Speaker 1: I got a team. Welcome to the new project. Patrick's here, Tip's here, You're here. So that's all of us, so we can get underway. I will mention that Patrick and Tiff for being inappropriate, as is often the case, before we press the go button. If Patrick tell people about the video that we watched, because we can't play it, but we can direct. Firstly, Hello, Patrick, tell people about that video. They should go and watch.
Speaker 2: Les Patterson talking about getting his wife a new dog is probably the best way of explaining it is absolutely hilarious. But if you do a Google search Les Patterson new dog, but don't do it right now because we've got to show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't do it now. I actually I've got it right here. Yeah. Yeah, schnauz up dog. Yeah, that's it. Hi, tiv Hi, what were you just guzzling something?
Speaker 3: I was just guzzling a big drink of water.
Speaker 1: Has your dodgy body holding up? I know this is off topic, but you haven't been it. You haven't been at the gym. You haven't been where I trained for bloody six months? How are your broken bits?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: Do you know what it feels?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: On topic?
Speaker 4: Because today I was at the gym this morning, and I'm thinking about it a lot, and I'm just trying to figure it out, and I think that I think it's perimenopause. I think I just I can't recover from staff. The injuries are okay, but my inability to train and recover and.
Speaker 3: It's really yeah, it's really good. It's really a great time.
Speaker 1: I didn't expect that answer. Do you reckon? Because this is not a loaded question. I do not know the answer. But do you think that because you've trained so hard and you've been so lean for so long, and we know that women generally have a pound for pound have a high level of body for health like for health reasons, but you've been very do you reckon? That's I don't know there's a correlation, there, a relationship or none at all.
Speaker 4: It's one of the reasons that I've been doing and throwing is to oh is this hormonal? Is this my age? Is this where I'm at? Or is this long term? Doing too much? So I've changed a lot of things or you know, I've also just the whole ADHD symptom type things are really ramping.
Speaker 3: For me right now.
Speaker 4: So it's been a real but I don't know this the last few weeks, I've just gone, Yeah, I think this is hormonal and whether it the other how much the other stuff layers in. I'm sure it does, but I definitely don't feel the same on a lot of levels as I have and that's kind of felt that way for at least eighteen months to a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's well, will be one. I hope that as much as it can sort out, sorts out, or you sort it out soon. But I'm interested to see, you know, how you go with that and what you discover. Patrick James Bonello, how's your health? Son? Are you still? We know you do your tai chi and we know you're out in the wilderness with your dog, your schnouter. How's your training and your body and your health?
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't say anything, but I know I've gone back to the gym, which has been fantastic, although I wasn't there this morning. I've only done two weeks, but you know I can my body. I don't want to be I don't want to obsess about body weight, but I've actually in two weeks time, I've dropped almost a belt size, but I haven't dropped any body weight, so I'm equating that to my muscles getting back into gear. It's freaky. I'm exactly the same weight, but I've dropped a notch on my belt and that's the only thing I can put it down. And that's just you know, four days a week of doing weights, just getting in there and pumping out the weights, very light weights to start with start with, because I had a very ongoing tennis elbow injury that just wouldn't good. It took months and months and months. So I'm very mindful of not pushing hard. But that kind of blew my mind. That's is that even possible in two weeks to have that sort of.
Speaker 1: React well, I mean, especially when you haven't been in the gym for a long time, your body's very responsive, you know, and like you have a training background. You spend a lot a lot of time training at my gym, like a long time, and Tif's got a big training background, and I think once you've been not I mean, you're in shape anyway, you're very in shape, but you're probably not in lifting heavy shit shape, so to speak.
Speaker 2: And then you go back.
Speaker 1: And your body goes like there is a thing called muscle memory, which is a little bit of bro science. But the truth is that you have if you have a training background. Let's say we're I had Patrick that had never lifted await and Patrick that had lifted weights a lot, but not for a while. The one that's lifted weights but not for a while, that one's going to adapt much quicker. Your body's going to get back. It's going to make more progress in less time, is the bottom line. But yeah, that makes sense. So I mean, I just think it's I just think everyone who can should be doing strength training when they're forty or older forty five at the latest. But and that doesn't mean a gym necessarily, or dumbells or bar bells necessarily. There's a lot of options to get strong. I got We'll get on topic in a moment, but I want to know. I want to ask you a question that Kelly, who Tiff coaches, who is a big listener to TIFF's show and this show. Kelly was on the show this week Patrick, who's a listener, and she asked me fifteen questions, and one of the questions that she asked was if you could only do one specific exercise or type of exercise and you couldn't do anything else, And she's like, for the rest of your life, what would it be like, or like, what would be the best thing for overall whatever? And what would your answer be, Patrick? If you could only do you know a particular if we're talking not about strolling around suburbia with the dog, but in terms of like a kind of training or workout, you can only do one thing in this hypothetical reality, Well.
