Speaker 1: I'll get a team mcraig, Anthony Harper, Patrick, James Bonillo. The name of the show is the You Project. Every second week, Young Patrick and I just saddle up. Usually young Tiff is Tiffin. Who's Tiffin? Sounds like some kind of stage show. Usually Tiff is here, she's not today, So it's just us two alpha males just fucking holding down the fort. But he reckons more alpha male?
Speaker 2: You or me, ah, neither of us. Fritz, that's true.
Speaker 3: I think it said he's nuts cut off? Can I just ask a question? How can I never do the opener? I know it's your show, and.
Speaker 4: Let's start again. Let's start again?
Speaker 1: Okay, yep, hey groovers, Welcome to the You Project. I'm joined by one of the people I most respect in all the world. In fact, I am humbled in his presence and in a lot of ways I wish I was him. Not only is he smarter, better looking, and more talented, he shares the same birthday with the Dali Lama, which goes a long way to explaining who he is. So, without further ado, welcome back to the You Project. Patrick Bonello, Hey haw good?
Speaker 2: Was that fuck?
Speaker 4: And?
Speaker 1: Hell?
Speaker 4: Now I know what you did. I'm quite terrified tell people I did not know that was coming. Everybody that wasn't me saying that? Wow? When did you do that? And how explain to people what that was?
Speaker 3: So I subscribed to a service called eleven Labs. It's an AI voice generator. I sampled just one minute of your voice from one of your podcasts. I uploaded it and then I profiled you. So I put middle aged Australian male, just a very brief descriptions, you know, deep voice, that sort of stuff, and it generated that so effectively.
Speaker 2: I could you could give me a.
Speaker 3: Sentence now and I could get you to say it back in AI.
Speaker 2: Something simple.
Speaker 1: That's all right. I've got a big crush on Patrick, right my type. I don't know that this is very good live, but anyway, here we go, Here we go. Yep, I've got a big crush on Patrick.
Speaker 2: Oh no, not as good? That is it?
Speaker 4: It's not bad?
Speaker 2: Drop it back, let me try again.
Speaker 1: I've got a big crush on Patrick. It's kind of it's good until it gets to your name.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So what you can do is you can keep uploading additional audio and then as it profiles your voice, then it'll be able to get it a lot better. Like, for example, I don't think you remember saying this earlier, but I'm sure you said this earlier.
Speaker 2: Craig.
Speaker 1: It just occurred to me that if all of our listeners sent Patrick five dollars each, I will match that with whatever we come up with.
Speaker 4: Fuck you, fuck you and your AI skills.
Speaker 3: So I might throw a few of these just randomly through the show, just when it you know, if a pause, I'll just throw something in.
Speaker 1: That is very funny and a little bit terrifying. I've never thought, I think it's I've seen that done to other people. I did not expect anyone to be doing that to me anytime soon. But thanks for introducing the world to that. Thanks for giving people that idea. Wow, how long did that take? I mean you're very tech savvy, but how long did that take for you to figure that? Like, you could literally do a whole podcast of me when I'm not even present, Well, you.
Speaker 3: Could do both of us and then just create it and put it together. It would take a little bit of work, but they are getting so much better. And an answer your question, probably having never used the software, never done anything with it before, I would say maybe three or four minutes.
Speaker 2: Once I found the clip and.
Speaker 3: Uploaded it, it profiled it with a short amount of time. I took the phrase, typed it up for the intro to the show, and then I played it through about four times and you can alter it, and then I've chose the one I thought sounded the best.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you could get some famous speech and get me to say that famous speech. So could you just upload the upload the dialogue and then is that how it works?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can type anything, so I can either type it in or I can just copy and paste, hit the generate speech button, and off it goes.
Speaker 1: Now some famous there's some famous Star Wars quote, like in a Galaxy Far far whatever. This is probably not something we should do in the middle of recording a podcast. Everyone, but fuck it. Stand by, Let's see what happens. Is there some wrong in this one? The force is strong in this one.
Speaker 2: There you go, Well, it kind of sounds funny you're saying that because I know you.
Speaker 1: It doesn't give it any inflection, does it? Like, there's no emotion.
Speaker 4: It's very it's very flat.
Speaker 1: The force is strong in this one.
Speaker 2: That's a little bit better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what did you do then like what?
Speaker 3: Yep, there's more variable, so you can either make it more stable or more variable. So there's there's three controls. There's similarity, stability, and then style exaggeration Yeah yeah, wow wow, and then you can use other languages as well.
Speaker 1: Force is strong in this one.
Speaker 2: It doesn't sound too bad, does it.
Speaker 4: That's not too bad. It's not too bad. Interesting, you are interesting, you are all right?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure we'll jump in and out of fake me through the show. I can't wait to see how you're going to fucking, you know, destroy me as we move on.
Speaker 4: What are we talking about in today's episode?
Speaker 1: If Patrick does typ one of my favorite porn films.
