Speaker 1: I'll get at me into you project. It's Tiffany and Cook, It's Patrick James Bonello. It's me, the one in the middle on my screen anyway, the one in the middle, tiff. Where am I on your screen? Middle? Bottom? Top?
Speaker 2: You are the middle child, But I've got to speak of you, so you're real big when you talk.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't like that. I don't like that. Patrick. Where am I on yours? And where's tiff on yours?
Speaker 3: Well, you're at the top and tips at the bottom, so I'm being cuddled in the middle.
Speaker 1: All right. So you've got like a little kind of like a vertical pile of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your big spoon and TIFF's little spoon.
Speaker 2: I have to put it on speak of you otherwise I'm like a little budgery gar with a mirror.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, look at that.
Speaker 3: That's me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, No, I don't like that. I like every like do you know what I do? I have Patrick's notes that he sent through in the middle of my gigantic screen, and then our little faces up the top, all like about the size of a match box.
Speaker 3: So you really don't see us at all.
Speaker 1: Now I can see you clearly, totally can tolerate that can see clearly. Now Lorraine has gone, Thank goodness. Patrick, Let's start with you in what looks like the International Space station where you are look.
Speaker 3: No, well, okay, I'm sitting at my little podcast studio and I've got a fake International space station background. But I really want to kind of focus on a more important thing because our listeners can't see that we're actually sitting in three different locations using zoom. They just didn't see you use a tea towel to blow your nose.
Speaker 1: It's not a tea towel, it's.
Speaker 3: A chemy that you wipe up with.
Speaker 1: No, it's not a chammy. It's a yellow kerchief.
Speaker 3: It looks like a chevy. You just wipe his face with a Chevy.
Speaker 1: Well, now that you mentioned it, that's probably not a bad idea. But I mean, shemys are for wiping things, so I might look into that.
Speaker 3: And then your face would look a lot cleaner. Sorry, that started off well, didn't it.
Speaker 1: I just I was praising you. I was telling everyone. I was telling you three before we went live that on the International Banello scale of how good people can be, you're the high watermark. And then you shit care me straight out of the gate on my own fucking show.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to clarify that you weren't using you get your voice a couple of octaves lower as nuts. Now Fritz is on his bed warming here I turned the heater on early. Now I'm getting too.
Speaker 1: Oh now he's getting fuck and now he's getting his guns out. Sheep id you hold yourself back. Ah, dear Chip, how are you? Good morning?
Speaker 2: Fabulous harps, thanks fantastic.
Speaker 1: How's how's the household full of animals?
Speaker 2: Oh it's goods, everything's calm, everything's calm.
Speaker 4: Now, happy animals.
Speaker 1: I found a new animal that both of you would want. What is it? It's a it's a a hybrid, so not it's not pretend it's real. I think it's called a doxam anyway, a dog and a fox hybrid.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, I just looked up doxham, and I mustn't have spelled it correctly, because I just got the women. Don't look up doxam. Whatever you do.
Speaker 1: Sure you didn't look up buxham.
Speaker 3: No do o x U M. I don't know, it.
Speaker 1: Might be I am, I don't know. Just look dog, look dog fox hybrid. Oh, this is great, I'll just talk to everyone because those two dumbasses. I guess it's on my instruction, so it's my fault. Have you seen it. I don't think they're.
Speaker 3: Ugly, don't you. Actually they do kind of have a cute little foxy fog.
Speaker 2: God, they look like a bloody hyena hybrid.
Speaker 1: Ah. I thought you two were animal lovers.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but Tiff, you know, has her lovely animal.
Speaker 4: It's got to be cute. It's a little easy stick up, like a little ewok.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So I don't know that i'd want one in the house.
Speaker 3: It looks like the answer to the question no one asked, Well.
Speaker 1: Fucking sorry, Sigmund Freud, what would you like to talk about? Sorry, Leonardo da Vinci sorrow? Sorry Jesus, where would you like to go with the conversation? Come on, Delai Lama, you open the batting.
Speaker 3: You know I've got a connection to the deal alarm. And not only have I been in the same room with the Delai Lama, I was born on the same day.
Speaker 1: You and I were in the same room at the same time with him, Damas, how's your memory?
Speaker 3: I did say that, I didn't I just conveniently left you out of the equation.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to so Now Central. I'm Patrick Beranello. Episode number I'm not sure. Hey tell do you want to hear Madellai Lama story? Come on, bro, do better.
Speaker 4: This is already my favorite episode.
Speaker 3: Really, we're talking to nobody because everyone's turned off.
Speaker 1: They love this except our listeners are maniacs. They're like, fuck all the information, just talk shit?
