Speaker 1: The jury of the jailhouse has its own opinion. Very interesting lot inside. They can be fairly uncompromising when it comes to crime and punishment.
Speaker 2: A guy who stole a cat flat from Bunnings was up on a charge of theft because he stole a cat flap and then tried to get a refund.
Speaker 1: The cash is master. Cruinal ice has not improved things, hasn't.
Speaker 2: No, It's made the life a whole lot worse for police and judges in the country.
Speaker 1: I'm Andrew. Rule is life in crimes. We have a lot of interesting people come to our studios or sometimes call in, and today we've got one of the best. Our back court reporter is the name of her book. It's also a description of what she used to do. This is Jamel Wells Jammel. I noticed a year agol from Cooba way back in the day, and that you used to write at shows like Sydney Royal and other places where I think your dad used to take you with your favorite pony. How does a girl from Coba Pony Club, I imagine, end up reporting on courts all around the nation? Tell us about that journey.
Speaker 2: I think by accident. Andrew I had always wanted to be a journalist when I was at school at Koba High School where I went to school, it was public school. I think they were only about eight or nine people who did their HC. And for a lot of my subjects, I didn't actually have a teacher. I had to do them almost by correspondents. And then I left school and went to work as a journalist in commercial media, and I read and worked in radio and commercial radio newsrooms for quite a while, and then eventually down my way to the ABC and one of the court reporters left, one of the Sydney court reporters moved into State and one of my bosses said, oh, do you want to do the court round? And I had covered an ICAC inquiry before that, which was a lot of fun, and I thought, oh, yeah, courts can't be too different from ICQ inquiries, and then if very different, And then I was petrified because I thought, oh, no, what have I done. The thing about court reporting is, as you would know, no one can actually teach you how to do it. They can suggest things and tell you about some of the protocols, but it's very much a job where you have to learn on the job, and you have to follow other people around and learn as you go, and no day in court is the same, and there are hundreds of different courts, you know, there are local court, district court, Supreme courts, federal court, high cords. And it was trial by error, and I was certainly thrown into this whole new world of legal jargon. And I think what appealed to me most was the theater of court rooms and the fact that every damut of human emotions comes out in a court room and it can be really sad and disturbing, but highly entertaining as well. So I did the court and I still do. You do some court reporting that I did do the court round for about a decade for the ABC, so it's a long time.
Speaker 1: In that time, you've covered probably hundreds of cases and in dozens of courtrooms. But I note that you've covered some cases that are of national renown. One of them is the Gordon Wood trial, which was a long running, very messy affair, and that of course takes us back to the untimely death of his girlfriend, Carolyn Byrne. You know, of course, Gordon Wood, our listeners might recall, was a tall, blonde, handsome young man that used to be Rene Rivcny the late millionaires private assistant and chauffeur. Interesting job description and so on and so forth. It was an interesting case because it sort of picked up on a lot of people in Sydney cafe society for one of a better phrase. You of course will remember the facts of the matter, but just run a bit of it past us.
Speaker 2: Well. That was one of the first murder trial like covered and it was very high profile. Gordon Wood was accused of throwing his model girlfriend Caroline Burne over the Gap, a well known suicide spot in Sydney's eastern suburbs. It's out in Watson's Bay, and he was accused of doing so because he was jealous and obsessed with her, And the crown case was that he went out there with her late at night, they had an argument and he somehow pushed her over the gap. Now, his defense was that she had had suicidal thoughts, she had mental health issues, and that she had committed suicide. After a very long running trial, he was convicted, found guilty of murder and jailed, and then he won an appeal and that he was acquitted and then walked free and then started to sue the State of New South Wales for malicious prosecution.
Speaker 1: He was acquitted.
