Speaker 1: I get a team. It's a new project.
Speaker 2: It's Stiffy and Cook, Patrick, James Bonello, craig Ethny Harper.
Speaker 1: Once a week we get together and we do this. We're still not sure why.
Speaker 2: We seem to be a ruddless conversational ship, but nonetheless, we just gather and we do it.
Speaker 1: Hi, Patrick, We'll start with you.
Speaker 3: I don't want to come out punching, but you actually had two errors in the previous statement.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fine, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well we don't meet weekly. It's fortnightly, which I love, and I look forward the highlight of my foot.
Speaker 2: Okay, noted, thank you for the correction.
Speaker 4: And you stumbled on the name and how long will we know that to each other?
Speaker 3: What is your name?
Speaker 2: I was I actually had a momentary lapse about your middle name, and that was because I was completely inappropriately and unprofessionally looking at something on my phone. I would yell at you two for doing that. So I'm going to yell at my I'm going to yell at myself. I was just I know there's no exs.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm bad. Look I accept both bits of feedback. You are correct, I am wrong.
Speaker 1: There we go. That's how you do it. Everyone.
Speaker 2: If somebody points out a mistake that you made or a fault, just go fuck. Thanks for that, Patrick noted taken on board, you can't won't do it again.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 3: I feel like we're in the moment now and I feel a lot better and more recognized.
Speaker 1: I feel seen, especially when you swear at me. TIF How are you? How are your all?
Speaker 5: I'm fabulous, some fabulous things apps.
Speaker 2: I just had a coffee with Scottie Douglas, who is a big fan of you and also a big fan of Patrick. You wouldn't know who he is made he's been on the show a couple of times, loves you, and he's like, I never used to listen to the Patrick episodes because I didn't listen to any, he said, because I don't really give a fuck about tech, right, And then he listened to one and he loved it, and he goes, oh god, now I've got to go back through them all because I love Patrick.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: Also, scott eat on your best friend. Thank you. You've just made my day. After Craig abuses me at the start of the show, right, well, you know.
Speaker 2: That if I abuse you, especially if I call you the sea word that you're in.
Speaker 1: My top five, because I don't do that for anyone. You're welcome.
Speaker 2: But you know what is funny is this show has got almost I mean it's loosely about tech, but people don't listen to it for that. I think the majority of people don't listen to it for that reason. So let's not get too distracted with technology, shall we?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Good idea, mate, that's great.
Speaker 2: Before we do talk to Patrick in any detail. Tiffany and Cook, what is new with you? What is going on? You've got your big speaking event coming up in the Sunshine State. You've been prepping like a fucking champion. You've got a bit of nerves, You've got a bit of anxiety.
Speaker 1: Have you picked out your frock? What are you wearing?
Speaker 2: I'm sure you're wearing a good sensible frock as Mary would say it in a track.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure is shit not wearing a frock I've got?
Speaker 2: Are you wearing overalls with like a spanner in your pocket and a bit of grease on your chin?
Speaker 3: Is a spatter in your pocket?
Speaker 4: Tip?
Speaker 2: I'm just happy to do my presentation.
Speaker 5: There, we know frock there? I love it. Because all the girls are getting here and makeup. I'm not fuck that, Yeah, not at all, But I'm excited with Yeah, plenty of nerves plenty because it is out of my comfort zone the way that the whole things do it. But it's coming together. I've pulled my head in, I've taken a bit of my own medicine and leaned into the discomfort and doing it someone else's way. And I'm just having a crack.
Speaker 3: Did you take Blake's advice when you say you're not wearing a frock that you're going to do it naked? You know how most people get up on stage and they imagine the crowd's naked doing the reverse.
Speaker 5: Definitely don't do that.
Speaker 3: Just checking. I thought maybe distraction might be a good strategy for sure. Not. I want to know what you're gonna wear it? What are you gonna wear it? Because you look pretty amazing and it doesn't matter what you wear, you look great. But what do you think you wear?
Speaker 5: Probably probably that ten dollars sparkly top I wore once before, and my Freddy jeans.
Speaker 3: So remember when we were led together. You're gonna wear the same outfit or you.
Speaker 5: Got well that was what they call it an orange jail jumpsuit that wasn't mine, So no, I won't be wearing that.
Speaker 4: But so jeans and a sparkly top. Can you send me a photo later?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, well pretty much sounds like you, Patrick.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean you could you two could just bloody into change wardrobes.
Speaker 1: Can we just clear up?
Speaker 2: So, like you've got to go do You've been doing part of this speaker's program and some of the some of the people who did the course correct me if I fuck any of this up, but got picked to speak at an event and you're one of those people. Congratulations. But the challenge for you is that you, who like me, is very freestyle, which kind of means lazy and unplanned. You've had to you've had to script it and you've had to It's it's like, really in a way, it's a performance, Like I mean, it's still you and there's still your words. But am I right in that, it's like it's got to be very scripted and very pre planned?
Speaker 5: Yeah, very yeah, So it's very tightly planned.
Speaker 2: And yeah, how is that for you?
Speaker 1: Because that ain't you.
Speaker 5: I know, it's been it's been a hell of it. I've been very loud about it. I've been not the best student, I can tell you that much.
Speaker 2: But have you been quite oppositional?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, plenty of that. And in the final hour, I thought, well, what is all this stuff you teach? Oh that's right, shout the fuck up and do it.
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 5: So is there?
Speaker 3: What is there?
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying it's good or bad, It's I'm not being critical. I'm being curious, like, what is the what is her? Like your teacher person, we won't mention what it is or who it is, but shout out to her. Tip does say good things behind your back? What like what's her philosophy? Then that it should be as well choreographed, prepared and scripted as possible so you can't fuck it up or no.
