Speaker 1: She said, it's now never I got fighting in my blood.
Speaker 2: I'm tiff This is Roll with the punches and we're turning life's hardest hits into wins. Nobody wants to go to court, and don't. My friends at test Art Family Lawyers know that they offer all forms of alternative dispute resolution. Their team of Melbourne family lawyers have extensive experience in all areas of family law to facto and same sex couples, custody and children, family violence and intervention orders, property settlements and financial agreements. Test Art is in your corner, so reach out to Mark and the team at www dot test Artfamilylawyers dot com dot au. Richard Tedesky, welcome to Roll with the Punches.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, Tiffany. Happy to be here talking with.
Speaker 2: You, Oh, very happy to be here with you. My show is all about rolling with the punches, and you are the epitome of that. You seem to have immersed yourself and your life work into that area.
Speaker 3: Well, good, good, I look forward to the conversation.
Speaker 2: I guess tell us tell myself and my audience a little bit about you and what landed you in this line of work.
Speaker 3: Well, right now, I'm executive director of a nonprofit in the US called the Bouldercrest Foundation, and that was founded by a US Navy veteran who wanted to provide services to wounded veterans, military service members and then ultimately first responders as well, and he created this beautiful retreat center on his property in Virginia outside of Washington, d C. And I've been involved in the past eleven years in developing programs there based on this concept of post traumatic growth that I developed with my colleague Lawrence Calhoun when as at the University of North Carolina Charlotte for many years in the psychology department there. So we've taken this concept that Lawrence and I researched a great deal and we've been applying it at Bouldercrest to helping veterans and first responders, primarily who have trauma histories, and we're focused on how to approach those events in their lives from a perspective where they can continue to find value and meaning and purpose in what they're doing, even though they've been through things that are very difficult, traumatic and put them in some pretty dark places. So we want them to see what's still possible for them and to encourage them on a new life path in the aftermath of all of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what piked your interest or what was your path to getting into that work. Was it psychology? Did you always have an interest in that?
Speaker 3: Well? I guess the initial work on post traumatic growth that I did with Lawrence Calhoun was back actually in the nineteen eighties. We coined the term in nineteen ninety five after about ten years of work looking at trauma survivors and really looking at the concept of where wisdom comes from life wisdom and how it develops, and looking at the possibility that develops because people have to go through a crucible of really challenging circumstances that focused them on new ways of understanding how to live life. We did a lot of research people who had suffered physical disabilities, people who had been bereaved, and then all kinds of different sorts of people in terms of confronting traumatic events, natural disasters, illnesses, all kinds of things. And then ultimately I ended up working with the military starting the early two thousands, training military mental health professionals. And it's through that work that I eventually met ken Falk and we started working on these programs for Bouldercrest Foundation.
Speaker 2: What are you what's your definition of post traumatic growth? Which seems like is it as simple as it seems or what have you learned?
Speaker 3: Well, in some ways it's it is as simple as it seems. It's the positive changes that happened with people in the aftermath of traumatic events as a process of struggle with those events, and in that struggle, coming up with new perspectives on who they are, the kind of life they want to live, how they want to be in this world. So positive changes that happen to people as a result of the struggle with traumatic events.
Speaker 2: It was really interesting to me. I found when I reflect back, I think I developed a real appreciation for the hard stuff and gratitude for what was on the other side of it for me, And that was really the precipice of starting this show, where I was like, how come some people go through hard things and they end up stronger and better for it, they end up growing, And how come some people find themselves stuck? Like the hard thing is the anchor? And what can we control and what can we learn and how much control do we have?
Speaker 3: Well, one of the things that is important in this although it may not account for everything, but one thing that's very important is who you're with in the aftermath of those events, the kind of people that you're surrounded by. And that's why we have focused in our work at Bouldercrest on a program that uses peers to help people, and so we don't do psychotherapy. We're not a psychology program or psychiatry program. We have peers that is first responders and military service members and veterans who provide the programming because, first of all, it's important that people are struggling with these things are connected with someone they can trust who will understand them. So one of the advantageous ways of approaching that problem of trust and connection is to get people involved with those who are are most likely to understand because they have some experience in that world that a person is in. So we try to emphasize the importance of expert companionship, having companions in the aftermath of these difficult events who will be trusted and who will be able to show empathy, and who will listen well and listen in a particular way, not as people who come at the problem through expertise of you know, sort of academic nature, but the expertise of being a person, being a connected person who would be a good listener and who will want to learn from the person who's struggling what it's like to be that person to go through what they're going through, and by learning that person being able to be a companion with them forward through whatever they're going through. So to have someone in your world like that can make a big difference in terms of being one of those who find this post traumatic growth experience. So that's a big factor. That's a big factor.
