck. You are going to have zero dollars in your bank account every week, and you're learning how to pay for your life expenses such as rent and bills, all on your own. You have no one to guide you. But doing this all on your own is going to pay off in the future. You've had so many different bosses already and you're not even twenty. So many uniforms and annoyingly, so many different super accounts, which, by the way, you still haven't sought it out at the.
Speaker 2: Age of thirty one. Fuck now I need to do that. It's one of those things.
Speaker 3: I think all the money's depleted, babes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's gone.
Speaker 1: You think that maybe this is just what life is, clock in, clock out, wait for the next day off. But I promise you this isn't where your story ends. There's something in you that doesn't sit still, that little spark that each to do something more. You don't know it yet, but that's your fire. Hold on to it even when you feel silly, even when other people don't understand you. Keep dreaming big. You're not meant for small things, britt You're going to build something so beautiful, and it's all because you didn't let go of that spark.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to keep going like this is longer than I thought.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're going to take a huge leap of faith and it will pay off one day soon. You're going to quit your full time job at twenty one. Yes, really, you're going to have around eighty thousand YouTube subscribers and without knowing it, you're slowly going to become one of the first influencers in Australia right now, that word doesn't even exist. As your YouTube channel grows, you're going to be contacted by some brands because they have worked out they can advertise their.
Speaker 2: Products through your videos.
Speaker 1: So you'll be working full time and making videos in the evenings and on the weekends, making a bit of extra pocket money. You'll even get your savings account to one thousand dollars and you'll feel totally rich. You'll actually become obsessed with never having below that amount in your account, and you'll feel super annoyed when your car regro has to be paid and you see it dip under. But don't stress, you'll always make sure to save it back up. The day that you decide to throw in your full time job is just a random week day. It was no one in particular who encourage you to do this. You've always been a bit spontaneous, and you're earning just enough money from your YouTube channel to scrape by. So one day you text your boss and say I quit without a care in the world, which, looking back, you probably could have gone about that in a better way. After you quit your job, people will think you're crazy. They'll raise their eyes eyebrows and ask what's your backup plan?
Speaker 2: And here's the truth. You won't have.
Speaker 1: One, but you'll decide that working on something you love, making videos sharing your life is worth the risk. You'll fil you'll feel scared out of your mind, but you'll take that leap anyway.
Speaker 2: And do you want to know what happens?
Speaker 1: It works, your little YouTube channel becomes something huge. A million people will click subscribe to hear what you have to say. Can you imagine that a million people? You'll be living your dream, traveling, creating, connecting with people all over the world. You'll grow a huge following on that new Instagram app too, and it'll all feel completely surreal.
Speaker 2: I wish you could see.
Speaker 1: The version of you standing on that first stage at a meet and greet, looking out at hundreds of faces who showed up just to meet you. It's surreal and it's just the beginning. But the road isn't always easy. I need to be honest with you, Britt. There will be hard days, days when you doubt everything. People on the internet will say mean things about you, and you'll pretend it doesn't hurt, but it will. You'll lose friends, and your life will be heading in a different direction compared to everyone you went to school with. You'll see everyone heading on their gap year trips, all still hanging out together, going to uni parties, and even though you're building this amazing and weird YouTube life for yourself, you'll feel lonely. You're also going to date a couple of really terrible boys over the next couple of years. And just to give you a heads up, you were never in love with any of them. You just thought you were, and that's okay. My advice would be, honestly, don't waste your time until you're at least in your mid twenties. But at least you can take away some lessons from them, all being don't date losers. Oh and speaking of mid twenties, when you're twenty four, you're going to launch a business.
Speaker 2: A business.
Speaker 1: Oh and Before that, you'll attempt a bunch of other little businesses too, that you didn't even realize were businesses. You just thought they were hobbies. They'll all fail, but you won't even see them as failures because you were just having fun and enjoyed trying something new. You'll have no idea what you're doing, no degree, no investors, no business partners, just google and gut instinct. You'll make mistakes, some big, some small. You'll hire the wrong people, you'll lose money. You'll lie awake at night and think what if I fail? What if this all goes away? But you won't fail because when things get tough, you'll do what you've always done. You'll figure it out. That's your superpower. You don't quit even when it's hard.
Speaker 2: You'll learn to trust.
Speaker 1: Yourself, to quiet all the outside noise and believe in your own decisions and that brit that's what will make you unstoppable.
Speaker 2: The people you meet will change your life.
Speaker 1: When you're in the middle of the grind building your dream, one late night at a time, you'll meet someone expected.
Speaker 2: His name is Aj.
Speaker 1: When you first meet he'll be working as an electrician and you're not looking for anything serious because you've just come out of a very public relationship and break up. But let me tell you something, AJ will become so much more than your partner. He'll be the calm to your chaos, the one who sees your vision and says, let's do it together. He'll quit his job, take a risk and work alongside you, and the two of you you'll become a team in every sense of the word. When you two first meet, the idea of this ever happening will never even cross your mind. You could simply never imagine working alongside AJ, but it will actually turn out to be one of the best things you've ever done. Your story isn't just about what you build, it's about who you build it with. You'll surround yourself with people who believe in you, people who share your vision and lift you higher. And one day you'll look around at your team and the brand you've built and think, I can't believe this is my life. You're going to inspire people. Here's the part you might not believe yet. You're going to change people's lives. The clothes you create will make women feel confident in their bodies. And yes, it's just clothes, but trust me when I say there's so much more to it than just that. The words you share will make people feel less alone. Your journey, the risks, the failures, the winds, will inspire others to dream bigger for themselves. You'll be reminded of how much you inspire people when you're standing in one of your retail boutiques and you have customers in your chaine room stepping out with tears rolling down their cheeks because they've just found clothes that fit them perfectly and make them feel beautiful. You'll watch them walk out of your store with their hands full of shopping bags that contain pieces that you created. Oh and yeah, you're going to open retail stores. You're going to literally figure out how to do all of this.
