Speaker 1: Mister Fargo has had to pick stud Here's the old flight, here's past them straight through. I like the storm just but I do worry about a fifteen minute period. If there's a lapse, they'll get punished.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a very special edition of the Code Sports NRL Show. Dave Rickier with me is the red Man, Brent Reed and Michael carriyanas Let's rip into it. Fellas the Rugby League's Knight of Knights, the gala of end of the year, the Dally M Awards has been run and won and Rooster's captain and fullback James Tedesco he is a worthy winner.
Speaker 3: He went up by the length of us straight and it.
Speaker 2: Was it was pretty difficult to manage suspense, which is what we normally get with the Dalms, because he had had this wrapped up for a long time. Thought Luke Metcalf did a good job. Fellows, had he stayed injury free would have been in the fight. But ultimately Tedesco wins the twin twenty five Dalliam Award.
Speaker 3: I think he's a worthy recipient.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don' think it was ever a doubt. Was the day I think we all thought Teddy was going to win. A great year. He's had obviously big week for him. He pulled out of the Kangaroo to as well this week, so it would have been laid down Mosia to go on that Ashes tour, Teddy split it out teeth back in Late Night. But he was is worthy winner. Outstanding year for him, brilliant year. Yeah, so he's yeah, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hard to argue.
Speaker 4: You love him, You've loved him having the year.
Speaker 3: He's a freak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most consistent fullback of the season, the most consistent player of the season deserves the award. Joins the rare class to win it twice now and you know at different stages of his career is what makes it even more remarkable. But great season in terms of yeah, I thought, look mech I'll surprise how high look Metcalf actually finished. I think he played up around seventeen was probably the last time he played before he here after that May, and it would have been that would have been neck and no guarantee he would have won the award, but it would have been close. But yeah, it was just.
Speaker 4: A significant loss. He was for the Warriors, doesn't it that game they were they were basically legless and directionless ones.
Speaker 1: It's a misar net going too. Yeah, you can't understand why they sort of fizzled out back the.
Speaker 2: An nrl W player tam Ga Upton was named the worthy award winner as far as the NRLW is concerned, and terrific player, terrific player.
Speaker 3: It was a great night.
Speaker 2: However, there's a little tip around fellows that we could see a split in the ceremony.
Speaker 3: Ibout than the contade next next.
Speaker 4: I'm not aware of this, but the AFL split it, don't they but they have seen as.
Speaker 2: Far as nrl W having their own awards night and the NRL having their own.
Speaker 4: The AFL is a bit different because there's seasons are separated as well, whilst our season's run together. But I think that'd be a good idea to separate them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, it'd be good because it does drag out a little bit, right. I think it's a bit it's a bit awkward for the players that both players any on stage for so long after the Team of the Year and then they go through the results of who's going to claim that the top gong. So I think ideally it'd be great to split it he's going to spend more time celebrating the highlights of both seasons then instead of sort of glossing over, and it'll be a shorter night. So yeah, I'd be a fan of it.
Speaker 4: Can I raise a concern I've come out of the ceremony with day.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: So Harry Grant and Joey Tarpenhay were ineligible for awards because he's got suspended for two weeks, get two weeks for longer. He ruled out, ruled out of eligibility for awards Captain of the Year. I think for those look, I'm happy with you say you cannot win the overall individual award if he gets suspended for two weeks or more, but I think it should be eligible to win other awards, such as Captain of the Year. Well, Joey tapers. For me, it was probably the captain of the year.
Speaker 2: Well if you if Ricky shewit's the coach of the year for the Camber Raiders, you would think the leader of that team, captain Joe Tarpani would be would be a worthy recipient. My only cast to that is I don't agree with you, read man, because you can't have you can't have one rule over here where they're ineligible due to suspension, and over here you are eligible to win the award.
Speaker 3: And I think it has.
Speaker 4: To be rules Rugby League make up rules on the run day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look again, I would have he I think you should have been Captain of the Year. You agree with me, But suspension.
Speaker 4: Costing mixed deciding vote. I'm torn fence.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I sort of agree that I agree on both points that you're making.
Speaker 4: My God, I don't have a distinctive tiebreaker.
Speaker 1: I would have given a joey You.
Speaker 4: Agree with me? Good man?
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: This is a huge eighty minutes coming from Broncos fullback Bryce Walsh for.
Speaker 3: More reasons than one.
Speaker 2: Firstly being to win this premiership with the Brisbane Broncos against the Storm would be absolutely huge. But secondly, suddenly there's an Australian jersey legitimately up for grabs for Ruce Walston go and grab following the decision by James Tedsco to make himself.