Speaker 2: I remember I mentioned you just Paul, we went on that. One of my favorite first guests was Captain Charlie Plumb, and I remember hearing of his experience what he went through being a prisoner of war for six years. They horrific talt the conditions, and I remember just thinking, what are we missing? Because what because something about what they were doing has allowed them to grow from this experience and come out of it supported and strong considering what they've been through. When really you think about everything that was thrown at them was to break human spirit and they couldn't do it. They couldn't break their spirit with all of that. So and I remember him talking about the way that they connected and developed a way to communicate, and the way that they celebrated things, and the way they taught each other. So for me, it was something about that human connection, that relationship that I think when we're out in this busy, disconnected world, we miss a lot of that, don't we.
Speaker 3: That's one of the things that's so dangerous about our world is the way we can get disconnected and it can reknock with us, especially when we hit real challenges in life. And Charlie, of course I know Charlie and and he's a remarkable man, and he has his way of describing how those prisoners of war supported one another for all those years in circumstances where it was really difficult to communicate and to support. I mean, they found them craziest ways of keeping together and letting each other know that they weren't alone. So in our world now, where we can feel very disconnected for all sorts of reasons, it's important to define those ways and to make sure that we find those companions for us through these difficult times.
Speaker 2: Given how many years you've been diving into this research and understanding it, and how much the world has changed, like in twenty twenty five since the nineteen eighties. Do you feel like it's hard to make progress at the pace that the world is kind of pushing us in the opposite direction?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the world certainly is pushing us into a very fast piece. I think. I think we all realize that so many changes, so quickly, so many challenges, and you know, the scary parts of the world are really at our doorsteps or on our computers or our phones or wherever. We're confronted with like the worst of the world all the time, you know, immediately, so the world can start to look like a very disorienting sort of place and a scary place to engage. So so that's that's one of the challenges for for all of us as we're even if you're not paying too close attention, you're almost it almost comes at you, you know. So we've got all that to deal with. Never never mind what's very personal and in our lives, you know, in our families and our personal lives very close to us. So we've got all of that to deal with. It's a lot and and and in all of that there is still possibilities though the other side of it is, you know, there are possibilities for connection that we never had before. Like look at us. You know, we're talking across continents, across the international dateline, like we're in the same room and and so we're connected where you know, in years past, this and this wouldn't have been possible. So so there's that part of it too, which means that people can understand one another in very different places because we all have human experiences that can bind us together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I find is more important when it comes to unders like when we've been through trauma and we're looking for support or healing or making sense of it, Like, is there a hierarchy between our mind, our mindset, our logical understanding and narrative, and then the connection to the body and what trauma lives in the body and how we interpret that.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, events that are at least potentially traumatic have an effect on our whole system, how we think, our emotional system, and our bodies, because our thinking and emotion is based on what's going on in our bodies, and our bodies respond to our emotions. It's it's it's all a constant loop of interconnections. So we're completely and holistically involved in the response to these kinds of things. So anybody who has been faced with trauma has probably experienced the intense emotion of uh fear as a big part of it. And you know, you fear, you'll you'll feel fear in your body. You know, you're if you feel out of control of your own body when you're afraid sometimes and then you're you know, you have trouble thinking straight, can't make you know, make decisions very easily, and you know your your emotions are deeply affected and very intense, and so all of you is just disoriented by fear in these traumatic circumstances. That's that's the big thing in postraumatic growth. We're also focused on the aftermath of trauma because I mentioned in the definition it's the positive changes that happen in the aftermath of trauma. So you know, in the days, weeks, and even years after these sorts of events have occurred, you know, we're going through a or a process of just trying to figure out the chaos, you know, what happened to us, where does this leave us? And trying to reorganize ourselves in the aftermath of that chaos so that we can we can figure out how to live in a way that makes sense when everything has been kind of up for grabs because kind of trauma disorientces in terms of how we understand ourselves in our world and our life path, and we don't know what to make of it, and we have to, you know, reconstruct all of that. It affects our whole system, and it has ripple effects that go on for long periods of time very often, and it's a lot of work to try to reorient ourselves in a way that is sensible.
