Speaker 1: Live on Sky News. This is Sharry.
Speaker 2: Good evening. Welcome Well.
Speaker 3: I have a big announcement to make on the show tonight, so stay tuned for that. It's coming up. Also tonight, the writings on the Wall for alban Easy Labor now panicking that they're facing a major defeat. James Patterson, Steve Price and Cameron Milner will all be on. Plus Israel's hostages reminiscent of starved Holocaust survivors, yet the United Nations keeps looking the other way. More on this in a moment, and Alex Rifchin will be on live. And Trump's executive order banning paper straws. This could be my favorite presidential move yet and I'll tell you why a bit later, But first tonight, there are strong signs now that Albin Ezy is heading for a major defeat at the federal election. New political polling and the Victorian by elections appointing to a shocking loss for Labor. In my view, the best Albaneze can hope for. The best is a minority government, but a major loss is a live possibility. In the by election in the Victorian seat of Werribe on the weekend, there was a massive sixteen percent swing against Labor. In fact, Labour's primary vote in Werribe was the lowest at any Victorian by election in the state's history, and the Liberals picked up the seat of Piran from the Greens, breaking an eleven year Green streak. The Liberal primary was thirty six point two percent and two party preferred was fifty one point six The new Liberal MP, Rachel Westaway, said one of the reasons for her win was her focus on rising crime.
Speaker 4: People are feeling unsafe, people running down.
Speaker 5: The street of Chapel Street with the Mashitti.
Speaker 6: To five bombings, to work fire bombing of a local synagogue.
Speaker 7: These are outrageous things that we haven't seen before, in a consistency that we've never seen before, and we've just got to get on top of it.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 3: With homeless tents on Chapel Street and rising crime, inner city Melbourne is becoming kind of like in Minisan Francisco. Adam Bound's seat of Melbourne covers much the same area as Piran and with any luck, we'd see him lose his job at the federal election. Now, while Labour didn't run a candidate in the seat, the party does rely on the Green's preferences in many seats, and it would need the support of the Greens in the case of a hung parliament. Now, the top three issues that saw the Liberals win in this formerly safe Green seat were cost of living, crime and housing. So yes, it's a state by election, but the riding is on the wall for Labor and thankfully for the Greens as well. Question Albanezi will be looking at these results and panicking. His ministers on Breakfast TV today certainly indicated that they were worried.
Speaker 4: We know that people have been under a lot of cost of living pressure and that's how we're one hundred percent focused. Well, of course you pay attention, but I think one of the interesting things about this result is that there was a significant drop in the Labor vote, most of it didn't go to the Liberals.
Speaker 7: I think we'd known, regardless of what happens in a state by election, that this election is going to be really close. I think that's pretty clear. We take nothing for granted. We've got to continue to talk and address people's cost of living needs.
Speaker 3: And Labour's own. From a Victorian campaign chief Cosamaris said Labour's red wall in Melbourne's western suburbs has now crumbled and he said it's now a red barb wire offence.
Speaker 9: It is easily the last PRIMI vote recorded by Glabor Party and this is part of Melbourne well in Victoria's electoral history.
Speaker 3: Now at a federal level, I can tell you Peter Dutton is hoping to pick up five seats in Victoria. These include Aston, McEwen, Chisholm, Dunkley and Krangamite. And Dutton also has a chance in both Teal seats of Couyong and Goldstein. Now, aside from the results on the weekend, there's also Redbridge polling that shows voters and outer suburban seats are turning against the Prime minister. The survey shows the coalition is a head of Labour by fifty one and a half to forty eight and a half percent on a two pp basis, and it shows that Albanese's primary support has dropped to twenty seven percent in the suburbs, while Dutton's primary has lifted to forty six percent. Redbridge director Tony Barry also pointed out that the other big risk for Albanezi is Victoria, where he says the bottom is falling out of Labour's vote Now the hard truth is that for many Australians life is much tougher since the Albanese government came to office. Albanese's central attack line against Scott Morrison was that he was to blame for the cost of living crisis. He blamed Morrison for one interst rate rise. Yet there's been twelve interrastrate rises under the Albanese government. Now I'm not saying that that is entirely the fault of the Albanese government, but Albanezi blamed Morrison for the first rate rise, so surely he should now accept responsibility for the twelve sins. And in terms of national security, well, life was safe for all of us when Morrison was Prime Minister, and now life in Australia, particularly for the Jewish community, is unrecognizable.
Speaker 2: We've had dozens of.
Speaker 3: Incidents a violent crime in Melbourne and Sydney the premiers and police admit are basically terror incidents, even if the police refused to technically classify them as such. Now, even as we were horrified as all of this violent crime was unfolding, alban Easy government ministers preferred to speak about Islamophobia.
