Speaker 1: We're back. It's been a hot minute, boys, it has been been more than a minute.
Speaker 2: It certainly has been. I can't remember the last time this one went up, and I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: Sixth of Journe Tommy was our last episode. We've had a pretty full on five months, and I reckon we should be set in the stage with kind of what's been what's been going on, and have been navigating all the stuff on there on the outside. You guys have seen a lot we've been absent on the podcast. Why don't we kind of give a bit of a download. Lockie, Well, you had one job to introduce it, and you didn't even intro. You didn't say what podcast number we're up to. We're like a jo authority on air. No no, no where, Joe robe Tom's in condfirm. I literally said, who is introing? And Carl said I will, And he's done nothing but say it's a hot minute. Now we're just gonna we're just gonna assume like everyone knows who we are. So what episode are we at? We're one eight one, one eighty one. That's pretty impressive with six month hiatus. Yes we have, Yes, so we're back and on the podcast today we have Karl sitting opposite Lucky and Tommy as well, so all three obviously our podcast host, Jordi has left us a few months ago and it's taken a while for us to get back into it. But we're back and we've obviously we've certainly decided that this has got to be a priority for us over the next couple of weeks and months. But we're back. Well, we've been wanting to do this from day one since Jordie left, but we've just had some important priorities, haven't we massively? Massively? Why don't we start there, Locke, If we go back to our last episode in June, where do you see the company? What are our challenges? Well, I think June, I think you've said one eight zero was me and George having a chat, and I think right then was myself at the time stepping away from Swift's. That was the last little stint of Swifts, which was unreal. We hired a great man in James Begley to take over in the Strength editioning role. Lucky for me, I'm still involved in them from a consultancy standpoint, and a shout out to my work wife Danny Mace. She obviously didn't want to lose me, so she's kept me around, which is great, But it's certainly a priority that we decided that we wanted to double down a little bit more with a lot more education work, a lot more PD work as well. And to be honest, me stepping away there probably timed it quite well because it means that I can be around for well. The man next to me, Tommy stepping away or at least down regulating his attendance here, so he'll be stepping away from header performance and congratulations on the new role with the Rabbit O's mate. Well done. We'll delve into that a little a little bit sooner. But obviously Jordie leaving as well to spread his wings. The entrepreneurial man he is, obviously even I was having a bee with him on Sunday and he was showing me his sports science set up in his kitchen. Yeah what him and may have got a full Volve suite in the kitchen plus so talking about practice what you preach, certainly got everything there. So he's obviously getting stuck into some really good one on one field sessions. He's been prioritizing he's certainly learned to learn to love the speed and agility side of things over the past few months, if not years, so that's been going well. Obvious he's kicked off his own podcast as well coached give a shout out there. And then we've had Brendan who has progressed over to the EPL side of things with the wolver Hampton Wolverhampton Wolves. I'm not a massive EPL man, but I believe that is their name, and obviously loving loving the role there is in an interesting town so to speak, there's not a lot to do there, but certainly enjoying himself with the role.
Speaker 3: Everyone who knows Brenda like that's his dream role.
Speaker 1: You know, he's massive.
Speaker 2: He's living out his dream and although that Wolverhampton probably doesn't have the most exciting things going on the fact that Brenda gets to go and go to soccer every day foot Paul I should say he will be absolutely in his elements, which is great to stoke stoke for Brendo and yeah, I'm sure he's going to go.
Speaker 3: You know, he's going to go fantastically over there.
Speaker 1: We're We're still have two more. We had Juzzy with Justin Richardson head to the war Atars, so he's officially at the Tars. Still can't work out if his strength condition coach or Phisio there, but a little bit of both, mate, Yeah, refer to LinkedIn or instagrant I get updated, lare on LinkedIn than anything. So he's been effectively the rehab Phisio there, I believe is his sort of day in, day out title, which which is fantastic. So getting down and dirty there, so good luck to him as well. Obviously doesn't move or leave Sydney like if you've been playing at home. He did predict he was leaving Sydney about eight months ago. I believe the flight's still booked in Jaen just in case something comes up, But now he's actually staying in Sydney.
Speaker 3: We has left Sydney, but it was more for the rehab conference and it's.
Speaker 1: Got some time. Ye are you right? You're spot on. He probably used the frequent flies, but also I don't know if he's going to leave his new partner as well. They're obviously the world we got to we've got to get our followers back, the deeper meaningful stuff and.
Speaker 3: The old big brother after hours.
Speaker 1: So contexted he did have a relationship breakup which probably sparked you know, him needing a change of scenery. He wanted to travel to the UK, get a role in the UK and start afresh, which you know, we've all been there and had a relationship breakup and wanted to reassess our situation. But I think he quickly fell into another relationship which has grounded him a bit more back in Sydney Classic but maybe we need to We'll get him on the podcast. Yeah, he can explain it, he can defend himself exactly. And our final one recently obviously last week, last week, last week, last week Sabrina. So she has nested herself for a role with the Eneral Bulldogs and eral w and she goes on to the profertional world as well, which is for her being a big dream. So you know, we wish her well and congratulations, but can't help a feel like we're just we're just breeding coaches for other people at this stage. So so hopefully.
Speaker 2: I think that's a really exciting thing though lots, and I think something that maybe those listeners and those that are not associated with the brand, you know, you see a bit of movement or whatever from the outside. But I think it's so exciting that for us as a brand that we're finally breeding, you know, quality coaches that are making the step in a professional sport. You know, I can speak for myself, and it is a hard jump to make, as we know. You know, you and I have often spoke about we know where the private sector is at. We know how strong it is and what it does for a coach's ability both on the gym floor, managing athletes and everything that goes with that. But you know, I think from that real sort of viewpoint of professional sport, it's probably struggled to be seen at the same level. But I finally feel like that tide's turning. I'm really proud to say that our company is been a really big driver of that. And I think, if you know, I think professional sport and the landscape in Australia is going to be a far better place with a strong private sector because people can jump between and you know, it's not just about the logo there. Then you know they're able to jump between the private sector and know that they're going to get really good strength and conditioning, can be really good practitioners.
