Speaker 1: I'll get I Grovers, Craig and the Harper, Kate, Mary and Veronica, Wilma Malaria Save what. I don't know? What you do? You have a second name, Kate Save.
Speaker 2: I do, and like most, a lot of womenutes their grandma's first name. So it's Kate Patricia, Patricia, Kate Patricia.
Speaker 1: How are you, Kate Patricia? I'm well, where do we find you at?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Right now? Tell my listeners where you are now? Because your life is very interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, I've just traveled from Melbourne Victory, where I was talking to the female players and some of the Matilda's, and I've headed into the studio world WTFN, where they make Bondavette and lots of the shows that you'd waughtch over all of the big networks. I'm looking around the office that I've borrowed. I can see the Hunters, Ares, the Doctor, Supercars, the living Room, Space Invaders, Ocean, Thailand, Oddball. There you go. They're just the posters in the room.
Speaker 1: That's also where you film your show, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I filmed twenty eight days that changed my life here and well it was mostly on location, but yes, with the team here and yeah, we were filming up in Sydney working with the guys that do Space Invaders, which is the cluttering show. Have you ever seen that?
Speaker 1: It would do your head in the decluttering show, the one with that what is that? I mean? There is something? I mean?
Speaker 3: Is there?
Speaker 1: You know this has got nothing to do with food.
Speaker 2: It's written about it. Oh it is. Yes, there's a link between food and hoarders.
Speaker 1: Really all right, let's so before we talk about the link between food and hoarders and oh my god, I've never thought that, and I think about a lot of shit. I've never thought about that correlation. But and I guess in hoarding there must be some mental health issues going on. Of course, just give a little bit of a snapshot of you, like a just a quick bio if you would. Yes.
Speaker 2: So, I'm a dietitian, excise physiologist and diabetes educator. I am the founder of PPMN, a dietitian consultancy that we've run for twenty years manage medical centers and private hospitals and their dietitian services. And ten years after that I started Beefit Food, a doctor and dietitian design scientifically formulated, ready made meals company.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, Like I don't know, Yeah, you are busy. Do you see yourself as more Maybe it's an equal mix. But like, because you're an educator, you're also a scientist, because you're an excise physiologist and a dietitian two different fields but related of course. And you're an entrepreneur, you're a businesswoman. What do you feel the most like do you feel like a scientist or an educator or an EP or a dietitian or do you feel like an entrepreneur primarily? Like what what's your kind of Because I did business for a long time and I can do the entrepreneurial stuff, but my natural habitat is more teaching and coaching. I can do it, and I had four gyms and I employed five hundred trainers, but it took me a long time to realize I can do this, but I'm not passionate. Like what do you feel most connected to? Oh?
Speaker 2: Being around people? So I think today I'm in my element when I was presenting at Melbourne Victory to the girls soccer team and we're looking at you know, national soccer players, some of them in the league there that have played, you know, for the biggest competitions in the world with the matildas and educating them about their gut health and the impact that it has on their sports performance and how important you know, literally what they eat, their sleep, how they're recovering all those sorts of things. That's when I'm in my element, and I think the business and entrepreneurial side of that is really how you work out how you get to do more of what you love. And I love food, so always working on recipes and new food ideas and phone calls in the car with just ideas. So I think a bit of balance. But I definitely change hour by hour.
Speaker 1: And you're also a TV presenter because I was on your show, which was which is the Inspired CEO? That's what it's called, isn't that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: The Inspired CEO?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so you've got plenty going on, all right, tell us about the relationship before I forget between the hoarders and food and maybe even mental health. What's tell us about that?