Speaker 2: As he mentioned, it had high profile witnesses such as Jim Dally Watkins, the modeling agency entrepreneur who had trained and managed Carolyn Burne at some stage. It had very high profile magazine editors and celebrity psychologists and very high profile Sydney business people who all created in and out of the Supreme Court at down at Taylor Square in Sydney giving evidence. And of course Gordon would was very very tall, blonde, detractive man, had a whole lot of glamorous people he hung out with, but he had always maintained his innocence. There was an inquest into her death and it didn't conclude that anyone should be charged, and Carolyn Burn's father believed all along that she had been murdered, so he pushed very very hard, and her former employer, Jean Dally Watkins did that too, And before this matter actually got to trial, they went around a lot of businesses around the gap around Watson's Bay where this well known suicide cliff was, and they handed out grocers and photos of Caroline and set as anyone seen her, and they gathered witness statements, and they really pushed hard. The police had a bit of a setback in the case. One of the detectives who was at first investigating it actually got hit by a bus halfway through the investigations. So the police said all along that they were very under resourced. They mixed up some of the evidence. For example, we found out at the trial that they had posted a place where her body had been found, but it was actually the wrong place, and they'd got some of the evidence mixed up and changed around. So there are all sorts of setbacks and complications. And I remember at the start of the trial, I think that the jury had to be discharged because one of the jurors had decided to go out to the gap themselves and their own investigation, which jurors are told by judges not to do. So there are all sorts of twists in turn on the way. And the day he was found guilty, it was early on a weekday morning and the jury had been out for some time and the jury foreman called the court staff, whom they came in. It was about nine point thirty in the morning, and it was a very very quick quick decision, and it was quite shocking when the guilty verdict was read out and Gordon, who'd been free on bail and walking in and out of the courtroom, was suddenly taken into custody.
Speaker 1: Now your reaction your a veteran court reported, Well, I don't know if you have veteran then, but you've certainly become one since. I guess you've seen a lot of trials and a lot of accused, and a lot of people found guilty and a lot found not guilty. Were you shocked yourself when that happened, and did you think that's a miscarriage of justice or were you happy to sort of go along with it.
Speaker 2: Look, that was one of the very first murder trials i'd covered, and there were compelling cases on both sides. You had the then Chief Crown Prosecutor in New South Wales, Mark Tedeski, who was very articulate and a great performer in a court room and presented this compelling case. And Gordon Wood also had a top defense barrister, Winston Terracini, who I think he was nicknamed Terror or something. He was quite short of stature, but highly articulate and a fantastic defense barrister. So there were two very very compelling cases, and there were a lot of witnesses and everybody, well, I mean, as reporters, we do this all the time. We all say, oh, I think I know what happened, or I think it's going this way. But the truth is, I've found that you never really know which way jury's going to go. You can be quite surprised by the chamblin.
Speaker 1: But what was your reaction? You're the jury for me.
Speaker 2: Shopped because it was one of the first trials I'd covered, and it was so dramatic, and the guilty verdict was read out and he was taken into custody in suddenly it was this just this mad flurry of you know, as as it always his reporters gathering at said the court, trying to get grabs from all the people involved. And then everybody came out and made a statement. Carol and Burne's father came out and made a statement, and then Miss jin Dally Watkins came out and made a statement. I think Winston spoke at the time.
Speaker 1: But were you surprised at the verdict? And then were you surprised when he appealed and won over time?
Speaker 2: No, No, I thought there were some perhaps holes in the crown pace, but if it had gone either way, it was a really big, dramatic day in the cortand it was quite overwhelming.
Speaker 1: You were day You weren't personally invested in one way or the other.
Speaker 2: No, No, because it was one of the first trials I'd covered, and it was a how do I say? Yes? It was important in that this was someone's future being determined, and there are a lot of grieving family members wanting justice for car and burn, but it had been a big, celebrity, high profile trial. There hadn't been any Some of the trials that have really stayed with me over the years have been murder trials involving children, for example, or whole families who've been murdered by someone in their own time.
