Speaker 1: I get our team, welcome back to the show. Doctor Jeffer is here once a month or so. I don't know. Is it once a month or once a two months? Once a month, isn't it?
Speaker 2: It's once a month. I think our contract calls for once a month for the next seventy five years.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's it, and we've fixed the rate at zero point zero dollars per month, so the value is there, although although that remains to be seen with this episode. I mean, you've been all right so far. You've been all right so far, but no I'm being an idiot. Thank you again. We love having you. We get great feedback about you. My listeners love you, and you and I were just chatting before we started rolling about the circus that is American politics and living in the middle of it all.
Speaker 2: How is that for you?
Speaker 1: Has it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What are your just your thoughts on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so asperience, and thank you for having me back with your audience. I love to talking to you guys. This has been rewarding and fun. And it's like if I can go off topic in sixth grade, you know, you know, into we call that middle school or junior high here, I had I had a pen pal from Australia. But now through the magic of Zoom, you're my new pen pal. We get to talk, so so thank you for being that. But how is it for us here? We're entertained, As I told you right before we started recording, We're entertained constantly. We no longer are watching movies and television series, uh, you know, to unwind. In the evening, we're watching the news because there's plenty of entertainment, just seeing what happened in the day. So that's that's what's going on there.
Speaker 1: Anything good that's coming out of it for you? Like I mean already I don't know. I feel like you know, in life, like in medicine, in politics, even in science in nutrition, like everyone lives or not everyone, but as people live in an echo China. Right, if you think Trump's an idiot, it doesn't matter what he says, he could say the most profound, brilliant thing of all the time. He's still a fucking idiot because I hide him. Or if you think he's the Messiah, well it doesn't matter what he says. He's right, Like what what's the good and bad? Like just on the surface to come out of it if anything.
Speaker 2: Well, first on the on the on the on the pushing the envelope on the medical side of things. His his involvement of Robert F. Kennedy, junior atop our Health and Human Services Department. Uh, we look to have him shake things up, you know, relook at things that you know, the government says was quote unquote proven, and they misuse that word all the time because what really is proven? So because we relearned new things all the time that reversal things. So I think shaking things up in the medical sense and opening up a lot of the cutting edge things I do to protect my patients, Yes, stem cells, you know, alternative cancer therapies, things like this. You know, it should be a choice, right, It's about a freedom of choosing, and hopefully that they will make it less, They will make those of us sound a little less. Those of us at the tip of the spear aren't as crazy as you think. So so that that I like, certainly, just like your body has sinescent zombie cells that are you know, leaking toxins and taking up resources, so does our government. It's bloated and wasteful, and you know, money and we're finding where money has gone for so many decades, and there's nothing wrong with cleaning it up, making it more efficient, saving money. We pay a lot in taxes. I don't know how that compares to where you are, but certainly you know there's a there's a resource utilization problem for when you get to a certain size population or as they say, too many rats in the cage, they start fading. So I think we have that here. I doubt you have that problem given your population per per square kilometer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think we have like one person per square kilometer. I mean, obviously most of the majority of US live in cities, but Australia is you will take about the same size as America with one fourteenth of the population. So you guys are I think three thirty where twenty five or twenty six something like that. So when when not even California. I think California is forty odd, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Probably the California is sort of like the fungal infected toe of a country. It's a beautiful place. It has wonderful views, mountains and beaches and all things in between, and all kinds of cool things, but it cannot adult. Do you use that term?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. Yeah, I feel from the outside looking in. I've been to California a few times, and geographically I think you mean, you know, geographically it's beautiful, but in terms of what's going on there as a shit vest, it seems.
Speaker 2: Like that's well said. It's the taxation locally. I don't know how it is in Australia, but we have a federal tax, and then we have state and local taxes, and the state tax in California can exceed twelve percent. So if you're doing a federal tax of thirty eight percent, you're already at half your earned money is tax So in Nevada, where I live, there is no state tax. Why because we have other sources of revenues, you know, taxes on gambling and things, so we are a little bit higher. Sales tax A few are the things that make up for that. But you know, a lot of people have moved from California to Nevada for that for that reason, and I.
Speaker 1: Think about a million people have moved to Austin, Texas to live with Joe Rogan.
