Speaker 1: Tomorrow d day, well tonight really midnight tonight, the social media band kicks in, So the likes of Instagram, Facebook, you know, snapchat, whatever it is, whatever the social platform under sixteens will be banned. And the PM is actually getting on the front foot. So tomorrow when the kids get to school, there'll be a video waiting for them from our Prime minister.
Speaker 2: It's a Prime minister here, and I want to speak to you directly about something very important. From December ten, if you're under sixteen, you're no longer allowed to have a social media account. You'll know better than anyone what it's like growing up with algorithms, endless speeds and the pressure that can come with that.
Speaker 3: Good on him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 5: I'm not a parent, but and I'm not a kid under sixteen, but god, I'm glad I grew up in an era where we didn't have social media as kids. Hopefully this helps kids be kids again. Rights, I think.
Speaker 4: I think there's a big portion of kids that are looking forward to it. Us chatting with some parents last night at basketball training, and one of them has a teenage daughter who they're debating whether to give her a phone, give her an account, and stuff, and the problem they did because the problem was all her friends had one, so then she's stuck being the one out.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the other thing, because it's the pressure from kids.
Speaker 5: I had friends who had their kid had his phone taken off him, and the dad said to me the other day, I mean the pressure from his mate.
Speaker 3: Ye, pasting a cop for not having a bone. Yes, was awful. So you're all in this together.
Speaker 5: Kids nice to each other because I know there will be a lot of kids listening to these who were dreading it.
Speaker 3: Of course, but don't don't.
Speaker 5: Just give it a chance, give it a shot. It'll be frustrating, it's not going to be perfect. You're going to reach for it occasionally because we all do it right, becomes a bit of a habit. It'll take some time to get used to please kids. Give it a shot.
Speaker 1: So on a more macro level, the big social networks, if you like, can be fined tens of millions of dollars if they're not enforcing this. But jace to you a question, because as of tomorrow you're going to have to enforce it. On a more micro level, yeah, really you are, because they are kids on social.
Speaker 4: No they're not on social but YouTube's going to be the big one. Now here's the thing.
Speaker 1: There are I mean, without you know, throwing a cheap code the kids ways, there will be workarounds like let's not kid ourselves there were There will be ways to get still to still try and infiltrate the system, which is where parents will need to step up.
Speaker 3: It's parents have to police it to one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: But I think it's just like you say, if I had a beer this afternoon at home, right, my kids aren't going to reach for the beer and take a sip because they.
Speaker 3: Know they're not allowed.
Speaker 4: They're just not allowed. Yeah, of course, And it's just you know, and it won't be bloody easy. Trust me. There'll be days where I know my kids will reach them try and load up YouTube.
Speaker 5: Well it's sort of under parental control though, because there are things on YouTube that kids watch which are great or they're interesting.
Speaker 4: There'll be allowed YouTube kids, YouTube kids is still you.
Speaker 5: Have to police how much as a parent if you can't have the government just parenting kids, so you have to say, all right, well I'm going to allow you to do that at dinner.
Speaker 4: Most TVs now you can put pink codes on the apps.
Speaker 1: So just on that point quickly, YouTube kids, can you still search for something like mister Beast? Yeah, like appropriate and stuff, and so it goes through the YouTube filter? Yeah, right, okay, And.
Speaker 4: To be honest, I'll be there's videos that slipped through the filter of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you've got a parent as well, exactly.
Speaker 4: And like we said, this isn't going to be a perfect situation, but it's better than not doing something.
Speaker 5: Well, good luck kids, because I know it will be hard for a lot of kids as well that are like it becomes it becomes habit.
Speaker 4: Do you know what my bigger concern is people like Clint still on Snapchat?
Speaker 1: Well I was going to say Snapchat is still okay, No, no, it's on the list so the kids, Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 4: But what concerns me is you're a grown you're a grown manchat It's a good question, who are you sending a lot of people sort of like chat vice, like you.