Speaker 3: Can I just all about something? All of them this week? I remember how a few weeks ago we offered people a free domain name and like nothing happened, no one took it up. And then and then I got a message from Lovely Magdalena who says that this is her favorite segment of the show. How good is that. She's in Adelaide and and she she is a one of those she does a civil celebrant, so it got chatting to her during the week. But she loves the show, she loves the well.
Speaker 1: Shout out, shout out to Magdalene.
Speaker 3: Magdalena, it is but everyone calls a magde when you get close and personal, you know, once you becomes.
Speaker 1: Someone for seventeen minutes, now it's his bestie. It's pretty much joined at the hip for a state of time. He's so needy everyone, whatever you do, don't send him an email. You'll never fucking get rid of him.
Speaker 3: This is actually very very god oh god, Okay, let's start again.
Speaker 1: Hey everyone, welcome to the You Project. I'm Craig Harper. This is a hard hitting podcast where we explore the human experience.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 3: Patrick, Oh hey Craig, Nice to see you. Hi Tiff, Great to have you on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tiff, gooday, gooday, gooday. All silliness societe. How what is mag to do? So she's a civil celebrate, Yeah, so weddings and funerals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but she's kind of tending towards funerals now, which kind of makes sense because you've got a plan a wedding, what eighteen months in advance, different minds, And also, you know, weddings are on weekends, right and funerals are during the week, So if you want to do it.
Speaker 1: Sure about your rational on that makes sense? What so what are you saying like it's much more convenient for people to die is less planning?
Speaker 3: Well, you've got a pretty ongoing, steady audience, haven't you really when you think about it.
Speaker 1: Oh god, this got this took a dark turn. Let's start again. Everyone, welcome to the you project.
Speaker 3: Look because I would Okay, now I have in my will a very clear I do not want a funeral. I've got two and a half grand at the local pub, and I'm inviting all my friends me not included, of course. Maybe in an ashtray.
Speaker 1: I should just put you in a weekend at Bernie's style outfit and fucking prop you in the corner.
Speaker 3: Now, my twin brother will probably be there, so I'll just know, just look at him.
Speaker 1: Oh that'll be. That'll freak people out. He should just he should put on a white sheet and just walk in halfway through unannounced. Go what do you all doing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, but if you if you don't want a religious ceremony and you want a celebrant to do a wedding or a funeral or something, it kind of makes sense. Yeah anyway, So magnismine, you mate.
Speaker 1: You and I chatted about this yesterday to forty your thoughts, Like Patrick and I fucking much to both of our annoyance, we kind of agree on this, which is a weird thing. So just put that in the typ diary and that neither of us really want a funeral. I I don't know the idea of people. Yeah, I know the people coming from all over to stand around and go, oh, he was a good bloke when they probably didn't really think that half of them, and then everyone.
Speaker 2: Everybody thinks it. With Patrick, you gotta put on something. Though he's not saying nobody gets anything in safe.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to do that. I just don't want a bunch of people in a church staring at a coffin with what used to be me in it. I'm not there anymore.
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 4: But where are you going to go? When you're not on to the other place.
Speaker 1: I'm going to the next place. I'm just warming up.
Speaker 4: Now you're gonna drop by, and just you know, I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to be watching you like a fucking hawk, and you better do better. You just remember I'm around.
Speaker 3: Don't you pay attention to You?
Speaker 1: Pay attention because you go? Is that you.
Speaker 4: Harps carrying to it at this moment, we'll live with me forever.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 4: I hope I go first, because.
Speaker 1: Because when I go to God, that's what Mary says. I'm not going anywhere when it comes to you, I'm just gonna to look over here.
Speaker 4: That's crapy nowhere about that?
Speaker 5: Sorry, Patrick, So I want to get again. Hey everyone, welcome to the You project, fifth time we've started. So what do your family and friends think about the idea of just boos and chips at the pub but no actual funeral.
Speaker 3: My friends think it's a great idea, but I haven't really articulated it to my family. I've just basically said I don't want a funeral. They tap now, well, now have you? Everyone knows?
Speaker 1: So what will they do with your body? Just pop it in the garden or something, or some food, Just turn you into a bag of fertilizer. That's okay, tips reading something you can tell you.
Speaker 4: I'm deep in thought. I'm deep in thoughts.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking about well, people like yourself and myself. You have to have the conversation, like I'm like, have you let me listen?
Speaker 4: Know what?
Speaker 2: How this party is going to roll out? Because it's not like there's a significant other hanging around in the next room waiting to put it all together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, well that would Melissa would probably have to be the one that would execute my wishes.
Speaker 4: I don't think she's.
Speaker 1: Not a big fan of talking about me dying, So I'll just pop it in a little email and she can open it when I die. I'll go there you go, here you go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yes, I love you again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, it's been great. It's been great. You can have you know, all my Camo shorts and yeah, yeah, you might even get a motorbike. Who knows, I'll have to give you one. You can ride though, I mean you can, Frid well. But what I mean is there are a couple of them a bit big for you.