Speaker 2: Joe and Elon and Tim Ferriss and many others.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, So I want to be selfish today. I want to ask you some questions. I basically want a free consult. Let's be honest, no worries. Yeah. So, so my PhD is all around understanding how other people think, theory of mind, understanding how people think about me, met o perception, and so I'm always doing a deep dive in how people think and why they think the way they do and blah blah blah. And I'm fascinated with the brain more broadly. But for me at sixty one, obviously, I think a lot about how do I keep what I've got working optimally for as long as I can. So, I mean it's you can't be objective about yourself obviously, but I feel like Doc. I feel like because I've been using my brain, probably in the last ten years more than any particular decade of my life, I feel like it's better than it was, which it may be isn't, but certainly my ability to think, clearly, focus, concentrate, produce good work, be creative, communicate, it definitely hasn't gone backwards. What can I do, slash We do to keep our brain and cognition working in somewhere near optimal state for whatever our potential is I mean, yeah, that's the longest question of all time. Steps down off soapbox.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, I got you, and I just read a study on this yesterday. It reinforced what I would have said, and I will see now that I'm going to give you the two most powerful, most influential things to preserve your brain function that you are doing and you should continue doing, and we should all do, is to move slash exercise and to sleep restoratively. And that is different for every person. Let's break those down, if you'll allow so, you could tell me more about exercise. But it turns out that it's the more intense exercise that gives us better release of these small signaling molecules, the small peptides that the muscles release when they're crying out at the end of a workout. Those are called myo kinds. Myof muscle kinds is a nice word for a peptide that likes to do something or likes to go somewhere and has a signal the brain benefits significantly. So this is working out to failure. You know, instead of three reps of ten for your biceps, you should do one rep, sorry, one set to failure. It's in that last rep or two where you get most of the work. That's really where you grow at. So I think we need to change how we look at exercise and do more of this. If if we do cardiovascular it should be more of the high intensity interval type stuff. The heart does better with that. And then and back to the sleep. Restorative sleep might be a certain amount of time. It might be learning how to have an environment so that you get more out of that cellular repair, like a hibernating bear. So you know, you need a cold room. You can snuggle up in the sheets and the blankets, but you should have cold on your you know, your face should be cold, your body should be slightly you know cold there through that purpose, it should be very dark. There should be a wind down at night, whether you turn off screens, where blue blocker glasses or you know, do some breathing and something maybe some meditation or Yoga's just something braf just to turn off the brain. And I like to use a sleep a sleep app or some wearable tech because we have different brain wave forms and stages of sleep, and you could sleep eight hours and not get deep sleep. So you really need to take action, and it's very simple action, like none of these things cost anything. I'm a huge fan of a peptide at nighttime called melatonin melotonin. You say, but that's just an over the counter supplement. Yes, but it's a peptide. It's a hormone that we make and we don't make much of after puberty. Do you ever try to wake a teenager out of a platonic it's time for school? Wake up? Well, you know we've got some recast. Yeah, you've got you know, drool is puddling on the pillow, and they're just absolutely you know, in a deep anesthesia. So why because they this melatonin makes them sleep so deeply, and if you sleep deep, you'll have more dreams. They'll be there'll be deeper dreams, and that's usually stuff your brain wants to get off. It's its chest, so to speak. And some of them could be good, some of them cannot be good, but they need to come out. And taking that melatonin at nighttime a dissolvable is bast in my mind, since it's a peptide. If you swallow a pep ted, it might as well just be a protein supplement because you digested it to immuno acids. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really, that's interesting. And I know this, sorry, I know there's no set prescription, but like, how many milligrams give or take with the average person need of melatonin?
Speaker 2: Well us old guys grouping us together, Craig, because I'm right behind you age wise, steady on it. So yeah, one hundred and fifty, one hundred and fifty five. So the I take twelve milligrams why because I happen to like this, this one I get off Amazon. It cost me ten dollars US for three hundred tablets, so I figure I'm getting a good deal there.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's and I don't make any so it's a desirable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, right, and okay, wow, I didn't even know that you could get dissolvable. I only saying the tablets all the appields.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you don't need to start at twelve miligrams. They make a three milligram five ten, you know, start out where you want to start out. I have some patients that take it and they say, wow, I took I took ten miligrams. I feel groggy in the morning. I said, Okay, we either backed up on the dose or you take it earlier in the evening, so we can play around with that. So your body needs that melatonin because we need to have that cellular repair. The brain does it too, The entire body does it. We repair our DNA, we make new proteins. Plants do this too. Plants have a light phase in a dark phase. They do photosynthesis during the day, and our photosynthesis is eating food and metabolizing it, and then they do a whole dark phase repair. We need that dark phase repair. We are circadian animals. We respond to the to the solar and and some of us respond to lunar cycles, right, mostly women, but men probably have some vestige of that. I just not sure what it is.
Speaker 1: I'm just searching. I think melatonin. Yeah, it's not even This is how restricted Australia is. Doc In Australia, melatonin is not available over the counter. You can get low dose like two milligram, right, but only for people over fifty five. Like Australia, you can't get anything. It's like you need a prescription for fucking milk over here, like everything. It is the most lockdown fucking country in the world with everything. Yeah yeah, yeah, so yeah, you need a prescription in Australia house. Is that Why do you think that is? Like? Is that there's no need for that?
