Speaker 1: I I boris and this is straight talk.
Speaker 2: Forty percent of athletes so they were taking or had taken performance enhancing drugs at the Olympic Games.
Speaker 1: Miss off. James magnusm Weldo to stray tool mate.
Speaker 3: Thanks Mark.
Speaker 1: I want to talk to you about the new Olympics as you're going to.
Speaker 3: So it's called the Enhanced Games.
Speaker 2: Essentially, this is a conversion of the Olympics without drug testing. This is an exercise in pushing human ability, human physiology.
Speaker 1: The other other things are on top of testosterone yea.
Speaker 2: So testosterone peptides themselves, some other growth hormone or anabolic type substances. This endeavor can actually advance humanity. You come on board. You break that world record. The million US is yours, which was a nice upside because I little did he.
Speaker 3: Now I meant a million? How you do?
Speaker 1: But James magnusm Welldernes straight tool mate. Thanks Mark, haven't seen you for a long long time.
Speaker 3: It's been a minute.
Speaker 1: I wring you've grown about three inches the taller.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the first thing everyone said, is I'm serious. Yeah I haven't. I haven't been trying to grow yet.
Speaker 1: But when I would have maybe six seven years ago. How old?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thirty three, so.
Speaker 1: You would have been in your twenties, mid twenties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you think I was newly retired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you just had You're still pretty fresh or only young relatively speaking. I'm probably old enough for a swimmer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Howy you feeling about Olympics coming up? But how do you feel?
Speaker 3: Very excited? I'm heading over for the coverage.
Speaker 2: I'm working for News Court yep, so I'll be doing I'll be writing and then doing a bit of stuff with Fox Sports as well.
Speaker 3: So I'm punped.
Speaker 1: You actually like as a journalist, Yes, so you'll be writing up the events. All the events were just swimming, but all.
Speaker 2: The events, all the big events, opinion pieces across the whole games swimming. I guess I'll do a bit in the second week, but probably the games generally, you know, events, the reaction of fans. Think Maddie John's and I are going to be doing some alternative content in the second week. That's a formula. He's a lot of fun, he is, and he's a massive Olympics enthusiast actually.
Speaker 1: And quite bright in that he would know from previous Olympics and previously he'll go back and in his memory is crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got the history crazy.
Speaker 1: In terms of stats and information and not just on Olympics, like on all sorts of stuff, music, whatever, Like his category memory recall is crazy.
Speaker 2: He gave me some advice around working in the media and doing radio and all that sort of stuff, and his methods for memory retention and information and retention are pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: Well, he's a bit of a fanatic when it comes down to prep. So his prep process is he still writes notes, physically writes notes like Old. He doesn't use a laptop running, but he will spend hours prepping for something like and it's all about preparation and probably goes back to his footy career because he was never the most Andrew will be listeners, but he was never the most talented footballer. But he was a big prepper and which made him a great football I'm talking about natural talent versus being a good footballer. And you know that. Old Sorry, like so many people around the world with talent never end up doing anything. But he obviously had talent, but he didn't have the same sort of talents as Joey. But Mattie's ability to prep was crazy, and you know, his attention to detail was very, very good. So he's You're in good company going off to the Olympics. When you get on your only thirty three, he's still young. When you get off to these Olympics and you know you're inmparison, I mean, do you sort of get a bit itchy and think fark? You know, like you know, I wish I was there. I mean, I know that you're older now, but you know, like actually going in the fifty meters for his style or something like that, do you actually get in the room lay with the really team. Do you get it was a bit weird?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely, Maybe less so this one because now I'm prepping for something myself. But I retired at twenty seven, not necessarily through necessity, but more I wanted to retire on my own terms. That's that's from the moment I deboot on the Australian team, I said to my parents and those close to me, I want to date, I want to retire.
Speaker 3: On my own terms.
Speaker 2: But also just the sport generally wears down on you. There's a lot of time left to your own thoughts. It can be very lonely sport at times, and you know, I was a professional for ten years and that was enough. I was going to drive myself insane if.
Speaker 3: I kept to me.
Speaker 2: But physically I still had the attributes to go on. So yeah, when it comes to the Olympics, that's pretty much the only time that I get itchy feet is when I watched that that one hundred free or that four by one free. So I really I just still think physically I could probably still do this, and that's that's the arena I missed. I don't miss the training. I don't miss the early mornings. I don't miss being told what to do every day by coach, even aspects of traveling with the swim team. By the time I retired, I was twenty seven. Swimmings a young man's sport, as there's eighteen year olds on the team, you know, and a generation had passed since I debuted. So some of my initiations to the team with you know, guys were around in the Sydney Olympics were very different to when I came on the you know, went ten years down the track. Kids on the team, you know, it was much more about PlayStation and artistic photography and they have very different interest to me. And when I went on tour, I wanted to do very different things to what these young kids wanted to do. And slowly, as those athletes my age started to retire or were beaten, basically beaten out of the team, he saw of look around and go, I don't have much in common with these other people on the team, And I think partly it keeps you young, but also when you're mature, it's very different to other sports where you know, football teams, you spend all year with the team, so you have shared interests, you have a shared goal, all that kind of thing. By the time I retired, I was pretty much the only professional swimmer left in Sydney, and I was the only one on the team of my age, and so it was, yeah, a little bit lonely towards the end there.
Speaker 1: For me, swimming is a lonely sport irrespective. I mean, you can't talk to you when you're doing a fifteen hundred warm up looking at black line. You can't talk to the blade next to you. Yeah, you can have a giggle at the end of the fifteen hundred, but then the coaches off again, Who's a coach. Your coach in the Olympics, your last Olympics.
Speaker 2: My last Olympics was Mitch Fauve. So I was swimming here in Sydney up at Ravenswood.
Speaker 1: So who was the Australian.
Speaker 2: Australian coach was Jaco Vaharant right from the les and again like he have very different methodologies, come from another country. The whole scope of the team had changed a lot, and society generally has changed in that ten year time. My day booted in twenty ten, retired in twenty eighteen. You know, a whole different culture had emerged.
Speaker 3: In that time.
Speaker 2: But I am old school, you know. I come from a football background and a football upbringing, and my mentality was very different. And by the time I retired, people you know he used to say to me, oh, how did you end up with a lot of sponsors, a lot of limelight? All that stuff I said. From the time my day boots to the time I retired, I was always a straight shooter. If I was going into a race, I always expected of myself that I would win. And if you asked me an interview, what's the outcome of you? What's your desired outcome?
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: I said, I'm here to win, and you know, put a lot of pressure on myself at times, but you know, it also gave me a lot of a lot of limelight. But by the time I was retiring, every interview was you know, they're asking people, you know, what are you what are you here for or whatever. I'm just happy to be here, happy to be a part of this team. You know, my dream was to go to the Olympics. Now I'm here, so anything beyond that's a bonus. And I always used to sit there, go bullshit, bullshit. No one wants to come to the Olympics and make a semi final. If you're on the Australian swim team and you're at the Olympic Games, I, as a member of the public, now have an expectation of you, as an Australian swimmer, to be on that diace. We're the best swimming nation in the world. One of the smallest swimming nations in the world, but we're the best, make no mistakes about that. And I used to I found it, found it tough towards the end of my career, you know, being amongst a team. We're happy to be here, we're all friends. Therese people on that team that I was racing in the hundred freestyle, and I'd rather wring their neck than say I'm happy to be there next to them. But and I found that tough towards the end of my career because I am very old school.
Speaker 1: What do you think or what do you say? I should say that swimming is a young man's sport. What is it about being say nine and or twenty that gives that person an advantage over someone who, say twenty seven.
Speaker 2: The main reason in Australia particularly it's a young men's sport basically you make it by the time you're eighteen, or you quit and go and find work elsewhere Whereas in America you have the college system, so you might not be an Olympic summer by eighteen, but you go into college, you get your education paid for and you progress through so by the time you're twenty three and you're physically peaking, you're then making it onto the Olympic team. In Australia, I think athletes and coaches and parents are acutely aware that if you don't make it by a young age, there really isn't the pathways into swimming so from thirteen years of age, where absolutely whipping young kids. Thirteen year olds are doing ten sessions a week. They're starting strength and conditioning, training there, eating right, sleeping right, recovering right. If you look at junior World championships, junior world records, we dominate even more than we do at a senior level because there's not that same rush or pressure for young athletes in America because they know there's a system and they'd almost most of them would rather go through that college system than turn professional at eighteen and go to an Olympic Games. So in Australia we're in a rush from the time we're teenagers to make it onto that Australian sim team, and then we do so much workload at a young age that by the time we're mid to late twenties, our bodies are falling apart.