Speaker 2: What's your take on resilience.
Speaker 3: Well, resilience, of course means that we are not really deeply affected by events because we can withstand them, or we can bounce back from them really quickly. You know, we'd all like to be resilient and not be much affected by difficulties in life. So resilience is a really good thing. But the fact of the matter is sometimes we're not you know, sometimes we're not resilient, or we encounter events that overwhelm our capabilities, and sometimes the concept of resilience can kind of backfire. Like I remember, I remember working with some people who were studying nurses in the aftermath of the pandemic the COVID nineteen pandemic, and the nurses were saying that they were really struggling in these hospitals and trying to provide care and these terrible circumstances. And the message they got from their administration, which was well meaning, was you're resilient. You can deal with this because you are strong and resilient. But they weren't feeling that way. They weren't feeling strong and resilient, and the message they were getting sounded to them like they weren't understood, or that there was something wrong with them if they weren't resilient. You know, it's like I do feeling resilient, so what's wrong with me? You know? So sometimes that resilience concept can backfire when we're not feeling it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think that sometimes resilience is is something else stressed up, like suppression of emotions and not dealing with not dealing with something that is happening, maybe even dissociation that he's going to look like resilience, But at some point it can be the straw that breaks the camel's back. And so I find in today's world so many things, you know, like so much talk around resilience and do the hard thing, just do. The hard thing is the messaging out there, like just if you want to get resilient, do more hard things. And sometimes I think, well, that's if we're not opening the door on what's really happening underneath, or we don't know our bodies and realize that actually we're suppressing everything. There's stuff going on that we're out of touch with inside us. What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 3: Well, that's kind of like the nurses I was mentioning, And it's so hard sometimes to know what's going on with another person just by looking at their outsides, you know, and they can look real strong and resilient, but they're struggling, you know. And frankly, this is not to be too stereotypical, but men are more prone to this. They're scared to death of emitting vulnerability, and so they put up a good front, you know. They can't cry, they can't show weakness, they can't ask for help, all that kind of stuff, and it's really debilitating. And I'm sure that many people, maybe people listening to this program, have known people who who looked like they were doing really well, but then in the end, something terrible happened with them. You know, they seem to break apart some people. Some people kill themselves, and people are shocked, like I can't believe it. You know, he was always so happy, or he seemed to be doing so well or whatnot. How could that have happened? That doesn't make any sense, you know. So sometimes it's it's really a terrible disaster like that. So a lot of people do put up a good front, and sometimes people put up a good front to themselves, like you're saying, by not allowing themselves to explore their own feelings in their own internal world to see what's going on with them until it starts to really get the better of them. And then and then you got the people who suppress it with self medication, you know, alcohol and drugs and all those sorts of or other kinds of activities that try to you know, they try to avoid what they can't face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I always talk about my relationship with boxing in that exact manner. Was this My understanding of myself for my first thirty years was this independent, strong, brave, courageous, bloody thing. And eventually I started to have to question that and go, actually, these things that look like strength and independence and courage. If I don't feel fear about the things I'm doing that people think are courageous, then that's not really courage. That's me painting a picture of courage. What is it that actually scares me? And I had to kind of go hunting for it? I had to. I think that for me, the physical nature of boxing brought me back in touch with my body and physical sensations and it started to unravel a bit of self deep self awareness. And that's where this, I guess this sparked my interest and went, well, what is everyone's experience? And when you know, I think about it all the time, the conversations I have in this show, which are just curious around learning from others and understanding and hopefully uncovering resources that other people can connect with, but also being very conscious and aware that everyone is in a different and I have at different times I have been a different person if someone had come to me Richard when I was in my late twenties, before I had that revelation and said, hey, you know how you think, Hey, TIV, you know you think you're all brave and courageous and independent, You're actually you know, you're actually the opposite of all that, or to punished him in the face in the boxing ring. Of course, you know, like I wasn't ready, and so I'm I think about that in these conversations and at all of the different stages of experience and awareness and other people's actual physical circumstances and what I don't know or haven't experienced, and what you might know or have an experienced, and we try and communicate from these different places. That was a long winded rant, wasn't it, thoughts Well, well.
