Speaker 1: From the United States.
Speaker 2: This is Paul Murray, Live Gooday.
Speaker 1: Australia, and welcome to Washington. As the impact of the US election is being felt not just here in the capital of the Democracy, but around the world. Our final show from Washington is going to be one full of all stars. We have got the best lineup you will see all day and it begins with our dear friend Meghan Kelly. Meghan Kelly, of course, wasn't just somebody who talked about Donald Trump, but as you know, she ended up standing with Donald Trump. I think what she had to say was critical in being able to give a whole collection of people the final permission to be able to vote for him. Meghan Kelly with the inside story of her role in the Trump victory in moments from now. Mick mulvaney will join us as well. Now, now you've seen Nick a lot on the channel over the past few days. What is fascinating about the chat that we're going to have is how do you put together a government? How will Trump put together a government? How does Trump two point zero make decisions that are different than Trump one point Oh. There's also an awful lot of detail that I want to get to this morning about how the Democrats, to quote one organization, are scratching their eyes out. Now away from all of this, a dear friend, mentor and a hero of mine has made a very big decision today. He's made it public, and that is that the great broadcaster Ray Hadley is stepping away from two GB. He has had an incredible career, a Hall of Fame career. We will discuss it and his decision to step away from the day to day of an incredible grind but also an incredible career at Ray Hadley in a moment or two's time. But let's deal with everything that is happening in the United States today now. Obviously, when we're not on television, we're trying to talk to as many people as possible to get a bit of an idea about what is going on. And the days in Washington are absolutely spectacular. The mornings were a little bit cold, but this was an image that we were lucky enough to be able to capture, which I think is going to become an iconic image. The day after Donald Trump wins the presidency, somebody with the giant flag the Maga hat makes their way down to the White House. This is the equivalent of the undernew Management sign being hung at the White House. Have a look at that as people of many places come to celebrate the result that, of course they took such a massive role in. Now I mentioned Meghan Kelly as well, and I've got to say, I want to play you the way that she started her show today in the United States. Now, of course we love her, but she is such a consummate professional and a brilliant broadcaster. And she's somebody who called bs on Kamala Harris years ago and has this for middle stump. She used the words of Harris to describe the joy of Trump.
Speaker 3: The dreams, the ambitions, the aspirations that were unburdened by what has been when Americans decided to turn the page on the Democrats and say we are not going back, and say hard work is good work.
Speaker 1: She even used the actual footage of Kamala Harris's Joy to explain the feeling in trump Land, which is otherwise known as the USI right now, but joy.
Speaker 4: Cometh in the morning.
Speaker 5: The path may seem hard, the work may seem heavy, but joy cometh in the morning, and just morning is on its way.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, preach sister Joy does come with in the morning.
Speaker 1: Well it's morning here in America, and we will continue to talk to Megan about the joy that she and many other people are feeling. Now, let's get to what I think the story of the day is. And after playing nice on election night, after slowly going to their corners, licking their wounds, and Kamala Harris finally conceding this election, Joe Biden will speak from the White House today. Joe Biden will of course not answer any questions from the White House today, and he will talk about the importance of a peaceful transfer of power. It is a difference between, of course, what happened four years ago and what is about to happen in January. But the real story is one that will not play out in front of the cameras. Now, let me explain what we're about to see now. When you lose, it's everyone else's fault. When you win, oh, I was one hundred percent responsible. So you've got to take big grains of salt with all of this. But you need to understand the tension that was always in and around firstly the Biden campaign that then became the Harris campaign, and it connects back to the Obama campaign. Now, obviously Joe Biden hates Barack Obama because Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi got together and started to use all of the tricks of the trade and all of the tools that they had to push Biden out of the election. Now, whether that was exposing him to a debate which had never happened before in a modern presidential campaign, remember that happened in June, which exposed how weak he had become, which produced a whole collection of pressure That meant he was eventually confronted and pretty obviously behind the scene. As you can imagine, he was offered one of two options. If you go now, we'll treat you like a hero, we'll name buildings after you. But if you don't go, we're going to blast you out. And that means everything from the twenty fifth Amendment to let's start to have a look maybe inside Hunter's laptop. So of course he goes Harris. Then in twenty four hours is able to seal the deal because clearly she's been working behind the scenes for the many weeks seeing what's coming, to make sure that everyone else is out of the way. But because the election was so close, and because Kamala Harris has pretended to be side by side with Joe Biden the entire time, I am a continuation of what he is doing, but I'm really a brand new broom. She kept all of his campaign machine in place. Literally, her campaign was not run from Washington, it was not run from California. It was not wrong from Chicago. It was run from Wilmington, Delaware. It was Joe Biden's team that was still making the calls