Speaker 9: And some of the anti Semitism and is Limophobia that I have seen is really not in keeping with who we are or who we should have sparked.
Speaker 10: Be sorry.
Speaker 11: So should we turn a blind eye to Islamophobia? Is that what the coalition's saying.
Speaker 1: If James Patterson thinks he's no as Lamophobia in Australia, he's wrong.
Speaker 9: He didn't say that, though, he said that when something happens, it should be enough to just denounce.
Speaker 2: And we went on to say that they're not at the same levels.
Speaker 3: So with all all of this, a crippling cost of living crisis and a devastating national security situation, it's hardly surprising that voters are punishing Alban easy and he deserves every bit of the political backlash that's heading his way. Now we know well the photographs of emaciated men and women after the Holocaust, those who survived the concentration camps were skeletal, hollowed cheeks weighing thirty sothter kilograms after starvation for years.
Speaker 2: And years and years.
Speaker 3: These images have always shocked all of us, shaken us, made us say never again. And yet on the weekend we saw precisely the same starvation of Jewish hostages repeated again three fathers were finally returned to Israel, but they were a shadow of their former selves. Ohad Benami went from this to this, or Levy from this healthy looking man to this skeletal figure, and Eli Sharrabi also unrecognizable. Now I have to say, this is twenty twenty five, not nineteen forty five. And President Donald Trump said, what we are all thinking that these poor men look like Holocaust survivors.
Speaker 12: People that were healthy people a reasonably short number of years ago, and you look at them today, they look like they've aged twenty five years. They literally look like the old pictures of Holocaust survivors, the same thing, I mean the same thing. And I don't know how long we're going to take that.
Speaker 3: The United Nations has, without cause, continually accused Israel of war crimes. Well, Antonio Guterres, you can't look away from this. This is what a war crime looks like. This is kidnapping, starvation, torture.
Speaker 2: And cruelty. And what cruelty it is.
Speaker 3: Eli only learned that his wife Leanne and their daughters Noya and Yahelle, just aged sixteen and thirteen, had been slaughtered when he arrived back in Israel sixteen months after they were killed. They were murdered in their home at Kidblutzbery on October seven. Eli had told the media that when he was first released that he was very happy to be coming home to his wife and daughters, unaware that they had been killed. This is unam adgable horror and tragedy. Yet all the United Nations wants to talk about is a two state solution, ethnic cleansing and Palestinian suffering. So we're literally seeing pictures reminiscent of the concentration camps and the UN doesn't have a thing to say about it. Not one thing all the international community wants to talk about is a ceasefire and rebuilding Gaza. Nothing from the UN or the Red Cross all the other fraudulent humanitarian groups about the state of innocent hostages. These are undeniable war crimes. Staring at them in the face. Alex Rifchin, who will be on the show a bit later, he says the reconstruction of the ruined buildings of Gaza is a secondary consideration. He says, the real issue is how do you reconstruct a society which freely allowed Hermas knowing their creed is violence, fanaticism and religious and racial supremacy. A society from which four thousand civilians freely took part in the murder plunder an abduction frenzy of October seven. A society from which thousands line the streets to abuse and mutilate captives and then kept some as slaves in their own homes. A society that cheers as three emaciated tortured Jewish Men, now resembling liberated concentration camp inmates are subjected to still more indignity and torment. A society that welcomes as prized assets convicted child killers, rapists, mass murderers that any other society would prefer to be rid of. That is the reconstruction the world needs to address. Alex Is one hundred percent right. The time is long overdue. When the world stops looking away and stares right into the eyes of eli Or and o'had, the international community and humanitarian groups need to confront the human atrocities that her Mus has inflicted on innocent civilians. This goes against their racial prejudice and their bias, but if they can't show.
Speaker 2: Empathy for humans or humans.
Speaker 3: Including Israelis, then they shouldn't be in their jobs and perhaps President Donald Trump should look at overhauling the United Nations because it's clearly a corrupt and broken organization. Now, I'm going to come back to that topic with Alex Ripchin after the break, but now let's return to the Victorian by elections over the weekend. It has been a shocking result for labor. This is panicking the Albaneze government as well. And I'm joan now by Sky News hosts Steve Price and Joe Hildebrand. Great to see it, as always it on Monday. Steve, you know seeds like Werribee, these are safe labor seats.
Speaker 2: This is traditional labor heartland.