Speaker 1: Send a naughty no no, no no, no, naughty picks, no, naughty picks. Rangers no, not no, not strangers just on Snapchat?
Speaker 4: Have you got middle aged men still?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I do?
Speaker 4: Have you heard them? Fact?
Speaker 1: In fact, a leading horse trainer in this town, Wayne Hawks. He uses it and he sends me sort of like you listen to the show, send me feedback about the show, send me I know, I know.
Speaker 5: I isn't Snapchat just where you put photos with funny fields or have I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's evolved since since that. Yeah, but I think I don't think there is also an element.
Speaker 3: Of, you know, well, it's good that the kids are getting off of them.
Speaker 4: I think too. Dare I say you'd prosbably it just sort of sits dormant in there. To be honest, it does not mate. You take photos all the time, You're just going to send it all snapchat. Someone would you say Clint's probably the oldest person in Snapchat.
Speaker 3: I have no idea. I'm not. I don't know if people are getting around using it. I guess they are. Thirteen twenty four you just said, helld tea, he be older than me. It's going to be thrilled.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably out a month now. Thirday twenty four ten. Are you older than Clint and you're on Snapchat? Clint's forty five thirty five? You are not thirty five?
Speaker 1: I am aging backwards.
Speaker 4: Jays try to check. Forty five forty two? Thank you? Are you older than you're.
Speaker 3: About to turn forty three.
Speaker 4: And still on Snapchat? Still forty two?
Speaker 5: It's true, guys, give him a break. He's forty two and fifty one weeks?
Speaker 3: Are you really forty two in fifty one weeks?
Speaker 4: Thirteen twenty four ten is out number? Are you older than Clint?
Speaker 3: He's forty two and eleven?
Speaker 1: Are you older than me? And what are you using it for?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And are you on the chat?
Speaker 3: And I want to know what you're using.
Speaker 4: Morning Melbourne? Justin Biever? Sorry right on eight thirty This is no over one hundred thirteen twenty four ten social media ban kicked in tomorrow? Will he? Are you going to ban me? Yeah? I think we should. I just you're too well for snapchat?
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 4: Bro, you're forty five?
Speaker 7: Bro?
Speaker 3: How many people come on? Oh god, no, no, I got what'sapp?
Speaker 4: Signal?
Speaker 1: Got signal?
Speaker 3: I got signals?
Speaker 1: I don't have got waker.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that one is.
Speaker 5: Say hang on, just quickly clank when you put something on Snapchat?
Speaker 3: Question?
Speaker 5: When you put something on snapchat? Does do you send it to one person? Or do you send it to everyone in your list.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: How many is on your list? Can you give numbers?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but when you went to.
Speaker 5: The Cowboys shop yesterday for our while party, we're trying on cowboy hats sending.
Speaker 3: Them to me.
Speaker 4: No, no, I just sent that to you.
Speaker 1: But what I would say is that it's sort of connected to your phone books, so it comes up in your phone.
Speaker 3: You send it to everybody.
Speaker 4: You have the premier's number in there. I don't think you and chaps.
Speaker 1: Actually, let's say Cindra Ellen's snapchatable.
Speaker 3: She should be fixing the stake in Geelong.
Speaker 4: How old are you and how are you on snapchat?
Speaker 8: Morning gang? I'm fifty five, Craig, what are you doing? I'm a bit I actually prefer a messenger to talk to people because then you know they've read the bloody message. But my kids are all young, all their mates are young, and they send snapchats. But I day, I was driving driving along on a snapchat from my son and I looked up at the phone and it's a photo of underneath his chin and it's his nostrils. What are you saying to me?
Speaker 7: That? For?
Speaker 8: He goes that's what we do that every roll wore Snapchat to heads and nostrils, either a message or not at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, my age, you don't want to shoot from down there?
Speaker 4: John me brother? Oh my?
Speaker 3: Do you want to recruising? Drive for friends?
Speaker 4: How are Jane in this? And good morning Jane?