Speaker 2: Right? And I couldn't speak to why it is there. I know we have restrictions on things here because someone has an economic interest in that restriction, you know, a pharmaceutical company or what have you. Yeah, what about this is where are we really free? Are we really free to choose?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, Well let's not even go back over COVID. But you used to.
Speaker 3: I think we touched on it briefly. You should have been in Australia. It was crazy, crazy like that. Anyway, I wanted to ask you, thank you, thank you for that. You mentioned blue blocker glasses.
Speaker 1: I kind of know what they are, but I don't totally know what they are. What are they?
Speaker 2: They block out some of the some of the wavelengths of light. Usually usually it's the opposite of blue, so it's like some of the reds or oranges that stimulate the retinet. I think it's seeing the sun because our body thinks it's still in daytime. We're still releasing courtisol, the daytime stress hormone, when we should be stopping the court is all and taking our nighttime hormone response, the dark phase hormone, the melatonin. So it helps the body not be tricked by all the screens we watch, the probably some of the fluorescent lighting and things like that that are artificially the sun.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, in kind of the fitness industry in Australia and I'm sure in America and in general chat around you know, getting in shape and exercise physiology and blah blah blah, people talk a lot about biological age, right, and there are a bunch of a bunch of protocols that allegedly give a bioage score. I don't think particularly, I just want your thoughts on that. Is it possible to get an indication of one's biological age? Can head to you know, normative data, the all the norm you know where we got well, Craig sixty one chronologically, but he's got similar physiology to a forty eight year old for these reasons, and we did these tests and we compare these results. How insightful and valuable and perhaps accurate or inaccurate? Do you think that is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should unpack this because it actually is a great topic. And let's before I answer that, let's rewind and explain it. We all age on our calendar on our birthday, we know how many years we've been on the planet, right, we know that our you know, born on date, you know when you turn fifty to sixty. But when you start to get into later years, how you've lived, how healthy you've been. Generally speaking, you might look at two seventy year olds and maybe look like if you guess their age, one might look eighty, one might look fifty, yes, And the eighty year old might be very sedentary lifestyle, may have you know, consume too much alcohol and eight preserved food and you know, not exercise all those things, whereas the younger looking one might have played tennis every day and gone for runs and you know eight you know, very organic and healthy foods and fasted sometimes and did all the work and it. You know, if you look at a couple twenty five year olds, you probably wouldn't tell difference, but by the time you get sixty seventy, you start to see that difference. And those two people are the same age, but physiologically slash biologically their cells. If you were to guess the age of their cells, you would say, oh, this one's fifty, This one's eighty, So there are tests for that. As you alluded to, there are a couple different genres of tests. One looks at things happening inside the cell, a biological age test of cell markers. You can look at changes to DNA called methylation, which are so accumulates these barnacles on the DNA. And you can look at telomere length, which are these you know, loose strands at the end of the DNA then indicate how many times the cells have divided and what have you. And that's an intracellular measure. And they have these sort of you know, you take a few of these measures and you you know, you weight them in some in some statistical way, and you come up with a relative age, meaning you're these patterns what we see inside your cells match with a healthy forty year old. We've looked at one thousand forty year olds and you missed for sixty year old look like a forty year old. So they're compared to these sort of large data sets, if you will, which any good pattern recognition system will, which by the way, is the entire foundation of AI, so AI will have to roll. Yeah. The other set of tests look at changes in the bloodstream, and they look at how antibodies collect different types of sugar molecules through a pot process called glycostelation. And these are glcnts. They're you know, like like the word glucose, you hear gluck or glycan. These are sugar. So your antibodies collect sugars in a known pattern. That's compared to a data set. And we have very big data sets on those two and we had we had a guest here recently who who is involved in one of those tests, and they and I said, hey, you know, Americans are so unhealthy. How do you compare the data sets in Europe for America? And they said, Europeans look healthier physiologically, Like if you took the average seven year old European compared to the seven year American, the Europeans are healthier living because they have more restricted preservatives, more restricted red dyes, and all these things which now in America, we're trying to catch up with the rest of the intelligent world, and back to our government, they're helping. We hope that new shakeup helps us get there.
Speaker 1: Do you think the mic America healthy guy RFKI kind of driven? Is that a ZIV do you think that's real? It seems real, like, hey, seem's very very genuine. I mean again, And there are people coming out gown he's a fucking idiot, And then there are other people going he's Jesus, like, thank god he's here.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's an idiot. I don't think he's also Messiah material. But I think that we needed to shake up. We need to relook at data. We need to look at data more intelligently. There's so much published papers in medicine that are fifty years old that we rely on that we were crap or were the best at the time. But now we have new, better data, we might change our mind on things like the whole thing with women and receiving hormone replacement. You know there was this big risk of breast cancer. Turns out we were on yes. Yes, So we need to shake it up and look at things. I think this is going to be good. I think we are going to become healthier. We need to change what's in our food and in our water and give people a choice. You can still, like you said, my boss likes McDonald's. Do you have McDonald's in Australia?