Speaker 2: Do you consider tie chee your workout?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: Well it'd have to be tai chie, no question, because it has a longevity to it that means you there are no barriers to it. You know, there's tie chies specifically for people with arthritis, there's taie chief for people just sitting in chairs. So you can do tie cheat at any stage in your life and at any part of your life, and the ongoing health benefits because it slows the heart rate. You know. I always find this hilarious. I'll be in the middle of a ninety minute session of doing tai chie with my students and I'll get pinged by my watch saying it's time to start moving and exercise, and I've already done forty five minutes. Because you're not taxing the heart. But we know there are amazing health benefits from balance, coordination, core stability that movement. But it's passive, it's really slow movement, but there's strength and moving slow. And the best way to explain it is if you were throwing a kick or a part if if you think about it, you're throwing a kick, but if you do it in slow motion and you slow down, what would be a half second kick down to five seconds? Think about what you're having to engage in terms of your core muscles to be able to do that, and the ongoing benefit of having better core and better balance. So no, it would be unquestionably it would have to be tie.
Speaker 1: Chi perfect good answer, good answer, Tiffany and cook if you could, and of course this is never going to happen, but if if you just had to do one thing which was most beneficial for you, best all round thing that you might.
Speaker 4: Do, I'm torn because I've got a big love for strength now, but I think there's a huge argument still for boxing, Like I love watching people aging get into boxing and the cognitive benefits, the emotional benefits, there's there's just so many benefits and it's easy to engage and you can do it at a high level, you can reach peak heart rate, or you can do it slow. You can do shadow boxing and technique. You get connection with people, you develop, you develop relationships, and there's just so many dynamics you can't like. You can't get sick of it. I'm a very you like I can get sick of things easy. But there's always something different to work. And you can work on footwork, you can work on strategy, you can work on flow, you can work on fitness, you can work on power and speed.
Speaker 1: Yeah I love it, I would say, but you're excluding the getting punched in the face.
Speaker 2: Yeah you don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't necessary And that's the thing is you can. You can do sparring if you want, but you don't have to.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 4: There's a heaps of things you can do in box. Look, I just started with two clients that are over seventy. They are what They've never done anything like it in their lives, and it's so beautiful to see.
Speaker 2: Mm you Craig.
Speaker 3: Craig's taking up surfing. I heard the answer to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I'm not. But but I thought from an exercise, you know, exose physiology perspective. I was thinking. And actually, both of your and I'm not just saying this, both of your answers are really good, right, And I think also which I didn't, I didn't factor in as much, although we did talk about a bit, but the sociology point of view where you're connecting with other humans and all of that, which is also unbelievably good for your immune system and cellular health and brain function and dopamine and all that. Yeah, So I picked surfing the reason that I did. Why if you think about surfing, as you were talking about Patrick, so balance coordinations, spatial awareness, upper body strength, lower body strength, core strength, muscular endurance, like you've got to go from lying on your board to jump up on your board, so you need power, a bit of explosiveness, and unbelievable cardiovascular fitness. Yeah. So I just think from a like when we talk about fitness, a lot of people would probably think, can can she run three kilometers? She can, therefore she's fit, which is true, but maybe she can't do three pushups. So it's a kind of a specific kind of a or the dude who can bench press a Hyundai but can't run out of a burning building, right, which was me for much of my life.
Speaker 3: That's the crab.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I wouldn't need crab walk out. Yeah. The Crab's pretty good at most things, but I don't think running distances is one of them. But now we'll get straight onto.
Speaker 2: You say one thing. Sorry, when you talked about you know, we talked about our little passions and it was great to hear Tiff. And then you said, you know, the other good thing is about connecting with people. And I think of my tied sheen. I love connecting with people. But I think when Tiff connects with people, that's a.
Speaker 1: Basically yeah, that's true. It's an ambiguous term.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to add.
Speaker 4: In twenty fourteen, I ran a program, a government funded program for women who had experienced violence, and they were all they came from a clinical psychologists referreding to the program. We did once a week for twelve weeks, just teaching them some boxing in the gym, no contact.
Speaker 3: Obviously.
Speaker 4: I had a lady and she would have been probably in her sixties. And by the third I think the third week, she came in and she looked at me. She said, I haven't had a panic attack for three days. She goes, I have them several times a day, and I blew me away because I used to train every single day and to think that one day a week in an environment like that, learning getting in your body, learning how to use your body, learning how to feel empowered, like it's the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think forget crago as males that we for the most part can walk down the street at night and feel totally safe, and that's not the case for half of the population. And that does my head in a bit.