Speaker 1: That leads us to at least two others and money is the very well known case because there has been a lot of coverage with television programs. The murder trial of Kelly Lane, the young woman water polo player, big, strong, fit, athletic young woman who was accused and convicted and jailed over the death and disappearance of a newborn baby. Is that right? Can you take us back over that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's right. Kelly Lane was a very very good water polo player. She'd been chosen as to being in Australian teams for very high profile competitions, including the Olympics. And she had a baby daughter called Tigan, who mysteriously disappeared, and she has argued all along that the child's father took her and that man has never been found. So that was the evidence presented to the court at her trial, that she gave the child up to its biological father. But the crown case was that she somehow murdered the child and disposed of the child's body. But Tiggan's body has never been found. That that is really important, and Kelly Lane was asked repeatedly to identify this man. A few people were presented as the possible father of the child, but she argued that she wanted to maintain his secrecy and you know, she didn't have to reveal it or reveal his identity. So it's interesting though she was jailed for murder after being found guilt. But the trial judge who presided over that case, he's now retired just as.
Speaker 1: He actually he's over his shyness problem. He doesn't mind a.
Speaker 2: Chat He said in retrospect that it troubled him at times that the jury wasn't given the alternative charge of manslaughter to consider. And I can't quite recall why that happened at the time, but he has said that that that verdict troubled him for some time, partly because of that reason. She's lost new recipeals as we know, and we've heard various reports over the years of her fate in jail. You know that she has had issues of being assaulted by other inmates and whatnot, but she has maintained her innocence all along.
Speaker 1: The jury of the jail house has its own opinion. Very interesting lot inside. They can be fairly uncompromising when it comes to crime and punishment. They throw boiling water around all sorts of things. It does seem a strange defense that she gave it to unknown man who vanished.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the evidence presented at the trial was that soon after getting birds, she went to a wedding and was filmed. You know that she snuck out of Auban hospital in Sydney's West and then was videoed dancing at someone's wedding. Quite remarkable, and the other evidence presented at her trial was that she had had several pregnancies and that she'd hidden them from her various partners, so that was quite quite profound as well.
Speaker 1: She's a complicated character. No matter what the truth is of this baby's disappearance, she's got a very strange background. There's another one now. I wasn't very familiar with this until I had a look at it. It's very much in your South Wales case, but it was a very big case in your South Wales and as where really a national podcast, I think we should have a look at it. That is the trial of Jeffrey Gillham, who was accused tell me if I'm wrong of killing not only his brother Christopher, who which I think he admits, but killing his parents, which he strongly denies. He appeals and on appeal he was acquitted. This is one of those peculiar family murders where you know one person is accused of wiping out the rest of the family. Tell us a bit about that.
Speaker 2: That's right, he was accused of murdering his parents and his brother. And that was a trial that was heard very very early on in my career, when I wasn't quite covering the court round and I think I inherited that trial from the prenecess at various appeals along the way, but from memory. He was accused of starting a fire or something that wiped out his parents, and the crown case was that he was motivated by greed. He wanted money, as is the motivation of many people have worked out people, and we hear this a lot in murder trials, and we hear money as been the center of much conflict in courtrooms, not only in the city but also in the country. If I might talk about a story very close to me, in my little home town of Cooba, there was a very well known family, the Setries, Margaret and In Setri, and they were good community people. They did a lot of volunteer work. They were loved in the town. And their son, Scott Setri, who we can name now stood trial for murdering them, and he had a lot of mental health issues. And at his trial, it was a judge alone trial, the court heard that he had an argument with them over a bottle of wine. So he took a gun from the cupboard and shot them both get at point black range in their Coba home and then covered in blood, he walked into the local pub and there are retired police officer recognized him and said, mate, it covered in blood. What's wrong And he said, I think I've done something bad. So this ex cock phoned police and that all unfolded. Now, why this turned out to be a really significant trial for my hometown was that he was actually found not guilty by reason of mental illness. And so you know that means that the judge says, okay, you had to go to a prison hospital until you are deemed well enough to be let out in the community, and there's no conviction record. Now, his sister, Wendy Robinson lobbied the new South Wales Attorney General for years to try to change that because it really upset her that people could murder their parents or murder a family member and then be found not guilty by reason of mental illness. So she's still lobbying away at that. But it ended up in court over money because he stood to inherit despite murdering his parents. He stood to inherit something like a million dollars from their estate having killed them. So Wendy applied to the court to have something called a forfeiture rule forced by the judge and the judge you heard that case, said look, I'm going to enforce that rule. I'm not going to give you you a million dollars, but I am going to give you one hundred thousand dollars because at some stage you're going to get out of jail and you're going to be a burden on society. You know, someone's going to have to pay for your upkeeps. So I'm going to give you some money for your care. From what I understand, he has been I think he's due for paroles soon or some sort of day release. So I know this because Wendy's been contacting the media and saying that A she's concerned about that, and B she still wants these laws changed where people can just be found not guilty by reason of mental illness. She wants it varied somehow so that there is some sort of conviction recorded even though there's a mental illness finding.
