Speaker 1: Welcome to the Mentor. I'm Mark Boris, Joe Cooper, Welcome to the Mentor. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: And I've seen you around for a long long time in the coffee shop next door. You're nearly a fixture in that joint.
Speaker 1: I am. Theyre my cheers squad.
Speaker 3: That's good to have a cheer squad.
Speaker 2: And you're obviously a local, I am and local being local and Darlinghurst, correct, which is where our studios are, which is where the coffee shop is, and where you also happen to live. And you live in a very famous building here in Sydney, in East Sydney.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: I think it's technically East Sydney, which is sort of very close to the city we're talking, you know, about a kilometer and a half. I know, it takes me twenty minutes to walk from our studios into my office in Chiffley, so it's about a kilometer.
Speaker 3: And a half.
Speaker 2: Maybe a little bit more than that, maybe one point seven kilometers, because often do it.
Speaker 3: I'll put my backpack and I'll walk in.
Speaker 1: It's convenient and I walk back. Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: And so the building you live in is what's called.
Speaker 2: What it's called the Horizon Horizon building, and a very famous architect built that or design that, I.
Speaker 1: Should say, his name was Harry Sideline.
Speaker 2: Harry's Sideline Harry. And Harry Sidler's not with us anymore, is he.
Speaker 1: No, he's not, but his legacy lives on and so this building is.
Speaker 2: And I should also say that you've created a movement called the Good Warrior, and we're going to talk about that. You do have a day job. What is let's call it your day job. Maybe's probably not job, but your day night job.
Speaker 4: At the moment, it's a bit of a it's a mix. So my backgrounds in project was in project management. I left that to pursue music and then I came up against a bit of a battle and that took over my life for a solid time.
Speaker 1: I came back to do music and then I created the Good Warrior.
Speaker 4: So the Good Worry is pretty much a mix of advocacy and the arts.
Speaker 2: So maybe you could just give me an outline. What is the Good Warrior as a business model?
Speaker 1: Business model? So it's an initiative. I call it a social enterprise.
Speaker 4: It's a company that is created to inspire and educate people on how to no longer be silent bystanders. It's all about bullying, abuse of power, a place that I actually needed when I was going through a really hard time. My aim is to inspire and change culture, so to create a safety space which then equates to trust and hopefully then justice. So it's keynotes, it's workshops, it's art, some music, so storytelling to convey a very strong message.
Speaker 2: And where did this all come from? I know we won't talk about the battle you had.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a long one.
Speaker 3: Your body corporate, I guess it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably the counsel, et cetera. But where.
Speaker 2: Take me back? Like, have you suffered let's call it bullying in the past.
Speaker 4: So my very first relationship ended up in a very abusive situation which saw me in hospital.
Speaker 1: And I remember, I.
Speaker 3: Tell you.
Speaker 1: Eighteen, Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: It was a shock male male who was like I think, three times the size of me, and he pushed me out of a car, was holding onto my wrist and drove off with me for a little bit and then threw.
Speaker 1: Me out, dragged you along, dragged me out, And for me, that moment.
Speaker 4: Sort of connects to now in a way because what stuck struck me the most at that moment was the people just staring at me. Nobody coming up to see if I was okay. They were just staring at me. And I hate blood, and I was bleeding and I usually pass out. I was so fixated on the fact that nobody was coming to help me that I didn't even notice the blood, and so by a stair culture for me started then, because I know I'm very old.
Speaker 2: Culture that's a good term. So, yeah, you're right, because people do you think bisentic culture is about people not knowing what to do, or they're just gorking and don't want to do something, or don't want to get involved, they get scared themselves, or what do you reckon that is?
Speaker 4: It's a mix of all of that. So there's fear not knowing what to do. Also, if there's other people around you, they think somebody else will jump in, right, so I'll just stay back because yeah, it's not my job, it's not my place, it's not my business.
Speaker 1: You know. We also have apathy with bystanders.
Speaker 4: You know, they may think it's wrong, but they're still gonna h don't have the time, And I get all of that, but it's a numbers game. You know, we talk about bullying and abuse of power so much now it's increasing, it's not decreasing, And the only way to take power away from those who abuse it is to call it out, is to take away their anonymity and call them out early, because they rely on people being silent to continue doing what they do, what they're doing because nobody's holding them accountable.
Speaker 2: So are you saying then that in terms of your observations, that sort of beyond bullying. I think it's sort of like, as you said, abuse of power a power so instead of a structural issue that exists that within establishments, whether it be government, absolutely, power bases in organizations, body corporates, in a building with lots of people issue, do you think that people are going out and building power bases in these environments and, as you say, remain anonymous, so they're faceless, and they're not they're not elected officials, so no one has really elected them.
Speaker 3: They have appointed themselves.
Speaker 2: Do you think people are actually going out building these power bases in order to exercise that power or do you think that they go into these positions and they all of a sudden they realize that the power and then they just enjoy saying no, yes, or whatever the case may be. I mean, what's going on in these individuals and why are they doing it?
Speaker 4: Look, I do believe there are people out there that just thrive or making other people's lives miserable.
Speaker 3: And are they like professional winges.
Speaker 1: I mean yes, yes, they're insecure. Like, let's just put that out there.