Speaker 3: My next big gadget I reckon And I've been looking at these quite closely. Ironically, they're glasses, so I guess you would be. But smart glasses. Now, there are two different types of smart glasses when we think about them. One is where we talked and we've talked about the augmented reality ones where it's super composes a picture. They're not quite there yet, but aahweh has released a new version of what they call their eyewear two and what I like about it is you can wear the glasses and you can use them just every day. They last about eleven hours on charge, which is pretty a long time. You don't need to have earphones plugged in, so you can use them as your virtual assistance, so you could, you know, call somebody, use them as a hands free device you But what I really like about the Huawei Ones is they've come up with a posture kind of assistance. And what it does is will actually look at your posture or work out whether you're slouching and then remind you. So it will monitor so it actually is able to check on your posture. And it's got a lot of features built into it, so you know you they're lightweight, they're comfortable, and you can tap it to play music, you can make calls.
Speaker 1: And you missed out a chunk of info like you just said glasses, So it's not glasses. Yeah, there's glasses, but is it a phone?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 3: It pairs to your phone, So if you imagine the glasses you've got on now, you just touch the arm of the glasses to activate it, and you could say, be walking and it would be giving you directions turn left at the next street.
Speaker 2: That sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: So anything that your phone can do, you can be able to connect your glasses to as your smart assistant. So take phone calls, make phone calls, all that sort of stuff, and just listen to me music. One of the things I like about this is you know, quite often you see people with earbuds and you wonder how dangerous that is because they can't hit traffic and it's easy to kind of be lost in your own world. The good thing is that this because they're not plugged into your ear and they conduct through the top of your ear. It means that if the doorbell goes, or if you're walking down the street, you can still hear things around you.
Speaker 2: So I kind of like that feature as well.
Speaker 1: Isn't Huawei the brand that got booted out of Australia and the US their phones?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was there, Well, not the phones. You can still buy Wa Hwei phones but you can't. It was more the high end stuff they were using for telecommunications. So they had a big contract in Australia to provide telecommunication technology and both Australia and in China. The big concern is not so much well, I mean, there was some controversy around Huawei, but it was more that you can't guarantee in China that a large company isn't getting nudged and looked at by Beijing. That's the problem with the communist government is and that's the big concern. Soanies like Dji, the drone manufacturer, they've pulled out all drones from the US high end drone markets, so where they're using them in say law enforcement or fires and things like that, and they're doing the same in Australia as well, So they're saying they don't want the potential for China to be monitoring what these drones are doing.
Speaker 2: Effectively, it's surveillance.
Speaker 3: There's no suggestion And Dji I kind of feel for those companies because if they're doing the right thing and they're saying, well, we're not actively monitoring you, but there's no way to.
Speaker 2: Really believe it.
Speaker 3: And the suggestion is that, well, if Beijing walks up to the front door, and I mean that in general terms, someone representing the government knocks on the door and sees, we want all your records, well, you know, do they have any ability to be able to say no?
Speaker 2: And that's the question, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just googled it because I didn't believe you, but you are right. Australia has been Huawei Technology Co. From supplying equipment for Australian five G mobile. Why would I ever fucking doubt you. That's why have you Australian five G mobile network, citing national security risks.
Speaker 4: But they have not banned the phones.
Speaker 2: Correct, yep, okay, okay, yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, Well there you go. But apparently their phones are great. They're high end phones are meant to be great.
Speaker 2: They're really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've got a friend that was just we were comparing photos. I was going to chat about this on the show at some point. I've got some gorgeous photos and I think I sent you a couple of the aurora, the.
Speaker 2: Southern Aurora that we had last weekend.
Speaker 3: I was just lucky to be at the right place at the right time and got some gorgeous photographs and just that beautiful red and green glow.
Speaker 2: Fritzie and I went out there. He jumped in the car with me.
Speaker 3: We drove out about I don't know five minutes away, were in total darkness, and it was gorgeous.
Speaker 2: It was great. Got some really nice photos.
Speaker 3: But for a lot of people who may have been out there and wondered why they weren't seeing in real life what our phones were actually showing when we took photos. So the photos I sen chew and for all of us have been on social media and had a look on all those photos.
Speaker 2: You may say, well.
Speaker 3: They didn't look anything like that, But when I took the photo, it looked amazing. And that was the case for me as well, and it was interesting. I did a bit of research and there are a number of reasons why, and one of them, of course, is that they take an extended exposure. In my case, my phone took a six second exposure to get the image. But the other thing is that the cones inside our eye, the light receptors in our eye, when it gets really dark, they effectively switch over from one sensor to another sensor, and one of them is about to get as much information and to pull in as much light, so it kind of drops the use of color and goes to almost black and white. So if you're stumbling around at night and you've only got a faint glow in your room, more than likely you will you will see in much more muted tones. So if you're standing out looking out at what we saw as the aurora. Effectively, what you're looking at is something that's much more muted because you're just not getting enough light to the receptors in the back of your eye as well. So that's the reason why most people's phones showed some really awesome pictures, but you weren't seeing the aurora look anywhere near in the quality that your phone was taking pictures of.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at that picture that you sent me right now.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering if I might I don't know if I'll be able to use that in the promo for the show, But it does look it looks it literally looks like something made up. It looks like something sci fi because there's there's just this blend that starts at the top being almost black through to this burgundy indigo color, goes into this light green dark green, and then but down through the middle of that, it's almost like there's shards of light and it looks it looks like a computer generated thing. Doesn't look like a photo at all. I mean, I'm feeling dumb at the moment. Can you explain that to me? Like I was a three year old? I'm sorry, could you stop playing fake me. People are not going to go what's real? No, what's real and fake me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's although what you've said it seems kind of on par don't you reckon?
