Speaker 1: You are on the air with Jase and Lauren today tops of twenty four we are going for it is eighteen at the moment, and some shocking news came through.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, Yes, some very sad news out of the AFL with the passing of Troy Sellward. He was a great football player. More importantly, he was a twin brother to Adam, brother to Scott, and brother to Joel Selward, and the son of Marie and Bryce Solwood. The Sewards are a magnificent family. They're lovely, kind, beautiful people and our hearts are very much with them this morning. Our hearts with the Geelong community and Bendigo where he grew up and everyone affected by this, including his great mate Jonathan Brown, who joins us this morning. Morning. Brownie, Hey, guys.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me on the Betters circumstance. But yeah, very sad day, of course.
Speaker 2: It's a sad day for the AFL and it's a sad day for his family and friends. You guys were great mates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, we had many great times.
Speaker 4: Memory also to Collie last night.
Speaker 3: It tells you you get reflective day when close ones passed away, and you know he came to our wedding, and unfortunately the footy world when we all step right and we you know, we don't play with each other, we don't get to spend as much time as we lock together. But he's just such a wonderful, wonderful human. He had a beautiful soul about him, and including the wedding, I think he might have nearly got kicked out of our wedding along with it was a great bite because the boys are getting to be carried away on the dance floor. They thought they'd put a trial of Crown lagers on the dance floor to make a slipping slot, which the venue Yeah, the venue operator wasn't too keen on he can't kick some of me best mates out of my own wedding. But yeah, you know, he just he's just we loved life. He had a great small and it was a very empathetic bloke as well.
Speaker 4: So that's what I tell you.
Speaker 3: Much loved him, and well everyone in the footy cub loved him, and everyone involved that he met loved him so really tough.
Speaker 4: I knew he'd been going through some struggles unfortunately, but.
Speaker 3: It never quite prepares you for the shock of announcement like that.
Speaker 1: That's right, Brownie.
Speaker 5: The heart hurts this morning and our thoughts go out to the entire AFL community as well as a Cellward family. He was a guy who I get the impression from the outside looking in any way, he loved to help. He loved to mentor, especially young footballers. He played that role at Geelong. Was he like that at Brisbane?
Speaker 3: Absolutely did? He was well end up. He finished his career as the captain of the Geelong VFL team when he was really starting off his post footy career as an administrator down there. He started learning, yeah, cutting his teeth under Stephen Hocking and Neil Balm there, two of the great football administrators. And he was still playing there because they wanted to mentor of the younger Gelong players coming through. And he was able to win a premiership back in twenty eleven or twenty twelve, I think so. And you know, you don't just put anyone in those sorts of roles, do you, you know? And obviously he had great empathy. He was such a positive character around younger fellas and obviously had a real interesting developing younger men as it was. And he did that and he did a fantastic job helping Stephen Wells and that recruiting department down Geelong draft the next crop of premiership players that we saw in twenty twenty two for the Mighty Cats. And he was continuing on that good work at Geelong Grammar recently up until he's passing yesterday, so you know, so you know, those jobs don't get handed out lightly unless you've shown in the path that you're very good at that.
Speaker 1: He Brandie, You guys are good mates. How are you doing? You would have been not for six?
Speaker 3: I think it's sort of you go through the reflections of it, of guardee, yet you wish you might have been able to catch up a bit more Often these sorts of things. I suppose it's it's times like this, isn't it when you appreciate the ones classes to you.
Speaker 4: But you also.
Speaker 3: You can't take for granted the friendships and how people are actually going. So I suppose just to just to be able to always get on the front foot and stay connected with people and be able to reach out to mate if you know they are struggling and have a chat to them.
Speaker 1: So sometimes you also don't know what people are going for it Sometimes.
Speaker 3: You don't do it, you know, and that's a really that's a really difficult thing. So but you know, you sort of look at it, you look at the good times. Well, I remember when he first come to the footy Cup and yeah, the people asking you what his nickname is? You know, the four Cellard Boys, a famous family.
Speaker 4: I think you got Scoter. I'm not sure Joel's probably going the greatest of all time. I'm sure.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what Adam was West Coast, but yeah, Troy's was Bonner and uh and yeah, people ask me how to get Banner, and he goes, well, you know a great thing about footy cubs, they'll give you nicknames. Craig McCray one of the funniest characters I'll play with there, Collingwood, couch table, Troy Talwood. He needs he needs a nickname sal Wood. Where do you where do you sell Wood? Bunnings. So that's how we got Bunner.
Speaker 4: The rest.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what he was. It as hard as a piece of for me two as well. That's the way he played. And I think Michael Voss spoke about the herold Son this morning, about his courage and his ability to put his body on the line over and over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's it is times like this where you reflect on great stories about your great friend JB. We're very sorry for your loss and we appreciate you joining us this morning.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me on and sharing our memories. Thanks.
Speaker 5: And look, I think Brownie just touched on it like that vulnerability and with blokes, tough blokes. Football's right that there is nothing wrong with being vulnerable. Please reach out to your mate.
Speaker 1: When that brought you say, it was just like I said, you don't know what you're made are going through.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a lot of friends deeply affected by the passing of Troy Seward and my thoughts and I know that the whole team that we're thinking of you this morning. Joel Seward's friend of the show, his brother Adam and Scott, and his beautiful parents Marie Bryce, who are just wonderful people. They are a magnificent family. The Bendigo community, the Geelong community, we are thinking of you and you're very much in our hearts and our thoughts this morning.
Speaker 1: Also, remember Lifeline is an amazing service and it's always thirteen eleven fourteen