Speaker 1: Do we have McDonald's in the woods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yes, and then they end up at McDonald's. So so you know, you know, President Trump likes the likes as McDonald's meal, right, So, and Robert F. Kennedy says, you should have that choice. But the problem is the cost of healthcare in America is a growing percentage of the of the gross national product, and it's hard to you know, offer that to people when what's happening is it's becoming so watered down and horrible because we can't afford it. And one of the reasons is we're poisoning people by our food. We're actually causing the problem. So first of all, we need to stop causing the problem preventively. That's going to save us tons of money downstream and then be able to help people with real problems who didn't who didn't deserve it, or wasn't self influted or government.
Speaker 1: And I'm just looking here the leading causes of death in the US, UH one hot disease to cancer. What what's your guess for three trauma medical eras?
Speaker 2: I okay, that's that's check.
Speaker 1: That's check jp T.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's that's I'm sure there's a statistic and that's not incorrect. But you know, here, here's what I want to say about that. Yeah, what's happened in America because there's so there's so few health dollars per patient. Is that a typical doctor visit from an institutionalized doctor meetings, someone getting paid by the government or a health plan which is basically government at the end of the day has five or ten with the patient. So they're going to miss stuff. So that's the error. So when I see a new consultation like today this morning. By the way, here it's still it's still our Thursday. So this Thursday morning, I saw a consultation for someone with a spine problem. Because it's historically, I still do that it was a ninety minute encounter. I don't want to miss anything, so I now don't I don't you know, go through the insurance side of things, because they don't ensure anything. So you know, medical errors happen because you don't ask enough questions, you don't spend enough time, you don't listen to the patient, and you prescribe too much, prescribe too many medications, or do surgery too early. So maybe I do believe with that stat I do see a lot of that. I'm very critical of those kool aid drinking, tail wagging the dog physicians, and there's so many of them now and it's just disgusting.
Speaker 1: So if chronological iiging is the constant and biological iges are variable, that we can influence everybody's now everybody's now sitting up and I know we've gone through a bit, but maybe some stuff that we haven't talked about.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 1: So you know, and health span and lifespan the relationship between that, and you know they're in Australia anyway. There are people living longer but not healthier, that is for sure, right, And you're right there are people who there are people who are seventy who look fifty and people who are seventy who look like they're going to die on Tuesday. Right, So it's it's that there's not necessarily a parallel between biological and chronological aging. So what can we do? What can we do that's not going to cost a million bucks? That are simple things that I mean you've already mentioned. So we're going to go through the big ones. Exercise, food, lifestyle, sleep, Right, is there do you want to be more specific in that or are there other things as well that we're not thinking about.
Speaker 2: We can Yeah, So when I sit down, when I sit down with an anti aging client for the first time, we talk about, okay, diet, what are you eating, what are you eating it? What are your macro breakdown? How much protein? Is it good protein? We look at you know, their phyto nutrients, fruits and vegetables. We look at their biome. Are you getting robiotics? We look at supplementation for gaps in the diet. Now in Australia, it sounds like you have some restrictions and what you can get in the supplement side of things, But I personally take a pretty good amount of supplements. I don't know if I've ever showed this to you. This is my prepackaged day pack of supplements for lunch, I mean with lunch, not for lunch, and I take quite a few because I'm just not getting these in my diet right. This is this is making up. This is making up for that. And then we look at their exercise are you are you exercising, are you getting the right exercise? Is it effective? What's your body composition? Do we need to change something? Do you need peptides. Do you need help with weight loss? You know, we love the GLP one agonists for that. It's a peptide which is also known here in the States as ozebic or some glue tide or other one of trzeppetide, monduro or or what gov okay, and there are other ones in Europe. They have read a true tide which we should have soon. And then we look at sleep. As I noticed and we mentioned that earlier. How do you go about it? What's your ritual? What's your wearable tech? Do you know your heart rate variability? Do you know your VIA two max? How long can you how many pull ups can you do? How long can you hang from a chin up?
Speaker 1: Bard?
Speaker 2: You know, maybe we look at stress, mental stress, neurostress. You know, what steps are you taking if you if you if you're a workaholic, you know, uh, and you need to do that. What steps are you taking to recover? To rest your brain? The brain needs rest just like a muscle. And then we look at you know, even even things such as social interactions. You are you alone?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know who's in your life? How is that? And and then we were gone from there. You know, if we're not moving the needle forward. Because we have patients we've looked at their biological age and it was older than their actual calendar age, and we have made changes and moved that biological age because you can measure again and moved it down. So you, like you said, it is inducible, it is movable. That's called epigenetics, right, because you're not changing genetics, we're changing what genes are called upon. That's the field of epigenetics. Some people we we add regenerative medicine. We had stem cell based products and things to help slow and suppress their inflammatory burden. Because remember, aging is inflament. Is inflament is chronic inflammation accumulated. We're inflammaging.
