Speaker 1: Hey, Beauty's It's Jamie Joe and Jesse Massu and welcome to Skimployence, a podcast dedicated to beauty, fashion and self love.
Speaker 2: Turning your weakness into your uniqueness.
Speaker 1: Before we get started, we'd like to acknowledge the custodians of the land on which we record, the Gadigel people of the Eor Nation. In today's episode, we will be telling you the celebrity brands that are actually worth your money and the products that we think.
Speaker 2: Will serve you best and some that you should probably avoid.
Speaker 1: Okay, celebrity beauty brands. I think that every celebrity ever has come out with some sort of beauty brand. They saw Fanti Beauty do it really really well, and now everyone's just thinking that they can do the exact same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think it's just a way for them to like commodify off their name already and then make a brand from that.
Speaker 2: So it's just a big marketing ploy. Oh yeah, And sometimes I wonder if they're actually involved with the brand. Well, I would say that it depends on the brand.
Speaker 1: I think that some of the creators creators of the brand are so involved, which is really beautiful and you can see that coming through, and then others are just using the name whatever big celebrity name it is and sticking it on a brand and trying to sell.
Speaker 2: It to manufacturing products and selling it to us for the name.
Speaker 1: Yes, so true, But I mean I really love some beauty brands and they become staples in our makeup kits.
Speaker 2: And we all know.
Speaker 1: What those brands, we know what they have, Fanty Beauties, the rare beauty exactly roads and not everyone, unfortunately, has the same pool that Rihanna does, Like, you can't pretend to be rereach.
Speaker 4: She's going to sell anything because everyone loves her.
Speaker 3: That's true, But there are so many other celebrity beauty brands that you might not actually be aware about, and because they're kind of flops.
Speaker 1: Let's be real, let's be really Unfortunately, there are just too many, and a lot of people are doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: A lot of people doing hair.
Speaker 4: I think they were like, oh, everyone's done makeup, let's do hair.
Speaker 2: Let's be different.
Speaker 3: Now everyone's doing hair. As in let's name some of these brands.
Speaker 4: Okay, Jennifer Andison has a hair brand.
Speaker 2: Did we all know this? I actually did it? Not sure you told me?
Speaker 1: But honestly, would you ever look at Jennifer Anison be like, yes, her hair is amazing.
Speaker 2: I want no everyone back in her day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that, like I want the Jonah fan as a nineties haircut. Yeah, but it's like, but now it's I think it's done.
Speaker 2: Her hair is still the same.
Speaker 1: I do love her though, she's great, but you know whatever. There's also reader Or's hair brand. We've tried it.
Speaker 2: It is pretty good. Yeah, yeah, my hair type bait. I like the packaging a lot. It's like it's topology with the yellow I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the marketing side of that has done well is because of the way it's presented.
Speaker 2: I think reader Or is definitely like a business woman.
Speaker 1: She's she is a great celebrity, like she's very talented, but I think she's more of a business woman in my opinion.
Speaker 3: At the same time, I think it's also still early days for her for her, so I can't tell how that brand's going to do.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, Well, there's even JVN that's a hair brand from another celebrity who.
Speaker 2: Yeah, didn't you know that? No, I did at a celebrity own, Yeah, which celebrity. He's from Queer Eye. What's his name?
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, yeah, Jonathan van Ness JVN. Yeah, JVN kind of like came onto the scene and they've got good products. But I don't think that it did very well.
Speaker 2: Oh why, Yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I just think that again, so many incredible hair brands already and then.
Speaker 2: Just hair brands. Sometimes it's just good to stick in your lane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: I have an answer for why.
Speaker 2: I think it.
Speaker 5: So. Jonathan has kind of been a bit canceled because apparently has very like toxic behavior to his castmates.
Speaker 1: On Queer Eye.
Speaker 5: He's apparently a nightmare to work with. So that's probably why everything's flopping.
Speaker 1: I heard her rumor that it's kind of going under, but I don't even know if that's true. Don't take it as bible anyway. Okay, Well, Blake Lively just dropped a new hair brand.
Speaker 2: Very interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you know, Blake's hair is pretty phenomenally. You've got Serena vander Woodson, like, that's iconic hair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and for our generation, I feel like everyone's going to want to buy onto that because Blake is so loved as well.
