Speaker 1: Late Welcome to the Late Debate. Thanks for joining us on the Late Debate. I'm James Macpherson with Caleb Bond and freyer Leitch. Coming up tonight our dope of the day at Queensland tafe teacher who tried to sell college property on Facebook marketplace.
Speaker 2: No idea how he got court.
Speaker 1: Plus when we look at what's making news tomorrow, members of the public will be allowed to carry pepper spray in the Northern Territory for self defense and the Career Mail reveals the eyewatering amount Queensland motorists have been fined in traffic offenses.
Speaker 2: All of that coming up.
Speaker 1: Shortly, But first, the Federal Court has ruled that a non citizen sex offender should be allowed to stay in Australia. In other words, no, the government cannot deport this sex offender. And I'm reticent to say it, but I think I agree with the court on this one. There's no question the man should be deported. A Somali refugee who pled guilty to an indecent act in front of a child on public transport. But the issue is how long it took for the Albanese government to get around to try to deport him. The sex offender's visa was upheld by the administras of Tribunal in April twenty twenty one, but it wasn't until June twenty twenty four, and after media coverage, that the then Immigration Minister Andrew Jiles finally got around to trying to deport the guy, three years and two months after the event. The Federal Court Judge Christopher Horn said in his ruling, if the Minister is to exercise the power to set aside the original decision and cancel the visa, the Minister must do so within a reasonable time. Otherwise the connection with the original decision as the object of the power will be lost, and it can no longer be said that the Minister is addressing or responding to the state of affairs produced by or resulting from the original decision.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think.
Speaker 1: There's any question at all that former Immigration Minister Andrew Giles was responding to the original issue. He was responding to the media attention. In other words, he acted three years and two months later to try to deport the man not to protect Australian citizens, but to protect his own reputation and that of a labor government, who we all know is weak on borders and on immigration.
Speaker 2: Oftentimes, Caleb, we blame.
Speaker 1: The legal system for stuffing up these things and preventing the deportation of people who should be evicted from this country. But in this instance, I think the court's got it right. The fault lies with the political class, specifically the Albanese government and Andrew Giles.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: The cause is simply trying to uphold good governance and it's not often that the courts do these things. And of course I'd like to see this guy deported. I do believe in ministerial discretion he ought to have the power to deport people in these cases. But those decisions should be made as soon as someone is convicted of a crime. Once you've been convicted, you've been sent to jail. Once you walk out of the front gates of that jail, you should be on the next plane out of the country. If you are not a citizen and we have somewhere we can deport you to.
Speaker 5: These are decisions to be made three four years down the line.
Speaker 4: Because the Australian found it out before you did and wrote it up in the newspaper.
Speaker 5: Because in those intervening three years and again. You know, I hate to sound like I'm.
Speaker 4: Defending a sex offender, but you by not deporting him when he's walked out of jail or after the conviction, you've given him the opportunity to continue or to set up a life in Australia. And so three years down the line you then say to someone, oh, sorry, buddy, we got it wrong three years ago. Now it's time for you to buzz off. In the meantime, he's made his friends, he may well have started a family, so many things you can do in three years, bought a house, whatever it might be, and all of a sudden we go, oh gee, we made a mistake.
Speaker 5: We've got to get rid of you.
Speaker 4: These decisions should be made immediately, The minister should be on top of them, and the court is simply saying that is how things should be run. And if it takes one guy who ought to be deported not being deported to.
Speaker 5: Get that message through to the government, I think it's worth it.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree with you, Caleb that obviously this was a failure of the Immigration minister to deport this serious repeat offender in the first place. However, I do disagree with the Federal Court's decision in this matter, because it's very clear in the Migration Act ministers have the discretion to intervene and cancel people's visas and that is at their discretion. There is no time constraint in the Act on when that discretion should be exercised. So while I agree with you that he waited three years too long, I think in this instance the judge has made up a time frame within which you should use that discretion. That is simple not in the law. The law's very clear the minister has the discretion, there is nothing about it being it has to be within a certain amount of time or reasonable time. And then once you invent that, well what is a reasonable time? Three weeks, three months, three years?
Speaker 1: Which is because those who wrote the law never anticipated in immigration minister like Andrew. I know, I know he would be asleep for three years and two months be more getting around and doing his job.
Speaker 3: That may be true, but why should serious offenders benefit from bureaucratic incompetence and why should Australians be put at risk and criminals not be deported just because we have an immigration minister that can't do his job on time. Even though he failed in his job to do it in a timely manner. That is not necessarily against the.
Speaker 4: Law, because everyone, including criminals, unfortunately, are entitled to procedural fairness. There was a problem clearly with the Administrative Appeals Tribunal through which this case originally went, where he was given the right to stay in the country. That was a serious issue that went on four years. It was only blown open by the Australian So the Federal government took no issue with the decisions of the Administrative Appeal Tribunal. Four years allowed that problem to festa where people were allowed illegal people who have committed crimes in this country while on visas were allowed to stay in the country on the flimsiest of reasons, and the federal government saw no problem with that. All they tried to do was save face. The court is simply saying that you are entitled to procedural fairness, and the minister failed to deliver the good news.