Speaker 2: There's actually been books read about it, sorry written about it. I own one of them. What is fascinating is that people who called things more often than not there's some the lying psychological issue like there is with binge eating disorders, or the other eating disorders. So I think there's this correlation between a whole hoarding stuff. And there are certainly people that hold in their fridge too, and I've seen one of those, and you know, no fault of anyone's own, it's how whatever happened to them when they were growing up or their habits. And it's super interesting the show Space Invaders to get inside someone's home and you watch them literally put every single belonging that they have into boxes, put it on a truck, take it to these giant warehouses and I mean giant, and they unpack every single little item and they tell them you are only going to keep twenty to thirty percent of this, seventy to eighty percent needs to go. And then the show is literally about why are people keeping these things? Why can't they part with them? And it can be the smallest thing that someone on the show wants to get rid of, but it becomes, you know, like the the biggest deal imaginable. It brings them to tears. And I think that's where the show is spectacularly good at working out what is really going on with getting rid of that teapot, whatever it might be, Like, what is so important about that. It's not that the grandmother or the mother gave it to them, it's whatever the story was that they remembered and why that was so critical. And the same thing with food. So I would go into these homes to film and you would open up the pantries or the fridge. And this is not every single order, obviously, but I certainly experienced this firsthand, and it would be jam packed, and I mean like you could not squeeze a green bean in there, like you know what I mean, because every hole has been stuffed, absolutely stuffed, and the age and the rot and how old some of that stuff is is you know, it would be very unappealing for most people. But people happily live normal lives and.
Speaker 1: Have normal jobs.
Speaker 2: Yet they live in this disarray with their stuff. And I think after seeing it firsthand and meeting these people, everyone has a story in they just deal with it in different ways.
Speaker 1: What do you think the under And I'm sure there's not one thing. And by the way, everyone nether are as psychologists. We're not prescribing anything or we're not diagnosing anything. It's just two people having a chat. But what do you think? And again, Kate dietician and ex scise physiologists, not a psychologist, but you know, you work with a lot of people. What do you think the underlying causes are? Like? What what? You know? What is somebody's story when they've got rotting, decaying, out of date food in the fridge that they don't want to get rid of.
Speaker 2: I can definitely see a pattern with stress in people's lives, so the stress of their job, but the job may not really be what's getting them down. It might be that they didn't think life would work out the way it's worked out. You know, it's a much bigger issue that they thought perhaps maybe they'd be married now, or maybe they wouldn't be on their second partner, or maybe they'd have kids or you know. It's so complex and it's hiding things, I guess, but not wanting to lose things. And you certainly see with clothing that people feel like they're twenty still. I'm sure you do, Craig.
Speaker 1: I'm a bad example because my wardrobe is extremely limited. But I know what you're saying.
Speaker 2: So people don't want to get rid of things that give them memories of being out when they were twenty right, So they're forty five, they're fifty now, but they're hanging onto the clothing that is joy. I remember I wore that blue dress and we went here. I used to wear that all the time. I can't get rid of that, and it's the time's gone so fast that there's no way they're probably ever wearing that again. However, letting go of something that they enjoyed in their life or a past and then seeing where they are in the present is such a cliche that they can't let it go.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: A lot of portraits, which is really all family pictures, but they have a second family and addressing that on National TVs pretty full on. I watched an episode where it certainly ended in tears for everyone because you've been confronted about why have you got your husband or your ex husband's exit, you know, these certain items when you're married to me and we have our own family, don't you love me? Or you know, all those conversations come out and it's it's so much deeper than what you think.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is really interesting, and I guess there is. You know with some I would get it with some things, like you said, my mom, you know, my mum gave me this and now my mum's not here anymore. So I get that. But when there's like mountains of stuff, I guess on some level people must must have some emotional and psychological and or psychological attachment to that thing. And if they give that those genes away that they haven't mourned since nineteen eighty eight, they feel, like, you know, that must represent a hole in their heart or a hole in their life in some way. And that is because, I mean, the problem is not the It's like the hoarding is the end result. It's like, yes, it's like you know, when we talk about obesity and being overweight or being unhealll feel being unfit. It's like, well, having that body that doesn't work optimally, that body that's, for one of a better term, out of shape or not optimally functional. That's really the byproduct of the choices that you're making, Craig and your lifestyle. Craig and the boot and all the things you're putting in your body, they're the problems. The consequence, Craig is now you're one hundred and thirty kilos and your blood pressures through the roof and you're pre diabetic, if not diabetic, and it fucking hurts to get in and out of the car, and you know, so it's almost like that's the consequence, But the underlying problem is something like I'm trying to medicate myself with food. I'm trying to numb out with food. I'm trying to distract myself with food. And these are psychological and emotional drivers that end up in a physical outcome. And I guess there must be psychological and emotional drivers which make people hold on to things that they actually don't need.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm going to read this whole book because I bought the book because I was interested in I haven't yet. I've just sort of opened it up to take on my next holiday. Once i've read it, i'll give it to you and we can break this down for the listeners. Because I do not feel qualified until i've read the book. I want to know.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what. That's why I said we're having a chat. I don't think either obviously qualified to unpack that too much, but it's fucking interesting conversation. Nonetheless, I wanted to ask you because something you are qualified to talk about and me to a lesser extent. But you know, it seems like every ten minutes, there's a new theory, there's a new ideology, there's a new program, there's a new prescription around food, there's new research that contradicts last week's research.