Speaker 5: Well, and when they say scripted, the end result is you're not going word for word script You just know your content so tightly that you know where you're going and you know the important perhaps to script.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 5: I am open to believing that the potential of it being a much better way to put it together might unfold. I don't know if following this procedure exactly the way I have is the best way for me, But I think it'll iron out, and yeah, I think maybe the end result is that it will be more powerful because I will I will know exactly what I want to be taken away and I won't leave anything out, and it'll be a bit more Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the good thing about public speaking, professional whatever is that there is no single way to do it. Like I remember doing a gig with Stephen Bradbury, I think three times, you know, the accidental gold medalists. Not that he didn't deserve it, He fucking deserved it, but I think every time it was pretty much verbatim word for word, and it had you know, like video bits in it and had like stories and every and it was very formulaic, but every time it crushed right, every time it did great. And so here's me, mister non formula mister freestyle Lucy Goosey. And part of me was thinking, why the fuck isn't that boring?
Speaker 1: Just and then but.
Speaker 2: Part of me is like, hey, shut up, dickhead. He's getting paid shitloads and he's crushing three times in a row, so this is actually working for him very well. That probably wouldn't work for me. But then what I do wouldn't work for him. So I think this is the beauty of you know, like whether or not it's podcasting, or whether or not it's you know, like building any other kind of business or doing any other kind of performedive thing.
Speaker 1: It's not like.
Speaker 2: There's a set way, but maybe what will happen is you'll do this kind of this model, and then you might end up in your own space moving forward, somewhere between your loosey goosey style and this way more prepared style. You might find a fit in the middle.
Speaker 5: And I also love that all the work that goes into this has given me something. Let's call it a signature keynote, so I can have that if people want it, or I can or I can have whatever version I throw together to suit others events.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: I think you would have been a very good or you would be if you wanted to be. You'd be a very good presenter because you've got a great voice and you're a great communicator. Have you ever thought about doing stuff like that and what would you talk about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a really interesting one. I think I would love to do that because I actually loved talking and communicating and that's been my whole career, and I think it's something that I've just always thrived on and I have thought about it a little bit, you know, I've kind of moved in different spaces. I did a few lectures when I was a journalist at Federation University, talking to, you know, young journalists or people studying to be journalists about what it was actually like to work in a breakfast newsroom and a lot of fun. It was just a thing that I did once a year to the journalism students. I don't know, it's a tough call. I think there's lots of things that I can talk about. It's funny I went to and this kind of has a close connection. But I thought of that two of you when I went to my very first improv night and the local council here through our neighborhood center, ran a four week course with a professional guy who's moved to the land who does improv. And I knew a lot of people who were doing the course, and so it was fun to go along and see them do this improv and I'd never experienced it before, and I thought, improv, that'd be so easy.
Speaker 4: We do that every fortnight? How hard?
Speaker 3: But they got the audience to throw out a reference word and they had to improv around that. And listening to what Tiff was saying, I reckon I would struggle to follow a script. You know, A good thing about what you've done is kind of pushing you out of your comfort zone, and then it probably is going to help with structuring things a little bit more like running to a not so much a script, but a structure. And I think that's where you're probably going to take a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and it's going to make you an overall better speaker. But I would love to talk to people about I mean, I don't often talk about this very very much, and I've had a challenging childhood. It's it's something that you know in some areas it was kind of challenging. I had a bit of childhood trauma and bullying when I was a kid, and I've often thought if that could help someone to know about adversity and coming from adversity. In fact, Tiff and I were talking about partnering up and maybe doing something together and running a workshop to talk about resilience and that sort of thing, and I think that's kind of fueled my love of tai chi and breaking away from those things that can really hinder us in our daily lives. So I think that would be the topic that I'd like to most focus on, something that I feel would really bring value to people's lives. For me, that's a big thing.
Speaker 2: You should maybe put some thought and work into that and see what comes out the other side. I think you would be it'd be good at that, and people like you and yeah, you're authentic, and it's I think that might resonate.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about tech.
Speaker 4: Shall we just give a shot at Scotty when you mate?
Speaker 2: Okay, it doesn't seem like this is the time to do that, but.
Speaker 1: Sure, go on.
Speaker 3: You know, wasn't that your friend that you had breakfast with this morning? Was that Scotty?
Speaker 1: Oh? I had no idea. Yeah, sure you can, yeah it.
Speaker 4: I just thought it'd be nice to say hi. Listening to me.
Speaker 1: On the Patrick's not desperate at all. Will send you his will send you his number later. Patrick.
Speaker 2: It appears to me I heard this last night on the news and it's on the top of your to chat about list. Open ai is allowing mature content now, am I interpreting that? As pawn non chat GPT for adult verified users starting in December.
Speaker 1: What does that actually mean?
Speaker 3: Well, Sam Altman, the bloke who you know, the big AI, Meger, giant, enormous company, what he's saying is it means that you could potentially interact with your AI chatbot in a more adult like way and not be hindered by that conversation. So I don't think it's about producing porn. I think it's having.
Speaker 1: Dirty, dirty conversations with AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe, I don't know. He hasn't really specified. Basically, what he's saying is they want to roll out, you know, you know, make that age restriction thing and treat adults like adult users. And if adult users want to have a more saucy conversation with AI, should we stand in the way of that? Don't laugh, It's just.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, there's so many hilarious things that are fucking bolting through my mind at the moment. What's the first thing, even even for me somewhat inappropriate, what's the first Well, let's see what happens with that.
