Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of every day Australians. I'm Uchaele Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner, founder of Sugar Mumber TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube, podcast, Instagram, threads, TikTok. Books like our book Twelve Months of Financial Freedom, coming out a little bit later this year in September.
Speaker 2: Hello, Canna, good morning, how are you.
Speaker 1: I am well? Today is going to be a little bit uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Oh I am feeling uncomfortable already.
Speaker 1: That's just because you're in the studio with me. Oh rubbish. I tend to have that effect on you.
Speaker 2: I feel like this this episode's going to be confronting. It's going to make people feel uncomfortable. It's going to call people to action. It's going to make people really reflect and look at themselves. But hopefully it makes some important change, and that's what we're really here to help people with. Make change.
Speaker 1: It's going to help I love how much you're hyping this up.
Speaker 2: I am I have to do because I find this. Yeah, I've got some I've got some sins to expose some demons.
Speaker 1: Yeh oh, we're going to do an in studio exorcism. Okay, it's not quite that serious. But everyone has something that they are avoiding financially, right, whether it's getting involved with your super or getting started investing, or sorting out your insurance or something. I'm feeling a little bit fut and guilty on a few of these ones. A credit card statement that you're just ignoring, even just opening up the banking app to see what's going on. It's always something that you'll deal with later, right. The intention is there to do it at some point, but it just keeps getting pushed.
Speaker 2: To the bottom of the list of things.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, there's always something more important. Today we are tackling financial avoidance, and perhaps optimistically we are going to overcome it.
Speaker 2: Ye of course we are. Don't even question it.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So I'm clearly glass half empty, whereas you are very much you're more than glass half full, permanently overflowed in us.
Speaker 2: To make huge transformations.
Speaker 1: In today's episode, what are the things that people most commonly put off? I feel like I gave a good list there, but there's more.
Speaker 2: It goes far and wide, So make yourself a snack, get comfortable, because the list is long of all the excuses that we've come up with and all the things we actually put off. So as you mentioned, like just doing a budget, getting started with investing, fixing, or just maybe reviewing your superannuation. Then there's personal insurance and general insurance, writing a will perhaps or updating your will. Even going and seeing a financial planner or something people often put off because they're worried about what the financial planner might say or think. Or even seeing your accountant, yeah, which is one that I think a lot of people also put off. Even seeing a mortgage broker, maybe asking for a pay rise, paying off pesky debt credit cards or buy it now pay later. Now. These are all high impact decisions and that's why they get delayed.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. It's when you go and see a financial planner, or you sit down and you sort out your insurance and you put that in motion, or you log into your super app and you start kind of having a poke around. So it's like going to the gym or something after you put it off for a long time. The do you know what I mean like.
Speaker 2: These I'd say this to Tom all the time after going to the gym. I'm so glad I did that. Why did I put it off? Why did I put it off?
Speaker 1: The endorphins are actually there right, the same as kind of like a post workout thing. But you get the same thing from knowing that you've actually put in place and put in motion some change. And some of those are big things, like if you are suddenly writing a will or updating a will that you haven't done, or kind of put in place a plan with your financial planner. But what is it that makes us do this? Is it this feeling that we are is it fit or is it just being overwhelmed?
Speaker 2: I think it's a combination of different things, and it's very much reflective as to what it is you're actually putting off. So, you know, for some people, yes, there's the fear of getting it wrong, you know, so, and they put so much pressure on themselves, you know. And then there's obviously feeling overwhelmed thinking, oh, this is too much of a big task for me to handle or do right now. I just don't know where to start, so I'll just let it be undone for a bit more. Then there's obviously the lack of clarity, not actually knowing practically what to do to do this or get started or fix this. There's also the emotional discomfort because sometimes we do have to face something that's actually hiding behind the reason why we haven't gotten started, which I'm going to share something with you in a little bit about where this where my procrastination boils down to a bit of an emotional discomfort. But then there's also I think the one that gets missed as well is the financial savings. So for example, someone knows they need income protection, they know that they're walking around exposing their family to unnecessary risk, but they also know that the premiums are going to be expensive. It's going to have to mean that they more money comes out at our account and we gn to review the budget. So they're just trying to just get through another month perhaps before they have to go and take out that policy. So it really does come down and obviously that avoidance creates that sense of temporary relief, but that also creates even greater long term pressure that builds up over time. And you know, it feels good in the moment, but it actually can become incredibly expensive.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's more common with the big decisions, because for me, a lot of it is a feeling of being a little bit overwhelmed by some of these things and not actually knowing where to start. The smaller things I understand, like if it's just about opening up my banking app and seeing where things are out looking at my credit card, all right, that's not so much being overwhelmed. But you get something big and chunky, like your superannuation or trying to unravel the density of insurance policies and things, those things just feel too big. So is it more common with those big decisions?