Speaker 1: As Finnished as either. Because one of my sons was a swimmer, and four sons, and that's interesting because he went into the trials for the Cormal Games and Victoria he was a butterfly, yep, and he was, and he went he was and he got in the B final. But I said to him, I said, mate, you're not going to make career out of this. And he was in year twelve, and I said, you might as well do you year twelve and give it, give it away. You're not going to be you're not going to be in the Call of Games team. And he gave it away for a couple of years, and of course the butterflies who beat him, the older guys, they then retired and they someone said, would come back. What's interesting is he trained so hard, like you're saying, for so many years, and by the ways, are fucking punished for me, like four point thirty summer winter fucking you know, Nationals and Perth and Darwy like it. It is the toughest game, Like it's so hard for parents as well as the kids. But probably I think it's really hard for parents. But what happened is that they trained so hard when they're young, like you were saying, you know, they're all world class, top ten, all this sort of stuff. Thirteen fourteen, fifteen sixteen. The moment you stop the development physical development and development was crazy, Like he went from a lean maybe eighty kilo maybe even less, tventy five eighty kilo, six foot one sort of seventeen eighty year old to like ninety five kilo big big legs. Yeah, not fact, just this phzzy development. He got back in the pool and he said, Dad, I'm giving away. It's like I feel like I'm a dragon, a piano by I mean one hundred butterfly or turn and fly like, oh my god. And that seems to be a problem in Australia.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 1: I mean I never thought of through like that, like Australian's boys or girls. I know so much about the girls, but the boys I've seen they do give it away about eighteen. It's really hard to get a career. And maybe our university is that the university system here in Australia doesn't do the same university system.
Speaker 3: We don't do scholarships.
Speaker 2: We might do some some partial scholarships, I say a Sydney UNI. When I originally came to Sydney when I was eighteen, I was on a scholarship at Macquarie UNI and it was four thousand dollars. It was nothing, and I was trying to live on campus. Basically, if I hadn't made on these trains swim team within that first couple of months, I probably would have had to given it away anyway because I couldn't afford to live in Sydney.
Speaker 1: So what do you think? What do you think? What would you say to the government today who run the Tertio education system, federal government, What would you say to them in terms of our swimmers for example? I know, I know Rugby union kids boys get scholarships. They used to, at least at Sydney. I don't know about now. But what would you say to the government in this regardia because we want to win?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there needs to be some sort of system set up for competition between universities because that doesn't exist at the moment.
Speaker 3: And that's that's they still have an university, don't they.
Speaker 2: They have They have a unique games which is like school is two point zero and the people that's swimming at those games aren't swimmers, right, going for a piss up on the Gold Coast They hold on the Gold Coast every year, which speaks for itself. Yeah, yeah, a lot of fun, but not real, not real swimming. So you know they have the NC Double a's and all their divisions of swimming and competing in sports over in America. If we could even even get four universities, you know, one in Queensland, one in New South Wales, one in VIC and one in w A or s A to have some sort of intercollegiate competition and provide scholarships and motive and and I guess incentives for swimmers to further their education and they're swimming, it would be golden, but proper proper scholarships, proper scholarships. Yeah, I mean and Sydney in particular, where essentially now we may have one or two swimming out at Homebush still, but we've essentially got no swimmers left in New South Wales at that elite level because it's too expensive to live in Sydney on a swimmer's salary.
Speaker 1: What about in Swiss and the all of the Victoria Institute of Support as well, but do they sort of play that role a bit.
Speaker 3: So En Swiss Now the swimming.
Speaker 2: Aspect of En Swiss has been taken over by Swimming Australia and they've redirected all their funding north.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, so up to Queensland. Up to Queensland, and that's seems to be where the dominant swimmers are coming from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look it's two passes. It's a climate thing. You can swim year around out there updoors. They've got a fifty meter pools up there.
Speaker 1: It makes a big difference.
Speaker 3: It makes a big difference.
Speaker 2: So I'm running into the problem now here in Sydney, of you know, I'm training and I'm looking for pools. The things I've run into now not being in an institute. So I'm not allowed to dive at pools. I've had that multiple times in out of different pools City of Sydney. Here they don't let members of the public dive off the blocks.
Speaker 1: Dangerous, dangerous, yeah, yeah, serious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so members of the public.
Speaker 2: So you know, a rule for all which is just lacks common sense, and you can't take any sort of photos or videos at a pool for feedback on stroke correction. So we've been kicked out of a couple of pools now in Sydney for either diving off blocks or taking videos because I need feedback. I need to look at my stroke, what's my technique? And yeah, so that's the problem you run into, right, And that's that's just And you know, I'll stand there in my speedos while this small lifeguard tells me what to do with an Olympic ringstato on saying members of the public cannot dive off these blocks.
Speaker 1: And also you're you're sharing a lane. I mean you get I guess you get into the fast lane.
Speaker 2: At the moment, I've been doing my swimming at the moment, sort of eight nine am of a morning, so gone, most of the corpuses cleared out, and you know, sometimes there empty pools and there's a lifeguard following me around saying no photos, no diamond.
Speaker 1: That's so crazy.
Speaker 3: It's a bit silly. It's a bit silly.
Speaker 2: It's like going down to the local oval and a member of the council saying to an NRL player, you can't tackle someone on our oval because we're don't insured for it.
Speaker 1: There's probably the case, by the way, it probably is probably the case. It probably is so so okay. And just one more question about the Olympics coming. I heard lots of stories about Libbys because I'm good mates with Michael Delaney was in the what they call the meme machine. But was that they will shave the heads. Yeah, yeah, him and then a few I can't know who was in the team, but anyway, who By the way, Michael has been quite ill and michaelf you're listening, mate, I'm I'm glad to hear your cancers under control, mate. But he was a backstroke in that in that one medley team, and he told me that the partying was fucking out of control, like it was mental and like it was like seriously full one. Yeah, is that is that true?
Speaker 3: Pretty much?
Speaker 1: Like you're more more recent Olympian than him he was back in the nineties or eighties when it was Is it still the same today?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Pretty much? Pretty much.
Speaker 2: London was was crazy because there was a heavy Australian influence over there as well. Plus everyone spoke English makes things a lot easier. Rio My Portuguese wasn't great, so that made things a little more difficult. But when you're an athlete, you find a way. And the big thing is a lot of these sponsors, and a lot of the Olympic sponsors whole events which are essentially just big parties, but it's for for you know, their corporates to mingle with athletes and the like. And so there's the Heineken House as a speedo party, there's an Amiga party. All the major sponsors throw big parties and when you're an Australian swimmer, you get great treatment.
Speaker 3: At all the all the big parties.
Speaker 1: So Austraine swimmers are that much lauded. And in other words, the world knows who as strange.
Speaker 2: Big time, big time, And I think for the most part, Australian swimmers are quite revered because historically we've been quite an insular team.
Speaker 3: We keep to ourselves.
Speaker 2: You know, even in an Olympic setting, the Australian Olympic team as a whole, you know, we're all one team. But in terms of expectations and pressure on that team, pretty much all narrows in on the swim team, right, and you often you sit back and go, oh, this is awesome. We've got some gold medals in track cycling or gymnastics or rolling or sailing. You know, that's they're almost like a nice surprise. But when the swimming's on.
Speaker 3: The focus is an expectation. This is our swim team.
Speaker 1: I remember what you called the scud the missile, the missile, that's what the missile? And what was that? Because of your your size and what are you six seven and sixty six six.
Speaker 3: Five six the?
Speaker 2: Missile no one can chase back to who gave me the nickname basically in the LAST i used to finish fast at the end of the, race and in the end of my hundred freestyle in the two thousand and Eleven World. Champs so When australian had never won the hundred freestyle at The World, Champs i'm not sure how that. Eventuated and the Last australian to win a hundred freestyle race Was Mike wehndon back in the year late. SIXTIES i, remember so we hadn't won a hundred three and you think about over the years had great hundred, freestyles but you, know it is the blue ribbon.
Speaker 3: Event it's pretty tough to.
Speaker 2: Win so that the way that eventuated You and there was a lot of hype around this race and the last say twenty, METERS i took the lead and started surging towards the finish, line and the commentator, said this is the part of the race.
Speaker 3: Where he's earned his nickname the, missile and it just.
Speaker 2: Stuck and then ONCE i got home back To, australia that was basically what people called me for the next.
Speaker 1: Missile that's, right BECAUSE i REMEMBER i kept thinking was a sort of scutter on a scud missile but same. Deal so and when you, swam when you're at your peak six foot, five how much would you have?
Speaker 2: WEIGHED i sort of hovered around saying ninety three ninety.
Speaker 1: Four, kilos so for sixty five for a six foot five, guy kilos is not particularly. Heavy it's not.
Speaker 2: Big, yeah it would always be for us around power to wait. Yeap but by the time you're, racing you easily sub ten percent body fat like you are.
Speaker 1: Lean and also there's a lot of is on surface, coverage so quite wide but not. Thick but, yeah so you could sort of plan because there was a lot of physics around spears and it's and you don't want heavy, legs don't be, dragging so generally, speaking have not skinny, legs but not big. Legs so you could sort of plan a little bit like a plan on the top of the FIFTH a lot different of the Way Ian thorpe was.
Speaker 3: Built, yeah, yeah, yeah he was quite Fix he's a.
Speaker 1: Big, guy you know WHAT i. Mean SO i want to talk to about the New olympics that you're going to just quickly explain what are they called and what's that what's the thesis of the whole?
Speaker 2: Thing, yeah so it's called The Enhanced. Games so essentially this is like a version of The olympics without drug. Testing anything that's taken has to BE fda approved and prescribed by, doctor so there will be checks in.
