Speaker 1: Mister bray Raley tackling. He wasn't tackle, He's got the bottom line, ran Sam Young scars on the summer.
Speaker 2: Series The Blues and Condes Sun Cop.
Speaker 1: Three, the host through the ages.
Speaker 3: Welcome to a very very special edition of the Code NRL Show.
Speaker 4: It's the Code.
Speaker 3: State of Origin Show. Michael carry onists. It is a great night if you're a new South Wales fan. But if you're a Queensland.
Speaker 2: Fan, you're sitting in roode chair.
Speaker 5: It could be the humble Pie Show.
Speaker 4: It is the humble Pie Show.
Speaker 5: Ready, how are you feeling, mate?
Speaker 2: Well? We lost simple, we lost a series, the Unlosable series. Was the Unlosable series?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was just very disappointing.
Speaker 6: They got completely outplayed and all my fears came true.
Speaker 2: Nathan Cleary.
Speaker 1: But to make a lot of tackles down here is Billy just poured out clearing. Right foot step accelerates, it's come to dot.
Speaker 6: There He's done there, played out of his skin. Wrote a column battle last Friday. He was the one fear I had.
Speaker 7: Yo to clearing Now to Martin dependent combination and a former panther crime.
Speaker 1: Now it's past the thirty dead. Sometimes again the right a RS step two right handed ball double for Clary, two tries for the world.
Speaker 2: He won Man in the mass, he won the wall inst Medal. So that was my concern. That's what happened.
Speaker 6: And queens And were off the place from the start, very disappointing, completely outplayed.
Speaker 7: Sometimes always said here we throughout the series, like I've read a New South was off too, I've got probably run about ru.
Speaker 2: Run.
Speaker 7: We sit here and we're highly critical of New South Wales individual performances.
Speaker 5: Right, well, let's do the same with Queensland.
Speaker 2: Let's stewart.
Speaker 7: They were inept, they were poor, they didn't handle the burden. The expectation had been favorites and they've they've bumbled and fumbled their way to a series lost. That was mediocre from Queensland. And if it was New South Wales, they'd all be sitting here smashing them.
Speaker 5: So let's return.
Speaker 4: So the key to these.
Speaker 3: Blues victory to Mixed Point was the fact that the Queensland had the Blues on the back foot for the first seven minutes of the match. The Blues were forced to have a yardage carry after yardage carry out of their own end. Queensland failed to put the slipper in early, allowing the Blues to get the jump on them and ultimately silence silenced that fifty two thousand Sun Corps dated even crowd very early in the.
Speaker 6: Mid like Munster Walker Ponger, We're out standing through the open two games. That bad nights tonight pretty clear when the series on the line. They didn't name up, they didn't aim up like Nathan Cleary, they didn't aame up like Mitchell Moses, who you bikes both wanted sacked?
Speaker 7: Right, Let's just find Mitchell Moses was out Did you both want him?
Speaker 2: Say you wanted Ethan Strange. Let's be honest, all right, Mitchell mos was outstanding.
Speaker 5: Focus on Queens we're talking about We'll.
Speaker 2: Get Callen Monster was outstanding.
Speaker 5: Get to South Wales and Caitlin.
Speaker 6: Had a quiet night as well. Harry Harry tried. I thought Harry tried really hard but didn't create like he has in the first two games.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt in the key positions Queens are outplayed.
Speaker 3: And why why did they not have the advantage to play because pain Hess Mitch Barnett Adam for Noil Blake silenced the Marines pack.
Speaker 2: The famous.
Speaker 8: Run breaking success of twenty fourteen Granilla Blake.
Speaker 7: What a pass, what a moment, best to be the open he gave them a.
Speaker 6: Repson Playoffs was that's one of the best games we have seen paintass play, not just at origin level, at any level. He was dominant. Right and again we've been critical of Adam Vanilla Blake. In fact, on this show we probably called.
Speaker 7: For I wouldn't have had it was amazing. He's first was what we've been craving for. We hadn't seen. He was outstanding. The credit where credits he was very good tonight Billy Sladers now lost two series the side as in Brisbane.
Speaker 5: Any pressure on him?
Speaker 4: Ready?
Speaker 2: He won three out of four series he's lost. He's lost lost two series out of five.
Speaker 5: But two in Queensland where.
Speaker 2: He's lost two series. Of matter where you win it.
Speaker 5: What matters whether you two of the last three series.
Speaker 2: But he's won three out of five.
Speaker 5: Mate, Okay, that's that's Freddy said that. Don't forget.
Speaker 7: Let's rewind when Freddy was when Freddy was coach, Freddy said said something similar went on the Golden Run to start, and then kept referring back to his record and.
Speaker 6: Next year it's a different conversation. Right, there's no doubt about that. Billy is a coach again next year. He loses next year and it turns three out of his last four series. It's a different.