Speaker 4: Well, I know what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am dumb though, but thanks thanks for making me. Of course you were right. I'm always wrong and you are one hundred percent right all the time.
Speaker 4: Huh oh god. How many of those do you have?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 2: There a couple more?
Speaker 4: All right? Now?
Speaker 1: Before we go on with your little kind of little that isn't it? Don't you hate it when people say your little thing? Last week you and I.
Speaker 3: Had No one's ever said that, Tommy greg Yeah, you're right right, John Holmes.
Speaker 1: Everyone's going to be googling that now. A couple of weeks ago, last time we were together, we had a bet. I can't even remember what the bet was about, but that was something to do with something that Tiff would know.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was a picture of Richard Nixon. I sent you a picture of Richard Nixon. You forwarded that picture to Tiff and I said, of course Tiff will know who that is, and you said, not a chance. It started to ten dollar bet, and then you doubled it. To twenty dollars and I burned and crashed and burned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you did crash and burn. And then this week I went outside and just under my gate was an Australia Post parcel and it was like weird. It was shaped like a thick, fat, long sausage roll and I picked it up and it felt like a very thick fat sausage roll and it was kind.
Speaker 2: Of felt like a John Holmes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: Limp and heavy, speaking of John Holmes.
Speaker 1: And I opened it and it said from Bland, from the Tooth Fairy. And I'd forgotten all about our bet. In fact, I didn't know until today when Melissa enlightened me because she'd listened to the show. And I said, Patrick sent me like a fucking million five cent pieces.
Speaker 4: And I got, I got this this. Well, let's see, you sent me apparently twenty dollars worth, and there's twenty and that so twenty times twenty so four hundred and five cent pieces.
Speaker 2: I guess was it actually healers?
Speaker 4: Was it actually twenty bucks?
Speaker 2: Because it was twenty bucks and it cost me.
Speaker 3: What you'll really enjoy is it cost me eleven bucks to send it to you.
Speaker 1: That's what I said to her, it must have cost nearly that much to send it because.
Speaker 4: It weighed a lot.
Speaker 2: It did one point.
Speaker 1: And also it's been brought to my attention by you that you're actually breaking the law and doing that.
Speaker 3: So I went to the bank, called the bank first, our local little community branch, and said if you got twenty bucks in five cent pieces, and they kind of umed an out for a little bit and said, yeah, sure, come in and grab them. So I went in there and they gave them to me in all these cute little neat bags, and I've got my post pack and I'm just opening up.
Speaker 2: The bags, tipping them in, open up the bag, tipping in.
Speaker 3: And then I went to the post office and the girls at the post office were pissing themselves laughing when I told them what it was for. And then after i'd sent it to you, of course, I started telling lots of people what i'd done, because you know, I'm trying to get a bit of a pat on the back for myself. And someone said to me, you know that's illegal. I said, what because the post office accepted it, and so I did.
Speaker 2: A good search and yeah, it's illegal.
Speaker 3: To send any sort of cash via mail delivery service.
Speaker 4: Who would have thought, I wonder why no idea?
Speaker 1: I guess because they don't want that to be a common practice because if if the bad guys think that there's money floating around in the mail, then there are Yeah, it kind of makes sense, but I don't see why you should get penalized if you're if you're the one pinching money, but if you're the one putting money, and I don't think you should I get penalized.
Speaker 4: Where we going next? Obi? Wan? Can I be?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Look, I guess I was really interested in a couple of health related stories talking about AI because Google has got its AI interface called Gemini, and what they're saying is it's going to really help blind people, so people who are vision impaired.
Speaker 2: And there's two little things that I thought was really cool.
Speaker 3: It's called talkback and it's using generative AI, and what it means is that it will be able to run offline. Okay, So one of the biggest issues with AI at the moment is that it's a giant service somewhere, and there's a lot of controversy over how much you know that data generating costs in terms of power and is there a real impact. But this language model is actually designed for people with low vision, and it creates descriptions of objects for blind users, but it runs totally off the cloud and on the device itself, so they would be able to refer back to articles of clothing. They can say, well, this is a close up of a T shirt and so it.
Speaker 1: Will but people are blind, what do you mean they can say this is a close up.
Speaker 4: Well, because you would use so it's describing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it describes, it describes it's seen, so right, yeah, yeah, And it can get really really quite specific. It's not just this is address, but this is a floral dress and it's green and red and it has fringes and that sort of stuff. And they're doing the training of the AI with quite a fair.
Speaker 2: Bit of my neuche.
Speaker 3: So if you're going shopping and your vision impaired, this could be really really useful, even just matching clothing colors and that sort of thing. And I guess the other thing I love about it is it makes people a lot more independent, so there are less inhibitions because it is harder for people to shop, and we take it for granted. I mean, you work so hard to look so uncoordinated, says he who's wearing a rainbow colored and a black tea.
