Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday, January twenty seven, twenty twenty six. Former Liberal minister Linda Reynolds has warned the producers of a controversial new documentary premiering at the Sundance Film Festival that she will sue them if they allege she tried to silence Brittany Higgins. That's after Reynolds's successful defamation action against Higgins and her husband David Scharraz. Another week, another leadership drama in the Federal Liberal Party, with rivals Andrew Hasty and Angus Taylor counting their supporters ahead of a potential challenge to embattled leader Susan Lee. You can follow that story live at the Australian dot com dot au. They were once among Australia's most influential media families. Now the billionaire Stokes clan wants out of Network seven altogether. But if Rival nine is anything to go by, journalism takes a back seat when the accountants are driving a media business. Just ask nine superstar Karl Stefanovic. He's taken a huge pay cut and been allowed to start his own Rival show, So what's that all about today? The Australian's Media Diary editor Steve Jackson is here. Steve Jackson edits The Australian's Media Diary and Steve, from time to time you write about the really big moves in Australian media. The one that I'm very interested in for twenty twenty six is the sale of seven West Media by Kerry Stokes and family. Kerry Stokes is one of Australia's most interesting business people. Adopted as a child, grew up in real poverty, became TV repair man, ended up owning Channel seven and becoming very powerful.
Speaker 2: Now he's selling out.
Speaker 3: Why Kerry Stokes is Channel seven, He is the man. He's the driving force behind its success. When he came in it was indisputably second place to nine nine. We're still the one, the dominant channel. I think everyone remembers the ads, but Kerry Stokes comes in, he decides I'm going to change things up. He's brought in the right people, famously brought across David Lecky from nine and then he started building up Channel seven and low and behold over the years. He really was the force behind driving its success. Mainly because he believed in television.
Speaker 4: Because I love what we do. I love the fact that, regardless of the headaches, we produce for the Austraunian public, quality news, quality sports coverage and good entertainment.
Speaker 3: He might only have ever counted as one viewer for Channel seven, but he was a very important viewer and he actually knew what audiences wanted. And internally at seven, they've always prided themselves and being the barbecue chuk network, you know, the network that gets what every day Alie's like, the.
Speaker 4: News from people who know what they're talking about. Seven nightly news with knights at six.
Speaker 3: And he's been such a huge part of that and supporting it, believing in the station. He watches the channel when he's away overseas on holidays, he gets tape sent to him. You know, he wants to know what's on air because he loves it and lives it and breathes it, or at least he has up until now. What we've seen is a massive change in the media environment. Mister Stokes, he's going out. He's decided that after a little prolonged period of upheaval, he's got other things to do with his time. He wants to spend more time with his family. He wants to go skiing in his cabin. He loves scuba diving off Indonesia, and he's handing on the Keyst's kingdom to his son Ryan. What we see with Roy coming in is going, you know, we've got this massive seven Group holdings. It's making billions of dollars. Unfortunately the media arm contributing one percent of the profits to that, if we're being kind, but causing them ninety nine percent of their headaches.
Speaker 4: And he's just said not interested.
Speaker 3: Let's focus on Borrel, Let's focus on West Track, the stuff that's making us money. The media is nice, but for us, that's not the big picture anymore. They had a forty percent stake in seven West Media, which includes obviously Channel seven but also the West Australian newspaper and a number of online entities.
Speaker 4: But they said all right, let's move away from that.
Speaker 3: There's been a merge with Southern Cross Austeria, which is obviously a massive radio network, has triple am Hit Networks, and their shareholding has come down to twenty percent. But now I'm hearing they don't even want that twenty percent. And Ryan Stokes has instructed the incoming chair of Seven Group Holdings.
Speaker 4: Let's get rid of it. Let's offload it now.
Speaker 3: It's not the first time that we've seen the air to a major media empire.
Speaker 5: Go.
Speaker 4: That was Dad's thing. He loved it. For me, Me not so much.
Speaker 3: James Packer famously did it when he took over Nine from the other Kerry that was a major media mogul.
Speaker 5: In two thousand and six, James Packer sold the bulk of the Nine network to a private equity group for four point six billion dollars and upped his anti and casinos around the world, but was hit hard by the global financial crisis.
Speaker 3: And look, did he get out at the right time. I reckon history would say that James made the right decision then, and I reckon that we'll find that from a business point of view, Ryan is making the right decision now. As we all know, media is the game that you're getting into just to make money these days, probably not. There are other things that make heap more money, as obviously Ryan Stokes knows. But meat has always been about more than that. It's about influence, it's about passion for journalism, and sometimes those things that drive the media organization sending someone at great expense, a crew at great expense to a war zone that doesn't make money. It's a social responsibility that you feel as media proprietor. So from a business point of view, if you don't love the media, you don't really want to be in it. There are easy ways in the world to make a buck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be a tycoon, you probably have to really enjoy the combat and that's something that Kerry Packer absolutely did love.
