Speaker 1: She said, it's now never.
Speaker 2: I got fighting in my blood.
Speaker 3: I'm tiff. This is role with the punches and we're turning life's hardest hits into wins. Nobody wants to go to court, and don't My friends are test Art Family Lawyers. Know that they offer all forms of alternative dispute resolution. Their team of Melbourne family lawyers have extensive experience in all areas of family law to facto and same sex couples, custody and children, family violence and intervention orders, property settlements and financial agreements. Test Art is in your corner, so reach out to Mark and the team at www dot test Artfamilylawyers dot com dot AU.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I have no plan today. I just showed up talking about breakfast and concussions over brackins.
Speaker 3: Great. I love no plans.
Speaker 4: Are we live?
Speaker 3: I'm recording? Do you want to be live? Do you want to be live already?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know, I don't know if, I don't know if I'm ready to be live.
Speaker 3: The audience peak behind the curtain of what the hell happens before we hit the big red button every time. I'm just going to put this. This is the start this is your official introduction. Hey, Bobby, welcome here.
Speaker 1: Hi, how are you. I'm okay, I'm all right. God that introduction was like, I felt like I was channeling Andy Kaufman. Doesn't even know who Andy Kauffman is really so Andy Kaufman, he was just a brilliant comedian, but he didn't consider him a self comedian, consider himself an entertainer. He probably did one of the best Elvis impersonations ever. He was Elvis's face for Elvis impersonator. But he was on Saturday Night Live and he used to just did you ever hear of a sitcom in the United States called Taxi It?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I have heard of it.
Speaker 1: So the foreign guy Lotga was Andy Kaufman. I think Andy Kaufman was a genius. He used to just bomb on stage by doing the weirdest stuff, and some people consider himself indulgent. Other people considered him genius. I've fallen into that he was a genius category. Jim Carrey actually played Andy Kaufman in a movie, which I think it's very hard to capture Andy Kaufman. But if you're gonna like cast somebody to do that, Jim Carrey is definitely the cast.
Speaker 3: Who is your favorite comedians and why?
Speaker 1: Oh you know, it's so wow, it's so hard. I think let's start off with Eddie is Hard for his ability to create observational and historical narrative into this bumbling, but witty and deeply insightful presentation. I think Dave Chappelle for his incredibly deep social commentary and layers of sensitivity disguised as complete insensitivity, but you could tell that guy is a very deep thinker and feel or funny story with Dave Chappelle, my wife got into an argument with him in a comedy club one night over Nigerian geography. Yeah, I don't know, maybe a story for another day. I love Jim Carr for his Jimmy Carr for his delivery, his timing, and his ability to think on his feet. And I don't know if he really thinks on his feet like that or he's just established so many patterns from incredible preparation, so somebody could say something off the cuff, like when he invites the audience to heckle him and you can tell he's having a really great time and he's just brilliant and ruthless and hilarious. That could be thinking on your feet. I think what it more likely is is tens of thousands of hours of preparation. So he just has a pattern. There's just like barely anything you can say that he's not prepared for, even if he has no way to prepare for that exact heckle. So Michael McIntyre. Michael McIntyre for his one his physical comedy and his observational comedy is just amplified. It's hilarious and it's just it's light like he can make light of the simplest day to day thing. I just I love Michael McIntyre. He makes me happy listen to him. There's plenty of other people in that category, some of who I probably should not mention. I like from your Country, Jim Jefferies. I think he's an outright legend. I just love his delivery as well. So there's quite a few of them. What about you? Who are some of your favorite comedians and why.
Speaker 3: I love Jimmy Carr and I think I've talked about it before with you. I used to I couldn't stand him before, and I'd given him no chance what's over. But I couldn't stand because.
Speaker 1: He didn't pay his taxes. Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Love Ricky Gervais. I love, love, love Eliza Schlesinger. I think you say her last name like that. I saw her when she was out here in Australia. I've watched her endlessly online and that was such a brilliant show, such a brilliant show. But I feel like I've gotten I've gotten into comedy a lot more the last couple of years, and I feel comedy for me has shifted. And I don't know if it's just a me thing. It's just I listen differently or who I'm listening to or how I listen, or I don't know if it's because of my relationship with speaking and creating ideas and starting to drill down in that that I'm also seeing and learning patterns that align with comedy. And I don't know, something has really shifted for me. So it interests me how our relationship with our humor changes based on who we are, what we know, what we But we think it's just this simple, Oh someone's funny or they're not.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is it comedy that's changed or is it us that's changing? I mean, yeah, like I'm just becoming old. So I can't get the jokes because I'm not quick enough anymore. So I'll watch a comedy show like that was shit, and then three days later I'm just I can't stop laughing.
Speaker 3: But sometimes it's like, sometimes there's an element of absolute magic that that can't come from just the structure. It has to come from the hours and hours they put in on the ground, so that their ability to connect and create an energy with an audience meets the thing that comes out of their mouth and the timing and the thing. I think it's phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, that is why. And first of all, I cannot believe I did not mention Ricky Gervais for so many reasons. The man is just a genius, not just on stage but off stage. The things he's produced are just legendary. Life after Death was probably one of the most poignant and layered the best things. Oh the after life, I'm sorry, life after death, the after life anyway. See, this is this is why I don't get comedy. It's just my brain is just like it's just I don't sit there watching comedy.