Speaker 1: Sir, hey, fuck you, Brad Pitt, just fuck now, talk about the clock calling the kettle black. Mister Cardigan wearing fucking beret wearer.
Speaker 2: I'm not wearing a beret or a cardigan today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just today. You're wearing an ABC logo on a T shirt.
Speaker 3: That's because I started doing Actually no, it's a Pride logo because today's idahol a day. But also today I started doing a regular segment on ABC Regional Radio.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you that I have a fan I won't say his name, but I have a fan on my IG who's very very keen to.
Speaker 4: Catch up with me, sending me nice messages.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 1: He's a bit of a sweetheart too, he's nice.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure I know.
Speaker 3: No friendship. I'm thinking friendship that you doesn't have to go. I mean, he knows it doesn't.
Speaker 4: Is requesting a bit more than friendship, But that's all right.
Speaker 2: Personally, training.
Speaker 4: There's something like that. That's yeah, yeah, that's I might pour it into you. Thanks for that, friends though, and go on.
Speaker 3: No, So I was just saying how exciting this is and using things like AI offline to be able to assist people who are vision impaired. And the other thing that relates to this, there's a Seattle startup at the moment and they've got this really really really cool gadget called one court. So if you imagine you're sitting down at a sporting game, or you're watching a sporting game tennis, you know, grid iron or whatever it happens to be, and you lay your hands on the screen if your vision impaired, and it gives you haptic feedback of what's actually happening on the court. So if you're playing tennis, I could you could feel it and the vibrations match what's being played out on the court.
Speaker 4: Oh wow wow, yeah, yeah, you're watching good. What if you're watching a porno? Does it do the same?
Speaker 2: You had to go there, didn't you? No?
Speaker 4: I didn't. I choose to. You know, by the way, everyone Patrick, that was he? That was fake me? That wasn't real?
Speaker 2: MAE say that, Yeah that was Patrick.
Speaker 4: So now I can get you in trouble just quickly before we move on.
Speaker 1: You know what I like about those the glasses that essentially describe what's happening in front of people. Think about the potential applications for safety, you know, crossing the road, holes in the footpath, you know, obstacles like that's a pretty cool application as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a nice little seguay because there's a really great story about a guy in the United States who.
Speaker 1: Would just point out to put everyone how much you just fobbed me off?
Speaker 4: Then did I You went?
Speaker 3: You wentblished that, she went, Yeah, it was my topic.
Speaker 2: I was telling you how exciting it is.
Speaker 1: You were talking about choosing fucking clothes. No, like, oh, here's a close up of a T shirt? What about saving someone's life? Your dickhead.
Speaker 2: But you gave me the perfect segue to the next segment. It's a really keep.
Speaker 4: Going, say keep going segway. Boy.
Speaker 3: So this, this guy in the United States got a black T shirt with just a stop sign on the front of it and then just stood by the side of the road and autonomous cars was stopping because they thought he was a stop sign.
Speaker 4: That's great, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I near'd like it.
Speaker 4: That's but also, I mean, I wonder if he could get charged with anything.
Speaker 3: Right years, I don't know, so this guy's his name's Jason Carr is from Arizona.
Speaker 2: And look, I think he was doing it to prove a point.
Speaker 3: So Waimo is the company that has robotaxis and they're running tests at the moment. So initially he just stood at the edge of the road, and yeah, the car came to a complete stop, and then it eventually resumed driving once he walked away.
Speaker 2: Or hid the T shirt. But look, he said that it was something that he was doing.
Speaker 3: It was a bit of a publicity stunt, I guess, or you know, to kind of to be able to emphasize a point that these self driving vehicles still have a long way to go to differentiate between a sign on a stick by the side road and an intersect and just someone standing in a T shirt. But yeah, I mean my first reaction was to have a bit of a chuckle as well. But it does show, you know, the risks of how an autonomous system like that and a vehicle is a major heavy vehicle, you know, particularly if it's an electric powered vehicle. They're even heavier, aren't they. You can you can fool them, and there was all the controversy a few years ago, well not that long ago, actually, over whether or not the totally autonomous driving of the Tesla's was able to pick up a child and differentiate between a child walking across the road, and so there was again a little bit of controversy around that. At the end of the day, we want to make sure we've got driver safety. But the current driver safety that's built into a lot of vehicles is phenomenal. I know I'm always crying about this, but it is good.
Speaker 2: It's getting better.
Speaker 3: It means that people are less likely to fall asleep at the will because their car will notify them if they not off or if they drift out of their lane, and that's got to be good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the challenges I think though, is that some of the cars are so high tech.
Speaker 4: Now. I love cars, I love motorbikes.
Speaker 1: I watch reviews all the time, as you know, which is ironic because I drive a fucking old Suzuki Swift. But you know, like I haven't had a nice car for years because I kind of went through a phase. But I still love watching reviews, and I've been watching lots of reviews lately on new fancy cars, electric cars, and I watched this guy testing a car called the Tank five hundred, which is essentially the size of a land Cruiser.
Speaker 4: It's Chinese.
