Speaker 1: Welcome the mentor Mark Boris, Joey, Mark, Marty. I'm not even going to say your second and second names Peperoni, may Fly, that's it. But your fucking brothers.
Speaker 2: We are real life brothers, real life brothers. Like who's the oldest, I'm two years old the oldest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you change it? So what do you you lead to me? Real names?
Speaker 2: Well, there are legal names now now, but we did have the same family last name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're Joey and.
Speaker 2: Joseph and Martin in real life, real life.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, it's not that.
Speaker 3: We just abbreviated. Yeah, we just we just changed the last the last names to Pepperoni and McFly.
Speaker 2: Pizza superheroes or villains, however we're going to be.
Speaker 1: And and of course you're you're the two owners, were the founders of Pizza Brothers. And I follow Winsca and my guys or my team following Instagram, and I know your mates of Jeff. Jeff rang me up when he had what did you do something with you guys? Jeff? I'm talking about did he have a function with you guys or something? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeff, I started cooking pizzas for Jeff back in twenty twelve. Really, yeah, yeah, back when I was on my apprenticeship sixteen years old, he didn't know me. I was just the apprentice in the pizzeriah which one Haberfield or something? Oh yeah, like Art Norton Street. Yeah, And whenever he'd come in with the family, we know Jeff's table was here. We prepared that my buffalo cheese, put it to the side, get the nice.
Speaker 3: To canter for the wine. How old were you? Only like seventeen sixteen my sixteen birth sixteen.
Speaker 1: He likes to be treated pretty special.
Speaker 2: Only he likes to find like the Italian experience prog. The Buffalo pizza Chrispy he had. We knew the way that him and Susie liked it.
Speaker 1: Susan and he'd probably bring his own wine in he did. Yeah, and it'd be expensive.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So were you working Were you working there?
Speaker 3: No? No, I was a bit younger at the time. I was still at school. Yeah. Joey dropped out of school in the year ten and he was only fifteen sixteen. Yea. And yeah he started like a pizza apprenticeship in like I was still at school. Yeah, I started the pizza the pizza game bit after Yeah.
Speaker 1: So but have you are you of Italian heritage.
Speaker 3: Maltese malt same as Jeff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Maldis are very mold Is very close to Italy and a big influence on Malta is the food. Yeah, it's like Italian food. Yeah, it's like largely like you get spaghetti, ble and age, you get pasta and pizza and Mediterranean. Yeah, but it's a very it's not like Greek or French. It's more more Italian.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so is that actually an influence on your life? Like not much?
Speaker 3: Not really Like Maese, not really. I mean, like Nana was full Maltese, but she lived up in the Gold Coast when we grew up, so we didn't see her that much. Like I saw her like maybe once every couple of years or something, so we didn't actually grow up with the full Maltese heritage. And you want to talk.
Speaker 1: About really not much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was I think it was rough.
Speaker 1: How do you guys feel about your heritage? Is it a thing or not? Really?
Speaker 3: I mean, like we've I've always I've always liked the fact that there's you know, multie blood. Yeah, a bit of like yeah, a bit of a bit of yeah, a bit a bit of yeah, a bit of culture then and it was nice like hearing like some some some war stories of from Nana. Yeah, but yeah, I wouldn't say it's significantly impacted our lives, like the Maltese heritage. But of food, food, not really like we did like she sometimes did, like make make some macaronials yeah, yeah, with the with like the corn beef. Yeah, like the old school out of the tin. Yeah yeah, like real old school Maltese stuff. But yeah, nah, have.
Speaker 1: You guys been on your best behavior? We've been on your good behavior because when I see your ship on your no on Instagram, it's like it's mental.
Speaker 3: Yeah, full on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah it's good. I love it about plenty of energy, Like it's do you feel like you're being on your good behavior? I feel like you.
Speaker 2: Are right here right now, maybe maybe for the first five started.
Speaker 3: I haven't told you the.
Speaker 1: Story, he yelled off anytime me, like it doesn't matter to me, Like, so tell me tell me the story, Joey, Like, why why did you leave school year ten?
Speaker 2: I was a bit of a naughty, naughty teenager. I think we both were a little bit in high school.
Speaker 1: What does that mean though? Like naughty, naughty, like you know, we're robin cars.
Speaker 2: Or yeah yeah, not attending school, robbing cars, smoking weed, causing trouble.
Speaker 3: Just not not that bad.
Speaker 1: It's pretty pretty normal kill anyone, just normal teenage, not like the Spanion like.
Speaker 3: We have to Tim Pizza yesterday.
Speaker 1: He's been on. He's cool, he's not on mentors on straight up. But he's a good guy. Like it's just amazing. When he came here, he stood at the front, he got mobbed, like sort of morning mid morning, young guys walking.
Speaker 3: Past fuck everywhere it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do photograph like you know, it's because we used to take a photograph after the podcast out there on the street just under the sign the Mental And I didn't realize the guy was so popular, like like SuperStar's superstar. Yeah, you guys are sort of getting.
Speaker 3: Up there, like he put this like the culture really on the map big time.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: He also he also just shifted heaps of things in the country. Trendsetter.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. Are you guys thinking or trying to do something like like make a change or try to establish something apart from your business. I'll getting we'll talk about this is apart from.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, maybe if we can, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Culturally for your age group, let's say.
Speaker 3: So we'd like to lead by example.
Speaker 1: Think yeah, so what would that be then, Like, what are the sort what's your sweet spot of things that you know maybe or your wish list of things that you would like to see that you would like other people who follow you, who you or it's called your audience or your fans sort of thing, or people who may admire you. What are the sort of things you want to leave them with.
Speaker 3: I think, I think just like us just doing what, like what we believe in and not not feeling like, oh, we can't, we can't do something because it might affect our business, it might affect our sales and stuff like, just doing what we strongly believe in. And we've always gone by that from from day one and so far. You know, nothing's backlashed at us, like in a negative way, and you know, it feels good to just do stuff that make content, create content that you do believe in and like, you know, whether whether it is a bit silly or it is a bit full on for some people, a bit controversial social media anyway, good for social media sometimes, like even things that are controversial in make people question their own beliefs.
Speaker 1: Or give me some examples, like because that sounds nearly sounds I don't I know, I'm sure you don't have politicians, but nearly sounds a bit late trying to influence policy or at least put it out there for discussion.
Speaker 2: Our parents are political activists, and we grew around the front of Villawood detentions that are throwing rocks at police and yeah, yeah, yeah, not not our parents, but yeah, yeah, we used to have got all the protests and stuff like that. So we were obviously our parents instilled watch the word empathy I think in us for other people and accepting other people that are different to what you are, and I think that probably rubbed off on us.
Speaker 3: Maybe also just growing up in Newtown like early two thousands, Like Newtown was a bit of punk scene, different back then, and you know that would have had a bit of effect on the way we grew up as well.
Speaker 1: I reckon, yeah, is it a bit of a punk scene, is it?
Speaker 3: And it was like metal punk, Girastafarrians, whatever, parties, a lot of drugs, a lot of you know, just like yeah, you know, basically anywhere though early two thousands was a bit like that. It was a Bourban culture or whatever.
Speaker 1: And do you feel as though that influenced you?
Speaker 3: I think so definitely. Yeah, Well that's what sent Joey off the rails a bit, which which got him actually into a pizzeria like had he mean.