Speaker 3: I think he's only beneficial for everyone involved.
Speaker 1: Right, and to add context to that before we delve into probably the internal side of it where we're at now. I say this a lot to people around, but if we use just as an example, day in day out, his list would be approximately forty rehab athletes that he's coaching on the field, he's coaching on the gym floor, he's programming for, he's treating, he's writing longer term programs and timelines for, and then he transitions into professional sport and he's doing all the same things. But the rehab list, well, if you're unlucky, he's twelve. But if we take an average of that team sport environment around the seven mark, so we've had it before.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Alan Robinson was the same who went to Wartas and really found that that shift from what we do into the pro sport actually easier. There's otherly over prepare people for prosport, and there's other things to do with pro sport. We can travel all these expectations and probably more pressure, I'll admit that, but ultimately management of long term rehab and the x's and o's of what you do as a rehab coach, and will refer back to strength editioning coach as well, same premise that they're so well prepared for it that that doesn't even need to be an issue for the skill set's there. It's it's then just adapting to that professional environment, which which can be done very quickly. That's maybe a nice segue. We've been intentionally quiet about how we've navigated this time, you know, from the outside looking in, and I certainly received a lot of messages and DMS emails from concerned gim owners whatever it might be, Hey, what's going on at AA you know, or you're great staff for leaving. It's been a bit of a psychological reframe for us, hasn't it in easily feeling like we can go we're losing great people to this reframe of nowhere developing great people and that that needs to be something that we should be proud of, because there really hasn't been a viable alternative to pro sport as a pathway to athletic experience. And I think that's been big for us is to go no, we need to probably just champion this idea that that private sector needs to be a development pathway in a pro sport and we need to celebrate that rather than, you know, get down the dumb set we're developing but then losing great people. And I think I've said this too before, because I think I don't know who said it, I'm probably going to bastardize it. But the old adage of you know, what if we develop people and then they leave? Are that Socrates? And then is that Socrates? That sounds well earlier what if we develop people they leave? And then the other added is well what if you don't develop them and they stay? And for us, that's a big part that I would much prefer to where the problems that come with losing great staff that we have to replace rather than the far more adverse effect of not developing stuff and I'm staying and suddenly it's like, oh, our quality of staff are terrible. I'd much prefer to to push, push, push, you develop where you can. And obviously we like to think of it as an organic development where sometimes you're so close to them you don't realize how good they've gotten until they leave, and then you try and bring other people through and you're like, God, there's a fair gap. And that's not a bad thing, but that just shows that the development they get here, I think has been fantastic and now we face the next challenge of replacing good staff. And we're lucky enough that currently we've got great staff here, you know, as far as our coaches, We've got Alex Burger who's come on recently who's absolutely commanded our field program, killed it. He's with the Oli Rus. We've got Anthony SAMs has been here quite a few years now from our internship program, manage nor short or premiership this year. Probably should have done it last year as well, but the Norse Shall curse got him. And then Denzel's who's been running our lt A D program and probably over the past six months is has really elevated into some senior athletes and working with some international based athletes that has been doing fantastic jobs, so it's not hard for them to take up the slack. We obviously still need to replace our head of performance, and we will do that in good time, and we'll find a person that is as amazing as shoes are you tell me fourteen, Yeah, well, the shoes are hard to fill. One of the big realizations for me too, if between the three of us, you know, for everyone listening on, well, other three. Yeah, the three of us being the owners, I've probably managed this the the least well, I would say. But the big realization for me is that we probably also overweight the value in legacy experience, for example, you know, Juzzy being here for five years or Brendo being here for five years or whatever it might be, and underweight the value and the utility of a fresh perspective, you know. And I can draw on some examples there, Kalin, who's replaced Juzzy very different skill set, are also very competent in different ways and adding things to the rehab program that maybe wasn't Juzzy's strength, and vice versa. And so I think the big realization for me personally is that as much as it's important to secure great staff, being willing to let them move on to their next opportunity and then finding someone who can see it from a different lens can potentially be the thing that takes the company to another level. And you know, that's how we need to look at your role, Tommy. As hard as those shoes are to feel, perhaps a new lens is exactly what the company needs. And that's how we've almost got to see that. I know, for I'm sure where I'm sure not the only gym owners who have lost great people to new opportunities. And you know, to keep an open mind is probably really important for us to not to spare because I know that was definitely that's my proclivity, that is to worry too much. So I think that's been that's been really good for us because we're at the other end of it. I feel I think Mike Young, we've obviously athletically that he says, yeah, he wrote the code, and then every one of his staff just add to that code, and I think it's a great, little nerdy way to look at it. It's a great way to look at it that you know, ultimately what we start. He's sort of like HTML code. Is that what he means, Okay, go back to Walcross, But no, it is right, and I think you go, you know, so I couldn't let Carl go back.
Speaker 2: But I do think that every every staff member that's come in so far, you know, regardless of how long they've been here, whether it's been a small period or a long period, they've left the brand in a better place. And that's all we can ask for. And I think that you know, from a big picture of stuff. If we have staff that come in, they're going to offer opinions and see things through a different lens, which is fantastic. But the brand's just got to keep evolving. I think that's something that's happened really well that every staff member that's come in, you know, is left there. We all there little spin on it or there we'd all sort of you know, their own stamp on it, and it's made as better as a company. So you know, I think those that have sort of gone before and have you know, really helped develop, you know, they've left it in a really good spot for the for the next ones to take cover.