Speaker 4: Yes, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was one of the best things I have ever seen in my life. And I've seen some really good stuff, So I so honorable mention definitely Ricky Gervais. But your point there is why you'll never catch me criticizing a comedian, Like there are some people I'm just like, Okay, I don't Stephen Wright. I think Stephen Wright, he's been around for a really long time. When it comes to dead pan, one line delivery, a lot of people have like imitated him, imitation some serious form of flattery. Some people think stalking is, but I don't think that's correct. But I I'll never criticize a comedian even if it's like, Okay, you know, just him or I just don't resonate with them. For me, But if somebody, if you're watching a Netflix or you're watching a YouTube show or they're on TV, you are looking at an unimaginable level of preparation, outright failure. They have completely died on stage epically so many times. A lot of them still do. So where my wife got into an argument with Dave Chappelle, which was mortifying for me because it's like I wasn't what was mortifying for hers. I was not on her side like Dave Chappelle's up on stage. I was like, do not embarrass me in front of Dave Chappelle. Right. So, this particular comedy club is where a lot of a lot of a listers would just rock up and they would test out new material. So they're coming, oh, can I get on stage? Or what do you GUNA say? No? Right, so, and they would try this material and so much of it is just horrible because they just wrote the joke like three days ago and they haven't practiced it. And it's like, you're watching this. It's like a year from now. This is going to have people in bits on their next special, but it's going.
Speaker 4: To be so much work that they.
Speaker 1: Put in, not just memorizing the jokes, but the timing, the delivery, the tweaking. Oh well that joke kind of worked, but it didn't work like this. Let me try a different. It's like what a lot of them are reading off of paper. They're like looking checking out their jokes are there. It's like wow. So I think to be a comedian, to be somewhat of a successful comedian, that's extremely admirable.
Speaker 3: And you have to get really okay with being disliked and being like you get criticized so much, so many people it blows my mind when I look in the comment section where people are just adamant to stacks on to a comedian and be like, they're not even funny. They're not even funny. It's like, dude, this person has millions of followers and makes millions of dollars because they're funny. But you, as one person who's obviously taken offense of some sort, I think that everyone cares what you think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do a five minute open makenate and then get back with your criticism and commentary. But that's when everything, especially with comedy. Bill Burr is another one who over the years, I've become a massive fan of massive fan of his comedy and just just the place where it's coming from. And I don't care they some people are going to resonate with that. Some people are gonna hate me for that, you know, like when you're saying, like you got to get used to everybody dislays you and just this vitriol and criticism, and it's like, yeah, it's horrid, and it wears on me sometimes to be fair, but for the most part, I just know I have to keep going in spite of how many people dislike me.
Speaker 3: So I can see have you seen Drew Lynch? Familiar with him? I love him, I follow him, and he's getting a huge following. And he I think that he first started his career back on something like America's Got Talent. He went on a talent show and he stutters. He had a really bad stutter at the time, and now he's overcome that, so he's brilliant on stage. But recently he put up a reel where he was about to go out for dinner with friends and he had this enormous attack that was the most vulnerable. I watched it probably three times and I sent it to people. It was the most vulnerable. Honest, this is happening, and I feel really embarrassed, and it's also kind of funny, and I just want to show you you and this is how I feel, and of goosebumps thinking about it. It was so brave. But I love I love comedians that can be really funny and then just really real.
Speaker 1: H I mean, I think to be a comedian, obviously you have to be extremely focused, you have to be extremely intelligent, but I think there's also a sensitivity there. I think there's a strong emotional intelligence and I'm not saying this is with all comedians obviously, but sometimes I think there's a lot of trials and internal pain that you're channeling through your comedy, and it's a way to kind of connect to other people, you know. And then and of course there's this, there's this like working out your stuff in front of an audience by giving something to them and getting some acceptance back from that audience. So I think that there's so many layers, like comedians are a special group of people for me personally, Oh god, what was I think Britain's got Britain's got talent? Like all those shows are amazing. I used to just oh, my wife, you's just watch episode after episode. I'm like, oh god, this is painful. But think about this for a second. How many you'll resonate with this? How many superbly talented people who are as gifted, hardworking, deserving as any household name would have been a nobody just because they did not have the vehicle, and then these shows put them on stage and it's like the world can see WHOA, this person's got something that's amazing, Like Britain got talent moves me and Simon Cowell I think I think Simon Cowell is a legend because you can tell as much as he does not have any patience to humor fools. On the other end of that, you can tell how someone who is deeply invested in hardworking and brings something real to an audience moves him emotionally. You can see it. You know, he's not like a warm and overtly fuzzy type of person. It's not like a walking Hallmark card. You can see like how it makes an impression on him. So I think, like so many people have been brought into the world that we don't even know about. I love those shows.
Speaker 3: I love Hannah Gadsby too. Have you seen her Hannah and Douglas. Have you seen her shows on Netflix?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, godspy really no, Tazzy too. She's a tazzy. Oh that's non binary the most But go and watch Hannah on Netflix. It is brilliant, confronting. It is this comedy show where they lead into this topic of trauma and shit and it just silences the audience. But yeah, bloody love that show and when and then their second one called Douglas. At the beginning, they describe exact all the components of the show and I love this right, it's really clever. They're very clever. What they're going to talk about, what we're going to go through, how they're going to make it land, all of the little bits and pieces, and then at the end, and that's exactly how it plays out, and it's just bloody clever. Like I think that I'm intrigued by how cleverly shows are put together and how much thought it's not just and how it's not always just humor. It's sometimes it's it's funny, you Like, I find myself laughing just because I'm like recognizing that they've done that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. It's genius. I mean, I haven't seen this particular performer. I haven't seen a lot of performers you're mentioning. It makes me feel like I don't watch Netflix enough.