Speaker 1: Mate, I agree with you broadly. Yeah, sorry, mate, Sorry, I'm very aware of that because in Hampton, where I walk around, and I'm sure a lot of people think I'm like some fucking urban stalker or some fucking covert ninja who's going to steal their telly. But anyway, I'm always aware that when I'm out and I'm walking and I've got on a jacket and fucking army shorts, that I must look to some people terror fine, And if there's a woman walking towards me, I crossed the road, so I intentionally go to the other side of the road so they don't need to walk towards me feeling nervous, even though I know they're safe. They don't know they're safe, so I'm hyper aware of that and I don't I went on a walk. This is how much I think, right, I guess this is you know, my PhD is understanding how others think. Right, this is how much I think about this shit. The other day I went on a walk. I was doing my steps, and I ended up in Sandringham. I just went through all of these backstreets and I came out of a street and ended up walking past a school. I can't tell you a kids are primary school. I can't tell you how uncomfortable I was because I didn't want to be a man walking, and so I walked over the other I'm like, fuck, I don't want to be here, like I don't want to be a guy walking, you know, just that obviously there's no agenda or intention, but I don't want to be. I don't want the kids to feel anything. I don't want the teachers to think anything. So I walked to the other side of the road. So I'm on the other side of the road from the school, intentionally looking straight ahead. I worry that much about how other people might experience the impact of me in whatever way, and I think that for me anyway, it's important, and I realize how I don't of course, I can't realize the way that a woman can realize, but I'm cognizant of it, and I try to be I try to help them be as comfortable as they can.
Speaker 2: You know that's admirable. I actually like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do what I can, Hey, mate, But enough about me and Tiff and you. My list from you just disappeared. I can't find it, so could you host the show please?
Speaker 2: Yesh, you're think, hey, welcome to Do you write lists when you go to the supermarket or do you pop it into your phone and do you a little shopping list on your phone? Because there's a really interesting research into the psychology behind writing a list.
Speaker 1: Well, my mother is the world's most prolific list writer on paper, and I did do it that way. But yeah, I'm in the phone now and I'm not proud of that. But yeah, my to do list is in my phone.
Speaker 2: So I not only write a list on my little post it notes, but I use a fountain pen to do it because I love writing. And I'm really feeling vindicated now because evidently going a bit old school is something that a lot of people do like and sixty eight percent of adults say writing helps them feel organized and in control. And now psychologists are saying that people who stick with handwriting, particularly shopping lists, aren't just clinging to a habit, they have some surprisingly positive traits. So it means you're naturally conscientious and love feeling like you're on top of things. That's one of the top things. Your memory gets a bonus workout. When you write a list. You're protecting your focus from a digital distraction, so easy when you're looking at your phone to then to get distracted by a pin or something else that's happening on your phone. And it also means that you shop with intention and you'll spend less because you're focused on getting those items, you're less likely to be distracted and buying stuff that just happens to be on special. And then there's a tactile engagement and that's always something good. But yeah, I just thought it was really interesting. And even the cognitive offloading lowers your stress. So by putting things onto a piece of paper means you're not having to worry about whether you've forgotten something, and then that way it reduces your stress level and nostalgia is kind of a good thing too, So kind of topping off the list is a nice thing, and in particular as nostalgic as it gets, writing with a fountain pin is it's nice. I get a warm, fuzzy every time I write with my pin. It's nerdy as hell, isn't it? But it's analogue as hell too.
Speaker 1: Do you think that? Do you think that things kind of go in cycles. It's like there's gonna be people going, Oh, I guess what I'm doing. I'm writing with a pen. Other people, you're fucking what, Brian, I'm writing with a pen on a pad. Oh my god. I watched this thing briefly last night. Do you know who Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is Patrick? He wrote tars and uh, I think he wrote Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought he wrote Tarsan as well, Tiff.
Speaker 1: Can you check that name? So I think it's Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, or maybe I got.
Speaker 2: That eggar Rice Burrows. You're quite right, beggar Rice Burrows write Tows and you're right it was the Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So I was watching a thing about him and he wrote his first you know what's funny is this is a dude who wrote Sherlock Holmes, Who's Become? And I think it was like eight ninety and they were talking about his process and they've got all these notes from writing his first book, which became a bestseller, and when it came out, everybody is like, all the critics are like, this as shit, right, this is shit, and it's poorly written and the characters are not well developed in anyway. It became the biggest thing of all time, but they were He wrote his first which became Mega I forget the name of it, in four weeks with a pen in four weeks, so he isolated himself for four weeks and obviously handwritten. It was eight ninety and I was looking at this lady who she's like this historian, and she got this other lady along that I'd never heard of, but a well known British fiction writer, and they were going through the way that it was developed, in the way that he wrote it in all these notes, and I thought, yeah, that's that's just ancient history. Now imagine how quick he could write. But I wondered if maybe writing on paper with a pen taps into a different I don't know created it.
Speaker 2: It does more. Then they're encouraging kids now at school to go back to writing with pens because it activates the brain in a totally different way when you put letters together and then form the words. When you write them, you're forming them in your head as well, and there are definitely health benefits. But you know what the good thing about Athur Conan Doyle is that if he's pen like, if he'd snapped the knieb on his pen, he could have his mustache into the bottle of ink and kept writing. You've got to look up. Everyone now has to jump in and look for a photo of Arthur Conan Doyle because he has the most epic mustache that could also be used as a pen.
