Speaker 1: Before we get into today's episode, a quick reminder that you can also watch this conversation on YouTube by tapping the link in our show notes. Hello and welcome to Something to Talk About the Stellar Podcast. I'm sarah La Marquin, your host, and every week I sit down with some of the biggest names in the country because when Australia's celebrities are ready to talk, they come to Something to talk about. Six of this year's seven Gold Logi nominees have already made history because they are women, the most ever nominated in a single year, and the nominee is vying for Australian TV's highest honor in August, including the Token Mail Hamish Blake, all happened to be over forty. On today's episode, I sit down with three of the women who have been nominated for Gold and when Lynn McGranger, Ali Langdon and Sonya Krueger walked into the Stellar Podcast studio, it didn't take long for the laughter and the real talk to be whoever.
Speaker 2: Doesn't win, we should all agree to burst into tears laughter.
Speaker 3: Beauty, I don't sunrise.
Speaker 4: Yes, if Hamish wins, we should all stand up.
Speaker 1: Sonya, Ali and Lynn join me to discuss the big night, who they really think will take the prize, and why the competition between them is anything but. From red carpet dilemmas and live television chaos to the truth about female rivalry and the joy of not having to play it small anymore. This is a conversation with three women who have survived and thrived in three very different corners of a notoriously tough industry. Ali Langdon, Sonya Kruger, Lynn mcgrangel, Welcome to the Stellar Podcast. Thank you for having so three gold LOGI no manee walk into a studio, congratulate many walk outs.
Speaker 5: I just want to hear the punchline. I'm looking for you, the three of you.
Speaker 1: For the punchline. You will fill in the blanks. So you've walked into two studios today. You're here in the Stellar Podcast studio and you've just come from set of the photo studio to get the amazing images that are on the cover of Stella today. So can I start by asking how well, if at all, the three of you have known each other prior to today and this little spending a day and an excursion with Stella.
Speaker 2: Ali and myself haven't met, but Sonya and I go back a bit, and we in fact did a did a promo on Sunday and had a laugh and so, and we've talked on the Red Carpet and obviously seen each other around the traps seven time now.
Speaker 6: And Ali and I know each other from when I was at nine, So yeah, I know I know both ladies really well.
Speaker 5: We've been around a while, three of us, haven't we. I mean, you know. And that's and that's why I had to keep thinking, Okay, it's in good point.
Speaker 1: Ali, and I apologize in advanced lin if I say, look.
Speaker 2: To it, darling, I get it all the time. It's like I said to the girls here earlier, I said, how long how long do you have to be on the bloody television before.
Speaker 3: People know who your real name is? Know your real name? But I get it. I understand it because people see me as irene.
Speaker 5: I also think it's a compliment.
Speaker 4: Oom for what thirty thirty three three years? I would I would lean into that. I think it is a great compliment that that people feel they know you.
Speaker 3: Thank you your character. Take with me. So next time I abuse somebody, I'll go wait a minute. Ali told me it's advice.
Speaker 1: From Alie is always good. But of course, having said that, Lean you are on screen at the moment still as Irene. But you did actually film your final scenes early this year, so in the coming months Australia will be saying, for well, we don't know how I mean, do not spill that.
Speaker 3: I don't have to kill him.
Speaker 2: To one, you know, you're sworn to secrecy obviously contractually. Also you spoil you know, you don't want to spoil it. It's a soap and you don't want to give away the ending. But I'm very excited about it. I have, and I proudly say that for once, the riders didn't slam the door in my face and say and.
Speaker 5: Stay out so she doesn't die.
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't say that, well a kind of did I Well, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Did you know they.
Speaker 6: Already sad In advanced that, Well, we have a lot of emotion to get through before then, because we've all got to get through Logi's knife.
Speaker 1: Yes, one of them may, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but just I went up with the storyline and they they liked it.
Speaker 7: They went with so you came up with, yes, it's a fantastic which we great, you know, I was very I just felt it was a story that needed to be told and one that's very relevant.
Speaker 2: And they, for once, as I say, agreed and didn't slam the door in my face.
Speaker 3: So you know, stay in your own laneh.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 3: See, there we go.
Speaker 1: Ali clarification slamming the door in the face not goodbye, I was jumping again. No, that's great, that's really good. Well, I genuinely cannot wait to see that. Thank you, love, see if you get a writing credit as well. Gold Loging nominee.
Speaker 3: Doubt ideas ideas, girl.