Speaker 1: I was talking yesterday doctor a BLI like cole them I behead likes a BLI like, yeah, I want you to stop waving that into your uh, you know, your conversations. Bloke, Yes, I was talking about I was doing it. Take note. So I was talking to a bloke who has a really good job in that it pays him lots to do, but he hates it, right, he hates it. So not a not a good job in a way, A good job in a way, A terrible job. And we were and I wasn't consulting him. We were just having a coffee and he said, don't. He was asking me about you know, how burnt out I get because I work a lot, a lot, a lot, but none of my like right now I'm working. There's nothing about this experience that I'm having that to me feels like work, because this is this is genuinely fun. You're interesting. I like you, I'm learning. There's nothing negative about this for me. And most of the things, like the hardest thing that I do, which is not that hard, has just research that requires fair bit of cognitive load, and you know, all our kind of stuff, but the impact because we spend so much of our life working. You know, in corporate they talk about work life balance. When I'm presenting, I talk about work impact. So not necessarily how many hours you do versus how many hours you don't do. That kind of seesaw balance thing, but rather like you might have a job that's only twenty hours a week, but it's killing you versus someone who does sixty hours a week, and it's actually going to make you live longer because it just is such a positive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you. A million times over it. By the way, I enjoy this too. This is fun for me. I'm going to say this, You're probably now my favorite bloke in Australia. How I do thank you? I mean thank you. I like you Jackman. I really like you Jackman. But I don't know him, so I know you. So I'm going to say you're the favorite bloke I know.
Speaker 1: Thanks dude, No, I like it. Yeah, so have all the blokes that you know. I'm one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you've You've risen to the top quite quickly, I might say. But I agree with you. I enjoyed this too, and and I get it. Some people have these, you know, horrible jobs and but it pays them well and they need to do it. They've got a family whatever, so they they there are there are ways to, you know, play around there. And my one of my favorite books do you read? Yeah, Okay, I don't, But my favorite book is.
Speaker 1: If I'm honest, I listen more than our raid Now yeah.
Speaker 2: The same same. Yeah, I'm lazy. So my one of my favorite ones is The four Hour work Week by Tim Ferris. Tim Ferris, Yes, automating and outsourcing some of your job, Yes, the extent you can, and so you're at least you could find ways to be a little less miserable or make it fun or or what have you. So, I mean, if you're stuck in it and you're not looking to improve upon it, then that's that's just a behavioral You know, you got some and shoes on. You've got to do something about it. Yeah, but you know you ask why do you hate it? Well, I hate my boss. I like what I do. I hate it may be something like that, a toxic people around me, or I just I feel horrible. You know, I'm selling poison or whatever. Yeah. Yeah, we make nuclear bombs. You know, it just doesn't feel good.
Speaker 1: It doesn't fit with my moral compass, but it pays well. Yeah, thanks thanks mister Oppenheimer. The cafes through there, Yeah, I know, it's uh Like one of the things I wanted to chat to you about today is the the reluctance that that some people in you know, science and medicine and a million fields for that matter, but have to the reluctance They have to say, oh I was wrong or I don't know, Like since I started in exercise science forty years ago, I've changed my mind about half of things right. It's like there were so many things I used to think or do or teach or advocate that I don't anymore, and so many things I thought I had right that I had wrong. So now even when someone says to me, you know, what do you think about this or that? Or what's your thoughts or beliefs, or I go, look, this is what I think about that, but I don't know. But this is what I think and why. But I don't have absolute evidence on that or I think this, but I could be wrong, So stand by because I've been wrong a lot. Why are people so reluctant in some spaces to go fuck? I don't know? Or actually I thought this, but then I spoke to Jeff, and now I think that.