Speaker 2: And it's like a girl that's in your scene.
Speaker 1: Really right, And so there's I mean, and there are a myriad of ideologies and philosophies and programs and books and even research the it, like I said, contradicts last week's research. What do we know for sure? And what don't we know, Like what's a bit like question mark asterisk in the food realm or in the nutrition realm, And what do we absolutely know that's not debatable? And I mean, I know this is a big question. There's a million things, but it's like, I'll shut up after this. But it's like one of my friends said to me the other day, not a friend, actually somebody that I know. So it's an acquaintance that they're eating one time a day, which again, this is just what they're doing everyone, not a recommendation, and it works and they feel great through the day cognitively and all of these things. I'm like, that's interesting. And then I was thinking about it later and I thought, well, probably One of the reasons that it's working for them, if it is, is just that the total calorie intake just happens to be down because they're only eating once a day. So maybe it's not the once a day model as much as it is just that, well, over all, your calories are down compared to what they used to be.
Speaker 2: I can break that one down for you. It's less decisions. So apparently we think about food over three hundred times a day. Oh should I snack on this? Am I still hungry? Am I going to have more? When am I going to eat? What am I going to buy for dinner? Did I just eat some cookie in the kitchen? Or do I leave it on the bench? So we think about food all the time. So if you're restricted to eating once a day, then perhaps you're like Steve Jobs with his his same outfit every day. Perhaps you not wasting energy on things. However, can I just say all this intermitt and fasting research, and all the fasting research predominantly has been done on men, and when you start to consider women and their cycles and what happens. I'm only really just delving into this now because I think so much has come up in the media about fast like a girl with mindy pelts and teaching people to do water fast and when to do it to time up with their cycles. I did not recognize it. In the second half of the menstrual cycles. You've got first half where you've got the bleed and then you yeah, you've got ovulation. Then the second half, the last fourteen days, you actually increase your calorie outputs by zero point one six calories percular body mass per hour. So it's the equivalent of about two to three hundred calories extra per day you burn every fourteen days as a female.
Speaker 1: Wow, as a menstruating female. Does that stop at menopause? I guess it does.
Speaker 2: Yes, So it all changes again, I guess because it's a body preparing the line at the uterus to shit. And then so once you start delving into the cycle and what physically happens in the female body and the energy that goes towards that, and it doesn't stop for thirty years. It depends on the person. But I mean, it goes worth all different lengths. But that has not been considered in a lot of the science. It's out there, and the reason behind that is because if we're studying something like intermittent fasting, you study it on a man, well, they're assuming men are all the same, whereas with women they need to look at the times in the cycle and everything sort of costs three times the amount to do the study as just doing it on men. So that's why you don't find a lot of the research on women that.
Speaker 1: Is so interesting that you said that it is more expensive to do that research on women, so they do it. Do you know what is this is? I mean, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot or throw science under the bus, but this is so interesting, isn't it when you think about just that as one of literally thousands and tens of thousands of like science is meant to be pure, like it's like we're just meant to and obviously it isn't. Some science is amazing, But as I always say, the problem with sciences that humans created it, Humans facilitated humans do the research. Some research gets funded by organizations with agendas, of course, and then the humans who do the research interpret it and want to often produce a certain outcome. So there is nothing close to objectivity, right, absolutely all about the science. Will then clearly you've never been to a university because it's about it's about a research lab. It's about lots of things, including the science.