Speaker 1: There are seven nominees this year, and I am privileged enough to be sitting down with three of them. One of the reasons that the Logis this year have already made history is because six of those seven Gold Logi nominees are, of course women. Since the category became genderless in nineteen seventy eight, that ten women have won the Gold. Now, some of those women did a few times, so it might feel like there's been more of ten. Sonya Krueger, of course you are one of them. Do these figures still surprise you in twenty twenty five, You know, it's.
Speaker 6: Really funny because somebody pointed that out to me after the logis and because you know, you don't go back and you don't look at the history of who's won it and when and all of that, and it did surprise me. And I think what happened with this particular group of nominations was it just highlighted the fact that there are some amazing women who work in this business. We all have daughters, And for me, that was one of the best parts about it was knowing that all those little girls out there who might be watching TV or looking for a career at some point in the media in some way as an actor or a journalist, whatever it might be, a presenter, that they could then aspire a little bit more to that because they see women who were doing that and being recognized for that.
Speaker 8: So that was probably the best part about it for me.
Speaker 4: I think it's that recognition, isn't it That that is really nice to see. And you look at the six women and and how in the morning we had the breakfast. Hamish was hilarious. He's just he's genuinely saying, don't vote for me. This would be the worst thing in the world if the one guy was the person to win it. But you also look at all the different pathways that each of us have to reach the point where we're at. Is really nice to celebrate that.
Speaker 8: The diversity in the past within the pathways. Yeah, Poe is.
Speaker 6: There for a reason, Hamish is there, You're there as a journal Lynn as an actor. Julia has done just about everything I think, but you know, she's a comedian, she's she's hilarious. And Lisa Miller is also you know, breakfast she came through breakfast televisions on my phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Can we just have that on the record that it is Sonya.
Speaker 4: It's not lind to buy a case of beer, that's right.
Speaker 1: If it rings again, will be a case of champagne as well, exactly, and then snacks for anybody else's We know they call at least once a day, so it was bound to happen, I'm sure. Well. Actually, still on the category of your fellow Gold LOGI nominees mentioned Lisa Miller. So Lisa has kindly submitted a question to ask.
Speaker 5: To her three fellow gold log nominees. This is fair before you said, this is lovely, that's right.
Speaker 1: I asked her to ask the tough questions I didn't want to ask I'm like, I'll be in the room no no, before I roll out my own red carpet moment. What colors are you all wearing? To the logis I'd hate to clash when we could be a perfectly color coordinated on simple cast.
Speaker 6: Answer that if you don't know what, if you do what? If you haven't actually worked it out.
Speaker 5: You've got a short list. I haven't even had the first conversation yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you leaning towards the color? Do you think?
Speaker 8: CALLI no, I can tell you what I'm going to stay away from.
Speaker 6: Yes, probably because I've done a lot of metallics, and you know, like I think, if you're nominated for gold and you wear gold, then you always get that whole You've come.
Speaker 8: Dressed as a gold.
Speaker 5: This is all the things we need to listen to at the first.
Speaker 6: Silver is a bit the same, but I think silver is a little bit more acceptable. You know, black is beautiful but can be common as mark though, but it's I mean, it can be classic and beautiful in the red carpet, but then it's.
Speaker 8: Television, so sometimes you.
Speaker 3: Need color, I think.
Speaker 2: So for me, I don't like to wear black because I gravitate towards color white. I will find the nearest piece of beet trout where the out fail, or the nearest glass of red wine.
Speaker 3: There was one I had a cream.
Speaker 2: I have picked my color, and I don't mind saying it is called citrine, which is like to me, it's tumoric. So it's like, it's not mustard, it's not yellow. It's got a bit of a sine. It's not gold, but it is like a yeah, it's a yellow, shiny, yellowy mustard color, but they call it citrine. You match some jewelry with that, well, I like, I'd like to do the uh, you know, the contrast. So I'd like to do maybe a cobalt blue with it, or maybe a yes.
Speaker 1: A pink.
Speaker 3: I do like the contrast.
Speaker 2: So I really gravitate towards color. Looking a bit dull today.
Speaker 6: This is actually the fun part, like the whole And I think when you work with people who are in fashion or stylists, they really love to pull it all together, the look, the color of your manicure, you know, the jewelry, the bag, the whole, all of that.
Speaker 5: The shoe.
Speaker 8: The shoes are always uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: What can we say, because I just sort of lean into that so like of this beautiful styless Beck Wilson, who's coming And I've just kind of handled all it like if you left it to me.