Speaker 1: It looks like a two hundred thousand dollars car at seventy grand, give or take, except one of the problems. And he jumps in and he's talking, and he takes off and he's been driving for one hundred meters and the car tells him, you're tired, pull over and have a rest.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: It keeps telling him because it's got all of these senses that it can allegedly sense fatigue or tiredness or however it does. And so every two hundred meters that was telling him to pull over because he was tired, and he just literally jumped in and started driving. So they're sorting out the kinks. But you know, I wonder, like I kind of love the fact that I have a five year old car that's kind of basic.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like there's I don't need to be a buddy tech journeius to be able to get in it and operate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I.
Speaker 3: Love the more safety you have in a car, but I still love to drive a manual every now and again. I love, you know, stick shift it's nice to go through the gears and feel the.
Speaker 2: Car and know when to change.
Speaker 3: And as you know, you've driven sticks many times on the power of the vehicle. You remember the term powerband. Yeah, and I love that. I love the people of our generation understand what that means. And the other thing is I've taught a lot of people to drive in my Nissan on this NXR coop. And the good thing about teaching a young person how to drive and a manual is they have a lot more respect for how an engine works, because you know that when you go from first gear to second gear to third gear, you can feel and hear how your engine is being taxed and how much effort the engine is going through and the car. I like that, And I'm not a petrol head by a long shot, but I still love the feeling. And a friend of mine she had to look for so many different models before she was even able to purchase a manual car. I think the WRX is one of the few cars on the road that still is a manual.
Speaker 2: It's very, very hard to buy a manual.
Speaker 1: View. Yeah, mine's manual. Mine's five speed. It's a little one point four turbo, little Suzuki sport.
Speaker 4: It's great, It's great.
Speaker 1: Here's something that caught my eye. I don't know why researchers build AI driven sarcasm detector.
Speaker 2: Oh I.
Speaker 4: Was that built for me?
Speaker 3: It feels like it doesn't it It really really really does that. There is a seriousness behind this because being able to detect sarcasm.
Speaker 2: I know we call it.
Speaker 3: The lowest form of whip, but I believe also it shows intelligence. Potentially maybe, but evidently knowing sarcasm means your interaction with people is a lot more natural. So what it means, So this is some researchers who have basically looked at sarcasm as a way to make the AI model understand more about how language works. And sarcasm can be hard to detect even if you're just an average person. But if you're trying to train an AI model to be more clever to understand how people work, the sarcasm director detect certainly has a lot of benefits.
Speaker 2: So I kind of like it that it's an interesting.
Speaker 3: Idea, and then when you start to dig down a little bit deeper, it makes a lot of sense. Because we have a lot of nuances in communication and in our conversation. I mean, look at my shows when we get let's face it.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's why we have people who love it and people who hate it. Speaking of sarcasm.
Speaker 1: This afternoon, I had a meeting with my senior academic supervisor, Chris, and my other supervisor, Lucy, and another guy called Campbell who helps with analytics and data and shout out to Campbell, and and anyway, we're all on this call and we're trying to figure out we're talking about this, you know, looking at I won't bore everyone, but we're looking at different variables that we could correlate with what too, Sorry, anyway, we're thinking we're talking about different things that we could correlate with or explore, being a relationship between meta accuracy and so meta accuracy and age meta accuracy and income metaaccuracy and all these different things. And I said, like, as you know, Sarka as a maner joke, I go, what about meta accuracy and star scigns and like every like maybe virgos are really fucking good at it, right, or capricorns maybe they can just you know, they're great at this. And all three of them just looked at me like I was a complete fuck with and Chris, my senior supervisor, didn't even respond and he just kept he just kept talking, Oh and ah, there it is, and that's probably why I shouldn't be in this environment anyway, keep going, I'm really getting bored.
Speaker 3: No, oh, I didn't pick up and that I said no instead of now, oh, there you go, keep going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was it. That was just the sarcasm thing. I thought it was great.
Speaker 3: Do you Another little AI story that I had to kind of throw in here is how people are using AI now for insurance fraud.
Speaker 2: Did you see that? It came up a little while ago. So what they're.
Speaker 3: Doing, yeah, because when you put in an accident claim, you show your vehicle and the damage.
Speaker 2: And thankfully I.
Speaker 3: Haven't had too many accidents, but I did head a kangaroo in my new car after they had it three months and wow, yeah it was a really messy hit. And I look it was already dead on the road, because that would have made me even more distressed if it had been alive and I was responsible for killing it.
Speaker 2: But that's it.
Speaker 3: Yet took out a big chunk of the front of my car. But what people are doing is they're actually faking claims by putting a picture of their car into AI and say, put a DNT in the front right fender and.
Speaker 2: Then submitting it.
Speaker 3: Really, so insurance companies are now and this was a study in the UK done by Alliance, and they're saying that what they're having to do is now really look closely at accidents because they may be what they call shallow fakes. So we've heard of deep fakes. This is a shallow fake. So it's yeah, it's not always convincing. And and look, some of them can be close. But it wouldn't even have occurred to me to do something like this, you know. It's funny some people just think that way. So yeah, that was an interesting one.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's going to happen. Stuff like that's going to happen more and more, isn't it. How do we use this technology to shaft people, to embezzle, to you know, create some kind of unfair advantage you know, Yeah, that's gonna it's not going away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's that's a thing now.