Speaker 2: Well, there was a youth worker at the time that's discontinued now because I think he'd lost his government funding or whatever. But he would go around to all the schools and any troubled kids or kids that weren't attending. There was a list of kids at every school that he'd like you could the principle would say, you got to go and talk to these kids or whatnot. And so he tried to help kids find jobs and employment when they dropped out a year nine or ten. And he ended up putting me in a pizzeria in like Not on Norton Street. That's where I first met Jeff.
Speaker 1: So have you ever reached out to this dude?
Speaker 2: But I lost his contact. I don't know either. I can't even remember what his name was.
Speaker 3: He just had long hair. We used to smoke joints and siggis with him at the school. Was he was he like a youth worker.
Speaker 2: It was a youth worker, like a proper social yeah. Yeah, and he obviously had he had a bit of a trouble background as a kid himself, so he could relate and he'd light us a cigarette or whatever and be like, he just wanted us to us to open up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, relate to you, get you, get to you on your level.
Speaker 3: Exactly, which he was good at.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When you say that is year ten, so you're like fifteen or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fifteen and a half fifteen.
Speaker 1: When you left school and you got placed in this job working at the piece of joining Leichhart, what did you think to yourself?
Speaker 2: I thought I'd do a week to get an ounce of weed, and then that was it.
Speaker 3: That was my plan.
Speaker 1: Go by one week, go buy something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was three hundred dollars for the week for like forty hours of work.
Speaker 3: So that was the plan. Do one week, and then.
Speaker 1: We're living at home, living at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then my parents had said to me, if you lose this job, you're out on the street. But they were bluffing. I think they weren't actually going to do that, but I took that pretty seriously.
Speaker 3: And then I got.
Speaker 2: Fired that first week, You're fired, got fired. So I had to go back and talk to the owners. And my Italian mayestro was saying, I'm not going to teach this kid. Give me someone that can work the pizza bloke the pizza my Massimo master maestra.
Speaker 1: That he's the master, master teacher, whatever you call it, the master of the of the of the craft at the particular Italian restaurant. Correct, he said, you're not going to employ anymore.
Speaker 2: He just said to the owners, I'm not going to deal with this kid.
Speaker 1: What were you doing?
Speaker 3: I dropped.
Speaker 2: I dropped his calzoni out of the oven. I really wanted to pick it up and put it on the plate, and he said, if you drop it. He loved his calzonies, he quipped the edges, He made it perfectly, and I said, I promise I won't drop it. Was my second day and I picked it up and got the wobbles and dropped it. Then he just slapped me over the back of the head and sent me out, gone home crying.
Speaker 1: So you weren't really doing it bad, no, just incompetent.
Speaker 2: The second day, he knew the amount of training it takes to put into someone, and he's just like, we're busy enough, give me someone that is already somewhat trained.
Speaker 1: So you lost the job. So I might just go back over to you. What did you do you think you were still at school? Were you two years difference three? What do you think about your brother now working at a peace joint at school?
Speaker 3: I mean that period of time, like when I was still a teenager at school and like twelve or something like that, I was like thirteen something, we actually were. That was a period of time where we weren't that close and we didn't even really talk that much.
Speaker 1: Because you have different sets of mates and that age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, I knew that like Joe went off the rails a bit with with drugs and stuff, and it kind of separated us for a bit for like three or four years. Until early twenties, we kind of like bonded back together. But at that time, like when he was when when he went was working at a like a pizza ea, I just I thought I thought it was actually a little bit funny, Like I thought like.
Speaker 2: Everyone did because the pizza boy was that everyone just laughing at me for years.
Speaker 3: But then the only people that made pizzas were like four on Italians or Ozzie Italians, like there wasn't really Now there's nationalities everywhere making pizza. It's cool now. Then it was like everyone makes pizzas.
Speaker 1: You kind of like I can make a pizza.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you kind of like had like it was mainly only Italians Italian heritage making pizza, so it was quite fun. I found it quite like a little bit funny. I actually used to like laugh a him a little bit because he was pizza maker all the time. I didn't really bag him, but I still it was funny. Like he'd be riding his bicycle. He was always riding a bike like bicycle, riding his bicycle home with like loads of bread on the back, like it was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It was a crack up.
Speaker 3: My friends are like your brothers cooked as literally.
Speaker 2: I distanced myself as well because I was self aware that I wasn't being the best influence and some of my mates they had little brothers, and I just at that time tried to distance myself a little bit because I didn't I didn't want him to copy when I was doing.
Speaker 1: But you knew what you're doing wasn't a great idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I knew.
Speaker 1: So you're sort of being protective.
Speaker 3: Yeah I wanted to. Yeah, but maybe he didn't.
Speaker 1: Did you realize that.
Speaker 3: I think maybe at the time.
Speaker 2: I wasn't that friendly, but I just actually felt a bit guilty, like I don't want to see him doing the wrong things. But he was off with his own mates, probably doing worse things than I was doing, smoking a bit of pot anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you when I got a little bit older, Yeah, a little bit. Yeah, but it was kind of kind of the opposite of drugs, Like I never I never was never interested in drugs because I think I saw Joey get into it.
Speaker 2: I was like a lot of younger brothers. They follow but a few younger brothers go, I don't want to I don't want to do what. Yeah, he was one of those few that he was like, I don't interested in a weed or drinking really, So.
Speaker 3: I'm grateful that actually he paved the way. Yeah, you caught the drugs. I didn't.
Speaker 1: So did ju leae school the same agent.
Speaker 3: No, I finished school year twelve. I went to year twelve in Glabe.
Speaker 1: So tell me, how did you get into doing what you're doing now?
Speaker 3: Well, I made you a chef jacket with your name on it. What are you doing?
Speaker 1: He always I was like, this is for you, or you made him?
Speaker 2: I made him in Thailand because we got to Thailand a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we go regularly. We speak time really, yeah, Cup, how are you serious fluent? Yeah? Cup? Yeah, we feel entire and yeah.
Speaker 2: So in Bangkok I had at the markets a special chef jacket stitched up for him that said Marty on it, and I brought it back home. That was a couple of years before he started making Wanted was all playing. I knew that he needed to come into the game for this for there to be longevity, because I could see what was happening in the pizza world, and I thought, what was happening nothing like in terms of it just advanded a dead end job. Really, that's what I thought. I thought up until thirty. If you're traveling, you're a backpacker. You make pizzas great, but once you hit thirty, you keep for twenty bucks an hour just flipping out Pepperoni's.
Speaker 3: Pretty physic physical, demanding job. It's like a trade. It is a trade. Yeah, in Italy. It's very working class job, being a pizziolo. So if your family has some money, you're not going to You don't want your kids to be a pizza working on a furnace, shopping fix days away.
Speaker 1: So you were using the pizza work you're doing to fund you to go on holidays to Thailand. Yes, basically, yeah, regularly. It's worth eight week slab.
Speaker 2: Exactly, yeah, exactly, every day, seven days a week weeks and then that's it quit go to Thailand.
Speaker 1: Did you cook pizzas in Thailand?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, just chilling with the family over there, having a good time, learning how.
Speaker 1: Your family, my partner's family, your partner's family, right, yeah, so you're doing you're hanging out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I couldn't speak to mom and dad, so that was the initial I'm going to learn how to speak time. Oh wow, Yeah, because I couldn't speak English. So we're sitting in a cafe just doing hand gestures.
Speaker 3: Joey was like basically like nearly fluent by the time he's twenty five. He was like, I couldn't believe it. I was like, he full speaks like fluent.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, do you do you I speak?
Speaker 3: I'm really getting I speak pretty good now, like definitely not fluent, but enough to get buying conversations and everything.
