Speaker 1: This is the Chrissy's One show. Do you know what a push present is?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do.
Speaker 1: Why do you know?
Speaker 2: Because I see people posting about them.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit like ghosh, I agree, and I feel like it's quite a new thing, right Like I had my first baby nearly sixteen years ago. Can you believe it?
Speaker 2: That's nuts?
Speaker 1: I mean again, I want to remind you I'm somebody's mother. Anyway, I had Leo nearly sixteen years ago, and I feel like they were just I just started hearing the words push present.
Speaker 3: Got it because if I brought up that term around my parents, they would laugh at me. We're how ridiculous.
Speaker 1: There's a lot about it I don't like, and it starts with the words push present. Ye I I just don't like it. And also what do you need a present for?
Speaker 2: Also, aren't you pushing out your present?
Speaker 1: Well, children have their own gift, that is true. But also I just I think it's bizarre because you know what I'm like with motherhood. Billions of people do it every day. Yes, yes, it's hard and it's challenging, and you know, everyone's journey is different, but it happens every day to women all over the world. I don't know, it's like getting a present for learning to walk, or it's like a human thing.
Speaker 2: We all do it, or a lot of us do do it. Yeah, yeah, it feels a little bit to Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I didn't get a push present, and it was never even a topic of conversation. The closest I got to a push present was when I'd finished having kids, so I have my three. I went to a jewelry designer called Caspartington, who I really love, and I've never had a fancy piece of jewelry in my whole life, and I bought myself a ring that signifies each of the kids got it, and I wear them in a stack bit big now.
Speaker 3: But I love that idea though, because that has some sentiment to it as well. It's not just like I want a cart yeah, I love bracelet. It's like, no, no, there's something there that like signifies what you just did, yeah three times.
Speaker 1: And you know I'm their mother. I congratulated myself for being that person.
Speaker 3: I will say, though, like I've got mates that I know like trying to get them and push for them, and I'm like, I'm all for it. If you can get one out of your husband or boyfriend or girlfriend or wife.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 1: So it just feels weird people even cars. And anyway, the reason we're talking about it is because we have found a Reddit thread. This guy wants to know. Am I a monster for telling my wife she's not worthy of what she's asking for for her push present. The whole not worthy thing is a bizarre way to say it, because everybody's worthy of everything. This guy says, my wife and I've been together for five years, she's pregnant with our first baby. She is asking for a push present. And at first this guy didn't even know what that meant, which is fair because it feels like a bit of a money grabe, like a wishing well wedding, oh ye, getting the bin. Anyway, it's basically a thank you gift to the woman who brought the child into the world. He said to her, the baby is your gift, and she said, but what about a nice new car? That seems extraordinary.
Speaker 3: Also, like, unless your husband is a CEO earning five MILLI a year, asking him for a car is a lot.
Speaker 1: It is a lot. And also that's a family gift.
Speaker 3: That's something that I think is often as well discussed at the start of the pregnancy or before, like do we have a car that can fit the baby or the two kids?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, And then you get that that's not a gift.
Speaker 2: No, that's a lifestyle thing you need. That's almost a necessity.
Speaker 1: Anyway, if I was buying somebody a push present, I would be very creative. I think what would you get? Like I would like to get we know, one of those clowns. What I'd like to buy someone for no reason and just see their face when they open it. Those clowns that you get at the carnival that you got to put their mouth, but like to put a ball in their mouth. Imagine that if you're a sweetheart, you're an amazing present and they open it, and then the present for you is their stunned reaction.
Speaker 2: You know, I'd be angry.
Speaker 1: Did you get a push present? How creative was yours? Did you have input into it?
Speaker 3: Or did you not get one? And you're really furious and angry about it. I'd love to hear that as well.
Speaker 1: The Christiest One show, we're talking push presents. If you don't know what they are, it's the gift you get for pushing out the baby. And I've never had a push present. But equally, I've never pushed out a baby because I had too.
Speaker 2: Much to push Sunroof baby?
Speaker 1: This would mine be caught? Would my gift be called? If I ever got one?
Speaker 2: They are a Sunroof Surprise.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it very twenty four ten? What was your push present?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 1: Michelle?
Speaker 5: Hi? Guys?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 1: Would you get?
Speaker 5: I got an eternity ring because we had our first baby and our first wedding anniversary within like a week of each other.
Speaker 1: Wow. And what is an eternity ring? I've never been given any jewelry. I don't even what that is.