Speaker 1: It is world class.
Speaker 2: So I wish I could grow a mustache like that. It's so cool.
Speaker 1: I've been trying to open your document over here, which is I can just keep going, you know, dude, that's all right, all right, you keep going, you keep hosting. I've got it open now.
Speaker 2: But Jacob Space the Final Frontier. This is really interesting. China has been as the first nation in the world to fire a laser at the Moon, which was directly pinpointed one of their satellites that's orbiting the Moon. Now you think, yeah, well, you know that's not much. The Moon's pretty big, big target to go for. Well, it was very specific and in fact, aiming at the Moon is the equivalent I think they were saying the equivalent of hitting a hair from ten kilometers away, right, So if you're trying at laser point and shoot a hair from eight from ten kilometers away, that's the equivalent. So this is pretty epic because they're hoping and there's kind of another space race going on at the moment this time it's kind of China and the US, and there's a lot to be said for, you know, getting back to the Moon, and they're talking this sort of technology will help with autonomous rovers and things like that that then could be remotely controlled if needed, and they're talking about exploring more of the polar ends of the Moon, and China's showing a lot of interest, and of course the Americans are saying they want to go back to the Moon as well. But this is a real first. But that's amazing to be able to do that. That that pin accuracy was pretty pretty epic stuff, and it really highlights how advanced, you know, China is when it comes to, you know, the development of technology, because you know, we saw this will move kids. I don't know, this is a terrible thing to say, but we used to you know, when someone talked about a transistor radio, you'd say Japanese junk and it was a term that got thrown around a lot. And you saw that the Japanese went from being the imitators to the innovators, and China's doing exactly the same things. So China was really good at copying stuff. But now it's taken the next step and it's you know, it's developing and using some of the world's best drones. And in this case you can see you know, space and getting out and exploring space and going back to the moon, and China's really got it and in its sites at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's you're exactly right. I remember when when I was a kid, way before Tiff was a kid, but yeah, we thought the Japanese things were kind of crap, and then they became good. Then they became almost like leading the charge for like well built, but you know price like well priced. And then remember when Korean car cars came outside Hyundai and Kia and all of that, and we're like, they were terrible. I mean, they were just terrible, and people used to joke about Korean cars and now they're amongst the biggest sellers. And the build quality, I mean, I've got one, I've got Hyundai. It's fucking amazing. It's they're incredible, and the same you're right with Chinese. I remember when the first Chinese utes landed here about fifteen years ago, they would tear they're very, very agricultural, and now it's, yeah, it's incredible, it's incredible. Under technology is it's getting cheaper and cheaper and more and more accessible to mate.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing. I was going to talk about this later, but China now says that they've solved the EV battery problem, and they've got parody between filling up a battery and what it would be to fill up a tank of fuel, so effectively, what they're saying is this is kind of ratio they talk about. You know, if you're filling up the tank, how many kilometers can you get on say ten leaders or a leader of fuel. And now the Chinese are saying that they can get the equivalent range from one minute of filling up via an electric vehicle in exactly the same way that it would be one minute of fuel going into your car. They've got parody for the first time ever. This has been kind of a bit of a holy grail of ev tech to be able to fill up a battery in the same amount of time. So five minutes to fill a car five with normal fuel and ice engine and in internal combustion engine, and five minutes to fill an EV in the Chinese record that they've cracked it on that one, which is pretty amazing, So you know, you don't have those long wait times to be able to get that extra five hundred kilometers of distance in just five minutes.
Speaker 1: I saw this thing the other day, this young African American dude. He's like a scientist inventor, like genius young, I don't know how old, but young, like earlier than early twenties, like under twenty five. And he's built, he's built, he's created fuel out of plastic and you'll see the whole thing, right, and this is not a joke and it's not a like And and then he was at this launch where he was putting the fuel that he made from plastic into a prato into a Toyota prato, and all of the comments were like they were either like you're fucking amazing, that's incredible, or get some security and people need to look after this man, protect this man, because it seemed that, you know, there's been a history of people who invented shit that was going to change the world who mysteriously died Patrick.
Speaker 2: Wasn't there an Australian guy years ago that.
Speaker 1: He built a steam engine and engine powered by water. Yeah, yeah, well they could run cars. Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Well the interesting thing is, when you think about it, plastic is a petroleum byproduct. Yes, so if you could convert it back, that makes a lot of sense. I mean, I've got no idea how he did it, but that's that's phenomenal, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh well, we won't be having that discussion. I mean, and you think about like over the years, I think they built I don't know if this is true, but I grew up think of being told this that this guy built a car tire that could do a million miles.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So you know, so all the car manufacturers went fuck that and then bought the rights to that and then put it in a vault somewhere and went, fuck that tie. We're never selling that. Yeah you hear it, You're never selling another pair of ties.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, you hit that stuff all the time. But look, I don't know it would be to solve the world's fuel crisis issue in terms of you know, the kind of pollutants and you know the kind of ongoing you know, the cabals that seem to control the oil prices and all that sort of stuff. That would be pretty amazing, wouldn't It also.