Speaker 3: You gave away that pinball machine. That's what I would have wanted. You're all pinball?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that is true. I did give that away. What would you like of mind, Patrick?
Speaker 3: Your pinball? Okay, all right, a big framed poster.
Speaker 1: Is there any chance we could talk about tech today? And I know I'm the problem so far?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so this is important because that email that you were going to send, like it's sitting in wherever it's sitting on your computer. What happens if your computer get tacked and ransomware locks you out of that important email to Melissa with instructions of the piss up when you diet.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, I don't know. I guess i'd have to have a plan. B. Yeah, i'd have to. I don't know, but yeah, okay, so tell me what I do.
Speaker 3: Well, because you know how ransomware works, so you probably familiar ish with how ransomware works. So someone hacks into your computer, you click on it an unsuspecting link, and then what the ransomware does. It locks up all the files, It encodes them so you can't access them. Then you get contacted by the nefarious people who have done that, and they extort money from you to unlock those files so you can get access to your data again. And there have been companies that have actually gone bankrupt and have shut down because they didn't want to pay the ransom. Well, they couldn't afford the ransom. So this is really sick. And in Japan now police have now there's two types of ransomware that are very prolific. One is called Faux Boss and one is called eight Base, And now Japanese police are saying they've cracked it. They've they've worked out a way to encrypt that ransomware data, the stuff that's been you know, but that's locked to beredy out and they're giving it away for free, which I thought was kind of a cool thing because you know, if you're a small business or an individual who's been subjected to having all their information and it could just be all your photos and all the words, and imagine all the work you've done for your PhD. Could you imagine devastating that would be. So I just think it's great that the Japanese police have done this. There was a big operation recently where they raided these people who make these ransomware tools, and it looks like they've cracked it. So that's that's kind of good news for people out there. So they're giving it away for free. You can go you can go to their website and there's an English version as well, and you can hopefully use it to decrypt any of the ransomware that might have infected your system.
Speaker 1: I reckon Japan are ahead of the game. They do a lot of good stuff over there. They seem to be they seem to have a good social conscience for everyone as well, like they seem to genuinely care about people, which is nice. So yeah, is is that that's more that's not so much the individual out in suburbia. Is it's more companies and organizations that are going to have that threat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, will not necessarily, No, everybody can be affected by it, that's right. It's so prolific, and it could just be that it's the freckle faced kid who decides to try to infect someone's computer and wants fifty bucks down to you know, the big mega corporation where they're trying to extort twenty million dollars. You know. The problem is these tools, these ransom tools, and now fairly readily available to people who know where to look at them in the dark, deep corners of the Internet. And that's the problem. It's making it easier for people to access this stuff. So I just thought it was a little plus for anybody that might potentially get ransomed.
Speaker 1: I think I told you about this a year or two ago on the show. Somebody sent me an email going, we've got access to whatever. No, we've got Actually it's a video of you being inappropriate while watching it. I'm like that, if you don't send us whatever we're going to I'm like, knock yourself out. Send it out. My friends would love that, would they love it?
Speaker 4: When they sent it to me, I wasn't that impressed.
Speaker 3: Actually, I'm on, but you didn't find the zoom function digitis.
Speaker 6: Ah, is that right, mister ed Hello Wilbur, All right, could you talk about Chinese authorities and how they're using a new tool Patrick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how I just jumped straight out of that.
Speaker 3: Well, it's kind of interesting. We're talking about ransom, we're now talking about malware. Chinese authorities have worked out they can use malware to break into people's phones when you enter We kind of heard about this in the United States when you travel to the United States, where your phone could be seized and they demand that you give them access. And look, I don't know if there's due cause or whatever, but now they're saying, if you go to China, there's a real possibility that even if you don't give them access, they can hack into your phone physically they need to have it. But what this is the kind of a warning for people who are traveling to China. And the concern also is for Chinese nationals. If you happen to be a journalist in China and you say something that's concrete to the state policy, and you know that that could be really concerning as well. So this was in our article on tech Crunch, and they were reporting on a mobile computer company, a company called Lockout, and they were saying that, yeah, this new tool now looks like they can hacken to at least all the Android phones out there. Ones tend to be a little bit harder to break into, and Apple have had some really big kind of fights with you know, large kind of governments that have kind of said to them, well, we're not going to let you access our phones. One of the things we take a lot of pride in is the security on our phones. And that's a real problem because if say someone's accused of doing something nefarious or it might be terrorism related, they may want to get access to their phone data. And you know, Apple's kind of standing by its customers and saying, well, we lock people out. We you know, this is your privacy, and we encrypt the data and even if we could open it, we couldn't see it. So that's the the you know, the the stands that Apple takes. But there has been a big uptake of Apple phones. I thought that was interesting when I was in China that when I first went there in twenty thirteen, nobody had our iPhones at all, and everybody was using Android and mainly Samsung and Huiawei and show me and all that sort of thing. And then next time I was there, maybe five or six years later, I saw a lot more iPhones out there, which was interesting. And Australia has a really high percentage of people on iPhones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just kind of curious. But anyway, so I should know this. But they're all made in China.