Speaker 2: He loved going into battle with politicians.
Speaker 1: Kerry Stokes probably too, although there's one issue that Kerry Stokes has been very circumspect about and that's how much influence he had over his network seven about one of his pet topics, that is Ben Robert Smith, a former Australian soldier, received the Victoria Cross, our highest medal for gallantry, and was accused by nine of being a war criminal, a finding that was subsequently upheld in court, despite the fact that Ben Robert Smith always denied having done anything wrong.
Speaker 3: Kerry Stokes has lashed out at the latest reporting of allegations surrounding Australia's most decorated soldier, Ben Robert Smith.
Speaker 1: Kerry Stokes always backed him to the hills, and also said that he never instructed anyone at seven to cover the Ben Robert Smith's story one way or the other. He said the only thing he ever did was to ring a news director and say that he wanted the story covered fairly. He said he never rang a journalist with specific instructions about that or any other story. What's your sense of how much influence Kerry Stokes actually had on the journalism of seven.
Speaker 4: It's a good question.
Speaker 3: It's not how I think he ran it, it's how I know he has never and I will say this unequivocally, he has never told a journalist how to cover a story. He doesn't have to. That's what news bosses are for, mister Stokes will say, and he is one hundred percent right.
Speaker 4: He is allowed to have a view.
Speaker 3: And if he tells his news director I think this, his news director is capable of saying, no, you're wrong, this is the way we're covering it. And with Ben Robert Smith, as we've seen in that case, Channel seven did despite what mister Stokes may have directed or encouraged or suggested that his news network do, we did see that they did. They'd actually cover that quite robustly. They did play it really straight. Their news coverage didn't overly or overtly support Bars, it didn't attack him either. They made a really principled decision to cover it honest and fairly. And I think part of that is they know, no matter what anyone says, if they don't do that, News Corp. Nine are quite rightly going to call them out and say, hey, you're being a cheerleader. So their news coverage I don't think was tainted. Were they encouraged to take Brs's side, Yes, they were. Was it a directive or just a point of view? Well, I'm going to leave that to you and the listeners to the side.
Speaker 1: So, just like a younger James Packer, Ryan Stokes just can't be bothered with all the drama that comes with running a media empire. Every story creates a potential headache. So you'd think that getting out of seven is the right thing for the Stokes family at this time, but is it the right thing for the people who work at seven or the viewers who love seven.
Speaker 3: It's a game changing difference, right, because when you have a media proprietor who believes in journalism, who loves it, who wants to invest in it, even when it's not the smart, economical, accountant driven decision. That's when you know you've got your full backing. And as a journalist someone in the trenches, you love that. The problem is when you have those media proprietors who believe in the product and who believe in journalism exiting the business and income the accountants and the accountants take charge and it's run like a bank, then you know, for a journalists you lose a lot of that trust that you're going to have that backing or where we're going to be encouraged to push the envelope, because we've seen it with numerous media companies.
Speaker 4: Income the accountants.
Speaker 3: They take charge outgo a lot of the stories or a lot of the backing to do big hits that aren't financially viable, and all of a sudden sixty minutes budget it's coming down because the drive that it's got to be the biggest news and current affairs show on TV, no matter the cost, that's not essential anymore.
Speaker 4: Now it's got to pay its way.
Speaker 3: So when the accounts take charge, it's a worrying is it going to change everything?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I think it will.
Speaker 1: And now, of course we see nine, which is run by the accountants, looking to sell off its radio assets. What does that mean for the rest of the nine group.
Speaker 3: It's funny that the accountants are the ones who want to sell off nine Radio, because I would suggest they're the ones who've created all the headaches.
Speaker 4: You've got the jurnos. They're still doing their thing as best they can.
Speaker 3: Their newsrooms are trunk massively, but the accounts who have come in and ruined that model. What happened is nine took it. I over paid a lot of money for it, heaps of money, and then they've gone, you know what we're going to do is we're going to get rid of their entire sales team and we'll just get the guys who are selling the ads on TV selling the ads on nine radio.
Speaker 4: Turns out, audience is very.
Speaker 3: Different, and the Bowling Alley who wants their ad on nine news or in married at first sight that don't really care about a demographic of sixty plus who are listening to nine radios two GB or three airw that audience. That's the Mattress warehouse crowd, you know, or they want to know about something that they can buy for their grandkids.
Speaker 4: So the idea that there's going to be this.