Speaker 3: Crago yep, And I look, there were there's been a twenty nine percent increase in fraud reported, you know, according to this particular report by Alliance and and so it's happening a lot more. And they talked about a van and they showed a picture of this van free Ai and post Ai and the person have created a dint in the in the side of the car.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's it's a thing. Are we giving people bad bad ideas? Though?
Speaker 4: I think the ideas were already out there?
Speaker 2: Okay, good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to know why Pizza Hut got fined two and a half million bucks.
Speaker 3: I know the I kind of feel that this is a very important message that the you know that the authorities are dishing out to companies like this, Oh, dishing out like a pizza.
Speaker 4: No pun intended when you said that, I thought of that.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, can you get spam on a pizza?
Speaker 4: Oh? Tish book?
Speaker 2: It's getting, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I don't think you want like our our older folk, our older listeners know what spam is, but probably our forty and under brigade they wouldn't know what spam is.
Speaker 3: Patrick, Yeah, so spam in a can that was just I don't know what the meat. Well, I don't think anybody knows what's inside spam. They put it in a can and you can make a boot out of it.
Speaker 4: Sp I think let's just say it was ham.
Speaker 2: Ishh Yeah, any part.
Speaker 4: In that it was in the neighborhood of ham.
Speaker 2: I think snouts and assholes is probably.
Speaker 1: You know, but I think I think I'll tell you what it was. It was like a canful of salt. It was a saltier shit you've ever tasted. They probably put all that salt in there to kill.
Speaker 3: The taste, yeah, and also keep it going. Didn't they use it during Wasn't it developed for World War II or something?
Speaker 2: I thought I think it was troops.
Speaker 4: I think like fair bit of fat, fair bit of salt.
Speaker 1: Probably if you're in the middle of nowhere and trying to stay alive.
Speaker 4: Who knows, I mean, anything would taste pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So in Australia, the Communications and Media Authority, the ACMA, they investigate complaints when people receive unsolicited emails or texts and you don't have an ability to be able to opt out. So it's laura in Australia. If you get a bulk email sent to you or a bulk ten and you try to opt out and you can't, then the company's doing.
Speaker 2: That is at fault.
Speaker 3: And evidently in this particular instance, it was reported that ten million spam marketing text and emails were sent out in four months time, and people were trying to unsubscribe to stop receiving them and they couldn't so and then another four point three million marketing messages was sent out without the option to unsubscribe. So it sends a really clear message that you know, country, countries, companies know these laws.
Speaker 2: These laws have been around for a long time now.
Speaker 3: So I just thought it would be an interesting one to mention that, you know, if you're receiving unsolicited emails and you want to dub somebody in for doing it, gee, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: The find's pretty big, can.
Speaker 1: I'd tell you something in the same ballpark. So I'm not going to say what company. But I had this kind of what do you call the computer protectiony stuff?
Speaker 4: What do you call that?
Speaker 2: Any virus?
Speaker 4: Antivirus? Thank you Patrick.
Speaker 1: So I had that installed I won't say what company, and it like every eight minutes it would pop up with whatever, right, and then it ran out and I decided to go with something else and this one that ran out to try to get that out of my fucking computer. It was like it was a virus, like it would not go away. I tried to uninstall it, or I did what I thought uninstall it. I followed the YouTube video, I uninstalled it, and then it was back and it kept going, you're expired. You need to do this, you need to do that.
Speaker 4: If you don't do this, like the world's going to blow up and we're going to you know.
Speaker 1: It's like, in the end, it was more of a problem than the fucking viruses I was trying to protect myself from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so a lot of laptop and computer companies do deals with these antivirus companies, starting with Mac.
Speaker 2: I think probably is the one you're thinking of a fee McAfee. Sorry, I just had something caught in my throat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: It's not unusual to have the anti virus installed, but it's only a limited trial for say, thirty thirty days, and it is really painful trying to get rid of it, and it is I'm really impressed that you did a YouTube and jumped on there and tried.
Speaker 2: To get rid of it yourself, Craigi. I thought that was very impressive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought I'd done it, and then about twenty minutes later, it was back, and then I had to get the actual smart person in the organization to come over and do it. Liza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she came over and did it in thirteen seconds and looked at me quizzically.
Speaker 2: And she uses a Mac. Oh are you on a Mac as well?
Speaker 4: I'm not on a Mac, so it wasn't that brand, you said, But I don't want to say it on air because I feel like they might hijack me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 3: It's interesting while you're talking about that at the moment, Dell has put out a warning just recently in the last few days because they had a data breach and they believe forty nine million customers may have had information and that that's now gone onto the dark web, and that's potentially Yeah, this could be serious for a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Nine million. I mean, how does.