Speaker 2: That's not all read the footnotes of who pay for it. As soon as you delve into that, then you look at it through a completely different lens and you read it all over again.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and you think, oh, wow, like that what you just said. Firstly, I didn't know that that is a revenue. So did you say the first fourteen days or the second fourth and.
Speaker 2: Days, second fourteen days? So in the first fourteen days, because you've got the bleeding phase, and then you then the fourteenth day or thereabout somewhere in that window, you've got the ovulation. But then after the ovulation, the body is set up the lining of the uterus to potentially house the embryo fetus of the terminology wrong bus. So you're actually forgot a hyper metabolic state, so you're burning more calories. And they say it's actually not good to fast then, or maybe even intimate and fasting, because females also are more able to burn fat than meant so we're better fat burners. Apparently we're better at storing fat, we're better at burning fat, and That's why we tend to probably be better at endurance. And all of our hormones at cascade throughout this period are going up and down, and they play with our mood and everything else, but they also play with our metabolic rate and the way that we store and process food. And I think ultimately understanding that helps you, as a female go no wonder. I find it easy to diet or hard to diet, or easy to stick something or hard because these massive cascading levels of estrogen, progesterone, the lutinizing hormone, all these different hormones going throughout our body. And if we're not in touch with that, and I'm not someone who really knows, you know, day one to twenty eight of my cycle, I never really have paid attention. But I've had two children, and that's just not planned, just lucky, or people might say I'm lucky, but lucky for me, and well, a lot of the friends that I know just do pay attention to that. And I think what we're starting, what I'm starting to appreciate having two young daughters, is it. I think it's really important to actually understand it, because no wonder, mood changes and I'm not someone who's ever really thought they had PMS or had changes and bits and pieces like other women might. However, I think once you start to be more in touch with that, and if you're thinking about teaching your own daughters and my daughters at ten and twelve about these I really need to know as much as I can because I want to give them the right information. And it's not taught in schools. It's definitely not passed down generations. I can tell you right now, my mum did not pass down any of this information. I don't think she had it either. She most women don't even talk about menopause. So there is this whole side of science that perhaps has just never been.
Speaker 1: Done on women. That is I mean, that is so interesting, That is so relevant for so many people. This is a good conversation. I'm excited. I like obviously from an excise prescription and programming point of view, there are you know, there are variables between men and women, and of course I guess it makes sense with nutrition as well, but there's that much of a not a difference, but there's that much that we need to pay attention to to be able to understand women's nutritional needs.
Speaker 2: And exercise prescription. There are experts in this that I didn't know until I delved him that you apparently the women are not supposed to do high intensity or as high intensity exercise during certain parts of the cycle because obviously you've got this increased metabolism anyway, but you've apparently your best after the bleed, so after the first you know, five to seven days, depending on the person, because you've got this rise in estrogen. So you've got this lift in your mood, this lift in your energy, and that is when you can train really, really hard. And even with strength training you get more gains. And I think what we don't even hear a lot about is with strength training in males and females, that both males and females have estrogen testosterone, and how do you get those to work for you when with you and for men it's assumed that everything's pretty steady, but for women, we know it literally hits the roof and then it hits the floor, and it's not fact, did it.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, it's really I mean to be able to And this is one of the things about you know, broadly speaking, we talk about exercise programming, nutrition, and it's like when somebody says to me, Craig, what's the best way to do X Y Z, And I say, well, for who, Because the answer to that question will be twenty different answers for twenty different people. Because everybody not only obviously men and women different, but women and women are different. Men and men are different, you know, twenty year olds and forty year olds are different. Everybody's genetically predisposed to respond or interact in a different way with different stimuli. And it's trying to figure out, you know, how your body, like I don't know about you, but speaking about you know, menstrual cycles and something, menstrual cycles and such like, some women fly through that with like very little disturbance or issue or problem, and then for some women it's a fucking nightmare every four weeks, you know, And it's like wow, and there's no I mean, obviously there's a reason, but there's no obvious apparent reason why that should be so different.