Speaker 4: This is how I get through it because some days really hard, you know. I definitely I consider myself pretty tough, but I'm also human and some days were really hard, and you you know, I just had to remind myself.
Speaker 1: These people are.
Speaker 4: So insecure that they've created this mob, you know, because it's all about just bringing people in, telling them a few lies, giving them a bit of hate campaign material. You know, this woman is bad. Half the people that hate me more have never spoken to me. They don't know me, And to me, that's I feel sad and embarrassed for them, because you're not exercising any.
Speaker 1: Individual thought program judgment, no judgment.
Speaker 4: It's a hard mentality and they do thrive on it. Because I can tell you I have a few Facebook pages.
Speaker 1: Around bullying and strata and pets and strata and the good Warrior.
Speaker 4: I have more people in my personal dms than on the pages and the reason is scared. Yep, fear.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I will every now and then and say hi, guys, I really can't keep up with the messages.
Speaker 1: Please.
Speaker 4: You know you can post anonymously, but just keep it in one space for me. They won't do it, somebody might, you know, put two and two together.
Speaker 1: There is a real fear base.
Speaker 4: There is a real issue body corporates are they refer to themselves as the fourth tier of government? For goodness sake, Wow, that they actually that. I've had letters from other committee members in other buildings who I've never met, slagging me off and referring to themselves as the fourth tier of government.
Speaker 1: I should know better.
Speaker 2: So they're there to govern, they take the vie. They're there to govern the building.
Speaker 4: Well, it's more of a dictatorship more than governing. And you know, when I don't know, when it comes to government and councils, they have a big role to play because when we have elected officials and local so called independent MPs who are being influenced by stakeholders committee members, you know, in ways of no stroking their egos, hosting fundraisers, they volunteer for them, then representation of all constituents. Truly, it becomes elusive, and it's a tale as old as time.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 4: But in a time where we're being told and guaranteed almost that we have heavy governance and regulations, these things shouldn't be happening, and they are.
Speaker 1: They absolutely are.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't want to talk about my own experiences experiences with these sort of issues, but they sort of sit around the governments. But I think we probably should get to the nitty gritty of all this. So you're living in the building and you decided you did you make an application to have a pet?
Speaker 1: So what happened?
Speaker 4: I moved in, I was told by the real estate at some point before we had settled that it wasn't pet friendly. And that was a shock to me because I said to them, that's impossible. I visit people that have pets in this building, So me honestly thinking that it was an outdated by law. And so one thing that I really took exception two is I was made out to be this malicious, evil woman.
Speaker 1: So can we just go back a bit job.
Speaker 2: So you bought the property exchange property? No one said it was not pet friendly, etcetera.
Speaker 1: Just before we settled, we did find out.
Speaker 2: So the agent told is not pet friendly? Did you ask or did you say? Bring my dog is another cat?
Speaker 1: Will be talking about it as a dog.
Speaker 4: He was a little Angus Schnauzerazer.
Speaker 2: So it's not a big german chep nine kilos was on nine kilo. Okay, so we've got a small dog.
Speaker 1: Small dog.
Speaker 4: I mentioned the dog. I mentioned Angus. I mentioned the name, and the real estate agent said, no, I didn't know you had children.
Speaker 1: I said I don't. I said I have a dog, and he said, no dog's allowed in here. And that's how the conversation.
Speaker 3: Started before you settled.
Speaker 1: Before we settled, so.
Speaker 4: Me and my husband had a really big chat about it. The property ticked all the boxes we had been looking for ten months. Wasn't anything sinister? I said to Leo, my husband, you know, what do you think? He said, let's buy it. Angus was nine at the time. I'll put in a submission. Leave Angus with my sister, because you know, they got on like a house on fire, and if that fails, we'll rent it out. We've still bought a property we were interested in and we'll rent somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Not a problem.
Speaker 4: Where it went wrong is when I asked the question about a meeting that with an EGM that was upcoming, and I Strata holders EGM. So yeah, general meeting.
Speaker 1: A general meeting of the owners.
Speaker 4: Correct, sorry, and you were you are it's a legal right that you submit a motion to change a bylak.
Speaker 1: Nothing untoward. I was told to put my dog in a bag and keep my mouth shut.
Speaker 2: At the meeting before before the meeting, so they had a dog in a bag.
Speaker 4: So people the way for eighteen years that they transported their pets in and out was in a backpack in a.
Speaker 3: Trolley shopping trolley.
Speaker 2: So when I found out sort of surreptitiously bringing yeah, I'm thinking.
Speaker 4: This is arbitrary, this is crazy. So we got grown adults smuggling their pets in and I'm thinking this makes no sense. So I said to them, surely, when they finally got back to me, I said, surely this is not mature behavior.
Speaker 3: This is strata manager.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The chair, the chair and the secretary chair of the body corporate, of the body corporate.
Speaker 4: So the chair and the secretary, and they were the ones to basically tell me if I put the motion forward, I would potentially become a target.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if this has come through. I detest bullies.
Speaker 4: I test them and I said to them, what do you mean I will become a target?
Speaker 1: Is that a threat?