Speaker 2: I think it's hard to some people cannot find they're wrong in their and their opinion or their actions because it's a painful hit to their ego. I don't want to sound like Sigwyn Freud, but I think I just yeah, I think it's hard to say that. And you you show yourself. And one of the reasons I think we get along and you're so affable is is you know you don't you don't you don't take yourself so seriously that you have to be right about everything, and that that makes you the kind of person you want to talk to and hang out with, and and and so, uh, you know, it's hard, and I appreciate that you can change your mind. And and I think when I when I went into regenerative medicine, I had to sort of relearn a whole set of things that were forced upon me in medical school, in residency. And those things may have been right at one time, but they're not right anymore. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they were believed to be right, but now we you know, it's like the food pyramid. It's like, you know, men could never run a four minute mile, that's science. It's like, well that didn't work out, you know, or yeah, I don't, I don't know. I just think it's I think it's also needing to be right. That's got to be fucking exhausting, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It probably does, And I would admit I probably had periods of that, and it doesn't You can end up lonely. Yeah, yeah, that's one way to meet people not want to hang out with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And isn't it interesting like that people don't understand how socially repellent that is, you know, And also it's like, dude, do you have no awareness like this is even though you might think that, maybe just keep that to yourself for a minute. All right, let's talk about something totally different. Let's talk about hot and cold for the body. Like what are your like, cry oh, cold showers, fucking ice bars, saunas, like, tell us about that stuff and where you sit with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I'm a huge fan of ormesis and I don't know if we've talked about that together previously, but for those listeners, hormesis is a slight stress on the body, and it sells to build resilience in the long run.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Examples. Examples would be hot sauna, cold plunge, high intense exercise, fasting, interritten fasting, and actual structural fast one day, three day, five day, what have you. Some people might consider low oxygen like high altitude or hormesis as well. So I'm a big fan of hormesis. I love hot sauna. I don't dislove cold plunges. I just find them cold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, you've done your research. Yeah, yeah, that's why we buy you the big box exactly, which sauna stain or infrared or something else.
Speaker 2: So listen. I'm a fan of infrared or red light therapy for anti inflammation, but the infrared SNAs don't get hot enough. So I like a traditional, you know, finish style sauna, which is usually a rye. You know, it's usually electric heater with the rocks. It doesn't have to be steam. It could be steam or not. I don't think it matters. But it has to get up to one hundred and seventy five degrees plus fahrenheit. I don't know what that is in uh in intelligent world metrics, but the and you're supposed to be in there for you know, twenty twenty five minutes. You work up to that five days a week, and then the health benefits are amazing. So I'm a big fan of that. Uh. We're thinking about putting one in the house as part of a remodel. Right now. I have to go to the the sports club, the gym to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just figuring out what one's seventy five in celsius is Fucking hell, that's hot. Seventy nine point four Yeah, Yeah, that's hot, dude, That's that's wow.
Speaker 2: That's cooking a chicken hot well, and I can do twenty twenty five minutes. I don't bring you know, I don't bring my phone and my cell phone with me because it tends to go on the fritz when I get in there. But my Apple Watch will work, so I can track the time on my Apple Watch, and I'll it's since you. I'll track my heart rate and if I get up to one one hundred and forty five beats per minute, that's usually twenty twenty five minutes. Because it's a cardiov asked to workout, you'd be and heat. And the reason the reason for that is do you know why?
Speaker 1: Well, because why it's a cardiovascular workout. Yeah, let me have a guess. Okay, cardiac drift because blood volume is decreasing your sweating, so your heart's got to beat faster to deliver the same amount of oxygen blah. So you've got yeah, less blood volume.
Speaker 4: Do it.
Speaker 1: And you're trying to get that around the body.
Speaker 2: The body's trying to cool off your eyes. It's and to do it. You know, you you've got a sweat, so it has to over the blood to the superficial small arteries and capillaries in the skin. Just like an elephant cools through its ears by you're driving blood through blood flowing because you can't cool fast enough. The heart has to beat that blood, yeah right, many more times per minute through your skin so it can get to the surface and you can sweat. So it's a it's a it's a metabolgic demand for that purpose of your heart. Your has to work harder. You're right, good job.
Speaker 1: What's a kind of and again this is not a personal prescription anyone, but broadly speaking, doc a bit of a So if I want to start doing sauna, what would be a stepping off point for me? Like seven days, three days, two minutes, twenty minutes give us the way when I start.
Speaker 2: I like to lock in the day the day ritual. So if you say I'm going to do five days a week Monday through Friday, but I'm going to start out with ten minutes, and maybe I'll start out at one hundred and sixty five and then maybe each each day you add a degree or a minute. Yeah, some progress, so so that after a few weeks you can you can get to where you need to go. And I like to do it in the evening. Then take a nice cool shower to cool down. Man, you will sleep better. You talk about more restorative sleep. That's a that's a that's been huge for me.
Speaker 1: So speaking of cooling down at the other end of the temperature spectrum, what what's what's your advice or thoughts around the different forms of cold therapy.