Speaker 3: Right, No, not all phones are made in China, the iPhone. That's a really good question. I don't know, Crago, I'm not sure. I know, can you find that out? I know Trump was trying to get them made or maybe assembled in the United States, so maybe some of the cool components and then they're assembled, because that was the big thing with tariffs that you know, there was a bit of a panic for the likes of iPhone, even though it's an American company. Apple is obviously a mega American company, but because they're manufacturing off shore, it means that they were subject to tariffs, and then that was lifted for ninety days, if you remember, right.
Speaker 1: Can I raise a topic that isn't on your list, but I think you'll find it interesting nonetheless, because it intersects your world and mine. So there's a whole lot of I don't know what the word is, but I'm going to say angst it's not the right word. But it's in the ballpark with universities around Australia and around the world at the moment trying to figure out how the fuck to navigate undergrad degrees and postgrad degrees and people and how AI is going to be integrated into the academic process because it is so easy to cheat now, especially with undergrad degrees where you've basically got to do assignments and research projects. Primarily they can't obviously they can't say to students you can't use AI because it's past that point. But they're now trying to figure it, figure it, figure out how to how to do that, what that looks like. And I was talking to my senior supervisor yesterday, Chris, who's you know, a professor, got two PhDs, blah blah blah, And he's actually in the middle of conversations with my university around this at the moment. And one of the challenges is that the people who are very high up in these organizations are generally older and they don't really understand AI. So but then all the people who do have great understanding are not the decision makers. So it's it's going to be interesting moving forward to see how you know, like my PhD is going to be by the time I finished six years of work but foreseeably done the right way, And I put that with an asterisk next to it. Somebody could do all of the work in a PhD in four weeks if they knew what they were doing, depending on the type, Like they couldn't do mine because mine was independent research, right as in people in rooms and all of that. But yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how that unfolds over the next one two five years.
Speaker 3: Yes, because you could do a PhD based on someone else's research, can't you, or the data from research well you care.
Speaker 1: Well, you can do papers. You probably couldn't do an entire PhD, but you can. Like one of my papers is called a systematic review, which is where I look at basically all of the work that's been done in a particular area, in this case, meta accuracy. And I started with sixteen hundred papers or sixteen hundred journal articles, research projects from different people and distilled it to one hundred and sixteen and then created a table out of that, and that's become the core of this one paper. But yeah, there would definitely be a way, depending on the design of your PhD and the field of research, where somebody could cheat and produce the equivalent work of a four or five year journey in a month probably best.
Speaker 3: I think the question for me when I think about this, because I haven't obviously done a PhD, but how much of the work that you did was kind of manual grunt work as opposed to analysis. So say, for example, you took all that data and you said how many articles referenced this phrase. Now you could go through manually and say, oh, yeah, that one did, that one didn't, that one didn't, that one did, But you could also plug it onto AI and it would instantly give you all the articles that reference that phrase. So I'm thinking in terms of writing something down and adding it up and using a calculator. You know, it's just makes life easier. So I think that, and you're right because we're still coming to terms with AI. You know, your six year project maybe could have been done in two years because the grunt work could have been used by AI. You know, there'd be validation and all that sort of thing. But so I'm thinking it's it comes back to what's the Spider Man quote, with great power comes great responsibility.
Speaker 1: I love a good Spider Man reference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I love that. On a side note, you didn't see the video this morning of the guy who went to court, you know, the graffiti guy who did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw him on the news wearing Spider Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But getting back to this, so, you know, so potentially your good, your use of AI could streamline what is a very laborious process. And that's what I was kind of getting to using the tools in the right way one And.
Speaker 1: I think, look, there are like I had to read through hundreds and hundreds of journal articles and you can't get the knowledge. You're like, you actually need to read them. At the very least, you need to do a solid skin which could be a half hour or an hour of a paper if not read it, start to finish, right. But then yeah, there are certainly things where I could say, listen, I want show me some research that supports this idea, some you know, and like he's the idea, Bubba, and then I'll give you a bunch of papers, a bunch of references or quotes, you know, the name of the study the year of the study, the authors of the study, and then I can decide whether or not I want to integrate that into my research, you know. But that's that's a good use, you know. But but there are you know, some students now that are getting AI to actually write their work. Like there will be a homework question and I'll say, you know, do a project on this and that, exploring this particular whatever, and it can AI can produce that, you know, and then they can jump in and manipulate a little bit. So there's a thing called there's a thing called turn it in. I think that's what it's called, where you actually you can put the paper that you wrote, whether or not you wrote it, into this program and it tells you it will give you a turnet in score basically on how much of it is being ripped off directly from other sources. The problem now is AI can write it in a way where the turnet in score comes out like it's completely original from you, despite the fact that it's totally not original. I could have a bit of that wrong. But that's my understanding.