Speaker 5: I am wearing ug boots right now this chat.
Speaker 4: I would probably wear ugg boots to the logies And I'm still trying to vibe. Can I wear a sneaker? But that's Julie Morris's look, so you can't steal that.
Speaker 5: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just this one. I go, I know my lane and this ain't Malay, yes, So I'm just handing it, handing it over.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: I always wanted to cast it Home and Away to all turn up in their pajamas.
Speaker 3: Just everybody.
Speaker 2: If everybody did it, brought a pillow, turned up in their charmys, no one would better know it.
Speaker 3: If you did it by yourself, you.
Speaker 2: Know, they would call the you know, the funny wagon and have you cart it off. But if you did it as a cast, you could set a train that is warm and comfy, and given how long.
Speaker 8: The ceremony he's going to.
Speaker 2: That when you're falling asleep up for this show is of the cast of Home and Away.
Speaker 3: There sleep under the table.
Speaker 1: Has anyone brought into that idea.
Speaker 2: Of your because everyone always wants to get fancy. There's always someone that goes, no, well, I've got this frock to wear.
Speaker 3: I want to wear this designer.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, party pooper, I just want to wear Matage.
Speaker 1: In citri tho citrine. It sounds like a monologue that Meryl Streep's character would give the devil.
Speaker 3: Citrin in that shape.
Speaker 1: Another of your fellow gold Logging nominees has also submitted a question, what do you think our three characteristics which have given you longevity in the industry? Luck is not acceptable as an answers, That's not me.
Speaker 2: I'll tackle because I'm the longevitis here. I would say still breathing is a good one.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's in the same category's lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think you know, being serious with home and away, I think the writing has it just keeps on keeping on and keeping people's interests. I think that that the happy medium between hanging on to the ogs and getting new and fun cast in passing through to keep up the young one's interest is a big one. And so yeah, the writing and I think you know, really production production values have just increased and improved so much over the years. So personally, I still think it's probably because I'm still breathing, and I guess the character has been able to I've been able to, you know, massage the character over the years and turn her from a nasty piece of work who was an alcoholic who tried to throttle her kids to being, you know, to.
Speaker 3: Being an every mum in a way.
Speaker 2: And for her super objective, to being just taking in waves and strays and trying to make life easier for younger members of the cast. So mix all that together, Poe, and there's your answer.
Speaker 1: Alie, what about for you?
Speaker 4: Look, I think at the heart of it, you've got to have a good sense of humor. Just surviving media this long. You go about to laugh and you know there there are so many talented people in this industry work with. For me, I just it's just working hard. It's working hard and being authentic. So I think have a sense of humor, be yourself because people can see through it, and just work bloody hard.
Speaker 8: Now I think, yeah, Ali totally nailed it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: That's why I went before you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I'll add a couple. I think resilience is important because I think sometimes in the media you ride a bit of a wave, don't you know. You have your ups and your downs, and working hard, definitely collaborating and collaborating with people that you know that you work well with, because we're not as silent, We don't operate as individuals in what we do. We have teams of people that we work with, and I think it's loving the people that you work with, gets the best product at the end of the day, and not taking any of it too seriously, as Ali said, having a sense of humor. You know, we're not curing cancer where you know, we're providing entertainment or news or a service of some kind.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think longevity is a great word and great question I think from Poe because two aspects I think that have made news or been interesting and given a lot of women, especially optimism about the state of the industry and representation in the Australian media. In twenty twenty five, in seeing six of the Gold Logi nominees being women, is it actually also all of the women and Hamish I will say, are all over forty. Now that actually sounds quite young, depending of course, to how old the person listening watching.
Speaker 3: Reading is, but I like it all.
Speaker 1: I'd love to ask each of you about in the course of your career and your own observations. Also as a media consumer, do you think that the reality of longevity of a career and visibility of women, oh my gosh, forty, God for fifty, sixty, seventy is getting better than when it was and really not that long ago when we go, oh my gosh, she turned thirty. I guess it's behind the camera for you now.
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 2: It's funny you should ask that because I was thinking about this the other day. About maybe ten twenty years ago, there was a whole thing about women over fifty being invisible, and in a way I started to feel it a bit myself, just because you're surrounded by this bevy of beauties on the show, and at that point I was the oldest woman. What am I saying now, Colin Lynn Colin was always older than me, but she didn't like she wasn't around for that long. But I suppose in the scheme of things, I've always been the oldest woman on the show.