Speaker 2: Yes and no. So of course those bigger, more complicated, heavier tasks. You know, there are higher stakes involved, there's more risk involved, and there's obviously that greater emotional weight to get it right, get it perfect. But also, at the same time, interestingly, I think that smaller decisions can also get ignored for the longest because there's no pressing urgency behind it, and so it's very easy just to do it next week, do it next month. But at the end of the day, the problem isn't actually the task, whether it's big or small, it's the time that we are robbing ourselves of by avoiding it. And then, of course, even if it's smaller, it's big, it still gets longer, it gets heavier, it gets.
Speaker 1: Bigger, It accumulates, right exactly, Okay, And that's the thing that even if you've got a series of small things that you're putting off, they hang over.
Speaker 2: Your head, they keep you up at night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you do it just like the gym example, and you're like, that was actually a whole lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I don't know why I put it off, and I don't know why I held this, held onto this angst for so long. You can tell I'm talking from personal experience here, right.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of Alex's whole mosey? I think is how you pronounce it, Alex hole mosey.
Speaker 1: Well, considering I'm not even one hundred percent sure that's how you say it, no, I can safely say no, I haven't.
Speaker 2: So. He is a famous entrepreneur, and he's famous for scaling businesses, particularly gyms and gyms yeah in the American And I have listened to him on a podcast with Chris Williamson, and he says something that really stuck with me about this concept of you know, putting things off and procrastinating, and he said, we often spend more time procrastinating, thinking about something, avoiding it, feeling stressed about it, than it would actually take to actually do the task. And it really hit me because money, like budgeting, checking our super asking for a better deal with our bank, or speaking to a mortgage broker, those tasks in the rear reality of life actually really take just a couple of minutes, sometimes even a couple of seconds, but we delay them for weeks or some months or sometimes in my pace, years years.
Speaker 1: Yeap, what have you delayed? I have an image of you right built up over the last few years of doing this podcast as someone who is very proactive, obviously with your finances. You are very accountable to yourself and to others around you in terms of what you want to do. You do it, You say what you're going to do, and then you get it done right. I'm a do I have therefore, I have assumed that there is nothing that you will not tackle when it comes to money. But I can tell by the look on your phone I'm so ashamed.
Speaker 2: So my will is really outdated. It needs to. I created my will before I had my two daughters, Tom, and I am fully aware of the stupidity of this and there is and I have been putting it off. And even though I've actually eve had meetings with listeners to talk about my wills and what my wishes would be and all the nitty gritty pieces of information that is needed and the conversations I have to have with Tom, I have been putting it off embarrassingly for seven years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a long time.
Speaker 2: It's a long time, and I'm you know what, in preparing for this interview today. In this episode, it was quite a confronting experience I went through. But also I had to really explore, like I am, of all the people I know, how dangerous is this house, foolish this is, and how much stress I'm putting on my family if I die without a current will. And I really had to sort of see what was going on. And what I got down to was two key blocks, and they were very much emotional. One was the fact that I was frustrated that what I actually want to set up for my will isn't actually possible. For example, I have one thousand dollars project, and it's a diversified share portfolio. It's quite big. It's just under four hundred thousand dollars, and all the dividends, well, the equivalent of the dividends go to World Vision's one thousand goal project. What I wanted to is if something happened to me that that portfolio is held in trust and the dividends can continue on being paid to World Vision. Apparently that's not possible, So I'd have to basically transfer the whole portfolio over to a World Vision and they could if they wanted to. They were at there is that their discretion as to what they did with the portfolio could be sold down, which goes against my wishes. So I had that frustration that is not what I want. I'm not happy, So I didn't want to proceed ahead, and I spoke to a few different people who said the same. If someone's listening to this and says, actually I know how to fix this, please let me know. The other situation was I obviously my number one parody is looking after Tom Everything happens to me or my children, and my children or my children.
Speaker 1: It was not an either or situation. He can look after both.
Speaker 2: But I also wanted to make sure that my parents were taken care for in my will should they ever need to financially independent, separate to me. But I just always wanted to have a bit of a backup plan that if they have something happened and they needed funds or they needed extra help support, I was my estate could also take care of them. And again the advice was, you're making it too complicated. This is not necessary. And so coming to that place of acceptance and realizing sort of the complexities of this, I've just really avoided it and that's not good enough anymore, and it needs to be fixed. So I'm going to be making some phone calls today and I feel good about making that decision and going, all right, that's enough, like draw a line in the sand, like it's selfish what I'm doing and what I've done, see and irresponsible.