Speaker 1: Did you spend time there too, in Thailand?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I've been there like eight times.
Speaker 1: But how did you learn to be speaking? Brother?
Speaker 3: Well? Originally, I so I moved in with my brother at the age of like twenty, and he was living with his partner, and I used to hear them talk and sometimes fight. A word here and there I'd pick up I'd pick up a word here and there until Yeah, I just really wanted to learn because I just like, if Joey can, Joey can be become fluent like I had too.
Speaker 1: Maltese descent, Aussie boys, cooking pizzas big and tie, from Newtown, from Newtown where the that's everything. So I can take me to the point where you decided to set up your own business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So basically what happened was I invited Marty to come in and start learning how to make pizzas, training him how to make pizzas.
Speaker 3: He was it at your joinal I was the head pizza chef of the restaurant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Mardy was at the gym and he was really good at like at the gym, really enjoyed the personal training.
Speaker 3: And whatnot.
Speaker 2: But I had convinced him to come and start.
Speaker 1: Making pizzas when he got him in the jacket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was a couple of years after he put that. He had the jacket on. I had mine on too. We're in the pizzaia and he's learning how to make pizzas. And then I learned people can be can learn really fast in the pizzeria if you throw him in the deep end and just leave them. So once he got once he could start stretching bases. I booked a ticket to Japan, didn't even tell the.
Speaker 3: Boss, and I just left. So all he had was mary. He had to float the boat or had that. Yeah he knew. Yeah, I only had like three months of experience and he left me in like one of the busiest pizzas in Sydney, just three hundre pizzas a day.
Speaker 2: It was a spinning oven, a Marana Forny spinning oven, so you didn't have to physically turn the pizzas, but you still had to stretch them top of them.
Speaker 3: Put him in. Yeah, I got slammed in there like but it was but that that's what just made me become like It's like I fast forward instead of learning slowly for two years at a place, it's like in three months, I picked up like two years of experience in like three months.
Speaker 1: Single swim.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was in there seven days a week, like seventy to eighty hours a week, and then within three months I was just pumping all the pizzas out, just learn.
Speaker 1: When he come back to you, did him on the chin say thanks very much? Bang well.
Speaker 3: At the time, I was probably a little bit like pissed because there was there was some some rocky services there and like some bit of a nightmare. But later on I realized like that that's actually how I learned. I realized that.
Speaker 2: He became he became a machine super fast. And that was the idea because I thought, we don't have to.
Speaker 3: Show you.
Speaker 2: Thought this through, yeah, yeah, yeah. I just thought because this was a massive restaurant, three hundred seat on Pitt Street in the city, and I thought, you're gonna have to learn how to do it otherwise.
Speaker 1: Are you confident? Did he do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I was.
Speaker 1: You thought, Okay, I'm not just I'm not pushing him off the cliff. I know he's going to be okay.
Speaker 2: I knew he did have a few stressful days in there that some burnt pizzas or whatever, but that's part part of it. And it wasn't our restaurant, So I thought you burned the pizzas.
Speaker 1: Someone else frock. So I think I'm getting aked together the break because I want to gether the break and come straight back because I want to say, I want to ask you what was the thing inspired you to set up your own joint and what was the process like setting up setting up, not setting your own joint, set up your own business. You now got your own place, but like those days when because then you were roving making pizzas and vans and shit like that. So but I want to know, do you remember the period when you're saying I thought, now we can do this for ourselves.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, that would have been up in Brisbane, Like we went up to Brisbane to buy a house because we had some savings. We thought that was a smart thing to do in like twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we.
Speaker 2: Marty ended up getting a job in a pizza truck and he sold one hundred and fifty pizzas and the boss wasn't there, and then he counted the money at the end of the night and he calls me up and he goes like, just made like three grand out of his pizza truck. And we just instantly were.
Speaker 1: Like, I can do that.
Speaker 3: We were just like, why don't we build a pizza truck. But we build the biggest one and biggest run in the country, double ovens, two wood fire ovens, one on each side, marble bench, full mobile, pizza era. Maybe we could do three four five grand a day. Who knows.
Speaker 2: So we just we thought it was going to be a walk in the park.
Speaker 3: Though. Yeah, I was twenty two, he was like twenty five. Like we were young, were very full of energy, very bit of mature.
Speaker 1: That's a big advantage. By the way, I'm just going to goether break' going to come straight back. I'm back from the break and I'm here with a mister Pepperoni missed McFly And that's Marty and Marty and Joey. They're actual brothers. They and pizza brothers, which is obviously pizza business. We've gone through the little story about how we got there. What we're now exploring is when Marty experience working in a pizza truck of all things and made quite a bit of money for somebody else. And God, I guess you could say, good inspired brother, Why the fuck can't we do this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we just knew that we both worked together so well, we never fight, like we're both happy to work eighty hours a week. We won't complain even if we're right next to each other, because we've done that already for other people, and we're just like, oh, we've got to do this for ourselves, Like why are we doing this for other people? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So how do you go and build? So but you went up to Busines buy.
Speaker 2: A house originally, Yeah, that was the plan.
Speaker 3: That was the plan.
Speaker 1: What do you do with the money when brought.
Speaker 2: The truck, Well, we that was all our savings, that was our life savings. So we had like two hundred and seventy grand combined a bit. That was a lot of hours. We were doing eighty hours a week in the pizzeria, so one hundred and sixty hours per seven days.
Speaker 3: We used to live off a fifty a week shared housing, just put our money together, like we're a couple, so one hundred and sixty.
Speaker 2: We weren't getting paid much per hour, only twenty twenty five bucks an hour, but one hundred and sixty hours a week. We were just just stacking it, sacking it and just be thought, yeah, let's go buy a house because we heard someone said Brisbane's going to boom.
Speaker 3: We didn't know, probably right, Yeah it was. It was actually back before everything boomed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then that job with the pizza truck, and then all the plans of buying a house, we just stopped and we thought, we're going to build the biggest pizza truck in the country, change out with the money spent, all the money, change our names.
Speaker 1: Legally you did it then at that.
Speaker 2: Point because we were going to be superheroes or pizza superheroes or pizza villain.
Speaker 3: That was our marketing idea at the time. We didn't know how people were going.
Speaker 1: To perceive it as a Murray Brothers.
Speaker 2: We just wanted to do something out of the box. Everyone, all the other Italians in the industry are being very serious, very passionate about their craft, no joking, and we thought we could we can be cheeky and put a bit of a different spin on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something different, but market differently exactly. Yeah, So, like, how extreme did you go.
Speaker 3: Pretty extreme, I mean, changing our names and moving to a city we didn't know anyone, and then basically we had no family up there. I mean, we did have some family in Gold Coast, but Grandma was gone by then. But we had all like aunties and uncles and stuff up in Gold Coast. Not super close with them, but they helped anyway. They were willing to help, and they we actually had to cancel our lease in Brisbane because we didn't have enough money to pay the lease anymore.
Speaker 1: So we were still living.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So because we started to embark on this journey of building the pizza truck that wasn't being built. It was just a chassy in South Brisbane. And this is kind of like where the war to Wall I guess this is where the whole story of like, yeah, this is the starting point, I guess because we were in South Brisbane in the industrial area and we've walked into our warehouse very excited, very cheeky, gold chains on, just come from Sydney. We thought we were Assie. We were told we wos up there, but.
Speaker 3: Different. Yeah, they all thought I was Lebanese up there. They're like, You're Lebanese for sure, not Lebanes.
Speaker 1: Make pizzas yea.
