Speaker 1: This is Business Now with Edward Boyd.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm welcome to Business Now. Thanks for your company. I'm Edward Boyd. Coming up on the program, Global markets rebound and oil prices plunge after US President Donald Trump announced a ceasefire between Israel and Iran. We'll cover the relief rally with Matt Sherwood from Perpetual and talk implications for global shipping with Tom Jensen from the Freight and Trade Alliance. Airline Virgin Australia relisted on the ASX this afternoon, more than five years after being placed into voluntary administration. Today's listing was a chance for majority owner Bank Capital to sell down a.
Speaker 3: Portion of at stake.
Speaker 2: Plus there's also been the New South Wales and Queensland state budgets today, with both treasurers focusing on hows our political reporters are standing by. That's all coming up on today's show. Let's get straight into the state budgets. The New South Wales Shadow Treasurer says tech billionaires and filmmakers are the winners of this year's state budget in New South Wales, which was light on new cost of living relief. New South Wales political reporter Julia Bradley has the breakdown.
Speaker 3: Julia, what are the big highlights?
Speaker 4: And it was absolutely a back to basics budget this time around for Daniel Mookie his third budget. There were some centerpiece policies though announcements we have seen. Housing really takes center stage here and also child protection. So on housing, the government has unveiled a guarranteall scheme. Essentially they're wanting to put up or offering to put up a billion dollars to help get a construction of new apartment blocks up off the ground in New South Wales, so developers don't need to get that fifty percent to eighty percent guarantee upfront during free sales. Instead the government is opting to cover up to fifty percent of that. So this means that we could see five thousand dwellings supported and even more in the years to come. So a five year period this would run four. Now the other big announcement, as I said, child protection a record more than one billion dollars spend and this is going to support increasing payments for foster carers, also new government owned care homes and also delivering pay rises for caseworkers. But as I said, and as you said, before light on cost of living handouts. As a treasurer about this today.
Speaker 5: The government is yet to make his final decisions on what happens with the toll cap. Is the first point i'm back, and the second point I make is that there is record levels of cost of living relief in our first two budgets that continue with this one. Initiatives like our Bulk Billing GP initiative goes on the energy support that we're partnering with the federal government to deliver is rolling out. And on top of that, we are offering additional rebates for pensioners and low income households when it comes to their water bills. But you're quite right to say we need to pair relief with.
Speaker 1: Reform winners, tech billionaires, Hollywood studios. They're winners, but the losers are families and communities.
Speaker 4: Well, the budget is still in the red. There are some bride sparks. The Treasurer of forecasting a return to surplus come twenty twenty seven. The deficit this year three point four billion dollars. We've still got some juicy revenue streams payroll tax up, stamp duty up as well. Now there will be some difficulties in getting that return to surplus. The Treasurer definitely admits that both domestic but also global pressures. Of course, we've been talking about those US tariffs, but here interesting to note just how much recovery payments have gone up for natural disasters, one thousand times more expensive than that was sixty year ago.
Speaker 3: Man, great, thank you, Julia. Let's go to Queensland now.
Speaker 2: The Treasurer of David Janetski has tried to deliver on major infrastructure requirements for the state while managing debt and assisting with cost of living pressures. State political reporter Harry Clark joins us at the end of a big day at Parliament House. Harry, how's the Queensland by the balance sheet looking.
Speaker 3: Today?
Speaker 6: Ed well, Queensland's books will remain in debt and deficit for the next four years, but Treacher with David Ganetski says it's an improved state of affairs from the midyear outlook and what would have been under the former Labor government in his first budget, he said, here has tried to address cost of living measures for Queensland while providing infrastructure for the growing state and also bring down debt which has been ballooning over recent years. I'll take you straight to some of the numbers. The operating deficit eight point six billion dollars that's for the next financial year, and the debt reaching one hundred and forty seven billion dollars in January. In the midyear Financial Economic Outlook, which Treasurer David Jenski called Labour's last budget, he the deficit was projected to reach nine point one billion dollars by twenty seven twenty eight, but that's been reduced to four point three billion dollars in today's budget and will come down to one point one billion by the end of the new forward estimates.
Speaker 3: State dead state debt in the.
Speaker 6: Midyear Budget Outlook was growing to two hundred and seventeen billion dollars in twenty seven twenty eight, but will now reach less than that one hundred and ninety that year and two hundred and five billion dollars in twenty eight twenty nine. Here is the Treasurer are bringing a bit of interstate rivalry when it comes to fiscal management.
