Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, February twenty, twenty twenty six. The Royal Family's Andrew problem just got a whole lot worse. British police arrested Andrew Mountbatten Windsor overnight as part of their investigation into possible misconduct in public offers. Mount Baton Windsor was a British trade envoy. At the same time he was associating with the American financier and pedophile Jeffrey Epstein. Documents released by the US Department of Justice show Andrew and his former wife Sarah Ferguson inviting Epstein to Royal palaces, helping grow his network of powerful people, and, in Ferguson's case, asking him for jobs and money, and even declaring she loved him. The files also show Andrew sending Epstein official UK documents derived from his work as a trade ambassador. Mount Baton Windsor has always denied any wrongdoing, but paid millions in an out of court settlement to Virginia Dufrey, a woman who alleged she was trafficked by Epstein and his girlfriend gilln Maxwell. Two men, including the then Duke of York Andrew was detained in custody while police searched properties in Berkshire and Norfolk, including on the King's Sandringham estate. That story is developing fast and you can read the latest right now at the Australian dot com dot a U. Iran's network of terror spreads all over the world, from Hesbalah and Hamas to Australia, where the regimes agents of influence intimidate Iranian refugees and fan the flames of anti Semitism. As Donald Trump readies his attack fleet for a strike on Tehran, Chief International correspondent Cameron Stewart joins US to step through Iran's options from here and the Pentagon's battle plan. That's today's story.
Speaker 2: Well, Lauran's supreme leader is throwing threats around as nuclear talks with the US resume.
Speaker 1: US is surging firepower to the Middle East as President Trump pressures Iran.
Speaker 2: You know, we have a tremendous force going there, just like we did in Venezuela, even bigger.
Speaker 1: Cameron Stewart is The Australian's Chief International correspondent, Cameron The United States is assembling an incredible armata in the Middle East, the biggest force we've seen there in more than two decades. What is about to happen, Claire?
Speaker 2: Donald Trump is giving every single sign at the moment that he intends to have a military strike against Iran. His advisors maintained that he hasn't decided, and maybe that is true. However, he has delivered, as you say, more warplanes to the region than any time since the Goal War. The second carrier task forced, the carrier Gerald Ford, will ripe region on the weekends, which will give the US enough firepower if it wants not just to strike Iran as they did last June when they hit the nuclear facilities in Iran, but it actually strike and continue a sustained campaign against Iran for several weeks. And so that is the AMAA that Donald Trump has assembled in the region. At the moment, the official line from the White House is thinking about using it, but I think it's increasingly likely he will use it.
Speaker 3: The President has always been very clear though, with respect to Iran or any country around the world, diplomacy is always his first option, and Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump. And with this administration.
Speaker 1: The United States has got a lot of problems with Iran, including that it funds terror proxies in the region, Hamas, Hezbollah, and the Hoofies. It also doesn't like Iran's nuclear program, and Donald Trump most recently warned Iranian leaders that if they crack down on their own people, he might intervene militarily. That didn't happen when Iran appeared to be massacring tens of thousands of its own people. So which of those three problems is actually causing this escalation right now?
Speaker 2: Cam Well, at the heart of it, of course, going back, Iran has been the bogie of the United States even since the Iranian Revolution in nineteen seventy nine. Of course the famous hostage crisis that was around that time as well, and US presidents would love to have seen the Iranian regime for many times over, and I think Donald Trump sees an opportunity here to perhaps execute that actual aim in an accidental sense really, because of course we have the Iranian regime rise up against the protesters who were in the streets protesting about economic hardship. They killed at least six thousand of them. Donald Trump promised that help was on the way MARKA would do something about.
Speaker 1: It, keep protesting, take your institutions if classible, and save the name of the killers and the abuses miss helpers.
Speaker 2: On a sway, he didn't. But the delayed reaction now is that he's transformed that into threatening Iran on several fronts. He wants Iran to end its in returns of uranium, which effectively would mean it's abandoning its long held desire for a nuclear weapon program. And he also wants Iran to curtail the size and the range of its ballistic missile project and as well as that, he wants Iran to stop financially assisting its terror proxies in the region that includes Hesbala, Amas and the Hoofy rebels. Now, they're the three things that Donald Trump wants and that's a big ask for Iran. And at the moment, what we've seen is a series of negotiations where the Iranians are doing what the Iranians always do, and that's spin it out delay. So we've made some progress, very creamental, let's come back in a few weeks. They want to try and make it slow process that doesn't lead to a military strike. Donald Trump as we know famously in patients, doesn't want to wait around, and so his great question is does he think he's going to get the diplomatic gapdome he wants without striking around, or does he have to go in there and naturally launch military strikes.