Speaker 1: How did they ever compensate for that? Because it's like it's almost unknowable, like the potential and I'm sure the vast majority of people would be fine, but I mean, even if it was one percent of forty nine million, that's four hundred and ninety thousand people. That's half a million people, give or take. I mean, yeah, that's that's the scary thing. Now when other when people that don't have your best interests at heart have got access to all your shit, that makes me nervous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, one of the things they're saying is that it could be as much as the name of the buyer, the company named the address. So there's quite a few markers that are very specific to the individual customer, and that's one of the problems. And you know, things like your name and your physical address. That sort of stuff is really, you know, something that's quite problematic. But one of the things that you should do is go to the website of the vendor, if it happens to be in this case, Dell, and follow their instructions and suggestions. But the first thing you need to do is go and change your password. Absolute first thing you do. Now, I haven't had a Dell computer for quite a few years, but that was the first thing I did was jump in and see if I still had a Dell account and if there was a password, and I generated a new password just in case. That was one of the first things. And also two factor authentication. You might have seen it written down as two FA that's another thing that you can do. Make sure then that two factor authentication means that before you can sign in, you have to either have a second factor authentication, either a text message or an email get sent to you with a code and then you put the code in. So it's not enough just to have the password. You need that factor code to then pull it there as well. It's a pain, but it's a level of security as well.
Speaker 1: I saw this real today, mate, and a guy was I don't know if it was. It was like a little almost like a road test of a product. This guy was sitting in what looked to be a cafe. There was lots of people around. He was talking and we could hear what he was hearing. He had like this thing in his ear, and then he said.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He gave some instruction to cut out the background noise and just to focus on one person across the table. Took out all the noise except this bloke's voice, and then you could clearly hear what he was saying, except he was speaking in Spanish, and then he said, now converted into English. So all of a sudden, all the noise in the room has gone, or you know, it's gone from a ten to or one, and now we can hear clearly hear this guy, and then we then it gets translated in pretty much real time into English, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes you feel sad that we don't have a Cold war and spies anymore, because that.
Speaker 2: Would have been really handy, wouldn't it.
Speaker 4: Ah, Yeah, I'm pretty sure we do have spies. I'm pretty sure there.
Speaker 3: Are still shout out to everybody at AISIO.
Speaker 1: I'm going to show my age here because I read the one of the titles of one of your kind of articles or one of your discussion points under social media, and it says young people share their experience of being doxed. I don't know what dost means.
Speaker 3: This is actually a bit of bit insidious. This it's a terrible thing to do to somebody. It's where online. Okay, we'll give an example. You're online gaming and you have a bit of an altercation with someone because quite often online gamers can talk to each other and someone takes a dislike to you. But then they get your personal details, your address, and then they start sending pizza delivery people to your house. And we're not talking one person, we're talking fifty people. So suddenly you're getting packages delivered to your house. You're getting pizzas delivered to your house, and it could be amazingly distressing. This happened to a guy who was only seventeen and his whole family was thrown in a curveball here and it meant that, you know, he got into an argument online playing a game called Call of Duty, and then for about three or four weeks he kept getting you know, uber eats and pizzas and it says sometimes fifty times a day, and that's what it is. It's a really malicious thing people can do. I mean, I always get distressed when people the keyboard warriors, you know, people who are so tough behind the keyboard, and they wouldn't say if you wouldn't do it in real life if you don't think about it. And look, there's always going to be people out there who'll do this sort of stuff. But yeah, so that's what dosing is. But as you can imagine, the whole family would have been pretty distressed about this sort of thing happen.
Speaker 1: I wonder what the solution to this is for the food companies or the restaurants or because you think about you you could ring up. I mean, I live on a street with fifty restaurants. You've taken cafes. I could ring up the pizza joint that's one hundred and eighty meters away and order ten pizzas. As long as I give them an address and a phone number, they're going to make the ten pizzas.
Speaker 2: Look, I think the only way to get around that is for people to prepay and to say I mean, at the end of the day, if someone sends me a pizza and it's been paid for, I'm not too concerned.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I mean, look, it's you know, the society is breaking down when people start sending a kilo and a half of coins in the mail.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just kidding.
Speaker 4: Yeah. By the way, Patrick's home address for the Federal Police if you're listening, he's in Milan. I don't know the exact address.
Speaker 1: It just occurred to me that if all of our listeners sent Patrick five dollars each, I will match that with whatever we come up with.
Speaker 2: It's greg that's a great idea.
Speaker 1: You're an idiot. Stop that was fake me. That wasn't really everyone that. By the way, fake me is way too.
Speaker 2: Polite, you reckon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, fake.
Speaker 1: Me is too articulate and nice. I really need to apologize. I was going to do a tai chi class with Patrick, but I weaseled my way out of it. There's no apology, there's just relief.
Speaker 2: You're right. Actually yeah, it's just relief.
Speaker 4: Like fake me, fake me doesn't know real me because fake me he would know. Fake me should know that. Real me would never apologize for that.
Speaker 1: Of course you were. I'm always wrong and you are one hundred percent right all the time. You wish, all right, take us home with something. Just round this bad boy up if you could.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you want to get rid of me.
Speaker 4: No, you can do it.
