Speaker 1: We're at rapid fire questions Now every guest gets asked these. Shag, Mary Date, Kylie Minogue, Nicole Kibman or Ronda Birchmore.
Speaker 2: I've just got married. I managed six months in.
Speaker 3: Anthony Albanezi has with growing confidence, spent years trying to convince voters he's relatable.
Speaker 2: But if a ghost tips up, let's just pretend.
Speaker 3: Oh, Kylie clearly, But this week that confidence carried him somewhere the office of Prime Minister probably shouldn't go in Mary, Kylie and Shagger and data, all.
Speaker 2: Of the above. All right, it's a triple. She's terrific.
Speaker 3: The apology came quickly, then, as the Prime Minister turned to rugby league diplomacy in the Pacific, China tested a missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead. It was a week that meets swiftly from political embarrassment to regional unease and left Labour managing the Prime Minister's image at home and Australia's influence abroad. I'm Daniel James, and you're listening to seven AM today. Press gallery veteran Poor Joorno on a turbulent week for Anthony Alberzi, marked with missteps, a communication breakdown, and a focus on Pacific diplomacy in tumultuous geo political waters. It's Saturday, July eleven. Paul the PM started the week with an apology after some unfortunate comments on a comedy podcast. That's a rookie aera, isn't it. I mean, surely it's beyond the office of the PM. I mean, you don't eat an onion on camera. We all know this by now. But you also don't play shag Marry date, do you?
Speaker 2: Well, you certainly don't. I mean I really agree.
Speaker 3: I never thought i'd ask you a question like that.
Speaker 2: Well exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean Alberanizi prides himself on being able to be a relatable person talking to people off the piece, as it were, But to assume the persona of a sort of a Benny Hill smut comedian talking to Nicki Osborne, who by the way, calls herself Bushy and her podcast is called bush Deep, which is a you know, it's a sexual pun and the previous videos have had millions of views, so we all know sex cells. But is this really the message that the Prime Minister of Australia wants. It's not only beneath the Prime Minister. You'd think it's beneath any decent person.
Speaker 3: Frankly, this isn't the first time and any of you like this has gone wrong for the Prime minister. Earlier this year there was a running with an FM radio host say the possibility of a royal commission in the femicide.
Speaker 4: It's calls for royal commission about everything.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's the women are pretty paramount.
Speaker 1: But you've got to work out what does a royal commission do besides fun lawyers.
Speaker 3: Do Missteps like these leave him open to criticism for having a woman problem.
Speaker 4: Well, I look, it's a bit mystifying because as his defenders, I mean the acting Prime Minister, Miles and Tanya Plivasek. By the way, plibask wasn't told that Albanizi had put out an apology for his remarks in regard to shagging Kylie Minogue, but they were able to point to the record of the Albanesi government.
Speaker 5: So the Prime Minister nipped in the bud and apologize. Well, I haven't listened to the whole of the podcast. I just heard that excerpt that you played then. But what I'd say on women's equality in this country is that no government's been better for it.
Speaker 4: It has the biggest representation of women, not only on its backbench, but half of the cabinet is women. It's done more for gender equity and pay equity than any other government, which makes.
Speaker 2: It all the more mystifying.
Speaker 4: Why you'd want to send out an image that runs counter to that sensibility.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess you could see why Albai does want to do these less serious interviews. Man, we're talking always talking about our politicians wanting them to be more.
Speaker 2: Real, more relatable.
Speaker 3: But do you think that it's worth the risk for the PM?
Speaker 4: We would be that he and his staff should vet these podcasts. You know who's doing them, why are they doing them, and what are the risks? I mean even Nicky Osborne herself said that the Prime Minister took a big risk but gave her comedy goal.
Speaker 3: A certainly good publicity at the very least exactly.
Speaker 4: But look, Albaneze's a pig headed when it comes to all of this. He's very confident that he can handle any situation, but it does seem that the context got away from him.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: He also in the podcast tells Nicky Osborne that it's very rare for him to let any media into the lodge. They're in the sitting room of the lodge and was clearly set up. I mean, for example, not only did she come in her persona as Bushy, but they had two fingers of whiskey each to share. You know, this sort of innuendos going all the way through it, talking about his sex life, talking about the Prime Minister of Japan's melons, you know, all this sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: The Japanese Prime Minister brought a melon? How did you get that through custom?
Speaker 1: She at a royal melon.
Speaker 3: She smuggled it was a she shed, she smuggle it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I got a couple of melons. She brought two. She brought too, as you do. She just came in looking like Pamela r Anders. She brought to yes, and they're beautiful.
Speaker 4: Someone should have said, and maybe ALBANIZI should have said, oh what am I doing here? And if I don't play along, I might look like a stuffed shirt? And is there any way out for me other than to say lovely to meet you, Nikki, goodbye?
Speaker 3: Coming up meetings and missiles in the Pacific.
Speaker 2: Paul.
Speaker 3: This week the PAM was doing security deals without specific neighbors. You called it Rugula League diplomacy. How significant were those meetings?
Speaker 2: Well? Though very significant.
Speaker 4: In fact, the Albanese government since it came to power has done more than merely repair the neglect of the Morrison government. It has filled a void really that the Americans have left to the soft diplomacy of China over the past decade.
Speaker 2: And it has forged a.
Speaker 4: New treaty with Fiji which was signed during the week, which is of the same ilk as the Ans treaty, namely, and we've got one now with Papua New Guinea as well, that if either of these nations are attacked by a third force, then we will come to their aid, which raises the question how which I must say that while the opposition actually supports everything the government's doing in the South Pacific, James Patterson, the Shadow Defense Minister, did wonder whether we had the missiles and the equipment two come to anybody's aid, or even our own aid. If a missile like the one tested by the Chinese was aimed at Sydney or Melbourne.