Speaker 1: I love Blake Lively. She's phenomenal. Yeah, I think she's incredible.
Speaker 2: She always turns up to the metal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the best except for this year, but so true.
Speaker 1: But her brand is called Blake Brown, which I think is like her original name.
Speaker 2: That's rue, like her middle name.
Speaker 1: I like the way it rolls off the it rolls off the tongue. Now this is her catch. I think this is like where she's trying to be different. Okay, she says that no one in Hollywood uses conditioner.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, that was her, that's her. So she has no conditions.
Speaker 1: There's no conditioner in the whole hair range, no one in Hollywood US.
Speaker 2: I don't believe it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but here's the catch.
Speaker 1: She just has a mask like conditioner.
Speaker 2: They're using masks and said, I do that. Well that's what we do. Oh that's fair exactly.
Speaker 4: I think it was like a cute, little cheeky marketing place to.
Speaker 1: Be like, what are they doing? I want to do that conditioner in Hollywood? No, you just use a hair mask instead, which is just a better version of conditioner.
Speaker 3: One brand that I've been keeping my eye on just for the kickles is Florence by Mills.
Speaker 2: So you're actually keeping your eye on it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just because I follow her. Well, I really like actor.
Speaker 2: She's so funny.
Speaker 3: The marketing is a little bit interesting. I think it is for like a younger audience than our generation.
Speaker 4: Do you think she could be doing better with the marketing?
Speaker 2: Do you like it?
Speaker 3: It's just not what you'd expect from a celebrity brand, right, but maybe maybe that.
Speaker 4: Will work for her.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a bit kiddish.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to say, like the pimple patches probably like unicorns and rainbows or something like that.
Speaker 2: People patch is done, Yeah I think so, but yeah, because grossed.
Speaker 1: But it's just not that Star People patches mean you're that girl. They just I feel like people wear Star People patches and they think that they're so indie.
Speaker 2: But they're kind of cute, like they're wearing a plastic pimple patch. But that's anyways, what else have we got? Beyonce has a hair brand.
Speaker 1: Beyonce has a hair brand, So Beyonce and Rihanna and both have hair brands.
Speaker 2: Now I think they're like battling it out. Yeah, but I've never tried Beyonces.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: Well, we're still waiting for them to be available in Australia and I am dying to try fenty hair.
Speaker 3: Okay, because fenty hair is looking incredible. I see all the tiktoks for the curly girls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the reviews have been really great. It looks extremely hydrating for curly girls. And honestly, there's like a few good staple products. But it's not like she just copying pasted from a regular curl hair range. You can really tell.
Speaker 4: It's very well thoroughly thought out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, read out a few of the products. Okay, she's got the rich One moisture Repair shampoo conditioner and then a deep conditioner.
Speaker 1: Right, but we would say that might be for a bit kinkier hair than.
Speaker 3: Our Yes, I probably wouldn't buy those products. Like after reading them and seeing them online, it looks like we're a tied to curl exactly, which is good because there's a lot out there for looser curl patterns already.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: But the products I have my eye on as the Home Curl curl defining cream, the jelly type stronghold gel.
Speaker 1: Yes, these look incredible. It looks so good and the packaging is so unique too.
Speaker 2: I love the packaging.
Speaker 3: It's in like a tub, which is not unusual, but it opens like a makeup palette.
Speaker 2: It doesn't like scroll off. Yeah, I really like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the jelly type stronghold gel looks so it looks amazing.
Speaker 1: I also really like that. It's kind of a simplified routine for curly girls. So you've got just the cream and.
Speaker 2: Just the gel.
Speaker 1: A lot of uni, Yeah, a lot of girls have been saying just two products and the hair is looking better than ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because a lot of the time you see on TikTok, like ten products lined up just to get your hair looking good. But like, honestly, that's not what you need when the products are good exactly. We've always preached that two steps for styling is perfect, Yes, but they.
Speaker 4: Do have one more thing, right, No, they've got three more things.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, So the controlling type hair thickening, edge control job.
Speaker 2: So this is more of a styling product when you want to slick your hair back, yeah, or even for girls who wear wigs.
Speaker 4: That'd be really good for under a wig exactly.
Speaker 3: And with that they've got the side stick three in one edge styling tool.