Speaker 2: I find that fascinating too, because mine has never bothered me. I haven't paid enough attention to it now that I've got girls that are potentially going to go through this. And I heard a very close person to be said to me the other day, Oh, my doctor thinks maybe I should get a hysterectomy. And I'm like, oh my god, do not do that unresearched. You do not appreciate the role that those hormones are playing in your body. If you do not need one, do not do that unresearched. It could be the worst thing you would ever ever do. And I know that people My auntie was forced to have one in her twenties, early twenties, I think it was, and I know that that played havoc for her with the way that she felt about everything. And of course it will because you're taking out, you know, that hormonal balance. It is supposed to be there for maybe up until we're in our forties or fifties, So to lose that in your twenties definitely disturbs your emotions and a lot lot more.
Speaker 1: You know, And this is a real case for you know, everything is like, you know, everything is an integration. You know, it's like the mind, the body, the emotions, the cardiovascular system, the endocrime system, the muscular system, you know, the reproductive system. Like in research and science, it all operates in disparate this over here and then we've got that over there, then we've got that. But in reality, you know, as as a as a functional human, everything affects everything all the time, you know. And it's like, and I've said this too many times, but you have a thought which is a non physical thing, a thought, and then that might all of that thought could create a physiological response like elevated heart rate or breathing or blood pressure or cortisol or don't mean whatever, the thought is right, and like, nothing operates in isolation. And that's why sometimes you think, I wish my endochronologists could talk to my dietitian could talk to my ep exos physiologists could talk to my s you could talk. I wish I had a whole fucking team rather than people going, well, I'm an expert in that, so I'm going to tell you to get your thyroid out, but my naturopaths going no, don't fucking do that. Don't do that.
Speaker 2: Is the problem with our whole healthcare system. My very best girlfriend, who works in intensive care will undeniably tell you that the whole healthcare system is pretty much stuffed because we just specialize on one part of it. We don't have communication with everyone else in their different specialties, and that is not how you create a healthy well organism. It's like saying, I'm going to take my car for a service, but today I'm going to get the right wheel. Tomorrow I'm going to get the freakin' engine. The next time, I'm going to look at the exhaust, and I'm going to look at the gearbox. And I know nothing about cars, but I know that that's probably not the way you do it.
Speaker 1: But also sometimes you'll take your car to the mechanic and you'll go can you look at the engine? And he or she goes, oh my god, we need to do this. It's going to cost you eight grand. Then you take it to another mechanic, same qualification, and they go, no, not at all. You just need a head gasket. It's going to be a grand. Yeah. So not only is there.
Speaker 2: But to test it, you turn on the car, so the whole thing has to work. Testings in the specialist world will fix this broken bit. Let's see if the whole body works.
Speaker 4: You know, yes, yes, and you think exactly, and then you think about like the fact that and this is not a slight on the medical profession or doctors because that's the way that they were trained.
Speaker 1: But I mean, how many people could avoid medication. I'm not saying in all cases, of course, but if, for example, they had less stress, they had more movement, they had better nutrition, they had better sleep, they had a job that they loved. And I know I'm talking idellically everybody, I get that. But rather than saying, well, you're stressed, here, take this. What if you're stressed, here, do some box breathing. Try this, yes, or try try training, because we know that exercise is one of the best treatments for anxiety and stress. We know that, we know it. You know, it affects your nervous system, affects all the hormones stress on you know. And of course there is a real clinical need, of course for certain drugs for certain conditions, of course, But I just feel like all you need to do these days is show up and go oh, I feel like that, and it's boom, here's three prescriptions. And I just don't know that the trajectory we're on that it's really creating a healthy population.
Speaker 2: It's not sustainable long term. And especially what you said about depression anxiety. Look at the Smiles trial with the Professor Police Jacko, who looked at cognant behavioral therapy or counseling for people with anxiety and depression versus putting them on a medi Trainean diet. People that went on their Metiterranean diet got remission rates of twenty five to thirty five percent. People that did the traditional counseling got seven percent. So change your food, change your mental health. And we all know there is nobody on the planet that cannot say after they went for a walk or did a work out that they didn't feel better, no matter what the stress is or after sleep. And I used to always think it was nutrition, exercise, sleep, and now I'm completely the other way. I think it's definitely sleep first, exercise second, and maybe maybe nutrition last. I being exose physiologist and dietitian, I always put nutrition first. But I think no matter who you are or what you do, if you move your body, you feel better. And if you feel better, then you're going to make better choices with your nutrition. Whereas if you feel like crap, well yeah, it's going to be hard to eat well.
