Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That, The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mama TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube, podcast books, Instagram threads, TikTok and more. Hello Kanna, Good morning Canna. Today we're talking something a little bit different. This is actually going to be a lot of fun. I suspect we are talking about your financial personality because most people genuinely aren't bad with money, They just approach it in a certain way. And once you understand how you approach money, things start to make sense.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's the theory that I'm operating on for this episode, and I'm hoping that it's going to be correct. Do you believe that people do have distinct financial personalities?
Speaker 2: You do? Want to be really honest. When I first heard about this, likeinancial personality, like my eyes.
Speaker 1: Rolled, what you would never roll your eyes?
Speaker 2: But then I realized actually developed by various psychologists and also a framework I believe within the Maya Briggs Company as well, So this has got some significant research and experts behind it. So after looking into it and seeing where I fit, my kids even fit you know, Tom fits, I do actually think these personalities, I guess pigeonholing these different personalities in life around money definitely have value and people. You can start to see some really distinct characteristics and habits and even people's natural reactions that do actually fit within these. I guess you're almost like the financial staff scigns.
Speaker 1: What I love about this is it's very much like doing a quiz in a magazine, which which financial personality are you and today? Actually that's a very old school reference to make, because no one does quizzes in magazines like that. It is now going to be on Facebook or Instagram where you take a quiz and figure out which personality type you are. So we're going to do that. We've got five different financial personalities and as you're listening, you might kind of go, actually, that is me. I am one of these. But just quickly, before we get into it, how much of your financial personality do you think it actually learned? Do you how much is inherited? Do you get it from your parents, your environment, kind of early experiences. Where do these things come from?
Speaker 2: I think a lot is learned and our earliest experiences with money are, more often than not, you know, come from our childhood, which was often our parents. So the way our parents talked about money, you know, whether there was money or not, or whether there was money all the time or it was very volatile in some situations, you know, the way that parents would talk about money. You know, all of these things impact our money personality. And then it also includes dealing with you know, how parents dealt with financially stressful times. So this really does help form our I guess, grounding of personalities when it comes to money and how we react to money, and how we treat money and how we look at money for the future.
Speaker 1: Let's get into the personality types. Give us the first one.
Speaker 2: The avoid So this is someone who buries their head in the sand. Yes, no, they find money very stressful and very overwhelming. So therefore they just completely disengage from it. You know, they don't open their mail, they don't look at their bank statements, they definitely don't have a budget.
Speaker 1: Oh gos, so I'm not this thing. You're actually shuddering as you say this, I'm assuming superannuation wouldn't get much of a look in.
Speaker 2: It's just none whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Accumulating in the background rather than being actively kind of managed.
Speaker 2: And if the subject of like money or budgeting or investing, or where someone's talking about money, it feels they're riddle with anxiety. So the problem with the avoid is they tend to let financial problems compound over time. So they might have a little bit of debt, and because they continue to ignore it and avoid it, obviously that debt, especially if with interest rates of credit card sometimes around twenty two percent, it gets bigger and bigger. And this is where things can become, you know, bigger than ben her. They are insurmountable. Well can feel like it's insurmountable, and this is when things spiral out of control.
Speaker 1: Because though we are not all about the negativity here, no, every personality type does have its own strengths.
Speaker 2: It does the ying and the yang. So interestingly, though, avoiders can also be very conservative with money, and they can really benefit from some basic financial literacy, like really simple things like, for example, you know how to have a budget, how to have emergency money. And this is the group that will avoid taking silly, high risk decisions, particularly around you say, investing. Okay, so their strength, their superpower here is probably caution, and they will still progress financial, but they more of that consistent, slow, steady progression.
Speaker 1: So it feels like that can be kind of turbocharged by kind of use that caution to not go and make silly decisions. But with a little bit more engagement with your money, you can actually turn that into a superpower and get involved in your superannuation. Perhaps start investing cautiously, yes, but use it to your advantage exactly. Okay, I like that. The avoid that's number one. Number two, what is it?
Speaker 2: The optimizer?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: So this is actually this is classic tom My partner. So the optimizer loves numbers, and they like the spreadsheets, They love doing research. They love you know, comparing, for example, different energy providers, you know, switching utilities, negotiating rates.
Speaker 1: That's not Tom, that's you.