Speaker 3: You have checks and measures, because I know that we've hung out before where you've had to prepare for presentations. So throughout the whole process there are checks and measures along the way, and there is an oral presentation where you really need to be grilled on what your knowledge base is. So I guess the owners is now going to be on the institution's universities to try to come up with ways to make sure that someone like yourself could be through those processes grilled on whatever the topic is. I don't know, but then you've got to have smart people there can understand what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. TIF did you find out?
Speaker 4: Oh thanks for coming back to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you feel a bit?
Speaker 2: I feel like we're all through the forest together and you guys throw a stick and I go chase it, and then you turn and change direction, and I'm like, where are they wait for me?
Speaker 3: I remember, that's the best analogy ever.
Speaker 4: I was just sitting over your wagon.
Speaker 2: My tail of phones and this is the same for Android are made in China and the other ten percent are mostly India and Vietnam.
Speaker 1: The problem is not the problem but the benefits slash problem is that they do a really good job. They're really cost effective, you know. They it's and then to do the same thing in Australia would just they probably or they potentially wouldn't be as good and they would cost two or three times as much and we probably don't have the capacity to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tim is a string mate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, OK, Brian, how are you well? Thanks? Tiff, don't feel free to jump in You're You're an integral part of the conversation with lu you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And also I just want you to know your scene.
Speaker 4: I was just waiting for one of you to take a breath. That's all.
Speaker 3: A while, have you not before?
Speaker 1: I think chatty mcs chatster in the International Space Station's got you and me both covered.
Speaker 3: Wow, hey, you know talking. Just to continue the theme of AI, it's there's real concerns with a lot of news sites that Google's new way of summarizing. So, I don't know if you've noticed. You do a Google search now and it gives you an AI summary first.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now the problem is this a new study. This has come out of the guard in newspaper. It's an exclusive in the Guardian and the study claims that previously sites that were ranked really high can lose up to seventy nine percent of all their traffic because people aren't bothering to go to the site. They're just using the AI overview and they're not drilling down any further. So there's a massive drop in online site traffic purely because people are just going with the summary, because the AI summary is pig good. I mean, I do use it a little bit. I find that sometimes maybe thirty percent of the time, it's inaccurate and I have to look further. But that's problematic, and generally I tend to use it for technical questions. It might be in relation to, say, you know, something I'm doing in some web design and I need some help going through a process. So I've found that that's not always accurate, and I really honestly think it's probably about thirty percent of the stuff can be a bit crap, but this is really causing a lot of concern for those webs sites that rely on that organic search traffic. So there's two types of search. When you I don't want to kind of go into the boring territory, but there's paid advertising where you see little sponsored ad and you can pay to bump up that information or this is what we call organic, and that's really hard earned by creating content that is related for specific topic, and then Google says, oh, yeah, this is really interesting. You know, if I looked up the you project, then your website would be very high in that list because you're the authority when it comes to the you project, because you are the U project. Or if it was role with the punches, you know, TIFF's information would come up there. But if you're just getting an AI overview, you might not bother going to TIFF's website or to your website. You might think, oh, well, that's fine, Craig's the host of the new project. I don't need to find out anything else because that's given me the summary. And this is the worry for people who run their businesses and you want to sell product or they want to service up news services that you sickly going to lose seventy or eighty percent of all your search traffic swings aroundabouts.
Speaker 1: It's good for it's good for the user, maybe that they can get a quick snapshot without having to go down the rabbit hole or but yeah, for the for the people on the other side, not so great. Do you say project or project, project, project? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What did I just say?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You also always say project. I'm like it's not it's not bad, but it's like most people say, Yeah, I wonder why that is.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Now I'm getting self conscious about it. I don't even know that I did it.
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't need to at all. That's I think. It's it's interesting just.
Speaker 3: Thinking also about this. You know, when the AI summary comes up, it pushes everything down. And there's an interesting term used in web design called the first fold, and the first fold refers to the old newspaper term. You know, you read all the paper was folded in half, and you had to fold it to read the rest of it. And that's what's before you scroll on a screen generally obviously it's mainly on a desktop, but before you start scrolling, that's referred to the first fold. Now the AI information is pushing everything down. Then the legitimate results or the other results are pushed further down the screen, and then you've got to scribby scroll further to try to get to them.
