Speaker 1: Apod Shape production.
Speaker 2: We'll come back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mom?
Speaker 1: Podcast?
Speaker 2: It's the question we constantly asked three times a week, am I a bad mum? Sometimes we are no all the time, all the time.
Speaker 3: We've been through some stuff this last week, and I can tell you my parenting really got stretched. And I think I say this once a week, maybe on a podcast, saying my parentings really stretch. You know when they say, like really hard situations they help you grow.
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think it took my really tight situation and then just constricted it even more.
Speaker 4: I was like, supper, well, you love That's how I felt.
Speaker 2: You lost power at your house because of the side.
Speaker 3: So Brisbane was looking like it was going to get its first cyclone in like fifty years or something, and so then we all got told to go home and don't go anywhere. And we know how I cope with those situations clearly not well, I love it, you love it. I checked in so many times with you. Thriving would be the word.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Although I didn't see trackies, I was disappointed that nothing more happened, Like I was making stupid videos about the fact that there was no cyclone, like where is it? I had battery lights all prepared, all on the side, everything from outside was inside.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did all that.
Speaker 2: Everything was tied down, everything was charged, laptops, phones, everything, ice in the eski, plenty of water, like I.
Speaker 1: Did it, you did it all. I wanted at least bottle hours.
Speaker 2: I wanted at least a couple of hours in one room, scared.
Speaker 4: I'm going through a tornado.
Speaker 1: And that didn't really happen.
Speaker 2: And then the next day I start getting water all coming through the ceiling. I was like, this is Calma, this is karma for me making ship of videos and taking the piss out of cycle and Alfred.
Speaker 3: I think there was a lot of people doing that, and there was like I think it was like Thursdays, go home and lock down, and so we did it all, and we, you know, like everyone panic brought out the whole entire Ida. I'm not sure why, but Thursday, then Friday, and then Saturday morning, I think Friday night and Saturday morning it said it's crossland, It's reached us.
Speaker 4: So everyone went, what a fizzer.
Speaker 3: And by this stage, like I've been inside with my kids, like Thursday and Friday and now Saturday, like I've gone nuts by now. So on Saturday I went into my gym. I was like, well, I can't do anything else. I'm just going to move all the furniture back outside to move the basketball ring up.
Speaker 4: I'm going to do all of that.
Speaker 3: And then Saturday night, eight pm it was like a World War three zone. I know that every area of Brisbane got hit so differently, but where we were we got belted with the Saturday night storm slash leftover of cyclone. We had trees down, we lost power, we lost phone service, no hot water because as the result of that. So then luckily We've got gas on the barbecue, so I'm cooking every meal on the barbecue. But it was like my kids had worms all of a sudden because Mum's really out of a comfort zone. We can see she's so far out. I'm going to make a cook all day on the barbecue.
Speaker 4: Honestly, Katie. And then I come in and I have like, Elsie, can I just talk to your mom? I'm thinking, what do you want to talk to me about?
Speaker 3: And she was like, oh so I and then it voice starts to crack. I accidentally did something and I was like accidentally did what I accidentally. Didn't mean to didn't mean too, mum, It was just accident put my foot through the wall, through the wall.
Speaker 4: I did a flip on the mattress and put my foot through the launde room wall. I'm really sorry, like through.
Speaker 1: The plaster board. It's this big in my laundroom.
Speaker 3: Her foot, because she's not got a small foot, has just gone.
Speaker 4: There's a hole in my wall.
Speaker 1: And that is a big job, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Because I don't have to repair the hole, And then don't you have to like repaint the.
Speaker 4: Whole wall you have to Probably, yeah, I imagine. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've never done it, but I just loved the whole idea that she said.
Speaker 4: I accidentally did it.
Speaker 3: It really wasn't on purpose, and I just needed to do the flip, but I just didn't think I was going to hit the wall. So then therefore, as a parent, I'm just meant to go, that's okay, darling.
Speaker 2: My go to immediately is what the hell were you doing a flip there? For be careful because kids don't give a shit about our things or what we've paid for or the house.
Speaker 1: They can't care less.
Speaker 3: Just on a note to that, though, I did get a funny reply from one of our amazing podcast family Online saying.
Speaker 4: Well, I could top this one.
Speaker 3: My son and his girlfriend in their bedroom antics put someone's head through a wall whilst having sex. That one's really awkward to come across as a parent. Oh okay, all right, I'll wear that.
Speaker 1: She wins, She wins.
Speaker 4: Am I a bad mum for ticking all the boxes?
Speaker 3: This will really like set the scene for you. When your kid goes off to camp. You get a checklist and it has the little tick. Yeah, so then we think, as parents, were like nailing this, done it all.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: If they go to camp and it never fits in the bag.
Speaker 3: Don't even get me started on why you take them on a camp when they have to take pretty much the whole bedroom with them on the camp, So that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 4: Just leave them at home.