Speaker 4: No, it's just a fact. Okay, so you're aware there's pets in the building. Oh yeah, there always has me. Okay, I'm going to put that motion in because it's a legal right. And I left it at that. A few weeks after that, I was coming down the back gate. A man opened the gate. I said, thank you. We off the premises.
Speaker 1: With all of that dog Angus was not in yet. Yep.
Speaker 4: I thought I was trying to do the right thing. And he looks at me and he says, excuse me, with utter disgust, looks me up and down, and I said, oh yeah. He said, are you that person who's trying to change our culture and community? And I said, are you talking about I'm assuming you're talking about my motion and the meeting hadn't happened yet something okay, words got around and I said, yeah, that's me. I said, but I'm actually just trying to reflect the reality of.
Speaker 1: What going on.
Speaker 4: Well, you see, we've rid ourselves of millionaires and you, you stupid little brown girl, but you'll be gone in a week.
Speaker 1: Said that, He said that, What the hell? He said it twice.
Speaker 4: I can tell you like, I'm saying this to you now, and my body right now is shaking because there was this disc there was this disbelief, but also this anger, thinking, wow, if this is the reaction to a simple question, there's something major going on in this building.
Speaker 2: The extent of the dog, the change of ocean, relation to pet pets, or the motion to change the bilas and relation to pets extended to calling you one stupid two little yep, three brown brown girl or brown and girl and girl.
Speaker 1: Because it was never about pets.
Speaker 4: Let's put that on the table. This was never about pets. They knew there was pets in the building. They were okay with pets in the building as long as you put in a bag. This was not about This was about abuse of power, pure and simple.
Speaker 3: It was this individual on the body corporing.
Speaker 1: It was a connection to the body corp. Yeah yeah, yeah, so they have their they have their little clique.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I've been to that process.
Speaker 4: And it's happening all not only in New South Wales. I get messages from New Zealand nationwide. I got an email from Canada a few months after I won my case.
Speaker 1: It wasn't the easiest road to how'd you feel?
Speaker 2: How did you feel then when that that, when you were confronted with that that sentence and also, oh, that's the traction.
Speaker 4: Disgusted, really disgusted because discouraged. No, no, no, that that was the moment. I can tell you I got over the shakes. So I called my husband. He was working in Darwin at the time.
Speaker 1: I told him what was.
Speaker 4: Happened, what had just happened, and I said to him, if these guys are so arrogant to take me on a legal path, because there was already wind of that, I said, I'll take this all the way, you know. Excuse my language, I said, game on, motherfuckers.
Speaker 2: Totally hello, I'm glad. I mean, I don't know what my response. I feel like punching him in there. I didn't say would punch him in the head, for those who are listening, but I said I would feel like punching that.
Speaker 3: I will constrain myself.
Speaker 4: And can I tell you the most exhausting part about all of this, The most exhausting was the restraint in my response and my emotions, because I knew the moment I responded, I was called that's bad.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I've been called low class. I've been physically assaulted by a woman. I've been spat at, I've been called all in sundry in this process, in this process, and until now about please do nothing?
Speaker 2: Yes, yep, but these are people who are supposed to be you know, wealthy, wealthy people who I own, you know, like high order people own absolutely something in a very famous building, spend a lot of dough. They're probably professional people or at least got good incomes to afford these things. Yeah, that's that's like unbelievable, Like how could they be so emotional to let their emotion and so reckless to allow their emotions to run away from such a rage?
Speaker 1: Well what about, though.
Speaker 4: About this little person who they deem way beneath them, having the guts to challenge them. So, if I take it back to bullying and abuse of power, they rely on intimidation, they rely on beating you down, and you go, ooh, maybe I should You know, this is a bit too scary, It's a bit much it's a strategy, and unfortunately I've been there. I know what a narcissist is, I know what a bully is. I've dating someone who I loved who put me in hospital. I know the patterns, and I really with the good warrior. Just going back to that for a minute, something I teach in that is the connection between repeated disrespect that leads to bullying, that leads to domestic violence, or violence in general, that ultimately.
Speaker 5: In a lot of cases, leads to tragedy because because what's happening is their brains getting rewarded correct continually for their behavior correct And because it's.
Speaker 2: Like in the case of bullying, end or abuse of power, a lot of times it's behind the door, so as it's also not seen.
Speaker 3: It's not visible.
Speaker 2: So I get away with what I do, which no one can see anyway, and I get the outcome I want. Personally, I want. So these are our personal opinions. Why wouldn't I just can't get my head around it. But why wouldn't they want a little small dog, probably a cute bit a small dog just living inside your apartment. It's not like they're it's doing a crap in the hallway or something like that.
Speaker 1: You know, I just don't understand why wouldn't they want a dog in the building.
Speaker 4: Because it wasn't about the dog. It was the fact that these people have never been challenged for eighteen.
Speaker 3: How dare you challenge me?
Speaker 1: How dare you? And who are you? You just moved in? Yeah you're a newbie and you're a little brown girl. Yeah you've got no long kre. You know the lady that called me low class, it couldn't be more cliche. I had to laugh. She was wearing pearls and she was actually touching them while she was calling me low class.
Speaker 3: I have to do a funny story, not a funny story.
Speaker 2: I had a similar experience and I won't say where, but many many years ago, Like many years ago, I bought a very expensive apartment in a pretty well known building, but in.