Speaker 1: Would you use it? Patrick?
Speaker 3: No? Probably not, Tiff.
Speaker 2: Nah, All right, Well we'll see what happens with that. Patrick, Stay tuned. Everybody. Patrick might be getting a new boyfriend. It sounds like his name is open. What you asked us if we I know?
Speaker 3: Would you no? I just want to dark question, I think, And.
Speaker 2: I'm not just saying that I know that would give me the opposite of the effect that some people would want know what I'm saying like that would No, My brain and my body does not work like that at all. Google Search are introducing AI mode in Australia. What does that even mean Google Search?
Speaker 3: Well, it means that you can do more complicated searches with a much broader text string, and you can do it via input with text, images or voice. So I might say, Tiffing, and I want to do a chocolate tour of Melbourne in the CBD that takes three hours, and we want to do it on a Saturday, starting at five o'clock. So what we do is it?
Speaker 1: You've thought about that prompt, haven't you. You've definitely thought about that.
Speaker 5: To bed earlier. Patrick. If that's a real thing.
Speaker 3: Sure I'm into it. So you can do more complicated, complicated text strings of information and it will be able to do that, so it will not just answer one question. Then you're going to do another query, then answer another question to another query. So it will make the conversation a lot more human like in terms of the way that we communicate, and it will make those searches a lot better. You know, you might say, I want to go on holiday. I'm thinking of flying to Queensland. What's the best time of the year to do that. I don't want the weather to be hotter than thirty degrees And those sorts of con stations will allow the integrated AI to do a more comprehensive search, drawing on lots and lots of different resources, rather than just going to one resource website. It would then be able to look at a whole lot of things before it responded.
Speaker 1: So it's I mean, kind of just another AI, really.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, it is, but it's an ALI in a specific sense because it's drawing on real time information. So the large language models we think about a resourced So if you're getting a picture of an elephant being drawn for you that's wearing a top hat and riding a unicycle, well, then it's going to reference stuff that it's learnt previously, whereas this is using real time information because it might need flight data, it might be looking at current weather, that sort of stuff, so it is more real time than what the conventional AI models are although check GPT and hours incorporating real time information, so it is a lot better.
Speaker 1: Well, the next one doesn't seem like a good idea.
Speaker 2: Creators, Are you using AI to prank loved ones with fake homeless intruders?
Speaker 3: I saw this and it was so disturbing to see it. There's so many stupid searches and stupid things was being used for. And what it was was this girl or young woman pranked her father by taking photos in her house. So initially she has this bearded homeless guy standing at the front door and she takes a photo.
Speaker 1: So she takes a.
Speaker 3: Photo and the AI superimposes this what appears to be a homeless man standing at the front door. She texts her father and says, oh, one of your friends just rocked up of led him in. And then she shows a picture of her kitchen and there's the same bloke having a coffee, then blokes sitting on the couch, and so she's making up this whole scenario and sending it to her father, and of course he's freaking out. He's saying, I don't know who this is, you know, what does you want? Why did you let him inside the house? And of course this I mean, the problem with a lot of this stuff is that it has it been sensationalized and is it all set up or is it actually a real thing. I mean, the technology certainly is there. You can superimpose someone into a shot now and in fact I didn't put it into our articles, but I find it really disturbing where you can now in real time use AI. I think Google's rolling it out on some of the pixel phones and Android phones, where you can change the vision or the scene that you're looking at and incorporate things that are not even there into the photo you're about to take. That freaks me out as well, someone who loves capturing the moment in real time. You know, if I'm walking or hiking and I see a spider web that's got dew on it and the sunlight's hitting it in the right way, I'll take a photo or a beautiful sunrise or sunset and those moments are fleeting. You know, the cloud and the sky that you look at now you'll never see again in that shape, in that design. You know, those moments are beautifully capture if you hip at the right time, but suddenly if you're using AI, and in this case, it's a really terrible way to prank someone. So it's just a really weird TikTok trend at the moment, and it does my head in sometimes I overthink it. What's your thoughts cray going.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I just think that we need to be careful like with all of this that people are. You know, there's so much now that even comes across my social media feed where it's the AI is so good as in it it looks so.
Speaker 1: Real that.
Speaker 2: You spend half your life going, oh, is that actually a dog doing this? Or is this somebody who created an AI that looks like a dog doing that or whatever the thing is, And I think that's I don't know how that's going to unfold moving forward.
Speaker 1: But also, you know, I mean, what that girl was.
Speaker 2: Doing with her dad and the in inverted commas homeless guy just to me seems like a silly idea to start with. But when you think of more kind of you know, subversive kind of unethical applications of this, you know, people are like moving forward just trying to figure out who do I trust and what do I trust online? Because I think that's one of the biggest issues. Now you don't know what is real, you don't know what is bullshit, you don't know what's fake, and it's like a real and it's it's difficult, I think. Also, you know, like I'm sixty as fuck, I don't know. Maybe the twelve year olds do, maybe Tiff does, maybe you do, but like a huge percentage of people that aren't particularly tech savvy, you know, then at the far end of the spectrum, my mum and dad who get phone calls from people who want them to do this and touch you know whatever. Yeah, So it's it's a slippery slope and I hope it gets easier, not harder.