Speaker 1: Place but this is nothing, dangerous so to, speak nothing dangerous and it's. MONITORED i, guess, yeah things heavily.
Speaker 2: Monitored this IS i think this is an exercise in pushing human. Ability human physiology and. Science science plays a huge part in this science and medicine and the advancements in this. Space but basically the idea of The games is to bring on athletes who can break world, records current world records with.
Speaker 1: Enhancements so what obviously that means like that's like what would ordinarily be banned as a. Drug it doesn't cover every single, drug so you're not. Out they're doing bodybuilder type style point for, me, yeah because don't want to be too.
Speaker 2: Heavy no, no, no. No the things for me that are going to be super. Important firstly is going to be. Recovery swimmers do a lot of workload and for the, Record i'm trying to Break i'm going to be doing a lot of work in the gym as.
Speaker 3: Well so the.
Speaker 2: Record drawing a big fifty freestyle world. Record what is the current twenty point nine to one seconds?
Speaker 1: Hold who Is.
Speaker 2: Caesar, clo WHO i raced a lot during my. Career he broke it in two thousand and. Nine it's the longest standing world record in men's, swimming and it was done in the supersuits back in the. Day the reason being those suits that one year they had those crazy, suits the poly irrotate, suits the floating swimmers there they you, KNOW i think of that world record in That World champion. Rooms every world record was broken pretty much multiple, times most of.
Speaker 3: Them so this is.
Speaker 2: The last remaining world, record and it's probably the truest testament to human power and speed and.
Speaker 3: Acceleration it's the fifty.
Speaker 2: Three so there's no there's no, tactics there's no easing into the. Race basically it's full bore from start to finish, athleticism, power, speed and so it's going to be the best example of what can these enhancements do for an athlete's athletic.
Speaker 1: Ability so just take me through the. Race so you, know it starts off getting a good start, obviously but SO i just want to, know just take me through the. Twenties well you can go through the whole twenty. Seconds it's obviously power from the, start like in other, words, lead power to get out as far as you. Can it's the ability to do whatever you do, underwater because there's a lot underwater these. Days and then once you come up to the, surface it's about do you take me through?
Speaker 2: It like so essentially what we're trying to do at the, moment we're trying to get the best vertump in world.
Speaker 3: Swimming so that dive off The blox is pure.
Speaker 2: Explosion it's probably the most explosive movement in any sport because you go from this little crouchdown to position to horizontal in the, air so triple extension before entering the. Water so you go from relax to full explosion, horizontal then stiffen up again before you hit the.
Speaker 1: Water it's so where do you need the? POWER i, mean which part of Your primarily it's your glutes and so, okay and then once.
Speaker 2: You hit the, water then you underwater fly, kick and that's all about. Mobility so hyper mobility through your thracic, spine through your, shoulders through your, hips and.
Speaker 3: Again a lot of power through that butterfly kick and.
Speaker 1: How many how many butterfly kicks you do?
Speaker 3: Underwater i'll do about seven for the, Race, yeah and they have to be super super.
Speaker 2: Quick then you break. Out no breathing till the, end so hold your, breath.
Speaker 1: Take one, breath or you don't take the breath as you dive.
Speaker 3: In as you dive, in the last breath you'll take is just before you hit the. Water then you hold your.
Speaker 1: Breath that whole it was taking breath actually takes it.
Speaker 2: Slows you, down some little turn that's like that tiny it might, be whatever.
Speaker 1: It, is you might lose a stroke out of.
Speaker 3: It, yeah, Yeah and then it's head. Down the way we swim.
Speaker 1: God head, down head, Straight, yeah head down from a work ethic point of, view and the way we produce power from swimming from free style as we go opposite hand to opposite.
Speaker 2: Hip so my right hand hits the, water my right hip connects to, it my sling across my, body So i'm flinging down that. Pool my hip stays super, sill my upper body rotates quite. Drastically and then from that point to the, finish it's all power and.
Speaker 1: How much you rely on your kick where's the Kick in terms of contribution the.
Speaker 2: Kick it's probably eighty twenty upper body to kick the. Kick the main focus for that fifty freestyle, stability keeping those hips nice and. Still when you watch it ON, tv you, go, well that's producing a lot of. Power but IF i took my arms out of. That for, example IF i took kickout and swim that, FIFTY i might be twenty five. Seconds IF i took my arms out and kicked that, fifty, yeah thirty, seconds thirty one.
Speaker 3: Seconds so it's upper, body so you can kick.
Speaker 1: It you can do fifty kick just. Kicking you beat me IF i was doing. It if you struggling to do, Thirty so. Okay so then in terms of the, physiology AND i get the parts of the working in terms of the. Physiology in terms of your exercise regime apart from doing pool WORK xos regime in the, gym so you're doing power a lot of power, exercise.
Speaker 2: Yeah which is quite different to WHAT i did that during my let's call it my first. Career So olympic lifting like clean and, jerks, snatches a lot of, pliometrics, jumping broad, jumps high, jumps, throwing, throwing, balls throwing medicine balls and then low, reps heavyweight on your, squats some hipinge, movements maybe not a full, deadlift but something like, that a bench, press and then alsimmers do heavy chin, ups like heavyweighted chin ups like you mean With, yeah.
Speaker 1: They still do it like like not for this, event but just generally, yeah, yeah because they develop your. Lads, yeah and lats is a big part of the.
Speaker 3: Swimming you're just going to get out of the. Pool they always have that sort.
Speaker 1: Of, yeah the V so, okay SO i understand the. Regime where does the enhancement fit? In so how does the hnce the enhancement of drugs that you, take how do they enhance that?
Speaker 2: Regime, Yeah so Basically i'm not going to you, know use testosterone for the first time and jump in the pool and feel stronger and feel. Faster What i'm going to be able to do with which.
Speaker 1: One is essentially test test. Testosterone that'll be the first. Thing, yeah other other things on top of the.
Speaker 2: Testosterone, yeah so, testosterone, peptide stem, cells some other growth hormone or anabolic type substances that that will basically you, know improve lean muscle mass and.
Speaker 1: Output is there anything that is not, allowed.
Speaker 2: Like like a for, example a doctor would never prescribe like, trendline.
Speaker 1: Which is what to, me what that.
Speaker 3: Is so that's what your average body builder will, use.
Speaker 1: Right that's not an anabotic, Steroid yeah it.
Speaker 2: Is it is that'll put on the size the, fastest that will cause acne and back hair and shrinking, narts all those sort of like really intense side, effects really intense physical.
Speaker 3: Reaction will put size on the.
Speaker 2: Fastest will increase strength the, fastest but will have severe side. Effects that's the most common. ONE i would say in a gym setting.
Speaker 1: Trembline, trembline that's an anabolic. Steroid That so you've got certain other words a doctor won't prescribe because of the.
Speaker 2: DANGER a doctor wouldn't prescribe that because for, example a doctor would prescribe test austerone to most men probably over thirty, five because if you do a test and you look at your Test australian, levels most men will be at in that low range because of age and lifestyle.
Speaker 3: Factors that just is what it is in current.
Speaker 2: Society so whilst we'll have doctors who will prescribe above and, beyond it's not a drug that is, unsafe, untested doesn't have any sort.
Speaker 3: Of history of use and side effects on.
Speaker 2: It, so you, know the first thing people think when they hear The Enhanced, GAME i think it sounds a bit, sketchy bit. Dicey you, know science. Experiment all these drugs are out, there and all these drugs.
Speaker 3: Are being used.
Speaker 2: Currently beyond, that all these drugs are being used currently by athletes in certain.
Speaker 1: SPORTS i once spoke to HER i won't to say who, was but a track and field, person and that person said to me that he knew that all the best, runners not Necessarily, australia we're. Taking.
Speaker 3: Yeah i've probably had the same conversation with that same, ATHLETE i.
Speaker 2: Think but he knew and if he was in a semi, final he knew it was probably the only clean.
Speaker 1: One it, correct it was only clean, one and he used to get really pissed off about. It, yeah, absolutely and it was because it was well.
Speaker 3: Known the funny thing is swimmers is.
Speaker 1: Probably swimming, TOO i don't, know but it. Does it.
Speaker 2: Does i'd say so so that one of the statistics that The Enhanced games spoke with me about WHEN i first signed. On so THE, ioc The International Olympic committee did an internal survey of their, athletes a study and they asked those athletes under, anonymity have you ever taken or are you currently taking performance enhancing? Drugs the results came back now and they said to, me what do you think the numbers? Are, okay you'd hope, not But i'm thinking like maybe as much as ten percent forty percent of athletes in that survey anonymously like you wouldn't you just lie, anyway but anonymously forty, percent so they were taking or had taken performance enhancing drugs.
Speaker 3: At The Olympic. Games they go far, out you, know As australians were so.
Speaker 1: Heavily These australians know that this is athletes aroun around the, world, Right.
Speaker 2: I'd say, That i'd Say, australians if we had one percent of Our olympic athletes In australia on performance and enhancing, Drugs i'd be a, surprised be disappointed BECAUSE i know how stringent we are with our. Testing it's ACTUALLY i think it's a it's an interesting point around our. Testing so we spend quite a lot on our antidoping In AUSTRALIA. Asata with that money we, test catch and publicly shame our own, athletes whilst other countries in the world are doing everything they can to avoid getting, caught to avoid naming, athletes to avoid publicly shaming, athletes.