Speaker 1: For as long as I just realized. You know why we've gotten through a lot in a short time. I don't want to say it's tiff, but it's tiff. It's there's a a big conversational whole.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: There's some researchers here in Australia have been looking at how children are being educated and they're saying that children produce better pieces of writing by hand, so their ability to learn and at a certain age. So we're talking say grade one and grade two if they are still writing. And this is where education sytem in Australia is being praised because when you're writing, you're singularly focused on what you're doing is spelling every single letter. You're writing out every single letter, and it's a much a better way to focus and to be able to get kids.
Speaker 2: To do that.
Speaker 3: And I thought, isn't that great that handwriting is such a good thing for young people and that we still doing. Obviously keyboard skills are imperative for kids as they're getting older, but certainly at a younger age they're saying, your handwriting is really, really good. I've got friends of mine who live around the corner from you. I just gave their fourteen year old a fountain pin because he was telling likes to write, and so it's great. It was funny because I went over to their place a few weeks ago and his fingers were blue. The bed leaked.
Speaker 2: I'm so dodgy. Was that an expensive one to start off with?
Speaker 4: You know? It? Never? I mean, I don't know about you. A couple of things.
Speaker 1: Here, but we we had to use fountain pens like we had in the old days. We had like we didn't dip it in a bloody thing of ink, but they had these ink cartridges and we.
Speaker 4: Had to write. Is it called cursive right where all the letters are connected?
Speaker 2: Seriously? Yeah, of course I still write cursive, do you? Yeah? With the fountain?
Speaker 4: Are you? And are you my mum? Are you an eighty five year.
Speaker 2: Old writing with a fountain pen?
Speaker 3: I actually have a beautiful mont Blanc fountain pen that I write with every day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's clearly.
Speaker 2: I feel like I need to write you a letter.
Speaker 4: I feel for fuck your letter. Don't send me a letter. Fuck you know you're so weird. It's so weird. Hey, but I never thought about the fact that.
Speaker 1: Kids might soon stop writing. Like when you see like literally two year olds, three year olds using computers, tablets, phones, whatever and typing and navigating a keyboard, then I wonder if I wonder if there's going to be a time in the near future. You know what, he just took off and took his headphone off. So are you going to pretend that you know what I'm talking about? Now?
Speaker 3: I had Fritz was trying to get out of the office, and I thought, I hobe he might need to go to the toilet or something.
Speaker 1: So I hope he did a big dump on your fucking sofa. Hey, I was just saying, before you took rudely, I wish I had some fake Patrick, don't look at you. What Yeah, you're trying to find some more fake me. I was just saying, I wonder if we're going to get to a time in the near future where kids don't actually learn to write with pen and pencil anymore, because we don't need it.
Speaker 4: The world doesn't need.
Speaker 2: That, not in Australia.
Speaker 3: Evidently that's still a core part of our teaching, which is great.
Speaker 1: I know it is now, but I wonder if it'll be in ten years. Like we're trying to eradicate paper. We're already almost a cashless society.
Speaker 3: But hasn't Tiff been using one of those tablets in a pen, because that's the other thing you can do. You can just have a tablet that you can write on. My laptop flips over and I have a little stylust so I can take notes and write them that way. You know, I'd played around with it for a little while. In fact, your last conference that you did, do you remember I went along to that and you had some great guests speakers. Well, I took that and making notes and I flipped the laptop over and I was writing my notes on the back of it.
Speaker 2: But it's not the same as having ink on a piece of paper.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, well, think about the trees, bro, think about the trees. Ah, tell people how they can come and break into your very unsecure house in Bland and do yoga with you and get you to build them all taichi, yoga pillarties, it's all the same. I really need to apologize. I was going to do a tai chie class with Patrick, but I weaseled my way out of it. Stop it, stop playing fake me. All right, I'm taking the piece everyone. They're definitely not the same thing. They're all boring.
Speaker 4: Oh, he's telling need to apologize.
Speaker 1: I was going to do a tai chie class with Patrick, but I weaseled my way out of it.
Speaker 4: There we go, yep, there we go.
Speaker 1: We say, dot dot com be what smelkod doubt that was supposed to be websites?
Speaker 3: Now dot com tod au. Maybe I have to put gaps in it.
Speaker 4: Go and type it in now, properly, Go and type it in. I'll talk while you're doing that and see if you can get it right this time.
Speaker 1: You really you've lowered your colors today.
Speaker 2: Isn't it. Well? You know the other thing is we normally do them earlier in the day.
Speaker 4: I don't mind. I don't mind five o'clock. It's five fifty and it's dark as fucking hand.
Speaker 2: It's it's well, it's pretty dark everywhere. I guess at the moment.
Speaker 1: Websites now, dot com dot a.
Speaker 2: Not really not really spell it phonetically.
Speaker 1: What if you just write ay dash you.
Speaker 3: That's so weird, that is so strange. I'm gonna have to play around with it. Look, we'll try one more time. I'm going to move a little of the sliders and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Sorry, now, dot com dot a you that's.
Speaker 2: In terrible yea website?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Can you perfect that before the next one? Patrick, this has been your worst effort. You're on your first warning and you're on thin ice.
Speaker 3: I'm not even going to you're gonna have you.
Speaker 1: No, you know, here's the beauty of your pay I can harbor or double it and you're still getting the same welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for that, mate, Thanks mate,