Speaker 1: For more than a decade now, Donald Trump's been criticizing the deal that America previously negotiated with Iran to try and limit all of these things. That was Barack Obama's twenty fifteen agreement, which saw Iran agree to reduce its uranium in Richmond and so on. You can argue about whether they actually did anything there and allow inspectors in. In return, they got relief from sanctions and they got access to oil and food. Basically, when you were going through that list of things that Trump wants Iran to do, now, I really wonder cam what would they be getting out of it?
Speaker 2: Well, that's right. I think that them to deliver all Trump's demands would effectively mean that they're surrendering anyway before they even have any military conflict. I think that's very unlikely. I think that Trump has also has pivoted more to focus on the nuclear side of things. I think if Trump got a promise from Iran to stop its enrichment procedures, to effectively give up its aim, it's desire for a nuclear weapon. I think he will consider that a great victory. I don't think he would pursue the other issues of ballistic missiles or support for the Axis of Evil, if you like, because I think Iran is not going to go there without a military conflict. It's simply not going to go there in these diplomatic talks. But they're probably not even going to go to the nuclear issue in these diplomatic talks because, as I say, they are stringing it along and not giving any firm commitments whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, RAN's worldview is really shaped by hatred of Israel and hatred of the United States. They feel that they are under potential attack, and that's their justification for kind of arming the reas to fight off the two Great Satans. They still have a pretty sizable missile arsenal, as you said, they fight a lot of them at Israel last year and still have some left. So what's their capacity to fight back if this does become a hot war camp.
Speaker 2: Well, the listeners of the Supreme Leader are Tayler harmony. They've real a huge capacity. They're going to sink American warships and they're going too shame the Great Satan Militarily, That of course is not going to happen, But you're right, Bran does have some posent weapons still. It still has long range blistic missiles cler that can hit Israel. It has short range missiles they can hit US fources stationed in the region, in Syria, Iraq, in neighboring countries. So the concern here from the Israeli side is that there will be a barrage of long range missiles fired at Israel in such a conflict. Can they shoot them down or would they actually get into Israel and cause major damage. The American concern is their troops in the region, and they got anti missile systems to shoot them down effectively. That's what Trump has been bringing into the region. He's bringing in missile defense systems to shoot down Iranian ballistic missiles. That's why it's taken so long for any conflict to actually erupt. I mean, Trump was very tempted, I think, to strike it Iran at the time that the protesters were being killed by the regime, but he just couldn't because he didn't have enough protective military equipment in the region to guarantee the safety of those US troops, and Israel in fact ask him to delay it as well because Israel was concerned about their vulnerability as well. So, look, Iran does have weapons. It can be dangerous. However, it must be said clear that they were very impotent last time when they struck back or tried to strive back in June last year, when Israel and the US had a tandem attack on the nuclear facilities in Iran, those Iranian missiles were shot down and they were very impotent. So I do think Iran the regime is greatly exaggerating the deadly nature of its ability to strive back. That doesn't mean they're not dangerous, but I don't think they have a huge ability to do great destruction.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump has said it might be necessary for the United States to use two military bases US bases that are controlled by the United Kingdom. That's Diego Garcia, which is on a UK controlled island in the Indian Ocean, and another base that's called Fairford that's actually in the United Kingdom. That's got kind of World War vibes doesn't it cam if the UK is hosting these attacks.
Speaker 2: Look, I think the UK would be supportive in an indirect way. I think most of the Western allies would be reasonably supportive of Donald Trump taking some form of action against Iran. Of course, it really depends what that action is. Clear. If it was actually targeting the Iranian military and political leaders, in other words, really going for raising change as opposed to giving around just a black eye militarily, then that might be a little bit more questionable that support. But look, I think at the moment the countries that are really learned about what the US might be doing are actually the Gulf States. They are nervous because they don't like the Iranian regime. They're womanly Sunni, not shear as iran Is, but they do fear that what will replace the regime if it's knocked off. They're more concerned about the vacuum and the uncertainty that that could create, rather than the Iranian regimes surviving intact. So it's interesting that those countries are very wary of the US going ahead, and they've cautioned Donald Trump against it.