Speaker 1: Pretty unlikely when you think about It's like, and I know this sounds conspiracy theory, and I'm the last conspiracy theorist in the world, but when you think about how much money is made out of oil, how much money is made out of big farmer, Well, if we found really simple cures, or really simple solutions, or really planet friendly, human friendly, immune system friendly cures from or solutions that involved nature that didn't make anyone a lot of money, well, then a lot of industries, a lot of organizations are going broke. So you know, as much as it sounds bad, it's it's you know, it's in like people's sickness is very profitable. So you know, there are people are some organizations are obviously financially incentivized for people to stay sick. Yeah, and that's that's just a fact.
Speaker 2: I remember once being told by somebody. I don't think it was whilst I was in China, but it was related to China. And if you were the person who was the medical person in a village or in a town, and it was your job to be their doctor, you got paid when everybody was healthy, but if they got sick, you stop getting paid. That the mindset being is you're there to keep people healthy, not to you know, have to then rush around and fix them when they don't work. So there's there's a totally different mindset to the Eastern philosophy or that philosophy of being healthy. And it's like, you know, a medical person keeps you healthy, doesn't fix what's already been broken, so don't let it get broken in the first place. I love that mindset that you know we work towards, and I guess you guys are a testament to that. You know, you both tried really hard to keep healthy all your lives, and it's something that you know, I guess I have too. To that to a degree. And so the more that we work towards keeping healthy for as long as we can, I think that's the most important thing.
Speaker 1: Well, I think us, not that us three are better than anyone else, but we're probably unicorns because none of us drink, none of us smoke, none of us do drugs. We're all fun times, do you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Not often?
Speaker 1: But how many glasses of alcohol would you have a year?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 3: Not many? I don't know, but not many.
Speaker 2: I reckon about twelve.
Speaker 3: You know why, because it's messaged in my sleep. Yeah, and sleep's important, and then.
Speaker 1: We can find so if we can find you some booze that makes you sleep, you're going to be all in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can still get deep sleep.
Speaker 2: You about sleep? I did a sleep study this week at home. Go on, Oh no, Well, because I've had issues with my sleeping and so I decided to do a home sleep study. You know, you get your doctor to refer you and then they attach all these games. I'll tell you what. It took me. Twenty minutes. And I'm pretty tech savvy, but I'm looking at the mirror trying to attach the stuff. You know, you shove things up your those and you're putting electrodes on your head and then on your chest and it measures your heart rate you're breathing and all that sort of stuff. It was pretty full on with all that. It was probably the worst night of sleep I've ever had. I can't wait for the results to come in.
Speaker 1: That is such a valid point, like here, let's see how let's see a tip all night sleep. But what we'll do is we'll cover you in all their shit so you can't have a typical night's sleep, and then we'll use the data from that and call that your standard. Well that's fucking ridiculous. Well, you know what you need. You need a team of nurses in there, male or female. You can have blokes and you know, just sitting in chairs with no patching, just watching. That's not creepy at all. And for you they can all be you know, thirty to thirty five and well built. I'm just saying, not that I've ever designed a sleep study, but you're welcome world there.
Speaker 2: It is lounds like you're the blake to speak to now.
Speaker 1: Now, how much more excited are you about that sleep study, yester than what I did?
Speaker 3: Even I sleep happening, I think and you know the.
Speaker 2: Little stickers they use when you're doing an ECG and they stick them onto you all that sort of stuff. They're a bustard to get off what it almost rips because they give you a spare of all of them and they say happens to come off during the night, And that wasn't going to come off during the night, like like I just reckoned. I've got patches of skin that went off with it, like they stick like like nothing else. But I got through the night. Poor Fritz wasn't happy because he kept wanting to cuddle me, and I kept saying, no, don't get near me. You're gonna pull out of wire.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And you've only got about seven chest hairs, so that would have been you would have woke up with about two.
Speaker 3: How do you know how many chest hairs Patrick has?
Speaker 1: I know you licked them all individually. When you open the door and you think I'm going to go one way, I'm like, no, fuck that, I'm running through the door. I'm saying the thing that everybody thinks I'm not going to say. His chest tastes amazing. Oh, it's like strawberries. Patrick, Can you take now? My listeners are going, oh that this explains a lot. Oh the pennies just dropped. Now I get it. Yeah, now I get it right?
Speaker 2: Right? Can we just this go to another topic? Password?
Speaker 1: Can you tell me? Well, I was going to ask, sorry to be I'm actually well, I'm interested in all of it. But I do book a lot of flights. Oh yeah, can you tell me about that?