Speaker 4: It's on the plane day. He's already on the plane there is. He just needs to get through this weekend and not get injured.
Speaker 3: So how many fullbacks are you?
Speaker 4: I think they'll take two fullbacks, but I think they're going to take Teddy and Reese. I think now they'll probably take Reese and Dylan Edwards.
Speaker 3: You thought Dylan Edward's going to miss out?
Speaker 4: He was gone, he was gone, sky wow, Yeah gone? And restarts, Well, that's a bit I'm not sure about. Well, I imagine was going on the plane. Imagine restarts. Yeah, yeah, that's the male that.
Speaker 1: I've got no issue with that start. I would have started Teddy obviously, Yeah, but yeah, I'll be starting.
Speaker 4: He could light up the Ashes series Wolf. You can imagine the English supporters with Reese the way he is and the personality the way Mark.
Speaker 1: No longer need to say.
Speaker 4: He could become like a cult figure over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Huge, He could go global, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, super League style yes yeah.
Speaker 4: Club who would you pick a fullback game?
Speaker 2: I'm surprised you so adamant about Dylan Edwards missing out, and I appreciate he hasn't had his best season by his standards, but he's an elite fullback who has been the champion fullback for a number of seasons now.
Speaker 3: And you just ruled him out so quickly.
Speaker 4: I think Teddy's withdrawal has saved him yeah, I don't. I don't think he would have made the fine Dave. Yeah, just because his form has been a bit off.
Speaker 1: And the other guys have been That's the other point, right, It's not like you know, other fullbacks were struggling. Teddy's arguably in career best form despite his age, and then you have Reese Walsh, who's just the pennies dropped for him.
Speaker 4: Kenvy's got a relationship with Reese from when he was the Broncos with him.
Speaker 3: So that's a foot in the door.
Speaker 4: That's foot in the door.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing I will say is, and there's no way in the world I expect this to happen, But it's a game of rugby league and it can happen.
Speaker 3: If Reese doesn't play very well in the GF, does that hurt him?
Speaker 1: It does, But I still think he's on the plane, which other fallback would Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well unless Bryan Papanhouz maybe plays out of his I don't think.
Speaker 3: He's well no, well, then we will get the R three sixty debate in a moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think Reese has done and dusted. I think they sat down. You were there with me, Dave when Peter Landy's announced that Teddy had been had withdrawn from the twur the other day and Peter acknowledged they basically picked day. They penciled in the twenty three man squad on Sunday Peter and the national selectors. So you know, Ree, my understanding Reese was in that squad yep. So he would have to do something pretty direct. He would have to play. In fact, he can't even play bad enough to fall out of that. Wow, the only injury rules Reese Walsh out and Mate, I'm so looking for I wish I almost I'm not going obviously, but I would love to be at Wembley if Reese Walsh is starting the number one jersey, to see him run out for Australia, I think it would be something specially well.
Speaker 2: This is a sold out Grand Fine, sold out several days in advance at a course stadium and Interstate Grand Final. As far as Sydney fans are concerned, between the Broncos and Storm, the two form teams have made their way to the decider. It should be an absolute beauty. Interesting styles. We've got the Melbourne Storm and their ability just to lock the game down, but also then the exciting and never say die. Brilliance of the Brisbane Broncos. How do you see this unfolding fellaws.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be an interesting battle because I think for the Storm they're big guns fired for the first time in a while all together. But they've had these lapses the Storm throughout games, and if they have any of those periods of lapses, Brisbon will hurt them because they got strike everywhere and they don't fear Brismon, don't have this fear factor about them. They can chase points down.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: The only thing that if Brisbane do get in front, I don't want them to be conservative going to their shell. They need to keep playing that attacking brand of forty. But I like the Storm just but I do worry about it fifteen minute period. If there's a laps, they will get punished.
Speaker 2: I talk about form lines all the time, and you think about the Melbourne Storm.
Speaker 3: They've come through the Bulldogs and then the Sharks.
Speaker 2: And in both games you would argue that both Bulldogs and Sharks don't have the X factor yeah and brilliance that the Broncos do. And so therefore to your point, and both games, the Storm needed to fight to win.
Speaker 1: You talk about the X factor one hundred percent right. You look at and who they beat on the way camera have a massive X factor Kyle Weeks and obviously Ethan strange in a player. But you know they've got some players that turn a game like that Penrith. We know the spark they have across the field. So they've beaten teams that have that X factor. But yeah, at the moment, Brisbane have more than anyone.
Speaker 4: We know the Broncos the first of the game in eighty eight.