Speaker 1: We like Tommy, he's going to be known for his famous golf days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: I just relentless with our staff. Everyone look forward to to the golf days that that never happened happened. So that's that's maybe a And you know, we've spoken about how we've managed this transition with staff. We've got fresh team, fresh perspectives from your guys vantage points. What have you seen is the key challenges that you felt like we need to overcome. Since June July, we kind of we went very internal we said, okay, look, we've got some priorities. We can't focus on everything. Jeordie's moved on. You know, a podcast is something that we love to do, but it can't be our first priority right now. What from your vantage point, were the things we were focusing on and how do you think that's gone?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a great question.
Speaker 2: I think when we started to look at what we were doing really well, but then also look at some of the challenges at the time that we were facing, and it just happened to also coincide with obviously some movement and some of our staff moving on to bigger and better roles. But I think initially we were faced, like many business owners and many businesses out there, not just gyms, but with the reality of the cost of living and everything that was increasing. You know, how did we still offer a really fantastic program that was going to deliver something that we were really proud of, but make it more affordable and make our athletes be able to continue to enjoy it and everything that they'd come to known at a little bit better.
Speaker 1: Price and send it more affordable priced correct.
Speaker 2: And you know, like a lot of businesses, we weren't the only ones feeling that sort of pinch in terms of, you know, people are having to make tough decisions around you know, what they valued and where they put their money in. I think for a lot of our athletes, you know, we're at home to them, and you know, they were made din't forced to make really tough decisions that they didn't want to ultimately make around well do I put fuel in my car or do I come to the gym? And that's a little bit of an exaggeration there, but to be honest, it was it was that what we were fast.
Speaker 1: To reality more than yeah.
Speaker 2: And so I think for us, you know, probably your pride gets in the way a little bit as well. That we were we knew the service and the level of service that we wanted to offer, and you know, for the three of us in this room, and to be honest, everyone here in the facility, we didn't want to just roll something out that we weren't proud of. And that comes with its challenges, right because everything that we've done from a service model and how we offer what we do cost money, and so we have had to really rethink and you know, I think between the three of us and we're able to come up with a model that I'm really excited about. I think is really, you know, change the way we're looking at athletic development. I think it's something that you know, I think has been a really revolution, a big revolution for our company and the way we deliver strength and conditioning to make it more affordable for people yet still know that they're getting individualized training. So for us, the big challenge firstly was how do we find a product and then secondly, how do we roll this out? And what does that look like from a key man who are doing each aspect? And I think that was a really big challenge that I think over the last six months. You know, I'm not going to say that we've got it absolutely perfect, but I think, you know, what we've come up with I'm pretty pretty stoked about.
Speaker 1: So let's flash that out. Where was what was our product prior to this transition? What's the product now? In terms of what we've done with the ADP who want to kind of explain and how we've made this transition, how we've made it more affordable, Where we decided what we're going to trade off, why we decided to trade off certain things and not other things, and just give some contacts. I think the assumption that was firstly governing everything was that high performance athletic training, whatever you want to call it, required the inundated attention of a coach, daily modification, weekly, modifiate, whatever you want to look at it. You know, the mentality of a coach managing an athlete, that athlete realistically having close to twenty four to seven access to that coach to be able to manipulate things. We realized that, and we sounds dumbs and we It's not like we suddenly realized. We kind of knew, but ultimately that was the offering. But not everyone needs that full stop. And I think for us, we were probably quite caught up early on in saying, this is what we want to offer, this is what we believe is the gold standard, and that's what we offered, and there was nothing wrong with that to start. But I think the biggest realization is understanding, well, not everyone needs to offer the gold standard, and we believe that if we were going to offer the silver standard, that we would offer better than anyone else. And I think that's the mentality that probably switched the most with us when we started to say, well, yes, we offer what we believe is the best athletic performance product you can get. But there's a lot of people that don't need that or necessarily want that, but still want an amazing product that fits their current situation. And what I mean by that is if you're on the cusp of a league. We've got a number of especially in the women's space, We've had so many football girls come through Matilda's Future Matildas that that's what they need. They need the nuanced adjustments where hey Tommy, we're a game rained out two weeks ago. They've put it on next Wednesday. So I've got three games in seven days. And it's like that type of stuff is where you need a coach to be in your pocket, managing load, making sure you're doing the right things, feeling confident. Sometimes just a need to talk to the next phase down is you know your shoot shield. Rugby player that's in second grade maybe wanted to go to first grade. Even a lot of first graders that have trained for a long time, they kind of know them, they know their way around the gym, they're fairly accountable to things, but they just need solid programming, solid coaching and direction. They don't need to be able to message a coach on a Thursday morning to say that they've got an extra three games over the next fourteen days.