Speaker 1: The good news is the government can appeal this decision and I expected around seven to eight years from Yeah they probably.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know, and Caleb, that's a valid point. Everyone should be entitled to procedural fairness. But just because the decision to cancel his visa was delayed, does not mean that procedural fantas resigned because the criminal still got to appeal the cancelation of the visa, So even though it was delayed, fairness was not denied.
Speaker 1: That there's a perception issue here, though Freyer, it could well be argued that if the minister had no problem with this man staying in Australia for three years until it appeared in the Australia, that the issue is not in his sex offense.
Speaker 2: The issue is the publicity and that's.
Speaker 3: A big bob and that's where I agree with you. The problem with this government is that Giles only seemed to care once his own failures were blown up in the media. But that doesn't change the legal standing of the decision.
Speaker 4: How Typically, now, I'm going to start this story with a quote for you. Let me read this to you. It says we stand at a pivotal moment in our community's history. This this sounds like a rousing sort of speech, doesn't it. The acquisition of thirty plus acres in Mikolam isn't just about land. It's about securing our children's future and establishing a legacy that will serve generations to come. And it might sound like I'm reading to you from the manifesto of the boy Scouts or something like that. I'm actually talking about a big Islamic compound that some people want to build in Victoria. Of course, they said Michelm before is the suburb in Melbourne where they want to do this. There's a boke by the name of Sheik Abu Hamza. He also goes by Samir Motardi. He runs a charity called Iis in a World Aid and he's trying to raise three and a half million dollars to build an Islamic compound in Melbourne that well, it has everything except a supermarket. Basically, it would have two high schools boys and girls. It'd have a primary school, a special needs school, a retirement village, a nursing home, a hall, a sports field, multiple sports fields, and a mosque.
Speaker 5: It is the one stop shop in his vision for Muslims in.
Speaker 4: Victoria, which raises the question if you're able to do this. And he's asking but he's got half the money so far. He says, he's asking for one thousand people to donate three and a half grand each so he can go and buy this land for three and a half million dollars to build his massive Muslim compound, and of course that would then have to go through planning permission, et cetera, at which point I expect there may be a lot of opposition voice to the Council of the State Government whoever has to deal with that application, based on the value of the apple.
Speaker 2: But it surely it.
Speaker 4: Raises the question that if you are able to create these compounds, and of course you come from a religion that is not the majority religion in this country.
Speaker 5: We're talking here.
Speaker 4: About Islam, you're trying to segregate yourself from the rest of society. If you belong to another religion or another race or whatever, and you come to Australia, surely you come here because you want to be part of the country.
Speaker 5: Well, this is the exact opposite of that.
Speaker 4: And time and again this is the issue we see with social cohesion, particularly it would seem when it comes to Islam, people trying to remove themselves from the rest of society on that basis alone. Should this ever get to planning permission, I think it needs to be knocked back.
Speaker 1: Well, the irony here is the Australian government has just vetoed the visa of an Israeli American speaker because he said that radical Islam was like a global plague. So he's been denied entry to this country. And yet in Victoria you've got a Muslim leader building a thirty acre compound who said things like if the then opposition leader visited his mosque, Peter Dutton, the man he was talking about, would be thrown out. He's called for the eradication of Israel, and he's described Zionists, those who believe in the state of Israel, as blood sucking humans.
Speaker 2: Here's some of what he had to say.
Speaker 1: This is the man who proposes to build this Islamic compound. I've always said that, I've always believed that these Zionists are not normal.
Speaker 5: They're blood sucking human beings.
Speaker 2: They're scavengers, they're not humans.
Speaker 5: I swear by a lot in Shawa they all go.
Speaker 6: Back to Ukraine and Russia and America and Britain, and that Palestine is pure from these filthy terra Zionists.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's got the right to build a compound, for sure, but is this the kind of person we want gathering like minded people together so that he can influence them and propagate his view of the world.
Speaker 3: It's extremely shocking and to use that language like we hope Palestine is pure from these people, these blood sucking people. That language of disgust is reminiscent of the kinds of language people use when they want to dehumanize others and then justify, you know, horrible things against them, and so I think it's really concerning. It's also concerning that if this compound gets built, how much oversight is there going to be of what happens on the compound. I imagine not very much, and that's part of why they want to build it.
Speaker 1: It raises some questions, and one is around and I'm not sure where this man was born, et cetera, et cetera. So I'm not talking about him specifically, but we do need to have a talk about immigration and the values that we bring to our country. I do note that that Sheikh said that there was nothing wrong with what he said because he was simply exercising his freedom of speech. He's quite right in that. But we really want to make or people who come to Australia I'm speaking generally, that they view the values in this country as a privilege to be cherished, not as a right to be leveraged and to be exploited. The other thing this highlights is the danger we have, particularly on the left, of continually dividing the community up into groups who have grievances against one another. Because when you've got that happening, there's no overriding Australian values or glue that everyone can join together. And so what you're going to end up with is not just an Islamic compound in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: You're going to end up with what do you want to call them?