Speaker 2: No, No, this is Tom to a tea. I even had a bit of a giggle with him last night about this. So the strength here is discipline. They're very very focused, almost like a hyper focus, and strategic thinking, and they do make great meaningful financial decisions and see that and feel that financial progress in their lives. You know, they'll do the what if scenario, play a bit of Devil's Advocate, and really analyze everything before they actually pull the trigger. But this is the downsize of the optimizer is sometimes they can actually waste so much time and get a bit of analysis paralysis that they can never actually finally go all right, let's do this, or if they do finally say let's do this, that opportunity is past and they've actually ended up missing out completely.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the strength there is that they are quite strategic and great at research and pulling together all of the information, but they can get bogged down in it and just focus too much on the analysis and in the end perhaps not make a decision, or if they do, not in a timely manner.
Speaker 2: So they do their great at analyzing everything and making sure it's informed an educated decision, which is essential, but at the same time they could end up being their own their worst enemy because they don't actually get to actually do it, and they've potentially wasted some time and start all over again.
Speaker 1: I have a theory that everyone has at least one friend that is a spreadsheet nut right, And if you think about everyone that you know, there is someone in your life that spends an excessive amount of time in spreadsheets. And I'm thinking in particular of someone that we've spoken to on this podcast before, Adam Lange from Fear and Greed. Absolute spreadsheet enthusiast, fantastic, Like you can take anything and turn it into a spreadsheet that in fact is a superpower.
Speaker 2: That is a superpower.
Speaker 1: Does that mean though, that if you are doing that for everything, how do you just how do you convert that attention to detail and that ability to analyze into that superpower and actually go okay, I'm not going to get held back by analysis paralysis. How do you then go.
Speaker 2: Shift into like implementation if you like, yes, okay. So this is where you almost need a deadline where you draw a line in the sand and go, okay, I'm going to make a decision by the end of this week either way. So you put a put of healthy pressure on yourself to actually step up and do something or not. And this is why you know there's a lot of value in the momentum of your financial journey. You can spend a whole year deciding as to whether to buy your stock or not. So set a plan to go. You know what, I'm going to buy stock every single month, and that's the goal, and that's the momentum. You've got to maintain.
Speaker 1: And you have fine to do the research and use your spreadsheet and to analyze it, but commit to action as well.
Speaker 2: Give it yourself a healthy deadline. Okay, put a bit of pressure on.
Speaker 1: Yourself, all right. That is the first two, the avoider and the optimizer. What is the third financial personality type?
Speaker 2: The yolo? Who should I found like such a dog trying to say that cool? But theo I'm so not a yolo person, So I would say my middle child Apple is definitely a yollow. So these other people who like fly by the seed of their pants, you know, they love to spend money, They prioritize expenses, you know, living life. They're not obsessed with the future. In fact, I don't think they think too much about it, and they just really have faith that everything's going to work out perfectly. And obviously the danger of that is that life doesn't always work out perfectly because they are not prepared for those emergencies that do happen as a natural part of life, and sometimes they can only realize that they have perhaps been a little bit frivolous until it's a bit too late. Not that it's ever too late, but you know, when it comes really close to say something like retirement or you know, deciding one day I want to buy a home, then you realize you've been blowing money for the last thirty five years. So there is a superpower within this, so I promise go on. So the strength behind this is they have a very healthy I don't always say admirable, admirable attitude towards money. They don't carry that heavy load. So they don't carry, you know, the guilt or the shame or the embarrassment around spending because they really value the way that they spend money. It gives them a huge sense of fulfillment, which actually is a really important part of living a balanced life, you know, having a healthy mindset where you can enjoy spending your money as well as of course enjoy investing and saving and paying down debt.
Speaker 1: And they're a fun person to hang around with exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, who doesn't want to live vicariously through that friend that just spends lots of money?
Speaker 1: And so the risk. There is obviously that they may be underprepared for what may come. But along the way, they're going to have a heck of a good time.
Speaker 2: No fabulous like the wonderful memories, but having just maybe perhaps a really simple financial structure in place, you know, such as a budget, maybe some concrete goals that really light them up and make them excited and be able to incorporate a sense of balance where they can spend their money. But they also can maybe think about reframing things where they also spend their money perhaps on investments and spend their money on superinneation. So it kind of fits into their personality by reframing.