Speaker 3: That's because it's your lived experience, right, yeah, resonated right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: What are you with your with Bouldercrest? What are the things that aside from the relationships which you spoke about, what are the other tools that help people?
Speaker 3: Well, we we talked different about some different elements in our programs. So we have one program where people come to one of our facilities for a week and it's these are in rural places in the United States, beautiful places where you can find serenity, and we're in rural areas that are really beautiful, and we work with people in small groups about eight or so. And then we have other programs where we go out to organizations usually military bases or police departments or fire departments, places like that, prisons, you know, and work with staff in groups of maybe twenty five. So no matter which kind of when we're using, though, we're first trying to educate people on this idea of how events can affect people physically and psychologically, how their challenges and what happens to us, and that when we react this way physically and psychologically to these challenging events, even though we might feel like we're not ourselves or we feel like we're breaking down or something crazy about us or disordered or whatever, and we might be labeled that by some well meaning doctors or whatever, that these reactions we're having are just human reactions because we're human beings, and human beings respond a certain way to get hit with these kinds of events. So first's education about that where people learn that there's nothing wrong with them, it's what happened to them. And a lot of the people have come to us and been told to do something wrong with them. You know, they've had diagnosed sees and all kinds of medications and things like that, so you know, you're you're broken, you know, and and we tell them no, you're not, You're just a human being that's gone through some ship. So so so that's one thing. And then we help them with emotional regulation, because, as you're saying, you know, these these reactions are are really difficult to manage. So we we help people regulate their emotions. We teach them meditation, and we teach them how to breathe properly, and you know, how to how to have some ways of calming some of these reactions that they have, which are autonomic nervous system reactions just natural when you're in a state of fear in the aftermath of that. So then we then we have we try to help people talk or express in some way what they're going through so they're not just keeping it all to themselves and they're connecting with the people in their group, which is a remarkable thing that happens. I just love it. That's why I love, you know, group work. When you see people who take the chance to tell other people about their struggles and then other people start joining in and everybody everybody say, oh, you mean we're all in the same boat. Oh my goodness, I thought I was. I thought I was the only one. You know, you know, you too, Wow? Okay, maybe we're not all so bad off that or we're all crazy, but we know we're not. Because you you look like you're pretty good. I thought I was. So if you're pretty good and you're like me, maybe I'm pretty good. It's an amazing thing that when people start doing this, and you know, one of the things that's so cool about our programs we do. We in some of our programs we write in songwriters from Nashville country music songwriters, professional songwriters who wrote for the biggest country music acts. They come in and they spend they spend a day just talking to the people in our group and about what they went through, and out of that lyrics develop. They take the words of the people in the group and they create lyrics and they create a song out of it. And we've got all these songs, unbelievably beautiful songs written by these groups of veterans or first responders and a Nashville songwriter and it's amazing, like they could be on, you know, they could be on, they could be streamed, and their beautiful songs. So whatever the way of expressing might be through song or writing and write or talk, we have all kinds of ways of doing this, and then out of that we help people develop with their story is story of their lives, how they got to where they are, So they see the overall picture of you know, how they grew up, how they hit some things in their lives that were difficult, what's been happening to them, and the most important thing, where they're going next? What next? And the aftermath of all this? Where are they headed? Where could they go? What's the next chapter in the story. And we encourage the next chapters to be stories of service where they focus not on themselves and their own struggles so much as what values do I have? What have I learned? What can I bring to other people? How can I serve in a new way or a different way connected with other people, and help them develop a plan of service, and that may be within their families, it could be in their neighborhood of communities, it could be whatever resonates for them, whatever, and that way they start writing the new chapter what their lives are going to be going forward in a way that's really a value. So that's that's kind of the that's kind of the overall I don't know schematic of how we approach things at Bouldercrest, and it's all based on this post traumatic growth concept and all those steps that I just mentioned to you have been developed out of the research that we did for many years at UNC Charlotte, learning about what the process looks like when people live in the aftermath of traumatic events in a way which brings them into these growth perspectives. And we learned about that process through our research listening to people, and now we can take that and offer it back to facilitate this process and people that come to our programs.
Speaker 2: I love that so much, and I love the emphasis on that expression, finding a way to express If I, if I had any choice of what I came back as in my next life, it would be a singer songwriter. Like I think it would be the greatest gift to be able to express your deepest self and turn it into music that other people can connect to. I can't sing very well, Richard a lip sing happy birthday in front of family. I'm that musically gifted, But I love it.