Speaker 3: It's typically seven day turnarounds exact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they don't need or need to pay for that type of thing. So we've said, well, look at the moment, our Bread and Butter is kind of that area, Like that's where we kind of started with our current situation and setup. We've found that our target market has shifted to our high end athletes that really needed the nuanced work. Great, but there's not a lot of them and our youth athletes that their parents are paying. Therefore, their parents are in a very comfortable position and to them, they want their kids looked after. If you've got kids, you know, like you want to buy trust and you're not going down to the local fitness first and just trusting anyone with a thirteen year old. So our brand has a lot of trust. Therefore, we attract a lot of parents that want their athletes or their youth you can decide if they're athletes yet or not, to be well trained, which is great, but what we were missing is that eighteen to twenty five year old mark that was our bread and butter. They're at UNI. They're striving to make it to first grade. Some of them are also striving to make it to a professional setting, but they don't have the money to How many people do we know that make the Olympics off the back of three years of living in their car or all this type of stuff. They're the people that want our help but often can't afford it. So to that point, we said, okay, well what costs us the most? For us? Having a coach allocated to an athlete costs us like it cost us a lot of money, because every athlete that goes to a coach means they get closer to their cap and suddenly we can't keep adding athletes to coaches. So we missed a context about three thousand dollars per athlete is the real cost on a managed list. So that one was the our costs for us to have an athlete on a coach's list exactly, and then understanding that yes, it costs us have the facility, Yes it costs us to program, but the cost per acquisition on that is very small. Our facility, thankfully, at the moment, is quite a large facility. We can fit a decent amount of people in the same with our programming structure. The system of our programming is very efficient, so it means we can attract large numbers of athletes and still program very effectively for them. So the bottom exit coach. So how do we remove the coach and how do we then reduce the price. Well, it's exactly that we've said. Okay, well let's see if we can't get down to that ninety seven mark, which we've done. The ninety seven dollars a week puts us in that realm of like your BFT. Again, you can fact check me on this. I think it's like eighty three dollars for BFT. Yeah, we'll fact check it. Yeah, thank you. Did a little bit. Local cross fits, especially around the area, people that are doing three four CrossFit sessions a day, they're around the seventy seven mark almost, So at least ninety seven puts us in that realm. Obviously still a little bit pricier than your local CrossFit, but we obviously program with far more detail, and suddenly we've reached a mark that is affordable to these people that are trying to make it. They're living around that eighteen to twenty five year old Mark. They're not making a lot of money at the time, but they come in, they get their program, they get their testing, they get their program designed based off their sport and they're testing, and they get world class coaching on the gym floor. Yes, they don't have the coach in the pocket, but they've got it on the gym floor whenever they need it. And we've found a lot of people love that and really happy with that product, and I believe we do it better than anyone else. So that is sort of the driving force the direction, and I suppose the logical discussions we had around moving to that model so more Neuon's coach will say, okay, but how do you now then make the programming decisions and how do you navigate that If a coach isn't the interface between the program and the athlete, you know, how do you do that and how do you do that effectively? What was our solution? Well, realistickly, it's done on the floor as a coach, so the coaching still makes the decisions. And what I mean by that is when we think of what an athlete texts the coach about or talks to a coach. Obviously some key goal setting works some targets that we build out, and then it's a lot to do with day to day loading and when things that pop up that I suppose unpredicted, they get put through and the coach can adjust. The ninety seven option now allows that still to happen, but the athlete will come into the gym and discuss it with the coach on duty on the gym floor, so the coach is still make the decision, but the difference is the coach doesn't have any administrative lag external to their coaching hours. So they're on the floor, they're coaching, and athlete goes, oh my, yeah, my right knee has been give me a little bit of issues. Okay, look, let's just switch out this neee dominant movement for a hip dominant movement, give it a bit of a rest for the next two weeks. If it's still sore, then touch base with the physio so we can see that if there's any issues, they can be modified on the fly. But then also there's a follow up protocol. If they still saw then they touch base with our physio, which means the physio will then be able to modify accordingly. Again ads to the benefit of having our physios in our four walls. They can log into our team Builder. They know the programming structure, they can set it, they can change it, they can modify it. But then the flip side is also the coaches can modify long term. So for example, if someone goes onto the gym floor and they're like, oh, yeah, I got smacked yesterday, my back is just killing me. The coach on the floor can make the decision. But right for this training block, we're switching out a hinge for maybe a need dominant option, and that's going to be your training block. Let's see how you feel next training block, touch base again with me on the floor. More upstream into how I even get into program, we had to kind of come up with a new framework for essentially associating a style of program to the hour.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The initial program, Yeah, so we break it into three key base programs that are allocated based on sport and sporting requirements. From that, we then have our three key testing three based programs. So base programs are what we call total body dynamic, our upper body bias and our concentric bias. So total body dynamic refers to any sport as it sounds that you kind of use total body. Things like AFL rugby league, rugby union, you're kind of using all your body, but you technically have a little bit more lower limb dominance. It's a high running sport. When we talk about our upper body bias program, it simply means that that sport now has an acute bias to the upper body, ie cricket, baseball, tennis, things where you're actual resports spot on, you actually need to drive a little bit of outcome from the upper body. It's not just an accessory. And in concentric are our more concentric orientated sports cycling, rowing, sprinting, track work that's up being et cetera. Love that, So then what happens from there, So then that's groups. So they have their three groupings. Within those groupings, we devise into a rate of force development group and a force development group, and that is based off our initial testing that actually hasn't changed. Our initial testing is still the same testing all of our athletes get, but we just utilize a little bit of a smart algorithm to establish whether currently they're going to be more orientated towards building strength and force outcomes versus they've got the license to activate a little bit more velocity work in their rate of force development. So looking at key ratios that we've used before being our RSI, our eccentric utilization ratio, and then our DSi or strength strength strength to power. So those three are three key ones that we've used previously and will continue to use to establish whether or not that one gets grouped. On top of that, we then have our resiliance components, which add a little bit more individualization to the program based off where their asymmetries or weaknesses occur. Our key ones that we look at are groin, our hamstring, and our calf. Of those three, we do basic isometric strength testing. From that, we establish any extra work that they may need in their program that gets allocated in And what that's allowed us to do is essentially most of the leg work is done through the mechanims of testing. They have a program. Modifications then occur on the gym floor, and what we've now been able to do is decuple the athlete experience from a coach and the anchor it from that, reduce the price to ninety seven and we've had a lot of success because you know, we were appealing to the extremes of the bell curve. We had the fourteen year old kid and the eleven year old, twelve year old kid, and then we had to lead athletes, and we were missing the majority of the bell curve in the middle, which was our core market. You know, the market we love to train and you know the great result of this change is we have reattracted that core market. It's that eighteen or twenty six year old athlete who is semi pro shoot shield wants a great place to train, but doesn't necessarily need the detail the nuance that those ends of the spectrum we're demanding. And to be honest, without putting our own program to disservice, I truly believe athletic performance as a whole fits far more commonly in that area, like eighty percent of our training and even out like what you would term an individualized program, which are even the term individualized I think is a little bit overused these days, but ultimately you're going to get better, Like general physical preparation is what we do as a whole. We certainly get specific with some individuals at certain times, but ultimately a strength editioning coaches, performance coaches, that's our bread and butter. So we'd be silly not to think that we can't cater to a large population with a more simplistic approach that's still just effective. You know, a simple approach doesn't necessarily mean it's any worse or less. It's just a simple approach that will get really good results with those people that need it. Nice. So that was the first big change I think from a product perspective, that's the biggest change we made. What internally structure wise, staff wise, organization structure? What else did we navigate in the in the six months since dren Well.