Speaker 1: Now, listeners, if you can hear that little noise that's coming from Kate's mic or something. It sounds like a little burp coming through. I'm just telling you everyone, I'm not burping. Neither's Kate. Maybe it's your headset or something that's very funny. But I want to tell you, pursuant to this particular conversation you're honor, that there's another book for you to put on your list if you haven't read it already. It is by an author and researcher called Abigail Shreier. Abigail Shreier who interviewed hundreds of therapists and psychologists and psychiatrists, and the name of the book is Bad Therapy. And basically what they've discovered is that talk therapy for some people as good and for some people makes it worse. So, you know, for some people going and talking to you know, Barry or Sally the psychologist or psychiatrist every Tuesday afternoon at four to open that door on that thing that happened five years ago, and now I'm reliving the trauma and now I'm talking about that again, and now I'm emotional, and now I feel all of these things. Now I'm not throwing it under the bus, but there's they now know that for some people, some people talk therapy is good. Like some people can eat nuts, not everyone can. Some people can drink milk, not everybody can. It's the same thing, but it doesn't work for everybody, and so to assume that. And it's interesting when I started, I'm halfway through it. But when I heard about this book, I heard her on another podcast, I went, ah, that's like me, that's like me. Now I don't me and therapy. I think therapy is great for certain people. And I'm the first to go, oh, I've got issues hundred percent. I've got issues. I've got things I need to sort through. Do I overthink yep? Have I ever got yep? But the way that it works for me is I might talk to somebody when I want to, like a person like you, I might go, hey, I'm dealing with Then you go no, no, no. But for me to go sit in a chair and then on queue just talk about shit. For me, that isn't the protocol. I tend to go a little bit inward. I'm very solution focused. I'm all about, Okay, this is the problem. How do I fix the problem. And then generally, like a day later, or two days later or a week later, I'll emerge like a little worm sticking his head out of the hole, and I'll go, Okay, it's not like, oh, I'm all better now, but I've got some clarity. I've got some clarity that anxiety that was there as subsided. I you know. But it's just interesting that some of the things that we thought were you know, it's like when people go, oh, you need to go and talk to someone. Yeah, maybe not, maybe not.
Speaker 2: I do you know what? I couldn't agree more. I find that spending time with my closest friend is the best therapy I can ever ever have because your good friends don't judge you. They don't make assumptions about who you are, and I'm sure a good therapist doesn't either. But I think the feeling is, this person's going to judge me, this person's going to put me in this box here, this person's going to assume X about me. So either we don't open up, or we open up but we feel like we're being judged, and then maybe we change our story a little bit. And yes, yeah, but I couldn't agree more that I see a lot of people that get a lot of help from it, but I feel like they've made a human connection that it's perhaps not the therapy itself, it's the human connection with another person that they feel gets them and doesn't judge them.
Speaker 1: I've spoken about this a few times before. You might have heard of it, but the University of South Australia published some research I think it was November last year looking at the impact which you've already spoken about, but looking at the impact of exercise on depression and anxiety as a treatment protocol. Yeah, an as an intervention.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: In this particular study, it outpformed all the drugs by far. Now again we're not saying drugs are terrible. We're not saying there is no place for medicine. Not saying that. We're saying that. You know, like when you think, you think about, well, what does a drug do to your body? It changes you buy a chemistry like it changes, right, And what does exercise do? Ah changes you buy a chemistry like what it's It's you're doing something to your body, like you're moving your body or you're putting some external thing in your body. But the reason that you're doing that is you're trying to make your body feel a certain way or produce a certain outcome. And you know, it's like you hug someone, you're changing, you buy a chemistry. Now, here's the interesting thing about that. You go to a fucking you know, a wedding where you're just with you know, and you meet that relative that you really don't like and you've got to give them a hug. Well, the chemicals that you're producing are way different to when you hug your grandma that you fucking love, right, yes, so the same thing produces a different outcome depending on how you feel about that person that you are hugging.