Speaker 3: One of the big concerns, and this is happening right now, is using AI where state operators. So we're talking about you know, government backed hackers and people using AI to try to influence elections. We've seen it happen in the United States, We've seen it happen overseas, and even misrepresentations of what's going on in Ukraine. And you know the problem is it's getting so accurate. As you pointed out, it's hard to tell what's real and what isn't real. And that's where it's almost like, gosh, I wish there was some sort of AI filter to disallow that. I think we've descended into a rabbit hole that's exceptionally frightening if it's getting used in that way. It's one thing to prank your dad and with a homeless bloke sitting on your couch, it's another thing entirely to try to swing public opinion or cause hate because of something that's being politically manipulated to try to you know, misrepresent the opposition or misrepresent the sitting government. Those sorts of insurgencies can be exceptionally frightening, and you know, it's really worrying because it's these tools are now so freely available. That's the other thing, you know, Sam Altman's talking about. Great Now you can talk sex stuff with your AI chatbot and that's going to work for some people but not for everybody. But where does that take us? With these tools getting better and better and better, You know, the genie is well and truly out of the bottle.
Speaker 2: And you think about you think, like part of me is like part of me is like okay, so somebody who's living on their own, who doesn't have a partner, who doesn't have intimacy, who doesn't feel that emotional connection, who doesn't feel loved or seen or valued, and then they have this resource where maybe they can get some of that or feel like they get some of that. So I have compassion and empathy there. So from that perspective, the mind guy, I get it. The emotion guy, I get it, or the human behavior, I get that, And I think maybe that even serves a positive purpose for some. But then on the other side, like Devil's advocate, I go, okay, So now you know, people are building potentially these more and more intimate relationships with this thing that's not real. It's not a human, it doesn't actually have any emotions, it doesn't actually care about you. It's a program. It's a program that's pushing your buttons to make you feel a certain way. And then what happens if somehow or for some reason that technology disappears. You know, now we've got people addicted to technologies and addicted to these technological biological interface relationships.
Speaker 1: Do you like that term? Patrick?
Speaker 2: And I just see probably more problems and solutions. But I'm just an old trying to fucking figure it out in real time.
Speaker 3: Okay, if we went back in time six hundred years and I took you to Sparta, right, and I of.
Speaker 2: Course you picked Sparta. Yeah, the fucking I know why you picked Sparta. Just a whole lot of men in not many clothes. Yeah, but go on, we could have picked any other time in history.
Speaker 3: No, No, I have a specific reason.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was six hundred. I think it was like two thousand whatever. You know, don't it wasn't the fifteen hundreds.
Speaker 3: Bro Thatt's come on, a good story, all right, come on, let's hear it.
Speaker 4: I think of the movie six hundred. That's where that got into my head. Three hundred whatever, It was just twice as many things.
Speaker 2: What do you mean whatever, If you're going to say something fucking makes sense.
Speaker 3: I watched it twice, so that made it six hundred, didn't. Sorry anyway, you.
Speaker 2: Know it's not just us two listening. You know, you've got to try and make sense to the audience.
Speaker 3: Scotty Scotty Wait, Mindy Scotty jumped off five minutes ago. Wellard, I know he's worried that I haunted him in social media now, so no, no, what I'm getting at is right. We take you back in time to Sparta, right, and like he did at the start of the show, you rip off his shirt and show you ripped abs. And he did so he did. He lifted his shirt and showed off his apps, which were very impressive a month so.
Speaker 1: But I did not rip off my shirt.
Speaker 3: Well it wasn't quite ripping off his shirt, but did you expose yourself?
Speaker 4: Come on, didn't you?
Speaker 1: Fucking Now this is getting worse.
Speaker 5: I'm staying out of it.
Speaker 3: Thanks Tip, anyway, can I please finish? My god?
Speaker 1: Could you get interesting?
Speaker 2: Because I'm nodding off with everyone else.
Speaker 3: It's a good idea everyone.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry about today. We'll do better next time.
Speaker 2: Patrick's not back in a week as previously advertised, but it'll be back in two weeks.
Speaker 3: Thank god. Everyone is so anyway, which is what this whole concept that sounded good in my head when I first started. Now ten minutes later it's not as good, but I'm going to say it anyway.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, come on, we take you back to Sparta.
Speaker 3: You rip off your top and then mister Spartan bloke rips off his top or probably hasn't got a top on the start with. And he looks at you and he says, how many people have you killed to be that physical man that you are? And you say, man, I use a smith machine and dumbbells. That's not authentic at all. It's like, well, who's the real man here, who's the real warrior?
Speaker 4: And I'm saying, so, I know it's a.
Speaker 3: Really bad at allergy.
Speaker 2: Hell, this is the worst analogy of all time. Do you want to rethink this? Because everybody's just gone to get a cup of tea and fucking wow, what is Can I just say you no elephants stamp today like nothing.
Speaker 3: The poor woman who I recently read an article about, who had very severe face disfigurement, had formed a relationship with an AI chatbot and to her it was real, So unlike the spartan man who had been out there and met the real person Craig who's been in a gym and using fake equipment to get that body.
Speaker 4: So what I'm saying is it's all the matter.
Speaker 2: You're saying the only way to get in shape is kill people, and that's better than a smith machine and dumbbells. Okay, wow, shout out to the sociopaths and psychopaths. Patrick's starting a new program, how to Kill for lean mass.
Speaker 3: I think you're bringing into it that a little bit too deeply now. But what I'm saying is using an AI and forming an AO relationship for some people may be a real comfort that they make. Because when you first started that story about the poor lonely person who lives alone, I'm thinking, what the fuck you're talking about? All of us? We all live alone, for crying out loud, exactly.
Speaker 2: But I also said it could be good, it could be a positive.
Speaker 1: I'm saying that.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that there can be an upside, especially for people who really feel disconnected and so on. But the author I'm also saying, but it ain't all necessarily good.
Speaker 1: I think you've got to look at.