Speaker 1: Hey, staying in the AI theme, Yeah, more people are considering AI lovers and we shouldn't judge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you well, I've thought about this a lot, and interestingly, I was having this discussion with my seventeen year old employee about to turn eighteen. He's got a girlfriend having.
Speaker 1: This conversation with my virtual girlfriend. Look, sorry, sorry, boyfriend, Chad Chuck Chuck Chuck the AI boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Now, look, I'm really into minds about this because I love the idea of AI being used, and particularly our local medical clinic has a aged care residence and I've been so excited to get there because they've got a little robot that talks to the residents, and the residents interact with the robot, and as the AI gets to know the residents, it's interact with them and may talk about things that they're more interested in, or gets to know who they are, and it's using these great features. Now, it's an inanimate object that is interactive and it's not a person. But I can see that these people are really getting a lot of value out of this interaction. So would you fall in love with an AI? It's speculative, it's suggested that it's inevitable, like there's a thought process out there that eventually if you build up a rapport or a repertoire or whatever with your chatbot. But I mean I was talking to you know, to Caspa last night, and you know young guy who you know, he's got a girlfriend and is really enamored and it's lovely to see, you know, you have one of your first loves and all that sort of stuff. And of course he couldn't conceive of the concept of having a chatbot that you fall in love with. But I look, you know, we talk about love in different ways. We have friends that we care about and that we love. I love my dog, and I could possibly say that I love my dog more than some people. But what I'm saying is I'm not in love. But you can love or feel a connection in different ways, and it may not be so much romantic, but it could be more empathetic, you know. So I feel that it may be inevitable that as we form these relationships with these online AI entities, that we start to feel a real emotional connection to them. But it opens up a can of worms, because what if Craig dot ai suddenly goes bust and my AI Harper chatbot is suddenly gone forever and I feel like I've lost Craig, you know.
Speaker 1: So that's I think you nailed it. Like I was going to say, I don't think you know, falling in love with is the kind of the hook the article, and maybe some people do, but I think it's Yeah, it's more about an emotional connection or a bond where people feel I don't know, I feel like they have a relationship or a bond or a connection or something that has a level of consciousness and awareness that knows their name, that talks to them, that remembers things about them. So here's my funny little story, right, chat GPT always says something to me like, hey, Craig, what's up? Or Hey, that's a great question, Craig, let me think about it, or hey, Craig, hope you have any all this? And the other day it responded to something and it just said, let me check. I'm like, where's my name? Bro? Like I felt a bit hurt. I felt a little bit like why did you not? Why you're not using my name? And just for one moment, not really hurt, but I just noticed it, and I'm like, I don't like it when it doesn't use my name. I'm like, I may have a relationship with chat JPT. I'm not sure. I'm working through it.
Speaker 3: Heif have you ever noticed how Craig looks at his motorbikes when he's showing them off.
Speaker 1: Never show my motorbikes off.
Speaker 3: He did show off. No, No, you did kind of look at But.
Speaker 2: I know you're asking someone that probably looks at motorbikes the same way, So I'm not I don't see it problem here.
Speaker 3: We can feel a fondness for objects, as we know, got sentimental value. You may not bear to be able to think that it was not there with you, and it could be something that has no intrinsic kind of monetary value, but because you've had it since I've got a pencil case that I had in primary school, still tucked away somewhere, and every now and again I happened across it and open and I think, oh, there's my to be I remember using that to b drawing pictures on.
Speaker 4: A motorbike with a pencil case.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, can I just say, speaking of memories, my screen flashes up news stories in little bubbles. I don't know why you can fix that, Patrick, next time you hear but hul Cogan just died. Now, I know neither of you were probably big wrestling fans. Do you both know who he is? Of course I do, Yeah, yeah, yeah, so that's sad whole Cogan, did you ever watch the w w E, Patrick or Too.
Speaker 3: There was a wrestling program on a Sunday when I was a kid that we used to watch Maria Mulano.
Speaker 1: No, no, dude, no, that.
Speaker 3: Know, No, that's like wrestling thing. Wasn't there with Mury.
Speaker 1: That Yeah, that's true. That was like like sick Championship Wrestling.
Speaker 3: Well that was w W something well different.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're so out of the loop, out of the WWE. But anyway, he passed away sadly. Anyway, none of our listeners care about that harp.
Speaker 3: So here now they left, like the three intros ago.
Speaker 1: Seriously, YouTube prepares crackdown on mass produced and repetitive videos.
Speaker 3: Have you noticed how much shit is on YouTube at the moment? Is there's so much AI slop that is there making me angry? I get rage scrolling when I look at you out, I do, Craig, and you know me, I do tie chie, I get I get wow.
Speaker 1: When you fire up my testicles retreat into my body, I'm like wow.
Speaker 3: In your throat.
Speaker 1: No, it's a goiter, but at that bomb. Hey, everyone, welcome to the you project. I'm Craig Harper, should we start again?