Speaker 2: You go, no, no, Well, we've obviously had as we sort of said, we've had some key staff move on two different opportunities. And with that, you know, you discussed earlier about that understanding of probably the legacy coach or legacy staff member and hold what their IP was around the company, and then how do we then install that into a new coach. So you know, we really revisited and revamped our onboarding processes, which I think is only going to be beneficial for us from a whole growth standpoint. You know, it's no secret obviously as a as a brand, we you know, we want to be prominent and prevalent in many states in Australia, if not every state in Australia one day. And in order to grow effectively and run our brand the way that we want to, you need to be able to systemI all that and make sure that the people that come into your brand that potentially the three of us wouldn't have met right as you get bigger, how do we make sure they understand the DNA and the real characteristics of what makes an athletes authority, staff member, coach or whatever role they're coming into. And so I think, you know luck he loves to look at the Winner Bago example. Let him talk about that. But essentially we wanted a manual. It's going to tell the story now, no, no, no, yeah, he can come back to it. But we wanted a manual or essentially something that was going to tick every box. So we knew that we could give a staff member and at least they were going to have an understanding and concept of everything that we're going to need them to do. Do we expect them to remember all of it right away? No, but at least then they've visited or had a touch point with some of the key things that we do. So that when it does pop up, they go, yeah, I remember speaking about that or what have you, and we can then build on that. And so I think for us like that is a real that was a real challenge, right like to install or to give new staff members the right amount of information and really give them the key processes because we sort of said that common sense isn't all that common, because some things that we thought were assume knowledge or that we thought that most people would understand was maybe a little bit more nuanced to what we did here that we were missing out on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I literally was going to say the same thing about an onboarding process. I think with staff turnover, it's important to be able to get people on the ground, upskilled and running as quickly as possible. And I was even at the ACA level three most recently, we often get a lot of questions about how do we on board what we're on board with? And it has been something that's taken a while to really master. And I think the biggest weakness we had, as Tommy said, was this assumed knowledge that sometimes thinking what we thought was very common is not that common, to the extent that when you build out what we've built out, some of the ticker boxes seem so just everyday stupidity almost, but you just have to say it because you just don't know where someone is and that's staff are stupid. No, of course not, it's just it's it's sometimes very obvious things just completely get missed based on different people's experiences. And that's to Tommy's point with the Winnebago story, like that's that's exactly what what I've built out and we've tried to add to and we keep adding to every time we on board someone. And the decision had to be made, you know, do we take it very slow and not overload them and stuff like that, And we kind of saw, well, to be honest, if we take it really slow and happy and everyone's really calm, that there's so many things that come up that they have no idea about. So we have opted to go Baptism of fire style and just hammer everything. And the first couple of weeks are really intensive, like we go through a lot of stuff for new staff that come on board, knowing that they're not going to take it all in and they can't. There's way too much stuff. But the hope is that the core things that they need to get on board with and start with they get then everything else becomes oh, you know, I do remember going through that, or I remember Locke saying something about that, or Karl saying something about it, or from a physio standpoint, yeah, I remember the physios were saying they do this and at least they've had some sort of exposure to it in the first probably three weeks. We aim for knowing that sometimes the onboarding for a number of our staff can take eight to twelve weeks of actually solidifying everything that they need to know. But in saying that, I just don't see any other way. There's no other way for the amount of moving parts and stuff that we do here. The best way to onboard someone, in my opinion, is here is everything all sectioned out, blocked out. It's easy to follow, it's simple to understand. But there's just a lot. So of course they're going to forget things. But the important thing is they've had a touch point of it. They kind of know about it. They don't need to master it until sort of that eight to twelve week mark. On Boarding has been a big thing we've changed. For one of the other things I think we've done that we maybe haven't touched on. As part of getting our staff more aligned is what we rolled out with our role scorecards, which I think have actually been quite useful and practical for getting everyone on the same page and what we were observing. If we go back to April or May, we took we canvas the whole team. I think we could potentially ask people in the same role what are the most important things that need to happen within your role? Would get different answers, and that's not because someone was right and someone was wrong, but because of their biases or whatever it might be, they viewed their role differently to potentially someone in the same role but a different person. So what we had to do was we had to essentially go, Okay, what is the role, what are the key responsibilities, and how do we intend to measure that? And that was a really big challenge for us because we were we probably started to build this infrastructure too late in the sense that the organization. You know, when when you're doing three and a half million dollars in turnover and you've got eighteen staff, when it's really big, it's far more complex. If we had rolled these things out when there were seven of us, and we had clear KPIs, clear expectations. When there are seven people, it's probably easy to continue to build that out. But to that point to interrupt you, that's when you don't need it. It exactly on the same page.
Speaker 2: And that's probably a good learning lesson too for other businesses out there, because exactly right, when you've got seven people or you know, we would have far more conversations with every person on a day to day basis that all those things got ticked off. Anyway, you don't know what you need until you need it, and that was something that we found.