about how the Harris campaign was run. However, there was a little cherry on top, which was the price of the nomination, which was that for Barack Obama to help put it in her hands, she had to take on his former campaign chief. So you have the Biden machine being told what to do by the Obama team. Inevitably that's going to lead to fights. Then, of course there's the Harris team who were saying, well, great, guys, it's not about you, it's about us. But of course, the last time the Harris team ran for president, she wasn't even able to get past the first round. Remember, she dropped out before the primary took place, and Joe Biden became the nominee. In twenty twenty. So with all of that swirling around, with all that palace intrigue, I want to show you a story which has just dropped on a website called Politico. Now Politico is a very inside baseball, inside politics. It's literally media about the bubble for the bubble, read by the inner bubble. Okay, here is how they are starting to point fingers at each other. Now, as you can see, team Biden versus team Harris, who lost twenty twenty four. The Biden sympathizers want to pin her loss on well her. The Harris defenders believe Biden's undeniably at fault for creating a forbidding political environment. She proved unable to overcome. The early hours recriminations only highlight the denialism of both factions in the wake of what will be the first GOP popular vote in two decades. This failure has many fathers. The article continues and we start to get into some stories now about what was really going on behind the Joy and Love campaign. Given the scale of difficulty that she faced and yes, how bad the initial internal polling was. She was being advised by people who helped her through her political career in California to start taking some risks. Yet since she first was elected, Harris has been cautious to a fault, and here was once again at a moment that demanded risk. She may well have done the best that she could, as one person close to her told the reporter who wrote this story yesterday that there was no example of her actually confronting Biden on immigration or the Middle East. So it put simply if she turned around and started to say, well, Joe was wrong here and Joe was wrong there, the problem was she was in lockstep the whole time. Why because she knew that her run at the presidency was going to come four years later if Joe Biden had been re elected, or her run of the presidency would come four years later if Joe Biden had been defeated. No plan for her to be running now. But then the daylight started to open and she ran through it with the help of, among others, Barack Obama. Now fascinating to notice here too, this is how it ends. Democrats don't just have a Harris or Biden problem. Their challenge is far deeper. They have a voter problem. So this is the story, right, We're past all the fakery, and we're now going to start to see the lie that was put before the American people in a desperate hope that they would be able to win this election. Now, in terms of some of the reaction to it, it will not surprise you that the lefty media is not taking this well. Now. Don't forget. They don't like the result, but they also don't like that they have now lost control over the American people to tell them what is what the priorities of what they should think before they vote. Here's some of the media meltdown that's been playing over the airwaves and online in the past day.
Speaker 4: There are levels of sexism and racism that clearly a lot of people in this country are willing to tolerate.
Speaker 6: I can't help but wonder if the American people have given up on democracy.
Speaker 7: Okay, let's be absolutely blunt about it. There were appeals to racism in this campaign, and there is racial bias in this country, and there is sexism in this country. And anybody who thinks that that did not in any way impact on the outcome of this race is wrong.
Speaker 4: Black voters came through for Kamala Harris. White women voters did.
Speaker 8: Not Donald Trump has been impeached twice, he was indicted four times, convicted on thirty four felon accounts. He's been found liable of sexual abuse. His campaign spewed a lot of racism, misogynies, you knowphobia, but voters seem to overlook all of that.
Speaker 1: This is the country we live in. People at this point want a strong man who's a bully, and they got a strong man who's a bully.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think we need to start saying out loud that you know what is different between Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Everybody thinks they're exactly the same on policies, but one is a woman of color and the other is a white man that everybody was really comfortable with that were moderates and knew him well and had known him for decades.
Speaker 1: Now, of course, the truth is that they could be blaming and pointing and winging and all the rest of it. Remember these were the people who pretended nothing to see him. When it comes to Joe Biden, who was melting before our very eyes, was all cheap fakes, deep fakes. And remember it was like day forty nine of his presidency in two thousand and one when I showed you the video of him falling up the stairs, that was the first sign of that decline. And of course all the polites media wouldn't dare get involved in that conversation. But please spare a thought for the ladies of the view. They had one heck of a struggle session on air today. I get it their team lost, but what about this for Denile.
Speaker 3: It would help if we could regulate social media because one of the biggest defenders is DC and Congress have not been able to do one thing in regard to the role corporations.
Speaker 1: I got journey about it.
Speaker 4: As a woman of color.
Speaker 6: I was so hopeful that a mixed race woman married to a Jewish guy could be elected president of this country. And I think that it had nothing to do with policy. I think this was a referendum of cultural resentment in this country.
Speaker 4: He's now the president. I'm still not gonna say his name.