Speaker 3: Well, and Ursula Calson hilarious. She's hilarious. I saw her at the comedy FESTIV want to see it recently. I didn't used to know any comedians except for what's his name? He's so funny. Cayle Baron. Tell me you know Cayle Baron. He's the best. No treasure, I don't know him. Oh god, I'm going to send yourself with him.
Speaker 1: I probably do. I've probably seen some of these people. I just don't know their names because I do watch a lot of comedy clips.
Speaker 3: You only did comedy once, didn't you. Did you do a stage like comedy just a few times?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a couple of open mic notes. Yeah, I remember you were having a go at me like a couple of podcasts ago. You were like, you could really be funny if you've made the decision and worked at it. It's like, okay, and I've been working at it, and like people will been telling me, whoever told you, that's definitely wrong. You're not getting any better at this, like you should. If you could do literally anything else, just I would try that, like maybe finger painting. So I'm enrolled in a finger painting class now, thank you.
Speaker 3: We've talked before about knowing when to give up and knowing when not to. I wonder what it's like for for comedians, given how many aspects come into landing or developing in a particular way. And then like, I just think that the psychology behind understanding at the psychology, the human behavior, the the interpersonal skills, the wit, the knowledge, the depth of I think love for humanity and curiosity, all of those things.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yes, so how.
Speaker 3: And then someone comes along Ago, no bro, not funny. And and then someone walks away from something that they probably on the cusp of being fucking brilliant at now.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that could be me. I think, like going back to Andy Kaufman and less of course, you know that there are certain people that are going to resonate with you. So it's really weird watching Andy Kaufman videos because I have turettes and so I repeat things a lot. So he did this one skit where there was a cartoon in the United States that was very popular back in like the sixties and the seventies. It was called Mighty Mouse. It was about this little tiny mouse that had like powers very similar to Superman, and so he would have a little mouse cape and fly around and you know, he would just shout here, I come to save the day, which is really arrogant, like, if you're going to be a superhero, you're screaming that shit. You would never hear Superman like like screaming that stuff. So the Mouse was a bit of a twat. If we're gonna be honest and Andy Kaufman used to do this thing where he would lipsync but he didn't know any of the words, and you would see him and the skid is he's getting more and more nervous and flustered because they know the words. But then every time the chorus hits, he would put his arm up and sing, here I come to save the day, and then he would go back to being confused. And the timing it was so genius. You would think that there's nothing funny about that, but it was epic. But he would experiment with things and when he bombed, it was funny, like he would tell the worst jokes on stage, like you know your friend who finds a joke so funny they're laughing at their own joke and they can't continue, but their delivery is atrocious, and you're laughing not because the joke is funny, but because of how funny they find their own joke. And they have no business telling jokes to anybody, not even the best mates. He would he would do that, knowing full well he can masterfully deliver it, and he would even stop and go no, no, no, wait, wait wait do you get it? Do you understand? And just keep going. And it was just if you find value in dying on stage, And like you said, curiosity, I think curiosity key to life.
Speaker 4: But it's it's.
Speaker 1: Got to be the key to doing any job, especially comedy. Really well, like, what's what is funny about this? What am I learning about this?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like, like what's the audience's reaction going to be? If you can find I think curiosity is the antidote to the pain of rejection or an an antidote. Maybe not the antidote, Like I don't know, Maybe the antidote is like whiskey, but maybe a curiosity could be an ad to do it. I don't know. I don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: When you did when you did.
Speaker 1: I've got a concussion, I seriously do.
Speaker 3: When you did the comedy gigs, did you do them for an interest in comedy or did you do them for the for the secondary gains of developing a particular skill set or testing yourself? What was the reason?
Speaker 1: Oh, at first they did it because the person who told me to put my name down said you'll never get cold. So Amy was going to go on the road for like a few months. She was making a film. So I wasn't going to see her regularly for months. So we went to this comedy club in LA that we just loved, and I was like, oh, okay, this is a really good chance for me to put myself out there and look really courageous in front of of Amy at no risks to me personally. So he's like this guy who I'm not going to mention his name, who's a comedian. He's like, yeah, just put your name down. To tell you the truth, there's a very little chance you're gonna get called. Oh really, Oh okay, I'll put my name down. I'll try this. And then like I was one of the first people called and I was like, well, what are you talking about? You said, I was, ah, screw it. So I'm just gonna drink my chemet and yeah that's Belgian ale by the way, and I'm just gonna hang out and wait for my skit. And then I tried to walk straight up on stage rather than going through the green room. So the host hated me, just hated me because I didn't know where to go, what to do. I just like stumbled on stage. I sat down on a stool. I did my first just leaning on a stool and yeah, and then it was really tough like I had been. I had delivered at that point, like I don't know, easily over fifteen hundred seminars of my.
Speaker 4: Life, and I thought, oh, I've got this.
Speaker 1: But when you don't have a context and now you got to get up there and like people are expecting you to be funny, that's difficult. So I didn't do as bad as I thought I was going to do, but I didn't realize it was that hards Oh this is something I want to do. I want to do this because this is a domain of public speaking and entertainment that could probably make me better. So that happened after, but at first it was just me putting my name down, you know, just having a laugh.
Speaker 3: So you didn't have any You didn't do any specific learning or training or preparation aside from obviously you're speaking.
Speaker 1: I told you I had a couple of chemets.
Speaker 3: How many people do you think that give those open mind not to go how many going completely blonde like that and wing it, and how many going having done something that gives them a structure or some process to follow.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, but my guess would be there's two types of people that do open mic nights. Complete idiots like me who are just having a laugh and they're just like I know, they're out there with their mates and say, oh, I'll go up and do this thing. Maybe a third category people who actually think they're funny and think that funny in the pub transfers to stage. It doesn't. But I would imagine quite a lot of people that go up are working comedians and they're just looking to get as many reps as they possibly can, test out as much material, and they probably have stuff that they had written down and they're just trying to practice it in front of a live audience. Yeah, So I would imagine those are the three categories. I think the biggest category is probably the latter, although well I may be completely wrong. There may be a comedian out there go on this sky doesn't always talking about please right end. We want to know.