Speaker 3: Think about it, tifany You know what happens in these in these in these groups do we do that they take things that are terrible that they've all experienced, and they offer it up to this songwriters helping them with that. And then the and see what happens is the songwriter takes all these lyrics, all these words and everything, and then the next day the songwriter comes in and says, Okay, I'm going to play your song for you, and and they play this song. You know, usually just have a guitar lay a song, and what has been terrible is this beautiful thing. It's been terrible is turned into this beautiful thing that connects them all in the group, all of them here, all of them have their piece of that song because they've been heard, they've listened to, and it's been transformed into this beautiful work of art. So that and that's that's a great metaphor for their lives, right, that that what is terrible can be transformed into something valuable and useful, and that that can connect and resonate with other people, a perfect metaphor for their path going forward.
Speaker 2: What keeps some people stuck? Why do some people, even if just for a period of time, hold on to that thing like an anchor, or become really identified. Yeah, I think that can be said about just labels in general. It's labeling something can be really positive by way of giving us words and and an understanding of what's happening. But it could equally become an anchor that we attached to. So what have you learned about that?
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot of reasons that I don't think I know all of them. But like I said, sometimes you just don't have the right people around you, who who you can feel you can trust and understand. So that may be one thing. Some people are immersed in some really negative habits which hold them back, some addictions and some other kinds of habits that make it hard for them to move forward to something positive. So there's that some people haven't found their way yet through things like guilt or blame. Guilt and blame are hard ones for people to get through sometimes. And then the other part of this, though, is when somebody is stuck, you know, they may just be stuck for this time, because this process of post traumatic growth happens over different periods of time for different people. So you take a snapshot of someone at one time and they look very stuck, you might come back some time later and they're not stuck anymore. So it's hard to tell who's going to remain stuck. Some people are going to remain stuck for the rest of their lives, or because of their stuckness, they prematurely end their lives because they can't find the hope to endure this stuck place anymore. You know, it's hard to say. Sometimes the pain is too great. It could be physical pain or psychological pain and just overwhelms some people and they don't they don't have the practices or support to endure it, you know. I mean, in your career in boxing, I'm sure a big part of what you had to figure out was how to endure pain and keep going. Yeah, and so maybe sometimes it's too hard for some certain people. So there's all kinds of ways that that can happen. But I just want to emphasize that just because you're stuck at one point doesn't mean you're going to be stuck next month or next year, you know, could be different.
Speaker 2: I always I find that the interesting part of healing or growing or evolving or whatever it is that we're doing is well. I think about and often talk about to people, like when I first decided to do a boxing fight, how do you become a good fight? Well, the number one thing for you to get through that fight is to learn to learn how to just get hit. You've got to be able to take a punch in the face and keep doing whatever terrible skill set you have for as long as you can whilst getting punched. But a couple of years down the track, when you've increase your skill, that's no longer the aim of the game. And that's what when I talk about resilience and I go like, I think we're all stuck on the beginnings of resilience where it's all about just wearing the hard punch or you just got to get punched in the face and keep going. It's like, well, no, because in a couple of years time now resilience looks different. Now resilience is learning how to not get hit, both with skill but also with the intention that, hey, I don't want to get hurt. I want to win the fight, but I don't want to get hurt in the process. Like when I started to develop self love, self care, self worth, I had a hard to challenge to manage in the boxing ring because all of a sudden, I could feel the punches and I didn't want to wear them at the cost of landing them. All of a sudden, I was like, Oh, it's harder for me to get in and get the punches because I don't want to wear them, because now I appreciate the fact that I don't want to get hurt, whereas but when I first started, I couldn't feel them. Oh, I was disassociated to a point and I would walk, I would wear anything, because it was all about just going I show you how tough I am and how much I can endure, because in silence, I'd endure it a lot over you know, Like, so there was this and that's just I guess self awareness, self understanding, and everybody's journey isn't the same. But that's why I find this topic so fascinating, because only I could know that for me, and only I could know when that change happens. So then when when you're running your groups and I'm dealing with groups of people and they're coming in with their version of the boxing ring or their version of a story, it's knowing that it's an ever evolving process. You're not talking to the same person, Like you're not the same Richard right now than you were forty minutes ago, because we've had a conversation and we might have said things and developed new understandings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, this perspective shift is something that you're talking about here that can be subtle, especially to the outsider, and you don't realize it's happening in someone. And so, for example, you're talking about how at one point in your career, let's say, your resilience was defined differently than it was at another point in your career, right, And so that's similar to what happens with this growth perspective where people will say, if you listen to them talk about their stories, they say things like, I thought I was living really well. I thought I had it figured out. I thought I was doing the right thing. But now I realized that now that really wasn't it. I've got a different way of seeing it now. So even though I would have given myself four stars in living you know, three years ago, now I would only give myself like two stars for that living. You know, you know, I've changed my whole measure of what good living looks like now that I have this perspective. So it's that shift in understanding what's valuable and what really makes sense in terms of living well that we see in this process which makes it very difficult sometimes when we're doing research to figure out how to measure these things, because you know, people will say they're doing really well, and then later they'll say they're doing really well, and if that's all you got, that's all you know. It looks like they have a change, you know. But what's happened is their new version of really well is different from their old version does really well. So it's a very tricky business, very tricky business.