Speaker 1: Well, good luck to you. Right these people can live in their own bubble, their own bubble of denial. They can turn around and say that they know better than everyone else. Here's the deal, right now, if you have an opinion show, you're allowed to have a strong opinion. But if you think that your opinion is the only opinion right, and I say that as the person with the opinion on the television, then you have lost all touch with reality. Okay. You need to always keep your head on a swivel to work out what the people who you completely disagree with might actually be right about. And this is part of what I think is going to be one of the five things that we have not just learned about this election, but the five things that you need to think about when you think about American politics going forward. All right, now, I love this as a sort of a side hustle to our focus on Australia, But let me talk now about these five things, right, because I think this is important to have a look at about where we go to in the future. Now, first, poles don't matter anymore, Okay, we all know that they can be fiddled with, and I don't mean fiddled with in some sort of way where they are manufacturing the answer. What I think they're doing is they clearly are unable to talk to a section of the country that does not want to talk to them. So if you want to know who's up and who's down for the next four years until polls are proven right, and they won't be follow the bookies. That poly market, in particular, it was an excellent indicator of who was up and who was down depending on any one day. I also say that one of the five things you need to keep an eye on for the next four years is that the top down media is done in the United States. Now, will they continue to exist, sure? Will they continue to have fewer viewers, fewer readers, fewer listeners because they are talking to a smaller and smaller and smaller circum Yes. Now that does not mean that facts don't matter, the truth doesn't matter, that people should just read like North Korean television talking points from the White House each and every day. But the idea that unnamed sources have said this and said that every and you never give the benefit of the doubt to the person you disagree with politically, well it's just not going to work anymore. You also need to get back to a little bit of old school, which is, hello, I'm the news reporter. This is what happened today. He said this, she said that, he promised this, she promised that, and stopped telling us what you think of what he said today? Or what she did today if they want to have any relevance back into the future, but their moment in the sun has gone. The Internet has won this election as the main source of information, all right, it's really important. Second third thing, No one cares about endorsements. It doesn't matter if it's a form president, and it doesn't matter if it's Oprah Winfrey. It doesn't matter if it's Taylor Swift. No one cares. Why because none of these people are like the people who are actually voting. These are essentially like people who live in castles in Martha's Vineyard or California, and they walk out onto the balcony to tell the people what to do. We love when they sing, we love when they act, we love when they dance, we love when they play football. But I don't care what their view is about how the world should work. Also, political parties can no longer do the Jedi mind trick thing. Okay, We've talked about this a lot, about when the Labour Party will turn around in Australia and say the economy is amazing. Don't worry. No, the economy is not amazing because the people who are in it have less money and everything costs more. And finally, beware the power of the forbidden. Anyone who's got toddlers, teenagers, or remembers when you were young, when you were told don't do this and don't do that, and that's bad. Guess what you want to do. If they have spent years saying you put that red hat on, then you're making a mistake. Guess what they do. They want to do it, because, apart from anything else, it is a giant middle finger to the person who is telling you not to do it. Five things to pay attention to in the next four years. As we head home at the end of tonight's broadcast, and we turn our attention to our own politics. As I say, we spent the day walking around in Washington today in the shadows of the White House, just to see how people felt the morning after. And guess what they were cool, laurious day. Hey, this is it the glorious day you're feeling after the election?
Speaker 4: I think not either way.
Speaker 6: I'm okay with who was selected, whether it be Donald Trump or whether it be Kamalaer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and guess what. The sun came up the next day and it's a beautiful day alive. That's it and you've got your family and you're on the scooters.
Speaker 4: And that's what matters. It's in Gud's plans. If it's Guard's plan, does Gus what's going to happen?
Speaker 1: Was it good that it was a blowout, nice and decisive, no mucking around, no the Russians or no stolen ballots?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, without you know all that show and tell stuff.
Speaker 1: And it looks like a cleaner win.
Speaker 8: It looks like a more efficient election than it did a couple of years ago.
Speaker 9: When I'll want to come together, that's the issue here. So the problem is that we think that this person has one, this person's lost.
Speaker 4: But it's not about that.
Speaker 1: It's about coming together. Now. Let's let's get this.
Speaker 7: Let's get a.
Speaker 9: Country back to where it needs to be.
Speaker 1: I've been here for a week and that's the nicest thing I've heard since I've been here. Man.
Speaker 3: I was a little older earlier and asked him if I can hang out a banner on here, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Home, Matt Tony and lets you close to it. Ross Greenwood has been following the events of this week from New York. Ross. It is, of course the start of a day where we reflect upon what might be ahead. It'll be fascinating to watch the Democrats call each other's eyes out. It'll be fascinating to watch who Trump's going to start to put into his into his cabinet. But if the stock market was the next version of the betting markets, they like the result.
Speaker 10: They did, and really the stock market took off. But have a look at the bitcoin price. That was the thing that I watched.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 10: Of course Trump has always been a big supporter of cryptocurrency, so as Elon Musk has backed him, and as the big winner of the day, no doubt He's wealth went up fifteen point four billion dollars because Tesla sharsburn. But bitcoin went through seventy six thousand dollars US for the very first time, some suggesting it's on its way to one hundred thousand. So in many ways, this is, you know, the way in which people might have could argue gambled on this election result. But it's also the way in which people think that America will prosper under the Trump administration. And you're right about the people that he's now making selections about who does he put in Secretary of Defense. Mario Rubio potentially could come back. A guy got a good story for you, And this is a guy called John Paulson could be the new Treasury Secretary replacing Janet Yellam. His background's kind of interesting. If you've ever seen that amazing film about the collapse of Ball Street the global financial crisis, the Big Short, well he was one of those guys who was a part of the Big Short, made three billion dollars in his hedge fund as a result of it. Well, he could be the new man with the real hands on the tiller of the America's economy under the Trump administration. So it's just interesting to see how Trump picks these people the way in which they then respond to his agenda. But the one thing is that no matter who was appointed, Trump will have his hand right over the top of them, because.