Speaker 1: Compounds, ghettos, isolated groups of all kinds, and the country just fractures along those lines. And too often we see politicians exploiting grievances so they can play to different groups, promising to solve their grievances in return for power, and we wonder why the country is so fractured. What we're seeing there is just a symptom or an example of a broader problem we have in this country where politicians are increasingly dividing Australians in order to win power rather than trying to genuinely unite us.
Speaker 5: Yes, and they are dividing themselves.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, if you want to build a religious compound where you have basically everything, that the only reason that you would need to leave that compound is to go and do your shopping. You are essentially saying I don't want to participate in broader Australian society. It is a one stop shop. It is religious separatism, and we particularly see that as a problem with certain elements of Islam. The guy leading it, we just told you and showed you what he says, so you'd certainly have issues with the elements of Islam that he may will be preaching within this compound. And you have a situation, of course, where demography is everything. Demography dictates destiny. And so if you say it's all good and well if they have one of these compounds, well someone will see that and it'll turn into compound after compound after compound after compound, and people go, well, Australians the country where we can go and do whatever the hell we want, and no one's going.
Speaker 5: To stop us.
Speaker 4: We took the other night about the United Kingdom, and I'll preface this by saying that we are restricted by broadcast rules about what we can and cannot say so I'm being careful here, But we took the other night about a story out of the United Kingdom where they're saying that the population that the Islamic population, what was it, by twenty fifty or the end of the century, will be twenty five percent Muslim. So you start moving towards that, and you're talking about a very different country you're looking at. I know the numbers aren't to start in Australia right now, but you start allowing this sort of thing, and you set up a world in which, yes, Australia could be twenty five percent Muslim.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing. Multiculturalism or multi ethnic societies only work if we have shared culture, shared values, and shared experiences as well going through the common school system, integrating with people of different backgrounds. That's all really important to have a cohesive society. But a new study has just come out which says apparently the majority of Australians, in fact, seven in ten ouzsies admit to faking sick days, costing the economy seven point three billion dollars a year. Some of the reasons they might fake six days is lack of sleep. Others say it's for they want to relax and recharge, like a well being day, and others take a mental health day. And women apparently are more likely to take mental health days than men. And apparently eighty five percent of gen Z my own generation admit to doing it, which is a little bit depressing.
Speaker 1: So as a woman, and as gen Z on the desk, pray, you need to explain yourself.
Speaker 3: I do not take fake sick days, but I know this is a common thing, and people look at these six days of their crew and they think, well, isn't this unfair? I know my fellow colleague is not sick. They're getting all these extra days of leave. Because I'm healthy, I have to show up to work more than other people. Isn't that unfair? But I do think this is a little dodgy. It undermines trust in the workplace and it's just not the kind of culture we want to be setting.
Speaker 2: It's totally dodgy.
Speaker 1: Talk to many Aussies and I said, ah, THESSI it's a great tradition. But if you talk to employers who have to pick up the tab, who have to deal with co workers who now have to do extra work because others are away. I don't think they believe it's just a great Aussie tradition.
Speaker 2: It's it erodes trust.
Speaker 1: As you said, then it undermines productivity, and kind of the way you're looking at me, I reckon you're going to defend Sicki's.
Speaker 4: I am as someone who doesn't take them.
Speaker 5: I mean I've been.
Speaker 2: Sermitting on behalf of a friend.
Speaker 4: No, no, seriously, I've been renowned in many workplaces for never taking sick leave, and I've probably taken the most sick leave I've ever taken in the time i've worked here, purely because you don't want to go on air sounding really hoarse and like it's much more difficult to do your job while sick.
Speaker 5: But when I worked in newspapers, I mean hell or.
Speaker 4: High water, I generally went to where whether I was hangover or sick as a dog or whatever it might be, I always showed up for the job because I thought that was the right thing to do. But you get your ten days of personal leave a year if you don't lose it. You know, if you don't use it, eventually it'll disappear one day.
Speaker 5: If you leave your job, you do a crew, but you can keep it I checked.
Speaker 4: I've got more than four hundred hours of personal leave sitting this. I think I can take about eight weeks of sick leave, so I'll see you by the time summer comes around.
Speaker 5: But you know what, Look, seriously.
Speaker 4: If you take one day off here and there, who really cares?
Speaker 5: I've your wages cares?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well you can go and take it up with the government and say, mister government man, why are you giving them ten days a week. Well, honestly, if you're taking a day off here and there, does it really matter.
Speaker 5: It's your leave for you to do with what you want.
Speaker 4: If you're taking a day off saying is sick, seriously, get over it.
Speaker 5: But you are a bunch of narks.
Speaker 1: It's sick leaves, it's not I want to sleep in leave. So it's not yours to take willy nilly as you feel. It's there in case you're sick.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, well I'm you prove I'm not sick. I'm sick. I'm sick in the head. I don't know. You can be sick with a hundred different things.
Speaker 1: That's the other right, So then when people are genuinely sick, if you've got too many staff known for taking sickies. Then you call in the question the legitimate claims.
Speaker 5: What you're going to start saying they're going to be knocking back sickly.
Speaker 4: But I don't think that's good. I mean they can they can force you to go and get a medical certificate. If you, as an employer, are not making the employer get the medical certificate, you're.