Speaker 2: I mean, rather than taking a side, I think you want to try and look objectively about pros and cons for everything. Otherwise you're just sitting on one side of the fence and you're not open. Do I think it could be good?
Speaker 1: Yes? Do I think it could be problematic? Yes?
Speaker 2: I think it depends on context, person, and situation. But you know, there are so many variables around and I'm not trying to be too serious, but it's like, are drugs bad? Well, it depends what drugs, what you're taking, how much, how often. But for a lot of people, drugs will save their life. It's not black and white with these things. It depends on the application and the situation. And so for a lot of people, technology is just a tool they use to make money and do good shit. For other people it's an addiction that's fucking up their life and they can't leave their bedroom because they're.
Speaker 1: Playing games eight in hours a day.
Speaker 2: So I just think it's not that arbitrary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now I agree, but I think that there's a lot of hope there for people to be able to try to use technology to fill avoid they might have in their lives and if that can done in a supportive way. But I think the problem is oversight, like anything. You know, we were talking about Google using its more advanced chat feature. You know, in your doing Google searching now, a lot of use websites are reeling at the moment because when you do a search in Google now you get an AI overview of the information. So for example, if I said find out about the typ podcast rather than sending you to the TYP website. It would give you a bit of an overview. So TYP podcast hosted by Craig Harper, you know, supported by tif Cook and occasional guest Patrick Barnello. Done okay, so gives you an overview. It's like I don't need to know anything else. That's the TYP podcast. Now, news sites have lost as much as sixty percent of their traffic since this has been introduced. The problem being is that Google is taking the information from those sites without their permission, but not sending the traffic to the sites. They're basically saying, this is the story, this is the information. I'm going to give you it in a very summarized form, and then people are not needing to go to the sites. So these news websites are saying, well, you're using our sites to serve up that information. But because they haven't got the traffic, then their ad revenue is going to drop because people aren't going there. And if they've lost sixty percent of their traffic, they've also lost sixty percent of their revenue as well. And that's where this there's disconnect in terms of what's being searched and what's being delivered.
Speaker 2: So if that website's public domain though, right, and anyone can go on there and look at it, and then Google goes and looks at it and then tells you what's on there. So yeah, I understand what you're saying, but I mean, this is just that the rate of evolution and development and change in their space is somebody is going to be disadvantaged somewhere, and somebody is going to be advantaged, you know, like there's going to be pros and cons for everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know where that starts and stops. And how how the fuck do we regulate.
Speaker 3: This stuff, mate?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like because it's such a slippery slope. Anyway, tell me about Tesla owners that want to sue Tesla, Like there's a joint class action over.
Speaker 1: Full self driving? What is that about?
Speaker 3: Yep? So, Tesla has this FSD package that people who have bought recent test the model cars, and it's basically FSD is full self driving. And we talked about it a little bit in the last podcast about how you can use this feature. And but you still need to be sitting at the car, You still need to be sitting in the front seat, you still need to be hands ready to grab the steering wheel so that if anything was to happen, and it does make mistakes, but the problem is that a lot of people were sold on this idea and we're going back a few years ago when these new model cars were coming out where they were promised the ability to have full self driving and it hasn't been realized. So the issue is that there's a lot of pressure where people are saying, well, we paid for this advanced driver assistant feature, you know, this autopilot, the full self driving, and it hasn't come through, particularly in Australia. So in Australia there's this class action where people are saying, well, we've paid for something we didn't get, and that's the problem. You know, if you were old on this idea with a feature that you were promised that just hasn't been that and Elon Musk was kind of saying, well, we can roll it back using software, but now they've admitted that there are some cars, some of the early Tesla models just don't have that capability at all. So if you've paid for something you think you've you know you've got to get and you haven't got it, well, I think there's really good grounds to be able to say, well, I'm sorry, I want a refunder a partial refund, or you know, I get that the people are pretty peeved off about it.
Speaker 2: I reckon it's a little bit redundant the idea in Australia in that like even if if the three of us had full self driving cars, cars which have the capacity where you can essentially theoretically sit in the passenger seat program in the car and it gets you where you want to go. Because I can't see the Australian government giving this a green light anytime in the next decade, can you.
Speaker 3: I think maybe in the next decade, but at least a decade. It's getting close. I mean it's getting really, really really close. There's some really great technology and when you think of it, I mean people tend to highlight the accidents and the little.
Speaker 4: Things that go wrong, but if you think of it in terms.
Speaker 3: Of a whole lot of self driving cars on the road, their reaction time is always going to be a lot better than human reaction time.
Speaker 1: On one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: It's not often we agree, but you say you had a thousand self driving cars and a thousand Craig driving cars over an extended period of time, right, And I'm a pretty good driver. I think I've never actually had an accident. But like a bunch of humans in control or AI in control, I think statistically there's way less accidents. That doesn't mean there can't be accidents, but I think statistically and find the humans have more error than the computers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also because we're subject to getting tired. You know, I don't like to drive late at night purely because my circadian rhythm is that I'm an early morning person and I get tired at night. So I know that I am a less effective driver at night than I would be at five point thirty in the morning, when I feel like I'm my most invigorated and wide awake. And that's impact people. You know, emotional issues. If you've just had an argument with someone and you're feeling angry, well that's going to be reflected in what you're doing behind the wheel. How much agro do you see on the roads? I mean that's another thing as well. You know, at this stage, I haven't seen a self driving car experienced road rage.
Speaker 2: Well, if you ever see tear for and road raging, just give her a cookie.
Speaker 1: It'll all be good.