Speaker 5: It's the third band with like an engagement ring wedding band, And I guess it just means, like on top of getting married, that you'll be together for eternity. But I think most people get it, like for a first child or after ten years, but having two anniversaries and a birth like a birth together. We I just got it.
Speaker 1: And how long were you engaged for Michelle before.
Speaker 5: We got married? We were engaged. I think it was about three years.
Speaker 1: Wow, So you've had your husband has had three very expensive trips to Bevil's the jewelers in a very short period of time.
Speaker 3: Michelle, did you ask for the push president, Like, did you kind of angle that you wanted something or did he do it off his own win?
Speaker 5: He brought it up. I think just because of the way social media is, he knew about it as well. And I was never going to say no totally.
Speaker 1: Did you get input? Like did you go into the jewelry store and say I'll have this?
Speaker 5: I gave options and let him choose.
Speaker 2: Pharmacy voucher for you, Michelle, let's go to mail.
Speaker 6: Oh guys, well she's lucky because I got nothing. My husband said that the baby was the present.
Speaker 1: Well I was going to say, you did get a living, breathing, crying, sleep depriving baby.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How did he break the news to you that that was your gift?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 6: I was binging on. Well, my daughter was born in November twenty seventeen, and that was the year that I don't know if you remember or watched it, but young yummy mummy, this was one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's when the mummies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's when you know they're getting their range rovers, they're getting their jewelry, and I'm just going, yeah, cool, you know I'm going to get something dropping the hint to him, but no, he just said no, the baby was the present. And I'm like, cool, dude, Now I'm next year it's our ten year wedding anniversary, so I want that eternity ring.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, I'm just thinking about yummy mummies. Was there one on there from Brisbane who had like a doppelganger daughter, Margarita.
Speaker 6: Margerita, Yeah, yeah, from Adelaide.
Speaker 1: Adelaide was it and the daughter was dressed up in like Kuchu Dior and everything.
Speaker 6: She still is because I follow her. She has her own instag account and she has like all these Burberry outfits and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, wow, oh my god, that little kid gets more than you get for being torn in two. All right, good look for the eternity ring. Mel Let's finish with Hi Katie, Hello.
Speaker 4: There, gorgeous people. How are you good?
Speaker 1: How long ago did you have your last child?
Speaker 4: Last child was seventeen years ago?
Speaker 1: Wow, And we're push presents even around then.
Speaker 4: They were just sort of starting and mind you, this was my fourth.
Speaker 2: Child, and what did you get?
Speaker 4: I got a plasma TV.
Speaker 1: I feel like maybe that was a push present for your husband.
Speaker 4: Definitely, definitely, And that was sort of when they were all coming out big tea. Yes, we went from having a little TV to a big one. Now I would have preferred a nice ring or something.
Speaker 1: It would have been a very exciting delivery though, And in fantasy to your husband, maybe he got the whole sort of relevance of push wrong. Maybe you just meant oh so, oh, hang on, I thought I was supposed to push the remote.
Speaker 3: That's one pharmacy voucher for you, Kke.
Speaker 1: The Christy Swan Shows, The Christy Swan Show. We welcome the other team member on The Christy Swan Show to the microphone. Hello Tom, good afternoon. I mean, if I had my way, you've been here all the time, and I know you've got work to do. I know, right, it's boring. Can you please, can you please tell the story again about you daring to leave the family home.
Speaker 9: I know it was a big decision.
Speaker 2: It was a big one.
Speaker 1: How many children are there? I am the second of four as four, they're all at home.
Speaker 2: They're all at home.
Speaker 9: I was the first to move out, so I had to pave the way.
Speaker 1: Loves a full nest, and you were the first I was.
Speaker 9: I was so there was a lot of pressure. But I moved out. I was you know, I was like, dare I say, happy to be out of home?
Speaker 1: But were you scared to break the news being the first and having the family.
Speaker 2: That you do? Oh yeah yeah. I was like I had.
Speaker 9: I sat, we were having dinner, and I was like, oh, I'm just have something to say, so.
Speaker 1: We know you gay, No, it was it was first.
Speaker 9: It was first I'm looking at places, and then I had to do it again when I had actually found it. Okay, so you broke it gently, Yeah, I did it softly, crumbed them a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 9: And then you know, i'd been out of home, I reckon for a couple of months, and I came home and Mum goes, I've got to show you something, and I went, oh, okay, great. She opens my door and she's turned to your old bedroom.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 9: Well, actually, to be fair, there was a bit of shuffling around, but the spare bedroom in the house she turned into like a dressing room.