Speaker 1: And probably actually assisting in. Them to be correct WHAT i do.
Speaker 2: With these the, documentary you know there was a state funded doping and the ones running it with the antidoping authorities In. Russia so it's an interesting. THEORY i, mean if IF i was in charge of that, SPACE i would be spending all my funding On if we've got international athletes in the country form asata straight out testing, them can we send those athletes to some? Countries can we send them to some international? Meeta can we be catching athletes from other, countries because historically our athletes aren't the ones doing.
Speaker 3: This we're very clean as a.
Speaker 2: Nation i've in my entire, CAREER i never once was offered a performance enhancing, substance never came across, them AND i was at the tippity top from a reasonably young, age never came across them at. All but you, know we've got people Like Peter bowl who we publicly Shame wrecki's, terrible REKIS i don't know if you can Say wreckedy's whole. Career it's certainly wrecked that part of his. Career his reputation took a period.
Speaker 1: Of his life.
Speaker 2: Away and any time you, know from now until, infinity anytime you.
Speaker 3: Google Peter bowles comes, Up, yeah which is, bullshit but it's.
Speaker 2: There, meanwhile there was an article just came out that there was twenty three athletes from a country leading into The Tokyo olympics who all tested positive to a substance in. Swimming wasidden By, Wader it was hidden by The Olympic, committee it was hidden by The World Swimming, federation and it only came out because of investigative journalism. Recently and again it was just basically.
Speaker 1: When they're all still, competing they're still.
Speaker 2: COMPETING i think between, them they won about five medals at The Olympic, games including three, gold and our athletes competed against. Them we had an athlete in one of those events who was a world record holder who was.
Speaker 1: Beaten so you're not promoting, THOUGH i want this to be clear and on the, record you are not promoting the use of performance enhancing drugs in The. Olympics quite the. Opposite quite the. Opposite you are taking part in this to see just what. Happens, yeah if you did.
Speaker 3: WHAT i, think and as you get older and you realize more and more of.
Speaker 2: This is, happening and you know when you're swimming that there's athletes that you're racing now in. Retirement WHEN i heard that, STORY i look at those swimmers AND i, go give me what he's on AND i fucking bury it totally because As austraine, ATHLETES i believe we have some of the best, coaching training work.
Speaker 3: Ethic LIKE i, said we're doing it from a young.
Speaker 2: Age we're still out there winning on a world, stage but we're not playing on a level playing. Field and so give me what they are and watch what.
Speaker 1: Happens which is what you're going to, do just the enhanced games when there's people when are we going.
Speaker 3: To be late next?
Speaker 2: Year so The olympics Is august this, year looking at sort of probably Say august To november next, year can.
Speaker 1: You just sort of you might not be prepared to do it because of competitive disadvantage around or, advantage but can you sort of maybe look at it gives an outline of the stack of what you're taking now SO.
Speaker 2: I haven't taken, anything nothing, yet. Nothing i've started speaking when you start to do, this, yeah so.
Speaker 3: It's not far.
Speaker 2: Away so, basically if if you think of regardless and the whole WAY i became involved in this was.
Speaker 1: The.
Speaker 2: Boys SO i heard about the enhanced. Games you, KNOW i work in the, media SO i saw press releases and. STUFF i, thought very interesting, concept and most most friendship circles have sat down around, it you, know sat at the pub at some side at the stage and, said you, know imagine if you, know what if we gave you Saying, Bolt what if we Gave Michael, Phelps what if we gave the best athlete?
Speaker 3: Before, like what could they? Do could we have superhumans on our.
Speaker 1: Hands it's just a philosophical, yeah.
Speaker 2: Philosophical, ANYWAY i saw the, CONCEPT i thought very, interesting Very Peter feels behind, It peter tel is behind, It Aaron desuza is fronting. It there's there's also some other hedge funds backing. It so the most recent TIME i heard about, it, right it was, right we've got multiple billionaire backers of this games and we're pushing ahead with. It and that's the first TIME i took it, seriously BECAUSE i, thought you, know without the, funding it's all, theoretical still.
Speaker 3: Hypothetical so, right they've got the.
Speaker 2: Backing they named the sports they named, swimming, athletics, weightlifting and combat sports probably are boxing and, wrestling which pretty, interesting.
Speaker 4: Scary so named the sports that they named the backing and it oh you, KNOW i went on their website and you, see you know that they're starting to accumulate staff.
Speaker 3: Quickly So i'm, thinking, right this is starting to take.
Speaker 2: Shape how to chat with one of my mates about, it and we were chatting and he, said you, know are they going to be able to break because the enhanced games are, Trumpeting we're going to break all the natural world. Records and he said to, me are they just going to be able to bring on some young, athletes put them in performance enhancements and they come out and break world? Records so absolutely, not particularly those pinnacle. Events you one hundred meters, track you're fifty meters freestyle, swimming like those events have so much skill, acquisition time under, tension like there's so much have gone into to get to that. Pinnacle SO i, said there's no way you could just get an, average say college athlete and just get them on this program and they become out break or. Record it's not possible.
Speaker 1: Because a whole lot of other stuff goes into it so.
Speaker 3: Much, years years make the.
Speaker 2: Start and the reason they're not at The olympics is they're probably not talented.
Speaker 3: Enough so that's the first.
Speaker 1: Point so talent is still. Critical it's.
Speaker 3: Critical it's.
Speaker 2: Critical it's it's, genetics its, size its ability to handle the workload of thousands of.
Speaker 1: Laps and years at.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: Years. Years.
Speaker 2: Yeah so he said to, me, theoretically could THEY i, said not, Possible and he, said well who? Could AND i, said you'd have to get an athlete who'd either been there and done it before or you, know was mid career right. Now and he, said, well could they get current? ATHLETES i, said be, tough you, know could you get an athlete and say instead of going To Paris, OLYMPICS i want you to do. This, well you, know you can't compare them at the. Moment doesn't have the, history he doesn't have the. Tradition so he, said we do you reckon.
Speaker 3: You could do?
Speaker 2: It AND i, said, well probably probably if it was in my events and depending you, KNOW i hadn't done much research into the performance enhancement. Stuff AS i, said never have come across. It i've never taken anything. Myself he, said you reckon you could DO i, Said i'll. Probably he, said well what would it? Take AND i, say you, know and this is the throwaway line that you speak to. MATES i, said, ah Million, BUCKS i do. It he said, yeah fair. Enough then that was sort of the end of. It then the Hollow sport podcast bring me up and they're mid podcasts and they, say, hey can we chuck you on the? Podcast WHEN i asked you, SOMETHING i said. No drummers said what about this enhanced? Games so you heard about?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 2: Yep can they break word? RECORDS i said, again probably. Not you need the right. People and it just clicked for me for a. SECOND i, said here's a world exclusive for you, Boys Tom eddie From Million. Bucks i'll come on board And i'll break a word. RECORD i, mean you, know it's a satirical. PODCAST i guess you call. It and they were very excited about. That, anyway hang, up forget ABOUT i THINK i did that interview on A. Wednesday they released the pot on A thursday. AFTERNOON i wake Up friday morning and my phone is blowing. Up the lux during my. Career that's never been a good, thing is blowing. Up but it was you, Know New York, TIMES.
Speaker 3: Bbc sky and like every every outlet from around the. World And Aaron jesusa called me and he, Said i've got a million dollars in ESCROW us with this. Company you come on, board you break that world.
Speaker 2: Record the MILLION us is, yours which was a nice upside BECAUSE i little did He NOW i meant a million Aud but.
Speaker 3: The MILLION us.
Speaker 1: Helps BUT i can just explain to me, though is it you verse? As will you be be race four?
Speaker 3: Final eight?
Speaker 1: People, okay so but the do they choose the eight people or people can apply there are the peats and stuff like, that.
Speaker 3: Or not just be one out, final one out.
Speaker 2: Final so there'll be A tv product that will basically BE.
Speaker 3: I.
Speaker 2: Imagined by the time it's all said and, done you'll go A tv product that Goes boom fifty three, Style boom one hundred, track, boom, heavyweightlifting bom heavyweight boxing like action, packed not a three Week olympics where you're, like all, right here's the. Archery oh, good the swimming's. On, next back to break, dancing at This. Olympics oh, good back to the hundred, Tracks like this is going to be action packed and it'll be just a straight up final eight men all under the same. Guidelines the winner of, THAT i dare, say will break the world. Record, ANYWAY i know other athletes that are coming on, board AND i know quite a few athletes that are going to come on board After paris that are going to be fresh out of their.
Speaker 1: Careers so you may well have to compete against who wins the gold Medal.