Speaker 2: I remember across the years, like going to trying different therapies and things. And I remember a period of time when I was going to a therapist and I would think every time I'd be like, I don't even know what I'm going for, like everything's fine, I'll go anyway, and then things come up. But I remember one point where and this is like we evolve and we don't. We never give up. We push the goalpost and don't realize how much we're changing and evolving. And I remember as discussing a circumstance and she said to me, oh, that's that's very different to how you would have responded or approached it or whatever. And it was only in that moment when she sat and made me acknowledg and I went, oh, oh, I've changed a lot, and we forget that because we put ourselves stuck in this place. And like, I find that so valuable when people talk about therapy, like I'm such an advocate of you know, I'll have it whether I'm doing well or not doing well, like I've been doing well for a long time now, Like I haven't what. I don't perceive myself as having any real reason to need a therapist, but I continue to have a relationship with my therapist because I love the insights I get when I get to workshop the life of Tiff and see what's coming up with someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's right. So I guess you're you're recognizing that there's always more room for something, yeah, and you're just allowing that process to keep occurring rather than shut it down and say, Okay, I'm done, I'm good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And sometimes well not Sometimes. I think perspective is a little bit easier when you're not in the middle of some ship storm.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like when life is just cruising along, you can kind of sit back, look at it and go, Okay, what cat do I do things? And you see things differently because you're not in the middle of some chaotic, oh help me period of doing. I'm not coping with this thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, I think, you know. It's we also find though that a little bit of discomfort is a good thing, a good motivator for a change and change in perspective. So you can get too comfortable and complacent. Also, so something that's you know, just making you question a bit is is not a bad thing, but too much of it that when you're disoriented, you've got to get oriented enough to be able to think straight.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I love. The last couple of years I've been on just some short overseas trips and the last one, both of them were incredible just to get away and get perspective. The last one was literally life changing for me. I went to the Himalayas and we did a quite a spiritual kind of retreat and like just those moments where like we're sitting on the top of a mountain in the Himalayas, on top of them, I'm like that that is cloud underneath me. I'm looking down at the clouds underneath me, and the whole your whole life is just like oh, I'm everything and nothing like everything changed for me in that moment, And I love that. I love being able to have experiences like that that just go in this world where I'm in this tiny little suburb thinking a bit about these tiny little things.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, when you get that shift and perspective, yeah, that makes you start to think, Okay, from this perspective, how does it all look? Hows this life on living look? Then there's there's a lot really to consider. Yeah, it opens up a whole book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are yours? Do you have? How do you keep you well in the middle of life, especially when you work in an area where you're working you're kind of immersed in the prose traumatic growth space and trauma space. And how do you do you have non negotiables? What is your wellness philosophy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, you know, I'm not necessarily all that very good at it. Thanks for honesty, not all that good, but because because I work a lot. But I'll tell you I love I love the work I do. So for example, this foundation's Bouldercrest Foundation is just full of the most remarkable people. You know, you're talking about Charlie Plumb. You know Charlie Plumb is you know, part of us and you know, when you're around people like that, it's like, how fortunate can be to be to be able to talk to people with these experiences and just everybody I met through this, this work with Bouldercrest, now, these first responders and military people, that's not that's not I didn't grow up with. That wasn't part of that. But you know, just amazing, some really amazing people who are just so dedicated to service. Yeah, I just love to be around them. They're full of such good humor. I mean, that's the other thing, just so funny. I love humor. Humor really keeps me going, you know. And and there are people I can just relax with and we can and we know all we're doing good work and we're pulling together. And you know, our CEO, Josh Goldberg always emphasizes it's not important who gets the credit. We're not about that. It