Speaker 3: When I was on my speaking at the conference last month, the co host Martin, he did a little unannounced, unplanned bit of a comedy skit in the middle of the show and it was it was actually quite funny. It was really he was really good. But he talked to us about the benefit. He said, he did just a weekend course and got some experience, and he said it was just so beneficial for speaking. And it was really funny because having done the learning around structure and structures and processes and ideas and creating content that I have over the last year or so, and especially since starting the course I'm doing, it's shifted my race because any other time we have had a chat about or anyone has talked about getting up on stage to do comedy, I was like, that is the bravest thing ever. Never in a million million years would I ever do that. But I sat in that conference and I was like that I feel a bit of a pull to doing that, and I'm like, what where did that come from? Like that because it is terrified still terrifies me, but it's not the outcome of getting on stage, because I know there's so much underneath. It's like, it's the process, oh, I for this relationship with the ability to prepare a skit and make it happen. Like there's a lot of different skills that get honed in outside of just standing up to deliver it. There's all the preparation, Like we did we did story Slam in Queensland. That was unannounced until we got there and I won it, and what was called is looking back and going Ah. There was a lot of skill sets, so there was the ability to be for that to be announced in the middle of an event, the first World Becoming event, and we had between ten pm and eight the next morning to enter, so we had no time. I had to think of a story, and then we had one hundred characters to describe the title and the gist of the story that everyone would be voting on, and the people that the top six were going to be doing the story slam, so you had to be really clever and concise in creating a storyline out of one hundred characters. And then we had three minutes. Yeah, so we had then, and that didn't get announced until lunchtime the next day, so we had to eight thirty. Between eight thirty and twelve, everybody voted, and then at four pm, right before the end of our workshopping and our day our conference, they announced the six and then we met back for dinner at six pm, so we had about two hours to go and have a shower, get ready for dinner, and have a bit of a plan for our three minutes on stage. And it was brilliant to go through that process because I learned a lot of well, I observed a lot of things that I have over time been able to develop skills around that allowed me to have the capacity to practice the new things that were open to me in this experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like speaking, and it's a very it's a very hard skill. Like something came up in a meeting today where the MC of an event that I was doing, he had said something about, you know, like putting the work in and learning things, and somebody took that as a personal attack, like he doesn't even know you, right, And like someone in the meeting of the debrief somebody brought up you know, people have no idea what it's like for a speaker up there, Like if you say one thing or you mispronounce a word, people will jump on you about that, like have you ever done this? Especially when you have people doing like all day workshops or a couple of hours of a presentation, do you have any idea? Like what goes into that stuff is brutal And I'm not saying like you know, because you're getting on stage, so obviously there needs to be an expectation and delivery is critical and it needs to be engaging just as much as it's informative. But I don't think people who don't do that appreciate all the preparation that goes into it.
Speaker 3: Do you are you still learning? In terms of speaking? Are you still learning new stuff? Or are you still honing? Do you I feel like you have covered all the areas of learning open to you, and you're choosing parts of those to focus on.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting question.
Speaker 4: TIF.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm doing both. I feel like I'm learning new stuff. But lately I've been finding it's really important to go back and learn how to or relearn how to hone the skills I've developed. Because I would say that twenty twenty four was my worst year in front of an audience.
Speaker 3: Really why, Yeah, I'm just changed.
Speaker 1: I think the expectations about Okay, well, where's your power point? We want to see a PowerPoint like everything that you say, We want the bullets up there, we want That's not how I speak. And I just if I bring up a PowerPoint, there'll be an image, or if I if there's a quote that I'll use, but I don't even know what quotes I'm going to use and tell on there, like how like for me to know everything I'm gonna say, Am I really connecting with the audience? Like if you've had enough preparation, and obviously in the first couple of years doing this, that's a big ask, but you should be able if the ad even if the audience isn't speaking, they're still communicating. You should be able to take that communication, make a decision on the fly and restructure your entire presentation right there in a split second and have it be cohesive. And I was over preparing, Like normally, if I have any PowerPoint or all, it's an image or video something that I cannot say. I think when people are trying to read bullet points, as fun as that is for them and listen to you, they're missing something because there's context there and there is that emotive impact. If I wanted to put everything I needed to talk about on a PowerPoint, I would just send out a PowerPoint presentation, do the reading and your own like you know, leisure and just like why why rock up to the actual session. So I was started doing a lot of things where and there was also trying to meet everyone's expectations about how they thought I should present or what they weren't happy about even though they're not presenters. So I was doing all this stuff that I've trained speakers to never ever do, and it showed, you know, like you get up there and you get oh that was a that was a good presentation. Yeah, no, oh that was very interesting. No, that's horrible. The subtitles there is you wasted our time. If somebody gets up like, oh that was interesting. Oh, I mean I learned something that was good information, Like you should have sent an email. You want to impact people on an emotional level when you're speaking. It is about influence, and because the world to influence has rubbed people the wrong way in the past, what I mean by influence is the ability to positively affect the character, development and behavior of someone or something like a team or an organization. I got that definition from the Encoded World English Dictionary, so it's legit. But that's kind of like that's the game you're playing.