Speaker 1: Out sixty athletes. You can remember our team meetings used to be going through every athlete. We'd literally read through every athlete because we could. There's not a chance in hell we can do that now. And to that point, that the same with staff. You can't possibly have the same interaction with every staff every day, so getting them on the same page is important and it needs to be done day one, which for us was a lot harder because we didn't have many day ones. When we did it, everyone had been here for a certain amount of times, so it's about, you know, putting everything in front of everyone, almost clicking the restart button, And if you've been with us long enough, you'll know that we've probably clicked the restart button a few times because we think this is the best direction. Ends up maybe that's not the best solution, so we modify half of it, and then we end up clicking the restart button and going again. But obviously that's business. I think anyone that's been around long enough, they've been through numerous iterations. We see major companies like Apple, Coke, McDonald's, they still go through iterations now, not to the same extent, obviously, but they're a far more established company. But we're exactly the same in the fact that as we grow, as we find new problems, we find better solutions, hopefully, and sometimes those better solutions can be a real rebuild. Hopefully, those rebuilds get less and less and less as we perfect it. And I really think our last six months, well eight months, has probably been that last final big rebuild, and everything else now a little additions that we make as we grow. Talking about additions, something I've noticed that we've done, and I think we've been very good at it in our de fans is actually subtraction. If anything. In the last eight months, we've probably done a very good job at choosing what our priorities are, making trade offs on what we're going to focus on and what we're not going to focus on, and our business in maybe some respects might feel more complex, but certainly in other respects that you're simplifying. I think that's something that we had to learn the hard way is that for every time we add something, what we're actually adding is additional complexity to how the organization runs. And so every time we add something, we need to find or be willing to make some type of trade off or subtract something elsewhere. I think what we've done really well, and I think the podcast is a great example of this is there are so many priorities in business. We have so many things that are worth doing that could add value, that can contribute to the business's value in the marketplace. But you can't do everything, and you can't be everything to everyone. And we made a really conscious choice of three of us to go no, we're going to focus on our internal realities first, because you know, we made the decision that if athletes authority as a facility first can't thrive, then our contribution to the rest of the marketplace can't be great either. We need to make sure that the inside the four walls that gets the attention the folks that needs and we were willing to you know, put the pause, put things on ice, not do other things so we could focus on what really mattered. I think that's an important lesson for any gym owner. We have a lot of them who listen who when they're faced with challenges, you have to prioritize. And what we rolled out was, you know, we tried to select our three biggest challenges in the organization and essentially engineered the whole business around well, how to navigate those challenges. Maybe we should talk about that. The first challenge we identified was over the course of two or three years, we noticed that the consumption of the product was changing. You know, we had when it was a smaller organization, we were more proximate to the athletes, were closer to them, we saw them more regularly. As the organization grew, and you know, complexity grew and the number of athletes grew, we weren't seeing athletes come in quite as frequently. Maybe we had lots of different ways that we were structuring their training weeks. We didn't see them as often, and we were noticing then on the back end that a lot of athletes on canceling were saying things online with Tommy, You're at the coal face of this, you know, I'm just not seeing the value in the product anymore. And so we recognized, well, you know, how do we define that value? And we figured out, well, the best way to probably define the value as well, how often are you coming in? So we did a fairly significant analysis on what that was, and we found on average it was like one point six or one point seven times on average per week that athletes were coming in. So if you anchor that to the price they were paying, it was a relatively high per session cost that you know, that the athletes were incurring to come in. Of course they were more, we offer more than just the sessions, but that was kind of how they're anchoring the value in their own eyes. So we kind of realized, we need to put a lot of eggs in the basketball. How do we get that consumption up? So we had to start tracking that. We had to you know, set some expectations and targets, we had to build infrastructure around that, We had to change the way we tracked visit history. There was a lot of kind of internal realities we had to start changing to make sure that we navigated that challenge. But you know, the six months that follow we made insane progress where all time record facility highs for visits. So it's it's really interesting. You know, you can have a challenge, but unless you choose to allocate resource to the challenge, both attention, time and capital potentially, you know capital in the sense that people we were paying you ad Z our data site a lot of time to build infrastructure that allowed us to track. So we're spending cash in that way to track it. Unless you unless you actually allocate resource to the challenge, you can't really expect to overcome it. And I think I think that's something that we should be really proud of, is you know, our decision to focus on what can we improve, what is the most important to improve, and can we stay committed to that because I think certainly me, you've you've helped me to account lock and Tommy you too. Is you know, we need to stay focused, and I think that's an important lesson. You choose a couple of things focus on and just stick with it. Well, you think of us as a as a young company, and you see the same as a child or a teenager. They bounce around different passions, Lars, they try everything, they make mistakes, and that's exactly what we did. You know, every opportunity for us as an opportunity, and we took it and we tried it, and I think it puts us in a better state in the end because we know how things interact with our ecosystem. We know how things work and what things actually benefit our core values and what we want. And as I say, you know, if everything so priority, nothing is so. I think we've all been guilty of bouncing around things and getting excited for the new thing. And I think that's yeah, I'm spot on with you, and I think the best thing we've done over the past six months has regardless of the mistakes we've made, we've actually stuck to what we want to target and aim for and we continue to keep taking steps that way, and I think it's been great. Maybe that's maybe a nice segue then to wrap this first episode of the revampart is what's the future for us look like? From your guys perspectives? Where do we go from here?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I really want to get back into sports management. Person that's a cash cow. If you really want to make money quickly, it's sports manager three percent of Australian contracts giving you much. We say that in Jess obviously because we spend a lot of money on sports management and returned all of zero dollars, so you know, talk that up to a loss. To be honest, what I'm most excited about is probably our evolution of our education arm because I really believe that's something that we do amazingly well and we've really only dipped our toe in. I think we show it with our coach Immersion program. We showed it with our one Days that we've hosted. A couple of online releases we've done have been very, very big, and to be brutally honest, it hasn't even been I think, from our standpoints, something that we've consciously really invested a lot of time into. That's not to say we haven't put time into our Coach Immersion, because we have, but ultimately it's one product within the ecosystem of our full education and I think the new revent we're about to go with is going to be fantastic, can be a little bit more specific with things. I'm really excited to announce and launch our little Physio series. I think that's going to be really good. We're going to be running some key topics that are going to be targeted for clinical physios that really want to get up skilled in that practical side. So you know, one and two day events like that are going to be fantastic for us to get in here and also turn to running mechanics, intro to gym and load introduction, all that everything you could possibly think about. We're going to be starting to prioritize into this the Physio series, which would be great. The style of mentorship that we're going to set up. Obviously, Carl runs our business mentorship, which is a hugely success for our ACL mentorship has been hugely successful, and these little things that we just alluded to where we've had these things that we've i suppose focused on and really had some great results from, but then we've moved away in other avenues in other areas. So for us to double down in these mentorship style setups is going to be big. So Team Sport mentorship is going to be coming back. We've got Strength Power mentorship, Sports Science mentorship, all these little short form mentorships which are going to be really powerful and have a lot of information in them and allows the consumer to be able to really double down in an area that they want to specialize and improve on. And Mate, to be honest, that's probably for me the twenty twenty five that's one most excited for I O that, Tully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm also equally excited about the education stuff, but I think for me probably, no, probably the biggest thing I'm excited about is this revamp to our programming structure and how we're delivering athletic development. I think, you know, the fact that what we spoke about before, how we're able to access more athletes, you know, get back to the crux and the core of what we do as a brand. I think to the part why our education has been successful, why it's been able to be successful, and why we can continue to grow and develop, it is because we have delivered fantastic training to athletes and actually been at at the cold front.