Speaker 3: But it seems to me.
Speaker 2: The older I've got, the more visible I've become. And I thought isn't that interesting that it? And it seems to be happenings. And I think it's evident with the age range that we've got with the Logi's nominees, and it's like we're no longer invisible. And I think think there's people like Meryl Streep and Susan Sarandon and Maggie Smith and Helen Mirren and all of those wonderful, wonderful, you know, seasoned actors, actresses that we have to thank for that that no longer I don't feel invisible anymore at all. But you know what, twenty years ago, I was starting to feel invisible. So I think was that the answer to the question you want?
Speaker 4: So there it goes to you've got that next generation coming up and seeing you in that role and you're that role model. Yes, And I look at it, you know, from a news perspective, and like, you know, talking to when Tracy Grimshaw celebrated her forty years in television and I'm saying, this fabulous night was at the Opera House and she was talking about it that night about how you know she's got this great career and it was in her twenties. It's like, Okay, a thirty, someone's probably going to tap me. And then then all of a sudden, I get to fifty and then you know, then you know, then you sort of keep going.
Speaker 5: It's like maybe I'm not going to get the tap.
Speaker 4: Whereas we've always watched these you know, these esteemed fabulous male colleagues go forever and then you but we now you now see that and as you say, everybody in this category being over the age of forty, and you know, as we always say, you can only be what you can see, and you can see and it's not that weird, no anything.
Speaker 5: And the audience wants to see it.
Speaker 6: They do because I think experience counts for something now and that's what they are looking for and wanting, you know, to hear from people who have had some life experience, some layers. And it's a phenomenon not just in Australia, but you do see it overseas now when you switch on the television. So I think it's a global thing where women are, yeah, their careers in the media and television have are extending and extending and it's a great.
Speaker 2: Thing absolutely, And I think too the aging population, particularly here in Austraia. I mean I you know, I have many friends who are you know, five years either side of my age, which is a very young fifty no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: I'm joking about. It's a lot older than that.
Speaker 2: But I feel like because of that, as Sonya just pointed out, people gravitate to those people who are around the same age as as some sort of role model. That that almost an admiration of Wow, these guys have gone gone through the invisible stage and come out the other side. And that is a I think, a real pat on the back for all of us, really, all of us who are over the age of forty.
Speaker 4: And it's not even it was it was so nice all being in that room together and even doing the shoot this morning where you know, and it was it's very fun today and doing doing doing our thing, and it's like, okay, it's not like you're serious. I want to when the gold to like, you know, you knock the person out besides you. And every time they tried to make us be serious or you know, one of us would laugh and there you just there is there is a lovely sense. There is kindness and camaraderie in this sort of this group. You know, when they're trying to make us be competitive. None of us had a in a I do in a work sense, you know, you know when it comes like chasing a story in that way. But in regards to this, it just feels entirely different. And it's just it's a lovely ride with just some really really extraordinary women and Hamish it's.
Speaker 1: So lovely too, isn't Because it's also that narrative of being competitive and very good at what you do and being the top of your field, but also not buying into this notion that that has to come at the expense of someone else, and especially another woman, because that's what the culture since fairy tales have traditionally told women that if she's getting that, then you can't have that. So Ali, that's another aspect of what I hear in that that experience.
Speaker 6: That's a strange thing that that's the culturally, and even when you look at clickbait and cap fight and you know, those kind of stories that always seem to pop up because the reality and my experience in television, I don't know about you guys, has always been much more collegiate and much more collaborative and friendly page and I think people have this perception that everybody's at each other's throats and TV, but in actual fact, it's I've found it's the poposite.
Speaker 3: I'm willing to bet that that is a man made.
Speaker 2: You know, really that that's that's exactly.
Speaker 4: Blame men for that, because I feel like if you go back while there was I think because it was so hard for women to get ahead. Yes, I feel like if you made that, you know, I feel like it did used to be a thing. It's like, this was really hard for me to get here, so I'm not going to make it easy for you. Like I truly do think that that existed, and even when I came into the news room that there were pockets of that, But there were also just some fabulous women who were come on up, let me show you, let me tell you everything I know. And that's what always stuck. And I think when you see that and it sticks with you, it's like I will always be that. I will always make sure that you know that you were you're helpful. That knowledge that someone passed on to you, you pass that on and you build around you and then more and more so it becomes becomes a thing.
Speaker 5: But I do think once upon a time it was real.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of lessons in chemistry, you know, wonderful book.