Speaker 1: She thinks that it's not mental illness, that it is staged. That even going to the pub covered in blood, some might say, is a good way to stage mental illness. You know, why would you do that? If you were just a genuine murderer, you wouldn't dub yourself in like that, etc. Etc. What's your thoughts.
Speaker 2: I think he did have a history of mental illness, and the issue is that being out in the country, there's very poor health care and no mental health care at all, and he had not been taking his medication according to the family, but there was no backup and no follow up. So few years they had tried to get him mental health care, but the truth is there's none and so at that time he wasn't able to see a psychologist, psychiatrist, counselor wasn't even able to get into a GP. So that's another big issue in the country and I see a lot of that in the time I've spent in country courtrooms, not just in my hometown but all over Australia. The law and the health system are really closely linked because a lot of the judges and magistrates in the country say, Okay, I want to send this person to a drug rehead program. I want a few different bail options for them, but they can't because there's no rehab. You know, A lot of magistrates say, look, you know, I want you to go and get go and see a GP and get a mental health care plan and get some counseling and you know, get your life back on track. And I've actually seen young people in the court go your honor. You know, I can't get into a GP for three months. And they're not exaggerating that the health is so bad in some regional areas, the health care, I should say, it's just nonexistent. So the magistrates are limited in the sentences they hand down and in the way they release people on mail and run their courtroom a lot of the time.
Speaker 1: Ah, I see. It's interesting in that case, had there been a little more enforcement about locking up guns, he couldn't have just reached into a cupboard and pulled one out. If his parents were concerned about his mental health all those years, perhaps locking up guns might have been a good trick.
Speaker 2: Look, it might have, Andrew, But I think they were very trusting country people who tried to do the best for him. You know, we heard in court that they'd lent him money, they'd paid his bills, that they made excuses for his violent outbursts, as parents do to protect their children. But you make a really good point. At a lot of the courts I've sat in in the country. You know, gun crime and gun violence is big because farmers have guns, they need them for part of what they do. And especially in a lot of domestic violence cases, there are a lot of you know, men who have access to guns and use them to threaten women. Women who access have access to guns use them to threaten men. A lot of kids get come before the courts because they shot animals on someone's property or just gone and shot up the tires of someone's car out of boredom, because they have happen to do so. Guns and weapons feature a lot in country courtrooms.
Speaker 1: Country courts here now, I think you covered a terrorism trial. Which one was that, Oh, there were a few. What's your favorite or your least favorite?
Speaker 2: There was a very long running one and it went for over a year. It was a number of young men, I think there were about half a dozen of them, and they were all charged over with terrorism offenses after a series of plots were uncovered to do things like blow up the Harbor Bridge and behead the Prime Minister and all sorts of other atrocities. And they purposely built a court room out at Parramatta in Sydney's West for this trial because they thought that the courtrooms in the city weren't secure enough. So this trial courtroom was built. It was high security, and these young men stood trial and the judge who jailed them, I think most of them are on parole now. The judge who actually jailed them, he said, you've shown no remorse, and they were doing things like standing up and yelling at the judge in court, and their supporters in the public gallery were quite aggressive towards members of the public. And the judge said, if I could jail you some longer, I would, but the legislation as such as I can only give you this genial term. And they all got various jail sentences, but they were essentially jailed for plotting terrorist attacks. And what we heard at that trial were allegations that they'd been out in the country around places like Burking Country, New South Wales, learning how to fly planes and training out in the bush, learning how to use gardens and things like that. So it was quite scary. It was quite that very confronting.