Speaker 2: Right, absolutely creepy, So a ringe of hug hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like obviously this before too, you know. So I'm a motorcyclist. So I've got four bikes and I love bikes, and I every now and then someone will jump on the back and go for a ride. Now, depending on how a person feels about that, they're going to be on the back producing adrenaline and cortisol and or they're fucking going to be in doorphins and dopamine and loving it. So either something bad or something good is happening in their body, depending on how they feel about being on a motorbike with squeeze and nuts up the front taking them along beach road or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I would least literally just had that experience. I went on the back of a boat bike with a girlfriend of mine and she's tiny and rides motorbikes, and she's like, just hang hang on.
Speaker 1: Not too tight.
Speaker 2: Apparently my inner size crushed her because I was hanging on for dear life and I didn't want to grab her around the neck because she's so lit, but I crushed in with my leg. She's like, just relax, just have fun. All I could think about was my bleeding body across the road.
Speaker 3: Just like, nothing fun about that is it is really and that's the relationship that we have or our story about whatever it is.
Speaker 1: It's like because I'm more relaxed on a motorbike than in a car. Oh yeah, I definitely definitely. I don't. I'm if I'm traveling somewhere, ten times, nine of those times will be on a motorbike. Like, I do not drive very much. I typically only drive if I have to or if it's raining, and even then, unless it's heavy rain, I might still take a motorbike, you know.
Speaker 2: So like you're very trusting of other people then because I think that's my fear. I would jump out of an airplane because I could pull my parachute, and I've done that and I quite enjoy that. But getting on a motorbike where some idiots might something stupid on the road.
Speaker 1: I don't trust them. Yeah, I don't blame you. I don't blame you. Hey, I just I'm looking at the time. We've got to be quick. I want to circle back to one thing that you said, because I feel like some people might go, is that true? You said that women are more efficient? Did you say it fat burning than men fat? Yes? Okay, Then my question is why do women typically not always, of course everyone, but typically why do women have a higher body fat percentage?
Speaker 2: So they can use it? You can use it, so that body fat there is there to make sure that you can ovulate and that you can carry a baby, and it's there to be used. So how much of it do we need? Well, not as much as seventy percent of the population, but we need it, and it's really critical. We know we can't feel pregnant without it, that if your body weighs too though, you will not fall pregnant. That we know that fat actually produces chemicals as well and hormone, so we need certain levels of fat, and that fat plays a metabolic role, which for years we thought it didn't. We thought it was just a storage of energy that did nothing, and now we know it's a metabolic tissue. So it definitely plays a role. And I certainly have seen rat in my studies where they talk about fat storage and actually putting a say a stone in a backpack of a rat or like a backpack over rat and getting them to exercise and then taking it away, and it's the pull of gravity from the weight that changes their body weight and their appetite. So they eat up to that extra weight because of the pull of gravity. So there's something about fat cells that regulates fat cells. So that's what that study was all about. It was just saying that it's not just gravity, it's also fat cells controlling our weight, not lean muscle cells. That's why when people lose weight on say something like ozen pic they lose is it really really quickly, or maybe they lose it in fat dieting or some other way, they tend to regain the fat weight first, because the fat weight has a some sort of regulator around it and then you regain the lean body mass. But most people start dieting again before they gain the lean body mass, so then they put on more and more fat, and that's why you're Your dieting ends up in people becoming more and more higher percentage of body fat. Whereas, if in fact you weighted, your lean body mass would come back and then your metabolic rate would go up again and then you could get rid of more body fat and it would be more successful. So don't quit too early is really the key.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. So when you lose weight quickly, everyone you lose what you're losing. When you lose let's say you're I hate this, you know number thing, But let's just say you eighty kilos and you'd like to be sixty, right, and I'm not. We're more concerned with body composition, how you're put together, rather than a number on the scales. But let's just say so the quicker that you lose that twenty kilos. So if you lose two or three kilos a week, which is a lot if you only weigh eighty, it's too much you're losing in this order. You're losing water, muscle fat in that order, and then when you regain it, which most people will, especially with rapid weight loss, what you regain it water fat, muscle last, and so as Kate said, you might end up back at eighty kilos, but with respect, now you're fatter, So now you've got a higher body fat percentage unless lean tissue or muscle, and you're back at the same weight. So it is that what's your rough guide. My guide is about one percent of body weight is not a bad rate per week. So if someone weighed ninety kilos to lose like point nine or sixty kilos point six a week or one hundred and twenty one point two, do you have a rough weight loss guide that's kind of works for you?