Speaker 2: In about thirty seconds, Patrick tell us about how drones are being used to combat retail hail theft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, isn't this interesting? So surveillance drones and this is a big problem. So it hasn't been rolled out quite yet, but the idea is that a lot of retailers are struggling with an ever increasing amount of theft. And I read a really interesting article a few days ago that theft actually is generational, and some younger people feel it's okay to steal. That they they don't have any sort of guilt because they feel that a retailer that has lots of money, if you flog something, it doesn't really matter. And whereas Baby Boom does fucking terrible parenting. Seriously, if you think stealing's cool, your parents are shit.
Speaker 2: Well that's that's what came out a lot of young I don't know. I shouldn't so I'll probably get in trouble. But I'm like, oh my god, what child thinks stealing's fine? Feels generational? There's a look.
Speaker 3: I can't quite it say. I don't know that's what the article said. I'm not saying yay or a but in this instance, right, So what do you think of it. I mean, I guess if you are able to have these drones that could follow a car or follow a person once they stole from a retailer and track them down, notify police and say, yeah, we're tracking this person because they're suspected of theft. Because of course it's suspected of theft until proven. I don't know, what do you reckon about, Tiff, What are you reckon aut a drone? You walk out of a department store, You just walked out of Meyer and suddenly there's a buzzing above you because you look a bit sus probably fair.
Speaker 5: Col Yeah, cool, you're on surveillance when you're in there. If you've done something wrong, so be it.
Speaker 1: Are you going to have You have a stolen anything? Patrick?
Speaker 3: Have I ever stolen it? No? I haven't stolen anything, but I did I did knowingly someone I knew that an item was placed at a lower price than what it was. So there was a toy truck and I might have been twelve or thirteen, and all of our forty six, all the other trucks were I will say it was five bucks, but this one had like two dollars on it or something, and I knowingly took it to the register and bought it knowing that the price was wrong. Is that stealing? And I didn't change the ticket. It wasn't me. I didn't take the sticker off and put a cheap sticker on it.
Speaker 2: It's technically not, I guess, but it's but that's like, well, can I tell you I almost stole you still?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I used to have a friend who used to pinch stuff when I was a kid, and I'm like, I didn't get it, and he's like, just take We went, I don't know where we were, and I was going to steal a packet of juicy fruit, right this is my big debut into fucking theft and crime. And he's like, just put it in your pocket, like da data, And I'm like, I really didn't want to, but I wanted him to like me because I thought he was cool. I don't know what the fuck. So anyway, I get this packet of juicy fruit. I put it in my pocket. This is my big into the world of criminality. And I get like two meters from the and I can't. I just walk back and I'm like, nah, I can't, and I just put it back on the thing, and I felt fucking terrible for like two days, even at the thought that I was going to steal something and I put it in my pocket. Even though I took I was like ten, right, so or eleven. Mary Harper will have a fucking she'll be praying for me all day today.
Speaker 1: If she hears this. But yeah, so that was my Yeah, I can't do it.
Speaker 4: I just gilt, make Catholic guilt that upbringing. That's what did it.
Speaker 3: I reckon.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe it's just an internal moral compass.
Speaker 3: Maybe can I just say that Tiff had a spatter in her pocket and you had juicy fruit.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that's the Can you tell us about why the two year ago school phone bands are either working or not working? So two years ago phones were banned in school in Australia.
Speaker 1: Did that happen? Is it working or not?
Speaker 3: It started off in Victoria, which was great and according to principles and teachers, I mean a lot of politicians and parents believe this was the way to go. And now after two years there's some real clear statistics that have come out and they're saying teachers are saying since the band they've seen stronger, lesson starts, fewer interruptions, are better flow in teaching. And the other thing is device driven conflict. Evidently there was I don't know whether it was myophon's better than your pixel phone. I'm not sure about that device driven conflict. That maybe just social media taunting, who knows, but that's fallen as well across recesses and lunches, and children are engaging more. So what it means is that because they're not sitting in the schoolyard looking at a phone, than enforced to actually interact with other students. So resoundingly, and this was the survey of a thousand public school principles. This is in the New South Wales Department of Education. They basically said that ninety five percent of principles still supported the ban, and that eighty one percent said the band had improved student learning and eighty six said had improved socialization among students. So I reckon, that's a big tick of approval, and you almost wonder whether that should happen in the workplace. You know, I had a new staff member begin with me yesterday and I know she was trying really hard on her first day, but her phone was pinging a few times, and you just saw that sudden attention totally disappear. And then even though she wasn't reaching for her phone, it was the ding on the phone. And that's the I guess the You know, there are notifications for a reason because it's drawing your attention to the fact that there's something popping up on your phone.
Speaker 4: But it is so distracting, isn't it.
Speaker 3: When the phone is on silent all the time, it never pings, never makes a sound. And in fact, when I go to a meeting, there's a really cool feature on a phone where if you put a face down, it goes into do not disturb mode. So it's a really great way when you're sitting down with someone. I find it's an etiquette thing for me. I place my phone face down and it says to the other person, you've got my attention, my phone is not going to disturb us. And I like doing that when I go into a meeting or catching up with someone.
Speaker 1: I've got a little bit of news for you. This is kind of pseudo news.