Speaker 6: The hell?
Speaker 1: This is possibly the best and worst episode we've ever done.
Speaker 3: You realize it.
Speaker 1: We're going to get praize and complaints.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Magda, I've turned your favorite segment into the shit a segment.
Speaker 1: Her favorite segment has become the show. Do you know what this is like? It's like that comedian Tiff. You probably know Matt Rife, Yes, yep, And all he does is the crowd work. He doesn't actually do quite often, he doesn't actually do a special where he stands up and tells jokes. He never gets to that bit because he's so good at riffing with the crowd and bullshitting. Patrick take charge please.
Speaker 3: Okay. So the way that people can earn money on YouTube is to get lots and lots of looks at videos that they create. The problem now is that people are creating videos in a matter of minutes using AI and pushing it out as a documentary about civilization hidden underneath the pyramids. And we didn't know that they had fusion reactors, you know, ten thousand years ago. So it's that sort of crap that gets pushed out and unfortunately, if they're clever enough, people click through and then it pushes it up the algorithms, and so this crap basically floats to the surface. And so YouTube is now looking at trying to fine tune its partner program and particularly the monetization policies, because when someone legitimately works really hard, have you ever heard of? Okay, so maybe at five o'clock this morning, I was watching a video on YouTube about the Caspian Sea Monster right now the cure?
Speaker 1: Would you say maybe? Why would you say maybe? Why wouldn't you go? Why would you go a bit? I was up at five, It's what I was doing. Everyone else was sleeping or fucking I was watching a thing on the Caspian Can you look.
Speaker 3: Up the Caspian Sea Monster for us?
Speaker 1: While God, I bet you can't wait. I was out walking around suburbia like a fucking ninja, looking at with all my friends, scaring everyone who had a dog and was out and about.
Speaker 3: Chet Chipet on your phone though, so you chet GPT is always with you, Craig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm never alone. It's kind of like Jesus, but more electronic.
Speaker 3: That's the one. So tell us about the Caspian Sea Monster.
Speaker 2: The Caspian Sea Monster refers to the Soviet made experimental ground effect vehicle known as the KM corbel Macket. This massive Ekreno plan whatever that is, a crenoplane, thank you, was designed to fly just a few meters above the water at high velocity. It was spotted by US spy satellites during the Cold War.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is amazing aircraft which wasn't an aircraft. It wasn't a plane, and it wasn't a boat. It was a hybrid between the two. And I was this amazing YouTube clip and the guy had put so much work into going to Russia to see this a cranoplane, the Caspian Sea Monster. It was quite revolutionary at the time because it flew so low it was invisible to radar, but it was so much faster than a boat or a ship, so it meant that it could have been a way to launch troops and to attack where no one would see them coming effectively. But what I was getting to is the amount of production quality that went into this documentary that I was watching was fantastic and I really found it interesting. I sent it to my nerdy friend Ryan, who's an aerospace engineer and actually worked on something similar. And then when someone throws out some AI generated slop. It kind of makes me get that rage scroll going, because you know, there's good quality stuff on YouTube. So I think this is a bit of a pad on the back to the people at Google to try to clean up and get rid of this mass produce video kind of slot that's out there, and hopefully it will clean up the algorithm and clean up the content so that when someone at five am wants to look at old Russian planes, they get old Russian planes.
Speaker 1: Shout out to that other guy who wants to do that. You know they've already made that. You probably know this better than the mate. But I think there's been at least a couple of movies made which are completely AI, no actors, The script was written by AI, the entire thing. Some of them like very well, I don't know craft that is that the right word. But I wonder if down the track, because already there's a lot of CGI and has been for a while, but I wonder if down the track, you know, like soundtracks are done with AI, scripts are done with AI, there are no actors there are I wonder if that's going to become a thing where people are going to go to cinemas to sit and watch a cinema is going to be a thing. That's another question. Completely AI created experience.
Speaker 3: As long as we know that it's AI, as long as we're put in the picture that way, there's some great creative stuff out there. I don't know if we talked about this on the show the last time we had a segment two weeks ago, but there's a competition going at the moment for people to actually use AI to create artwork, to imagine women in history, to try to shine the spotlight on the influence and the amazing work that's been done over the years. I say it's Marie Curie. Now, if someone isn't an artist or a video producer, they can still use this AI, these AI tools to reimagine or to visualize what that might have been. So I can see that there are positives when someone may be a really good storyteller but doesn't have video editing skills. So it's got a fantastic idea. And I know tif's good at drawing, so you could turn your sketches into an animation sequence, so you could come up with a cartoon series. But you don't animate, but you are good at drawing or I might be good at telling stories, but I'm not good with the other side of it. So again it comes down to how it's being used. Our Netflix is just about to launch a new series where they've used AI exclusively to generate all the special effects. So where they would have used compositing and you know, the normal tools to create explosions or whatever, they've then decided to go down the route of using AI. But they've been very upfront about it, so they're saying, this part of our series is using AI to create these specific effects.