Speaker 1: How many times we have to hear that you're a Queensland there you go from Brisbane.
Speaker 4: What worries me is that Melbourne spine. Their record when all four of those guys play together is I think they've lost one. They plug played together maybe eight nine times. Is here lost once? That's what worries me, because that spine is the best spine in the game. They're all in good touch. Cap months has been unbelievable in the latter stage of the season. Harry has been crazy since origin. Jerome Hughes looked like there was nothing wrong with him last week. Perhaps is the one bloke who's been a bit down on form, but I thought he was great, great last week as well. So that's my concern is the broncos man that that spine is just so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm tipping the storm, but I'm basing it on everything you said. Yes, the spine, but it comes down of the pack. And if Stefano you took him on, who can have a game like he did against Cronulla, that that's what allowed the Melbourne Storm spine to go.
Speaker 4: Well, he's got up well after his commentation.
Speaker 1: I've tipp him for the Clive Churchill really have the final Yeah, money can chat, but no, that's the key.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, Kronalla's pack were brought down and then their helves didn't look as good.
Speaker 3: I told you impending doom. It was spot on the storm packs led Stefano.
Speaker 2: Now this is up against pain half who he says, and we didn't say pains stuck up, but he certainly said.
Speaker 3: He things to Broo.
Speaker 4: That was named of pain, That's what I said. But yeah, that's a huge clash, right because pain is the unstoppable. It's the old unstoppable.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 4: The unstoppable force and movable movable object coming up against each other, and pain is the like the what's the watermark or whatever front row is now game at the telling the story. Yeah, but Stephan has been unbelievable since origin, so good and if he can hold his own and they could put the clamps on pain halfs that Melbourne spine, as I said, it's just so good, so good, and they've got they got so many game breakers. Brisbane had got rece Right and potentially Ezra Stags Stags, but in the spine, Melbourne had got just four players who can win the game of their own. Basically, Yeah, that's the worry.
Speaker 3: Anythink West Tigers fans watch watching Stefano and would hurt. It would leave him, It would hurt.
Speaker 4: There's a few former West Tigers there. Perhaps Harry spent a year there.
Speaker 3: I hate Sean.
Speaker 4: He spent a year there. They wanted to keep him Sean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, funny story, Sean was the trade between Justin Ilen Yeah and Sean bo.
Speaker 4: Can I tell your funny Harry Grant's story about the West Tigers. I spoke to his dad the other day, Piggy Paul, Piggy Grant, and he was saying, when Harry obviously went to the West Tigers, that a year of Cam Smith's career twenty twenty, I think it was. And his dad said to him, mate, don't go back to Melbourne. You don't want to play in Cameron Smith's shadow. You're only the bloke who follows Cameron Smith. And Harry said, now I want to get back to me. So if we listen to his dad, ro Grant might be a West Tiger right now.
Speaker 3: Fighting doors.
Speaker 2: Yeah boys, NRL three sixty, as Peter Orlandi's calls it, obviously three sixty, the impact of it, and the strategy to drop this ingrand final week to rain.
Speaker 3: On the.
Speaker 4: This was always the drop they don't care about. I don't care about rugby league.
Speaker 2: I don't care, which is why they're targeting final. They're strategizing and to rain on the NFL's parade. We'll just wait till next week.
Speaker 1: Then I think the NRL Grand Final is irrelevant to what's going on with.
Speaker 3: Just wait till next week. Then who these guys they beat to their own drum?
Speaker 2: We don't ever know who they are, what money they got, what broadcasting that don't came about it?
Speaker 3: That don't right. How legit is it? What's happening?
Speaker 4: It's legit. It's happening. The story is coming out in England now about the financial backing they've got. Where it's come from. It's come from private investment companies. It's legit, man, I mean they're about to They're sent out formal, long form contracts for players to sign. There's a handful of NRL players who will sign them. It's not going to decimate the code. The worry is that six seven, eight, nine, ten guys going out this year or next year. Sorry, at the end of next year. Other players over here see what they earn, see see what they're doing, see it's maybe a success, and they want to follow that lead. That's the concern, particularly the time when our game is going to expand we need sixty more players for Perth and p ANDNG. We can't afford to be losing players to rugby union.
Speaker 3: Let's cut to the chase.
Speaker 2: Answer the questions fans one to know when are these players need to signed by?
Speaker 4: Well, they've a lot of them signed letters of letters of commitment, letters of intent to start the competition of October two next year.
Speaker 1: October two next year, okay, which doesn't include preseason. That's when the first game, first game.
Speaker 3: That's right, so zach Lomax, Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: If this is and zachlmax head is going there, there's no one in the world he can play for Paramatta next year.