Speaker 1: Order to.
Speaker 3: Part of their BiLaw system.
Speaker 2: And it's a bit more complicated this, but I just a simplified was that you had to go and have an interview with the body corporate to buy to once you exchange to settle, because they could stop you from settling. So I had to actually had to have an interview, and it was twenty around twenty years ago anyway, so I was much younger than them today. I was in my mid forties, and in those days I used to everybody was wearing suits, and in those days, I used to wear a dark suit with a dark tie and a white shirt and pair of duck shoes. That was my that was my dread because I was working in environed where I had to dress that way. So I was asked coming for the interview. It was during the day, coming for an interviews, so I came straight from my work to the interview. And at that time, in terms of those sorts of clothes that was considered cool, I didn't have a colored tie. I had the same colored tie as my suit. That was considered a cool way to dress. I actually was at that time. I was an ambassador of Georgia Money, so that they dressed me. I'm not some sort of dude who understands this sort of stuff. I'm not a fashion person, but that's how Georgia Money wanted to dress me, and I wore their stuff.
Speaker 3: And I did that for a number of years.
Speaker 2: And when I meet this small group of people who represented the Body corporate, they're all much older than me. And nobody my age lived in the building.
Speaker 1: Nobody my age had kids.
Speaker 2: So I had four kids, young kids, and it was just I wasn't married. It's just me and my kids, and and I was. They asked me how I was going to settle the property and I said, hey, can pay cash andy, and they said the whole number comes. I had to actually get my accountant to send details of my bank account, a sort of stuff to make sure I could afford it. And I could afford the am you know, the quarterly fees you have to pay all that sort of stuff, which is fine. I mean, I was in unfortunatesition, no problems. And the guy, the older guy, the chairman guy, said to me, he said, by the way, he said, have you been to a funeral today? I said no, Why would you think that? He said, all the way you dressed. He said, you've got a dark pseudon and a dark tie. And I was looking at him, and he had like a vest on, like a three piece type with a vest and a tie. You know, it's a day tommy. He was retired.
Speaker 1: I don't know what he was wearing a suit for, but yeah, and.
Speaker 2: I thought, I mean, live to himself. They're looking down on me. And the person that whose apartment it was was a very famous person in the entertainment industry who had been effectively kicked out of this building because of something that he had done, which was against the bylaws. So they effectively, under the bilaws they could force you out, they could force you to sell, and that he had done something they didn't like. And he was and this dude is the guy who you know who's apartment what it was was pretty crazy sort of person. He was globally known, well known, and was always pushing against the establishment, etc. And I guess me too. And in fact, there's a book written about this building and they've been a whole chapter on this particular individual.
Speaker 3: And I just want to protect people.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to say they were, but they just assumed this young guy who was me coming into this expensive building that they're like, how could he afford it?
Speaker 3: Who was he?
Speaker 1: Why is he a dressed this way?
Speaker 2: So I sort of have experience it, not to the extreme that you have that sort of sense of you don't believing you coming from out west.
Speaker 1: They didn't call me brown boy or anything that.
Speaker 2: But at the same time they were talking about the way addressed h it's derogatory totally, and they're making a judgment on me based on what my clothes were. So I found it quite amazing. But this is like it's probably twenty five years ago now, so it was a long time ago. I can't believe that sort of thing happens still today.
Speaker 1: It's getting worse. It is getting worse.
Speaker 2: If you were to see your experience, given your your business and what you do, you're saying it's getting worse.
Speaker 1: I can't believe, absolutely getting worse. People are getting bullied.
Speaker 4: Everywhere, communities, work, homecause.
Speaker 1: That older people bullying younger people.
Speaker 2: To think, so the establishment, the so called in elite elitism, these people who now by the way, we're not talking about have to write a politicians were all met the elite general, but they consider themselves elite.
Speaker 4: They considered themselves superior. Yes, and they've got this sense of entitlement and privilege.
Speaker 2: Fuck them, yeah, fuck them, absolutely, fucking.
Speaker 1: Them and they ruined people's lives.
Speaker 3: And they across the world.
Speaker 2: So like, did you get any system from systems from the city council, Sydney City Council.
Speaker 4: I got assistance mark from no one. I if you think about the changes that have happened on such on the scale that I delivered, you know, there's usually you get some people with profiles getting behind you, some corporations established for you.
Speaker 1: You know, I change not only state law, it's across the nation. We won the case. I won the case at the I had to take it to Supreme Court.
Speaker 3: So the case was about the strata titles legislation. Yep. So this only applies to strata title buildings.
Speaker 4: Strata schemes and property yep. Yeah, and it has it's.
Speaker 1: What was the outcome of the case.
Speaker 4: So the outcome of the case was about by law. So its well beyond pets and this is can I just take care? It was generally so what I loved and I really want to put this out there because I think it's a strong thing. I embrace being underestimated. I love it because the people that underestimate you, generally, they've just demonstrated how lazy they are in trying to understand what makes you tip, what drives you, and that's what happens. It's happened to me most of my life. But with this case, it was so predictable. They had no idea what I was fighting for. Even the media made it all about angus, which was great. They won't mean about it, but it was like, oh, you know, she's fighting for a.