Speaker 2: Olympics potentially DEPENDING i, guess depending on, age on their, risk, appetite on a number of. Things there's also you, Know Ridley scott has signed on Within Hands games to produce a documentary for The, Games so there's also going to be a what would you call like a personality aspect that will factor into who comes on as The games because like talent, Talent, yeah because they're producing a Document. Yeah there was a big, difference for, example Between formula One drive To survive and The Tennis breakpoint. Documentaries the reason being the Personalities formula, one those, guys the, egos the personality was huge and it was awesome to. Watch tennis was like there was an episode On, curios which was, awesome and then after that it just. Dropped, yeah, yeah yeah they may have may as well have done a full series on him because he was the only one with. Personality. YEAH i watched his, EPISODE i was, like, Sweet i'm. IN i watched the next. EPISODE i was, Like i'm. Done these guys are. Boring, yeah but so that'll play a. Factor but then so What i'm.
Speaker 3: Doing you've been.
Speaker 1: Chosen, hey you're. In, yeah you're, in but you don't know the other. Seven, yeah you've GOT i guess you have an, idea have.
Speaker 3: An idea of a?
Speaker 1: Couple, yeah any of your, nemesis not.
Speaker 2: DIRECTLY i would like my nemesis from The London. OLYMPICS i think that would be pretty. Cool really, YEAH i think that would be pretty. Cool or the current world record holder sees a Clo he must be say late thirties maybe, forty but with science and, medicine who, knows it would be cool to have him in the.
Speaker 1: Race how would they support? You, like, so, okay you get chosen you AND i don't know if that you have the seven are going to be in secret or you going to find it at some, Stage but how do they support, you do they put you through like whole testing, regime et.
Speaker 2: Cetera, yeah so they have quite an extensive medical team on.
Speaker 1: Staff australian Or.
Speaker 2: American at the, moment they're based out of half out Of, london half out Of New, york just because that's where the money is, essentially that's where the backing is coming.
Speaker 3: From but.
Speaker 2: Once there's there's still a lot to play, out as you can imagine this. Is AND i think WHEN i accepted the offer From Aaron desuzo probably accelerated the the inception of The games even more because the one thing they were missing was an, athlete was a face of The, games a credible athlete who had a history and they're.
Speaker 1: Not a, punder not some of who was coming eighth or did make it.
Speaker 2: Final, yeah AND i think the country that that athlete came from was important as. Well LIKE i, Said australians have a great reputation even in that anti doping, space that The australian swim team is as clean as it.
Speaker 1: Comes.
Speaker 2: Like we've had some blips on the radar over the, years but as a, whole you, know we've got an exemplary, record.
Speaker 1: Particularly relative to everybody.
Speaker 2: Else, yeah, yeah, yeah big. Time SO i think that was quite an important aspect for. Them so WHEN i came on board and suddenly they had a, face then things started to really ramp. Up and things have accelerated heaps even since. Then and you, Know i'm having meetings with them, regularly and the updates and the grandeur of what's going to, happen and some of the people that are coming on to get, involved countries that are bidding for the, games big name personalities that want to be a part of.
Speaker 3: It to the coverage, broadcast, right it's going to be. Huge you.
Speaker 2: KNOW i think there's one point two BILLION i believe watched the one hundred meter track final at The Olympic. Games ANYONE i speak, to whether they support these games or, not you asked them, afterwards well would you watch? Totally so if the one hundred meters tracked does one point two, Billion i'd be surprised if this doesn't do a billion. Views if they can package this into a weekend or a day or a two HOUR tv product like this does.
Speaker 3: A billion, VIEWS i. Believe and so the broadcast rights for, that and the broadcast rights the Broad.
Speaker 1: Super, bowl it's going to be like A Super bowl.
Speaker 3: Event the broadcast, part the broadcast rights and partner you, know will probably have somewhat of a say in timing of.
Speaker 2: It so that's why that hasn't been set in stone. Yet they haven't done an option for the broadcast rights. Yet but it's evolving so. Quickly so for, me like people, say, oh it's too, late like why are you training? Now and and will? Be you, know are you taking anything?
Speaker 3: Now if?
Speaker 2: Not why for the first Point i've, Got i've got over a year to. Prepare BUT i may be. PREPARING i may be racing against current athletes at the top of their. Game so as soon AS i said, THAT i got shading the pool the next day started churning out those, laps brought on AN S andc, coach got some advice around around the swim training, aspect and started training immediately BECAUSE i was acutely aware THAT i needed to get to the peak of my natural ability and that that enhancement part is probably the one two percent on.
Speaker 3: Top it's it's the it's the cream on.
Speaker 1: Top but what do you think your age? Now what a disadvantage would you put on your age in terms of time against the world.
Speaker 2: Record it's a good. QUESTION i, mean IF i had to guess right, now IF i And i'm going to have the ability of the super suit as.
Speaker 1: Well everyone Can, yeah, okay let's go enhance. Games. Yeah but also so he had the super suit.
Speaker 3: On, yeah the super suit, yeah so and that should be.
Speaker 1: Quick it should be.
Speaker 2: Equivalent that's WHAT i said To aaron WHEN i came on. BOARD i, said if we're going to.
Speaker 1: Do this a new supersuit or the super, suit the one that the same stuff that he was, Wearing we'll.
Speaker 3: Be happy with the original. One it's probably better.
Speaker 2: Ones they could have made, advancements but they haven't because they haven't been able to produce anything. Since so who's to say that LACK nasa won't come out and say here's a better swimsuit for this enhanced.
Speaker 3: Games who.
Speaker 2: Knows but at WORST i can have the same suit As Caesar, ciellow which is a huge. FACTOR i would say right, now with that super, SUIT i would be somewhere between half a second and a second off the world record.
Speaker 1: That's now right. Now, yeah the past time, trial you probably do a twenty one or something.
Speaker 3: Twenty one high yees say with that with that, suit maybe twenty one to five.
Speaker 1: Yep SO i need, THAT i need that last.
Speaker 2: Percentage But i'm grinding now naturally to get as closer to AS i. Can so the performance enhancing aspect tips.
Speaker 1: Me over the, edge but it needs to have a lesser. Effect.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: CORRECT i can't come off the couch and just, go, Oh testosterone's going to take you from the couch to the world, record AND i KEEP i have to keep reminding myself and reminding other people around me because you, know the people that i'm training, with the people that i'm with getting really excited because my improvement has been quite sharp over the. Past i'm into week twelve of training of hardcore, training and my improvements have been quite quite.
Speaker 3: Sharp you, know in the in the gym, sense we call them beginner.
Speaker 2: Gains you, know when you start a certain, program you start training for speed or, power and you get results pretty quickly because you haven't done it for a while and you quite receptive to.
Speaker 1: It but then your, platter then your.
Speaker 3: Platter, yeah so WHAT i need to do is get myself to that.
Speaker 2: Platter where is that platter at thirty three years of, Age i'm not SURE i haven't hit it, yet but there's new training and new methodology and different Things i'm doing now that makes me believe maybe maybe That plato this time isn't far off my peak as a twenty year old. Athlete but then that last part to take me above and, beyond to make me be able to stack up workouts one after the, other you, know swim super fast in the, morning lifts super heavy at, lunchtime swim super fast again at. Night like just that's that's What i'm being told by the medical. Professionals that's the difference at the. Moment LIKE i get up early AND i swim hard balls to the, wall and THEN i go from. THERE i, eat AND i go to the. GYM i get to the gym AND i sort of you, Know i've got to get myself going mentally and physically. Again half an hour into my gym, yet, Right i'm going, again and then by that afternoon Sleep i'm.
Speaker 3: Done, Yeah i'm.
Speaker 2: Cooked i'm going four years four hours of training is a thirty three year. Old you, know it's not the most normal thing for a thirty three year old to be. Doing but from all, Reports i'd be able to go again and i'd be, saying what's. Next you know that the medical Professionals i've been speaking to is have said the biggest thing you'll have to do is to be able to at times tone it down and it'll be a mind over body type thing because physically you'll feel like you can go forever and you'll keep pushing and lifting heavier and swimming.
Speaker 1: Faster than you'll tear.
Speaker 2: Something, yeah so that they, said you know you'll have to rather than saying that my body is, STUFFED i have to mentally get up for, this it would be my body is. FIRING i have to mentally wind down so THAT i can rest and.
Speaker 1: Recover so is it is it a chance, that given particularly during your, era there are a couple of people around your age And i'm Thinking Kenrick monk for, example he's be at thirty four to thirty.
Speaker 3: Five, yeah it'd be a couple of years older than.
Speaker 1: Me so would there be? People would do you think there's a jams Anymore australians would be in this group of eight because you, know, like, yeah it's all very well to. Sell, well it's get one from every. Country but in the finals when you were in The, olympics a couple Of, americans a couple of quite a Few australians would figure it quite heavily in every.
Speaker 3: Event in every, EVENT.
Speaker 2: I would Say australia is almost the riskiest country to put yourself out there and do.
Speaker 3: This in what is?
Speaker 1: That public? Opinion public?
Speaker 3: Opinion, yeah it's the it's the one, thing you.
Speaker 2: KNOW i had to have some tough conversations at the start with people around me as to WHY i wanted to do this. Again and you, know people in my LIFE i had a rollercoaster of a career high, highs low, lows.
Speaker 3: You, know and people in my life, said do you want to go through that?
Speaker 2: Again do you want to put yourself out there and open yourself up to, criticism to all that kind of, stuff and do.
Speaker 1: You really give a? Shit that's the.