Speaker 1: Is a question. It'd be intriguing to know whether those people approached to teach those people to fly planes. Wonder they're an unusual cohort and maybe I'll mention this to some did that happen.
Speaker 2: No, they didn't at the time. That there have been cases since then of people. I think there's once before the courts as we speak, people accused of training overseas pilots to do things that they shouldn't be doing and whatnot. There as an American fellow before the court. Yes, yes, so that that is an interesting one. I think at the time it was the start of a lot of the terrorism related crime we have in Australia now and it was the first really big trial for it, and there was one running in Melbourne. I think. Concurrently there was run all the year before the year after Benbrika begin so there was just a whole string of trials together, but there were all sorts of suppression orders and it was only some time after the trials we could talk about them. But this one went for over a year. It was a long time to sit through a trial and I felt for the jury it was a big chunk out of them.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's intriguing with big cases and once committed, they've really got to stay there. You know, they might put fourteen in to allow two to fall by the wayside, but it's a big deal, isn't it. For people.
Speaker 2: It really is. And people say that after being on juries, they say that it's been life changing, you know, for all sorts of reasons. A it's a year out of it would have been a year out of their life. But be you suddenly, if you're a juror in a room with a group of strangers and you suddenly forced to work with them, get on with them, you know, make decisions with them, I think that would be hard. And what we heard at that trial too, was that initially some of the jurors had been followed to their cars by people. Oh yeah, yeah, So what they had to do was then bust them in. Every day as extra safety precaution, a bus would pick up the jurors to make a secret point and bring them to court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's wonderful. It really sort of reassures you about it the authorities and how the countries run. Really all this sort of stuff can happen. Now you've sat through a lot of things in court, how do you feel for judges, magistrates, perhaps even some lawyers and jurors the risk of going to sleep after lunch. Have you found that a problem? You know, at two o'clock in the afternoon and there you are in and they're droning on and the sun's coming through the windows, and you think, my head's going to nod and I'm going to go to sleep here. Is that not a terrible thing to happen in court?
Speaker 2: It's awful if you snore, because you're busted straight away. Look, truthfully, I have gone to sleep in some courtrooms. I have never seen a judge go to sleep in the court room, and especially in some of the country courtrooms I've been in, because their workload is so big. They've got this huge list to get through, and it's been my experience they're just plowing through it all as quickly as they can. But a lot of what you see in city courtrooms, in long running trials and things is is really boring. I mean, there's the dramatic and really interesting stuff, but there are whole lots of statistics and re enactments to things on video and experts you know, analyzing dark and all important stuff. But yeah, ted is for people who aren't experts in it themselves. So I really admire judges and magistrates for keeping their composure and sitting through it and understanding it, yeah, and trying to make and directing jurists to consider it properly. That's really important because if the judge doesn't give the right sort of directions to the jury, you know about how to interpret this stuff, and you know that that can have really awful consequences.
Speaker 1: If you were dictator for a day and they said, okay, Jamelle, the jury system do we really need it? Or should we have trials by judge alone with perhaps two assistant experts in their field, or should we have an inquisitorial system? What would you say? You're a dictator now, so waiver wand.