Speaker 3: So what do you think this means at both the state and federal level.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's much more than just local issues. I think it really is a reflection on how the labor brand has been so trashed in Victoria by Daniel Andrews and now by Jacinda Allen that the people voting in these electorates don't see the big difference between state government and federal government. I mean, let's quickly talk about Werribee. I mean Weerribee has been held by the former Treasurer Tim Pallace for ten years, Tim Palace is the blok who was the treasurer in Victoria wrecked the economy. And that area around Weerribe used to be farm land. It's now carpet bombed, with houses built right next to one another in suburbs that have got no infrastructure. There's no parks, there's no trees. There's one lane roads in and out of that place. And so people sit in their cars, Sharry and Joe for up to an hour, hour and a half just to get out onto the freeway. And so they were never going to support labor. I mean, labor looks like it will sneak back in, but only on Green preferences. And when you talk about when you talk about the seat in Chapel Street, Pran, I mean Tony Lupton, the former Labor politician who held that seat until ten years ago. He stood as an independent and what did he do. He announced two weeks ago that he was going to put the Greens last on his how to vote card and he said that there has been a thirty percent swing against the Greens. And the reason why people turned on the Greens in that seat, and I know it well because I lived there, was because he kept talking about how they had been turned into a radical extremist party. He said seventy percent of the reactions that he got about the Greens were what they were saying about Palestine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he really campaigned on anti Semitism. Joe, and you've corrected me. I was saying piranh. You're saying I'm saying Bran love Pan.
Speaker 10: I'm saying everyone else says Paran. That's why. That's that's how you can distinguish between Melbourne and anyone from any of these out of.
Speaker 3: Town apologies for pronunciation's right. So, Joe, this area, you know again, Adam Bant his seat of Melbourne at a federal level covers the same ground. There's also a bit of coupjong in there as well. So you think that the Green are going to struggle federally and with their preferences flowing to labor, this is going to be worrying the Albanese government, no question.
Speaker 10: Well, Pran is just as one of those entirely sort of obnoxious greeny tearly seats where everyone is with Steve. Steve accepted, of course, which is very very affluent. It can afford to vote purely on values, and of course they had very nice, shiny progressive Green values when they swung to the Greens about ten years ago. And suddenly when the Green's true colors show on an issue as visceral as Israel and Palestine, and it turns out the Greens are actually a bunch of knuckle dragging extremists, and suddenly this seat, which again has a very high Jewish population, it would be near the sort of the hot land of sort of core field, which is in McNamara, where Josh Burns's seat is around, and of course other seats like Ku Yong as well. That suddenly these goes go, oh my god, our local member hates us, hates our people, wants to wipe our homeland from the map. So I am not surprised at all that Israel was a huge issue there and the former member who ran as an independent was a key factor in the Greens downfall, and good on him.
Speaker 13: Where Abe the.
Speaker 10: Betrayal is actually twofold because not only was Tim Palace the treasurer, but Tim Palace was the most senior member of the Victorian Right and it's always been the right of the Labor Party that has represented and represented well out of suburban working class, often very migrant heavy, multicultural, real sort of real, sort of you know, struggle street seats, you know, instead of again these inner city affluent seats that bang on and on about you know, whatever it is, climate change and gender and whatever. He defected from the right to the left so he could hold on to his job.
Speaker 13: Never I'm all about the worker.
Speaker 10: But he actually defected from the right to the left when Alan became premier, presumably to hold onto his job. Then decides he's just going to bugger off anyway, or maybe he got tapped, and now that seat is holding on for the fight of its life. So well done, the Victorian labor left.
Speaker 8: Not a big win.
Speaker 10: Good on you guys.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: The results were good on the weekend and very positive for hopefully the Greens being decimated in the upcoming federal election.
Speaker 2: Now this is a bit of fun.
Speaker 3: The City Morning Herald editor Bevin Shields picked a fight with UFC chief executive Dana White, writing in a scathing piece on the weekend which was subtly titlooed. Watching our premier chat to UFC bus and Dana White made me feel physically sick.
Speaker 2: Well, Dana White hit back.
Speaker 13: Have a look listen for a place that is so tough and the people, everything on land and the water can kill you. You have the biggest I've ever seen in the media in my life. I saw a story where a guy was like, I saw Dana do a podcast with the Premiere and it physically made me sick. Holy, you guys have to have the biggest of all time in the media here. I thought we had week week media. You guys win hands down.
Speaker 3: The UFC may not be genteel enough for The Herald's readers, but you know, Steve, millions of people around the world love the UFC. It's on in my house all the time. My husband loves it every Sunday at least. So you know, this also is an economic boost to the New South Wales economy. And why should one spot in particular be excluded.
Speaker 1: What just shows you how out of touch those nine newspapers are. I mean, this bloke, you know, he's banging on two weeks ago saying he was going to open an office in Paramatta for some two journalists. I think to go and say and stay out there and report on the greater Western Sydney Man. Seriously, I mean, Paramount is not even the center of Sydney anymore, it's even gone further west. And he's also had a cracket cricket this guy. Now, how someone so out of touch with what ordinary average Australians like to see for entertainment should not be running a daily newspaper. I mean it's a ridict.