Speaker 5: The idiot, aren't you.
Speaker 4: I mean, really, if the rules are there that they have to prove that they get the medical certificate, you.
Speaker 1: Want to be able to lie to your boss, just sleep in or go to the foot, go to the races or whatever.
Speaker 2: But it's everyone else's fault and responsibility.
Speaker 5: What do you mean it's everyone else's fault and response.
Speaker 3: We have to pick up the slack if you don't pick up the slack.
Speaker 4: This is a three person panel. They've put another person in this seat. They have to pick up any slack at all. I don't know why you ken.
Speaker 1: Can I just remind you our very first episode of the Late Debate.
Speaker 2: I was six as a dog. You were yeah, And I didn't take a sicky I showed it, yeah, And.
Speaker 4: You had COVID mate, and you could have come. No, you ate COVID and we started this program, and you could have come in and got the rest of us sick, and that would have been the end of the late debate in it his first.
Speaker 5: Week, that was irresponsible. You should have taken you sickly.
Speaker 2: I was committed, I was here. We're going to move on from that. Thanks for telling everybody I had COVID. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, it's just the truth that you believe in that about credit.
Speaker 1: Tunnberg who had been kidnapped, and I got to admit it was the most strange kidnapping you've ever seen in your life. The IDF intercepted her boat as it headed towards Gaza, and having kidnapped her, they plied her with water and sandwiches. Then they took her to safety, where they requested she watch a video the horrific atrocities committed by her muss on October seven. Tunberg, when she realized what that video was, refused to watch. And so next minute, these evil kidnappers put her on a plane back to Europe from whence she had come. Here's Donald Trump talking about Greta Tunberg and his view of this very special woman.
Speaker 6: Well, she's a strange person. She's a young, angry person. I don't know if it's real anger. It's hard to believe, actually, but I saw what happened. She's certainly different anger management. I think she has to go to an anger management last, that's my primary recommendation for her.
Speaker 1: If we can just show the images of Greta Tunberg again on the plane as she was sent back to Europe, she doesn't look that happy. She went to Gaza to win a Nobel Priest prize and instead she only got sandwiches. She wanted free Palestine, she got free sandwiches.
Speaker 3: And to add insult to injury, this is apparently the first time she's flown on a plane since twenty fifteen, so she was probably sitting on the plane stressed about all the carbon emissions that she was emitting. And I also love that the Israelis put her right next to a toilet, exactly where she belongs. But to be honest, the fact, on a very serious note, the fact that she refused to watch the footage of October seven. She went to Gaza under the pretense of caring about civilian suffering, but when given the opportunity to actually witness firsthand the worst massacre of Jewish people since the Holocaust. She refused, so that shows us it's not really the civilian suffering she cares about. She doesn't care about Israeli suffering. She is anti Israel. None of this is about being pro Palestine, because if she was pro Palestine, she'd be condemning her mask. She'd be calling for the hostages to be released, she'd be supporting the Gazan Humanitarian Fund, which is actually delivering aid two garzens versus letting it be looted by her mask. But she's doing none of that. So this is just an outrageous stunt designed to keep more international pressure on Israel. But I think Israel handled it as best they could. But it really does show her true colors.
Speaker 4: You're right, it was a stunt and it's turned into a side show. I mean, really, all Greater cares about is publicity for herself and the money she gets from her funders to do these stupid things, right, I mean, I honestly don't think she actually cares about anything. I think she was a young woman who was exploited by adults in her life and pointed in the right direction and wound up like a doll, and she did the job brilliantly. Now she finds herself as an adult struggling for relevance, and so she's jumped onto what is the nearest issue, which is currently the war between Israel and Gaza.
Speaker 5: But I'll go back to what I said last night. I think they've given her.
Speaker 4: Israel's given her what she wanted, which was the headline to say they won't get into Gaza.
Speaker 5: And you know, I'm not saying.
Speaker 4: That these are the people that I follow continually on social media, but if you go on social media and look at you know, lefty people who have a passing interest in this issue, they all.
Speaker 5: Think Greatera is a hero.
Speaker 4: And principally they think Greatera is a hero because she stood up to the IDF. So again, I feel like they've handed her a free kick that they didn't have to know.
Speaker 3: No, I disagree with you, Caleb. I think the IDF handled this as well as they could because she's trying to paint herself as this kidnapped victim when there are photos that clearly show the difference between her kidnapping and real kidnapping of Israeli's On October seven, like the ones you can see on your screen. Did have Mass offer their Jewish victims nice pastrami hla sandwich is in a bottle of water and a safe escort to safety. Absolutely not. She looks like the absolute jo that is exploiting the suffering of innocent people for her own financial and publicity gain.
Speaker 1: I should refer to this tweet from Heidi Backham, which I thought summed it up really well. She tweeted, my husband's cousin was kidnapped from his home in Israel by her muss He was dragged to Gaza barefoot, covering in his daughter's blood.
Speaker 2: He never came back alive.
Speaker 1: How dare you use that word referring to the claim of those on the Freedom flotilla that they had been kidnapped by Israel.