doesn't matter who gets the credit. It's our mission and it doesn't matter who gets credit as long as we're doing good work. So I love that. It makes everybody, you know, connect and support. So it's fun to be part of this group. And so that's one thing, just the people and the humor and the mission is something. You know. I feel so fortunate to be able to take the stuff that I've been working on in my life and see it utilized and changing people's lives. I mean, this is just amazing. I'm so grateful to Ken Falk who started this organization and brought me on board and we worked together to do this, and I'm so grateful that I got this opportunity. It's give my life such more meaning than it would have had if I just you know, the university was great, and I love teaching and students and all that, but this is a whole This is a whole different deal. I love my psychotherapy practice. Being a therapist is great. I mean, I've just been so lucky in doing work that's just so just love it all these different things. So that's that's part of it. I love being in beautiful places. You know. Where I live is beautiful. You know, I've been walking around today outside looking at all the flowers and everything and just I just love it. I just love the place, you know. I just love to look take it in.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I love my family. You know, I've had a wonderful weekend with family, and I love it when they love me so there's all that. I don't know. It's most it's mostly about the people. I guess when I start talking about it, it's all about the people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, as you were talking, I wrote down and I reckon they are the three big rocks. And when you when you set up something like you have and those boxes are ticked, you can't lose. And that's hope, purpose, and connection. When you've got a purpose bigger than you, when you've got connection with good people, and hope is a huge one and you're giving it to people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's it's a good life. It's good life. I appreciate it, and I and I and I've pay attention to what I'm grateful for. That's the other thing, you know, people, I've talked a lot in recent years about gratitude, the gratitude attitude or whatever, stuff like that. But the thing that it does when if you really practice it, is it changes the way you think. It changes your attention to the positive things in your life. Yeah, it forces your attention in that direction. So that's why thinking about what you're grateful for is so important, not just because you can recognize you're grateful for those things, but really changes your whole way of thinking about things so that when things get really rough, you still can recognize the positive aspects of your experience.
Speaker 2: I love it. You've been great. Tell us where we can go to find you online, some of your books. Where can we get some resources from you.
Speaker 3: Our website is Bouldercrest dot org. Bouldercrest dot org, so it's b O U L D E R c R E S t all one word bouldercrest dot org. And there's a ton of stuff there at that website. We've got some we got some books that are good. We've got one called Transformed by Trauma. Stories of Postraumatic Growth, So we publish that that it's a bunch of interviews with people who are good examples of post traumatic growth and they tell their stories and we kind of comment on how that describes the postmatic growth process and the different kinds of outcomes you see where people develop better relationships and see their new possibilities of their lives and their strength and our appreciative of their lives and really have a new spiritual sense of things. So those that's a good book. And then we have a workbook called the Postraumatic Growth Workbook, So people are interested in trying to help themselves through this process. That's another kind of resource. So we've we've got we got a lot of stuff there. People can gain a lot of think on that website.
Speaker 2: Awesome. I will have a link to that in the show notes. Thank you so much for both the conversation today and for doing the work you do well.
Speaker 3: I've enjoyed talking with you, Tiffany. You're a great interviewer and it's been like sitting down in our living room together and just chatting. So I've really enjoyed it. Thank you so much. It's good to hear in the Australian the Australian talk again. I've got some I've been to Australia a few times and I've got a really good friend there and she's great, and so I always like I always like hearing I.
Speaker 2: Have a very Australian accent, and I forget I forget when I host these conversations. And I just last night I went to a comedy gig with a chick who was in Australia at the moment, and she did a version of an Australian accent and it was she nailed it so much. And it's not until and I was like, oh, I said, that's so vogue, and I sound like like I forget, we forget. So thanks for that to my attention. Yeah, thank you so much. Thanks everyone for tuning into this. Go and check out Bauldercrest. She said it's now and never.
Speaker 1: I got fighting in my blood