Speaker 1: It does, though, come from a place you have tried, you have attempted it, and you've hit roadblocks. Which is my common problem is that as soon as I hit a roadblock, it is enough for me to just push it away.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, I'm calling it a roadblock, but I think that's a lot crap. It just cannot be done. It's not a road block. I just need to work around it. So it's not an excuse for stopping. I just have to accept that that's the And also, you want a will to be reasonably clean and transparent and not be questioned, and you know, have to go through the courts. You want it to be very very clear. So I need to stick with waking it clear.
Speaker 1: It will not surprise you to learn will really know I do, I do all. I mean, it hadn't been updated for fourteen years, so I don't actually think Sean and I were married at the time that we that we made our wills, and now there's kids and everything as different now. But I don't know what it was about. Maybe it was knowing that this episode was coming up two nights ago. We sat down and went through everything in a great amount of detail, and working through it with the solicitors now in order to do it, and just the knowledge that you have started. It's not finished yet, but just the knowledge that it is underway is just such a relief.
Speaker 2: And you've got something documented that someone can refer to if you're not around to do so that it stipulates your ultimately wishes and dreams for all the things you've built from doing, from working so hard and being responsible with money.
Speaker 1: And honestly, it wasn't as hard as I was expecting. I'd built it up in my head to be something just so much more intense and so much more convoluted, and it doesn't need to be. And the fact is, as soon as you start taking some action, the problem gets easier.
Speaker 2: The layers kind of fall back, and then the barriers.
Speaker 1: And that's why you use someone like a solicitor, because they are able to help you through the bits that you find too hard. Right anyway, Okay, it's really become a personal kind of counseling session here and now.
Speaker 2: Like a confessional booth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is good. This is good where you're going to take a quick break. On the other side, I want to run through I'm going to give you the ultimate much challenge, right. I'm going to go through say four or five of the key areas where decisions are commonly avoided, right, and you are going to be given one minute per area to tell us how to resolve the block on that and to get some action in place today. Can you do that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I can love your confidence. I'm going to be timing you. I don't think you can. Okay, quick break back in a moment Cana. Today we are talking about the really what we're calling the old deal with it later problem. Everyone has one, right and we've discussed yours. We've discussed one of mine. I can assure you that there are others, but I have worked through them all. As a result, largely of doing this podcast. You have motivated me to get action in place, get things going. So we are now going to go through some of the most avoided things and in just one minute each you're going to tell me how to get started. If this is something that someone listening to this is avoiding, superannuation. Sorry, let me get my timer going, because I am going to crack if we at the time.
Speaker 2: I'm actually going to suggest that the listeners everyone right now that has a particular area where they need to confront something that they've been putting off, is they set a timer themselves. Great idea, and I'm going to suggest that they put their phone on aeroplane mode, so now I can call them and they go and leave their phone in another room and they set a timer for ten minutes. We're going to make this a game.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, than and then they take this and then do their own work on that within that ten minutes. Yes, perfect, okay, all right, in one minute, How do you get started? If you've been putting off your superannuation.
Speaker 2: So log in, check your balance, review the fees, review the transactions so you know that you've been paid the correct amount and on time, review the investment portfolio, and then do a quick search for any missing old superinneration accounts.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was fifteen seconds.
Speaker 2: Yes, I thank you.
Speaker 1: That's very impressive. And this is the thing that I suppose every super account now really you're able to access it through an app usually online. You can see all of these things. You don't need to wait for your statement to be mailed to you. You can see your fees, you can see your returns, you can see all of it, and most importantly, you can see to make sure that the contributions that have to be paid by your employer are going into your account. Exactly, great starting point.
Speaker 2: Just log in, right, so it's engagement. You know, we're not looking to perfect something here. It's about that TLC if you're super.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was under one minute. Even with my little contribution. Next one, good luck getting this one done in a minute.
Speaker 2: Insurance all right, Checking what cover you already have, which includes checking your superannuation because a lot of us have life cover, TPT cover, and sometimes even income protection okay, Then sitting down and looking at what your biggest financial risk is, so often your biggest responsibility, like you know, a mortgage is the one that keeps you up at night. And then start with the most important personal insurance, and that is income protection. So looking at whether you've got it, whether what the waiting period is, the benefit period is, and then making an appointment seeing insurance broker or financial planner to help make sure there's no gaps.
Speaker 1: It's remarkable how much a financial plan it can help you with insurance. And I don't think that's well understood enough that mostly you think it's investment and everything, but insurance there's just so much peace of mind and speaking to a professional that can talk you through it, particularly.