Speaker 3: There that the cold front, the cold face.
Speaker 1: Sorry, mattea cold man.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what this air con though, after log it's got to turn down his.
Speaker 1: Cold Okay, settle now, Mate, I think that he's got to be more muscle mass anymore, produce more heat. Yeah, it's not that. It's not this cold in the in God's Country, is it, Tommy?
Speaker 3: It's not Northern beaches is never this cold?
Speaker 1: Man? Just to get hotter as you get closer to the equator. Yeah, Okay, sos which direction you go? If you go if you go north, then yeah, but if you go south to go north, is that closer to the crater, we can still get there that way? True? It is the globe round though, I don't know.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we're going to bring this back.
Speaker 1: We're going to bring this circle back around the globe. Correct the listeners ago, I wonder why they got distracted. Yeah, Carl's gone on a flat earth Tedge.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think I think getting back to doing what we do best and getting or having access to to a really broad spectrum of athletes and that are able to afford it, and really rip into this new style of training and seeing how that grows over our two facilities at the moment, and then obviously hopefully expanding that into into more and and delivering that, you know, to to more athletes around Australia. Speaking of just getting back from the a s c A Level three and there was a lot of coaches from Brisbane and all over Australia, Western Australia, and you know that was very interested in in our brand and what we're doing and a lot of the questions were when are we when are we coming there? So you know, obviously, for me, I think that's something that I'm really excited for is how we look to continue to deliver what we do to athletes but all over Australia.
Speaker 1: Well, if anyone is in any state around Australian they'd like to invest into own and run an athlete's authority, come and let us know, because you're fronting all the money. That's that's a big lesson we learned. We you know this the last couple of years with we've got we've had a lot of money in our bank account and we've had not a lot of money in our bank account, and we've experienced everything in between. And so certainly something we've learned is that you know, opening up a gym once you account for facility, you know, start up, and then you know running at a loss for a gym for years, which is always going to happen. Because you need the staff before you have the athletes. You know, that's that's not an easy thing to navigate. And we've certainly learned that the hard rate but prob the best way it is. The hard ry is often the best way to learn it is. And accounts try to spin and say, oh, you don't need to pay tax. Not profitable, that's one positive.
Speaker 3: I guess I'd.
Speaker 1: Like to pay tax indeed for me. Actually, I'm just looking forward again, back to long form content. I'm not sure how you guys feel about, you know, the state of Instagram and all, but it's fucking exhausted. Is it's the same same things being argued over the same nuanced things like who gives a shit if you're going deep enough on the squad?