Speaker 3: Certainly more weight to mix argument. You don't lose on your home saw Mate, not at Uncle, not at Lange Part. Statistically, statistically Queensland win deciders at Uncle, but they also hasn't been able to do it.
Speaker 6: Well, he's lost last two, right, but as I said, he's won three out of five series. That's what matters. It doesn't matter whether you win the series at Sunk Corporate, at the Core Stadium or the m c G or Perth. It matters that you win the series. That's what's important. And he's won three or five. And yes, if he loses next year, Billy will be under a Billy will start next year series under immense pressure.
Speaker 2: Why's smiling?
Speaker 7: I just love seeing you under the roads because queens they lost the series and we get to be critical.
Speaker 2: It's an unusual field.
Speaker 8: Pathetic fools are the losers, don't get or I was told, well, I want.
Speaker 6: To be I want to city to be magnanimous. Right, but you flew the first game. The series should have been over.
Speaker 2: Like I said, you've got very very lucky. You got very lucky.
Speaker 6: But I'm going to be magnanimals because you know what, I'm happy for Laurie Daily, because I've been as critical of Lori Daly as anyone, right, but I'm really happy for Laurie Daily.
Speaker 2: Who saw him after the game to night. He was in tears.
Speaker 6: You could see what what what meant to him, and we all love last night. He's one of the great blokes in the game in regular league. And I've been critical of his coach in this year series as well.
Speaker 2: You know what coach that.
Speaker 3: Was theft the bench right, They got the changes right.
Speaker 4: Spot on. But this is why easily you said I didn't give the Blues a chance. That's incorrect.
Speaker 3: I did because this was the best balanced side of the entire series.
Speaker 4: It actually probably took the.
Speaker 3: Wards of Origin one the Blood of Origin two to get to this point in time. Unfortunately, that maybe the benefit of being a three game series that he finally got there, and maybe they did get the rubber of the green in game one.
Speaker 4: Right, maybe, but that but that doesn't matter the results.
Speaker 3: The results and so when they get the Game three it's it was the best balanced team that Laurie has ever picked.
Speaker 4: Liam Martin was inspired.
Speaker 1: Didn't concur special? Did you come from about thirty?
Speaker 7: We've been critical of New South Wales right, but we said on this podcast last week or straight after the team was picked that this was the best site and the best bat balance side. The game two side was horrendous. For this Game three side, it just had the right balance to it. So you thought that they could be a chance. I thought Queens was gonna we let's not rewrite history.
Speaker 5: I thought Queens they.
Speaker 7: Were going to win, right, But that side that New South Wales pick was their best site and as Ready alluded to initially to start with, they outperform Queensland and they were so good in New South Wales, was like, so so good.
Speaker 5: Nathan Clear is open in stint. Yeah we've seen him do.
Speaker 3: There was the steel on I know he scored the two tris, but the steel on Selwyn Cobo was I think it was he.
Speaker 4: It was the moment for him.
Speaker 5: They don't win the game unless he scores two tries in the fir and.
Speaker 3: Like he says, the game he found capable with a nice big right foot step and then the support played through Crichton.
Speaker 7: He sets up the game right and we've seen him do it for Penrith. We seen him to do where he has these fifteen minute periods where he is untouchable, right and again it was like that and then his next big moment, you're right there. That was a huge moment, the one on one still but then he sort of.
Speaker 4: Goes, I don't know, he's such at the game.
Speaker 7: It's weird, right, like that fifteen minutes he's untouchable, right, and he sets up the game and New South Wales do not win again without Like game one, he wasn't the best player on the field, one man of the match because without him they don't win. Right again tonight, without Nathan Cleary they don't win this.
Speaker 6: This ends the debate over owning Origin. I heard Gus say on Channel nine. This owning Origin it's rubbish. It's not rubbish, right. The fact is to be regarded as one of the all time greats and awardal of the game. He needed to own an Origin series, he needed to win a decider. He's now done it. The debate's over for me. There's two mortals in our game, that or two Peblies should become a mortals. Camus Smiths won and that will happen soon enough, and the next play will be when he retires Nathan, because he's now you know, he's won premierships, he won the Wallly Lewis Medal tonight, and he and he owned origin. As I said, gust thinks it's rubbish in this area. Gusta know what he's talking about, right, because owning origin is a thing, and he's now owned it.
Speaker 2: I think knows a little bit about well, not on this front, so.
Speaker 5: Doesn't know what he is.
Speaker 3: I've written the exact same thing tomorrow's telegramy that the Immortal debate is now dead.