Speaker 2: I would say judge alone.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: That's just a very personal thing because I've sat through a lot of trials in a lot of different juries. But I have spoken to top crown prosecutors who swear by the jury's system and they say it's a great system. It's not perfect, but it's great. But my personal preference would be for judge alone. What I have seen in covering a lot of country courts for this latest book is that most of the stuff you hear in country counts is local court stuff before a magistrate or an inquiry or something. It doesn't often involve a jury. And what I saw was that country magistrates do a whole lot more than these city counterparts. They're like bush doctors. You know, they do a bit of everything. So they they might do a bit of children's court working in their local court, they might do an inquest for a day, or you know, they're doing a little bit of everything. They might use some family violence matters, whereas in a city court room, magistrates have a lot more leeway to bat things around to each other. You know, they'll go on my list is full for the day, I want to move this over to court five or something, or I want to find another another person to A country magistrate just doesn't have that liberty. And what I saw was that they do work. I would argue a lot harder, a lot longer hours, and there seems to be a very high mental burnout rate. Like one district court judge I spoke to you, who'd spend a lot of time in the country, said she just used to go home and lie on the couch at the end of the day. And like coll Up, she said, I was just so overwhelmed by the caseload. Another magistrate, for example, this is how hard their job can be. She was in the sixties and she drove to Burke to preside over Burke Court in out New South Wales, and this group of children broke into her hotel room and tried to steal her handbag and her car keys. One got in through the window and let the others in and she fought them off, and as she was ringing up for help, they came back again and she fought them off again. That now, luckily she wasn't badly injured. But that's the sort of stuff that can happen. They're often driving around long distances. One magistrate who actually retired when he was in his fifties because he said that was just so overwhelming, had death threats, had you know, spoor stickers painted on its garage. This was way back in the eighties nineties, and he said, when the drag ice became a big problem in country communities, you know, people started jumping the dock and swearing at him and trying to attack him. And he said, that's when we started to build glass walls in country courtrooms. We'd actually just needed them to keep people away away from us. And the court staff.
Speaker 1: Ice has not improved things, hasn't.
Speaker 2: No, it's made the life lot worse for police and judges in the country. There is a really really bad ice problem, and especially in a lot of towns like Marie and our New South Wales. One case I wrote about it was a judgment against two indigenous teenagers. They one was I think twelve, when one was fifteen, and they knew that their neighbor was going on a holiday with her children, and she was an elderly lady, so they assumed she might have some cash in the house. She woke up in the middle of the night. She could hear all this crashing and banging, and they broke into her house with bricks. They smashed windows, smashed the door. They bashed her with bricks and left her for dead. She was just crawling on the ground and they took her handbag, which had just a few hundred dollars in it. She somehow survived that and crawled next door alerted. The neighbors ended up in hospital. I saw the photos of her horrendous injuries, and the really sad thing is Andrew she couldn't go back to that house. She was too scared. She moved out of town, moved into state with her family, and the two kids were picked up pretty quickly because they left fingerprints everywhere. So they got charged. They came before a district court judge. He said, look, you've got no structure in your lives. You don't go to school, you don't have proper meals, you don't have parents looking after you properly. So he thought that a custodial sentence was the only way to maybe make a difference to these kids' lives. So he gave them a couple of years in juvenile detention. But then they appealed against it, and a panel of judges in Sydney overturned it and they walked free because they thought it was too severe. Now, there were members of that local Maury community really angry at that decision because they wanted to try and help these kids see what they'd done was wrong. And there were prison interviews that are part of the judgment, and one of the kids says he's talking to a relative and he says to the relative of oh, I'm not sorry for what I did. She deserved it. There's a twelve year old kid.
Speaker 1: No, it's a wicked business. Well, Jamelle, we could talk about this for ours. Is there so many fascinating cases I have to say that, like most journals of our vintage or my vintage, I've spent a bit of time in courts, and I think that it's full of the most human stories that if someone said to me, let's start a new newspaper tomorrow, or a weekly newspaper, well, perhaps an online newspaper, I reckon you could nearly base one on courts. I just think it's full of very human stories. And every week, somewhere in Australia there's a great story unfolding in a courtroom.
Speaker 2: Well that's very true.
Speaker 1: I'm in.
Speaker 2: Is you do that, I'm in, I'll join you.
Speaker 1: Yes, right.