Speaker 8: The book and it was I think it was on Apple.
Speaker 3: It was Si with.
Speaker 2: Laston and you know that awful time in the sixties when you know, and a woman with a modicum of intelligence was put down, so you know, she happened to be a chemist. And it's really worth seeing. It's really worth seeing if you haven't seen it. But it just reminded me of that when you were talking about it. But with Home and Away, we've always made an effort and certainly not just myself but all of us. I think, going back to your question about the success of the show, is that we've always welcomed people aboard and really made an effort. So even guest is on the show have said, it's such a happy family, it's such a good I mean, of course, it's like any workplace where you you know, you prefer Susan to Jocelyn.
Speaker 3: But that's just a name.
Speaker 4: Jocelyn do we've heard that about.
Speaker 2: But you know that that thing of welcoming people and not not being.
Speaker 6: I think it's counterproductive, isn't it to be like that? Because you don't get ahead by pulling somebody else down. And I think when people realize that, that's maybe when the shift occurs. And maybe it's just that I gravitate like you guys, towards people like that, you know so.
Speaker 4: But I also think that when you do show that that kindness and when you do build up others, if you look at longevity, like those who've had longevity, I feel like you feel like that if you're that person, you actually last longer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're right. I think you are right. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: And up next, who is actually going to take home the gold at the Logis in August? Our nominees give us their predictions. I'd love to ask each of you individually, given that cross section of your industries is really wonderful. I think it is part of the representation and the tapestry of the Gold Logi nominees this year, because we have broadcast journalism and we have actingly, you've also on the stage at the moment you're appearing in Grandparents, Grandparents clubs, who are in live theater again, Sonya of course, Queen of the Shiny what we call shy Floor between the Boys and Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 3: Queen of the shiny balls.
Speaker 8: No, I was wondering where you were going.
Speaker 5: I wasn't going there. But that's a good question.
Speaker 4: This is why it must be hard for you then to find a dress for the Logies, because every time you were on air you look fabulous.
Speaker 8: And every time we go, oh, maybe we should have kept.
Speaker 1: That is true. Actually, how do you top each year that?
Speaker 6: Well, luckily that's not up to me. That's Natalia my stylist job. But there is a dress coming up and Dancing with the stars. The finale dress for that is spectacular, and I was like, Natalia, really, I think we should have held this back and kept it for the logies.
Speaker 3: Citrine, it's not true, but you know.
Speaker 6: What, I'm glad we didn't because it was actually quite uncomfortable.
Speaker 8: It was quite sharp and this does that bother you though, I feel like you're sort of.
Speaker 1: Kim kardash In at the Macgala, like to hell with the pain.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look a little bit, a little bit, but by the end of the night it can be a bit torturous.
Speaker 1: You need Alli's ug boots and broom pajamas.
Speaker 3: You just sneak them in early.
Speaker 4: You put them under the table, so then you walk the Red Carpet in those uncomfortable shoes. And then and then when it's when it's time for because you're in you had a bunch of categories ratfort just.
Speaker 5: Pop them off, slip them on you.
Speaker 6: Are you presenting we're doing the Red Carpet? Yes, Chris and I are doing the Red Green Carpet.
Speaker 5: So you're going to have to interview yourself.
Speaker 4: What did you The host of the Red Carpet going to ask Sonya.
Speaker 5: The nominee, who are you wearing?
Speaker 6: Really funny actually, because I love talking to all of the nominees. And then the end Chris kind of interviews me and it feels strange, But yeah, the Red Carpet is one of my favorite parts of the show.
Speaker 8: That and Sam Pang's opener.
Speaker 6: He's incredible and he makes me very nervous, but I love that.
Speaker 1: I'm going to ask about that.
Speaker 5: He's given it to you a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Yes, I expect the ages gags. No, Yes, he will, he will. It's bound to.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm the eldest by long shots, so I'm sure he'll.
Speaker 3: He'll give it to me hook blind and see.
Speaker 6: The funny thing is Sam has he's fearless when he goes out there, and that's such one strawdinary quality.
Speaker 1: It fills the room with fear.
Speaker 8: Though I think we like.
Speaker 4: But ling, you need to be ready because I mean, and maybe son, you can give us tips on like what facehipool when when he goes us yes, because you.
Speaker 8: Know, just slightly disinterested is good.
Speaker 2: Probably, yeah, I think, sorry.
Speaker 1: Go rifling for your slips at the table at that exact moment.
Speaker 5: Sorry visible, Maybe maybe be in the bathroom during the opening.