Speaker 4: Hail the new King, Nathan Cleary. Do you agree?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I agree, He's just it's just so we're talking about the peers that he plays. No, I haven't seen anyone play better peeriods than nathink when I'm talking fifteen minute blocks, right, we've seen camp Smith. There's two mortals in my lifetime, John's camp Smith. They're the only two that I would John's obviously an a mortal, and camp Smith I would have in there. But they dominate for eighty minutes. Nathan just picks his moments and when he goes in for the kill, they have none better.
Speaker 3: On the flip side, Sam Walker incredible in game one, incredible in Game two. Had a very very rough night tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, they got at it tonight. I think Liam mark cap on the other side of the field.
Speaker 7: The right hand side to put on his earlier so they got.
Speaker 6: After him and physically he spent some time on the sideline right, so he got beaten up a bit physically, and he never really got into the game. And I would say them, no, you know, but I don't think we should sell short Sammi Walker series. I think he had an outstanding series with Queens, and he just didn't have his best tonight. And that's unfortunate for people remember his last game, right, But I think he had a great series, Sam Walker.
Speaker 7: So people were talking leading into this game like, obviously Origin is a long way away from next year. Who knows what can happen, But Tom did and I think walks Up Start Walk Walk Up Star.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think if well, I was going to say, I would have had him going through.
Speaker 2: But I wouldn't have the way se him.
Speaker 6: Could you could, but next year Tommy walks into the team because he's the best half back.
Speaker 2: But at least you know now with Sam.
Speaker 5: If he's needed, he'll play Origin again.
Speaker 2: He's good Origin. Yeah, of course he got a month still retire.
Speaker 3: I spoke earlier about the Queensland Pack getting absolutely monstered by the Blues back. Would Pat Carrigan have made a difference? Did Billy make a blunder not playing Pat Carrigan? Uh?
Speaker 6: Well, I can't remember how the interchanges played out, but it was their first one. You would imagine I Patty Carrigan's I mean Patty hadn't played any footy into the game, right, that's the but.
Speaker 4: He was chosen by Billy. Billy and said he was ready to gain.
Speaker 6: That's the risk he had taken with Pat. But in my eyes, Pat's been a player than trently Era.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 6: So if you're going to bring one of them one, you'd probably bring on Patty. Right, There was obviously reason why.
Speaker 5: The only saving grace is that he hasn't played football.
Speaker 7: If he'd played, if he'd even had one game, yeah, I'd be calling it a blunder. But the fact that he hadn't played footy. They had to get Reese Welsh onto the field to try and obviously Sam Walker came off, but I think Reecee was probably used anyway to try and spark life into it. It's it's tough because you couldn't have used him as your first interchange, because if something had happened and you needed Pat to play sixty minutes off the back of having not played for a while, that would have been tough.
Speaker 3: Extraordinary how quickly it changes. We go into the game thinking that this could decide the origin futures of Blues players. Now eighty minutes later we see here thinking it has only solidified the future of so many Blues players. Jack Boss got on taboo, held his gloves up and and and biggest concern was him coming out of yardage.
Speaker 1: Throws it back a couple of bounces, walk at a grab. You'll pick out why he's trying to get it in behind the new South Wales defense. Boss stocks back there. He's gonna have a job to get back.
Speaker 4: He does. He does.
Speaker 3: That's a huge play, Jack Bosstop, that's an origin play. He did his best at a time when he was on the back floor. Great on the under the high ball. He'll get another crack for sure, Bradman best.
Speaker 7: All the changes, changes that they made are a winner, even the non changes because.
Speaker 2: Credit where credits kicking game.
Speaker 6: I thought the opening half hour just pin Queen's end back right, even when you said was struggling out of their own end, Mits just bombed bombed it long and the momentum change and Mitch showed tonight. He's an elite man like Nathan's obviously a great player and those we've seen that those two guys can play together and play well together because Mitch is an elite football.
Speaker 5: No one's doubted that Mitches is an elite player.
Speaker 7: It's just his form has been horrendously bad and was bad when he went back to Paramount.
Speaker 5: That was the concern because we all picked.
Speaker 7: I was happy for him to play Game two right, but off the back of that performance and the way he backed up for Paramatta, that was the concern. But he had a great game, had a great game. Stephen Crichton's return was awesome. You know, Liam Martin, what a selection, what a selection.
Speaker 2: We all called for that, but he's still still understand that was.
Speaker 3: What about I'm only not getting on what would you bring the constance, but.
Speaker 6: Liam Martin was like, that was that is the typle Liam Martin performance. He just got under everyone's skin, got instincts, face.
Speaker 4: Perfect, more of it.
Speaker 7: I can't knock the bench director. Obviously in an ideal world he would have gone on, right, but you know Cam Murray first, I can't argue with Adam finol Blake's opening stint best he's played in Origin but like easily better, better than.
Speaker 4: The best game he's played this year.