Speaker 1: Cute little dog.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, I have these you know, people emailing me or on the street. Oh you know, I've had thirty years in law. We're going to let the Supreme Court deal with you. Great, that's also what I'm hoping and counting on. You know, they were so blind with rage they couldn't see passed that there.
Speaker 1: Was no rationality.
Speaker 4: They totally missed the whole fact that I wasn't fighting just for angers. I was changing the whole damn system. Because for me, this wasn't about a dog. It was very evident early on it wasn't about angers. It was about an abuse of power. When I went I went to see an email. As many politicians as you can imagine, I sent them videos and photos and emails of my abuse, trying to demonstrate this is.
Speaker 1: Not about a dog. Didn't even step up. No, not one, not one. What about council. Council came on beoreing. Surely Clovermore would step up and.
Speaker 2: Say, look, I I'm going to fight for this woman.
Speaker 4: No, no, she didn't. The only credit I will give Clover was through Christine Foster. So I started the first E petition in New South Wales. Because we were going through COVID and we only had the paper petitions. I lobbied Gladys at the time we got e petitions in, I put the first one in. I needed support with this petition. I need twenty thousand signatures. Again, so if you anyone can create any petition, you get twenty thousand signatures and they have to bring it up in Parliament. So my strategy was this, I can say it now, and this is what I mean by being underestimated. You know, I had three things going on. I had my eye on a petition. I had the court system going which they initiated. A lot of people accused me of initiating court.
Speaker 3: They took you to court.
Speaker 1: They took me to court. I tried to warn them. I actually said to them, let's not go down this path. But anyway, so they were seeking.
Speaker 4: A declaration, they were seeking to have me basically. So by the time we got to court, so it was a few years in. I did bring Angus in openly though I said to them I'm bringing him in this is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: So the court case.
Speaker 4: And then I had my eye on any bill that was being presented in Parliament to put an amendment in, to try and get it in that way because I thought I didn't know. I didn't know what was going to come through for me. I was getting no support. Me and my husband were funding this. You can only imagine. Our legal bills started in the last quart of twenty fifteen, and the first one and the last one was I think the first quarter of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Wow, do the mats. It wasn't cheap.
Speaker 4: I had no you know, somebody bankrolling me as rumors went around and it was crazy. So I had to I had to have some strategy going on, which thankfully I'm good at. So I had all these things going on. We didn't get the twenty thousand for the petition. Christine Foster did take my.
Speaker 1: Petitions to Coster. She was a counselor. She's from she's on the couch. She was in the Council at the time, a voted member of the council. Yes, voted member of council.
Speaker 4: And you know, I'm very thankful for her because she did take it to council and Clover did vote in favor of that, however, but.
Speaker 3: It's a state legislation though, was a state gonment legislation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it was just about getting for me. It was about getting that petition out there to as many people's hope you get the signatures. It was token and I'll tell you why. I emailed her after saying, now, I think the City of Sydney's page had something like two hundred thousand plus followers or members. She had shared it on her own page, which had way less. So I emailed her or contacted the office I can't remember. I said, I really really appreciate if you could push this out a bit further.
Speaker 1: I need twenty thousand citig natures. That was the end of that.
Speaker 4: She never did anything else, and I mean, you can edit this out, but her and Alex Greenwich have a very strong alliance, and he was not supporting me in any way because he has a strong alliance unfortunately with my building.
Speaker 1: Right has he lived there? No.
Speaker 4: They held fundraisers for him, and this is all public record. They volunteered for him. I went and saw him three times and my opening statement to him was, I know you have a relationship with my building.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to give you the benefit of the.
Speaker 4: Doubt that I'm one of your constituents and I need help. And he basically went around telling people he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Have to support me. So he's a local independent MP state member for this area Sydney, Sydney.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, and he is the standing independent member.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, yeap.
Speaker 1: So we don't have a labor or liberal, we have an independence.
Speaker 4: We have an independent so called independent as I like to say, and I stand by that, and I've put it all over publicly. I have no respect for him because he had multiple opportunities to step up, and a lot of people will say, well, he doesn't have to support you. Absolutely, he does not have to support me. Be honest about it. Because when I won, I tell you, he was one of the first to get involved and say how he was responsible for fixing pets in strata and I thought, you have got to be kidding me, You have actually got to be kidding me. I actually wrote to his office to say, where can I send my legal bills if he was responsible, because I didn't remember him sitting next to me in.
Speaker 1: The Supreme Court. We're not drawing checks, not drawing checks, not doing anything.
Speaker 4: And my issue with that is I am somewhat of a resilient personality and when I'm asked why I fight cases like is imagine just imagine if this was the response somebody got to an innocent question because I didn't come at it with any malice. Imagine if it was someone who was just on the knife's head. The damage that this behavior does to people.
Speaker 1: I know firsthand.
Speaker 3: It's traumatic.
Speaker 4: It's traumatic and sometimes leads to tragedy. And I'm sick of it. I'm just sick of it.
Speaker 1: You're calling it out.
Speaker 3: So what was it? I'm going to go to the break. But what was the outcome?
Speaker 1: Joe like? So the outcome was that? Sorry, what the outcome was?
Speaker 3: Not only in relationships?