Speaker 1: I wonder what Charlie Chaplin would think. I mean, what was that maybe nineteen fifteen, nineteen ten, fifteen twenty. You remember all those those old black and white silent movies with him doing his own stunts and holding on to the side of a train and climbing a ladder, that leaning against the wall and Mike. It's just in a relatively short time span, it's just become something completely different.
Speaker 3: If you ever get a chance, do a YouTube search on old special effects from black and white films, the clever things that the filmmakers used to do. You know, the first Man on the Moon, Remember the picture of the moon with the rocket ship in its eye. There's a really old, old old film that's out there. I think it might have been French, but there was some amazing optical illusions that we used in the old days to create some amazing effects. It was just clever, really really clever, interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: Can I ask one question that isn't on the list but was on the news and is as we speak, just sitting on a deck chair in my prefrontal cortex waiting to get some attention. You're welcome everyone. That is last night on the news there was a fire on a vert and plane. Yes, ah so that yeah, so tell them so lithium batteries that are just spontaneously or kind of catching a light and they're talking like that. On every plane flight that people go on, there are a bunch of people with these batteries that can catch a light and they're almost impossible to put out once they get a blaze.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're power banks, so they usually through my own batteries. You've probably seen the power I've got a power bank that I travel with. Fantastic because it means that if you're stuck somewhere in your phone, particularly when you travel, you use a lot more GPS and your phone goes flat quickly having a power bank with you. I tend to have it in my backpack. If I go to Melbourne and I'm traveling around, I always take my power bank with me. So power banks are just a collection of batteries that you can charge your phone off or run your devices from, whether it's a laptop or a phone, and people carry with them with them all the time. And I think that the problem with these sorts of stories is and yes, you're right, in fact, the same thing happened, but it caused a major fire on a Chinese or one of the Asian airlines. It wasn't Chinese one of the Asian airlines. And it's subsequently a lot of airlines have now banned these power banks, and you can see that airlines are going to get really nervous about this. And I guess the concern is it's not so much the new ones, it's if you've had an old one, you might have dropped it. That's where these lithium ion batteries, if you ever drop a lithium ion, that can be really problematic. So that's the concern, and you're right, it's very, very very hard to put them out because once they get started. So I don't know what that's going to mean for air travel. I think it's going to make it a little bit difficult, more difficult because airlines are likely to put a ban on being able to use them, which will make things a little bit harder. But that said, a lot of the newer planes have USB ports in your seats, so you can charge directly at your seat anyway. So for the concerns that people have, if you if you're on a long haul trip and you want to watch your laptop or you want to use your laptop or an iPad or something like that, then you know you can now plug into your seat. So I think for most people that I think may not be as necessary as it was. But I think what's going to happen is you're going to get to the airport and have to buy one if you're traveling, because if you're footslogging around Europe and you're going to be out and about for a long time and you don't want your phone to go flat, then you're going to need to have a power bank anyway, and you might end up having to create a whole new market of disposable power banks, because what's going to happen to them? Do you hire them at the airport and then return them or do you just urf them at the end. So it's going to create a whole lot of waste, isn't it.
Speaker 1: H'e upsent just quickly, We've got about two minutes. Also, is it not the same? I don't know, Patrick, but bikes and scooters that have are they the same kinds of batteries? Because we're seeing shit just blow up in people's houses and catch a light.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sadly, I was talking to a friend of mine or a lady that worked with me for a while, and her parents' house burnt down. They had an electric scooter in the garage. It caught five and it burnt down the entire house. And that was just like down the road from where I live.
Speaker 1: You have one of those?
Speaker 3: I do, But when I did my whole new studio revamp, I misplaced the charger, so I don't know what I've done with the charger for it.
Speaker 1: You might have to use your legs and push like the old days, you know, back in the sixties, stand on it and push with your other leg.
Speaker 3: But it's hard because it's got a battery on it. It's heavy, and it has that you know, kind of grinding sound because.
Speaker 1: As that resistance. Think of it as a workout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just did ten minutes on the rower after I did Waits this morning. That's good, isn't it. Yeah, that's my cardio. Ten minutes on the row and then I'll walk fits.
Speaker 1: Tell people where to find you, follow you, connect with you, and just a viewer warning, listener warning. If you do send him an email, he's in your life forever. Keep that in mind.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome to the you Project him ah to Shay bro too, shy websitesnow, dot com, dot au websites now, Calm tod a you. It's only because it's the easiest website to remember and you can connect with me.
Speaker 1: Thank you Tiffany, and thank you Patrick.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Thanks lads,