Speaker 3: So we basically like we're I worked for that the place that had the pizza truck, and basically we we both we both resigned from any work we were doing up in Brisbane, no job, and we've found a builder to build our pizza truck and with yeah, and brought that he no truck, the chasi, the truck whatever, dropped it off of the building warehouse. Basically we walked into this warehouse like very young, very immature, thought that we knew everything, which we didn't, and he goes, what's your budget or how much do you want to spend and we said, we've got two seventy to the builder and he's just gone obviously within fourteen Yeah for two seventy, Yeah, that's exactly what he said. Yeah, so within a week, within a week or two, the majority of all our money we.
Speaker 2: Transerred him every him without without a contract, of course, a contract, because he was loved. He was a very nice guy, very charismatic, very you just felt at home with him. It was very trust very trustworthy.
Speaker 1: You're serious.
Speaker 3: He gave him from Newtown.
Speaker 2: We didn't we never didn't have been around much builders before, so We didn't know about the cliche of the dodgy builder, so what do you get or nothing. Initially he didn't build it. He wouldn't build it, didn't build anything.
Speaker 3: Didn't touch it for the six months, and that's when we kind of realized we're in a bit of a situation. And one day we just decided to google his name.
Speaker 2: We were living so we got out of our lease and we were living it out Arnie's house, just on the couch, sitting on the couch having a red wine. You know, I think the builder is delayed, but it's all good. Up, We're at Arnie's place and his name into Google and then boom, what happened? Crime Net, Supreme Court, Queen's then one of the biggest stories queen frauds to serious crime syndicate this that Yeah, so that was that was like big slap in the face, big wake up call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were shadowed. We were just like, Wow, what do we do now?
Speaker 1: Harry my money back?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what happened? Spoke to a lawyer. Of course, he goes, what about the contract and whatnot? There isn't one of those.
Speaker 2: And then that he's basically like he's had twenty businesses before they've all liquidated. If you fight him in court, he's probably just going to liquidate before you can get anything back, so that it's gone to go back to Sydney. You lost your savings since you were sixteen, that's it.
Speaker 3: We were basically we were basically like fuck that, no way we're going back to Sydney empty hand.
Speaker 2: So that wasn't an option for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what did you do?
Speaker 3: Well, just had to take matters into our own hands.
Speaker 1: Did you get some money back?
Speaker 3: We've got everything, We've got everything, but we've got everything. We just had to play hardball and and just we.
Speaker 2: Just let him know like we were the ones to play with.
Speaker 1: So you're confront him, did you go and go oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We felt like it was like, I mean, maybe looking back on things, it.
Speaker 2: Was we wouldn't be sitting here if we if we'd left, you know.
Speaker 3: We just felt we just felt like it was like a life and death situation. We thought like we had to get like I knew it was my brother's like over ten years of savings working in pizzeries. It was also all the savings that I had, and we're just like if we if somehow we don't get out of this like with with all our with our belongings, or like without with our money, or at least with the truck.
Speaker 2: Even if he didn't build the truck, if you just returned what we'd given to him, we just wanted to get our property.
Speaker 3: Back if we thought it would be the end of us. So that's why we really.
Speaker 1: Just like we're basically stole from me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we be rocking up and his as soon as our cars pulling up in the car park, we see the back window of the warehouse going down, so he's just jumped out a window. And then we start hearing all these crazy stories about like a jet ski getaways on Brisbane River, that all these people had been looking for him, he was he could, they couldn't catch him.
Speaker 3: So he hit a point until we didn't really contact anyone. No family, we kept, our friends knew about it. And then I called up somebody that I knew back in Sydney that I used to work for, and just that was the second bombshell here. Yeah, he's a bit older than me, or quite significantly older about me, and like I kind of looked up it up to him as like kind of like a second dad. And he gave me like one of my first jobs. And I called him up and I explained him the situation we're in. He asked me, what's the guy's name. When I told him the guy's name, he just said, you've fucked up. You've just walked in and given money to probably the last person in Queensland that you'd want to. And we couldn't believe that he knew his name. Couldn't believe he knew.
Speaker 2: And when he goes, everyone knows him. People were a country know he's done over everyone. He's gotten away.
Speaker 3: He's got mills, and heople's facing ten years for something, but somehow he got off in a technicality or something. But he's known.
Speaker 2: And then we start going around to the markets and asking him. She didn't we didn't do due diligence, started asking these other people who were vending, and that was They were like, oh, you'd be careful if you build with him, if he builds anything.
Speaker 3: He's already robbed some and so he's robbed that person.
Speaker 2: All these stories started about all these other families and all these other people that he's that he's robbed. And so we're sitting at Arnie's place and now, and he goes, look, you guys can't stay here for much longer, and we don't have him money.
Speaker 3: We broke And then.
Speaker 1: But can you just give me a hint how you confront him? How do you get it?
Speaker 2: We basically just a bit of an altimatum.
Speaker 3: We basically just just looked at him and just said to him, it's you r us like kind of in that kind of way to be honest. And then and he was just probably at the time, maybe he just thought it wasn't even worth it. Maybe he had so many things going on at the time making heaps some money.
Speaker 2: It's just like we started sucking up his new customers, like he was trying to do the story with someone else, and we'd show up unannounced, unattended, uninvited, and we'd walk in and throw him off with his new customer by start by saying things or whatnot, verbling. Yeah, I was doing the verbaling stuff that I.
Speaker 3: Think basically we became trouble to him, and he was just like, you know what, build their truck, give it to them, get him out of here. Don't want to happen.
Speaker 1: He did, he build it, He did build it.
Speaker 3: He did it was actually a builder, Oh yeah, and he did a really good job. Threw an extra, extra TVs, extra everything.
Speaker 1: Probably saw them anyway.
Speaker 3: I think you just wanted us to be happy, and we were told the two things, this guy is going to be afraid of his cops and physical physical confrontation, like a confrontation.
Speaker 1: Bash yeah sort of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I didn't get it exactly.
Speaker 1: So so you ended up with the truck, yeah, probably caution sounds still like a lot of money.
Speaker 3: It ended up being around like two hundred grand.
Speaker 1: The whole truck, including the buying everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Chazzy and the whole building. The film happened, Italian ovens and everything.
Speaker 1: So he pissed him off. You got all this stuff.
Speaker 3: So we got it. And then we suddenly had this truck that we couldn't park anywhere. It was huge, built, it too big, eight meters long. We didn't plan where we were going to sell pizzas. We couldn't fit into any house for private catering. Caravan it was eight times Yeah, it's like a caravan. So then we decided to go and live at a caravan park because we didn't have a choice.
Speaker 2: We didn't know where it didn't have anywhere else to park.
Speaker 3: We also didn't have any money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were broke, just with this big, sparkling, beautiful new pizza truck jeans Land.
Speaker 3: So we slept in it on numerous occasions, like in the body of it, like we opened up the body. He was on the upper level when I was on the lower levelp sleeping bags. We converted a storage box into a house for eighty dollars a week, so we put a bed in there. It didn't have obviously a shower or anything. It was just a National storage box and it had a mattress at the front, so if you opened it up, it just looked like storage and then you went inside there was a little house in there. So we'd parked the truck up against the front of the garage so we'd be hidden, and then we'd just flip a mattress in there and just sleep in there. In between there and a caravan parked to cost us what seventy bucks a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we had the eighty dollar storage box and the seventy dollars caravan. It was the worst caravan in the park up in sunny coast water hot no bathroom and so we're going in between the storage box the caravan and showering at fitness first or showering at the truck stop vps, sleeping next to the truckers. Some truckers were coming down to Sydney and coming back and we're still there and they're like, boys, you're still here, and we're like, we live here. We lit at the service station, like a meat pie and a.