Speaker 1: This is his agenda.
Speaker 10: This is his view of the way in which America's economy can grow into the future and the way in which he can bring manufacturing back into the United States. Because that's what, as you point out, this was about ordinary people saying, we do actually want the jobs here, we do want to have the energy here, we do want to have the security here. So these are the things that people ultimately voted for in this election campaign, which is the reason why he's also won the popular vote in this campaign.
Speaker 1: Well, and also, you know, don't forget and by that, I'm saying to people paying attention because obviously Ross knows this stuff sort of inside and out, and it's why we love him, why you gotta watch your show each and every each and every day. Which is Trump made a promise during the campaign that if you're a company who's currently making something overseas and you brought your business back to America, you would pay a twelve percent company tax. Like this is dramatically lower than even the lower company taxes that he had promised. But can we get back to bitcoin for a second, because for people that are watching who have heard of bitcoin, it's obviously this alternative currency in the same way that you know, we decided paper had value or gold had value. So what role would bitcoin if in the best case scenario for those that want to back it in, what role would it play in an economy? Would you be able to buy a movie ticket with it? Would you be able to buy a car with it? Would it become in the same way you can and over fifty pieces of silver you can hand over x you know, bits of coin.
Speaker 10: Look, I've got a sense it doesn't even do that in the future. I've got a sense that, Look, we know the cash is disappearing anyway. It's all about your card and your phone. That's the way people pay. And that's a form of cryptocurrency if you like the way in which it's used today. But the reality is it's a store of value, just like gold is a store of value. But he's a backer of bitcoin. So the reality is that it's going to grow. But there's one other little part about this is to be able to create new bitcoins, new cryptocurrencies.
Speaker 1: Guess what you need.
Speaker 10: You need big data banks. You need these giant data centers to be able to create that. So you need energy. Guess what sort of energy you need in the United States and around the world.
Speaker 1: You need nuclear energy.
Speaker 10: Donald Trump will bring plenty of that back in because this is about making America not just great but competitive. Now you talked about that thirteen percent, twelve thirteen percent tax rate for companies bringing businesses back on shore. We'll guess what. That is much cheaper than the thirty percent tax that Australian companies pay.
Speaker 1: So what's the answer to that.
Speaker 10: A whole bunch of companies that are multinationals will go. Where are we going to make more money in Australia where the labor laws are so much tougher, in Australia where the actual laws on the environment are much tougher, Or are we going to make.
Speaker 1: That money in America?
Speaker 10: It doesn't matter whether they're making bricks or whether they're making steel, or whether they're trying to explore for gas. I mean, really the gas explorers in Australia that giant gas companies don't get a look in in Canberra right now. So guess what when they tune up in Mexico or in the United States, they get treated, they get faded, and they get welcomed for their investment. And that perhaps is a lesson for Australia and its politics into the future.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. The logic about a company paying less tax is not about tax avoidance. It's about, as you say, the money that they end up making is that they end up making it via the employment that is created. Thank you, Ross, I really do appreciate it. Now. Let's step away from the United States for a second. Meghan Kelly in a moment of two times and I'm telling you, this is a cracker of a chat. This is probably the best one we've ever had. And you know how much fun I have talking to her. Ray Hadley. Ray Hadley is a Hall of fame broadcaster. Ray Hadley has a voice that when I was dreaming of doing this for a job, that I was listening to on the car radio, on the clock radio. He's a man who was able to live his dream of becoming a working class kid, then becoming the horse racing caller, then the rugby league caller, then the filly in host for John Laws, and then a stunning host in his own right, where his entire career at TUI and TGB is one where he has won survey after survey after survey, an unbroken run run for the best part of twenty years. I've had the chance to talk to him about a big decision today and that is to reflect upon his decision to retire from the five day a week show at two GB, and it was a privileged to talk to him just moments.