Speaker 2: Thing, yeah that's that's the and that's the hard PART i think for me IS i learned at a young age not to care about people's, opinions AND i honestly. Don't the first thing WHEN i signed onto The, GAMES i said to my, girlfriend don't read, articles don't read, comments you, know don't read in, boxes, like just don't do.
Speaker 3: It that's WHAT i. DO i.
Speaker 2: Don't and people say to, me what about the? BACKLASHER i don't know about. IT i don't read, anything like who's writing about?
Speaker 3: YOU i don't know what are they.
Speaker 2: WRITING i don't care what about the, comments don't read. Them it's pretty easy as once you understand the aspect to deal with. It but my family and those close to me always take it a lot harder than. Me and you, know speaking to my, parents SO i, said do you want to do this? Again do you want to open yourself up to this? Criticism you, know haven't you had enough of? That And i'm a risk, Taker i'm a. Gambler i'm pedal to the metal with most THINGS i do in.
Speaker 1: Life well sort of curious, too like there's a curiosity associated with.
Speaker 3: This i'm so.
Speaker 2: Intrigued and this is the you, know the crazy thing about these, games like training again as an athlete is exhilaratings like addictive and if you think about for most, people if you think about when it was the last time you went down to your local park and, SPRINTED i mean everything you've got, Sprinted you finish that, sprint you, stop you get your breath. Back it's a euphoric feeling there's very few moments in life where you can physically exert one hundred percent of your effort of your, Output and there's something about. It even talking about it gets me gat. Up AND i get to do that now every DAY i go to the pool AND i just put the pedal to the metal and it feels, amazing And i'm on a high for the next twenty four hours TILL i do it. Again AND i love. It and so for, me it wasn't a big. Decision but for the people around, me they're not risk, takers they're not. Gamblers they haven't learned to cope with negative feedback or criticism or articles written about, me and they're the ones that.
Speaker 3: Probably do it the.
Speaker 1: Toughest so how do you reconcile? THAT i, mean do you feel like you're being? Selfish? Sure do you, think, oh someone might Think i'm being? Selfish? SURE i, mean do you sort of beat yourself?
Speaker 2: UP i thought about that quite a bit at the, beginning because WHAT i didn't realize UNTIL i retired from swimming was THAT i did live a very selfish. Life every DECISION i made in my life as an athlete was around will this make me a fastest?
Speaker 3: Swimmer or will it?
Speaker 2: Not you, know someone asked me to go to their birthday, PARTY i would be that black and white for. Me is that going to make me a fastest? Swimmer does that interfere with my? Training if it, Does i'm not.
Speaker 3: GOING i.
Speaker 2: DON'T i didn't put any deeper thought into you, know how will that person? Feel or you, know and that it's such a simple life as an. Athlete will this make me the fastest man in the?
Speaker 3: World will it? Not THEN i go for option a fastest man in the.
Speaker 1: World.
Speaker 2: Option but then you retired from, swimming and then you start to, support you, know a. Partner you start to think more about, you your, friends, businesses business, partners, family.
Speaker 1: And gets more. Complicated get us the life so much more.
Speaker 2: Complicated people, say you, know you have to sacrifice so much to be an. Athlete it's such a hard. Thing being an athlete is the most simple.
Speaker 3: Job in the. World it's the biggest privilege in the.
Speaker 2: World there's huge, pressure huge, expectation but life.
Speaker 1: Is simple as long as you prepare to be. Selfish, yeah, Correct AND i. DON'T i don't mean a sinister, way but so just thinking about my outcome a better word single. Minded single, minded, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes not, selfish and that was something that something THAT i was really good, at you, know in terms of even, now WHEN i kickstarted my, TRAINING i, Said i'm not drinking for the next eight weeks to kickstart this thing eight weeks and get my training on. Track my birthday fell in that eight. Weeks three of my other esmates birthdays all fill in that eight weeks brush, brushed, brushed all of it. Brushed and people are, Going you're, mad like it's it's your. Birthday have a, drink just one, Drink have a. Drink, no you, KNOW i want to be the fastest man in. History they, Yeah but you.
Speaker 3: KNOW i go. No And.
Speaker 2: I've got that ability to switch it like that and just say no to, anything and people around me find it incredibly. FRUSTRATING i don't know if it's the fact that they can't sway me or they don't understand that, ability because you, know so many people will go along with things in life and do things in life just to appease someone.
Speaker 3: Else's feelings or. Sensibilities but.
Speaker 2: WHEN i set my mind to something and What i'm thinking at this point in my, Life, Mark i'm thinking that this opportunity beyond that million dollars for the race that these games, themselves the, exposure the, documentary the things that are going to come off the back of, this this anti aging. SPACE i believe the space is becoming quite big in THE us. Globally, globally, yeah but In australia it's it hasn't it hasn't hit In earnest. Yet we're not seeing anti aging clinics pop. Up you, know there's still a taboo, around a stigma around testosterone or you, know men taking things.
Speaker 3: To decrease the speed of. Aging there's a lot of stigma attached on.
Speaker 1: Because we live in a very critical. Society, yeah and it's a bit like being better than somebody else, too by the, way like in this country you're better than someone else that you get taken. Down, yeah you've got to be the same as everybody. Else and if you and if you think you're better or you are, better then you're actually got a target on. You and that's An australian. Thing it's actually An english thing. Too it happens In england And ireland And. Australia it's not An american. Thing, no the other. Way and so you dare not stand out in the. Crowd otherwise you're your your your fair, game your fair. Game CAN i IF i say there's to, You, james IF i said to, YOU i just interested to hear your response and you might need to think about. It IF i said to, You i'll pay you a million dollars not to do, THIS.
Speaker 2: I think, THIS i think this opportunity far out weighs that million. Dollars, yeah fire out Ways and WHAT i, Think i'm? Why?
Speaker 1: Why what is it? About what is it beyond the million dollars that is important to? You is it the, experiment so to, speak like or is it more about how can we live a better?
Speaker 2: Life both the part about so even at the age of thirty, THREE i was starting to research some of this. Stuff i'm Watching Andrew Hubernemann's i'm Watching You You're Joe. Rope, yeah, Yeah i'm hearing them talk about this side of things BECAUSE.
Speaker 3: I don't want. TO i don't want to, just for lack of a better, term just age gracefully and.
Speaker 1: Just accept the. STATUS i don't.
Speaker 3: WANT i don't want to accept. THAT i don't want to get, SLOWER i don't want to get.
Speaker 2: WEAKER i don't want to lose, vitality, libido all those, things you, know all those aspects as an athlete character defining for, me my athletic ability is intrinsically linked with.
Speaker 3: WHO i. Am that's HOW i Identify i've.
Speaker 1: BEEN i don't want to lose what defines.
Speaker 3: You i've been the athlete my whole. Life AND i see other.
Speaker 2: Swimmers they, retire they blow, out they get, depressed they turn to. Drugs it's such a common. Cycle AND i know exactly two a million. Times SO i, retired and the DAY i, RETIRED i started training, again you, know in the, gym running doing different.
Speaker 3: THINGS i started.
Speaker 2: TRAINING i entered the race up, circular the Center points, HOUR i did the city to, SERVE i did Tough. MONER i just started entering things and training and keeping myself in. Shape and at any given point in those last five years Where i've been, retired IF i let that physical activity, slip or that that acting lifestyle, slip my mind slips quickly with.
Speaker 1: It so so your, Mind, yeah you're the stability of your, mind or maybe the happiness of your, mind relies quite a lot on your physical, output and perhaps even the competitive physical output being a. Competitor so because it's hard to do a high level of physical output unless you've got an. Objective, Correct, yeah it just. IS i mean way as you get, older it gets, harder and it really. Does it gets harder and. Harder and like WHEN i hit sixty, five LIKE i, started it just really hit me. Hard Like i'll still go to the gym every, day but just the intensity of training without an. OBJECTIVE i, mean WHEN i was, younger it was about looking good and all that sort of stuff and. Competing but, yeah so like it's sort of an interesting. Thing vitality is quite an interesting topic if and, look we're one big ball of chemistry and. Physics everyone stop talking shit like soul mine fucking divine. This at the end of the, day we are a whole lot of chemical, reactions and if our body is not producing certain, chemicals by virtue of things are working as. Well you, know your balls might not be producing the same amount of testosterone when you're you, know six years they were when you're, twenty, obviously because they've been gone for forty more forty years. Extra you, know that makes. Sense you, know just like a car or, whatever there's mechanics involved as a result of, that you don't have the same level of vitality vitality being meaning you, know the same amount of chemistry flating around your, system so there might be a. Dosage they might actually help you get back some of that. Chemistry most Of Joe rogan AND i talk about all the. TIME i, Mean, australia by the, way is not that. ENVIRONMENT us is that. Environment AND i don't Think Joe rogan or WHAT i don't pick on it With, joe BUT i don't think those people are doing it because they want to win a world title or they or because they you, Know joseph a jiu jitsu, guy because he wants to beat everyone in the jiu jitsu, gym probably everyone he's competing against us doing it as. WELL i think it's more about just having a better, lifestyle being able to do more, things, yeah for a longer period of, time instead of just accepting the status quo WHEN i turned sixty five or. Retire yeah, quietly our mother lawns and over a period of twenty years Old, carcket that's just.