Speaker 2: See that looks so good.
Speaker 3: I want it so and that together, Yeah, like even for your hair right now, it would look so.
Speaker 2: Much better than what it does.
Speaker 4: That's a shade you're throwing at it.
Speaker 3: And then the last product is the Protective type five in one heat protectant styler. And a lot of time you think about heat protectant is before you straight and I'll.
Speaker 2: Give your hair a blowout.
Speaker 3: But honestly, when you're diffusing your hair, he protected should also be used. And I don't do it, but I think I want to start employment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and maybe we should try and get a hands on that. Then.
Speaker 1: I think he protected before diffusing is really good if you want a tight hold, because if you're diffusing without heat, it's you're not going to get a.
Speaker 3: Strong, long holding curls. Yeah, and that's why I really liked to refuse, because my hair lasts longer.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, honestly, like re Rey really always comes in with innovation, and that's one thing I love about her, and I I just think she does really really well to set herself aside.
Speaker 4: In the market.
Speaker 1: I would say, in terms of like the holy grail of celebrity brands, what do we have?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we said earlier it's definitely fenty it's rare beauty, and I think now Roads has come onto the scene quite well. Yeah, I really like Rhoades, but with Fenty, Like, let's get into this a little bit more in terms of her makeup. How has that like aged over time because it's been around longer than these other brands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, they kind of stepped onto the scene and they made a big impact. Like Fenty Beauty was massive. This was the biggest launching beauty you know, after that massive beauty Guru era, Like this was iconic because she came out with a massive shade range that no other brand was doing, and that level of inclusivity did not exist before.
Speaker 2: Re redid it.
Speaker 1: She really did pave the way for other beauty brands to step up and get it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it kind of kicked everyone else in the butt, like this is the industry standard that needs to be happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was a really really like pivotal shift in the beauty market. And also she was really one of the first big celebrities to come out with a brand and kind of have this insane hype around the launches, Like it was so much fun. I remember going to the Sephora desk for the first time and just being like why.
Speaker 2: Did you go to like early fenty Beauty again and like you got to meet Rihanna. Oh yes.
Speaker 1: When fenty Beauty dropped in Australia, there was a massive, like exclusive event and I was fanging so hard, like I'd actually never felt that type of anxiety before because I just wanted to be as close to Rihanna as possible.
Speaker 4: That's so short, but ghost I was unlocked memory time ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for reference, Fancy Beauty did launch in twenty seventeen, so it's it's in that era. It was in that like beauty guru error.
Speaker 3: The makeup and strackaging and the artistry of it is really suited to that time, and I feel like there is room now for the brand to sort of give it a little regig in terms of packaging.
Speaker 1: Also in that time, there was a lot going on racially, so this was kind of a way to empower a lot of people in the beauty industry as well as outside of it.
Speaker 2: Like it just created a lot of noise. Yeah, and it definitely kicked off her brand super well. It launched at a really good time.
Speaker 4: Yeah for what it is, yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Well in terms of now, like we I still really do love fnty beauty, but I feel like it just has a little bit less of a place in my kit. That's when I think Rare Beauty has really done an amazing job at establishing themselves as a brand for everybody.
Speaker 3: And like I said, you know, we never know where real beauty will be in Like we might feel the same about her brand in three years time or four years time, but for right now, she seems a bit more relevant to the current makeup because before it was really.
Speaker 2: Into like artistry, the full beat, the full.
Speaker 3: Glam, and now it's kind of like stripping it back and then everyone's sort of wanting to.
Speaker 2: Whatever's been portrayed in the media.
Speaker 3: I guess at this time it's more of like natural but glowy compared to a beef like a full beat.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Selena herself as a CEO of Red Beauty, she is so involved and you can really see the love filtered through, which.
Speaker 2: Is what I love about Red Beauty.
Speaker 1: And I like that it's an approachable brand, so you know, they have packaging that is easy for everybody to use even if you you know, struggle with any sort of like muscular things. Like I really like that she keeps everybody in mind when she's creating.
Speaker 2: That's really nice. Yeah, she's so sweet.
Speaker 1: I have met Selena Gomez, which is crazy.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I've literally been in the room with both of that.
Speaker 2: It's really cool. That's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, honestly, literally, she was wearing this like snake skin little mini dress and bucket hat.