Speaker 2: So Google just released a little bit of a report. They looked into flight data because obviously a lot of it sits in Google. Now you can actually look up airline flights directly through Google. So what they did was they the whole lot of flight data was gathered over four years, and that's a considerable amount. And then what they did was they looked at when was the best time to buy tickets, what time of the week was it. And interestingly, one of the things that came out of it was if you're going to book a ticket, book it on a Tuesday. And then it looked at when's the cheapest time to fly for whatever reason? Was on a Tuesday? For some for some reason, book a Tuesday. And then things like do you have a layover? Getting a layover can considerably drop the price of your ticket. But the other thing that came up if you, I mean, this was related to a lot of the US flight data. But if you want to buy a domestic flight in the US, twenty one to fifty two days before you depart is the sweet spot between booking the trip, and then with international travel, it was fifty to one hundred and one days before you travel. So I mean fifty days out from going overseas. That seems like a pretty I mean, I booked quite a way in advance if I was going to be booking overseas, So fifty days isn't isn't that much? Really? Is it? It's like a month and a half.
Speaker 1: I think that. I mean, if you look at I think most people would book at least a month or two or three ahead, wouldn't that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm thinking, yeah, generally, I would think that it'd be quite a considerable amount more. But it's interesting to note that there are sweet spot days and times to think about booking flights, and that it can be a considerable amount cheaper if you look at that. So I thought, no, that's not too bad. So tuesdays go for a Tuesday crego. When you're doing it, I'll.
Speaker 1: Tell you I don't know if there's anything in this, but quite a few people that own businesses that I know. In fact, Aaron also who owns the corner store on Hampton Street. I think it's called the Corner Cafe, not far from my joint. He always tells me that Tuesdays are dead. Yeah, He's like, Tuesday's the quietest day, and I think quite a lot of businesses it's that's a good day to go into a business if you want something, because they're not as busy. And I don't know, maybe that's the case with airfares as well. Maybe people just buy a less on that day.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but it's interesting, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wonder there's a project tip in your spare time when you're not researching perimenopause and whatever.
Speaker 3: I've got an it question.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I've been talking.
Speaker 4: About this with a friend this week and we said, let's talk to Patrick about it. The consumption of water per ai prompt.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's actually frightening, and in fact, it's almost enough to make you reconsider whether you should be doing those, particularly now with the video generation. You know, we're all jumping on the bandwagon and The reality is that I think the equivalent of doing a few seconds search is like running a microwave for a whole day in terms of what So if you do a video, so you do an AI prompt and you say generate a Schnauzer.
Speaker 1: Writer, No, I know what you mean. But when you say the equivalent and.
Speaker 2: What energy usage? Yeah, energy usage. That's what they use water to cool all those servers, so it's also consuming water as well. So running a you know, your mic away for a whole day is what it's in terms of power consumption. That's what a single text prompt video AI query is actually using up, which blows your mind.
Speaker 1: You know what we can do? We can ask AI how to solve that problem?
Speaker 2: Oh dear, Actually know what, I think I've misled everybody. A five second AI video uses as much energy as a microwave running for an hour or more. So I really did mislead everybody there. I just want to clarify.
Speaker 1: That sounded good and our audience is very Yeah. No, nobody's fact checking you.
Speaker 2: You could say, oh, I know, but I feel like I need to clarify this. So a study by MIT Technology Review, so then they were looking at how many duels it takes, so basic chatbot reply uses as little as one hundred and fourteen or as much as six thy seven hundred duels. That's between half a second and eight seconds, which is like a standalone microwave. So a standard a standalone microwave, you just three point four million duels. There you go.
Speaker 1: Can you explain to me something which I'm sure is the dumbest question, but fuck, it's me and it's technology. What's the difference between Google and Google Chrome? And if Google crime is better, why the fuck do we have Google?
Speaker 2: Well? Google Chrome is the browser, so it's like Microsoft Edge.
Speaker 1: Isn't Google a browser?
Speaker 2: No, Google's a search engine. Oh yep, yep. So Chrome is the brows in it? Yes you didn't, but you need a browser to browse with.
Speaker 1: What's a browser?
Speaker 2: A browser is the you know what?
Speaker 1: All the other dumb people like me are like, fuck, good question.
Speaker 4: Half but also going I couldn't answer that question either, yep, So.
Speaker 2: To actually do is queer. So if you want to go to a website, you open up a browser. So dubdubdub dot THEU project, project dot com dot au. You've got to type that into a browser. Now the search engine Google sits within that, and you go to the Google website, so Google dot com dot AU or Google Google dot com, and that's where you're typing this search query. So you need the browser to access Google in the first place. But what Google's done with the Chrome browser is you can type directly into the search area where you would normally type in the web address, so the dubdubdub dot whatever. You can also use that as a search string. So I can type into that, you know, how many episodes of the U project has Craig done, and I can type that directly into the top of the browser or into the Google part that appears in the middle of the browser. But the browser is the actual engine, like I guess, the program that you use to surf the internet to go to websites, whereas Google is the search engine that you use to do searches.