Speaker 2: But now what is it? What is it?
Speaker 4: So they have restrictions, There are restrictions on what bylaws any scheme can make. So that's what should have happened to begin with. Because the Strata legislation is very clunky, it's all over the place. It needs to be ripped up and started again with. People have got some brains. But basically just because the majority voted for it, which in my case, it wasn't. It was a majority who turned up to vote, which was the minority. Doesn't matter if the majority vote for it. If it doesn't meet regulations and broader laws, it's not a law.
Speaker 2: It's not a bylaw, right. So so just so I'm clear on this, a bye law can't be made in relation to how you live your life in your home, inside.
Speaker 1: Your your in your building. It cannot restrict your property rights, right, and which sort of makes sense. So that's so going back to.
Speaker 4: Where I did get side rights. Sorry, it's so much to this story. When I said they weren't paying attention. What I was fighting for was property rights.
Speaker 1: Yep, So that was my angle.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go property rights. I know we have proper property rights. People think that just because you're in strata, you give up your property rights. And thank god, my judgment was very well written. Thank you to the three judges unanimous vote. You can live your life, just don't be disrespectful to your neighbor, right, Really, that's the crux of it, and.
Speaker 2: That makes sense to and I'm glad to see the court system brought out some common sense.
Speaker 1: They did. Let's go to break and it came straight back.
Speaker 3: And I want to talk about your good the good worry business.
Speaker 1: We're back here. I'm doing it to Joe Kuber.
Speaker 2: She just took us through how she got the good result in relation to the amendment or the interpretation of the legislation by the court system, in relation to her petition to the court, that is being that the by laws should not be allowed to exclude what you do withinside your property. In her case, it was having a dog. But it's a broad brought much broader principle. And I guess what's really important out of all this, Joe, is that sometimes you've got to stand up, not sometimes. It'd be great if every time that if something there was a good discussion, a fair debate, that you could have a fair debate without being bullied from one side. And maybe that's sort of what you're talking about here when you talk about the good warrior, that your mission and being the good warrior. It's about you know, you who talks about this or stuff, But it's about people being able to prosecute what they truly believe in in a proper, valuable debating environment without being sort of stood over or outvoted in a stitched up way by people who have their agenda already determined. Absolutely absolutely, and there's no you know, because in a body corporate situation, for example, there's no judge, no one's there. You don't have an independent arbiter sitting there. Arbitrator, I should say, you don't have an independent arbitrator. It's they have already made the decision and you put up your point of view, but they said no, sorry, it's not going to happen. And that sort of and because it's funny, you know how this works, and society works this way, but it's funny people sort of appoint themselves as politicians in these environments and because they've got agendas, and a lot of times the agenda is just about power. I want to have power in this place, make sure that this place is run the way I want it to be run. It's not a democratic system, not at all. There's no democracy work. But how much of that is a response to the fact that a lot of people in Australia who live in austra environments are apathetic and that they just say, oh fuck it, I don't want to vote for this.
Speaker 1: I don't give a shit what they do. Let them do whatever they want.
Speaker 2: I mean, is there a bit of people take advantage of the apathy of all the other members of the building.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, Apathy is a is a big part of the problem.
Speaker 4: So all we always know the people abusing power, we usually criticize those holding them to account, and we ignore the middle and that's where I focus on and the middle east silent bystanders.
Speaker 2: I call them the These are the people stood by watching you get dragged along by the count.
Speaker 1: They're the majority.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they are the silent majority who sit there, and my focus is on them because of multiple reasons. I want to mobilize them to one believe in the power of their voice to speak up, because like most things, it's a numbers game. This situation could have been sorted out if most people actual He turned up and said, you know, this is ludicrous. You're spending our strike money. They didn't fear the intimidation of this building, and many, not just this many. It's mind blowing to actually believe this is happening in Australia, to be honest, the fear of being outcast. I had a man who I was with Angus, and I walked into to the lift and he looked at me white man in his fifties, and I say that for a reason, and he.
Speaker 1: Looks at me.
Speaker 4: You know you have my sympathies. And I looked at him and I said, I don't want your sympathy. I want your vote, Like, just give me a piece of paper. And he went, I don't want to be marked. And at that point, it was years in and I'm trying to avoid an appeal. So I had won my first case and they appealed that decision, and I said to I'm just giving my vote. You know it will save us all a lot of time and money. He said, I don't want to be marked. And I looked at him.
Speaker 1: I said, are you joking me?
Speaker 4: You're a fifty year old mid fifty year old man in a building that is so racist. You're scared of being marked. What do you think I'm going through? He just looked at me because I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I just can't. And that's the mentality of a lot of them, the others, because he's got there's nothing in for him. But can I tell you about this man?
Speaker 4: A week after I won, he bought it a dog and he can't look at me in the eyes. At the moment, I've not said anything. I've not made him feel terrible, but he just can't look at me, and I think to myself, so here I am being made to feel less than in this world. My mother stopped coming to visit because you know, she's darker than me, and she's very timid lady, and you know they would steer her down and make her feel.
Speaker 1: Disgusting, so she stopped visiting.
Speaker 3: What nationality North African?
Speaker 1: So my mum's Egyptian. My dad was Sudanese, right, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: Why brown, Yeah what they call today brown?