Speaker 7: Correct, correct, And then Coler had to come on just before halftime because of AHI. So if color doesn't come on, I think it gets used. And then I think they needed to use Brayley, having heard not used a second hooker.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I'll look on to in this instance. In this instance, unlucky not to get.
Speaker 6: On after bubbling the way for the first two games male game three when it matter there, it's that easy.
Speaker 4: Who knew Laurie daily. We still firmly believe this is it far.
Speaker 5: I want Laurie to ride off into the sunset.
Speaker 7: It's a perfect way to end. Told you so I can coach. Look what I've done. Unlucky Brent, unlucky Michael Dave. You'll still with us, but the rest of us, you know, like, go, you've done it, you've come back, you've won a series. You're won in Queensland. Thank you for your service, Laurie, well done. You've proved this all wrong.
Speaker 6: Yea, As I said, I mean, I hate it when Queensland loses, but I'm happy for That's the one thing I'm happy about because, as I said, we he got ridiculed and something not not by the media. I don't think you're ridiculed by the public, right, ridiculed by the public, criticized, and he got scrutinized by the media for his coaching and some of the decisions he's made. And that's how that's our job, right, that's what we do. And you know, I think the scrutiny was spot on most of the time, right, but he got it right when it mattered in the end, and he deserves immense credit for that.
Speaker 2: And you know, I'm happy for the guy because you could.
Speaker 6: See he has looked to me throughout the series inside guy, under immense strain, personal strain.
Speaker 2: So to see him tonight, you know, I'm happy for the guy.
Speaker 3: Probably the most controversial moment of the game was the opportunity for Queensland was a crossfield kick.
Speaker 1: What a kick?
Speaker 4: It is lost at high over Jojo fafeed his head.
Speaker 3: He challenges the ball, so too to Jack Boss got the ball bounces free, Bradman best ninety meters, scores a try. They go to the bunker and it's deemed not a knock on from Boss Stock. I admit I thought it was a knock I thought there was a touch there from Boss Stock.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's my first instinct to Dave.
Speaker 7: It's hard to tell because we didn't get a clear cut look at the replay, but my initial reaction live was that it was a knock on, yeah, and that New South Wales potentially got away with one that I think Ready's got a harder dance on.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 6: It was eighteen eight at that point, the game was still in the balance, right. It was a huge decision that changes that impacts significantly significantly on the game. Right, And for me, it looked like a knock on. Now, I'd like to watch you three well, I watched it three or four times time. It looked like a knock on, right.
Speaker 4: But in the call, Brad Fitler on.
Speaker 2: Got no luck in this this series.
Speaker 4: Here we go. All we had to do was give him an avenue to latch onto Robbed.
Speaker 2: I didn't say Robbed said they had no luck in this series.
Speaker 3: Brad Fidler in the Channeline commentary said that they used the an angle that we didn't see at home viewers, a corner post camera in line with the try line and therefore where the contest for the footy were.
Speaker 5: I need to see it. I need to see it because from what we saw it looked.
Speaker 6: Like why didn't we see that angle? If they were using it, we should be sure the punters should see that angle. Queens and fans should be given the given You know they should.
Speaker 2: Be because they were the ones suffered. They were the ones who suffered as a resultant that.
Speaker 5: You know why you suffered? Does your team played poorly?
Speaker 2: Yeah? They did, That's what you suffered.
Speaker 6: That was, on the face of it, a poor decision. I stand to be corrected if it's proved that it was right, but it did look very dodgy.
Speaker 3: It was a controversial decision. I must say. The referee actually climbed sensational. He came into the series under enormous pressure. I think he was fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: From a refereeing point of view.
Speaker 2: The control the game really well, you know, and I'm going.
Speaker 4: To make the games. He did get the big moments right.
Speaker 7: The three game series, the game flowed and you can't say he impacted the result.
Speaker 6: I mean, the bunker made that cool client. So what you like to see is the referee not have influence over the result, and I don't think he did. I think the teams decided the results. Well, actually I forgot he sent off the blakeoff in game one, but this game, this game, the teams decided the result, and that's what you want to see.
Speaker 5: The ref didn't decide the resulting Game one, he did.
Speaker 2: Send a boke off.
Speaker 5: It was the actions of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Of course. It was I agree with the center, agree with the center. I just said he didn't.
Speaker 3: You like.
Speaker 2: What I was saying was you.
Speaker 6: Don't know to see the referee influence the result, and in Origin what he did, but he had no choice.
Speaker 9: Lots of messages from people giving me stick. I'm sitting here cop and stick from you clowns because you finally won an Origin series, so you forgot what it's like to celebrate. So I understand enjoy your moment in the sun or your idiots pinging me. Enjoy your moment and the sun as well, because it doesn't last long because you don't get it.
Speaker 5: You're such an idiot.