Speaker 1: Still confused?
Speaker 2: Okay, carry on, didn't don't you? Sometimes you is good if you want to have an anonymous search me.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're talking about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, somebody told me just because Google tracks all your shit, not that there's anything fucking you know, any government secrets, But I'm like, I don't know that. I want all all my stuff, but anyway, it doesn't matter. I forgot about it. I used Duck duck Go three years ago for about a day and a half and then went fuck it, I'll use Google.
Speaker 2: This sounds cool, but doesn't it Duck duck go don't know? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there used to be there used to be another thing called Okay, so I think this is mister. So you know when we send someone an SMS. Yeah, so we're just sending a message has to be you know, or we send something via WhatsApp, or we send something which is we're sending them another message via a different fucking I don't know app or whatever. Or we send someone something by a signal. You know what signal is.
Speaker 2: It's another app, isn't it. Yeah, signals another app? Like what?
Speaker 1: So signals meant to be encrypted end to end?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So how secure? I mean? And I know this is not technical advice to anyone. This is just Patrick thinking are those things secure secure?
Speaker 2: I think for the most part, the companies that say that they're secured, they they're banking on that. I mean. Signalers come under fire because nefarious people use it as well.
Speaker 3: Isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dealers, Well it's a mainstream app. But I also I think it's.
Speaker 3: Users.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, what.
Speaker 2: Do you mean? They hands up? Who uses signal?
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't even have it, so you can't accuse me. I don't even have it in my phone. But I think I think all good drug dealers use it though, don't they.
Speaker 2: Well that's because it's encrypted end to end and it can't be viewed by a third party. That's the whole idea, and that was always a concern of WhatsApp that when it got purchased by Meta that end to end encryption might be compromised. But they still say that it's end to end encrypted. So anything that you're sending to each other should be encrypted, and so it means it can't be read both third party.
Speaker 1: So a friend of mine who's been on the show a bunch, Russ Jarrett, shout out to Rusty. He sent me a message the other day saying basically he wanted to know something about a motorbike in particular. So he asked me a question about a motorbike. I answered the question about the motorbike. So this is on SMS. Then I started getting ads for that motorbike. Now somebody's reading that fucking message, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you have he's a question for you. So it was just a text conversation, that was it.
Speaker 1: Yep, there was no link. I hadn't done a search because he asked me a specific question to which I it's like saying, you know what's three times nine? And I text back twenty seven, right, So it's like there was nothing. There was no outside link or nothing. But I started getting ads for that motorbike that I sent him. He wanted to basically advice on maybe what bike to look at. Yeah, yeah, ads for it. And I'm like, this makes me nervous that I can't even send a message to a friend. Then somebody or some not somebody, but something is reading in inverted commas those messages.
Speaker 2: Well, text messages by default are not encrypted, so if you send me a text, that's not encrypted, and they can technically be viewed and intercepted by other entities mobile carriers. So if you I mean, there was a suggestion a little while ago that if you had a Facebook app on your phone, if you were running the Facebook app, potentially that could be looking at other things that you're doing. But it would be interesting if you did the same exercise on different phone and you WhatsApp or signal to see whether that came up as well. But text messages are not encrypted, so if you're sending messages via text and you should be sending them to your dearly using normally semess crap.
Speaker 1: I tell you who doesn't have this problem, Mary Harper, because she writes it on a fucking spiral bound pad.
Speaker 2: Fantastic, And you know what, that's the best thing. I hope she uses a fountain pen as well.
Speaker 1: Oh, she actually just plucks a feather out of a chicken every morning and dipped it in ink.
Speaker 2: I annoyed all. I got to tell you this funny story. So there's a dice game that I play that my learnt in Canada. It's a bit like Yatzi, and I quite often play with friends because it's just an easy one to learn and it's a bit of fun. I had my friends sitting upstairs at my place and my pen ran out of ink, and I was so pigheaded that I didn't want to walk downstairs to get another pen that I picked up a quill that was sitting on my shelf and the bottle of ink, and I was mocked for doing that made me even more pigheaded to use a quill and ink to continue the game.
Speaker 1: Well, you might as well get yourself a fucking horse and buggy. You live in the middle of nowhere and just you could be Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, my poor friends, my poor friends. But I choose them and they choose me. So do you go? Hey? Passwords, I started saying earlier, who uses the same password? Do you use the same password for a lot of stuff? Crago No? No? Is that a real no?
Speaker 1: I've been severely fucking reprimanded, chastised and beaten her about the head by Mliss. Yeah, fucking hell. It's like when I say she's bossy, I'm joking. But when it comes to fucking security on the old interwebs.