Speaker 2: So I don't have that data because I'm I'm I'm not. I don't have the aptitude for the cold. So I know, I know some people that do contrast therapy to do heat than cold. They go from the hasana to the cold lunge. So I don't know the metrics. Uh. You know, there are a lot of products now you can buy called chillers where you can connect it to your own bath and create that, or you can buy a whole separate device that does it. So I don't know the metrics for that. I don't know the right temperatures. I don't know how long to be in there. But I know that the people I follow that do the deep dives, like Huberman and Ronda Patrick, I'm sure I would. That's where I would go and research it and listen to their podcasts on it.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is literally I just wrote on my pad in front of me, Ronda Patrick, and then seven seconds of you went she talks about hate shot proteins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about heat shock proteins.
Speaker 1: They're my favorite stought. Yeah cool, So tell she talks about that in relations, sonar and a bunch of other things. So tell us what that means and how that relates to us.
Speaker 2: So can I can I speak to evolution or is that? Is that a no? Where you taught evolution and in Australia?
Speaker 1: Okay, well we all know that God created the world in seven days, but nonetheless we'll I have a look at just for this one conversation.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it was a long seven days. I think the time was a less.
Speaker 1: So if you look at.
Speaker 2: Heat shock protein, particularly like heat shock protein seventy because they're more than one heatchock protein, and you go down into the more primitive species, including bacteria, you'll find that heat chock protein is preserved. The genes that code that protein are the same for plants, for bacteria, fish, humans, mice, everybody, we all have that same he It's a primitive survival protein. And when you take a bacteria and you expose it to heat, it releases this in an attempt to survive. It's a restorative protein. So we see if you go into why is hot sun and healthy because it makes you reallyase heat chok proteins. So Ronda Patrick is absolutely right. And you know we studied this. It was in our college classes in biochemistry. You take bacteria. You see if you can cause mutations, and you you expose some heat, you release these proteins. Heat shock protein is amazing. Now when we do some of the regenitive therapies here in the office, stem cell based or stem cell derived signaling factors called exosomes, they're chock full of heat chock protein. You find it in the amniotic fluid. It is this, it is. It is not just because it's released by heat. It is a restorative, youthful, survival protein. We love those. That's what you give off when you have hormesis. Cold plunge gives off heat chok protein too. Yes, so you exciting stuff. Now you might say, well, what peptides are all around, why don't we just start injecting ourselves with this heat chok protein. And my answer is we probably will be soon. Do you think.
Speaker 1: They'll jumping around a lot of the place, so we know it. We know that testosterone is the dominant male hormone, and we also know that you know, it declines as do many things with age, and you know this is like, well, we don't even mention the word testosterone in Australia because oh my god, it's it's you know, like it's it's I don't know, it's a taboo conversation. We can talk about anti aging and hormone replacement therapy for women, but not for men. What's the kind of thinking and current status around TRT TRT listeners being testosterone replacement therapy in the States? Where's that at? Is that? Is that a thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It is. It's a huge thing. Let's talk about that because it's very interesting because here in the States it's the opposite. Testosterone therapy is well it's not. It's a controlled substance, but it's very powerular and you know, the women have been held back because of misinformation about risk of cancer and stuff, and perhaps for a long time the fake estrogens from horse urine and stuff like that. The conjugated ones may have been problematic, but the bioidentical, the actual hormones we make are anti inflammatory and help maintain youthful behavior. If you think about it, women who have more children later pregnancies longer cycles into their lives before they reach menopause, live longer. It is a longevity move for survival. So those estrogens are preservative and interesting that you look at women. You know, very few women during pregnancy or youth when they're estrogen is surgeon get breast cancer. So estrogen can actually be protective against breast cancer. Yes, in fact, it's an old tree for breast cancer to use high dose estrogen. Now it's it's difficult to tolerate because it caused all kinds of swelling and things and men. You may not have as big a need for it in Australia because you have safer food and water. Here in America, we have the land of the feminized male. Right, men are not what they used to be. And whether it's because there's hormones in the food or stuff in the water, or phytoestrogen and glycophosphates and all kinds of crap you know, on our grains and corn that we shouldn't be eating anyway, you know, we've got men want to become women, and you know, you know, don't know how to protect and feed and house and do do you know, do basic you know things that we probably did one hundred years ago. So there's a bigger need for it. Here. We're seeing men in the thirties and forties with low testosterone numbers and behaviors and symptoms going with it, you know, low sex drive, you know, just just less fewer alpha males. We've lost that masculine edge here. Uh except me, of course, so I knew that. Yeah, I'm just it's just oozing off of me. But the uh, the uh, the ripples of the replacement. I've learned about this years ago, and in fact it's a big anti aging uh you know, uh movement to to start to replace slash optimize hormone levels. Early on, there was a theory that as you age, your hormones declined, and someone said, wait a minute, what if you age because your hormones decline, so let's start to replace. This That was years ago, and that that actually has has helped. So uh, you look at you look at older men with testoscerin replacement, and they have more muscle mass, more bone density, same with the women. More bone density. Man, you think about more bone density, more bone, marrow, more marrow, more stem cell activity, more stem cell activity, more youth. So I'm a big fan of bioidentical hormone replacement and optimization men and women. Even if you've already had menopause, ladies, you can start it later. Hormone replacement is known in both sexist to reduce dementia, reduce cardiovascar disease, reduce you know, bone and muscle loss, and all those things if you can manage them. We'll support a healthy longevity.