Speaker 3: Well maybe he's in touch with the Herald readers, maybe he is Joe, but I thought it was funny about Peter fitz Simon's He also criticized the UFC, but he wrote, according to the Australians Media section today, he wrote a book on boxing.
Speaker 2: Boxing's no less.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's as bad as violent as the UFC.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Look, Bevanshell is a lovely bloke. He's very genteel, he's very urbane. I'm not surprised that the UFC isn't his thing, and I doubt it would be most Cinney Morning Herald readers thing either. But it's not really my cup of tea, to be honest. But I think whatever floats you, you know, if you enjoy it, if people are all doing it voluntarily, that's fantastic. You know, some of the best writers in the world not necessarily fits, but like Norman Mailer, you know, write about boxing is in this incredible high art form. I haven't been able to perceive that myself when I've seen you know, Appony Mundane swinging in there.
Speaker 8: But maybe it is there.
Speaker 10: But I think, you know, just I don't see why we have to impose, like surely, if we've learned anything in the twenty first century, it's just go and do what you want to do. You don't have the right to tell other people what the Canon can't say, Canon can't believe, Canon can't watch. Just let freedom rain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, it's no rules and a cage with no rules in a cage exactly. All right, I think we're out of time. Steve Price, Johudebrand, thank you very so much. All right, let's return now to these shocking results for alban Easy on the weekend and Trump's tariffs as well, and enjoining me now, Shadow Home Affairs Minister James Patterson, James, great.
Speaker 2: To see you, as always.
Speaker 3: Look, the Albanezy government was today scrambling after Donald Trump announced a twenty five percent tariff on all steel and aluminium. As you know, these are two of Australia's biggest exports to the US. The Prime Minister has now said that he's scheduled an emergency call with Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: James Patterson.
Speaker 3: Clearly, Australia needs an exemption here. We had one before when Trump imposed lesser tariffs during the Turnbull government. But do you have confidence that alban Easy, let alone Kevin RD can negotiate their way out of these tariffs.
Speaker 5: Well, you're right, Charry. This is a very big test for the Albanezy government and their ambassador in Washington, d C. The template has been set when these tariffs were applied in President Trump's first trim. Australia secured an exemption from it, and that's the bare minimum that Australian workers and industry should expect from this government. It'll be a test for the Prime minister whether he can do that. I'm not sure he's putting sufficient energy and effort behind this task. Other world leaders, whether it's the Japanese Prime minister, the UK Prime minister, the Canadian Prime minister, the French Prime minister, or many others, have been beating a pathway to Donald Trump's door, both before his inauguration and since his inauguration, to have meetings with him, to transact business with him, to do negotiations with him and to assert their national interest. Our Prime Minister has no plans to go to Washington, DC, no plans to meet with President Trump. And I'm starting to wonder whether that is deliberate political strategy on his behalf, because he's worried what the Greens would do with a photograph of him in the Oval Office shaking President Trump's hand. I think he's worried that would be letterbox to every household in an electric like Wills in Melbourne, which pedical El holds and is under a threat from the Greens. And I wonder where he's now putting politics ahead of the national interest. The national interest dictates for the Prime Minister form a rapport with President Trump. That cannot be done over the phone. It must be done in person, and that's the only way we're going to secure exemptions on issues like this.
Speaker 3: And I think the fact that we saw Scott Morrison attend Marri Lago already, you know, I played the video on this show of him chatting with Donald Trump an Milania. So clearly Trump would be open to a relationship, of course with Australia if they were supportive leaders. But he's not stupid he knows what Kevin Rudd said in the past, he knows what Alberanze said in the past.
Speaker 2: But James, I want to ask you this.
Speaker 3: Given Malcolm Turnpule was able to negotiate an exemption previously, do you think the Albanese government should be able to do the same now.
Speaker 5: Well, you wouldn't necessarily think that Malcolm Turnbull and President Trump were simpatico in personality types. You can imagine they would have different world views on many issues. But Malcolm Turnbull put the national interests first. He bet a pathway to President Trump's door. He very assertively stood up for Australia's interest and he persuaded President Trump on that and a range of other issues to do things in Australia's national interest, including on a refugee transfer arrangement as well. So the Albanezi government should be able to do at least as much as promise to Malcolm Turnbull was able to do, and at least as much as promise to Scott Morrison was.
Speaker 8: Able to do.
Speaker 3: Now, I want to ask you about the by elections on the weekend. I mean, the Allen government has only just held on to Werribee. This is meant to be a safe seat. Does this give you optimism for the Coalition at a federal level picking up seats in Victoria.
Speaker 5: We'll make not mistake Shari. On Saturday night when the returns were coming in, Labour MPs in the western northern suburbs of Melbourne were watching it with horror and shock because if even a fraction of those swings are replicated on election day, many of them will lose their seats, will beholding marginal seats after the next election. And it's no surprise Victorians are suffering under the weight of not just one but two bad, very bad labor governments. And it's not just our economy but our crime and community safety that are their suffering under. And so approaches A lot vote has been launched here and I think they should heed that message and act appropriately.