Speaker 7: Good morning?
Speaker 4: How old are you? And are you on Snapchat?
Speaker 7: I'm if he's sick and I'm on Snapchat with all my nieces and nephews.
Speaker 3: But they're monitoring their children.
Speaker 4: My nieces are on it. How old are they, reb Lara? They're they're old enough to be on Snapchat?
Speaker 3: Are they over sixteen?
Speaker 5: Are they getting They're getting pumped tomorrow.
Speaker 4: They get pumped. One of them is all right, Julie. How old are you and are you on Snapchat? Hi?
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm on Snapchat. I'm nearly sixty four.
Speaker 3: Who is snap and jewels?
Speaker 7: My kids? My friends and they love it.
Speaker 3: The kids.
Speaker 6: Love it.
Speaker 7: We're on it every day.
Speaker 3: What is snapping?
Speaker 5: Me?
Speaker 7: Well, I snapped my dog because they gave us a new puppy, so my dogs. But I've been on it since day one and I'm glad i have because I've got all those memories.
Speaker 3: What do they say?
Speaker 7: Just we're doing house of renovations. I'm doing. You know, it's just every I'm doing because I live a little bit further than them. So yeah, I doing my day.
Speaker 4: Facebook. Were you using it to keep touch with did you say the memory.
Speaker 5: Say Julie, Julie when you're snapping a picture of your dog. Does it go to everyone in your phone book?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: It other goes to who I like if I do it just to my friends or just directly to my kids. Yeah, yeah, Look, I've got so many memories of years, like how long step chat been going, been going to forever?
Speaker 4: Forever?
Speaker 1: Jeels, That's why I'm still on a I was on from the outside. Just got a snap from our gen Z producer.
Speaker 5: Look at that.
Speaker 3: But she's a g Z allowed to be honest?
Speaker 4: Clint, Hey, Clint shall we should we check your archives? No, we shouldn't know.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 4: What's wrong?
Speaker 3: Said? It was in touch with your niece friend?
Speaker 4: You said family chats gen Z? Hello, do you like having me on Snapchat?
Speaker 3: I love it? And I can see where you are as well? You mean I can see your location?
Speaker 5: Can you track people on Snapchat?
Speaker 4: So he doesn't know you see me?
Speaker 2: You can see me?
Speaker 3: Oh? Jeez, I had no idea I've been stalking him.
Speaker 4: I'd be pouring picture over that phone and a lot all my friends.
Speaker 3: Can you see where everyone on snapchat is?
Speaker 4: So you can?
Speaker 3: It's so dangerous. No, no, you can choose plaint.
Speaker 4: What's your name on Snapchatt?
Speaker 3: Look at mine in Australia?
Speaker 4: Next? How how old are you and you on Snapchat?
Speaker 6: I'm sixty three and I've been on snap chats for ages.
Speaker 3: What are you doing on their dark boobshots?
Speaker 6: Nothing else to do when you get.
Speaker 3: Are you just staying in touch with friends? Are you meeting strangers?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 6: No, not meeting strangers. I girlfriend and I are up to just over two and a half thousand streaks.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, because it's a streak.
Speaker 1: So if you do it, you send one No, no, you got to send one snap a day to maintain the streak. So Lynette and a girlfriend are on a how two and a half out.
Speaker 6: Thousand days thousand?
Speaker 3: That's like seven years.
Speaker 6: Every day every day we send.
Speaker 3: A snap to each other.
Speaker 6: Yes, even when I went overseas, we kept the steps.
Speaker 3: What was your daily snap to her today?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 6: Just a blank screen with the.
Speaker 7: Date on it.
Speaker 4: They want to keep the streakingte Do you want to go streaking with Clint nah Taylornette?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You ever?
Speaker 1: You ever send anything saucy on Snapchat?
Speaker 6: Uh No, that's a lie.
Speaker 5: Jason Lauren Lauren wake up feeling good on the socials.