Speaker 3: Bullshit, yeah it's bullshit at That And.
Speaker 1: I'm not, suggesting by the, Way, James, Sorry i'm not, suggesting SAY i should be doing doing what you're going to be about to. Do i'm not suggesting it for a, moment but WHAT i am suggesting is this is something that people should pay attention to because what you're about to do might inform us about something else that we should be considering or thinking about in terms of how we live a better life for a longer period of time without without the, danger, yeah without without putting ourselves at. Risk.
Speaker 3: Correct and when people sit back and, say why are people backing these?
Speaker 2: Games why has this got billion dollars billionaires backing it and so much, funding and what's the? Outcome that's your outcome if we sit back and watch a documentary at the end of this produced By Ridley, scott so obviously the highest quality documentary you can.
Speaker 3: Produce so we sit there and we watch these.
Speaker 2: Athletes we watch a thirty three year old athlete come back to their former, glory swim faster than any athlete in, history which physiologically shouldn't be possible at thirty, three go through the, process see behind the scenes of the, testing the medical, enhancements all of that, stuff and see a lack of or no side.
Speaker 3: Effects we're going to sit back and, go, OH i.
Speaker 2: Thought you know when people said, TESTOSA i was thinking of the guy down at the, gym you, know against the heart of his, boot and you know it ended up with hairy back and a Big adam's. Apple it's the stigma attached to it can be taken. Away and, this this this endeavor can actually advance humanity quite a lot and quality quality of, life, yeah quality of life for men and women around the. World AND i sit back and think about that and THINK i could play a major role in this, huge huge project and be almost a centerpiece of. It and you sit back and you look at, that and you go a million dollars like. Whatever like you, know you work hard enough in any industry over a period of, time you can you can earn a million. Dollars but to be a part of something that alter's history very, rarely and it may not it may not order. History you might not break the world, record but you've got to do these things in order to find it with you can or? Not, yeah you can't, say WELL i might. Not Therefore i'm not going to.
Speaker 1: TRY i, mean great, adventurers one thing about human human, evolution one thing where good good at is trying things that helps us evolve ahead of everything every other. Species and this might sound a little bit outlandish what you're, doing BUT i think it's a it's not me doing the, experiment but it's. You but at the same, time it's an experiment THAT i have a great deal of interest. IN i, Mean i'm going to be really. CURIOUS i definitely would watch that production of THE tv production Because i'm actually curious about what are the net side effects what you're going to. Experience AND i presume they're going to document this sort of, stuff And i'm going to say HOW i, feel and MAYBE i can't, sleep OR i can, sleep Or i'm sleeping worse or, better or maybe you become. Aggressive you don't become, aggressive you. Know i'm just actually really interested to hear about all this, stuff particularly since it's going to be t traded to. You so you're going to have doctors making sure that this is perfected for your, physiology and that basically what it means is that you don't have to go and become one of these gym guys who turn out looking like gorillas over a two year period because they're taking all this mad stuff you can actually just be have a, normal, normal more normal athletic. Phyzeke, yeah anything you're worried.
Speaker 2: About, yeah the reputation THING i don't care. ABOUT i took that on board pretty, quickly sat, down had to do some thinking about, reputation and THEN i, thought, right, well when it boils down to, it what is reputation at the end of the, Day and it's people's opinion of you for the most part that you don't.
Speaker 3: Know so whose opinion DO i care?
Speaker 2: About quickly thought about, that you, know and then spoke to those people and beyond, that people can think what they. Want that doesn't affect me the side. Effects the only thing That i'm worried about is. Fertility i'm thirty. THREE i don't have kids, yet But i'm getting close to the.
Speaker 1: Age he DOES i mean to go and get some sperm frozen or whatever the case may.
Speaker 3: Be, YEAH i. Don't, yeah, YEAH i probably will free some sperm just in. Case. Yep.
Speaker 1: Management, yeah so risk is something in news that can be?
Speaker 2: Managed, yeah, yeah, correct, Correct that's that was the only thought and the main one from from my. Partner you, know she's she's brought that up straight, away and my parents brought that up straight. Away that was the only one from a medical, perspective because people keep saying to, me these things are, untried they're, Untested they're not that they're actually not that they're created for a, reason they have a medical, purpose but they've been they're being. Used there's there's sports In america right now that the athletes are using these things as we. Speak you, know there's athletes in some sports playing well into their. Forties everyone, goes, oh they're freaks of.
Speaker 3: Nature they.
Speaker 1: Are they are in terms of. Talent they are in terms of talent, now but their longevity in the sport is, enhanced so to. Speak, yeah for. Sure and it doesn't mean it's, fake, no just, enhanced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, correct.
Speaker 2: Correct and so these things are already out there that it's far less speculative than. People first. Thing you, know they think you're doing things that you, know the that were being done in the nineteen to Eighty olympics by flow jo or you, know things have progressed a long.
Speaker 1: Way who by the, way you, know unfortunately passed away early because obviously they were not doing it in a proper.
Speaker 2: Way because she's trying to beat a system to hide it to probably using too much at the wrong times.
Speaker 1: Like, that that's why they end all the wrong things and the wrong.
Speaker 3: Things, yeah that's where this.
Speaker 2: Is it's so transparent And i'm in the process at the, moment talking with my own team and. PEOPLE i was saying the other, Day i'd like to just employ a videographer.
Speaker 3: In house full time.
Speaker 2: Document, It, yeah to follow me, around BUT i imagine like going to a medical clinic and documenting it and then me saying to camera, TODAY i took one hundred milligrams to test.
Speaker 3: AND i felt like this in the.
Speaker 2: Pool you, KNOW i woke up with a herd on like a sixteen year old in the morning AND i cried myself to.
Speaker 3: SLEEP i don't know whatever the side.
Speaker 2: Effects but just be completely. Transparent it's never. Happened, yeah, yeah it's never. Happened AND i think that's the awesome OPPORTUNITY i have at the. Moment and it probably fits my personality where you can YouTube.
Speaker 1: Series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah sometimes to a, Fault i'm too honest about things and WHEN i speak, publicly but it kind of suits my personality TO, yea be one hundred percent transparent with this and just tell people this is What i'm. Doing this is How i'm doing, It this is How i'm, feeling and here's my performance.
Speaker 1: This swimmers Do vo two.
Speaker 3: Max we. Do it's pretty tough to do because you're in the water now that you're.
Speaker 1: Jumping do you get it on a bike or get it on a running machine and do?
Speaker 2: It there's a version of it. Swimming is it that we can? Do, yeah that we've done. PREVIOUSLY i Think i've done the bike. One i've never done the treadmill.
Speaker 1: One it'll be interesting to see Your vio two, max like if you take a like do a benchmark, now like you start it, now, yeah, yeah, yeah and then just watch it and then watch it as you progress in your, training maybe every month or something like. That you probably should document this like as you, say like video, videographer but then when you get on the, stuff then start to see how Your vio two max. Changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah the companies i'm speaking to An america will do testing on that as well because they want that for their own records as. Well but, yeah it'd be awesome to be able to do it all In. Australia BUT i just don't think where progressed. Enough we haven't got our heads around it enough to do the full process here In.
Speaker 1: Australia, yeah so will you When i'm going no doubt this is not going to happen until after The olympics because they've got to pick some people out of The olympics they want to put on the. Program, yeah and then it's going to happen sometime next. Year will you move to THE us to do your training and everything?
Speaker 2: ELSE i will Do i'd say camps and you do like a fight? Camp, ye do like a fight camp in THE.
Speaker 1: Us maybe twelve wed, Period.
Speaker 2: Yeah eight to twelve weeks with doctors with, facilities being able to dive off.
Speaker 3: Blocks i'm being allowed to film it a pull shout Out city Of Sydney.
Speaker 2: Council just, yeah with a bit more freedom to do, things to move around and to have. ACCESS i, mean theoretically doctors could prescribe all those things In. AUSTRALIA i just don't know if they. WOULD i think there's too much stigma That, look they probably.
Speaker 1: Get nervous that they're going to get. Canceled, yeah effectively by their own. Profession. YEAH i, mean and you, know look look at it happened To Charlie. Tier you, know like you, know obviously he's a good surgeon and basically it went against the grain and that doesn't work that well In. Australia, yeah so there's too much risk and as also you get dragged into. It so you're probably better off out of, side out of, mind tope of.
Speaker 3: THING i.
Speaker 1: Think, So and do you do it like like you don't it every day for the next twol? Months do you do it like in a? Period like that's a.
Speaker 2: Current that's the current discussions at the, moment trying to reverse engineer from the games when they'll be because so much needs to unfold after The Paris. Olympics i'd say the announcements will be made early next year around, athletes, locations broadcast, partners host, country all that kind of, stuff but be sort of early next. Year BUT i need to reverse, engineer like what's the optimal amount of time and probably to know some of those, THINGS i need to do testing and understand where my body is at. Physiologically now you know where is my testosherund? Level now whereas you know all my hormone, levels how's my? Recovery so, Yeah i'm Still i'm still split in. Opinion like let's SAY a cycle is twelve weeks sixteen? Weeks DO i do one cycle leading into the. Game So i'm peaking at The games And i've done a full.