Speaker 3: Chocolate milk was dinner. And yeah, we were like homeless.
Speaker 1: When you start selling pizzas out of the pizza truck. We have a caravan park.
Speaker 2: We tried, why didn't we We tried to, but no one had any money in the caravan.
Speaker 3: Everyone in the caravan park. It was at least it was for whatever reason, it was a pretty like yeah there a Rundown Sunshine Coast.
Speaker 1: It wasn't one of those ones we're all the wealthy people now.
Speaker 3: It was one of the ones where it was one of the ones where we had to stay stay at like sleep with one eye open.
Speaker 1: So when did you start to actually make a dollar, start to sell your weares?
Speaker 3: I mean like we started to do festivals and small events in Queensland here and there. Like sometimes we would go like a week or two without work, and then sometimes we'd get like three days of work on a weekend. And then it was like a hit and miss.
Speaker 2: Like make a bit of money in one day like sun Corp. You two make ten grand or something and then run at a loss for ages.
Speaker 3: So it ended up evening out to basically we won't really making it.
Speaker 2: Can even go to the Sunday Farmer's market trying to sell pineapple pizzas we rained, couldn't sell anything.
Speaker 3: It ended up basically like we were there for nine months and we didn't really make any money, and then COVID happened and all the festivals and everything stopped, and we had this truck. We still had no money and then yeah, that's when we had to come back to Sydney. Had to sell my gold necklace for flour and cheese.
Speaker 1: Or do you do with the truck that you sold it?
Speaker 3: We've still got it got a sentimental value. We can't let Everyone told us like, oh you broke, like get rid of the truck tree even if you just get hard off for a hundred or get rid of it. But we never wanted to sell it, like we can't.
Speaker 1: We're going to say if you still got all buy it cool.
Speaker 3: It's got vines growing all over, it's a bit of band. We've still got it. It's still it's still in a brand new condition though like me, it's basically unne and he built it good, best built truck in it. There's no pizza truck in the country that looks like it. But that's why we held onto it, because we truly believed that like Pizza Bros. Wasn't over and for sure one day we might be able to do something. And even if we just sold it for one hundred grand, like what's that fifty grand each? What are we going to do with that? So we just knew, we just we just we just held onto it.
Speaker 1: So how do you how did you hold onto your dream?
Speaker 3: Then? Well, we came back to Sydney once COVID happened, all the festivals and everything was over. We came back to Sydney and we were in the lockdown back and living back in because we're originally we're living in Chinatown before we went to Brisbane. We went back to Chinatown. We're back in the same spot years later, yeah, two three years later, at zero no money in the bank, truck ye had a truck that we actually left up in Brisbane. Someone let us just park it up in Brisbane. We couldn't we couldn't afford to pay for storage or whatever of storage. We just kind of like left it in the yard in Brisbane for like three three four years. And we came back and we got we got a we got a lease in the city and we were just sitting and sitting on our couch like when we straightway we got back and thinking what are we going to do, Like we're at zero, and that's when we just both look at we always do, go back to eighty hours, go back sixty hours. It was. It was hard though, going back to work for other people when we thought that we had this idea and we thought that we had this plan that was going to just blow us up, and everyone told us we're crazy like Pepperoni, McFly, pizza truck villain, superheroes, it'll be mad. In that case, no one believed us could work in a way we were. But if you if you're not that crazy enough about passion and dream, it's never going to That's a.
Speaker 1: Good point, by the way, you're so passionate about the whole thing, so passionate and so enthusiastic about your dream. That's what kept your alife because because you were mad enough to believe in this stuff exactly. Yeah, because if it was a little more, a little less crazy, maybe a little bit more mainstream, you might not have stayed stuck with it. I'm out of it.
Speaker 3: Mainstream was definitely, Yeah, the opposite of what we were doing. We're always like being out Like everything we've always done is always a bit out of the box and a.
Speaker 1: B Yeah, you're both out there, aren't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Or do you think you are? I mean you're not. You don't think I think, I think. I think for them now, you're probably not.
Speaker 3: I think for for for Ousi's or people like in this in this country, our age group, they would they would definitely think we're out there like the majority. But I mean inner city Sydney is a bit different like people. People do understand it. People are a bit different stuff. But I think on a on a broad picture like the whole country. Yeah, like they looked at us, these guys are cooking the book, their bonkers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a brand. Yeah, So how do you go and start working with somebody?
Speaker 2: Then what weg off on your own again, we're we're very hard on ourselves, beating ourselves up about the whole thing.
Speaker 3: But for us to have to start our business.
Speaker 2: Coming off that experience with the builder, it definitely we didn't start very like positive.
Speaker 3: We weren't like the way I know how to say it, we were It.
Speaker 2: Was the wrong way to kick off a business having to go through that ordeal first, especially as young people.
Speaker 3: But what we later learned is that whole experience of dealing with that builder and that whole period of time that actually, yeah, that actually if that now I look back, if that didn't happen, we wouldn't have succeeded this second time at Pizza Bros. And he taught us.
Speaker 2: He taught us a very important lesson that builder.
Speaker 1: What did he teach you?
Speaker 3: Heaps of stuff taught us heaps of stuff.
Speaker 1: Really, do your homework, do you due diligence, do your background checks? Yeah, you know who you're dealing with, Like maybe get a contract, have things in writing, know the price, like do comparative prices, like am I paying too much? Or am I getting a steal?
Speaker 3: Also just reading people as well, Like that's what he That's what he taught us as well, like just being able to read.
Speaker 1: People, maybe not trust people straight up exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you don't want to be one of those people doesn't trust everything, because that's equally bad that can work against you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but maybe you just don't automatically trust someone until maybe they perform a little bit exactly, see something that they're doing as positive. Yeah, just because it seemed nice exactly, you know, Like, so I want to get to important stuff now that you know what you're doing now to take me through it, like, you know, how are you guys operating? Like how's your customer base? You know, how's revenue?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: What are you doing for a social talk about you? I want you talk about social media too. So where are you at right now? I know it was hard rekicking off.
Speaker 3: But just to backtrack a little bit, like we're back in Sydney twenty twenty, COVID at zero and we started working eighty ninety hours a week to like different pizzerias though, like we both get a full time salary and then on our days off, both days off, like if we were doing five days a week for the salary, both days off go get other cash shifts somewhere or whatever and just do extra shifts and then we put all our money together again like we originally did before we went to Queensland.
Speaker 1: So there's something worth repeating.
Speaker 3: It worked. Yeah, we put out exactly because we knew. We knew that we could repeat what we did last time. We're not gonna Then the oven blew up and we were put on unpaid leave. We stood down, put on unpaid leave.
Speaker 1: Because the place we were employed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the places where we're placing Surrey Hill was the wood fire up and combusted and Marty had to put it out one phone to the fieries and extinguisher and then they were like, oh, look you know the pizzeri's burnt down. You you're an unpaid leave. You stood down. So we were back in Sydney again, now with maybe a little bit of savings from the hours we've been doing, but without a job.
Speaker 1: But you're both skilled, so they'd be then it was.
Speaker 2: It was the COVID lockdown at the time, and some job. A lot of restaurants weren't over pizza takeaway pizzerias were closed.