Speaker 2: I don't have all the data, but interestingly, well, I mean this is in my space, in your space. So one of the things that's been of or been an issue over the last year or two, and especially more right now than ever, is the use of AI at universities, right because students are using AI to cheat essentially, I mean we can, and the universities a little bit have put their hands in there and gone where fucked like, because you can't combat it, because the AI is so good that it can trick the know. There are programs that kind of oh what's it called. I think it's called turn it in, where they can run your paper through this program to see how much of it's been plagiarized or cut and pasted or cheated or blah blah blah blah blah. But now what a lot of the universities are doing. They're going, all right, well, AI is not going away. CHAT, GPT and the like are not going away. How do we integrate it into the programs and the courses so that it's something of a level playing field. But at the same time, the students are still actually thinking and solving problems and doing work and learning because the whole idea that, oh, we're just not going to let them use AI is just not an option anymore because it's gone beyond that. So it'll be interesting to see in academia over the next two, five, ten years what happens. Because the truth is now that people can produce an academic paper or a paper that looks like an academic paper in two hours that would have taken someone six months, you know, because it can research for you, it can do citations for you, it can reference for you, it can lay it all out for you. It's bloody. It's quite disconcerting for somebody who's just spent six years doing their PhD and has nearly finished.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Do you lock people up in a room with a fountain pen and make them write stuff? It's a hard one. I don't think there's a really good answer. I think that the logical way is what they're doing is try to integrate it and say these are the AI tools that you're allowed to use. And as you pointed out, and I think you said it earlier in the show too, that it's getting harder and harder and harder to pick what is AI generated, and that's just making life were you're second guessing everything I'm doing. I don't use social media, but I was on there recently setting up something for a client, and this clip popped up of a woman in a chicken like it was like a KFC store or something. She was quite a large looking lady and she went to the counter to order the food and then the floor collapsed underneath it because she was so large and it was AI. But before that happened, it looked so real. It looked so real. I'm thinking, what is this picture? Why am I getting this video served up? And it was just this piece of AI slop. But the problem is that it was so realistic. I didn't pick it until, of course the floor collapsed and she fell into it, and even then it looked amazingly real.
Speaker 4: But you knew it that it was so unfeasible.
Speaker 3: It was just ridiculous, But at that point you didn't realize it was something that was just AI, totally AI created.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a little bit disappointed in you because I didn't want to tell you this till the end of the show. But I'm actually in the city this morning doing a presentation, so you've been chatting with AI Craig all morning and you didn't even pick it.
Speaker 3: It's so stupid. It's dumb thing. It is so accurate, isn't it, Tiff, what.
Speaker 1: Are your Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how real does the huge nose look? Yeah, well, that's hurtful both of you.
Speaker 4: I'm going into the city today too, Craigo.
Speaker 2: I'm actually in there right now doing a gig. Tell me what the pope has just pooh poohed. I feel like I'm so glad you could weave something Catholic into our technology discussion.
Speaker 3: Look, I think that's important for you as a well. Actually, and me now that I think of it, because I tried to get excommunicated from the church. I actually wrote a letter in Penn in Fountain, pen to the Archbishop of Melbourne, but he ignored me. I was very disappointed. I'm still reeling from that to not another letter.
Speaker 2: I don't think you know, I think you can just go I'm not on the team anymore.
Speaker 1: See you later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but now you've got.
Speaker 3: To get the letter. You've got to get the official letter of excommunication, which a lot of Catholics out there are reeling about because it's a real bad thing to get excommunicated from the church. But I did actually actively try to because I feel that when they do a census, I wanted all my parish records to be expunged, so they can't count me as a Catholic because they tend to like to do that and say we've got these many Catholics in Australia. It's like, yeah, but I didn't vote to be here, so I'd like not to be in the group. I love my friends who are Catholics, but I just don't want to be one anyway. Sorry, we were talking about the pope went' we that took me down.
Speaker 2: Talk about deer in the headlights, talk about dog with three dicks?
Speaker 1: What concentrate? What adhd.
Speaker 3: Oh dear? Anyway? So the Pope, so yeah, the popes come out and said he's condemned This is very specific. He's condemned clickbait, right, like the Pope, right, the head of the Catholic Church, you know, el Papa, Pope Leo, That Pope Leo the fourteenth is it? I think it's the fourteenth. I'm discounting now. I'm pretty sure he's fourteenth. Someone's going to correct me. So he's condemned clickbait, saying that it's great, it's a degrading part of journalism. So he had journalists there. He was giving a talk to journalists including some Australian journalists and he's patting them on the back and then he gives them a whack over the back of their head. And this well metaphorically because he says that clickbait is degrading. He said that. You know, he's a proactive supporter of journalism, but he feels that communication needs to be freed from the misguided thinking that corrupts it, from unfair competition and the degrading practice of so called clickbait. So he says, clickbait is sensationalist. It's hyperbolic headline that entices online readers to click into a story by admit omitting key information. That's it. That's the Pope.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: He's exactly right, and it's not going away, Pope. So, I mean, exactly you just described and that's not going to stop. I mean, also, why have we had fourteen hope leos? Are not one Pope Darren or Scott or Brian or one scot Pope Patrick. I wonder if Patrick does almost sound Papal does it.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a wonderful.