Speaker 1: I like that. That's a fun one. The Yolo spender based entirely on their principle that you only live once. You may as well have a good time while they're doing it. But there's also a long period of time when you may be in retirement and you want to live that part of your life really well as well. Right, So that's how you kind of take that potentially a weakness, turn it into a superpower and turbocharge exactly. All right. That is three down, two to go, very quick break, and we are going to get into the rest of them. Cana. We are talking today about financial personalities. We have covered the avoid the optimizer that is a spreadsheet lover, the yolo spender that just really kind of prioritizes those experiences without obsessing over what is going to happen in the future. We've got a couple more still to go, and I want to kind of really getting this idea of whether your personality can help you or can hinder you in your financial growth. What's the fourth character.
Speaker 2: The security seeker. So these people really do value stability and safety above everything else, so they will maintain emergency money, sometimes excessive emergency money. They prefer low risk investments like you know, turn deposits, fixed interest, and they feel really safe and secure knowing that they've got all their buffers in place, and you know, across pretty much their budget, their savings, their holiday savings. They've completely built this like safety net around them at all times and they sort of cling onto it for dealer life. And their strength definitely here. Their superpower is financial resilience. So you know, they can handle the financial shocks better than anyone else, and you know they can obviously calmly react and because they've got these great buffers in place. You know, when things do happen, it doesn't really knock them off their feet, and they're able to sort of continue on swimming into the sunset. But obviously the downside of this is that they can actually it's detrimental and that they are too cautious. They miss out on those opportunities to actually get their money working for them through stepping not out of their comfort zone, but perhaps using intelligent risks to help improve the quality of their investments, the diversification and that long term compounding growth that is particularly important when you think about inflation over the long run.
Speaker 1: It feels as though, if, as you just put it, if they spend their time swimming off into the sunset, it feels like they might have a bit of a high risk attitude. Anyway, Sorry, who knows where they're going to end up swimming off into the sunset.
Speaker 2: Sailing off and not swinging So I got my words.
Speaker 1: This is where they get that buzz just swimming off into the sunset. They don't know where they're going to end up, going to drift to New Zealand today.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously they are risk averse.
Speaker 1: They are They are they're doing it with floaties on. Okay, so the risk there is that they're going to to perhaps be too conservative, miss those growth opportunities along the way. But at the same time they're going to be pretty calm about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they will. They'll be better off because they have built this these financial safety nets. But where they can really improve their superpower is actually just simple financial education. Understanding all the different asset classes, Understanding the impact of looking at a long term timeframe, Understanding the impact of inflation over the long run, Understanding the power of passive income of how capital growth increases your passive income over time. You know, also the strategic side of planning your money wisely as well. You're not having, for example, all of your money in savings when you could potentially have superannuation as well, helping you save tax, which is equivalent of zero risk involved when you're strategically using that type of asset class.
Speaker 1: I know we're stiuilding structure. I know we still have another category to get to, but before we do that, I just want to know the value of a financial planner, someone to advise you in this, to help you kind of bridge the gap from one financial characteristic to another because a security seeker sounds like they've they've got themselves sorted, they have got that kind of covered. They know that they're going to be kind of safe for a long time. But a financial planner can show them how they can maybe pursue a little bit more growth, a little bit higher returned without trading off too much of that security.
Speaker 2: Right. Yes, And look, you know, no financial planner will ever let you go and do something that you don't understand or they're not comfortable that you're comfortable with. You're not allowed to and you have to sign a whole part of documentation and that financial planner is then legally liable. So it's taken very very seriously. But I will say this quite often with the security seeker, they will not realize the impact and cost to them of being so conservative with money until quite further down the track. It's not until they've seen the eroding effects of their conservative investments and safety nets that they start thinking, oh my gosh, I now need to get help. So what I would say to anyone that feels like that they identify with this group is don't be afraid to go and get some financial advice and a financial planner. A good financial planner will guide you and will not push you out of your comfort zone. But perhaps it's a slow, steady journey where you include a little bit more shares in your portfolio or a little bit more property. We start to vary very slowly and almost organically diversify as passive income comes in and builds up. So it's not like you're going to just be thrown into the deep end. That's not what it's about. And you know people's you know, I think risk profiles really do change depending on what's happened to them. You know their situation and their goals, and you know, it's it's natural to evolve and move, but whatever you do should be a smart, intelligent move and not just be based upon fear.
Speaker 1: All right, one last one, what is it? This is our fifth financial personality.
Speaker 2: It is the quiet accumulator. I like to close the dark horse. So the quiet accumulator is often the most powerful financial personality over the long run. So they are very consistent, they are very diligent. They say they pay down debt, they invest without sort of making feeling the need to be validated or to get attention. And they're very patient, and they are really focused on their long term game plan.