Speaker 3: Some we kind of always though I had a bit of a chip on our shoulder where it was like we still weren't doesn It didn't matter how much a salary we could get or how much we're getting paid per hour. We never satisfied. Wasn't pizza. We were just like happy, We're just like we knew we could be doing this like times ten times twenty, Like we knew that we could be doing this for ourselves. We knew it was possible.
Speaker 2: The owner of the place' even know our names.
Speaker 3: We were just the pizza guys. We were irrelevant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what happened?
Speaker 3: So we actually were offered opportunity at a brewery in Marrickville that they were interested in getting into the pizza game.
Speaker 2: They'd already kind of conquered the beer game and they wanted to get into pizzas. And so we had sent somehow through Instagram or something. We'd been chatting about pizzas, and we were offered to set up a pop up Wednesday Thursday nights because their food vendor would only run Friday, Saturday Sunday. So they thought, why don't we just give you The manager at the time said, why don't we give you Wednesday Thursday? Set your ovens up. We were sponsored by Gosney, which is a portable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've been on the show, have they. Yeah, Yeah, I use a Gosney at home.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: That was a Gosney dome. We were gifted two Gosney domes by Gosney. They said, do you Instagram reels promote Gosney. There's the ovens.
Speaker 3: They were worth like a couple grand each or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which was a really good of them to sponsor us. And yeah, we started cooking all these pizzas, and then they started getting popular. The Wednesday Thursdays they were pouring more beer at the brewery Wednesday Thursday, then the Friday, Saturday, Sunday. So we're off at full time. A couple videos, Jeff, and it comes down. You start trying to blow the whole thing up.
Speaker 3: A couple videos on Instagram and someone else's TikTok, like when a bit viral hit like half a million views or whatever.
Speaker 2: You had the marriage boom aller On, which was a meat lover.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's his.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So when from like when from like a like a like just a normal trading brewery to line out the door out onto the street.
Speaker 2: I said, we've never had a line out the brewery like that like coming.
Speaker 3: Up the people traveling across Sydney pop up because it was niche, it was unique, like it wasn't there was no pizza pop up in Sydney.
Speaker 1: Would you call it?
Speaker 3: It was Pizza Bros. Cosney pop up, new menu every week and that. I still remember that first day of trading since Queensland, like it was a big deal for us, massive deal, Like I remember you had vegetable pants on. I had mushroom pants on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what we were We in chef pants vegetables and mushrooms and stuff and were a little bit drunk drinking beers as we were working there. It was a big deal for us to Pizza Bros.
Speaker 3: In Sydney.
Speaker 2: The first day trading is I think we've done Bathist before in the truck. We've done a few events.
Speaker 3: Down here and just trading for one day and just seeing that we just did revenue the first time in like four or five years since Queensland. Everything we went through, we were just like, that's that's what just sparked us again. And we're just like all one hundred and ten percent we've got to go with this, like like life and death situation again. Let's let's go. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then to me, now, where what do you do now? You're working seven days?
Speaker 3: We still seven days. We have a day off every year and there every couple of months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what are you doing there? In terms of where where you were?
Speaker 3: So, yeah, we're at the brewery. And then we got contacted by Universal Hotels company here in Sydney, the Cospitis family and shout out to Universal Hotels.
Speaker 1: Your Greek Yeah, yeah, well it's Anthony, isn't it. Anthony Corspetus. His father's Jimmy Jim Jimmy is the Corspetus. Then the pub in the city, Yeah, yeah, yeah, Charentown, Yeah, because Jimmy's the they have a Greek restaurant. Actual, they have a great restaurant, Bort eighty twenty one ours. But his son, Anthony went to school my younger son.
Speaker 2: I think is there another brother Anthony?
Speaker 3: We know Stephen and Harris. Stephen Harris and Jim Jimmy is a dad Jim Yeah, I'm pretty sure I thought it was Anthony who's been out to my farm.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll get the name wrong. Maybe it's Stephen, maybe Stephen because they go to Greece a lot. They're going to a place at Earthen's. I've seen him there. I've seen him a kids, so maybe it's Stephen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jim.
Speaker 2: Jim came down to the brewery, pulled up in the bentley and tried the pizza and was like, fucking this is mad pizza. Yeah, And we saw our pop up was getting closed down. We could see that there wasn't much longevity here in Marrickville, that we were going to be basically shut down before we knew it, so we wanted to get out of there as soon.
Speaker 3: As we could. The owners of the brewery kind of gave us an ultimatum. Either you shut up shop and packed down Pizza Bros. Or stay here but switches over to our name with your recipe to their name. Yeah, yeah, but the same pizza, the same pizzas. Switches over, switch switches over to their name with our recipes, our pizzas forget it, whatnot. And then basically the day they sat us down, seven days prior, we got contacted by the hospitals where they if we want to asking us if we want to they relive the Imperial Hotel, Yeah, iconic hotel in Erskanville where we grew up, like we grew up in Newtown, Like we used to run around these streets as kids. Oh yeah, like like Joe was kicked out of the school two hundred meters up the road, and we're just like, it's a mad opportunity. It's a rooftop. Yeah, iconic hotel. The hotel stands for heaps of stuff that we believe in, and it's just like we're just like this is mad, Like we've we've we've got to we've we've got to take this opportunity and blow up the rooftop, make it, make it busy, because we were going into a pretty pretty quiet space like it had been closed previously by previous owners before and it was it was was pretty quiet. It wasn't wasn't doing well. And then we were just part of.
Speaker 2: The newly bort revamp and it was like, yeah, I've got this big challenge. You know, how do we make this rooftop busy so it's not the rooftop we're on the rooftop. Yeah, pizza ovens on the rooftop.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 3: And it took about three months. We first went in there, and it was it was pretty dead, like it was dead, like we were doing very low revenue, were in there seven days a week, we had no staff.
Speaker 1: We're using social social.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyone that had any bloggers, pages, anything we could to promote it up until three am, texting people every night, just horrinuded.
Speaker 3: We were doing like sixteen fifteen, sixteen nowadays seven days a week for at least the first three four months until suddenly it just blew up, like we still had no staff and there was like tickets every year. It just started within a seven day period. It went from dead to like we were selling like over a thousand pizzas a week, and well we're.
Speaker 2: In there and too, like we need to find someone to pick up as also we're entire town trying to find someone to.
Speaker 3: Wash the dishes, so we don't need we do all the plates at the end as well. So yeah, yeah, we do everything. It was no staff, just us, And now it's been solid for like eighteen months, like pretty solid, like haven't even had a bad week.
Speaker 1: And you're still saving it and you still living meagerly and save a lot of money. Yeah, So do you think you're both out and buy a joint house or apartment or do you think you'll do that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 1: I mean you're saving the money jointly, I mean to get yeah, not separately. Yeah, so you're still doing everything together. Yeah, it's a mad dream in it. Yeah, how do you feel about it?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the amount of the amount of hours and how much we've worked over the last couple of years or even three, four or five years, even back when we're working for other people, we haven't really had much time off to let things settle in and actually realize what we've done, like, because you know when every day can reflect really when you wake up and you're trying to get it every day and you're doing massive long days, like we're on the wood fire oven. We haven't. There hasn't been one pizza sold from Pizza Bros. That we haven't made with our own hair. Like the last one hundred thousand pizzas, either I've stretched it or cooked it stretched.
Speaker 1: No one makes out you've done a hundred thousand pieces.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, one hundred thousand, hundred weeks or it depends, but like maybe not in this local I don't know.
Speaker 1: Thousand thousand pieces a week day, it's.