Speaker 3: I think, Yeah, yeah, I'm I see and hear speakers differently now and probably a bit like a bit like comedy, you know, that's changed for me. And now hearing and seeing speakers is shifting, but I'm still very much in the world of listening and learning and deciding and applying and deciding what fits me and if it needs attention and where it can improve me or where it where it might not fit. But yeah, I mean very much. I think like yourself and like Harps and a lot of the people that I respect in speaking, I am very off the cuff and very in tune with connecting with the audience and going where we go together. But in the middle of that learning about even kind of the neuroscience of how people take on the information that we present. So how am I presenting that? How much am I presenting and expecting people to retain And are they having a good time and having emotionally resonant moments that also translate to things that stay with them once I leave the room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think every season speaker that I enjoy kind of is in that space where I'm there to be connected to people and they're not going to remember everything I'm saying. The best you can do is to frame things in a way where you spark people's curiosity. Yes, there are takeaways and tools, I'm not discounting that at all, but they'll remember how they felt and what's their level of interest in a topic after you've spoken about it, because nobody's like, oh wow, so how did you get to where you got to in your career. I attended a seminar one day and the information was amazing, and ever since then, I've just been applying it for me. Like one of the things I came up in the meeting today is somebody wrote in an eval, oh wow. I really like the references to these books because I always want people to know what I'm saying right now, like my stories are me some of them, and the way I'm delivering is me, but the information's not me. I didn't come up with any of this, And even if I did come up with it and create a model around it, it's because I probably heard it from twenty different sources that I'm putting together here. Read this book, read this study, and they're like, oh, we love that, because now we can go after the session's over and go explore what interests us about the topic. Like that's the highest outcome I'm looking for is I now can go out and pursue my own curiosity because they're not going to remember ninety five percent of what it is that I said. But if they go out and dedicate themselves to a lifetime of learning for a subject matter that has value to them, that's brilliant, Absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that. What's what are your what are things you're doing now?
Speaker 1: Like what related to oh, related to speaking? Yeah, like you mean in front of an audience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, reflecting on your year at twenty twenty four and going, ah, that's that's my that's my most recent year and my worst year being in front of an audience. How did you decide where to recalibrate and where to put your attention in improving?
Speaker 1: Well? So I was realizing there's a couple of things. I was realizing. One, you know, how you perform even if people come up to you and like, oh my god, I love that. That was the best thing ever they call Oh you know, I didn't really like this, or you could have done this better. You know, when you're in the flow, and that's the best that you can do if you're prepared in your delivery. And I just got off some big stages and thought who.
Speaker 4: Was up there?
Speaker 1: Like I didn't show up for this today. There was somebody up speaking, and you know, tell them stories and relaying research and data, which is wow, that's exciting. I mean, but I wasn't there. I didn't bring myself to this presentation. And I can't imagine at if I wasn't up there, this conference or this session would have suffered. They could have put they could have put anybody good up there, and it's like, if you're not adding unique value, what are you doing? So I started noticing that, and I also started noticing I didn't like being up there. Like last Friday, I was working with an executive leadership team for a college, and I love working with these groups of people. And as I'm in the convention center, you know, not a feeling when you're walking through the convention center, and as you're walking through it, you're just picking up more and more energy from everyone, like you're just expanding and expanding, expanding. I'm walking towards the room, I'm like, what's this room gonna look like?
Speaker 4: And I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: That is how I have been for ninety nine percent of the presentations I've ever delivered, like I want to be here, you know, even if it's like five people in an office somewhere and they're like, oh, we're going to bring in this speaker, so you know, whilst you're eating your sandwiches, you can listen to this guy. I want to be here, And I started realizing I don't want to be here like I would want to be doing anything else, like oh, getting up this early in the morning, And I realized, what is happening to you? So for a lot of different reasons, I was struggling with burnout. So I was completely toast. I said, you know, one of the things I need to do is get back into my authentic speaking style because this whole scripting out word for word and trying and going over it and trying to remember it, this shit doesn't work for me, right, I know it works like actors do that all the time. I mean and by the time they deliver, though, like they make that their own. So the script's only like ten twenty. For me, it was like fifty percent of everything. You're on the wrong path because you're stressed out and you're not thinking properly and you're doing the same you're making the same mistakes that a lot of people make. So you need to reset. So I went to Rakovic to reset. It's a great place to reset. Very cold and came back. So, okay, let me try something not different, let me go back to the way I'm used to presenting, and it just it's been getting better and better.
Speaker 3: How do you know when your perception of your performance is reality to the degree that you believe it is.
Speaker 1: Well, I believe it is. I don't know if it's reality. I'm sure I've gotten off the stage and been like, oh, that that was a great delivery, and people are like, oh.
Speaker 4: My goodness, wow.
Speaker 1: You know it's like I I missed, I missed stranger things for this, So I'm sure. I'm sure There's there's been times so I've been off base, but that goes the other way as well, more often the other way. I was like, I don't think that was the best delivery, and people like that was amazing. So I did a presentation for a friend of mine many months like many months ago, but damn well it was six months ago. I thought, oh man, wow, that that did not land. I really wanted to do a great job for him, and I was like, oh, I could tell he was disappointed, and you called me. He's like, my team is doing better already. They loved it. They loved everything. You had to say they used it. It worked immediately. I can't thank you enough. I was like, oh, okay, so I was off base there. So I think getting out of your head. It doesn't matter. Here's the thing. It doesn't matter how well you perform. What matters is how connected are you to the audience and what's the state of you bring into the room. I'm listening to the audience. If I feel from the audience, I feel for myself that I am flowing. I'm not forcing anything. I've done enough preparation. I'm adapt I'm adaptable. It's the information's not coming from me, it's flowing through me. I'm like an antenna. That's when I know I've delivered. Now are there people that are going to write, yeah, I didn't like this, or oh I love that. Yeah, of course, Like I did a session and I prepared thirty hours for one hour, and people like, oh my god, that this person like was so prepared, like so many layers, and somebody wrote I thought the presenter was completely unprepared. Superficial answers that's always going to be out there. You know, they're always going to be in the audience, and you have to if I get twenty percent of that, Okay, I need to change something. If that's like a couple of people, you're definitely going to get those. You should you shouldn't take those seriously, and you shouldn't take be that was amazing. That's presentation I've ever shouldn't take that seriously either. You know, you know where you're at. How do you know? Because you do a lot of speaking and you're you're you're like really good at it. So what's your litmus test?