Speaker 2: Facts don't matter for Greta Tunberg.
Speaker 1: I mean, aside from her views with on her mass and the environment, she's all about women's rights too. Will her uncovered legs and her pensiant for speaking her mind would never be tolerated in Gaza, where she was going. But the facts don't matter to her. What matters is the photo opportunity.
Speaker 2: She got. Her photo opportunity but I'm with you, Frayer.
Speaker 1: I think the frown on her face as she sits by the toilet in the aircraft with no ability to recline her seat says.
Speaker 2: It all all credibility gone.
Speaker 1: And as for those lefties, Caleb that you're following on so social media, if they believe Greta is a hero for standing up to the IDF, they will believe anything whatever.
Speaker 5: They may well.
Speaker 4: But I guess that's the point I've been making, is that you know, people who like Greta will think she's a hero for this, just as they would have thought she was a hero if she made land in Gaza, And people who don't like Greta think she's an idiot, and they would have thought she was an idiot regardless of whether the IDEF intercepted her boat. So you've not really ended up any better off. They've given her the tools she wants to use to say Ah Israel. You know you've ended up in the same position.
Speaker 1: Idea should be thanked for saving her life because she probably would have been in my day.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not thinking I'm not going to thank the IDEA for saving her life. They could have all done us a favor and let us sail on into Gaza as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about.
Speaker 4: Alban Easy at the National Press Club today. Of course he's on his victory lap, and deservedly so because he did have an exceptional election win. But he's been talking about this message recently about what do you calls progressive patriotism. I think he sniffed the wind. And of course seeing that overseas, particularly in Europe, there has been a great move towards people saying I want my country to remain my country, particularly when they've.
Speaker 5: Had issues of migration.
Speaker 4: We know how large the migration has been in this country in recent years under Alberanize in a move towards people saying I want to look after my country first. Alah, Donald Trump America first.
Speaker 5: So the Prime Minister.
Speaker 4: Anthony Albiniz, he's tried to tap into a little bit of that while also.
Speaker 5: Maintaining a left wing a gender It's a bit strange. Take a look.
Speaker 7: On the third of May, the Australian people voted for Australian values, for fairness, aspiration and opportunity for all, for a progressive patriotism where we are proud to do things our own way.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm going to come back to the progressive patriotism point in a moment.
Speaker 5: Can we just see a little bit of that again.
Speaker 4: Keep your eyes very closely on the Deputy Prime Minister Richard Miles. When the Prime Minister talks about national pride.
Speaker 7: On the third of May, the Australian people voted for Australian values for Fenn.
Speaker 5: He rolls his eyes.
Speaker 4: The Prime Minister talking about Australian values. Wat should again that is very clearly an eye roll. Now, the cameraman who turned the camera on Richard Miles deserves a raise for picking up that bit of footage. I did sit forget about anything else, the Prime Minister said at the National Press Club today. The fact that the Deputy Prime Minister rolled his eyes at the PM mentioning Australian values, what is going on?
Speaker 3: It's like Richard Miles's nose, Alban easy is full of absolute horsepoo. I mean, you can't what is progressive patriotism? It is an oxymorn. Patriotism is in inherently conservative. It's about love of country. It's about protecting what we have been proud of who we are. No country that no government that has let in record numbers of migrants, no government that is making our country commit economic suicide for reliance on intimate and energy, No government that is trying to rewrite our history as this dark, negative, terrible thing we should all be ashamed of, that can possibly claim to stand for Australian values or any form of patriotism. And this progressive patriotism stuff is just a sham.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: Patriotism does not exist in the world of Anthy Albanesi and nor the facts. Here he is speaking about the Channel nine US correspondent who was shot with a rubber bullet.
Speaker 2: Listen to what he says about that incident.
Speaker 7: Well, she was clearly identified, was clearly identified. You know, there was no ambiguity. She wasn't wearing a trekkie, She's wearing a helmet and something identified her as media.
Speaker 1: Really, well, let's take a look at the vision we all saw it yesterday. I just am surprised Anthie Alberanze's spoke about it without having seen it. She's wearing a helmet, as you can clearly see there, and she's got across her chest media, so she's clearly Oh, hang on a second, she's neither wearing a helmet nor a vest. That says media Anthony Albanesi is speaking about footage she clearly has not seen. I think this is just elbow jumping on the anti Trump bandwagon. He's using this as a pretext to slam Trump and Trump's policies, which is typical Labor and typical Anthony Albanesi. But clearly he's got his backs wrong or he's being deliberately foresee.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think they were Trump's gooons anyway. I think the suggestion is they were lapd So you can take it up with another bunch of people. Indeed, But you know, I think the point he is making is right that you shouldn't be shooting rabber bullet's a journal simply doing their job. But just take some detail, take some hair in the detail, because it discret read it to your argument when you get basic things like that wrong. And one of the great criticisms of Albanizi from within his cabinet and people within the Labor Party is that he is not a details man, much like Donald Trump in some ways he far favors truncated versions of detail and for someone to explain it to him rather than to pour over documents and go to the nth degree on the details of things, and this would seem like an example of him missing those basic details.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Well, speaking of the LA riots, things are only escalating. Seven hundred Marines and have now been deployed to Los Angeles and they'll be joining the two thousand National Guard that are already there. And the scenes on the streets are honestly shocking. Setting fires to cars, throwing bricks at police vans. I mean that is tantamount to attempted murder. And all of this is happening while the lap are completely overwhelmed. So Trump is naturally sending in reinforcements, but Gavin Newsom doesn't want them, and the Democrats have doubled down on their call to stop stop aggravating the protesters by enforcing the law. But the one Democrat that does seem to have their hair their heads switched on is US Senator John Fetterman, who said, rightfully, he does unapologetically stand with free speech, but you lose the moral high ground when you refuse to condemn setting cars on fire, destroying buildings, and assaulting law enforcement. And he rightfully points out This is anarchy and true chaos, and that's exactly what it is. But it is genuinely shocking because sometimes it feels like we live in an alternative reality to the mainstream media, because we've all seen the images of the sheer chaos in La Yet some in the media in the US think it's it's all happy dandy, just a bunch of peaceful protesters.