Speaker 2: Whatever? You know.
Speaker 1: I love my skin. I don't I don't care.
Speaker 2: Do you know. I've had journalists right about the color of my skin really yeah, like uber tanned. And I don't even go on the sun, like I never do this. I'm going to go and send if I have a runner. I don't sit around some bake and a shit that. I'm way too old for that stuff.
Speaker 3: And I'm also too vain.
Speaker 1: I'm too vain.
Speaker 2: I don't want the skin to be ruined bad enough as it is. But I had someone right about that in a very important publication Australia. Like I just couldn't believe some would actually say that about me.
Speaker 1: But that's what matters now. And you look and by the way, you know, like I could have.
Speaker 2: Taken the person to task with their you know, with the executives of the organization for a form of racism at or at least having to go with me about my skin color in a public environment.
Speaker 3: And you're right, that sort of stuff does happen.
Speaker 2: As much as incredulous as it seems, that sort of stuff does happen, It's probably happens more often now.
Speaker 1: Even though we all talk about.
Speaker 2: You know, we do our our sort of signaling saying, well, you know, where inclusive and you know, diverse and all that sort of stuff, sometimes the people are saying that are actually some of the worst people.
Speaker 4: Hundred I agree with you on that they're full of shit yeah yeah, and a kicker box.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And we don't sort of let everybody exist in a nice, happy, peaceful, enjoyable environment.
Speaker 3: And I agree, like, you know, you're right. What I doing some on my apartment funk off.
Speaker 4: It's my bisiness unless I'm consistently annoying you. I'm not talking about the one off parties because we have to live, right, It's it's life, you know, that moving into a close community if it's consistent. And I stood up in a meeting and I said it, you know, what are we fighting for? You know, let's just sit down. I gave them so many opportunities with a better outcome for them than they have now, because now we have this mountain. What are they Burmese dogs a big We've got one of them in the lift. He made my day the other day.
Speaker 2: They're cool, they're cool, but a lot of those don't bark as much as smaller dogs.
Speaker 1: By the way, absolutely absolutely so.
Speaker 4: Now we have all these pets that have come out, We've got new dogs, you know, and they are just on edge about it.
Speaker 1: But it's like I.
Speaker 4: Offered you so many solutions, weight restraints, you know, type of dog.
Speaker 1: They don't have control of that anymore.
Speaker 2: Just you know, it's funny, you know, sometimes I wonder to myself, there could be just one person who doesn't like the idea, absolutely, but that one person has power or contacts within the organization makes the decision, and it could have and they could have political connections as well, who can actually turn the tide for a whole building. In the case where you're talk about three ended people So it could be just one person who doesn't like either the color of your skin, or doesn't like the fact that you're a person with you're seeing color, has a dog, or doesn't like the fact you're a female with a dog, or it doesn't like like the fact that you're a and you're going to stand up to them, doesn't like that fact, and they're prepared to influence the outcomes for the whole for the whole community, for the whole community. And even worse than that, are prepared for that strata team, that that strata scheme to spend money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that could have fighting you. Yeah, yeah, and I was fighting myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Conte, you have to concurbage to the same thing.
Speaker 2: But like sometimes it's quite unbelieva that one person or two people gang up together, go and have a coffee and say, let's get this bitch. Yeah, let's let's get the body corporate to.
Speaker 1: Take her on. By the way, it happens in councils, happens, it happens across the board. Absolutely. What does the good warrior say to that? Enough, No, we have to get better at calling it out.
Speaker 2: We have to.
Speaker 4: And when I say that this culture thrives because of silence. I'm not It's not an exaggeration. They rely on people being silent. It's in everything people that you know physically is violence, domestic violence, you know.
Speaker 1: Someone will know about it, someone saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, think about let's go back to Okay, I'll give you my example. My first boyfriend that put me in hospital. It was only after he put me in hospital that people you never really liked him. Yeah, that's great, thanks for telling me. Now it's too late. So, and we have this habit in society. You know, we wait for things to be either popular or a crisis to jump on board, or we wait for something somebody to be, you know, a high profile before we get.
Speaker 2: Behind them, or we get these as to take a side, correct and say someone like you if it's not you, if it's just someone who's a little bit more mild and meek. Example, they don't ask anyone to take a side, whereas the people who are powerful, So I need you to take aside, absolutely, and people should have I feel compelled Toby to take someone so side. So this business are taking sides only works in favor of the people who are the most powerful, who are pressing the people who are most powerful are the ones to get the side, the side takers.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so they've got the bystanders. You talk about the biys sayers at the very beginning, yep.
Speaker 2: They then there is somebody saying it goes on as by sentence says, out of the twenty five people there, I want you to take a side. It's usually the people people without the power never asked that question. No, So your your mission is to get people to take the side of the less powerful, yes, and become more powerful, to.
Speaker 4: Become Look our individual voices. I will always say this. One thing that shocked me through this process is even people that were sort.
Speaker 1: Of on the fence.
Speaker 4: You know, you're one person, like, just give it a rest, love, Okay, Since when did we give up on the power of our voice?
Speaker 1: You know, it all starts with people power. Sometimes annoys me, but we have given up on the power of people power. We have, absolutely and I want to bring that back, you know, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I'm more for that.