Speaker 1: Were at what feels like a very dangerous point for the whole world right now. Cam and conflict in the Middle East of course has been going on for thousands of years. But can we date this back to her master's attack on Israel in October twenty twenty three? You know, is that what has really precipitated these massive escalation intensions that now see two totally different countries about to have a war.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, I mean it looks certainly there were a huge tensions between the US and Iran and Israel and Iran prior to that, you know, with that targeted assassinations, muscled operations against Iran. But the real trigger was the October seven massacre of Israelis and the subsequent war in Gaza. Iran made some very bad calculations. They asked Hezbolah to start attacking Israel from their Lebanese stronghold. That ultimately resulted in Israel crushing Hezbela. Obviously, Israel has largely crushed a mass Israel has struck out the Houthi Rebels, another Iranian backed oxy force in Yemen. Iran's proxies are being badly weakened. And then Iran itself of course was humiliated frankly with their impotent response through the US and Israeli attack on the nuclear sides and the Israeli attack in the previous year in twenty twenty four. So Iran has made a series of miscalculations ever since October seven, twenty twenty three, which have greatly weakened its position in the region, and that, frankly is why Donald Trump and the Israelis seeing an opportunity, historic opportunity in their eyes, to actually remove this regime at a time when it's never been weaker since nineteen seventy nine when it took power.
Speaker 1: The Iranian regime is of course very powerful within Iran itself. It's got a lot of influence outside the country, even as far as Australia. The Australian has been doing a lot of reporting about what life is like for the diaspora Iranians who've come here over the past decades, who've fled the regime and who are now under surveillance and really under the thum of Iran even though they are thousands of kilometers away. On Thursday, The Australian revealed that the daughter of a sanctioned Iranian military leader, someone who's very to the top, has been living in Australia for years and studying for health qualifications that I think has sent a chill through the diaspora community here. What's your sense of how long Iran's reach really is and what they could do in Australia if they wanted to.
Speaker 2: Iran's reach is quite surprising, I think when you look at it, I mean, it is a long way from Australia, and yet they have tentacles in Australia. Iran has people in Australia who are sympathetic to the regime who have been tasked to keep an eye on Iranian Australians here. They're Iranians in Australia who do not like the regime. They've effectively got their own spy FORRSE if you like here in Australia. And we've seen that Iran has pushed things in Australia so much so. Today's has accused Iran of organizing anti Semitic attacks on Jewish targets. We had the attack on the Israeli do Synagogue in Melbourne and in late twenty twenty four and also int of Sydney restaurant.
Speaker 1: Police have declared a fire bombing attack on the israel synagogue in Melbourne Southeast last week as a likely terrorist incident.
Speaker 2: Police art tonight asking for your help after a cafe in Bondai went up in flames early this morning and ACO is looking into other possible attacks. So that just shows clear what a reach the Iranian regime has and how much they care about exporting their kind of Islam to other countries and putting down dissidents who opposed their regime and who they see as a threat, even though they are clearly across the other side of the world. So Iran has been very active and I think surprisingly active. I think it's really called a lot of people by surprise how active they have been in distant countries like Australia.
Speaker 1: We've talked before on the Front Cam about how if the Iranian regime fell and left a vacuum in Iran itself, that that would create a whole set of new problems and concerns.
Speaker 2: You know, who would.
Speaker 1: Fill the void if that regime fell. There would also be networks of people all around the world who would be unmoored from that powerful regime. Here in Australia, the people who allegedly are intimidating other Iranians what does that mean for Australia's own domestic security picture.
Speaker 2: Well, that's right, there would be a lot of people who will suddenly be wondering who their masters are. Of Course, the real problem here, Claire, as you alluded to, is that there is no democratic opposition as such within Iran. Anyone who potentially would be palatable to the West to take over it in Iran is simply not in Iran. And so to trouble is that a regiing falls, who's going to replace it? One presumes it would be someone perhaps a commander from the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, but who of course would have been sympathetic to the regime at this minute. So this is the problem, and this is what the Americans don't know. This is why some people are very cautious about the match they're trying to topple the regime, because they simply don't know what comes next to It's not like there's a neat fit to put in there to replace the Eye Tollers. There really isn't, And no matter what anyone said, it would be a period of complete chaos and transition where no one really knew what was happening. In Iran. That's a risk which the Americans and Donald Trump will be taking if they do try and actually take out the regime.
Speaker 1: Cameron Stewart, thank you very much, pleasure. Cameron Stewart is The Australian's chief international correspondent. You can check out all our unrivaled journalism from around the world right now at the Australian dot com dot au