Speaker 2: When you least expected and he comes out on stage and he suddenly goes, Sarah.
Speaker 1: You have your pokeer face on all night. Any tips for poker face for when somebody else wins, because that's always a moment. They got the camera at the table, we've all sat there and then you know, everyone like I mean, de me more when she didn't win the Oscar this year, I mean that moment, like every reaction in that poor woman has been globally dissected for the subsequent six months.
Speaker 3: So any anything, it was her first nomination and she was.
Speaker 1: Expected to win, So it was a shock. My Key Madison from like a younger actor from Anora the other film, So it was a bit of an upset. But you know, the cameras obviously zoom in on all of the nominees and everyone has their moments.
Speaker 4: We should there's already enough pressure and you're not helping whoever doesn't win.
Speaker 2: We should all agree to burst into tears after.
Speaker 3: Beauty I don't sunrise.
Speaker 4: Yes, if Hamish wins, we should all just.
Speaker 3: Stand up to walk out.
Speaker 2: We sure that everybody we should make we'll stay stated. If he wins, we all just stand up and walk out.
Speaker 1: Well, I reckon, if Hamish wins, he will take you all up there with him. That would be my prediction.
Speaker 2: Would you agree and we just turn around and go You're on your own, buddy.
Speaker 3: Sorry? Bye?
Speaker 1: And can I just say that when we're talking about reaction and Lina like everyone cries, that's that you're an actor.
Speaker 5: Though you probably.
Speaker 1: Can cry, not just speaking and Sonya, but they might not be able to cry.
Speaker 6: I had to do a Logi's promo with Lynn on the weekend, and I was so nervous because I had to act with Lynn.
Speaker 3: You were fantastic.
Speaker 1: You've been in a bas Lerman film.
Speaker 8: To change.
Speaker 2: We had such fun and and just on that. We kept changing the script all the time. And I actually, I don't think I'm giving Oh no, maybe I'm giving it away.
Speaker 3: I won't give away.
Speaker 2: I turned to Sonya and I went, do you mind if I go dah, don't take this the wrong way, but do you have a dressed normally.
Speaker 5: Silver?
Speaker 3: And she goes, what are you talking about? I'm off to the gym.
Speaker 1: Sound Sonya pops out to get some milk. I would like to ask you each about those observations of your own career and your respective industries. Sonya talking to you, for example, a lot of life TV under your belt. I know Ali you do as well, But Sony, you obviously are very famous for just mic drop moments and saying talking of Sam Pang, it's a bit like that, you know? Did she just say that? One of the observations, of course, of the culture that we're living in now is that everyone's very quick to jump on anything. You know, you get canceled. This happens a lot of people are reluctant to even go on live TV now. Having hosted and co hosted some of those shows, what are your observations and how does that sit with you now? Well?
Speaker 6: I love live television and I think I will always love live television because of the fact that it is a little bit dangerous and I think when we're watching it we almost enjoy it when things go slightly off the rails because we don't want perfection.
Speaker 8: Perfection is kind of boring. So I do love that.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, when COVID came along, its shut down a lot of live production in Australia, and so we do shows now that often recorded as live so that if things go and sometimes you know, you'll make a joke just for the room, thinking Okay, this is just for them, so I'm gonna I'm gonna go here because they're gonna cut it out, and a few times they've left it in and that's disturbing, especially at school drop off.
Speaker 5: That's what's the best example.
Speaker 8: Of oh man, oh to.
Speaker 6: I've just made a couple of you know, very borderline that you know we could make sitting here, but you know, I probably wouldn't want Maggie to hear you know that that's gone to air. And so yeah, I mean I love live television.
Speaker 5: I always will.
Speaker 6: It's probably I know what you're saying, though it is it is becoming more and more difficult. I suppose to to have fun the way Sam is going to on the night of the Logies, and that's why I'm glad it's him doing it and not me.
Speaker 4: But that is you at your best as well, I think. And when you go close to the line, it's just it's a wonderful dance that very few people can do, and you do and you can actually cross the line where lots of people can't and get away with it like there is a cheekiness to you that it just.
Speaker 5: It just works.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 6: This has changed too, because years and years ago, I think when I first started dancing, it was twenty years ago, Peter Meakin said to me, I know I'd said something and it had caused some kind of an uproar in the paper about something, and he said, Krueger, you're a woman. You're not allowed to have a sense of humor. I don't get me wrong. I love Peter Meakin and he was a great mentor for me, but he was What he was saying to me is you have to be careful because you're going to be judged differently as a woman about your sense of humor. And so I ignored that and just continued on with everything.