Speaker 1: This is you, isn't it?
Speaker 2: It is yes, and it is it is me to a t. And they the risk to this because it sounds fabulous and wonderful. But and I can agree with this because I have felt this so many times. But the risk is this group sometimes becomes so incredibly absorbed and focused on the accumulation and working hard and staying focused and consistent that they actually forget to enjoy their money in the meantime in the present. And you know, it's that's the kind of sad part of this is, you know, we come to this planet with nothing, when we live with nothing, so we want to make sure we also enjoy a really healthy, happy balance at the same time with that money.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense, So that the risk there is just that you may prioritize the growth of your money too much not enjoy it along the way. But at the same time you are going to be setting yourself up well. It feels like there is a very strong fire component.
Speaker 2: To this, definitely, and I think you know, there's also that risk of you start to only really enjoy life lay it further down the track, which obviously is about fire, but you know, maybe perhaps when you're old and not as healthier to be able to enjoy the money.
Speaker 1: We are pretty much out of time. But I just wanted to know in a couple, when you have financial personalities in a household and they are different, is that a strength or is that a weakness or is it just a potential conflict?
Speaker 2: So great question. I don't think there was very rare to see a couple with the same person money personality. Okay, I've only come across it probably a couple of times. Most couples have different And if you can understand your partner's money personality, like you know, I am the I I was quite accumulator and Tom is the optimizer, you can you learn how to actually communicate better. You understand their values, you understand their financial love language, so you can actually start working together as a team and you respect each other's boundaries, and you can start to have really healthy compromises on certain financial decisions and work together more as a team. So I think it's definitely worth investing time understanding where your financial personality lies, but also your other family members as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, guess which financial personality I am.
Speaker 2: I I would have gone with the optimizer, but then, yeah, I'm going to go with the optimizer. I think you're a bit there's a bit of tom there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're right, But I'm a little ashamed to admit that I think that might be a hybrid of two of them.
Speaker 2: Well, ham, let me guess what your hybrid is. I'm going to say you are the security seeker.
Speaker 1: No, I am the optimizer combined with the avoider.
Speaker 2: Damn, why did I picked that? I should have thought that you cause, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because I for a very long time have had my head in the sand on various pasts. But and it has made me very conservative in the way.
Speaker 2: We're actually a bit of a rainbow of these.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, yep. I mix a lot of different types, which this is why I find this fascinating, that it's almost kind of rare to find someone who would fit entirely, I think into one category.
Speaker 2: And I do think there are seasons of your life where you do dip into one more than the other, and you know, you do evolve and change over time. But I will say this, you know your financial personality is not something ever to judge. There's no wrong or right personality here, and it is something. It is a tool to be used to help understand yourself on a deeper level around money. And if you can understand your natural reaction and tendencies around money, you can actually start having Because you've got that awareness, you can actually start taking action and building the systems and the habits that can actually help you with your financial journey and actually work with you, not against you. So I really think investing a bit of time doing this is actually worthwhile. Even though I initially my eyes were rolling what I heard about this a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Ago, this has been great fun because I'm just thinking as well at home Sean is I was just gonna hate me saying this, but she is category three the yolo spender, which is an interesting clash then with the avoider slash optimizer that I am, but could also be a strength.
Speaker 2: Right. Look, if you're working together as a team and you are kicking goals and you're actually are enjoying the journey, your financial journey, I think you're heading in the right direction.
Speaker 1: That's a lovely way to finish it. Now the letter. I still feel bad about the fact that very early in the how Do They Afford That? Journey? We did an interview with the national newspaper you and I did, and the very first line of that article that ran in newspapers in every capital city talks about Michael Thompson and his splurging wife Shan and I found it again the other day and I showed it to it. He goes you described to me as splurging.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably, I'm sorry. I'm sorry, but it's one of those things. Once you say it to a reporter, it's on the record, right, yeah, God delete, That's so true? All right? Can where do we find you if we want more information?
Speaker 2: If you ever want to reach out to me, the best place is on Instagram at sugar on my TV.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business News. You can use. Thank you for listening to How Do They Afford That? Remember to hit follow on the podcast and tell somebody else about the show. Please. The best thing that you can actually do is send them a link to this episode, especially if you're curious to find out what they think. Therefore, a financial personality might be thank you very much for your company join us again next week.