Speaker 4: Well that's the decision for paramatter.
Speaker 3: Well you could use ultimate what could you're using for ten games and then let him go.
Speaker 1: Oh no, they wouldn't they, that's my point. But they could say we're not releasing you until the sure season.
Speaker 4: I'm told that this competition, our three sixty knows that in our real players a contract at October thirty one, and are happy to wait for them, let them have no preseason and just drop into the teams.
Speaker 3: When maybe it's around three or something.
Speaker 4: Yes, they're happy for that to happen apparently.
Speaker 1: But then if you're if you're a club and you've got a player in your books and you fall out of finals contention, you just release them, right.
Speaker 4: Because you get cat relief.
Speaker 1: You get cat relief. Sure, you go, well, I'm not paying you after round twenty seven if we're out of finals contention. That's a half months or one and a half months of pay that you save, and the player would have to four f that. So clubs will do that.
Speaker 4: Make the great example the other other side of it is a guy like Ryan Pappinez. If Ryan Papaouson goes Melbourne got a really tight cap, they've got to back up fullback so far long ago.
Speaker 3: It's a win for them.
Speaker 4: Maybe they go perhaps, if you're going to go, why don't you go? Now? Go to France. It's been six months playing rugby in France. Get yourself ready. It relieves them. I think he's on over nine hundred grand packs. Yeah, yeah, that's a lot of money off their cap.
Speaker 1: That's a bit different to Zach Max. Zach Lomx plays at paramatty you do, I think so next year.
Speaker 2: And waits until the determination of whether the Eels make the finals before it works out.
Speaker 3: When they release him, I think.
Speaker 1: So what you guys don't think you'll play at Paramatta next year?
Speaker 3: I would shed them. I would shed the money from my cap. But he's not.
Speaker 1: For him. What do you think he's on fifty he's a good way you're signing for him.
Speaker 4: I look, there's suggestions that him or people close to him have eyed off leave him straight away going to French rugby, a bit like the suggestion of Saiventh peraps and money. Then they can go to our three sixty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, potentially.
Speaker 4: But there's all hinges on paramount and whether they will let him go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sure, but they've Jason Roll said that they're aware of what's happening. Yeah, well, they've been aware for weeks and they would consider they'd look at it.
Speaker 2: We were talking to the Eels at the daly Ms last night. What's where do they sit with it? Are they just waiting?
Speaker 1: They're just waiting? Right. They've come out and said obviously that that's told them about it. They've spoken about it, but they haven't spoken any terms. There's been no official approach for a release. It's all been very informal because of the noise that's been generated over the past couple of weeks. So they're probably anticipating the conversation, but one hasn't happened yet.
Speaker 2: What do we anticipated around the NRL's position on this and all types of examples and suggestions being thrown around. The players will be blocked from returning to the NRL, that'll be blocked from representative football, et cetera.
Speaker 4: I could cop, I could cop the block from representative football. Cop the block said, yeah you did? Yeah, that to be careful, but it can't be in blokes for life. Yeah, I just think that's unrealistic. Go Loo, Ryan Papers and he's off contract. I can't stop and go were he's still a rugby union players all the time, look at Mark no One. You need to so players flip between the codes. But if a guy breaches his tries to break his contract, or if he's been shopped to rugby potentially when he's under contract, I think they should be repercussions.
Speaker 2: There was a caller on SCN that suggested that in the case of a Zach Lomax that he must if he was to go over for three sixty for one season, he can't play at an arrival in RL club until the contract of what he was on at Paramatta has expired.
Speaker 1: Well, that'd be terms paramatter's release, right I think did the Sharks try and do that with al tight Holmes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they may have here, you know, when he.
Speaker 1: Went to the NFL, I think they had a first rights or potentially.
Speaker 4: The PARA had the rights on Jared too, didn't they when he.
Speaker 1: Went to Yeah, so yeah, I think they would be part of the contract release. So well, you go, you can't play you can't play for another NROL eight.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you can't play with any other for another club till twenty nine unless we don't want you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the n ROLL has got a meeting with some of the senior club figures next next week to discuss potential sanctions for players and who go and agents who are involved in this scenario. So I think we'll know a bit more next week day. They want to get the Grand Final out of the way and then they'll form a hard and fast stance on it.
Speaker 1: If a players off contract, I don't have an issue with them playing representative football. So it's like Mark right, he's going to go play rugby, he gets picked for the Ashes. I don't have an issue with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah right.
Speaker 1: But if you're intimating that you want to break your contract, right, you shouldn't be playing well, he's.