Speaker 3: Look, we saw some quite aggressive scenes in question Time in Canberra today where Mark Dreyfus in a very strong way accused the Coalition and Peter Dutton of politicizing the anti Semitism issue.
Speaker 2: Let's have a look.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, we'll bring you those comments a bit later in the show. He really attacked the Coalition and Peter Dutton for politicizing anti Semitism.
Speaker 2: But James, you know this isn't.
Speaker 3: Dutton politicizing this issue. The Jewish community for sixteen months has been begging the Prime Minister for action on this. We do have those climents now have a look.
Speaker 11: But those of it opposite have taken every opportunity since the seventh of October twenty twenty three to politicize the trauma and the experiences of the Jewish people.
Speaker 4: You're disgusting.
Speaker 11: There's nothing more serious than the opposition being accused of politicizing an issue.
Speaker 3: Like this, James Patterson, I want to get your response to this, to Dreyfus's attack.
Speaker 5: When I go to events in the Australian Jewish community, as I was on Sunday at a family friend's event, the message I hear from Jewish community is not that you are politicizing this issue. The message I hear overwhelming is thank you for standing up for us, thank you for speaking out for us. Please hold this government to account and please make sure you win the next election because we think any Semitism is going to get even worse if this government gets re elected again. Heard once remember of the Jewish community that they didn't want us to be taking up this fight on their behalf that they didn't want us to be loud, but they didn't want us to continue to drag the Albanesi government kicking and screaming into the tough decisions that are necessary to protect our community, as we did last week on mandatory minimum sentences. That's what Mark Dreyfus is upset about. He's got a long standing opposition to mandatory minim sentences. I understand that, but no one here is politicizing anti semitism. We're fighting to get our country back on track.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 3: I think the offensive is the suggestion is so offensive that this issue is being politicized. We need stronger protection from the federal government. This is the prime minister of the country who has overseen this shocking and dramatic and unprecedented rise of andy Semitism in this country. You know, every one of us needs to be begging and campaigning for stronger action. Every single Australian needs to do that, you know, because we can't accept what we're seeing here. James just fin, you've written to Tony Burke. You're urging him and to update the prohibited prohibited hate symbols legislation, yet another law that you are campaigning the government on that perhaps they will turn around after opposing and do a backflip and support So what exactly are you asking for here?
Speaker 5: So on the weekend in Melbourne, I had a very disturbing scene. Someone allegedly flew the flag of a terrorist organization, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine. Now there's no question this is a terrorist organization. Many of allies listed as a terrorist organization. We have sanctioned them for the purpose of financial sanctions, but they're not listed as a terrorist organization in Australia and that introduces uncertainty as whether it is a crime to publicly display their symbols and logos and fly their flags. And we have to make it very clear that it is a crime to display the flags of a terrorist organization like the Popular Front for Liberation of Palestine. So I've asked Tony Burke to commence a process to list them as a terrorist organization of Australia, which would also criminalize membership of them and criminalize associating with them, because we need to send a very strong message that whether it's Hamas or Hesbala or al Qaeda, or ISIS or the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine. Nobody should be publicly praising and glorifying terrorist organizations in our country.
Speaker 3: Indeed, all right, James Patterson, really grateful for your time, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Now still to come.
Speaker 3: Why Trump's ban on paper strolls is one of his best moves yet. Plus I have a big announcement that's coming up right after this quick break. Welcome back, all right, let's get to our big announcement tonight. Well, each night on this show for sixteen months, we've spoken about the shocking explosion in racism towards Jews here and around the world, and we've all been horrified and what we're witnessing on streets we always considered safe. We took this safety for granted, as we should be able to in a place like Australia. Yet with each passing week, the cruel antisemitism escalated, and all good hearted Australians can't believe what's happening. From the burning down of the a Dust synagogue in Melbourne, where prayer books were burnt to smithereens, to the fire bombing of a preschool in New South Wales where toddlers play. There's been vandalism, torching of cars, hatred on university campuses, both by students and lecturers. The inner city in Sydney and Melbourne are basically no go zones thanks to the aggressive and racist pro Palestinian protests with their chants against Zionists. Then, just last month, the discovery of a caravan packed with enough explosives to create a forty meter blast Waif Premier Chris Mins was visibly shaken as he told the public it could have been a mass casualty event. We started seeing anti semitism on a daily basis in October twenty twenty three, after terrorists attacked Jews. It felt like it was at crisis point back then. There's a depression that I can tell you has quite clearly set in the Jewish community as we witness as a society the worst and most dangerous anti semitism we've seen in half a century. Anti Semitism that I believe is legitimized by politicians who speak at.