Speaker 3: More than more than a thousand pieces a week now hundred or.
Speaker 1: Well that's only a hundred weeks. That's two years. Probably something like that was given you working every week.
Speaker 3: And I've never done the mass. We never costed one of the pizzas.
Speaker 2: We don'tzza.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they cost to flip them out.
Speaker 1: Do you mind telling me what?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What are your favorite pizzas?
Speaker 3: Anything with chili, our pizza, pretty our pizzas are pretty unconventional, like they're not they're not the traditional Italian Yeah, we've We've done like all kind of crazy topics.
Speaker 2: Give me some examples, like a chi chili bass.
Speaker 3: With prawns, and like truffle pizzas and hot like honey pieces.
Speaker 2: Like the new one's a wagyu steak pizza. Just different bit of Twitter. Some of the Italians don't agree. Very big Asian we're doing. Done a few podcasts themselves about us.
Speaker 3: Pizza.
Speaker 1: That's good though, that they're talking about that's good. Yeah, that's a good thing.
Speaker 3: Make an impact, big Asian influence on pizzas. And probably that goes back to a little bit like the fact that we spent so much time in Thailand and we like tay Cusins had a big impact on it.
Speaker 1: Is there a tired tasting that we've got one on we we've got.
Speaker 3: One like like klinmbed of like it is quite hot for like someone that can't eat, they wouldn't be able to eat it. But like I think our tolerance is so high, like we can eat chi palates.
Speaker 2: Changed from living in Bangkok. Really, Oh yeah, we're all out of whack now. It has to be so tasty otherwise it's not tasting.
Speaker 3: And I think that's definitely had an effect on the taste about pizzas because people are eating them, Like I've never had a pizza like this before. What does the taste like that?
Speaker 1: And what sort of crust you you guys have, It's called leopard crust.
Speaker 3: I'm going to show you that. It's on the back of the shirt. Yeah around, Yeah, the pizza tato it's called Leopard.
Speaker 2: Crafts and it's it's a pizza Pizza Tana but which is the original eighteen hundreds in Naples, the original pizza, but with a twist. So we put extra virgin olive oil in the dough, which is not If you do that, you're not a VPN certified.
Speaker 3: We've tweaked it.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I am aware that there is a certification for from some organization in it.
Speaker 3: That's fair, that's a VPM.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Back in the days in Sydney, like early two thousands, they were all the top joints in Sydney.
Speaker 1: There's only five six people got this sort of accreditation with this ward or this license whatever they call it.
Speaker 3: A couple of our mates got it, yeah, yeah, yeah, proud of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, there's a few Melbourne. I got it to Melbourne, so that Grazzi or whatever the com Okay, it doesn't really matter. It's another sort of Italian joint down there. But I sort of remember this. You've got to make it a certain way.
Speaker 2: Yes, to even stretch it a certain way. Even if you make the dough and it's certified, if you then stretch it in the wrong method, then you're out. You're disqualified.
Speaker 1: They stand, they're watching it. If they're trying to give you the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they would. If you go on for a trial and trying to get a job at one of these places, they wat change stretch you Italian guy in a vest or something that. You know what, It doesn't matter how well how good you are, how well you stretch it, they'll still be like, ah, I wasn't a right.
Speaker 2: If we're not Italian. So even if you're like Ozsi but Italian heritage, you might be all right. But if you're Italian Italian, you're definitely that's good. But if you're Aussie's with pizza tatooed on your arm and red.
Speaker 1: How do you reckon? How do you rate your pizzas? I mean, you've been around pizza game for a long time. How do you rate your pizzas relative too, in terms of like you know, I don't know, like a relative to say, some of the best time pizza makers even in the world. You probably tasted various pizza around the joint. How do you rate yourself?
Speaker 2: We love eating other people's pizzas because we get to eat our pizzas all the time. But yeah, I think we're pretty proud of what we've created.
Speaker 3: I think it also does come down like personal preference, like some people just like different styles, Like some people like crispy pizzas, some people like it soft. Like That's why the whole debate will never end. Because someone likes it soft, someone likes it crispy. Yeah, it's just pizza and a different styles I think. I'm yeah, we're pretty proud of our product. The fact that it doesn't exist anywhere else. It's very unique. There's no pizza like it, like in the country really because it is, especially with the toppings and stuff we do. So yeah, it's good to be the only one.
Speaker 1: So turn on top of the hotel with the Imperial at you'll be cooking upper storm. Like you've got the pizza oven thing going, is it like, is it gas or wood?
Speaker 3: Would? Yeah, probably probably we're going to turn them more's Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: A paint the ass. I mean I actually during COVID, like I don't know how I got talked to, but I built. I've got a guy to come building a pizza up like bricks and in the back of the and I've only used it once but twice. But I didn't really had to get it's wood pizza right, so I had to get up to a certain temperature.
Speaker 3: You can preheat it.
Speaker 1: It takes so long. I mean, you would only do it if you're sort of going to cook a hundred pizzas twenty usially a couple of hours.
Speaker 3: You needed at least to get the oven at the right time and.
Speaker 1: It's actually hard work, Like you've got to be really attendive. That's why I quite like the what's that? Whether's the dome? I got a done on my farm, but I got the other guys near the smaller one that roo rock boxy. Yeah, I've got one of those, but I don't put the wood in and put the gas on the back. It's really good that.
Speaker 3: That's how pizza Bros. At the Brewery started.
Speaker 1: It was rock box That's what I bought one, and then he came on a show and he gave me one of the bigger ones and long time. But that's it my farm. I have never used it, actually, but I love the rock box I've got. I've got rock box at the farm too. But the big pizza we're gonna put the wooden. It's like a mission. Like it's a dead set mission, Lea. So you'll be doing that like the time you kick it off.
Speaker 3: I mean like, yeah, we'll be starting a bit late today.
Speaker 2: But I forgot to get the key off him last night, so we want to turn that. I'm supposed to preheat it before we came to The album's not on, but we'll just go on blasts, all right, we've got.
Speaker 1: And then all the preparation all they like. I don't make the I go and buy something that's already made. I do the topics, but I don't don't think do the other thing. But I quite like my pizza that I don't know what. Because cook myself often I feel like I've achieved something like proud of It sounds a bit silly, but it sounds a little little bit juvenaled. But I actually quite like my own pizza when I bring it out, like I think that's pretty good. That's about money and things.
Speaker 3: I cook a lot of people now they cook.
Speaker 2: I haven't got sick of it fifteen years. I love making pizzas.
Speaker 1: Why do you guys love making pizzas? Tell me why? Apart from it, I don't know anything.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything else anything I know and you know you do well.
Speaker 3: The only thing I do well. It's just stretching circles and cooking them properly.
Speaker 1: But why do you love me? To love me because of people who buy from you enjoy it? Or is it because it's creative and or it's your own business.
Speaker 2: Or it's a creative outlet. I guess like like our margarita We don't do a red like a normal spoon sauce.
Speaker 3: We do splash it. So we're trying to be artists. It is creative, but every every pizza we make is our own creation. Yeah, I guess, yeah, it is that much.
Speaker 2: But yeah, pizza only even in Italy, it's just a way of life. Like they go to the pizza, ea, they get espresso, the cigarette. It's just yeah, it's a lifestyle, I guess yeah, and not many people would want to do it though, for like that many hours in whole hundred and forty degree oven, standing up for twelve hours the next day, twelve hours the wood.