Speaker 3: This is why I ask because and more for me in reference of podcasts, because because I do these so frequently, no matter what, like I always go through the emotional chaos in preparation for speaking, you know, oh, changing it and carrying on and well I'm not ready and what am I going to you know, how's this going to come together? And blah blah blah blah. And but on the day, I'm always excited, right because I love to be I'm nervous, and then once I'm there, I love it. I love connecting, I love being in the room with people. Podcasting is quite consistent for me. It's it's almost every day doing my podcast on the podcast with Harps, and there's a lot more ebbs and flows in just daily life, and there's been times sipped from the very beginning of this journey right up until definitely this year, I've just been a shit of a year. At times where I have been in the middle of conversations and I've thought beforehand, I should just cancel this, but I'm not one to cancel, so I just kid. I feel like I'm in a funk. I'm tired, and i just don't feel like I'm going to bring my best. And then in some conversations, I just feel like I'm doing a terrible job as a host. I'm like, you are so terrible at this, Like this feels like a question answer podcast and not your usual flow of conversation, and I really beat myself up and get down about it, and I'm like, oh God, And eventually I'll have a listen to it. Sometimes it takes a while because I don't want to listen to me being shit, And occasionally I'll listen to it and be like, ah, what was the problem. There was no problem with that. That was not clunky, Like I thought that was clunky, and that wasn't clunky, and I didn't sound however, I thought I sounded. So it really interests me in how we because we are emotional beings and energy driven beings. How do we? And it was the same with boxing, It was the same with thinking that you know a performance was shit, And like I always tell a specific story where I was sparring, and I remember, I can so vividly remember this day where I sat down afterwards and I took my head gear off and my mouth guard out, and I was just kind of staring at the wall, frustrated at myself, pissed off. And my coach comes over and he goes, what's the matter with you? And I go, just I just frustrated. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of being so shit at it. And he looked at me and he goes, yeah, no one in this gym has ever put pressure on Carly the way you just did. That's the best you have ever sparred. Now, Carli was worlds at more advance than me and a few weight divisions, maybe two or three weight divisions heavy. I'm in a small ring and she and to hear that feedback, I was like, hang on, I think I'm sitting here under the guys that I am so shit, and I'm embarrassed about it, and I'm frustrated by it, and I'm annoyed that I don't know how to get better. And then my coach comes and says, hey, that's the best you've ever sparred. And on top of that, as a little fucking tiny little novice here, you've just put more pressure on one of our girls than most people have ever Like, how do we trust ourselves to keep going?
Speaker 1: My friend John once asked me a question. I've talked about John a lot. I think he's just he's brilliant comedian, educator. And he said, what do you think happens if Steven Spielberg rocks up to set one morning and he just feels like he is completely shit? What do you think happens? I was like, I don't know. Maybe that's why we never had a sequel to et, you know, went home, never came back. I don't know. Some people can say I don't really blame him, but he said nothing. He has an he has an amazingly productive creative day because of craft, because every day he has worked on his craft. So he walks in on set and he's feeling amazing. He's going to produce something special. He walks onto set and he's feeling completely like shit, He's going to produce something amazing. It's craft. It's just keep going and doing the reps. But like you know this better than anybody, it's not about doing the reps. It's not about like, Okay, I've done like four presentations this week. It's about how you do it. Okay, What am I looking for? What's the main thing I want to convey? How do I want people to feel? Okay? I presented what happened? Right, Like, what if I could go back in time, rewind and do this whole day over again. What went particularly well here? What was I really pleased with?
Speaker 4: What brought that about?
Speaker 1: Was it the way I felt? Was it that I got there early, or I listened to comedy or I was listening to music in my head. I think preparing and reading your notes before you go on stage is a massive mistake, right. It's like, if you don't know what you're going to say about you probably probably not shouldn't be speaking on it about the state you get in, Yeah, you know, maybe I don't know. Maybe I listened to uh, maybe I listened to the theme of Stranger things. We'll stick with that that got really good soundtrack? Maybe it's that. Okay, if what would I have changed? Why? And is there anything that I didn't anticipate that happened that I was surprised by? Like what surprised me? What was novel about this particular session? What did I learn? You keep doing that and then you prepare based on that, like you carry all that over into practice for the next one. I think you'll get better and better. So it's a value. It's it's it's getting up, doing the repetitions and evaluating what happened and what do I do next?