Speaker 3: But that's why, amongst other things.
Speaker 2: Why you've lasted so long, it's because you are genuine and you haven't tried to mold yourself to be something that you're not. And because the audience can see through it like that, they can absolutely well.
Speaker 1: And I mean, Ali, I know this a part. You're obviously hosting a Current Affair, and then you co hosted the Today Show for a couple of years as well, and it's often commented that a role like that, where you're in people's living rooms as yourself for several hours a week, that there is nowhere to hide. To Lynn's point, people can sense exactly who you are. How have you found the changing industry over the course of your career in terms of we talk a lot about how broadcast media has changed. This week as this cover comes out, the Project, for instance, has gone off fair. It's in a similar timeslot to a Current Affairs, so people have gone, well, that's it. It's impossible to capture audiences for news and current affairs in twenty twenty five. How are you feeling about a huge question here? Just answered yeah, no, no, I.
Speaker 4: Disagree with that, and I think we're quick to sort of put down free to wear and free to way. It's changing for sure, but news, current affairs, sport absolutely critical to free to wear, and I think there was a bit of a drop off when people move to streaming. But we're looking at our numbers now and our numbers not only steadied, we're growing them. And we've changed how I think, because not everyone is sitting down, so yet we're live at seven o'clock. Not everyone is sitting down and turning on the television at seven o'clock. We're still getting that audience, but they're watching it online. They're watching it just on delay so when it kind of works for them. But we're looking at our numbers and you would find this too, you know, Sonia with you know, our audiences are strong, our audiences are good, and you know with Oka, we're across the board because we're not we're not We're not a right or a left leaning show. We're not for a ritual for Paul where like we do, we cover everything and you know where we're about to do a big domestic violence forum where we have all the you know, we have police, politicians, judges in the room along with victims and survivors.
Speaker 5: And then what will.
Speaker 4: Probably do the next night will be some sort of chase of dodgey bloke down the street, who who who owes granny couple of thousand dollars or took a money and ran you know. I mean it's a tapetory of our show and we have a really locked on audience that we never take for granted. But the audience is there, and the audience is still watching free to air.
Speaker 5: It's not dead.
Speaker 6: Can I add to that too, because I think from a news perspective, if anything, news is growing on free to air because if you look at this amount of time taken up in the day now, that is that news fills from sunrise, will Today's show, right through the mornings to midday news, to afternoon news four o'clock, five o'clock, six o'clock, then you've got ACA seven o'clock. You know, we have late news services. There is actually a lot of real estate occupied by news. So I think the demand for news is definitely there, as well as the demand for you know, quality Australian drama and escapism entertainment programs. So the audiences are there, and we've changed the way we look at the rating system now because we know that people watch television differently. They watch it on demand, they watch it on devices, but they are there.
Speaker 2: Lynn.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you, as an actor, you are saying goodbye to a character that you have played for more than three decades, moving between being working in TV. And of course that's changed too, hasn't it The way that they're film that they've changed studios, locations, and the distribution model of a show like Home and Away has evolved a lot since the early nineties. And now, as we talked about, you're on stage, live theater. How do you say goodbye to a character that you've played for that long because obviously you've never played a character for that long prior to now. Was it hasn't been difficult going and inhabiting different characters?
Speaker 2: Honestly, Sarah, I have to say no, I'm not one of those actors who takes you know, irenees Irene's departure story was it was hard. It was hard work. It was hard for myself, for Shane Whinnington, with whom I played a lot, and ate A Nicodemo and Emily Simon's and all my close friends on the show. Was it was hard. But I'm also not I'm not one of those actors who takes things with me. I would be honestly in the palace for the peculiars if I was, because I would would have lost the plot years. So I can believe it and return to it. So in answer to your question, look, it was a long time coming. I knew it was coming. I was so exhausted by the end of filming back in March, my last scenes on the show. I sounded like a drag queen. I had no In fact, the next day I was diagnosed with what do you call it, influenza? Ah, And they said, now you need to isolate because you're highly contagious, and I went, well, I've just hugged five hundred people, including the road workers outside Everly, so I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.
Speaker 3: But because I'd had my injection, and I don't.
Speaker 2: Want to get into an argument about, you know, inoculation, but I had had it, and I was only crooked for a couple of days, and then I was back and I bounced back. I was fine, but I was so exhausted and I just needed the time was right, Sarah at the time was absolutely right? And now it's been where are we March April May Jun so it's the best part of four months. At no point have I gone or have I made the right decision.