Speaker 2: Really really interesting point. I love that analogy and I think that's a nice sustainable way to do it. But with human beings and their interactions with food, and they're three hundred thoughts a day, I've seen the most success with people getting off as much as they can whilst they're motivated, but instilling good behaviors along the way, which include taking up exercise if they don't exercise. So I tend to find the best outcomes so when they can get a block of weight off and then tell them to stop and just live at that new weight for three months, six months a year, get comfortable at that new weight, then try and lose your next block of weight. So that's why I've seen the biggest success.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's interesting, So kind of not go nuts, but kind of go nuts.
Speaker 2: And then because your motivation only lasts a short period of time, so use it. Why it's there, and then you feel good. Right, once you've hit a particular weight, you feel good. And when you feel good, you look after yourself. So don't go too long that you start to regain weight and you feel crappy again. So whilst you're feeling good, relax, hold that weight and then have another crackerdote again. So do it in blocks.
Speaker 1: Is that now, I'm not questioning that. Is there any research, Like I know you do all your own research and you're constantly working with people. Is there actually any research on that particular protocol.
Speaker 2: I haven't looked really deeply into that. It is my anecdotal. Yeah, I've seen ten thousand people lose weight, and I think the ones that are most successful when they've lost a big block, right, their weight goes back up, but it doesn't go back up to where it started. And then they have another go and they lose a little bit more. They take a break, so they could be within you know, lose ten kilos in six months, and then they might put on one or two kilo and then they might go well next year, my goal is to lose another four kilos. So they lose another four kilos, they put on one or two kilos, there's still twelve kilos down from where they started. Don't check my math set, but you know, so you progressively get there. But I think when the motivation's high, make the changes, because if you do not make the changes, then you may, particularly with women, during a cycle, your weight can change by two to three kilos. I know that mine does. So all your motivations are lost in that twenty eight days as your weight just cycles through holding more water than those sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, we're going to do it. You and I are going to do a show on motivation one day. The other thing, too, though, is over the long term, we need our behavior and our habits to outlast our motivation. Otherwise we're going to spend the next thirty years stopping and starting stuff. Right, So eventually we need to get to the point where we've created a new normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a sustainable way. Like if you're going to say I'm giving out chocolate forever, I'll just never blink at chocolate again. Well, is that actually going to work? Make yourself a rule, have two pieces of chocolate whenever you want a piece of chocolate. Or I have a rule with chips. I think I've talked about this. I'm having hot chips. I'll have ten hot chips. I'm gonna have ten hot chips whenever i want ten hot chips. I could have ten hot chips every day, but I'm only going to have ten's.
Speaker 1: Yea, that's you know. Some people are like, fuck your ten chip rules and I had one hundred. Hey Kate, how can people find you and follow you and connect with you and learn more about befit Food and all the things that you do.
Speaker 2: The Beefit Food Australia Instagram or my kates save Instagrams. You know's got a bit of stuff there. My LinkedIn is probably where I'm most active, so old, so boring that I love LinkedIn, so probably there.
Speaker 1: Perfect Well, I appreciate you, thanks so much for coming to play on the You project. I know you had a very busy day and I only rang you a few hours ago in the middle of your mayhem, and you went, oh, I'm filming this and I'm doing that, and I'm talking to this group and I'm but yeah, So thank you so much. I appreciate you taking the time my pleasure. Chat soon, Thanks Kate. We'll say goodbye a fair but thanks for now.