Speaker 7: Harry on the debt figure under MYIFA at to eighteen to eighteen that's where we started. The highest debt per capita, higher than Victoria. Those budget improvements that we brought forward today twenty seven billion dollars worth of budget improvements. We've now got the debt per capita under Victoria, so we're not the worst in the country. We've brought those in movements to bear here today and it has laid the foundation.
Speaker 2: Thanks Harry Clarke. There, let's move on to our next story. Australia's second largest airline, Version Australia, really sit on the stock market this afternoon, more than five years after it was placed into voluntary administration. Bain Capital bought the airline in twenty twenty for about seven hundred million dollars and have spent years preparing the.
Speaker 3: Business for today's IPO.
Speaker 2: Now it allowed Baying to sell down about thirty percent of the shares in Virgin, raising six hundred and eighty five million dollars for the investment giant.
Speaker 8: The IPO. What it really does for us is it allows a transition of shareholders, right and so as you know, since we're not raising primary money, it's not about sort of having enough money to invest in fleet or other growth. We already have enough money. Honestly, we're bringing in sixteen planes next year. We already have all that financed and so we're not sure at a capital which is great. I think what it does is it transitioned us to a new set of long term shareholders. We're going to be with us on the next stage of the journey and continue you to back and invest us as we grow and compete.
Speaker 2: The IPO was priced at two dollars ninety per share, but when the airline began trading, it open at three dollars twelve. You can see it actually finished at three dollars twenty three, so up eleven point four percent now. Virgin appointed its chief commercial officer, Dave Emerson as CEO.
Speaker 3: In March, and he told reporters this afternoon.
Speaker 2: The airline operating today is very different to the one which went bust in twenty twenty.
Speaker 8: So we're very now focused on serving the domestic Australia market and serving the customers we can win. We're serving the small business, serving the value corporate, serving the premium leisure segment, those people who really value the product that we put out there, and we think that's going to be very successful going forward, and you can already see it in our numbers. And so we've changed the whole business model.
Speaker 3: Let's see how the stock market finished up today.
Speaker 2: The local market opened high this morning, surging after the US President Trump said on truth Social there would be a ceasefire between Israel and Iran that coused oil prices to plunge, resulting in anergy and utility stocks being sold off.
Speaker 3: Everything else was in the green, led by the banks.
Speaker 2: The market finished the day up almost one percent, and it's only one percent away from its all time record high. Here's a look at the price of Brent crude. You can see it basically fell off a cliff as soon as it became apparent the conflict in the Middle East region was starting to wind down. You can see it slumped fourteen percent in less than twenty four hours to about sixty eight US A barrel. KFC franchise operator Colin's Foods was the best performer, better than expected full year profit from them. The company operates about three hundred to eight hundred KFC outlets in Australia. It said consumer spending has been picking up in recent weeks, so you can see colin Foods up almost seventeen point four percent today. Data scrubbing stock app and was the top tech company Clinievel Pharmaceuticals up to, along with the fund manager Magellan buying our service business zip O. The tops corporate travel management outlook for the travel sectors obviously improved since the ceasefire announcement. Online retailer Cogan up as well. The pure play iron all Mine affourd to skew up almost five percent. AARB, the four wheel drive fit out company up as well, along with Comwealth Bank, which lifted to a new all time record high question is will it get to two hundred dollars within the next few weeks. Losing value included the gold miner Saint Barbara. Australia's largest oil and gas producer, Woodside, was sold off thanks to those oil prices.
Speaker 3: Viva Energy, which sells petrol.
Speaker 2: Was down to along with Origin Energy, which sells gas and produces it, and the shipbuild Ostill finished the day down almost three percent, and global markets, well, there've been rallying since the ceasefire was announced less than twelve hours ago. Here's a quick look at some of the major markets across Asia Pacific which are.
Speaker 3: Still trading as we speak.
Speaker 2: Hong Kong Hang Seng is up about two percent, Japan's nik about one percent, Koreas cost me two hundred up three point three percent, and two major markets in China up about one percent a piece. So earlier this afternoon to talk about the market reaction and the outlook for rates, I caught up with Matt Sherwood, the head of investment strategy at Perpetual.