Speaker 8: Check this out, large group of people. It could turn very volatile if you move law enforcement in there and the wrong way and turn what is just a bunch of people having fun watching cars burn into a massive confrontation and altercation between officers and demonstrators.
Speaker 3: That's what I do on the weekend. I'm just one of those people who watches cos Ben have fun. This is honestly insane.
Speaker 1: It absolutely is, And I mean that was just one example. Take a look at this. This is media reporting versus the reality we can all see with our own eyes.
Speaker 4: The La County Police say that they have it under control.
Speaker 3: Caring a plague is not illegal.
Speaker 4: As you know, these agents are the ones provoking protesters. We are having an administration that's targeting peace full protest people that are there at protests unrest is isolated, LA has bombed, and millions of people, most of them are having a normal day here on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Conyson's rate there was anything like a riot happening on Friday Saturday.
Speaker 1: Of course, not everybody understands what the media are talking about when they're talking about Trump deporting illegals.
Speaker 2: He's this woman.
Speaker 3: I hear Donald Trump is sending all of the ill Eagles out of the country. But if the eagles are so great, doesn't he just take them to the vat.
Speaker 1: I love it, But the Democrats are really that's a joke, by the way, in case anyone out that was parody. The Democrats are using us to push their pre election agenda, trying to paint Trump as a dictator, as someone who wants to use the military against his own people. Gavin Newsome describe him as a deranged dictatorial president fulfilling his fantasies by unleashing the Marines. Democrats Senator Seth Molton said this is exactly what Trump wanted to turn the military against the American people. Bernie Sanders has ascribed Donald Trump as a wanna be dictator. Of course, Trump is simply trying to enforce the law which the Democrats who are in charge of California are encouraging everybody to break.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: Of course, and we mentioned before this business about rocks and bricks being thrown at police as take a look at this footage.
Speaker 5: It's worse than you can imagine it could be. Oh, can you.
Speaker 4: Throw on bricks at the police? You know, that's what happens in the United States now when you try to enforce the law. I suspect many of the people there probably a bit like that joke we showed you about the illegals. That's probably the greatest understanding of what all of this is about. They're just there to ironically actually have some fun because for some reason or another they think that's the way to behave in Trump's America.
Speaker 5: He's so bad, the Orange Man bad that.
Speaker 4: It justifies us doing all this sort of stuff. It is just disgusting.
Speaker 5: Before we get to a break, you might.
Speaker 4: Have heard this evening, The Sidny Morning Herald has been reporting that the ABC's long running current affairs program Q and A is coming to an end. Just a day after Channel ten said they were going to act the project over there, the ABC says they're now going to get rid of their flagship panel show seventeen years or nearly seventeen years. In two thousand and eight, Q and A has been running on the ABC, and once upon a time it.
Speaker 5: Was appointment viewing.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I never missed Q and A on a Friday because it was the place you could go to for some real debate about the issues that were facing Australia. And they get any time there was someone big in Australia, they'd have them there on the panel, the Richard Dawkins of the world, Like, you know, anyone who was a major international figure when they were here was on Q and A to slug it out. I feel like in recent years, particularly after Tony Jones left, it's more or less turned into a left wing gab fest, so it's lost its reason for being. Consequently, it's lost all its viewers, and now the ABC says it's a lost cause.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a shame. There's not really anything like it on television at the moment.
Speaker 1: But I dare say it's such a great concept, and back in the day, as you say, it was a must watch program. So I dare say, at some point somewhere someone will bring back something similar and I hope they do because we need decent debate in this country.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, look at what's making news tomorrow, including members of the public in the Northern Territory will be allowed to carry peppespra pepbat spray for self defense.