Speaker 1: I think it's right to call it provocative. I think it's right to call it destabilizing. I'd also say it's coercive and intimidatory, and I think it is designed to threaten Pacific island nations in particular and intimidate them. And it's about demonstrating China's capabilities military capabilities which are very formidable. But I think the People's Republic of China should think very carefully about the long term consequence of this.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about that, because during his meetings in the Pacific, China launched a missile test with a missile that was capable of carrying a nuclear warhead. Was there any connection between the test and the meetings? Do you think it was aimed at sending Australia and the island nations a message?
Speaker 4: Well, look, there's conflicting views about this. Government insiders I spoke to have absolutely no doubt that this was a message not only to Australia but to Pacific island nations that China is around and by the way, where to be taken seriously. Now, the Prime Minister said it was disruptive of the region. The Opposition took a harder line and they said it was China intimidating the region. Which is interestingly the Prime Minister of the Solomons actually agrees with James Patterson when he says China was trying to intimidate us. It's not the action of a friend and we will not be intimidated.
Speaker 2: There's a very interesting.
Speaker 4: View which I hadn't appreciated until I spoke to Sam Rogaven from the Lower Institute, who's a security expert.
Speaker 2: He actually agrees.
Speaker 4: And accepts the explanation of the Chinese Foreign Ministry that this test was routine and according with international law. He says that what happens with nuclear armed states and submarines they test their weapons, which are reactive weapons. They are defensive to be fired in terms of if there's any nuclear attack on the mainland or on Chinese assets or American assets. And Rogavin pointed out in the past twelve months alone, the Americans have carried out four of these tests in their Pacific ballistic testing range, while the Prime Minister of the solomon says, in fact, the Pacific island nations don't want anybody testingstic missiles in the Pacific. There are critics I was reading yesterday in New Zealand that say that Australia New Zealand and some of the Pacific islands a bit too faced about this. They don't criticize America doing exactly what they criticized China for, and under successive governments, now Australia's basically become a military outpost of the United States.
Speaker 3: I guess when we're talking about the reaction from the opposition, do you think the opposition stands on net zero and leaning into one nation type rhetoric over monoculture as they are at the moment, Should the government be highlighting its ability to engage with our Pacific neighbors as a real point of difference between itself and the other side of politics.
Speaker 4: Well, Deniel, I think it's it's very important that the Australian government to deal with the Pacific island nations according to its own policies on a whole range of key issues. And I think what has been overlooked in some of the reporting very high up. In fact, in a key passage of the treaty between Australia and Fiji, the document says that climate change quote is the single greatest threat to the livelihood's security and well being of Pacific peoples. Sidevani Rambuka the Prime Minister of Fiji actually pointed out that climate change is an existential and present threat to these nations and they are looking for not only Australia but the rest of the world community to take more notice and to treat the issue with more urgency.
Speaker 2: And that of course is a real split.
Speaker 4: Or fisher between the policies of the Australian Labor government and the Liberal National Party opposition. And by the way, also one nation who actually thinks that climate change science is a joke and a hoax quote unquote.
Speaker 3: There's also a practical bit in the agreement that says Australia and Vanawati plan to work together on renewable energy, renewable power for Vaniwati's communities, wasn't there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: I mean they're looking for support from Australia and they're getting it.
Speaker 5: All.
Speaker 3: This comes Paul at a time when Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is in Australia for the annual meeting with our Prime Minister. How significant is our relationship with India becoming, particularly during such an unstable time in global politics.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting.
Speaker 4: India is, of course the largest democracy in the world. But people forget that India was always during the Cold War non aligned, and even now it takes a more non aligned stance and for example does not share Australia's view of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. So there is this, in a sense, almost to disconnect. However, we can't ignore India for several reasons. One is because it's such a huge place and an emerging major economy. But there is also now a very big people to people connection between India and Australia, with the Indian diasper getting close to overtaking the Chinese diasper, with something close to a million Indians now making Australia home. In fact, while Moody was in Melbourne this week, he held a big rally in Marvel Stadium where he addressed them not in English, Paul Nansen, but in Hindi.
Speaker 3: Before I let's go, Paul. The Tawstra adage this week was very quickly politicized by the Coalition saying Labour needs to take urgent action about this and Holtalco's to account. Labour tried to make it about Liberal Senator Sarah Henderson Stunt after she made a test call to Triple zero. But following the optics adage and now this with Taulstra, is this a serious issue for the government having so many of our essential ser linked to private talco operators.
Speaker 4: Well, it certainly is, But I suspect that horse has bolted. But you'd have to say, what's going on. I mean, a lot of people went back to Telstra after the optics situation, and Vodafone had earlier issues. It seemed to have sorted them all out. But I think the government is certainly on notice after this Telstra outage that it has to be seen to be taking this very seriously. Indeed, now there is no doubt that the opposition, particularly Sarah Henderson, the Shadow Minister in this area of communications.
Speaker 2: Was quick and rushed to politicize it.
Speaker 4: But you know that even when a strident critic like Henderson speaks out and maybe she shouldn't have made her own test calls to triple zero, in fact that there's a suggestion she might have broken the law in doing it, she has I think pinpointed a real and urgent crisis that needs to be addressed by the government.
Speaker 3: Paul, You've got one number. You can call me anytime. Thanks once again, for me on a seven am.
Speaker 2: Good on you. Daniel by.
Speaker 3: Seven Am is a daily show from Solstice Media. It's made by Aria Richards, Adigas Basto, Chris, Danegate, Crystal Keller, Renee Auckland, Ruby Jones, Travis Evans, Zoltenfecho Jr. And Me Daniel James. Our theme music is by Ned Beckley and Josh Hogan of Envelo Bordio. Thanks for listening to seven Am this week. Have a great weekend.