Speaker 2: It sounds it's quite catholic. Let's do let's do another one or two. Let's talk about Ozzie's having their data stolen and like, how that's happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is typically a real problem. So in Australia we have a thing called the Australian Signals Directorate. Okay, it sounds pretty kind of pretty full on, doesn't it really. I think it's a great name anyway. So last year individual victims of cybercrime lost on average thirty three thousand dollars, a big increase, an eight percent increase. And the problem is that this kind of body that looks into this stuff, the Signals director it is saying what we need to do is make sure people aren't just using usernames and passwords, that it's become redundant, that this is one of the big problems this. Abigail Bradshaw is the ASD Director of the Dead Director General, and she was speaking on SBS and she basically said, we've got to move away from passwords. We need multi factor authentication because that's how a lot of people so it's being scammed. So the thing is it's now not hackers that are hacking in. It's really clever people fooling people into getting their usernames and passwords so they're not hacking into corporations. They're calling and I think the Quantus Data League recently, because of course this is massive, eight million Quantus customers, all them, you know, because this played out about a week ago where there was a hack into a system I think with sales Force was the program that had all the data in it, and someone called a call center overseas and convinced them that they were a technician and needed access, and that's how the hackers got into the didn't actually hack in, they sweet talk their way in and they managed to then get access to all this data. They tried to extort the money from Quantus, saying, if you don't give us x amount of dollars, we're going to release this information on the dark web. Quantus like the right thing to do, and that's the problem because governments are saying, don't let don't give money to hackers, don't give people the money people are extorting money, extorting the money. Don't give it to them because just encourages them. So then they released this information on the dark web and potentially, now if you're a Quantus, you know, if you're part of the Quantus database, then potentially you're user name, your pass word, your address, information related to you for identity theft is now out in the real space and this is the big concern for the Signals Directorate that this is now one of the most common ways. When I log into my bank account, I have a secret code that gets sent to my phone and that's multi factoring for authentication. And so really if you are and even our websites, when we do a website for a client, we give them multi factor authentication to log into their sites. So I guess as consumers we need to be insisting to whatever service we use, whether we're logging into a website and putting out credit card information because we want to buy something, we need to push that and say, well wait a minute, if you don't have multi factor authentication, I'm not going to give you my details. So there should be more pressure in that sense, and we should be more discerning about what we do online based on the secure level of security. And if it's just to use an over password, then maybe that's just not good enough in this day and age.
Speaker 2: Love it last one, last one. So Elon Musk people know created a thing quite a while ago now called neurallink, which is essentially an implant. It's a brain chip, goes inside your skull sits on just on the surface of your brain, which is my understanding. Ascent gives your brain access to the Internet, which is so you can you can google shit inside your head, Patrick if Well. And the story is that ten thousand people have signed up for this, which is mind blowing because who the fuck knows what's going to happen. I'm just putting something foreign. Putting something that's made of hardware in your brain unless you really need it to me, is fraught with danger. But let's say there was no danger and it was one hundred percent safe.
Speaker 1: Would you do it?
Speaker 3: Patrick, I'm going to roll it back one. I'm going to say right now as it is, including the danger if I had murder your own disease, and I was trapped in my own body and not able to move, having experienced that with a very dear friend of mine who passed away a few years back, three years ago, from your own disease, where you basically lose all control of your body, speak, movement, all that sort of stuff. I would jump with anything it take off the back of my head and plug in a computer. So I think it's a circumstantial thing. If I knew I only had six months left to live and I was trapped in my own body, I would be plugging in as many things into my head as possible, if that meant I could at least have some way to interact with the world. So I think it's circumstantial.
Speaker 1: And back to my question, Patrick, would you do it?
Speaker 2: And you don't have mode in you're on, you have an ability to not answer my fucking question and tell a story about just yes or no.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: It's not a use or no answer.
Speaker 1: I think it's a yes.
Speaker 2: It is like right now, as you are now, as you are now, if it was safe.
Speaker 1: Would you do it?
Speaker 3: If it was safe one hundred percent tested and rigorously tested?
Speaker 2: Yes, So fuck you could have just said that in the first place, telling us about mode in your own disease, which we do support MND and Neil Danaher and the work he does.
Speaker 1: Tiff, would you do it?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: If it was one hundred percent safe.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I hope I don't have to have them ever have to make the decision. I hope it doesn't happen that fast.
Speaker 2: You will if it was one hundred percent no, No, I would just rather access the information in the old fashioned way. But then maybe that's just because I'm a scaredy cat, and maybe Patrick, you're right.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's a right or wrong, but just my my gut, my intuition says no.
Speaker 3: Can I just talk about how absolutely lazy that I sometimes can be? So if I wake up in the morning, I've now got I talk to my Google home speaker to add calendon entries into my diary, which is good because if you wake up at two am and you've got all these things going on but you don't want to turn the lights on, I can talk to Google and get it to add that information.
Speaker 4: But sometimes I'm.
Speaker 1: So Google the name of your boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Scott maybe say Scotty, Oh my god, they interchangeable. Maybe.
Speaker 4: So the thing is.
Speaker 2: How many funny, hilarious, entertaining things I could say right now, but I can't. Are the three people that send me emails all the time?
Speaker 3: You go on, But sometimes I'm still in that you know, when you're in that drowsy half awake time of twilight zone. Yeah, yeah, and you're too lazy to even speak to Google or too zonked out to speak to Google. If I had that neural link chip, I could just think it and not have to articulate it, so I don't even have to speak to add that calendar note. See that would be good.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you delayed the end of the show for that, because that was fucking great.
Speaker 1: In your head? What goes on? Oh we love you. I've just taken the p one ss.
Speaker 3: But if I had neurallink, I could plug my head into your head and then you would know what was going on in my head.
Speaker 2: I could And if you had neurallink, you could download your download your dreams and sect them later in the day.
Speaker 3: It'd be awesome. I'd love to I have so many good, vivid dreams. I dream so much.
Speaker 2: Patrick, Speaking of dreams, people who are dreaming to connect with you and get you to help them develop their website, etc. And business and branding and marketing.
Speaker 1: How can they do that?
Speaker 3: Just go to websitesnow, dot com doday. You really the worst?
Speaker 1: And that was the worst fucking segue of all time.
Speaker 3: Me, I'm not as bad in the real world. It's Craig just brings out the worst in me. So if you if you want to talk to me about important things.
Speaker 1: All right, we're going to go. Thank you, Patrick, thank you TIV.
Speaker 3: See you guys,