Speaker 3: Just move on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, frontal plan or fucking transfer. But also probably know, I certainly feel when I jump on Instagram it feels like it's just thousands of NPCs. You know, it's the same content over and over and over again, and like there is there's no real nuance, there's no good discourse. And what I'll tell you know, I'm you know what to that to interrupt. Look credit to people that have done well and that are doing well and enjoy it and really love it. That's that's but yeah, I'm certainly not it's not inspiring to get stuck into. So I agree with you. Yeah, so long long form content for what I'm most excited about. Obviously, the podcast is a big mechanism of that. Like you know, we've we've all discussed had as long best provide value to this given you know, you've got one of the most unique skill sets in the country with your experience, and you know you doing more of the long form education stuff. I think is the best way that we can kind of contribute to the industry because you know, despite the challenges, I think we've navigated, We've navigated them like we haven't. We've gotten through those challenges. I think we've learned a lot in that process and have a lot to share that I think is going to be really valued. But I think that's what I'm excited about, is, you know, how do we just get back to contributing to the industry and sharing ideas And now that we're in a far more stable place facilities wise, and we've we've we've got far more clarity around accountability and structure that better supports it up until three months ago. You know, Tommy used to do the sales in Sydney, Nate used to do the sales in Melbourne. Now we have a sales function. You know, we all used to kind of broadly speaking, share marketing responsibilities. Now that's at least a more clear functional. You know, until it's that role is filled, I'm doing it. But you know, we've spent a lot of time figuring out, you know, what what needs to happen in this business for it to be successful, and reverse engineering that and having that type of support structures there. So I'm just looking forward. Now that we've got that in place, how do you get back to doing what we do best, which is to improve the lives of the industry and make that easier for people. Whether it's you sharing the new structure of the base program and how we figure that out or whatever it might be moving forward. That's kind of what what excites me. For sure. I grow and a tan because we all live on the beaches. Now that's what happens in God's country. It's amazing that God's country seems to follow Lockie. If you noticed that, Tommy, where Jesus settles, God is there. That's a claim not actually even religious. I probably shouldn't be saying that. Yeah, you probably shouldn't. But now we've got a c A conference next week as well, so for people that are up in Brisbane, Brizzy Convention Center be a great couple of days. So looking forward to being out there. That's a bit of a plig clock. Yeah, definite self was plugged me and I'm presenting one What are you presenting on? What am I presenting on? For a second, I got a few presentations around my heade. We are I am presenting on impacting your team? So how you how you coach a team and and talk about impacting and influencing your athletes. The simple stuff, not the complex stuff. The simple stuff that works. Give us a give us like a teaser. One one basic one that that I do focus on is what I refer to as conversational threads and being able to grab onto a conversational thread. And I think when I was Tommy smile because he's heard this story a few times. I'm sure if Geordie's listening to this, he'll be yelling out one of the stories. But when I was a young coach, I really to try and be professional. I never really engaged in saying on the weekend, if they go, how your weekend, my response was always oh yeah, programmed, programmed, which trained, just because that's professional when an actual fact, Yeah, I was twenty two, so I went and got on the piss with my mates on Saturday night, had a good time. Yeah, white shirt, blue dots, short sleeves, the Lucky Special, ready to roll and yeah you don't you don't change what vip? Yeah yeah, yeah, I think the Floto is still up, actually still on the waar mate, Yeah yeah, exactly good And Wallaby Bar if anyone's old enough to remember Wallaby Bar that had zero trophies in the cabinet, I remember that one Oka just mate. But ultimately, yeah, you are forty two, so it's for those playing you know, I'm not forty two. That for me then in that conversation gives them no threads to grab onto. So obviously for them, the programming maybe training a little bit, they've they've got really no interest in that. But the older I got, the less professional I got, and the more open you get, and the more you actually open up multiple threads within one respect onto one conversation that I talk about them being able to grab onto. You know, if I was to say that I got went and got pissed with my mates. Whether you think that's professional or not, at least it's a bigger thread for a nineteen year old AFL player to grab onto rather than programming. And yeah you may not, but that may actually be a conversation started because they've probably gone and gotten pissed at some stage, so there's at least the ability to have a conversation. Now I use it as a reference. I'm not saying you have to go and get pissed every weekend to have a conversation, but being open with what you do and not actually being as professional as probably everyone thinks you need to be. So be more like yourself correct like what you think you need to be is more exactly exactly. But yeah, just a little teasy if you want to find out or Brisbane conventions the tickets, your tickets, Tell me what's on the horizon for you new role mate? You want to tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a new role obviously jumped across to South Sydian rabbit O so have gone into a rogula club, which for those that do you know a little about me.
Speaker 3: Obviously, rugby league is very very important to me.
Speaker 2: It's definitely the thing under there, the thing I get excited about the most. So now look really really looking forward to the new challenge. So I've stepped into the Pathways high Performance Manager role, which sits across everything from the new Sadwell's Cup down to the Harrold Matthews in the in the boys stream, as well as the female pathways from their Harvey Norman Women's which is the open Open Women's down to their Lisa Fiel Touchcow and Lisa Fiola.
Speaker 3: So sit across at it.
Speaker 2: There's seven seven major teams within that program and then we've got development squads and everything else that go in between. So I sort of oversee that and obviously look forward to to ripping and hopefully having a good season at the hoth Sydney Rabbits.
Speaker 1: I've always wondered when rabbit Os play manly, how do you how do you navigate that? He turns out? You know those people that turn up in the half jerseys are sewn together, that's you. What will be on the left hand side? Where will we will? Will the heart be the heartart? Doesn't Brookie doesn't leave the heart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a tough one, mate.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously, I think I have had this experience before at some of the other clubs I work with. Look, manly will always be in the heart, but you do learn to love the team that you're with and the club that you're with. You obviously build connections and relationships with those athletes, so there's a far more personal relationship with them. So no, I'm very excited for for South Sydney. I hope hopefully we have a really big season and can can turn around some of the results from last year.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to Have you met Wayne yet?
Speaker 2: No, No, I have not. Wayne is not December one hasn't just started yet. Looking forward to meeting the master. I'm sure I can learn plenty of him, so now looking forward to that, But no, I haven't haven't.
Speaker 3: Met him yet.
Speaker 1: Out have an exciting podcast. We'll do it, tom Wayne, Tom Wayne, where's Wayne? Well, Mike, Tommy up for the meeting. Hi, I'm Tommy Wayne, Like hello, and that'll be it. Hopefully it's more more impactful than just that, mate. We're exciting to hear how how you goes made? And it's great to still have you around. Yeah, we need to get a proper schedule off him so we can announce Tobby's on floor appearances during the week. But been doing well so far, and what we might do is we might just put a message out month Cisco's Live. You guys were not exactly showing the new structure for the podcast, but we're definitely thinking more of a host type panel type as I'm concerned it'll be. We'll lock in a regular time and what we do will will be dependent on the available staff at the time, but I think keeping keeping the AI inside of important and then yeah, if we've got visitors at the time or people that we want to get in, we obviously will think. So your Mike destruct away there, mate.
Speaker 3: I Mike just it wasn't an intentional much.
Speaker 1: I haven't tightened up them and to service these mics a little bit anyway. But yes, we'll have more panel discussion, a little bit, more multiple people on. I think, well, boys, it's great to break the back of the podcast again. It's gonna be awesome releases and get back on the bandwagon on full Content's our thing and look forward to having you all back on Cracking. Thanks guys, yep, thank you, see yup.