Speaker 9: I think the ceasefire and the you know, the associated the line in oil prices really have given the market a bit more confidence that we've seen the worst of this Middle East conflict. That remains to be the case, whether you know, sorry, it remains to be seen whether that's the case. But markets generally have become more and more confident since the middle of April. And you know, this was just the latest of a long list of headwinds, but the market seemed to get over it pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the markets have really been on a real roller coaster this year. We hit record highs in February, then President Trump came out with various different tariff announcements. There was a big sell off, then things ticked up again. Now they've been a bit bumpy the past couple of days. But what do you think the turning point was in April, which really got the market back on this strong trajectory.
Speaker 9: Well, undoubtedly it was President Trump and playing Trump Put, where he was talking incredibly strong game in relation of US trade policy and what taris he was going to inflict on major trading partners, And after the market was off nearly twenty percent, all of a sudden, he booked, you know, and he said, let's get together and negotiate on giving you ninety days. And that really gave the market some confidence that they, you know, we were passing the point of maximum risk for several thematics which I think had worried investors and dog price is really in the first half of the year. And you know, they included cuts to US spending, US government spending in the wake of the DOGE, you know, lower immigration intake with tightenings of rules, you know, reduced AI capix, you know, not.
Speaker 10: To mention the increase in tarifts itself.
Speaker 9: So markets were pretty worried about the outlook. But the fact that the Trump Put was played I think gave everyone pause for thought that even if the Fed doesn't need policy, Trump's not going to go as hard. Then all of a sudden there was big capital market inflows, and that has just continued to drive markets up, you know, and with the fact that those thematics weren't as bad as what everyone was thought.
Speaker 10: Suddenly the market rights has been supported.
Speaker 9: By a very fast improvement in the S and P five hundreds earnings revision breadth, and that then became a self fulfilling rally, and and all of a sudden that it didn't really seem like many risks mattered.
Speaker 2: All right, We've obviously seen a lot of risks accelerating in the past few days, and now there is that relief rally happening. But do you think all of the risks are over in the Middle East? Or is there still a long way to go here for investors?
Speaker 9: Well, I think investors certainly believe we've seen the worst. The fact that the you know, the two parties were able to get together agree.
Speaker 10: To cease fire. You know, that's always going to be good in the scheme of things.
Speaker 9: You know, I was getting constant phone calls from journalists are the last two weeks? You know, you know, is this going to be a recession event? You know, will inflation catail? Central banks easing? And you know, we felt the answer to both those questions with no, And when you actually have a look at geopolitical events over the past seventy five years, what you can see that three quarters of them actually have share price gains in the next twelve months, you know. And of the twenty five that I could find and I could think of, you know, only five.
Speaker 10: Actually led to recession.
Speaker 9: And sorry, it led to the clients, and they were all associated recessions. And the fact that oil prices rose seventy five percent year on year. You know, as of this morning, the oil prices are thirteen percent relative to this period last year, So, you know, in the wake of that, and the fact that the growthat.
Speaker 10: Looks not as bad as some people thought, it's.
Speaker 9: No real surprise that markets are recovering and in many cases are up for you know, this year to date. You know, but of course markets are always vulnerable to second round effects, but they tend to spark less of volatility, and so therefore I think the markets can continue to rally in the second half of this year, even though US growth is probably going to slow pretty significantly in the wake of the tariffs, all.
Speaker 2: Right, and then what about the rates outlook for the US? I hope we're going to hear from Jerome Powell of the next couple of days in Congress.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well, my suspicion is you may get one.
Speaker 9: I believe you probably won't get any, and I don't think that will really worry the market too much. Futures markets have got one fed cut priced in at the end of this year. The Power and the FOMC have already said we're in a weight.
Speaker 10: In the C mode.
Speaker 9: So I think the markets are kind of for the fact that the FOMC is not going to really add too much support to markets this year. But to be honest, I don't think they really need it, because earnings expectations have come down nine percentage points over the last couple of months, and that means to me that all the bad news was priced in. And so when Trump switches his focus away from tariffs and from military strikes to more grow friendly strategies such as tax cuts and deregulation, I suspect the market's going to be able to rally in the second half this year.
Speaker 10: Quite notably.
Speaker 3: Matt Sheild from Perpetual, Great to have you on the show.
Speaker 10: Thanks Ed, good to be with you.