Speaker 3: Passwords are neurotic awesome. Do one's breaking into anything?
Speaker 1: She's terrifying like, she's like, you can't use that. I'm like, but who's gonna guess Crago one, two three? No one's guessing that.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: A new study by cyber News looked at more than two hundred data breaches in the last twelve months between April twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five, nineteen billion newly exposed passwords, so ninety four percent of them were reused or duplicated, which means and that's sometimes by different users, so people are using the same passwords. So and it's been like the people who wrote the article who did the study were saying, this is a widespread app epidemic of weak password reuse. Only six percent of passwords were unique, only six percent, So it means a really vulnerable to what they call dictionary attacks, so really simple that can be found really easily, and it means that they're out in the wild too. That the problem is if that data breach of nineteen nineteen billion, that's a staggering amount. If you have, in any combination used your email and a password, and then you've used that same password elsewhere, then that's it. You're opening yourself up to potentially being hacked. And once those details are out there, they can't be put back in again. So this is another staggering statistic. The study found that millions of people still use basic passwords that are easy to remember and obviously hackers can guess them. It's thought that fifty six million people use the word password as their password.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Can I tell you when? Did I tell you about when somebody is what is it when they try to black mark somebody sign to ransomware?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. So I got sent this email saying essentially, we've got video of you watching porn and you know, and I'm like, well you don't And they're like, if you don't pay it was ten grand, We're going to send it to all your friends. And I'm like, send it to my friends. See ya.
Speaker 2: You know. The funny thing is I got sent a similar thing, probably from the same person. But I don't have a camera on my computer. So my computer that I use every day, that's my work computer, doesn't have a camera on it.
Speaker 1: Well my excuse is that I'm pull my in front of my computer. That would have been a better thing to say, Patrick, So your excuses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, you know, actually, while we're on the topic of that, there's new ransomware laws in Australia that are coming out in a few well today, I think it's today, the thirtieth, Yeah, today, I know, thirty first from so tomorrow in like our physical time of recording. And what's happening is that now if a company makes a ransomware payment or becomes aware of one, they're legally obliged to report it to the Australian Signals Directorate within seventy two hours. So they have to report it. It's now become compulsory and if they don't then you could copy fine as well from the Signals Directorate. So you have to report if you pay ransomware. And I know of companies firsthand that have paid over a million dollars to ransomware because to a ransom to people trying to ransom them because they were doing production and the production was losing them more than that amount per day, so they paid it. And so this is a company that's very has a big footprint in Australia. So now you have to within seventy two hours. The limitation is that you if you run a business that earns less than three million dollars a year, you don't have to compulsorily report it unless you're running an essential service. So that's the caveat on that. But that's such as coming in tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Well, good to know I won't be paying any ransomware.
Speaker 2: Did I deflect? Really?
Speaker 1: Well, neither will you because you don't have a camera, right, they might go, Yeah, but we've got the audio trick. How can people connect with you? Find you and join in your jazzus size classes?
Speaker 2: For anyone else, that's tichi, But if you want to check out what I do, you could go to websites now, dot com, dot au. I've got to say I had the nicest phone call yesterday, Craigo. Can I indulge myself? You can thank you? Well, not that sort of indulging.
Speaker 1: Just kick a camera off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a phone call from a Project well, an organization called Project Hope. One of the funnest things I've done this year is I do there annual report, which sounds really dry and boring, but I have a lot of fun doing it because they're an amazing organization that rescues horses in distress. Not only do they rescue the horses, then they place the horses with their members, and the members then look after the horse for the life of the animal and report back. So they monitored the health and well being of the animal because sadly, through economic times and lots of mental illness that sort of stuff, there are a lot of abandoned horses in Victoria. So Project Hope amazing, and the vice president contacted me yesterday and she said the annual report, they had two barristers in a solicitor for some reason say that it's the best annual report they've ever seen. So I was just so stated. So it's one of those lovely jobs that I really enjoy when we do graphic work or design work as well as like the website stuff we do. But it's just awesome to work for charity groups, you know, when you can kind of sit back and feel so proud of a job that you've done and feel like you've really connected. And the next thing we're going to do is some videos with one of the legal people who's on their board and talk to them about just you know, laws related to detecting animals that are in distress and trying to assist their members with the things to do because you can't just walk into a property and seize an animal and distress even if it's in a bad way, and you've got to follow certain procedures and all that sort of stuff. But no, it was really fun. It was just such a lovely thing. So, you know, that's the type of stuff that we do. And I reckon. They're the most fun things that I get to do every day, you know, just working with people who are really passionate about what they enjoy doing good.
Speaker 1: That's why we love you, because you've got a big heart.
Speaker 2: Thanks like a racehorse, eh yeah.
Speaker 1: And like we'll just call you the far lap of typeople. We'll say goodbye fair but for the moment. Thank you Patrick, thank you TIV, Thanks guys, guys,