Speaker 2: These rallies where anti Semitic signs and slogans are freely waived.
Speaker 3: That was the twenty third of October twenty twenty three before Israel even went into Gaza, before Israel responded at all. It was just two weeks after Hamas attacked innocent citizens. Somehow that barbarity was the green light for the world to start attacking Jews as well.
Speaker 2: Actively.
Speaker 3: The international community and progressive activists sided with her mus and the leaders of all of our institutions were too weak to nip this in the bud. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I feel sadness for everything we've lost as a country, as a society. We're becoming famous internationally for racism. It's getting coverage in all the American and international esteemed publications, and too often we wake up in the morning after another horrific incident overnight and it just feels like groundhog Day.
Speaker 2: We need something.
Speaker 3: To break the cycle, to false change, because none of us want this to be the face of Australia permanently. And so tonight I can announce that we're holding a Sky News Anti Semitism Summit. Opposition leader Peter Dutton, New South Wales Press Chris Mintz, former Prime Minister John Howard will headline the anti Semitism summit. Attorney General Mark Dreyfus will attend on behalf of the Albanese government Anti Semitism Special Envoy Jillian Siegel, Holocaust survivors, the Israeli Ambassador Emir Maimon, and a variety of other prominent figures whose names I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: In the coming days.
Speaker 3: From the justice system and from the police force will attend as well. We will have sessions on law enforcement, policing, judiciary, education, antisemitism at universities, and better education in our school system. I'm organizing this with the help of a hero of the Jewish community, Alex Ripchen. Alex was fighting against antisemitism for years before his own family became a target. The home he used to live in was vandalized by cowards and the car in front of it went up in flames. Alex quite rightly says that our nation is in a dark place right now and that this summit has the.
Speaker 2: Capacity to lead us out.
Speaker 3: Alex says this will be a non partisan and honest examination of where we as a society have failed and what needs to be done to restore Australia's standing as a peaceful, tolerant country. Sky News Chief Executive Paul Whittaker will open the summit. He says, anti Semitism is an insidious scourge on society and completely at odds with Australian values.
Speaker 2: It must be stamped out.
Speaker 3: He says, as history has shown words matter and we cannot let acts of prejudice and intolerance go unchallenged.
Speaker 2: So challenge it we will.
Speaker 3: And as Paul Whittaker says, we all have a responsibility to call out antisemitism and demand that our leaders do the same. This Guy News Antisemitism Summit will be held next Thursday, on February the twentieth, and it will be televised Life all right, and here now to discuss why this is so important. I'm thrilled to be joined by the Executive Council of Australian Juries CO chief Alex Rifchin. Alex, why do we need to hold this summit right now?
Speaker 8: I think you encapsulated it immaculately in that introduction, Sharry. We're in a position of national crisis. We're in a situation where school kids returned to school a week ago, and in Jewish households, the typical conversation was do our schools need more armed guards and security to keep our children safe? We're in a situation where the Jewish community wakes up each day and we're more stunned when there isn't another attack on the Jewish community than when there is one. We're in a situation where Jewish artists have been pushed out of their professions, being unable to do what they love. The situation on university campuses is intolerable. Jews is subjected to harassment, intimidation and abuse on the streets. We're in a horrific place right now, and we need to bring together those who have it in their power to understand and comprehend this problem and to actually deal with it. And that's why this forum, which I commend you share it for leading, and sky News for platforming and hosting this has the capacity to affect real change and lead to real outcomes, to improve the lives of the Jewish community, and revive our country and bring it back to what it once was, which is a proud, successful, democratic, multicultural society.
Speaker 3: So Alex, looking at how the day will work, or the summit will work. We will hear from prominent speakers, will have panels and sessions, and then at the end of the day you'll present a list of outcomes that will help address this crisis.
Speaker 8: I think it's critical that this isn't a mere talk fest and anything that you you're involved and I'm involved in. It's geared towards outcomes, and the outcomes that we're seeking here to materially improve the lives of this strange Jewish community and all the strains, and to rescue our society from the abyss that it's found itself in. And the way we can do that is by listening to the experts on education, on policing, on law and order, on justice, on campuses, and then reach specific conclusions about what needs to be done to alleviate this crisis. We're heading into a federal election and these are things which both the parties can take on and pledge going into that election.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is so important that we have this conversation, and as you say that, we do have tangible outcomes, because when you look at back, you look back at the past sixteen months and we can see how this is escalated. It started with the protests and then it has now progressed to serious criminal incidents. Alex I also earlier in the show read out a social media post that you wrote about the rebuilding of Gaza, but how the priority has to be stopping terrorism and actually dealing with that. We saw on the weekend three male hostages being released, emaciated, looked like they'd come out of a concentration camp.