Speaker 2: That's coming up in just a moment. Welcome back to the program.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at what's making headlines tomorrow, so your first informed. The Northern Territory News has an interesting story on the front page. Plans to bring in pepper spray sale trial for safety OC spray to be sold, reads the headline. The COLP government is taking public safety to a new level in the Northern Territory with pepper spray to be available for sale in coming months. Plans to launch a twelvemonth trial will allow eligible members of the public to carry the substance for self defense under strict legal conditions. Now pepper spray is of course illegal right around the country except in the West. Australian government allows people to carry pepper spray on their person if they have quote unquote reasonable grounds to believe that a threat might arise, which is a little murky as to how do you prove that you have reasonable grounds to believe a threat will arise. There's an interesting case there in twenty two thousand and two where a motel owner broke up a fight between guests using pepper spray, and weirdly, he wasn't charged for using the pepper spray, but he was charged for having the pepper spray on him because he was asked why did you have it in the first place, and he couldn't prove that he had reasonable grounds to believe he would have been a target of assault. That was later overturned on appeal. But I think that's the kind of law that this will be for certain individuals who have grounds to believe they are in need of self defense and a weapon to provide that defense.
Speaker 3: It only seems reasonable, especially with the youth crime crisis going on in the Northern territory. I would argue this should probably be extended to Queensland as well. I mean, you have kids coming in armed with knives and machetes, all sorts of weapons, and you're in your home completely defenseless, Like, how is that fair?
Speaker 4: Well, I should be extended everywhere as far as I'm concerned. I've never understood why pepper spray is illegal for a person to carry.
Speaker 5: I mean, you don't hear of massive.
Speaker 4: Problems in Western Australia as a result of it, do you. If there was an issue, I'm sure we'd know about it. I mean, you know, we don't really have any form of self defense available to us in Australia. Of course, we have very strict gun laws. You can't have you'll carry like you do in the United States.
Speaker 5: If you're a woman.
Speaker 4: Who finishes work late at night and you're on your way home, walking through a park or on a footpath or whatever, we basically say, yeah, your fair game. You have nothing with which to defend yourself. And I think that is a ridiculous situation that we should have done something about a long time ago. Good on the Northern Territory for taking some steps to do.
Speaker 3: Something, completely agree Moving on to the Herald Sun now, the headline is hospital fraud scandal. Damning allegations that staff at Victoria's busiest emergency department have been falsifying records to meet strict new workload targets are being investigated by the Department of Health. A Northern hospital whistleblower has claimed staff routinely change records, a practice dubbed data washing, to show patients being offloaded from ambulances within target times. Screenshots of internal hospital systems allegedly show offload times being falsified by up to an hour in some cases. So let me get this straight. Staff and a Victorian hospital are literally manipulating data, so committing low level fraud in order to show that they're more competent than they really are. I mean, nothing much surprises me coming out of Victoria these days, including gross incompetence, but this does seem concerning.
Speaker 2: It's an old expression.
Speaker 1: There's lives, damn lives and Victorian hospital figures. In August twenty twenty four, it was reported that in all of Victoria there were only twelve percent of ambulances available to attend emergencies because eighty eight percent of the available ambulances were waiting outside hospitals for patients to be offloaded, and the two worst hospitals were the Northern Hospital near Epping and the box Hill Hospital. So a year later, it's not surprising to hear that staff at the Northern Hospital are accused of falsifying records to try and make it look a little better.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it was South Australia.
Speaker 4: They built a temporary tent next to the Royal Adelaide Hospital so they could grit patients out of the ambulance, so they could therefore say that there was no problem with ramping, even though of course the patients just to be moved out of the ambulance neve to the tent, so it did nothing to help the capacity of taking on the patients. And there was a very similar story broken in the Sydney Morning Herald on Sunday that in New South Wales hospitals public hospitals are meeting their KPIs and targets for surgery waitlists by just simply refusing to put people on the waitlist, particularly people with like category one cancer surgery required. That these are the most serious cases and the surgeons are having pressure put on them from those above them.
Speaker 5: That unless you can guarantee.
Speaker 4: We can get them in a room within thirty days, do not put them on the waiting list, because of course once they go on the waiting list it takes fifty days. Then it shows up as a problem with the weight times. If you're not on the waiting list, then you don't count in those statistics. It's a bit like Anastasia Palishaine. Queensland performed all these laws around youth crime and said, look, there's been a reduction in youth crime mostly because they got rid of crimes and change the behavior just means there are a few of people doing crime. Speaking of Coinsland, on the front of the courier Mail tomorrow it said road fines cash grab Queensland motorists was like nearly five hundred million dollars half a billion dollars in fines in a single year, with the government raking in three times more cash from bear drivers than it was five years ago. Motorists breaking seatbelt, red light, speed limit and mobile phone news rules. We find four hundred and sixty four point three million dollars in twenty twenty three twenty four, up from one hundred and seventy two point two million dollars in twenty nineteen twenty despite fewer offenses being committed. Well, you're not telling me that state governments used traffic offenses for revenue raising, are you.
Speaker 5: No, that wouldn't possibly mean true.
Speaker 4: So fewer offenses are being committed, but clearly they have increased the fines, so they rake in more money and say happy days.
Speaker 5: I mean, what is the point. What is the point? Well, I know what the point is for them to make lots of money, but it's not fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you could take the argument, well, if you don't speed, you won't have to pay the.
Speaker 2: Fines, so there you go.
Speaker 1: My problem, though, is less with the amount that people are being fined, and more the way they change speed zones, where you go from sixty to forty and back to sixty again. It's chopping and changing, and half the time you never know what speed limit it is on the road that you're driving.