Speaker 2: But in the dressing room it's like.
Speaker 9: A mismatch of all sorts of things, so like she's got a clothes rack in there. She made my brother build a rack that she can hang her bags on. Oh, she's building stuff. But there in the other part of the room, it's just a single bed.
Speaker 1: There was a bed.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: The message was clear though that you've left and you're not welcome back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes, And there's no personal touch to your room or that room anymore. It is simply a bed where anyone can sleep. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, it's you know, how did that make you feel? Because like I like to still know if things go wrong when not like after when I'm sick or after a big night, that I can go back to mum and Dad's house and have my bed.
Speaker 1: Is your childhood room still there?
Speaker 3: Obviously I have like kind of re remixed it, but yes it is, it's still there.
Speaker 9: Okay, this is what this is crazy because I was talking about it with people in the office and they're like, oh, my mom left my room as it is, Yes, still there most people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's two there's two ways to go about it. The mother that clings on to the memory of that time and it's like a mausoleum, a museum to her child and it's not touched. And then there's your mum.
Speaker 3: Four to ten, what did your parents replace your room with when you moved out?
Speaker 2: I feel like it must happen a lot more than we think. Oh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And there's going to be a lot of craft. I think there's a craft from a sewing.
Speaker 3: Room screams midlife Crisis.
Speaker 1: The Christy Swan Show, and we're talking about how quickly your parents moved on when you moved out of home and turned your bedroom into something that you were not welcome in any more. High stacy.
Speaker 2: Hello, guys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was the last child to leave, and I think my mum had a bid life crisis and turned my bedroom into an art studio.
Speaker 8: Oh ye has never painted before?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, now that is a well worn path because what shit? Well, can I give you an insight into a was going through her mind as probably a woman that was about my age at the time. She has spent so long parenting and identifying as a mother, and she's been waiting counting down the seconds for her last baby to leave the nest so that then she could be her true self. And weirdly, our true selves are often an artist, a soa you know, a gym junkie. That's what we co opted the room to become.
Speaker 3: I just would be so hurt, though, would you, Yes, Because that's my safe place, price and pharmacy voucher for you stay.
Speaker 1: Maybe would never do that.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Gabby.
Speaker 1: Hi, Gabby, what happened when you moved out of home?
Speaker 7: OHI guys. I my dad turned my bedroom into a bonzo a nursery as Bonzo nursery, and my mother turned the spare room into a gym that she didn't use for fourteen years. Yes, and they told me really directly, once you moved out, you did not walk back through those doors. You can have a meal, you can come and visit. And I was sixteen. I'm fifty three now. Yes, it was a long time ago.
Speaker 1: You moved that when you were sixteen, Gabby, and they still turned it into a gym and a bond sign nursery.
Speaker 7: They thought that I had it together. Yeah, that was I was hurt.
Speaker 1: I must say I've never heard of a bond sign nursery.
Speaker 7: That is no, nor had I and I haven't think and.
Speaker 1: You haven't seen No. I love that so much. You've got a father's about your coming to you, Gabby. Let's finish with Jilly.
Speaker 8: Hello, Jill, hellogos, how are we good?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: What did your mum fill your old bedroom with when you moved.
Speaker 8: Out, Well, what didn't she It was her tupperware room.
Speaker 2: That is so great.
Speaker 1: How much tupperware did she have?
Speaker 8: Oh, my good nurse, she had heap. She went to so many parts, and it.
Speaker 7: Was if you buy this, you get this, and you get that.
Speaker 8: And she just kept buying it and didn't actually sit in the kitchen. So then she started piling it up. And then I moved out in the late eighties when I was seventeen, and she was still going to parties. And then she worked out, if I became a consultant, I can get all this stuff. So even though she didn't need it, she brought it. She got it.
Speaker 3: How they displayed Jill, was it like on shelves or like tables or just on the floor.
Speaker 8: She had shells, she had table, she had them on the floor, she had them color coordinated, she had the soft sizers. It was insane. It was it was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 8: Back when you're seventeen, you think, oh, that's crazy. But now as a young fifty ish I think, oh, how amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm thinking that. Now I'm thinking what I wouldn't give to get into that room. And collected as well.
Speaker 2: I can give it another three years. You'll have a Taylor Swift.
Speaker 1: Room, my whole house, a time swimbreak, gackt. The Chrissy Swan Show is a Nova podcast. For more great comedy shows like this, head to novapodcast dot com dot Are you