Speaker 5: Ago that when you make the the announcement that two hours later and think, oh jeez, I shouldn't have said that. I want to stay, but there was a lot of forethought went into it, a lot of discussion with our CEO, Tom Maline about where I'd beheaded and what I wanted to do. Two years left in the contract, so I would obviously want to one or a contract. But I explained to Tom in Paris during the Olympics and then again more recently, that I thought I was running out of steam, that the best time for me to go would be now on December thirteen, because then he'd have a chance to get someone to replace me out of the Christmas break and they could start afresh with a brand new survey in twenty twenty five. And I feel really comfortable. I've had a very busy day, as you would imagine. I promised my dear friend John Tap I do his five hundred podcast, So Tappy and I started reminiscing. The podcast was basically about forty minutes. We went, I met an hour and seventeen. Apparently I don't know if they'll all make it to the cutting room floor, but so I've done that, and I've had a bit of fun with a good old mate in John Tapp, and then I'm here to be with another mate in you. So I'm happy to be here and happy to accept your congratulations and accept the fact that I'm an Admira abuse. You know, when I tell people today I was going on your program, I get all these text messages from listeners on their Gold Coast saying, I can't wait to see Paul.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see you and Paul.
Speaker 5: So to Margie and John on the Gold Coast, I'm here as promised.
Speaker 1: God love you, God love you and always. Certainly in terms of the people that are watching us and listening to you, there's quite a lot of crossover. So thank you to the people who have supported me, who have supported you for such a long time. And let's let's go back to the days where you dreamt of working on the radio and to be told that you'd have a Hall of Fame career. You'd never believe it at the start. You'd go, jeez, I hope I get a crack. I hope I can do a year. I hope I can do five. If you could go back and say to the young kid who dreamt of doing it, what's it like to have been able delivered dream a decade after decade?
Speaker 2: Surreal?
Speaker 5: I was an auctioneer, a young auctioneer for a pastoral company called pittsund and Battery.
Speaker 2: Wanted to be a race caller. That's all I wanted to do.
Speaker 5: I want to be a race caller, so I chased that dream in my early twenties.
Speaker 2: In the end, the dream was almost a nightmare.
Speaker 5: I turned a cab because I couldn't feed myself, and then one day I got a job at Appen Dogs, just southwest of Sydney, fifteen races every Saturday afternoon for thirty seven dollars fifty. I had a job for three hundred a week before that, so I lost about two hundred and seventy in the bargain. And then I kept driving the cab and kept calling the dogs. I end up doing Naura and Bully and Appen And then finally I picked up a bloke called Mark Collier one night on a Tuesday night from two Ui, Miller McLaren took him to North Ride and in the space of about a forty minute cab ride, I convinced him that he should give me some sort of opportunity at two Yui. I remember what he said to me, poor he said. On the way there, he said are you at Yuni? No, mate, Now I'm a race caller. He said, you're a race caller driving a cab on Tuesday night. I take it not a very good race caller, and it was hard to argue with that.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 5: He gave me a job as a He gave me a job as a traffic reporter, and I worked for the great Garrio Callahan for a couple of years. Then I graduated a sport as an offsided there's Hoisted, a legendary race caller along with John Tap who's.
Speaker 2: Remained a mate ever since.
Speaker 5: And then football at eighty seven, and the rest, as you say, is history. Talk back at ninety two, and then my own gig in two thousand and two, all those years ago at two GB.
Speaker 1: When you were announcing it today, a particular focus was about how your life has changed, certainly specifically in the last ten years, where you've got all these beautiful grandkids, you've got this beautiful wife, and you've got a different life than where you were, and you could really tell that you want to hang out with these people, you want to be able to give their all of you, because you know to do what you do is a twenty four to seven gig and what does it feel like now to be turning to twenty four to seven pop up?
Speaker 2: Well, it's great.
Speaker 5: I'm going to do something in twenty twenty five and I are quite what yet, but I won't I won't be on radio, but yeah, it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Look you start at halt us three. I'm not winging.
Speaker 5: I got really well paid for staying at ut us three. I'm not windy about it. And then you go flat strap all day. You get the work at half pas four and you knock off at twelve, and then my.
Speaker 2: Children say, what are you whining about?
Speaker 5: You do fifteen hours a week and we have a laugh about that, and then there are other things you do through the course of the day and the night, and you start all over again and go through it. I've got a very supportive wife in Saphie. She's just a champion, and she's worked with me for a ten years and we've been married for almost four years now, and she's turned my life around. Which is the same time that I started having grandchildren. Neighbors turning six and no he's turning six next year, and then the other five little grand kids down to little Miller who's the newest edition. I've had one speed and that's full steam ahead, and I don't want to get to the stage beyond this where I can't go full steam ahead and then someone taps me on the shoulder and says, oh, fella, it's time for you to go out the past yere. So I've gone out having one hundred and sixty surveys and hopefully it won sixty one next Thursday. I'm comfortable with it. No one's tapped me on the shoulder. I basically nego shaded my way out of a contract for two years, and there's noncompete clauses in that, which is obvious because I can't go and work somewhere else on radio, and I wouldn't want it because two GB's been myham for twenty four years. But I've gone out on my terms, and my terms are that I've worked at a great place.
Speaker 2: It's still a great place.
Speaker 5: There are great broadcasters there, There are great people running the place, and I wish them the very best of luck.