Speaker 3: So I ticked all the boxes, did all that. Now this was her last camp, so this would have been the last year. And I did all the ticking, all the boxes went off Kmart got all the things that I thought that I didn't have, you know, like things like rain jackets.
Speaker 4: Like I feel really good. Ticked all the boxes.
Speaker 3: My child's going well prepared, if not too prepared, for every situation. She comes home from that camp, still gets sick, still gets a cold.
Speaker 4: Standard. Now we fast forward.
Speaker 3: To a cyclone and I'm going fucking stir crazy.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, what am I gonna do?
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna put a rain jacket on because I found her rain jacket that I ticked all the boxes with, sent.
Speaker 4: Her off to camp with, thinking I'm a good mum.
Speaker 3: And then I put this thing on because I find it, and I wanted to walk down to the creek to check how far up the creek was. I was wandering down there and I'm thinking, oh, look at me, got.
Speaker 4: A rain jacket. I'm so prepared.
Speaker 3: I come back now, this is not a big I'm literally down the hill, looked around. Oh yeah, this is pretty hectic. It's getting pretty spicy down here. Come back up. I would say a maximum of ten minutes in the rain in a rain jacket. Yeah, dry, Dry as a bone, Katie. No, I was fucking drenched. I was drenched. I sent you a video. I think I put a video up on my Socialist. I was soaked, my hair was soaked.
Speaker 2: I'm drenched, and I'm going.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I sent my child off to camp with a rain jacket that doesn't fucking work. What a loser of a mom? Like this is so bad. I just in my head, I was beating myself up going here. I am thinking, yep, look at me go nailing life. Child comes home with cold, that's normal. No, it's because she's been out in the rain in a rain jacket that doesn't work.
Speaker 4: They're selling false items.
Speaker 1: But is it sold as a rain jacket?
Speaker 4: Okay, so this was the day before. Okay, I did go out in the rain.
Speaker 3: I got one of Sam's out of the cupboard and was like, oh, it just feels like feels like.
Speaker 4: A rain jacket. And I went out and did a few things and I had to come home. I was drenched again.
Speaker 3: I was like, these fucking jackets. He goes, that's a spray jacket, you idiot.
Speaker 1: What's a spray jacket?
Speaker 3: Like, what does that mean? He goes, it's not waterproof, it's not a rain jacket. It's a spray jacket.
Speaker 1: What's it for?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 2: I don't know what's the purpose of a spray jacket, because I also I don't know I had a rain jacket. After all the chaos had settled down a little bit. But we've been in the house for a few days and I said to the girls, were going for a walk.
Speaker 1: They went, no, we're not. I said, you're coming.
Speaker 4: For a walk.
Speaker 2: Like the effort it took for me to get them out of the house.
Speaker 1: Emelia was still no.
Speaker 2: I'm not coming. I won't put your rain jacket on. You are coming. Start threatening. If you don't come for a walk, you're not watching anything tonight. Band honestly rage. You should have seen their faces as they're walking. I was like, oh, you're just loving it on element that like, look like faces have done. They're absolutely hating it.
Speaker 1: Why are we walking in the rain? It's beautiful nature. It makes you.
Speaker 2: Feel good stepping over fallen trees. I too, was in a rain jacket. I thought it was a rain jacket has a hood.
Speaker 4: But also it feels a bit rain jackety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thin doesn't fucking work.
Speaker 2: I was absolutely soaked in it, and then it really baffled me because I was like, what is the purpose of this jacket?
Speaker 1: Why does it have a.
Speaker 2: Hood if it doesn't keep you dry? It's so thin, it's not a jacket you'd wear in winter. It doesn't keep you warm. No, what's the purpose of it.
Speaker 4: I think maybe like a light spray of something.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe if someone could like a hair spray like it and just spray, do you on it?
Speaker 2: You'd still be That's what the jacket protects you. If someone's hair spray, that's what the.
Speaker 3: Hairdressers and you're sitting there and they're just like a little trigger on their hairspray. You're like, Okay, it's all right. I've got a spray jacket on. Don't worry about this guy. It's got a spray jacket on, all covered.
Speaker 2: They're like, you'd wear that in there, and you want me to hang up your jacket. No, no, it's not a rain jacket. It's a spray jacket. I can take that fee your hair spray.
Speaker 4: Prepared for every situation in this hairdressing.
Speaker 3: SOE feedback on my socials, I had a lot of responses from a lot of moms going, oh my god, I sent.
Speaker 4: My kid to camp with the same jacket. I was like, yeah, well, guess what. Brown doesn't work. So we're all in the same boat here.
Speaker 2: There's a whole bunch of mums now that are not using those as rain jackets, but they're all sending their kids to the hairdressers just to get some use out of it.