Speaker 2: Why isn't this conversation.
Speaker 3: Happening in the international community about how to change there's very dangerous terrorist ideology in Gaza.
Speaker 8: On the one hand, people don't want to have a conversation because it's too difficult to grasp and comprehend how to actually rehabilitated an entire society, a society that has for sixteen years been under the thrall of a jihadest anti Semitic, fascistic terrorist organization that has murder and abduction and rape as a central creed. It's difficult to actually determine how you can rehabilitate and rebuild that society, far more than buildings and roads and so forth. So partly it's seen it's too difficult. But on the other hand, at the same time, people want to see Hamas's heroic. People lionize this organization as a legitimate resistance. They're so fixed to their view of the Israel as the ultimate evil that they're willing to pardon and look the other way at Hamas's crimes. They're willing to look at these hostages being released having suffered unimaginable torments, psychological and physical torture, and actually praise Humas for treating them humanity. But as you rightly point out, the last prisoners look like they returned from concentration camps. They return as the last survivors of their families, in certain cases, with their wives and children having been murdered before them. One of the hostages his brother was killed in captivity as well. We are dealing with a unique evil and far more complex, far more necessary and essential to peace in the region that working out how to rebuild houses is how to rebuild a society that, firstly democratically elected Hamas chose to be led by this organization. Where you had four thousand civilians willingly taking part in the October seven atrocities. You had civilians lining the streets to mutilate the corpses of Israelians taken hostage and taunt, including wholeclast survivors and children abducted by Humas on that day, Villians holding hostages in their very homes. These are the issues that need to be addressed, the rot in that society that has led to this situation we're.
Speaker 3: In now, and yet we hear nothing from the likes of the United Nations on this alex riftin such important points there, and again, thank you so much for your work on this very important issue of anti sement designer, Thank you all Right. Still to come Trump's ban on paper straws, plus just Enterprise's new memoir where she speaks about her darkest days. Now, this is one of the most incredible and inspiring Australian stories.
Speaker 2: I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Speak about whether she's on track to be a future prime minister with Cameron Milner and Andrew Carswell after this break. Okay, welcome back. Well, let's bring in our Monday Political panel Headline Advisory Director Andrew Carswell and former chief of staff to Bill Short and Cameron Milner.
Speaker 2: Welcome. Now.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about Justinerprice and this incredible interview she did in the Weekend Australian magazine. This is to promote her new memoir which will be out shortly. It's called Matters of the Heart. Now, she was very transparent in this cover story about her battle with drugs, alcohol and domestic violence. It is truly remarkable how by such a young age, the age of twenty two, she'd had three young children. She after that was struggling for a time with drugs and alcohol. She had a seriously severe domestic violence experience. And Andrew Caswell, she has come through all of this adversity to be one of the leading politicians of our time and she could be the first Indigenous Prime Minister of Australia. Andrew, what do you think?
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, Shari, you certainly can't rule that out. I think Jasina has done a tremendous job in her short parliamentary career so far, and more broadly her wonderful advocacy for her community and regional and remote Australia. I think what Gisina brings is a much needed dose of common sense to Australian politics and the political discourse, and particularly the common sense her common sense approach to closing the gap and addressing some of those inherent policy issues that are affecting regional and remote Australia. And she's to be commended for that. There are many people in this debate that are intensely focused on the past Jasina is resolutely focused on the future, and that is the difference. I think if Peter Dutton is successfully winning the next election in this role, this newly created role of Shadow Minister for Government Efficiency, you can guarantee that Josina will be very, very very busy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Cameron reading that Weekend Australian magazine cover story. In the interview, Jacina speaks about one of her aunties was forced into a car with five men and was never seen again. I mean, she's not just a politician standing there speaking about Indigenous disadvantage.
Speaker 2: She's lived it.
Speaker 3: I just think her story is so remarkable and so inspiring.
Speaker 6: It is, and what an amazing human beings to have come through what she came through and to have got to where she's got. I mean, that's what the joy of Australian parliamentary democracy is all about. Someone with that background and struggle to have got to where she's got to, and you say, as you say, the futures ahead of her. She's got a change house. Though she can't be sended to become Prime minister. So be like Barnaby Joyce had he had the movie to state and find another seat the National party, if they're serious about it, need to move her into state because I don't think Ling, Giario or Solomon are safe enough for a future prime minister. But look, she's an amazing woman, an incredible story and incredibly moving in terms of the story of the week in.