Speaker 3: It's just onwards and upwards.
Speaker 2: And to be able to go, yeah, I don't think I'll do that, or yes, I'll audition for that and fail it like every other actor auditioning. It's just it's joyful. It's lovely. And in saying that, I'm so blessed with my thirty three years at home and away because it's like winning the acting lottery. To get a gig for that long is unbelievable. It really is like winning the lotto.
Speaker 1: And you would never have foreseen that when you were first starting. As you say, the character started so differently. I mean that character surely had six month contracts contract.
Speaker 3: And then they said do you want to come back in three months for maybe a year? Hell yeah, And then thirty three years later they still had worked out and know what I was done.
Speaker 1: Do you think, well, your trajectory do you think post Summer Bay with thinking something Alie Sonya maybe Chris Hemsworth.
Speaker 8: I'm thinking, I think you've got to go directly to Hollywood and.
Speaker 4: When you're rang early it was was that actually.
Speaker 3: On them?
Speaker 6: Honestly, so look at Jackie Weaver. Her career is now bigger than it's ever been. So I would, as your agent, taking twenty percent, recommend you go to Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: And I could see I could do Harold and Mood, a remake of Harold and Maud.
Speaker 3: We love it.
Speaker 8: Can you do an American accent?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I can do a cerven one.
Speaker 8: I can tell it's really.
Speaker 1: You'll have to accept. Maybe if you win the Gold LOGI you might have to accept accept it.
Speaker 3: Say that just a little off story.
Speaker 2: There's a beautiful actress on our show called Allie, and she plays Dana on the show, and she's fabulous and quirky. But whenever we used to do a run through of lines, we'd either do it in an Irish accent, or we do it in a certain accent. So you have things like Dana, you come here now and you sit down because I have to talk to you about something very and pultent.
Speaker 1: And some of the real Aussie dialogue, yeah, thing of some of our olf slides like stone the Crows, Flame and Crows.
Speaker 2: I honestly we used to have such fun. So yeah, I kind of dig a Southern accent.
Speaker 1: Do well, Yeah, final question, let's go back to the Logis where there are on Sunday, August three. Who do you think will win? I'd like to ask each of you that, and who do you think should win? Ali?
Speaker 5: Lynn and Lynn stop it?
Speaker 8: Second way to put the muzz on me.
Speaker 5: Girls, Lynn think that will and deserves to.
Speaker 2: Oh look, that's very kind girls. I do you know what I'm leaning towards. I'm leaning towards Lisa.
Speaker 3: Or Poe. And I think ABC as sneaky audiences.
Speaker 2: Look at look now they are, look at Kitty Flannagan sneaky, their little sneaky squirrel audiences.
Speaker 3: They pretend they're not voting, but they are.
Speaker 2: And I think Poe will have a huge following given her heritage.
Speaker 3: Rightly so.
Speaker 2: But yeah, look, I think it's I really think it's a it's an even field.
Speaker 3: And if Hamish wins, I think we.
Speaker 2: Should all scand up, walk out and give him the finger.
Speaker 5: You know what, if he wings, he'll do the same thing.
Speaker 1: There'll be a spotlight on an empty chair.
Speaker 5: He'll be in exactly.
Speaker 1: That's right. Well, I wish you all all the best at the Logis and it really is to be nominated, isn't It's nice.
Speaker 4: Truly, it truly is it is really nice to you know, to see everybody acknowledged for the hard work that they're putting for a really long time. It's, you know, it's it's just a great moment that you've just got to enjoy the.
Speaker 2: Right absolutely, as Raymad messaged me and he said, congratulations mc granger, enjoy the bullshit while at last.
Speaker 3: I can show you hilarious.
Speaker 4: It gets the final on that note, I can say no more perfect and you can see fabulous Sonja Krueger, Lima Granger and Ali Langdon fining.
Speaker 1: For the Gold LOGI at the sixty fifty v Week Logi Awards on Sunday, third of August. Thank you so much for walking into the studio.
Speaker 3: Thanks good luck.
Speaker 1: You can find out more about today's guests in this episode show notes and a reminder that you can also watch this episode on YouTube. We'll also find a link to that in our show notes. Thank you for your company today. I hope you've enjoyed this episode, and if you're not already, make sure you're following something to talk about because we'll be back with another exclusive guest next week.