Speaker 3: Sure things interesting to bear in mind is the idea that when we choose to do, when we are following a passion or a love, when we choose to dedicate our life and career to something that fills our cup, like yourself, like myself, and like a lot of people and even people I think with jobs. You choose a job and you go, this is the career that I want to dedicate myself to because I love it and it feels good. The trap is the almost thinking that the feeling good is the reason we're doing it and not just the doing of it. Like yes, it's a performed like, yeah, this most of what I do relies heavily on performing well doing it, but I don't do it. I didn't start doing it because I performed well. I started doing it because something about the doing of it captivated me and made me want to perform well. Right, And then I think that subconsciously we can fall into the trap of well, one day I'll just feel like I'm good at this, and that never It never happened. In boxing, I'm aware. I was aware that I had a skill set. I was aware that I won more than I lost. I was aware when I got titled. I was aware that I had capabilities and had and improvements. But in the middle of that, the driver of it was always I'm doing this to get better.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Confidence is overrated. Confidence has to be balanced with equal measure of confidence, otherwise you're going to get your ass kicked, definitely in the rank on stage. In sales like don't get too confident. Curiosity again, going back to that, curiosity isn't throwing because curiosity gets you out of your own head and puts you in the moment. It puts you on stage, it puts you in in connection with other people in your audience or sometimes you know, you could find out where there's meaning in something by just trying shit, because I don't think I agree with you. Where if there's something meaningful, something you value, how can I express this value? For some people that's public speaking, for some people that's making music, or there's also I was just fucking about and I found out in a good way, right, So he was like, like, what I got up in front of an audience. I didn't want to be there. Oh, so it's sad. So a couple of weeks ago, Dennis Weightly died. Dennis weight Lee was a public speaker. He was like one of the godfathers of the self help industry, you know, like if if self help was a mafia, he would have been one of the heads of one of the five families. And he just he was the first person I was ever introduced to. And I met Dennis. Actually, we've hung out, we've we've had big nights out actually, and you know, I kept in touch with him for a bit. There's another lesson there and then stopped. And he was the first person I ever listened to where I said, oh my god, I didn't know people expressed ideas this way, and I was enthralled because my boss was driving around and he was like, Okay, I want you shut up for like thirty minutes, which, as you well know, epic esque and just just listen to.
Speaker 4: The I know, right.
Speaker 1: So I'm lucky I didn't implode. I could have had an aneurysm. But he's like, listen to this and just don't say a word until this is over. And I feel like that changed me. That planted theaters Dennis Waite leaves the Psychology of Winning, and my boss put me up in front of a room them like like over one hundred people my first time speaking. I think my second time.
Speaker 4: Was oh oh. They were like, oh, could you do this thing?
Speaker 1: There's this group that wants a speaker and we just go in and talk to them. I was like, sure, no problem, I'll go in. I'll talk to him about like fitness and goal setting and health. And I was like nineteen. I walk in the room. There were hundreds of people in the room. I was like, ah, oh my god. My girlfriend at the time was with me, and I like started walking away from the room. I was like, I'm gonna I'm gonna go to the toilet. She like, all right, you're coming back. So I was like, I don't know, I'm gonna throw up, Like I don't want to do this, and they were It was the worst. Both of those things were the worst experience ever, especially the big group. But then people would come up to me and say like, oh wow, that was so helpful for me. I got something. What there was saying is I saw something possibility for me that I didn't see before that, and that connected to my value structure. I wasn't even aware explicitly what my value structure was, but I knew the exchange of ideas and dialogue and discussing possibilities and creative ways forward was something that enthralled me, you know, at a table with two people, not like three hundred. But from that day forward, I think the next five hundred times I spoke, I wanted to throw up right before every single time. But drawing something happened. I was so connected. I disappeared, so I had no awareness of what I was feeling in terms of fear and anxiety, and after it was over, I had this euphoric feeling. It was just incredible. Oh my god, I just love doing this. So for me I didn't know. Oh, speaking as how I can contribute, I.
Speaker 4: Just tried it.
Speaker 1: I said yes to something even though I didn't even want to say yes to it. So sometimes you just got to go out and just you know, join an improv group or you know, just join join you know, a painting group and you know where you like wine and painting. You ever do those things?
Speaker 3: I love those.
Speaker 1: I love yeah, like I'm in it for the mail beck. I gotta be honest, painting some for me. But I've done those things. It's like, just play around with shit and see what works for you. You might hate something, so you don't have to do it again, just just play it life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that. I mean I got put into networking when I was younger, younger he's probably in my thirties, late twenties, and I was petrified last year. Yeah, yeah, yep, just last dar February. I always had an underlying appreciation and was quite captivated when people had an ability to hold a room or shift and energy or connect that. There was a pull there. But I never at that point went I want to do that. I was just like, that's really there's something there. And then a boss of mine, a company merged, and then I got thrown into this networking membership he had and fuck Bobby, the terror of standing up in front of there was thirteen people in the room at this first one thirty. The terror I had to stand up and speak for sixty seconds to introduce my name, the name of my business, and what we did to my peers was terrifying. I remember as they each went around and had their turn, my mind just went blank. I'd written it down, I'd practiced it all night, I had it. I'm pretty sure I had it written in front of me, but I didn't want to read it because I hate that. But I just remember sitting there and having this empty, blank mind and I couldn't hear what that was. I couldn't hear what the other people did. I don't know what they were saying because I was so fucking terrified. And eventually here we are, like, it's it's so crazy where new thing, and you're saying with the improv like I did that not because I wanted to do improv, but I was by the time you introduced me to Dave Razowski, and I had no fucking idea what improv was. What is improv? I literally did not know you could have said gobbledygook to me, Dave is a gobbledygook coach. That is what I heard when you said Dave's an improv.
Speaker 1: I'm like, David loved that statement. By the way.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what is what is gobbledegook? And what does Dave coach? And he is? Is he coaching using improv to like? And then I'm like, I google it, I'm researching. Go So Dave pretends with Dave just pretends he goes to a place and then he just so Dave's four, Dave's four, and he's a kid. And I was like, that's so fucking weird.