Speaker 2: On your own.
Speaker 1: That neglect you felt from your parents growing up, and how you felt like you always had to figure things out on your own. It's the best thing that ever happened to you, because you're just going to become so fearless. You're also going to launch a podcast called Big Business in twenty twenty three, by which, by the way, I think one year of Big Business is in like a couple of days.
Speaker 3: I think, oh my god, I think you're right. Yeah, let me check that.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure it's like tomorrow or the next day.
Speaker 3: Now, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: If you is it today?
Speaker 3: It's tomorrow, Yes, today, it's exactly a year since.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm reading this now, that's so crazy.
Speaker 3: It is Crazyow, what the hell?
Speaker 2: Happy one year? Happy one year literally tomorrow as we're reading this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm shook by that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And by the time everyone's listening to this, it'll have been yesterday.
Speaker 4: It'll be yeah, yeah, it'll been yesterday. Wow, that's crazy. Continue, Oh my god, I'm any goosebumps.
Speaker 1: So you're going to also launch a podcast called Big Business in twenty twenty three when you're thirty, and it's going to become the number two business podcast in the country. You absolutely love recording episodes where you can openly and honestly share all of your stories, all of your mistakes, and everything you've learned over the years with your listeners. It's a bit of an outlet too, where you can share personal stories about your life and you'll do a whole lot of self reflection in the process. And the best part, you'll do it all while staying you you won't compromise who you are, not for fame, not for money, not for anyone. You'll be real, raw and honest, and that's what people will love the most about you. Celebrate how far you've come. There will be moments when you'll feel like you're not doing enough. You will compare yourself to other people, to businesses bigger than yours, and wonder if you're falling behind. But here's the truth, brit You're exactly where you're meant to be. Every small win, every milestone, every time you kept going when you could have given up. Those moments matter. I need you to stop sometimes and see it, really see it. The hard work, the sacrifices, the victories, and the lives you've touched. Success doesn't always feel like fireworks. Sometimes it feels like standing still for a second and saying, I did that, and you deserve to celebrate it every step of the way. The hard moments will shape you, but they won't define you. There will be setbacks, heartbreaks, times when you don't know if you can keep going, but you will because that's who you are. A fighter, a dreamer, a doer. You'll learn that every hard moment teaches you something, And even when you stumble, you'll always get back up. Weirdly enough, by the time you're thirty one, you will have learned to love the hard moments because you know how much you'll grow from them. One day, you'll look back at the girl sitting in that tiny room in your sharehouse rental, scared for the future, and you'll be so proud of her because she didn't give up.
Speaker 2: Here's what I want you to remember.
Speaker 1: You're going to build a life you're proud of. It won't always be easy, but it will be yours. You'll work hard, love hard, and live a life that's so much bigger than you can imagine right now.
Speaker 2: So keep going, keep dreaming.
Speaker 1: And don't let anyone, not even that little voice in your head, tell you that you can't do it, because you can and you will with love and so much pride. Future you ps all those jobs you hate right now, they're teaching you things you will need one day, even if it doesn't feel like it.
Speaker 3: I love it. I can't wait to read it.
Speaker 4: She handed me the book today, She's like, you can look at it now, but I literally can't give it to you.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Well, I only have six I've got to give two to Matt today because you know he needs his well one for dedicated lifestyle and one for Matt all right, hey, because they're both book people.
Speaker 2: And then I'll get you your Xander. At least you can hold this to today.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do my own ASMR now.
Speaker 1: So that's a little spoiler chapter from the end of the book. And you know what, everyone needs to write their younger self a letter because it's very cool to reflect on where you are now.
Speaker 3: You've actually really I actually really want to do it now. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Hearing that, I was getting like emotional number one because I know how it feels for you. But then I was thinking if I was to do that with myself, like, I think it would actually be quite cathartic.
Speaker 3: Cathartic, Yeah, I think it'd be quite cathartic.
Speaker 1: That's my task to all of you this week. Sit down, set aside half an hour and just write a letter to your younger self and it makes you really reflect on how much you've achieved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it really gives yourself perspective.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And imagine if younger us knew what we were doing now and all the things that we've done in our life. If you told that to your younger self, they probably never believe you, ye, which is crazy, I know. But anyway, thank you for tuning in to a very special bonus episode.
Speaker 2: I was going to say of High Scroller, is there a Big Business?
Speaker 1: And you can find my book linked in my bio but also in the show notes, and I'm going to be posting about it over the next few weeks. With the pre order being live, I'm going to be signing as many copies as I can. I'm going to book Topia HQ soon ish and I'm going to spend an entire full day there signing as many as I can. And I'm also going to do some like of my fun warehouse style videos but in their warehouse, like packing orders and stuff like that. So be sure to get yourself a copy. It's available to order now, and thank you so much. And this is so cool that this is coming out at the one year of Big Business.
Speaker 3: Crazy. Also, how many priors have you got already?
Speaker 2: I don't know yet. It only went up last night and I spoke to the team.
Speaker 1: They haven't said, but I'm keen to no because I'm so used to like launching stuff on our website. And being able to see whereas now I'm like, I don't know how it's.
Speaker 3: Going at is not in your control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyway, that's all from me today and thank you so much