Speaker 2: People power, like to me, is the most important thing, and unfortunately the world is getting there's too few groups and a few banks and if you're insurance companies and a few miners only a few phone for companies, only a few blah blah blah everything, and they're getting more powerful and more powerful and more powerful. And then you can and in microsystems like for example, where you live, it's the same sort of thing. So there's a powerful group in your in your building. And by the way, this process cuts across just about everything that we do in our lives. Yes, and unfortunately, the people are getting pushed down like you wouldn't believe.
Speaker 4: I have a woman that I was dealing with a few months ago. I try and help as many people as I can, and it gets hard. And that's why I'm the Good Worry. I'm hoping to expand as big as possible for me. I'd like it to go globald, like it to be a place where somebody is so intimidated and they think I have nowhere to go. Oh the Good Worry, if they'll help me, That's that's my aim. Because we have in our society, in our community, we have people walking around that could achieve so much if they just had a little support and just a little encouragement, and they would give back to the community tenfold. But they just don't have that support or opportunity, and they've either been downtrodden, they've been intimidated.
Speaker 1: You know, we have the power to change our politics, our society. We have that power.
Speaker 4: One thing that I cannot believe people said to me is, oh, how do you contact government? Can you speak to politicians?
Speaker 1: Yes, you can. You can challenge them, especially if there's numbers in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that was a real wake up call to me because I'm thinking, Oh, people really don't know that you can challenge authority. It's your duty to challenge authority. I mean, that's how I was raised. My father was I'm very much my father's child. And I do remember something that he said to me, which is why I have these set of principles in my life. And it makes it really easy to make decisions. It doesn't mean the path or the decision I've made is the easy one, but it's to do what's right now, what's easy. And it was something around you know. So he was Sudanese and I don't know if you know much about Sudan Usually most people don't. It's not a great country. But he has memories when he was young of being okay, and he said, at one point, I cannot remember the whole situation, but he said, you know, Sudan didn't happen overnight. It was because people didn't challenge anything. And that has forever stuck with me because and by the way, I've always been like this. I cannot remember being any other way. You know, in school, if somebody was getting bullied, I would jump in down the road. Here, there's lots of issues.
Speaker 1: I don't think and don't do that.
Speaker 2: You know, you do.
Speaker 1: Look at the environment you're in.
Speaker 4: But I am very reactive to helping people when they're being hurt. I'm a very passionate and intense personality, and sometimes I'm criticized for that, but I believe that it's the same passion and intensity that also helps people.
Speaker 1: So you've got to stand for something. So the good Warrior, I'm going to have to sorry.
Speaker 2: But in terms of the good Warrior, what would you like to say about people who are listening to this who maybe have going through the similar sort of issues or just curious where do they go?
Speaker 1: Where do they go to the Do you have a website?
Speaker 4: I have a website, so website with an email address the good Warrior dot com dot au. Uh, there's lots of information on there. I get booked for keynotes for workshops, one on ones, intro phone call. I want people to start believing in their power. I want them to understand that, yes, there are always going to be abusers, that there are, but we do have the power to decrease the numbers, and we have the power to call them out. And I'll harp on about that all the time. The only way we're going to win this fight on bullying and abuse is to make them known. You know, we have all these laws about concealing people who hurt people. Why that's you know, I don't believe the protected.
Speaker 2: They say they're protecting the victims, but at the same time they're protecting the individual who's caused the problem for the victim.
Speaker 1: I just I don't get that. Fuck them, call them out, Yeah, call them, cause that's the only way.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I was told once, you're very revengeful, and I said, how so you've got to stop calling people out. That's not revengeful, that's just I said, that's that's actually prevention.
Speaker 1: That's just been real though. Yeah, but it's prevention. Because I'm sorry, you can rely on karma if you like. That's a lazy excuse, but by calling them out, you've.
Speaker 4: Actually potentially stopped them from doing the same thing to I don't know how many other people. And that's my driver. It's not about revenge for me, and quite frankly, I could have a better life not dealing with this because it's not it's not fun, it's not sexy. But I have a passion for good people and I want to see them thrive, and I want to I want to see them take their power back, and ultimately I want to crush bullies because I really detest them.
Speaker 1: Joe Cooper, sorry, sorry, Joe Kuber.
Speaker 2: Good on you for creating the good warrior, but also good on if for putting on a good fight and not enough people around for me, Not enough people around these days with passion, drive, energy, and probably more important, commitment to a cause and sometimes a thankless cause to a cause.
Speaker 1: So well done, Thank you. Can I tell you one more thing? Did you?
Speaker 4: My case was just voted number six out of ten for the most influential court cases in the twenty first.
Speaker 3: Century on the planet or in Australia.
Speaker 1: I think in Australia.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's I was pretty tough to be that because I was like, Okay, it's not got it's not received that much recognition.
Speaker 2: Sooner and you're going to go into a law degree and become you're going to be. I can see if you sort of be coming out a lawyer prosecuting.
Speaker 1: For all those my dad wanted me to be a lawyer. I want, but I can sort of see it happening. Thanks Jock, Thank you Mark, Thanks
Speaker 5: Intimat intimate, Intimate,