Speaker 1: And then I was like, you know, that's so funny. The irony of that statement, Dave. Dave is one of the few people in society that teaches people to stop pretending the situation. The situation is fictitious, the interaction is as real as you're ever. That's what I hate to just that is what was so seductive about Dave. Like I was a little bit afraid of Dave. Actually I still am probably a little bit afraid of Dave because I was like, this guy is so free and in the moment and creative and express like it.
Speaker 4: Is fucking terrifying.
Speaker 1: I want some of this. You were amazing with him. At the very end of your podcast where you and Dave were just riffing. I think about like I don't know, I forgot what it was, but there was like suitcases evolved on and maybe the two of you were planning to run away together or something. And I was like, wow, you were you were great. You were great, because that's I think, that's just.
Speaker 3: Kind of remember that. I can't even remember the conversation.
Speaker 1: It was like, no, I remembered it because you know how like when something sparks your interest, like you could see that one scene in a movie and you remember it ten years later because it touched something emotionally you. I was like, oh, wow, Tiffany's just right there, Like that riff was beautiful, because like Dave would, oh my goodness, like even trying to get me past the bridge line. It took Dave like four months. I could just see Dave sweating in sessions with me, just just sweat pouring down his face, like he probably canceled his sessions after me. It's like I'm just gonna have a lie down. It's just.
Speaker 3: Ah, but yeah, I loved that. You know. I got through that conversation and went, this is this is another version of a boxing ring for me. I think I need to go and do this weird thing. I think that there's I think there's big lessons in there that you can't learn through theory. Very cool.
Speaker 1: I wonder what the link is with you and boxing and speaking and improv I feel like there's a point where this converges for you.
Speaker 3: Boxing was a place two weeks here an interpretation. Boxing for me was a place to explore where there are boundaries and rules, but I was allowed to be well. I was allowed to be visible. I was visible, and I was allowed to be seen as exactly who I am, and that I'm okay and I'm empowered and I'm safe and I'm capable. It's an honest place where the person standing in front of me is not pretending to be my friend. They're standing there in front of the world going I'm gonna punch you in the face real hard. I'm here with an intention of beating you and you might get hurt. And there's something about that that for me, was very appealing in its honesty and very real. I think that the improv was a place where where I get so that taught me how to function within that boundary set. And then improv was a place where there were different rules and still rules, but self expression there weren't. There wasn't hey, this is what you have to do. It's hey, there's actually there's no way to do this. Here are some rules to give you a structure, but now you just have to you just have to be and do whatever comes up. And I think that I can often find myself looking for answers in this course I'm doing with the structured ways of processing thought and structures ways of I don't know coming up with what we're presenting. I don't work within those structures, and my brain implodes. I go, I don't know what. Just tell me the fucking answer. Just tell me the answer, or just put me on the stage with no plan. They're the rules. You either do it for me or just put me on the stage and I'll and it'll happen when I'm there because i'll because that's the structure I know. So I think that improv is a place where you just have to start using a new muscle and being okay with it and having fun and going. There's no implications if you get it wrong, someone's not going to knock you out. You're not going to get CTE. You're just gonna You're just gonna be there and you don't have to be funny.
Speaker 1: There are some imps that are pretty intense, So yeah.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about doing another improv workshop this year just to hone those. But then when I heard about the the link to the comedy, I was like, Oh, that ups the stakes. Maybe maybe that'll be something I'll explore. But it does terrify me very very much. Expectation, like people's expectation of you know what the expectation is. People think, come here because I think I'm funny, not because I want to understand it or I want to develop it. And that's the same as a speaker. People people think you're on stage because you think you're good, but actually you're on stage because you want to be good. And I think there's more different and there's.
Speaker 1: What you the essence of what it is you want to contribute. So I want anything you truly value. I think you want that. There's this intrinsic motivation to get better and better, to explore it and grow within that craft. And there's this like Amy said this beautifully where she was giving a speech at the Plaza Hotel in New York and she was talking about art and she said, you know, art is the ability for me to see myself in you and for you to see yourself in me. I was like, Oh, isn't that beautiful? That is why at the core of what we are as human beings, I believe it is art because that's all there is. I think that is the deepest level of existence, and it's something that is disappearing from all world pathologically. And I don't know, we could probably do a whole episode about what's causing that. I don't know, but I think when you think about when do I feel most human at the core, it's that definition of art. It's when that level of art is occurring, whether on screen, in concert, right on stage, or at a coffee shop between two people that are completely disappearing in dialogue and conversation communion with one another like that. Shit, it's powerful.
Speaker 3: Where can everybody find you? What do you got? What do you got for the messes right now? Anything?
Speaker 1: Well, my address is.
Speaker 3: Dress and phone number would be great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So.
Speaker 1: I would actually do and be like really insulted if stalkers did not rock up?
Speaker 4: What am.
Speaker 1: Just joking any potential stalkers out there?
Speaker 4: That was just a joke.
Speaker 1: Just I have ADHD, so it's very hard to stalk me because I just get distract Just it's just where am I? Oh, I know where I am geographically. But Robert Capuccio dot com, the self help antidote dot com, I'm on LinkedIn. I'm gonna be getting into social media a little bit more.
Speaker 3: You've been doing some great videos. Have you got anything you're doing anything coming up that that people can access? No, all right, get stuffed everyone. Nothing for you, guys. You can watch great videos and tune into these podcasts and on the self health helps Help Help. Can you say that self health health.
Speaker 1: That it's like a drinking game, Isn't it?
Speaker 3: Help? Antidote, You're amazing, Thanks Bobby, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Tiffany, she said, it's now never I got fighting in my blood.
Speaker 3: T