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And with all of that, you move better, you can pick up your grandkids, you can get in and out of the car. Activities of daily living, like on a functional, operational, day to day level, like cognitively, emotionally, psychologically, physiologically. Yeah, Like I don't understand because all where you know with this is what do we want? Well, we want people to live as strong and healthy and operationally functional for long as they can that I can walk up the corner here and I can buy a hundred cigarettes, which absolutely we know kill people, but the government has a four hundred percent tax on those cigarettes, so they make shitloads of money. Like something that we know kills people, I can buy it. The corner store. In fact, any eighteen year olds can buy it the corner store. But when we talk about you know, bioidentical hormone replacement therapy, it's just and I look at so many dudes over here as well and women whom I just think, wow that if you could just get someone to like a responsible clinician. By the way, everyone, I'm talking about the medical supervision with I'm not talking about Brian who's got the panel van and sells gear out the back, because there's a few of those around. We don't want those. I'm talking about you know, blood tests, clinical supervision, like prescription through a medical professional, because like, here's the truth. With some people, they might they might have their food and their exercise and their lifestyle somewhere in the ballpark of optimal. But if they're in the crime systems just not working optimally, they ain't going to be anywhere they're optimal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's fair. And again this all comes down to its setives, right, you know, So what's the incentive for not making this available? Like why is this not available where you are? Because here here in America you can go online with an app and one of these companies that has like and they do prescribe it, like there's a doctor ask you a few questions, or it's automated and they prescribe it. Someone's signing off on that. Then they send it to you in the mail. So here, Yeah, it's pretty well done. You can you can get that for women and for men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, who knows what. Let's just do one or two more things. Have you got a few minutes stock?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And I wanted to ask you a question at some point, So leave me two minutes for that, if you if you'd be.
Speaker 1: So kind, well, why don't we start with that, because it's probably more interesting than me.
Speaker 2: Oh I doubt it, but so listen, I want the view from an Australian. We watched this dramatized series on Netflix about the the woman who purportedly faked her cancer, and can you what's the real skinny on that story? You know that I've watched. I've watched the dramatized version.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is what I'm about to say is you're probably asking the wrong guy. But I know what's her name? Belle someone? Yeah, she's quite well known over here. And the I the story was that, yes, she faked cancer and you know, exploited people and made lots of money and got lots of attention and sympathy, and I think quite a few high profile people got on board to support her, and she was in magazines and in the media and she'd turned her life around and she was this survivor and it was all bullshit. So yeah, I mean, to me, she is a sociopath. That would I mean, to be able to do that with no and even in interviews now that would seem to me sociopathic behavior, nasis, sociopathic nasist. But yeah, it's true. And I mean you probably know as much as me, but definitely there are a lot of people who are not a big fan of her anymore. Let's just say the compassion and the care that was once directed towards her, I think that's long gone. But I mean I haven't seen anything super recently, but I saw something not long ago where the interview was saying to her, but just admit that, just admit, and she's like, no, I did, didn't. She's like you did? I mean, this is not in question, and she just sits there and pathologically lies with no hint of discomfort. I'm like, Wow, we could imagine if we could harness that. I mean, like, you know, when people the ego.
Speaker 2: The ego doesn't want to you know, I know I've said this, so we can never go against that, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm probably it's probably all my listeners like, shut up, Harps, you're fucking this up. I watched the whole series, get the doc to ask me. Yeah, but it makes me cringe a little bit. So yeah, but that so that's getting a little bit of air time in the States on Netflix, is it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: It just blew through like a like a virus, and we all watched it. And now there's a subsequent like documentary style, so is drama the drama drama. So we watched the dramatize one because that guy, you know, number one on Netflix. You got to watch it, right it shows up on the screen.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: But I just just wondered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we might leave it there. But I love talking to you. We so appreciate you. Tell people how to connect with you and where you want to direct them.
Speaker 2: Please, Well, yeah, call called Craig Harper and here's my home number. Check us out at re celebrate r E C E L L E B R A T e celebrate dot com, YouTube channel, Instagram, TikTok, whatever you use. I probably have a re celebrate account there. And I think we're the only people using that word that spelled that way, so you'll fight us.
Speaker 1: Also, I'll put that in the show notes, so if you can't remember that, just go look in the show notes. We'll say God buy off air in a moment, doc, But again, thanks for coming to play on the new project. I love hanging out with you and I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: I back at you.
Speaker 1: Thank you.