Speaker 3: It's not like such smoke. Yeah, sometimes I go home and like I'm cooked from the other Some of the jobs we had before prior the chimneys weren't fitted properly. Go home, I touched my nose a black soot. It's like it's an undesirable team to want to do. It's full hard YAKA. Like I said, it's not easy. Yeah, yeah, people think it is, and that's why so many people have opened pizza places that have never worked, because they weren't pizza chefs themselves, and they just thought that they could do.
Speaker 2: There was a wave in the Lockdown of people making pizzas at home going on that.
Speaker 1: Well that's me. I got the rock Boston of the period.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And that's when pizza making became cool internationally. Prior to that, we were considered maybe less than a chef, a pizziolo or a pizziola. But in the COVID Lockdown, with the help of Gosney, it kind of became this trend all around the world. Hey, pizzas cool.
Speaker 1: He guys cool, the guy, he is a cool dude. You met Tom Yeah, he sat right there, true, yeah him, Yet we spoken to him. He came to Australia and he wanted to come to the show, so he sat right there like, yeah, he's cool.
Speaker 3: He's a good good story too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unbelievable. And it's interesting that you go start off with that. And so where to from here though, it's.
Speaker 3: A good question. That's that's top secret.
Speaker 1: Come on, we've went breaking news from Pizza bro.
Speaker 3: Well, I think like we want to.
Speaker 2: We're pretty serious about our content, the content we create, pretty serious about equality. A few topics that might be like in a mainstream Australia might be a bit touchy to some people. People have their own opinions on it.
Speaker 3: We we also we do do make content stuff that have nothing to do with the pizza. Yeah, nothing to do with it. And that's what you know. I'm sure there's people out there that are just like, oh, why they're doing that way they're doing this, But everything we've done so far has.
Speaker 1: Worked, and I reckon you've got a plan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, everyone like marks into it.
Speaker 1: If someone tells I'd love to playing cards because like you're a bit craft, yeah you can't. You can't keep the smile. I know that I can see something cooking in his brain. Guilty, not guilty, but cooking, cooking.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we're not one hundred percent sure, but we've got some Yeah, we've got plans.
Speaker 1: And well, Gym's in the food game. I'm in the broadcast game, so I'll put through a hat in the ring. So if you want to do something around that territory, like if you're thinking about something outside of food, maybe come and see me. Like it sounds like it'd be fun because you've got a young guys, and I got a young team here, and I get so much energy out of people like you, like young people. I mean I'd love to do something crazy busses like you like something, there's nothing better for me.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: We just got the Mustang wrapped camos, so we get marked to drive it or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mustang, I love them.
Speaker 2: Yeah serious, I'm a learner. I can't drive.
Speaker 3: It's Mundy's car.
Speaker 1: You get a Mustake, Yeah, a new one or one of the old.
Speaker 3: It's an old one's twenty seventeen, but it's it's been done up. It's had a lot of work done to it. You got wrapped like in wrapped in cameo. Yeah, it's like kind of like something and drive.
Speaker 1: It's not not one of the old left hand drives.
Speaker 3: No, right, yeah it was. Yeah, but it's had a lot of work done to it. So yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: It's been I love I love my stakes. Yeah. I kept thinking I should buy one, like I keep saying I'm going to buy I'm going to buy one, and then I sort of forget about it.
Speaker 3: The new ones off the head, they're mad.
Speaker 1: The new ones, like the motor is unreal. They sound good. Yeah, but I like the old sixty five, those light blue ones. Oh yeah, six five six six, I think what is sixty five six six. Obviously you guys weren't born.
Speaker 3: But that's like, that's like back in like the clin Eastwood Bank robbery.
Speaker 1: But left they're they're all left hand drive, of course, but really yeah yeah, but they look unreal.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, they've seen not convertible and a few of them around.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, you see, you do seem around like the colors ws on them. Total car, but the left hand drive light blue sixty five Mustang Mate curl so good, like Mark's next car so good, you know, like I'm driving all land Cruise of these days. I'm just being practical. But I keep saying, why you be so fucking practical? Like just being impractic like I was when I was younger. When you're younger, more impractical, you do things you want to do, and you get older you start to think, oh, I'm going to be prady like that. But now you've guys inspired me, which is the reason why I like to have young people around me, because they actually inspire me to do good ship like younger people stuff. You guys are inspiring me just listening to your story. The story is unreal. There's unreal. I'm going to have to get up there I'm gonna forget out.
Speaker 3: I'll bring fan with their seven days.
Speaker 2: I bring yeah another.
Speaker 1: He's one of my great mates. So like he ran me yesterday so twice. I know, I know why because there was a final last time that you probably you want to probably want to go or something like that. But but I'll bring Jeff and I probably suits you too. And Jeff rings.
Speaker 3: We did a cook up at their house, like not that long ago.
Speaker 2: We left him a Gosney. They loved the gosney so much.
Speaker 3: Leave it here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he went and got a belt and signed it and we were all drunk on the red wine.
Speaker 1: At didn't play cards with like you no, be careful.
Speaker 3: We discussed that. No, no, that was the end of the night.
Speaker 1: He gets to play cards because he can drink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'd never had red wine that good.
Speaker 3: That was that was the best red wine. Yeah. Yeah, he's he's got good war tours as well.
Speaker 2: He's got mad We couldn't believe Mike Tyson's pants there. We just signed and everything.
Speaker 1: You know, he's got one mate. He's because he knows you're training. He trained years. Jeff's a good blake mate.
Speaker 3: He's a bit very supportive of us from the beginning. Yeah, Like Mardy reached.
Speaker 2: Out to his daughter member in Merrickville and said, oh, you know, my brother used to cook your family pizzas or whatnot, and he came.
Speaker 3: Down very he was, he was, he was. He came down the day I messaged her the same few hours later, he just comes walking down to the brewery and we were like, he's here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he heard was a pizza called the married formula married for He.
Speaker 3: Found there's too Maltese brothers doing it. That would us. Being Maltese helped one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Because he's becomes you've got to be really multi centric like he's become. Because he went back to Malta last year and the first first time, and that was his first time and they trimmed like god like the not surprise ambassador something like some fancy president or whatever they meet him to superstarf made to him to them he is, you know, and small country. It's unbelievable, unbelievable. Well, I'm definitely coming down and I'm dying to know what you're gonna do from here. Don't you give it away? Okay, don't you know it is too obviously you know it. But you're cooking something. I know it and you guys, actually it's a bit like spending. I mean, I love the fact that young guys get out and say and do and back it up with something that's like high value for Australians. You back it up and spend his backs up with what he does. People love his content, his inspiration for aspirational people, his inspiration for people who go down the wrong track and turn their lives around. You guys are doing the same thing. And what's great about this story is how you never fucking gave up. And what's really good about it, and it resonates with me in particular, is that two brothers just kept backing each other, that that brotherly link is so strong like.
Speaker 3: Old school that it wasn't that the way it used to be, like old clack in the day brothers would go there, brother.
Speaker 1: My brother and I still the same. And I'm nearly seventy. So my brother and I were still in business together. And he left UNI at twenty four, if you need it, same age, but I'm five years older than him. We've been in business ever since he left UNI, ever since, so that's forty odd years.
Speaker 3: Well, and we're also going to trust.
Speaker 1: But your brother maybe the best. And by the way, we fucking argue all the time. You can argue, but you said brother you always no matter what, ain't no worries whatever, get on with it. And such a good thing to about it, to all the story. So I want to congratulations, well done and thanks for coming in.
Speaker 3: Guys appreciate it, thanks for having appreciate it. Thank you. M hm hmmm.