Speaker 3: Cycle is that? Enough DO i need to do a couple of?
Speaker 2: Cycles or AM i going to be doing really low level dosages WHERE i can just do a six month period of progressive like.
Speaker 1: Every day every? Day? Yeah who's going to advise you? On this is pretty? Scientific so you get pretty? Scientific you a scientist or some sort of, Person so be equal.
Speaker 2: Parts the medical team from within The Enhanced games and my own personal.
Speaker 3: Advisor in that.
Speaker 1: Space and do they give that person to you or you have to find that.
Speaker 2: Person i'll find someone, anyway BECAUSE i wanted a second opinion.
Speaker 1: After russia for a.
Speaker 3: While they know the.
Speaker 2: Future, Yeah i've been speaking to some people at the, moment and the People i'm speaking with have worked with those. Names we've mentioned That Andrew, humans The Joe rogan's over in that same part of The, States so you, Know i'll probably get myself over To, austin.
Speaker 3: Meet with them and go from.
Speaker 1: There it's, funny it's sort of it feels like every traditional format of, sport, golf, tennis, boxing perhaps In Olympics, live the live type, stuff the destructor the. Disruptors you, know these are all being. FUNDED a lot of these have been funded out of super rich, people out Of Saudi. Arabia but you know there's plenty super rich people In america who are probably thinking the same. Thing let's disrupt what's always, happened and let's just see where it. Lands it is, divisive it may well. Be let's make a silly hypothesis half the world hates, it but it doesn't matter if half the world loves. It that's a big. Audience and at the end of the, day you can't make everybody happy in whatever you. Disrupt if you can GET i, mean it's a silly, example but if you can get half the world, supported it's actually quite a good commercial proposition For deal and his cohort from a business point of. View But i'd say what goes well beyond That for those, INDIVIDUALS i think they're probably thinking a bit Like. Live in terms of, golf are there people who want to see a different? FORMAT i, Mean Kerry packer was the first to wel series. Cricket how do we challenge cricket? Correct and a lot of people criticize the hell out of. Him but now it's the format one. Day it's just it is now the. Format and PERHAPS i don't, know but perhaps there might be in parallel and you might be part of, it you, know because the you, know and you remember the people who you probably won't be probably too, young but you wouldn't have been born, actually but the you, know the the you, know The World Series cricket individuals And one day, cricketers the names that he had to drag. In, yeah they were well known people like you.
Speaker 2: Are WHEN i look at those, disruptors the end, BENEFICIARIES i believe are always the athletes because options create increased funding that becomes a bidding. War when you look At Super, League Live, Golf One day, cricket whenever there's been, disruptors the, athletes they generally that the world equalizes. Eventually and you See live golf AND pga now trying to come to. Terms Super league AND arl came to. Terms One day cricket And test cricket came to.
Speaker 1: TERMS i See Craig james is doing the. Moment he's got the in the jiu, jitsu he's got the cg The CRAIG Cj games or something of that where it's taking ON. Ufc, yeah, yeah, Yeah AND i actually heard Done away being interviewed about it and he just, said, oh it's a great, idea even though you know it's sort of having sort of looking at competing WITH.
Speaker 2: UFC i, guess but it's a million dollar. Price, yeah the million dollars. Helps BUT i think imagine for the life span Of olympic. Athletes let's just use swimming as an. Example so most swimmers are done by late. Twenties let's say twenty, seven that's an. Average let's say they complete Their olympic, career they get to twenty, seven that they're a little bit beat, Up they've got some. Injuries they, GO i can actually now go to the Enhanced games for more, money for increased medical.
Speaker 3: SUPPORT i can heal up these, INJURIES i can.
Speaker 2: Feel, BETTER i can raise, faster AND i can prolong my career and provide for my family and the people that made sacrifices to get me to this point of WHERE i am. Currently because you, know as a Current olympic, athlete it's not that financially rewarding unless.
Speaker 3: You're your tippity tipitty.
Speaker 2: Top SO i think the biggest benefactors in all of this again will be the. Athletes we're going to show for the, world you, know these new methodology that can be used in everyday, life and that's. Exciting but for, athletes AND i know a lot of athletes That i've spoken, to they're sitting back watching this very closely thinking is this my next?
Speaker 1: Move final question for, you how much of this is exciting To James magnuson because he's the sort of guy who just doesn't like being told what he, is how he's going to live his, life what to, do huge, part huge. Part the first thing that's Very, australian by the, way the first, thing you.
Speaker 2: Know a lifeguard came up over to us the other day AND i was, swimming and he, said you can't dive on the blocks and he walked. Away and the first THING i said to the GUY i was, SWIMMING i, said, FUCK i hate being told what to.
Speaker 3: Do that's.
Speaker 1: Me it's funny How i've always been the same type of. PERSON i remember WHEN covid was, on AND i remember one DAY i. Walked you, know you wouldn't to go ANYWHERE i. WALKED i used to go up to The botannial guards because my off is not far from, there AND i just thought it was a nice sunny. Day it was the middle of. WINTER i, Thought i'm just gonna walk with The Batannon, gards gonna sit down in the. Sun be. Nice because my office was across the. Road and the dude walked up to me and he from the gardens, there and he said to, me you can't sit.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: MMM i was.
Speaker 1: Amazing no one, here they joined, empty so you can't sit. THERE i, said why CAN'T i? See they, said because of THE covid. RULES i, said what are you talking, about LIKE covid? Rules AND i, Said i'm not, Moving i'm. Staying and he, said, well i'll call, security call it if you. LIKE i don't give you a. Ship for a moment THAT i, THOUGHT i don't want to have to fight a whole lot of. Blokes BUT i got a head of steam up BECAUSE i just think it's part of the fabric of Us. Australians we don't want to do. It everyone else in the world has done like. This How australia. Started you, know all our forebears were people who were probably still on lofe for bread because they were because they were starving to, death or they Are irish living In liverpool because the famine had been an, island had gone across The liverpool to get a, job trying to get some makes to, live just AS i had to steal, something you, KNOW i look back On i've looked back on my mother's side of the. Family one of our one of her descendants or people she's descended, from got sent To australia for steel billing a coat in the middle of winter from a. Policeman was about, me but still that's what the person got convicted, of and we sent To australia on one of the ships as a. Convict but the person was just trying to stay, warm and we, are AND i Think cove is a great. Example we were being told we're not having a crack at vaccines or anything That i'm not in any vaccine me, wrong but just being told what to do all the time without enough evidence to back up whether or not it's actually the right thing to do or the wrong thing to do as, Well and what you're going to participate is in something that's going to try and perhaps solve that, question what is the right, level what is the right dost can we do or can't we? Do it doesn't make us have more. Vitality it's worth a. Crack and by the, way it's an individual's choice at the end of the. Day and it's not even being. Nonconformance it's just SAYING i got the ability to make a, choice And i'm going to make that. Choice and if you don't like, it.
Speaker 3: That's okay by me. Too, yeah that's, it And i'll cover.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: Sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah whatever the outcome, is the outcome is my, body my. Risk i'll do IT i think is right for, me and it's Not and as long as it's not, dangerous it's. Okay, yeah SO i, reckon it's fucking.
Speaker 2: AWESOME i keep saying to people is you, know, people whether they, say you, KNOW i hate, IT i love, it or whatever their, reaction.
Speaker 3: Just be patient on this. One sit, back let it roll. Out, yeah you're not taking any.
Speaker 2: Risks sit, back watch it, unfold watch what, happens and at the end of this, process sit, down watch the, documentary watch my. Race then give me your. Opinion, yeah because now it's all. Hypotheticals you, KNOW i think this is. Bullshit, this you know, why just, Relax sit, back watch, it let it. Unfold let me take the. Risks i'm the risk. Taker i've done that my whole. LIFE i love that. SHIT i live in that. World let me take the. Risk you sit, back you, watch and then make your opinion at the end of.
Speaker 1: It some of the greatest discoveries in medicine, today and in, fact we have Two Nobel prize winners out Of West australia who took a, bacteria The hellia back To pylori, bacteria ingested it themselves to see whether or not they would cause an ulcer in the, stomach and they want A Nobel prize because it. Didn't and they realized that stomach ulcers largely apart from taking nassas and sort of some chemicals that may cause your, problem stomach ulcers are largely caused by a bacteria which they ingested themselves to prove the. Point and if they hadn't done, that we would never have got the answer to why we get stomach ulcers and therefore and we would never have worked out what the remedy for stomach ulcers are as an. Antibiotic and as a result of these two dudes Won Nobel prizes And i'm not putting up in The Nobel prize, category but it's sort of that's part of the. PROCESS i, mean we don't discover things about ourselves unless someone a person or persons are prepared to take a. Risk all the differences here is is it's been. Made it's a bit hollywoodish and that has been. Made there's a bit OF tv series made out blah blah blah, blah and there's a games and they're calling it a. Game it is probably is sort of offended a few, people but it is part of an experiment and we will never know unless someone tries. It so good, Righting James. Magerson i'm going to call you the scud missile now the. Missile thanks very much made and good luck to.
Speaker 3: You thanks, man