Speaker 2: Wasn't she wearing a hat? Yeah? Oh my gosh. It was such a good time.
Speaker 1: It was a really cool time like that. That time in the beauty world was so exciting. And then yeah, I think that besides Fenty doing an incredible job, rare beauties like really solidified themselves in the market and they have so many beautiful products and they're super approachable.
Speaker 3: I find that these products a lot. They're in my kit now, like these are my staple products. We use them everywhere.
Speaker 2: With Fenty, what products would you say are like in and out?
Speaker 1: Well, I would say it's a really big brand now, Like they've got a lot of products, so it can be established. Yeah, it can be like slightly overwhelming if you're new to makeup or if you're more like that kind of girl next door, like relaxed vibe with your makeup. But I would say, like the iconic gloss bomb lip glosses, that's the Yeah, that's the lip gloss, Like that's the blueprint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I don't think any lip gloss comes close to me. It doesn't top it. But like the.
Speaker 3: Consistency, like the thickness of the loins, the way it actually like makes your lips look juice.
Speaker 2: Even just the innovation of shades.
Speaker 1: She really did kind of bring out the first range of lip glosses.
Speaker 2: That were so different and bold. Then you're just like pinkies and you know regularly ones you're seeing the price line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. She she changed the game for shades.
Speaker 2: Some of like some of the brands now not celebrity rands, but they are stuck with like the old lip gloss shade ranges and like on tan skin, it's like you're putting conceala on your lip and it's foul.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true, That's what I mean. For all types of races. She brought out shades that matched everybody. Like I found my first brown lipgloss from like re Re, and I remember being like this is revolutionary for me, Like I don't have concealer lips anymore.
Speaker 2: This actually matches well, I don't have bright pink fish Yeah, bright pink Fisher lips.
Speaker 4: We're not revisiting that today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I would say, like when we're kind of fighting off between fenty and Red Beauty. Fenty just did release a whole range of lipliners. They're called Traced Out and they're thirty dollars. You can get them at Saphora. On the other side of that, Red Beauty haslipliners as well, and they're twenty nine dollars for.
Speaker 4: A one dollar Yeah, very even out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like in the same price range. But we have tried both these products out now. Yeah, we just recently got the fenty ones and we both tried them out for the past couple of days, and we fought the battle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rad Beauty one. Ah yeah, Red Beauty one.
Speaker 1: They really did because Red Beauty is my staple lip line. I wear it every single day and nothing has ever come close to it.
Speaker 3: No, the formula is really good, Like you can eat with it, it will like usually stay on and then it just.
Speaker 2: Merges really well when you put like ar lip gloss on.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The why is the consistency not as good for fenty? What's the difference it's a bit more slippery. I found that it wasn't going where I wanted.
Speaker 1: It's almost too creamy. And also it's the packaging itself. So reduity is a wind up and then fenty is a you have to sharpen it like it's a kind of original pencil. And I just feel like the wind up is a lot more easy to use all the time. Like if I have a lipline in my bag and it's blunt, then I have no lips for the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't I want lips.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's just almost too creamy to the point where I can't get good definition.
Speaker 2: Which you want from a lipliner. Yeah, you would want that.
Speaker 1: But the shape range almost beats re Beauties like they have so Traders exactly. There's a bit of like you know, it almost balances itself out. The shades are stunning from Fentie and like again, trust Rihanna to bring out the best shades for everybody, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in ryleb Kit, it's going to be the rebuy. Yeah me too. I've for that one two.
Speaker 4: I've got to be petty like that. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: So hopefully we've given you a little bit of guidance on what brands to try and what brands to avoid, and we'll leave you with that information to make your own decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really fun, like obviously give everything a go, but we've got our paples, so we really really love so thank you so much for joining us today on skimp Flood.
Speaker 3: If you're interested in any of the products that we've mentioned in today's episode, there are links available in the episode description on your podcast app.
Speaker 2: If you love what you're hear, leave us a rating and a review.
Speaker 3: And if you have any questions or you want us to cover anything on the pod, reach out by our socials.
Speaker 2: Mine is at Jessina
Speaker 1: Suit and Mine's at Jamie jo or send us an email at Skinfluence at Nova podcast dot com dot au g