Speaker 2: Right now because a lot of people's person insurance policies have with everyone's type of insurance policies, they've increased dramatically and quite often, assuming you haven't had a change in health, often a financial planner can find you a new replacement policy to apply for that actually will be better value for money. So if anyone whose insurance premiums have gone through the roof and they're worried about that, see a financial planner because they be able to shop around and find you a more competitive premium. But obviously course make sure you get them to do it for you, because you never want to walk around expose. You never want to counsel any policies until you've got a new policy in force, but also in writing in force.
Speaker 1: Indeed, that was a minute thirty.
Speaker 2: Sorry, well okay, well it's a cumulative a minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right, that's fine. Yeah, yeah, you can use your surplus.
Speaker 2: I do want to say this though, you shouldn't be looking to ensure absolutely everything in life, particularly right now with everything being so expensive. You want to focus on what you can't afford to lose.
Speaker 1: Okay, great tip, investing one minute? How do you This is asking you to kind of distill your entire life's work into one minute.
Speaker 2: Good luck invest So start small. I don't care if it's ten dollars a week. The fact you're getting started is so important. But of course, like continue on leveling up and focus on the long term growth assets, you know, the shares, Australian shares, International shares, property, and then set up a regular contribution plan, a regular investment plan that is, so it's ten dollars per week, one hundred dollars per month, but reviewed on a regular basis. You continue on upping the ante. You're doing what you can safely afford, and of course make sure those dividends are reinvested automatically.
Speaker 1: Ideally, Okay, that was thirty seconds. You've banked an extra thirty seconds for the next one. Credit card debt. If you have been putting off dealing with a credit card debt, how do you just deal with it? How do you do it today?
Speaker 2: All right, stop using your credit card immediately, because at least that quarantines the debt. But I also recommend taking it off your phones, out of your Apple wallet, taking it off your computers, so nothing's automatically saved. That will make it so much hardest. You want to create some friction between going to buy something and then going and having to find your car, because you'll go, oh, you know, my coup people are getting up. I'll do this later and you'll probably forget about what you're about to purchase, which is something I have found myself many times when I've delayed paying, add friction, add to the process and make it really hard for yourself. For example, what my recent hack is to not eat as much chocolate. I don't have it in the house, so if I want chocolate, I have to get in the car, drive up the road, get into the shops, walk around the supermarket, way to the checkout, pay well, all of a sudden, don't have that chocolate craving as badly. Then of course, listing the balances, you know, using my hit list strategy where you focus on the smallest debt first and work your way through the list to the largest debt that you owe. And you know, really making sure that this is a priority for you, because there is such a toxic parasite of having this type of debt in your life.
Speaker 1: Last one. In one minute, you're already smiling a side hustle. If you've got this idea, if you've been wanting to do something but you're it off, how do you get going today? All right?
Speaker 2: Start with something that you are confident at, you know you're really good at, and people often ask you for help with you know, you know you've got an immediate market there for you. Keep it really simple and just focus on being consistent with it, whether it be you know, one weekend a month or one weekend a fortnite. Just keep on focusing on making that little business idea of yours to create that revenue stream that you can then put towards your goals and that little bit of extra income. Remember, it creates some breathing space in your budget and then of course you can build it that momentum o time. But again my financial planning hat on put that money into a separate savings account. And also don't forget tax well done.
Speaker 1: I forgot to start the time on that one. It felt dropped the ball there. It felt pretty good. It did feel about right.
Speaker 2: Well, you have a slight hustle as being a timekeeper.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Thanks, We were in such a positive place and you finished the episode with a very personal sledge I did.
Speaker 2: It was quite vulnerable in this episode.
Speaker 1: No, that was good. It was good. And I think that the fact that you have revealed that there is this element that everyone does have something that they're putting off. Yeah, it's just about action, just start, and as soon as you start, things will get easier.
Speaker 2: Listen to Alex Fas I can't say his surname now, Alex Whole, Mosey, hole, Mosey Alex. Oh my god, now I'm getting tongue tisted. He's brilliant, he's quite wet, controversial, he's got quite a polarizing opinion. But you listen to him, you will not be putting off anything because the fear of God of his opinion.
Speaker 1: If people want to find more information from you, where do they get you?
Speaker 2: The best place to reach out to me is on Instagram at Sugar Mama TV.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on fear and great business news you can use. Thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast, send a link to somebody who you think might benefit from this. And you know what, while you're at it, I did you pre order a copy of Twelve Months to Financial Freedom, our book that is coming out a little bit later this year. I'll put a link in the show notes as well. Thanks for your company. Join us again next week