Speaker 2: But they're going to be doing it without me in the future, which they understand.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see what's next. I can't wait for you to come and have a chat to us at any point you'd like to, we'll send a camera to you wherever you happen to be. But congratulations, mate, what a phenomenal radio career. Hall of fame man, can you believe it? Congratulations, Thank you to everything you've done for me privately, professionally, personally as well. Mate. I love your congratulations.
Speaker 5: Well, I love you, and I'll give you a go play the guarantee. Whatever I do, I'll always be available to talk on this program because it, of course sets the agenda in many areas. And I love the fact that you're a bit mad, and that's one of your more dearing qualities. You've always been a bit mad. In fact that they're in stage is Paul, You've been the only one in the media madder than me, which really is I'm really appreciative.
Speaker 1: There's about eight cut snakes running around in this brain each.
Speaker 2: And every day. Take came good on you, mate, Thanks very mate.
Speaker 1: Congratulations.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 1: The great Megan Kelly joins us right after the break. I'm telling you, she is on fire. She's going to give it to the media. She's going to give it to Kamala. You're gonna love every second of these don't go anyway. It's the lady that we had been talking to for years now in anticipation of this election result, our wonderful friend, Megan Kelly, Megan, can you believe it? It happened?
Speaker 4: I know, God bless him, God did bless him. Paul.
Speaker 3: I mean, there are a lot of people here who really feel like it was divine right order that he was saved at the Butler rally because he had something important to do, and that everything since then has been Trump fulfilling his destiny to retake this very important role and change the world, starting with our country.
Speaker 4: There's so much he can do on day one.
Speaker 3: It's actual like he will be saving lives on day one of his presidency just by shoring up the border with a stroke of his pen. Joe Biden undid it with a stroke of his and Trump can reassure us of our safety all along the side than border on day one of his presidency.
Speaker 4: It was his main issue that he ran on.
Speaker 3: I have zero doubt that he will do it, and for that reason today I am celebrating. I think literally this was a life saving election. Donald Trump was made for this fight, and now he will fulfill his ultimate destiny in these next four years, and then hopefully be able to somehow ride off into this suset and enjoy a relaxing retirement, even though that doesn't sound like Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Now, I want to go back a couple of days before the election, because you were at a rally and you gave a phenomenal speech. I want people to be able to say a little bit of it. First.
Speaker 3: I really enjoy this feeling of proving Mark Cuban wrong.
Speaker 13: And so here I am at a Trump rally, a strong, intelligent woman to prove Mark Cuban wrong again.
Speaker 1: Now, forget RFKJ, forget the MSJ. That's the moment where he won this election. You did it.
Speaker 3: Definitely not no Trump got himself there. But I'll tell you I was happy to do it, Paul, because you know it was like I've been so distressed over the gas lighting of the American people and of American women, the core issues that I know we care about. I mean, the Democrats define us entirely by our wounds and our ability to kill our onborn children. That is all they think we care about. And I am a woman, I'm a mom, I'm a wife, and I know that my own set of desires and hopes and my concerns for the world revolve around far more than the right to get an abortion if I or someone I know once one.
Speaker 4: So it was burning, It was burning me.
Speaker 3: I wanted to go out there and say what I know all of my friends actually care about what I actually care about, and it's not entirely defined at all by abortion rights, which, by the ways we've discussed, is a state's right issue. It is not a federal issue. That's all been one big headfake. So it was cathartic to stand up there and talk about the actual issues that are affecting women outside of that one, which has already been adjudicated, and to the extent it hasn't been. It's a matter of state and local elections, not the federal one. There are a lot of things the US president can do to keep women safe. Anything revolving around abortion is not on the list. He doesn't have the power, and I'm sure the left is very happy to admit that now that Donald Trump has actually won, I.
Speaker 1: Reckon one of the most fascinating things about the election is that in deep red parts that voted for Trump by ten twenty points. They also voted to legalize and protect abortion. Isn't that the whole idea of this country that states have different laws, different systems, but they can also wal can't you come at the same.
Speaker 3: Time, absolutely right, same way. You go to certain states in the Union, and you'll see guys carrying very large guns that are air fifteen's because it's open carry and they're allowed to just walk around having the guns. That can be very jarring to people visiting from other countries or blue blue states like New York, where you would never see that. That's fine, it's cultural. Each state has its own particular culture and personality.
Speaker 4: And value set. And we knew that two.
Speaker 3: Hundred and fifty years ago when the country was coming together, and it was a source of negotiations saying we don't want.
Speaker 4: To be homogeneous.
Speaker 3: We want to be one union that works together on some common goals, but.
Speaker 4: No one wants to give up their.