Speaker 2: That's where they catch Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've been caught like that on the West Connex Tunnel in Sydney when there was a construction zone which was changed to forty. I obviously assumed it was still sixty or eighty and so you know, it sucks. But really I think fines are often just a tax on the stupids, so I support them.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the front page of the Hober Mercury, where, of course, the political stalemate in Tasmania dominates Governor Baker to consider all available options before triggering state election. And of course the sub editors have had their best day this year with the headline poll dancing to describe the situation. Tasmania will remain in limbo for several days as the governor pond is a way to resolve the state's political crisis. Premier Jeremy Rockcliffe met with Governor Barbara Baker at Government House last night. After losing a vote of no confidence on the floor of the House of Assembly last Thursday. Mister Rockcliffe was expected to ask for an election to be called. That meeting was quite brief, less than an hour, and the Governor has said he should just cool his jets while she works out what should be done. So it'll be almost two weeks where Tasmania has effectively had no political leadership. There's major decisions hanging in the balance, not least of which Caleb the AFL Stadium. No one knows what's going to happen. It seems the governor doesn't know what's going to happen either.
Speaker 4: Am going to say good on Barbara Baker because she's simply trying to void the good people of Tasmania having to go to an election again. Because elections have very expensive things to run. So she's saying, look, seriously, you lot knock your heads together and sort this stuff out.
Speaker 5: You're acting like a bunch of children.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I'm not really sure about why that's the authority of the governor, given she would be pot it by the Premier.
Speaker 5: But that's the only point of the government.
Speaker 3: It's interesting. Moving on to the Australia now second Monash embryo debacle, Satan Federal health ministers will meet on Friday to urgently discuss regulation of the IVF sector after listed fertility company Monash IVF reported a second a mix up that resulted in the wrong embryo being implanted in a woman. Monash IVF on Tuesday morning notified the Australian Securities Exchange of its latest bungle, confirming it had mistakenly transplanted a Melbourne patient's own embryo to her instead of her partner's embryo, as the couple had planned. The incident occurred at the company's Clayton laboratory on last Thursday. Now, the details of exactly what happened appear a bit confusing one embryo to another partner. But it's the wrong embryo. But I think the point here is that this is the second second mistake made by monash ivf. A couple of months ago, they implanted someone else's embryo in a woman, meaning she delivered someone else's genetic baby. I can't even imagine how traumatic that would be for people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, this is not the sort of mistake where normal businesses might be excused. This is you're dealing with human lives here, and for them to make one, not one, two mistakes like that is pretty outrageous and quite shocking.
Speaker 3: It's pretty shocking. Just quickly before we go, Snowy Hydro two point zero pays frog penalty. They'll pay four hundred thousand dollars to protect an endangered frog species as penalty for polluting a site and Mount Kosiosko here go.
Speaker 2: You don't want to mess with those frogs.
Speaker 1: When do you go to a When we come back, Dope of the day, a tafe teacher who tries to sell tape equipment on Facebook marketplace.
Speaker 2: That's coming up for a moment. Welcome back to the program.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the great things about this job, Caleb, is there's always someone doing something stupid to talk about.
Speaker 4: Indeed, there is and we call them the dope of the day, and today's entry is a bloke from Queensland called Trevor Donaldson. He works at Taife there and he stole from his local tafe a fire pump and a garden shed, which he decided he would put up on Facebook marketplace.
Speaker 5: Now, as you can.
Speaker 4: Imagine, when the tafe found out about this, they said, mister Donaldson, you may have to sack you. So he appealed the finding of misconduct, and of course the Industrial Relations Commissions come back and said, well, yes, you did actually misconduct by stealing tafe property and try to sell it online. His reason or his excuse for this not being misconduct, he says, is because he didn't dishonestly obtain and try to sell these items, because he did so on Facebook marketplace.
Speaker 5: And so it was well known to everyone.
Speaker 4: That he had taken these items and tried to sell them online. Therefore it wasn't dishonest. I mean, that has to be the flimsiest argument of all time. I stole the tapes property, but it's okay because I didn't hide that I did it.
Speaker 1: He also said the property wasn't of any value, to which they replied yeah, but you sold it for two and a half grands.
Speaker 3: Really, it was last night we told the public service to auction off useless items. Clearly he was watching the late debate and he took that advice to heart. But it's okay, don't worry.
Speaker 2: Before we go.
Speaker 1: A couple in West London woke up in the morning to find their Jaguar had disappeared from their driveway stolen. So they rang the police and the police said, look, we're really sorry, but we just don't have time to investigate.
Speaker 2: Well, there was an Apple air.
Speaker 1: Tag on the car that enabled the couple to track it on their phone, so they told the police, if you don't track down our car, we'll do it ourselves, and so they did. Later that day they found where the thieves had stolen the car, so they went back and pretty much stole their own car back. There's been thirty three and a half thousand car thefts in London last year. Out of thirty three and a half thousand thefts, three hundred and twenty six have been solved by the police. Any wonder that to get their own car? That's it from us stick around. Coming up is the Reader Penney Show, Good Night