Speaker 3: Australia, it was and if you haven't read it, search it, have a look on the Australian website. It really is a remarkable read and of course I'm looking forward to reading just sent his book as well her memoir. Now let's turn to the results on the weekend. You both political experts, you analyze this very closely. Now, as well as the Victorian by election, we also saw the Redbridge poll and it showed that voters in out of suburban areas are abandoning Albanesi Andrew Amina twenty seven percent primary for Labor and out of suburban areas. That just shows that Albanese has abandoned regular mainstream Australian voters.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think Cos Samaras said it right from Redbridge when he said it's no longer the labor red wall. It is a barbee of fence. And look, I'd go further and say it's an open door. This is a massive opportunity for the Liberal Party, the federal Liberal Party, to make some significant gains in a state that has always been problematic for them. And you know, the Labor Party likes to look at the Liberal primary in Werribee as a result of them maybe not warming to Dunton, but that primarily is a result of a very underperforming opposition. Liberal opposition to Victoria nothing to do with the federal Liberal leadership. And to really squash that point is to point back to the Dunkley by election where Peter Dutton as leader got a primary there of thirty nine and a half percent. So they are coming for that red wall and they are coming fast.
Speaker 3: And Cameron Andrew just raised the state of Victoria, usually a very progressive state, the most progressive state in the country. So if we're seeing that sort of movement, that shift of sentiment in Victoria, I mean you'd think it would be a blood bath in New South Wales.
Speaker 6: Well, I think it's a blood bath in Victoria. I think there's a whole lot of very fat margins which are going to cut to the quick and potentially get cut to being Liberal Party seats. I think the other great result Charie was the Pran by election. I mean so good to see the anti Semitic Greens finally copying it. I mean so good to see Tony lupt Is an independent direct preference to the Liberal Party to make sure that the party of anti Semitism in Victoria got smashed. So that was a good result as well, I think in the by election in Paran. But to your wider point, Labour's in real trouble, real trouble in Victoria, not only because of Daniel Andrews and the Allen government, but because of Albanese and just taking for granted, taking for granted Victorian voters, especially in those out of suburbs, as the red Bridge Pole shows, and.
Speaker 3: We can see that Dutton's really focusing on Victoria. He had his unofficial campaign launch in Chisholm earlier this year. He's visiting the state a lot, really targeting it. Now, Andrew, what do you want to know what you make of this? I think it's quite an unusual move. The outgoing National ZMP Keith Pitt, He's been appointed by the Albanesi government as the next Vatican ambassador. Why do you think they would have given this post to a national MP.
Speaker 9: Well, this for me, Shari, was certainly a literal laugh out loud moment for me, and not because I was shocked at the announcement. It was more the fact that I wasn't shocked. I mean, you would hardly say that Keith Pitt is defining one of his defining character traits his loyalty. I mean, this is a bloke that's been an irritant for successive and multiple National Party leaders. He was an irritant I g guess for Scott Morrison and for Malcolm Turnbull. So taking a few lollies from the Labor Party, I'm not surprised by that. One thing I would say is that I think we do need to send a bit of a warning party to the Vatican ahead of his arrival. I'm not sure the Pope knows what's coming at him.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm not going to give it all the way now, but I know that there are other similar offers of appointments similar to this that are in the works.
Speaker 2: Karen.
Speaker 3: Why though, despite all of this politicking, wouldn't Labor just give it to a Labor mate?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it is an unusual move.
Speaker 6: Well, yes, no, I mean, and I think it's a bit cheerish. I mean, Keith Pitt's actually been quite a good local member for his area and actually held the seat despite some pretty big swings around. So I mean, Keith Pit's a good queenslanda so I wish him well in terms of the Vatican role going forward. But yeah, I mean, look, these are politicians gifts that get hand out to mates more and more often than not. Or buy offs is the other way to view it too, So yes, it'll be interesting. It'll be interesting to see what the trade is that Albo's got in play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very interesting. All right, Cameron Andrew, thank you both for your time. Now coming up after the break. Trump has signed more than fifty executive orders, but it's the next one which will have every parent of Toddler's cheering.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 3: In his first couple of weeks in office, Donald Trump has signed more than fifty executive orders, but this latest one had me laughing and cheering. Trump posted on truth Social on Friday saying that he'll be signing an executive order next week ending the ridiculous Biden push for paper straws which don't work back to plastic, and I have to say it just feels like the President can read my mind.
Speaker 2: This is true leadership. Now.
Speaker 3: Trump has waited a long time to implement this, he wrote in twenty twenty. Has anyone tried those paper straws. They're not working too good and they don't work too good, as any parent of a toddler knows, whenever you buy your kid a smoothie, you need to take multiple paper straws because they don't survive a toddler. And using five paper straws instead of one plastic straw surely is not good for the environment.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is the best.
Speaker 3: Example of Donald Trump doing something sensible that we'd all want. We all complain about paper straws, but he actually thinks to ban plastic once. It's such a welcome change of leadership. And on that note, thanks for your company this evening. I'll see you tomorrow at eight o'clock and for now your favorite hour of the day, my mate, Paul Murray,