Speaker 3: Individual personalities or value sets. Only in today's regime are we now suddenly told we must everyone must feel as the Democrats do when it comes to the abortion issue. So now we are settling back down into what used to be stasis, where each state is allowed to be its own independent laboratory on laws and values and so on, as long as they do conflict with the ultimate laws, which are our Constitution and the Supreme Court set and dabbs that's not regulated by the Constitution. States do your thing. So now we're back where we ought to be. Second point. All the past six months or more a year, the Democrats have been talking about how Kamala needs to be president because she needs to at the federal level write a national abortion law. Congress writes it and she'll sign it, restoring the row regime in all fifty states, and all along, I have been saying, this is such a head fake, it's nonsense, because Congress doesn't have that power. Congress can only legislate certain things if it has the power written into it by the Constitution, like the commerce clause or the taxing power. If it doesn't fall within one of enumerated powers, it can't regulate it, and that includes abortion. It doesn't have the power to regulate abortion at the national level. It's tried in the past. Some of those laws stood because they weren't challenged, arguing Congress didn't have the power to do it. But trust me, if if Trump ever tried to sign an abortion band, it would be and the Supreme Court would say he doesn't have to do it. My point is simply she was running around saying we should do it, we should legislate it, and we should get rid of minority rates in the Senate with a filibuster. Get rid of the filibuster so that there's no more minority rights. We can get lost through with only fifty one votes instead of the necessary sixty on things like this. And now that she's lost, will she admit that that was a terrible idea? Now that she's in the minority in the Senate her party, you think they're going to maintain that same position that it can be regulated on a national level, that the good idea is to get rid of minority rates in the Senate, to jam this down the throats of the American people, writ large.
Speaker 4: Will you watch the one to eighty. It's going to.
Speaker 2: Go like that now.
Speaker 1: I O. Harris of course officially conceded just a few hours ago. But I think the true insight into her character was that, despite being the fighter and the person who was there for joy on election night, she left the tens of thousands of people who had desperately hoped they were going to watch some history who had broken hearts. But she just lift them by the side of the road.
Speaker 3: She didn't even have the stones to go out there and face the people who supposedly love her and say.
Speaker 4: We're going to wait until tomorrow.
Speaker 3: There's still more accounting to be done, and out of respect for the voters in those states, I'm going to hold off on my message. But I love you, I thank you for your tireless work on my behalf and to be continued. It would not have taken anything more than that. But this woman, this I'm speaking, I'm speaking empowered woman sent a male staffer out there nobody even knew to tell them she wasn't coming. She was cowering in the back, just like Kamala's been doing. She's been cowering and she's been cackling. And what she hasn't been doing is actually standing up and fighting for America's working class. And last night they had the final say on her, saying we're done. We don't believe in you anymore, Black, white, Hispanic. It was the working class that put Trump over the top, because he does speak to them, and he speaks for them, and Kamala Harris eventually spoke today and hopefully now we'll be leaving the national stage very soon.
Speaker 1: I love Meghan, we love talking to her. Show of course on YouTube, and more highlights of our conversation is on YouTube. And by the way, can you believe that our editorial from last night more than five million people around the world have watched it and counting after the break A man who knows how Trump works, about how Trump puts together a government and what happens to the Democrats from here, they are scratching their eyes out, and I loved it. After this extraordinary week, in this extraordinary time, in this extraordinary place, I'm so pleased that I've got a little time here to talk to Mick Mulvaaney, of course, the former chief of staff to Donald Trump. And we should never take for granted our proximity to mix and mix institutional knowledge, and we appreciate it, We appreciate the insight, and for little old Australia, it means an awful lot to have the insight that you've given us. So I want to ask a couple of questions obviously about Trump and the administration all the rest of it, but I also just want to talk about what it's like to come into office now. Obviously there's a run up between now and January. But then there's the moment when after midday you walk into the office and you are running the government. How does the president, even one who's been there before, manage the moment from theoretically running the country to actually running them.
Speaker 12: So it's a fascinating question from a historical perspective, because Donald Trump is getting ready, is doing something today that no living human being has ever done, which is a former president being again, which might make him the only person ever truly qualified for the job. Because the only way you can learn how to be president is to be the president.
Speaker 11: The job has started already. The job started.
Speaker 12: The I lose track of the day as it happens this week, But Wednesday morning, the next administration started, and there are people already working sixteen hours a day. There's buildings throughout this entire city now filling up with people working on the transition to new government.
Speaker 1: I'm not making that up.
Speaker 12: You could drive down the street here and there's a building right down there that is about six floors of now Trump transition staff working on hiring four thousand people to help the next administration run the government.
Speaker 11: So it is a full time job from day one.
Speaker 12: Yes, the inauguration doesn't happen until January twentieth, but the next administration has actually started already.
Speaker 1: And the reason I asked that question is because people are going to say stories about or Trump trying to be a shadow president while Biden's the real president. This is what they all do, right talking to World Ladist, they are all basically letting the existing president have the power to be able to respond to a national security emergency. But effectively, if you're a CEO or a prime minister or a president of somewhere else, you're taken to the new goutte up the older you are.