Speaker 2: There's just so much and I would encourage people. People say to me, oh, how did you choose the country courtrooms? You went into your latest book, And I essentially just went on a few road trips and I drove around and just dropped into courtrooms, and mostly I was welcome because country court staff and magistrates don't get a lot of attention. Quite often, the media doesn't report on them quite often. I had a hostile reception. They drawed it to throw me out, and they're just not used to having the media in there and being under that sort of scrutiny, and that's important because our system of justice, you know, we meant to have open justice in Australia, and the truth is, unless it's a closed court, any of us can walk.
Speaker 1: Into a court, which persons sort of took it on himself to think they could throw you out or even discuss it.
Speaker 2: Mostly court officials. However, I did get thrown out of Foster Local Court on the Mid North Coast for writing because I dropped in there one day and all sorts of fun things happened at Foster, like a guy who stole a cat flap from Bunnings was up on a charge of theft because he stole a cat flap and then tried to get a refund at the cashiers could master gruner. So I was sitting there and you know, writing writing notes, and then the magistrate suddenly looked up and he said, madam, stop writing. You know, the noise is bothering me. And I was really embarrassed. So I was tapping on my iPad, you know, because we're allowed to take iPads. So I just said, I'm sorry, you're on it, and I rested a notebook on my iPad and started writing on the notebook, and he thought that I disobeyed him and I was still taping on the iPad. So he suddenly stopped and he said, get out, get outside now. So these board country court officers, who had nothing to do, you know, dived on me taking me outside. They were so excited that they had something to do and out in the foyer. I had to argue with them to be let back in. I said, I'm I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disturb the magistrate, but I am allowed to take notes in court and here I'm writing on a notebook. But in the foyer I made a whole lot of new friends, all these people who are up on dragging and driving churches. But I thought it was really cool. And one of them goes, what did you get chapped out for? And just said, I it's nothing exciting. I just checked out for writing. It's not nothings dramatic as you would think. But they thought it. They were all rallied around, you know, they suddenly had a cause. And one of them is yelling, he'd go on, take your camera in there, take your camera in there. I get and that wasst.
Speaker 1: Is that magistrate get a bit of an airing in your book.
Speaker 2: He does, he definitely does us.
Speaker 1: Yes by name, Oh he gets named. Yes.
Speaker 2: He did apologize because what I did. I googled myself on my iPad and I gave it to the court officer and I said, look, I am a journalist. I am allowed in court. I'm sorry if I disturbed he might am allowed to take notes. Please go back in. And so about fifteen minutes later the court officers came out and they apologized. But when I went back in, I was like the elephant in the room because everyone kept looking around, and the magistrate was very embarrassed. He said, I'm very sorry, madam, there's been a misunderstanding. And then at every lull in the proceedings he would look at me, and then the staff would turn around and look at me. It was was really funny. It was very great.
Speaker 1: And who is that magistrate.
Speaker 2: It's Magistrate Hardson from memory. Yeah, well that's a lot of fun, a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: A lot of fun. Well, you don't hold grudges. Good on you. It's been a delight to talk to you. It's fascinating that somebody's gone to the trouble to go around and do that. And it is a very fertile field and I look forward to I've started reading your book, which I just just got recently, and I was hoping to read more of it before we spoke, but I'm going to read the rest of it this weekend. Can you tell our listeners what it's called and where they can get it?
Speaker 2: So it's called out that Court Reporter and ABC Books have the Colins and at all good bookstores online and in bookshops if you just google out that Court Reporter have the Collins, ABC Books. I think it's also in the big big small words big W and clam out and what not to, so it's pretty easily available.
Speaker 1: It should go very well. Thank you to Melwells. And I hope you want to Ripen at Sydney Royal all those years ago.
Speaker 2: Did you? Thank you very about joking with you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. Life and Crimes is a Sunday Herald Sun production for true crime Australia. Our producer is Johnny Burton. For my columns, features and more, go to Heroldsun dot com dot au, forward slash Andrew rule one word. For advertising inquiries, go to News Podcasts sold at News dot com dot au. That is all one word news podcast's sold. And if you want further information about this episode, links are in the description.