Speaker 3: Massive synergy doesn't work because there are two very distinct audiences. They've come in the accounts, we're going to save all this money, and all of a sudden they've killed the whole business model. I caught up with Spotlights Liam Bartlett in Sydney last year and we're out at a restaurant and this lady's come up to me when he's inside, he's ordering a pizza and a lady's come up to me. Is that Liam Bartlett from sixty minutes? Because you know he also had a show on nine Radio. He's doing a showing Perth on six PR the morning show.
Speaker 5: Nineteen minutes to midday. Have you ever been in a meeting, any meeting?
Speaker 3: I'm from nine Radio Sales, you know. So we're selling ads in his Perth radio show. How's that going good?
Speaker 4: The advertisers they love it? Well, can't get enough? Do you think I could say loadin? Yeah? Sure, why not? And he comes, oh, you know we're selling ads in your radio show and limb, well, thank you very much. It's very kind of you to say.
Speaker 3: And you know, the joke being that after she leaves, Liam hadn't been on sixty minutes or nine in radio for two years. He's over at Channel seven at the opposition. Meanwhile, the Integrated sales team is still pitching his ads. So the advertisers they need someone who actually listens to the show. And I'm hearing the same thing out of Melbourne advertisers saying that the TV guys they're trying to sell them ads on three W they're not even up to date with what the shows are, who the presenters are. So that is what they've lost when they try that synergy and you lose that passion or connection with the product. The advertisers they're advertising because they listen to it, they know it, and when the person trying to flog them an ad doesn't know what they're talking about, all of a sudden, that confidence, that trust has lost. The accountants sometimes by trying to save a little bit of money end up costing him a lot of money. And that's what we've seen in nine Radio.
Speaker 1: Coming up, Why is nine letting its biggest star start a rival podcast? You revealed in the Media Diary this week, Steve that Nine's biggest star, Karl Stefanovic has created a bit of an exit ramp for himself.
Speaker 3: Yoday, everyone, It's Karl Sevanovic and this is the Karl Stefanovic Show and my first guest live from a beautiful picture.
Speaker 2: What is that exit ramp? And how's it going?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, my phone went into meltdown this week when the news about this broke. So there are a couple of factors at play here. Carl, He's had twenty years on the Today Show. Everyone at nine cannot believe that Karl has been given permission to do his own podcast. People at the highest levels of Nine outside the ones who signed off on this, are going, what the heck are we doing? We've given Carl permission to start his own pod cast called the Carl Stefanovic Show, which they believe is basically what the Today Show has been for the last two decades, and he's doing it in direct competition to his own network. But where's the sense in that? So Carl's saying, you know, I've been held back for two decades on nine. I haven't been able to unleash the beast. He calls it unleashed the beast. Now I'm going to be doing that, and everyone's going to unleash. He's never been prevented from interviewing anyone, and then up pops the first episode surprise surprises Pauline Hanson. I'm not sure about you, Claire. I reckon that the list of people who haven't interviewed Pauline Hanson over the years is shorter than the list of people who have.
Speaker 1: Also, Carl's trademark is always being raw and authentic and being himself, letting it all hang out? Is it it?
Speaker 3: That's always been his chard, and that has always been part and pass of the great, the great sixty minute stories he's done, and he's always done that. So to suggest all of a sudden he's going to be doing something different for the first time, this is going to be the real Carl, the Carl you haven't seen drunk.
Speaker 4: After the Logi's on air.
Speaker 3: This is going to be the real Carl, you know, making jokes in a slightly what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: So nobody can wrap the head around it.
Speaker 3: Of course, what I know, and I'm sure you might have heard rumblings about yourself, is that his time on Today's coming to an end. It's been two decades he's never won. It's time for a changing of the guard. So last year he's contract, which was you know, let's talk and three million odd dollars, was up for a newle and he's taken a massive haircut, and on top of that, they've given him a one year extension. So as part of those conversations, I'm told he said, well, if you're gonna chop my paycheck by by about a third and put me on a one year contract, I want you to let me go and do a side hustle, a separate project. Does it make sense? Not really, because I'm sure if I said to you, look, Claire, I'm going to work four days a week for you, but on the fifth day, I'm going to do the really good interviews and do it for someone else.
Speaker 4: You can only have one master, so you know, will it work?
Speaker 3: I would have thought not. Good luck to him. Everyone's entitled to try something. If you're being paid more than two million dollars, maybe try it for your own network.
Speaker 4: But we will see.
Speaker 3: Obviously I've been wrong before, not often, but let's see how this one works out.
Speaker 2: Steve Jackson, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thank you always love Beerron, Claire. I hope we can talk against, so
Speaker 1: You can check out all Jacko's work anytime at the Australian dot com dot au