Speaker 12: And I think it's a uniquely American thing, at least with most of the Western style democracies. I think you do it the same way the Brits do, which is in the day after the election, your prime minister changes. This overlap period we call it the lame duck, is a truly I think it's a unique American creation.
Speaker 11: It's fascinating to watch.
Speaker 12: By the way, in addition to what you've just described, which is sort of having two presidents at the same time, not officially obviously, but it's sort of a de facto dual presidency.
Speaker 11: The building behind us is coming back next week.
Speaker 12: Yes, and all of the folks who just lost their jobs there weren't many of them, but they still have a job voting until January twenty.
Speaker 11: So the old Congress will come back.
Speaker 12: Next week in this building. They'll be voting on things of.
Speaker 1: Gravity.
Speaker 11: They'll be voting on funding the government.
Speaker 12: Lot of giant legislative proposals will be dealt with between now and January. So you're a new member of Congress and you can't even get in the building yet. I've been in that shoe as well, so that this overlap period is fascinating to see. It's a good time I think for foreign governments to reach out to the Trump team now again, they don't really have to do that as much this time because they know Trump. I mean alber Easy doesn't because he wasn't Prime Minister when Trump was was was president the first time. But there's the institutional knowledge is there. The government organizations in Australia know the government organizations here and they transition I think between the two is going to be very simple.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the brass text that the existing Prime minister said that Trump scared the ass out of him. Yes, the ambassador has previously said pretty nasty things and literally today has deleted tweets that were critical of that always works. So how does Trump view Australia if those are the faces of our country?
Speaker 12: I get this question a lot, and people are always stunned by my answer the same way you and I would. I mean, if I was doing this interview and I walking up the steps and I've seen that, Oh, Paul just tweeted out that I was a complete so and so and so and so.
Speaker 11: Do you think it might impact this dynamic diress?
Speaker 1: It would?
Speaker 11: Now that's that's That's one side of the argument.
Speaker 12: The other argument is is like, as long as we've got a decent relationship, like.
Speaker 11: I said, Paul, what the hell is this exactly?
Speaker 1: And you can work through it.
Speaker 11: I think that's that's how I describe it to people. Is it going to be an issue?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 11: When is it not going to be an issue when it gets fixed? Because that's what people do.
Speaker 12: Nothing makes you a different kind of human being when you win an election, and that includes the election for president. So Donald Trump sitting in his office right now in New York. I guess he's in Marlago. Is a person and he's going to wonder why alber Easy said these things about him. He probably knows why, but he's going to say, Okay, how do we work through this? Now it's going to be in alban Ezi's court to start. It's not like Donald Trump is going to call him and say, Albanezi, we'd like to apologize.
Speaker 11: So I'm a little surprised.
Speaker 12: As someone who does follow us Australian relations very closely. I'm still good friends with Joe Hockey, as you know, I'm a little disappointed that Albaneze hasn't reached out yet. If I was advising him, if I was in his government.
Speaker 11: I said, look, pick up the phone.
Speaker 1: He's going to call.
Speaker 12: You can't be to the point where we just hope it's going to go away without doing anything.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 1: And also we're sort of saying now again some of the side reporting that you know, they're taking note of who's ringing versus who was expecial run and guess what, when you've won, don't expect to call you're ringing him? Right, That's the way it works. All, I've got just a couple of seconds left. Literally, what are you most hopeful about about that first hundred.
Speaker 11: Days that they hit the ground running.
Speaker 12: The biggest impediment to the first term was that there was a learning curve because Trump didn't expect to win. He hadn't done the work necessary during this lame duck period, in fact, before the election in twenty sixteen. I'm excited to see what happens once he's got a team in place that's ready to go today and then again on January twenty.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. Thank you, mix really appreciate it. Look forward to talking to you in the future. This has been an extraordinary week. This has been a real personal highlight, rational highlight as well. We have seen history. It has been a joy to share it with you. It is the privilege of a lifetime to watch this history happen before I very ownized the forty fifth president has returned as the forty seventh president of the United States.
Speaker 14: We made history for a reason tonight, and the reason is going to be just that we overcame obstacles that nobody thought possible, and it's now clear that we've achieved the most incredible political there Look what happened.
Speaker 1: This is crazy.
Speaker 14: I want to thank the American people for the extraordinary honor of being elected your forty seventh president.
Speaker 11: And you're forty fifth president.
Speaker 14: This is a magnificent victory for the American people that will allowow us to maybe America green again.
Speaker 1: Extraordinary, isn't it? It really is. Again, Thank you to everyone who has been watching, and thank you to all the people that have helped put it together, the teams that have worked with us here and at home. It's been full on, but it has been amazing. Again. Just think about think about where we were in July when there was a chance that this much difference was the difference between life and death. Think about now where we are in November, where he's about to become the leader of the free world again. It is an extraordinary story and we've got to see it. You saw it in real time. We will remember it for the rest of our lives. Thank you for the privilege of your company. I'm off to Vegas see in a few days.