Speaker 3: Outside the Grand Final.
Speaker 2: It's been a bit of news as far as cummings and goings at other clubs, and one of those is a significant one for South Sydney and it's Lewis Dodds.
Speaker 3: Finally, at this release, Mickey Yura been all over it.
Speaker 2: What's the situation with Lewis and how does it impact the Bunnies cap and availability in that captive maybe get spending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously it's been a just a weird season for Lewis Dodd right later, you know, seven first gay games and the end up playing for South Sydney. Started one game in his preferred spot at halfback, got hooked, so hasn't played a full game in that number seven Jersey out the door. They gave him permission to leave, so he'll go to Catalan's. So two years left on his contract. It's gone a three year deal originally worth around two million dollars, so South will have to contribute a significant amount at least next season, which will sit in their cap. So it doesn't give them a lot of space for next year, but it gives him a roster spot, so I don't think that clears the money for for Feeder clears.
Speaker 3: The spot depends how much the Titans are willing to tip in for feed and.
Speaker 1: I think David Wylie is the one that would need to go to accommodate David feed He's obviously signed for South for mainly for twenty twenty seven. If he fast tracked his exit, I think that would open up the door for David.
Speaker 3: I think that's likely, don't.
Speaker 1: You mainly don't have the cap space right right, So I've mainly got a few balls in the air. In terms of Locky Croker and his health concerns, if he gets medically retired or not because of concussions. They've got Josh a lawyer, but I'm not sure if that money is actually cleared. Yeah, in terms of his medical retirement, he won't play again. So if those things happen, that might free up davidfe to go to David Mahala to go to mainly Dave Feir to the South.
Speaker 2: Another interesting one is Lachlan Ilius has been in talks with the Goals Titans. Yeah, Goos Titans have been having discussions with Locke. The Dragons gave Ilius the opportunity to have a look around. He is contracted to the Dragon Dragons next season and this has it's risen probably over the last week or two.
Speaker 4: I'd love to see him go there.
Speaker 3: And I think it eventuates.
Speaker 4: It's a great fit for Lockie actually, because they need a half back big time and they've got enough talent where Jaden Campbell at six Primston and Brimston Centers that's a pretty damaging back line. Yeah, so I think it's a great move for Lot. I think he needs to get out with the Dragons. Yeah, that's pretty clear, right, I think we can all see that. So it's a good result for Lockie if it happens. I reckon good result for Josh Hannah your man.
Speaker 3: He's he's, He's.
Speaker 2: They like the fact that because Kieran Foran is moving out of the roster obviously through retirement, and the Titans like the fact that this is an experienced half. He's played Final Series and right through it to a prelim with South Sydney. He actually, you know, granted that's not NRL, but he did help lead the Dragons to.
Speaker 3: A grand final in New South Wales Cup. So it shows a player that still playing good enough footy.
Speaker 4: He needs someone to back him and believe in him. Yeah, that's what he needs.
Speaker 2: That's that's what I understand has impressed Ilias most that the Titans are saying, hey, well, we're edible.
Speaker 4: And falls would be great for him. Karen foran shout out for Kieren who won the Ken Steven Medal. Great great speech, great great man, caring for and Organs be great, he'd be great for lock ealing yep.
Speaker 3: And he will be involved with He'll be attaching roll yep coaching role.
Speaker 2: So with the Ilias and again I expect this to unfold and happen. It will open up a roster spot for the Dragons. And they want Philip Sami.
Speaker 1: They just all swapped.
Speaker 2: They potentially could do a swap and and alleviate some cap space on both behalf.
Speaker 1: Already.
Speaker 4: The Philip Sami they need.
Speaker 3: He's a decent player.
Speaker 4: He's a decent player, but he keeps They need to keep sign a decent players.
Speaker 1: They need some speed.
Speaker 4: They need a Markeye name, a big gun.
Speaker 1: Thanks Scoop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they realize that where are they where, who's that?
Speaker 3: And where are they going to? Don't you just say stuff without any depth.
Speaker 4: They don't find someone somewhere. Yeh, there's got to be someone someone.
Speaker 1: In any the marque for twenty six. Yeah's not gonna happen for it, it feel sudds Okay, I need someone, meant, someone that can about Camperrera won.
Speaker 3: The to the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's the situation for the Drags. To read his point, I think they've finished shopping. See what happens with the earliest situation. But as far as the Grand Final is concerned, your final tip, fellas, how do you see it?
Speaker 4: As I said Dave broadcast man, I went to the first game, broadcast by two.
Speaker 3: Two, Storm baits Storm by two. Enjoy your footy.