Speaker 2: After the break, Iran threatened to block the Straight of Horm was this week a crucial shipping lane in the Middle East. Tom Jensen from the Freight and Trade Alliance is up next, Welcome back. Ocean shipping rates through the Middle East have been rising since the conflict between Iran and Israel began escalating several weeks ago. Investors have been concerned Iran could close the Straight of Horn, was an important shipping lane for containers oil and L and G gas. The latest research from Drury Maritime Research shows rates for oil tankers have increased anywhere from forty five percent to seventy percent, depending on the direction they're going. For more on this, I'm joined by Tom Jensen from the Freight and Trade Alliance. Tom, thanks so much for your time. You represent the international cargo supply chain sector. But how have cargo freight rates been going over the past few weeks as we've seen this escalation in the Middle East.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we're still to see the outcome of how it has affected the containerized freight market, but they obviously will be going up, no doubt. And however, it's shipping has become quite resilient over the last few years, in particular as a result of the Red Sea crisis, and rates continue to settle a bit in that market as a result due to familiarization by traders to get goods around that scenario. So as much as the strad or Hormones is a central point for the containerized trade, it does only account for four percent of global containerized trade in total. So the issues in the straight of hormones, coupled with the closures at airports through any missile strikes such as we saw in Oman, that sort of does bite into trade quite significantly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just for context viewers, I mean, how resilient has the shipping sect to become. You mentioned the problems in the Suez Canal a few years ago where that was blocked. We've obviously had the pandemic heres where there was serious issues with cost escalations too, But how has it changed over the past couple of years or so.
Speaker 11: Yeah, as you mentioned the word resilient, it's quite commonly used in our industry right now. So I guess shippers and exporters and importers usually did work just in time model to make sure they didn't have too much inventory on their shelves, but nowadays it's almost become a just in case scenario, We're exports are planning ahead and importers are shipping well in advance to try to make sure they're a bit more resilient. So what they're doing is when they're hearing all these global trade issues, the geopolitical issues which are impacting shipping, they're getting a chance to pause and sit back and wait and see.
Speaker 2: All right, and if costs do start rising in theory, how long does it take before that trickles through to Australian consumers that are buying products that have cost more money to bring to our country.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it takes a little bit time to trickle through. I mean, peak seasons generally start at this time of the year, so we're right at the start of the peak season for shipping, so a lot of our Christmas stock, a lot of orders for Christmas and so on, we'll be starting now. So basically the prices generally do tend to rise at this point in time. Obviously this will mean they probably rise a bit more significantly, and a bit more of a chance the do get a bit higher, But generally you're talking anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months for it to hit the shelves, and.
Speaker 2: Then when you look around the world at where global shipping is right now, obviously we've had the US government with President Trump imposing tariffs and then putting them on pause. We've seen reports of China in particular, has been trying to move as much product into America as possible. What are the big factors here when it comes to tariffs? Is the sector still under a bit of pressure.
Speaker 11: Yeah, very much so, so what you mentioned there about the Trump tariff pause. Essentially in the last week, we've just seen the dreary will container in next drop by seven percent week on weeks. So prior to that it had gone up by about seventy percent year to date. So it's one of those sectors where at the moment it changes, things can change in the global context quite significantly, quite quickly in that sense. So what we're seeing now is basically the rates will continue to rise a little bit prior to Christmas, but the US tariff pause we've now hopefully seen the back end of the rating increases in that area. In the grand scheme of things, though, the one area does affect us more so than anything is usually the trade flow patterns. So when we see China rush all those orders through to the States. It might have impacts to Australian shipping where the carriers chase the dollar and they move their ships into the China US market, and that puts a bit of a threat on the Australian market where we don't necessarily have confidence that lines are making as much money as they could on our trade lane, and that puts pressure on governments and shipping lines to make sure they still service our market to the minimum service levels needed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned government. I mean there's a big focus on productivity right now. How product How productive are our ports?
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, they'll tell you they're productive in terms of truck turnaround times, but on a global scale, the world rank them quite lowly in the last ratings. What we're seeing with the ports at the mart and it's great. You mentioned the productivity roundtable being mentioned by the government. So one area we've been talking about the government can act quite quickly on is terminal access charges and empty container park notification fees. They're unregulated at the moment and they're actually affecting importers and exporters quite more significantly than tom some of these geopolitical issues.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I've ran out of time. Really appreciate you coming on the show. Thank you, and that's it for today's program. Thanks for your company. We'll see you tomorrow.