Speaker 1: Welcome to our three to sixty year abilly from every angle joining me again the great good talent. Let's been the jays in poor Crawley and Andrew Webster as the Broncos taking on the Warriors. The Broncos have gone back to back? Are they back? And the Warrior is the sleeping Giants? Maybe in the NRL in season twenty twenty five, got it, But the Broncos Selwyn Cobbo, what's going on with him?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a fast moving story, isn't it. Obviously I thought he was put back to Reserve Grade to find some form and he was a little bit injured to Now other clubs have come to the party and want him to play, and I don't understand why they wouldn't let him go and free up some money.
Speaker 3: The Boys, well the Cowboys have put in the pitch to get him before June thirty.
Speaker 4: St George as well.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys wanted him before June three. Well, the Dragons dip it. They didn't agree on the price and the Broncos have knocked it back. What I can't understand is if the club doesn't want to play him, he doesn't have a contract for next year. He's got an opportunity to go somewhere else.
Speaker 4: Hold him back?
Speaker 1: Why hold makes sense?
Speaker 3: Doesn't You can only think that the only sense it makes is that don't want to give another team a leg up.
Speaker 1: But you know.
Speaker 5: He's a quality player. I can sort of see some of the logic in it. If you're going to make a run at the finals, you want to you know, you want some back up there in the outside backs, and he's a quality player Former Queensland Australian players. No, no, I get that.
Speaker 4: I get that.
Speaker 5: But it's also but if they're going to low ball him, or if they only have three hundred left in their cap, which is what it sounds like they do, let him go down.
Speaker 4: They're a bit light on in the middle.
Speaker 2: They let a guy go for like in a social media post and paid him out, So you would think getting offered some money for a guy that's playing reserve grade if it's the same sort of business sense where you'd let him go, well.
Speaker 1: I think they can all agree so on Cobo as the potential to be one of the best wingers backs in the game. He's an absolute superstar or should be, and he's got the talent, you know, He reminds us or me of a Latroal Mitchell kind of you know GI obviously not at that level, but he has the potential to be. But there's so much I've heard around him. Why hasn't it worked at Brisbane? Is it because of the Broncos or is it because of Selwyn Cobba?
Speaker 4: Both? I think both.
Speaker 5: I thought it was a really telling comment from Billy Walters in the last few days saying that Seln has to find his love of football again and if that's the case, then that's on Selwyn. When I think about Selwyn, I think about the infamous podcast that he did and he mentioned Kevin Walder and said he doesn't coach a team. I was one of the three people that went back and listened to that entire podcast for an hour and a half. Yeah, there wasn't that many who did. And he made a really telling statement he said, I want to play fullback. I want to play fullback. And I remember, you know, before Reese Walsh, when he was just emerging, we all thought, you know, it was a shootout between him and Selwyn Cobbo, and Reese obviously got that jumper and made it his own and he deserves to be there, Reese, but I'd love to see he's only twenty three. I would love to see Selwyn Cobbo, as you said, he's got g I sort of all over him. I'd love to see Soe and Cobbo find his love with the game again and go and play fullback somewhere.
Speaker 3: Dragons well, they have got Gutho, and Gotho might might potentially long term move into the Hearts. Who knows, like he could play center anywhere he wanted. The thing about Sewin and going back to Billy's quote though, and he has to go and find his love of football.
Speaker 4: When when Mage.
Speaker 3: McGuire, with his reputation as a hard ass, signed with the Broncos. Of all the players you thought may struggle under Madge, Selwyn would have been at the top of my list. And for Billy to say that today, it's kind of like, mate, if he hasn't got his love there, go let him enjoy it somewhere else. Like is it that big a burden for Brisbane not to release him?
Speaker 1: Really, because all I've heard out of Brisbane is that you know, he's got a few issues. He gets home sick, he doesn't love the game, him. You know, some games he just doesn't want to play for reasons that other players would wouldn't make up. So there is certainly I think there has to be said there's an issue there with Selwyn because Brisbane you can say, well, he hasn't been coach right or handled right, and I'm sure Brisbane is saying, well, you know what, we've tried hard with this kid and we just can't get him to work.
Speaker 3: Question in the world break.
Speaker 1: But that's not the point.
Speaker 3: Is that if they've realized that, which is the reason why they're offering him three hundred and something thousand half his paypacket for next year, they've realized that, and if there is an opportunity to go else where, why hold him back, Like a couple of weeks ago they wore those black jerseys for mental health, and do you just wear the jerseys or do you live it?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: If there's an opportunity where he thinks he can go and have a better career and maybe pick himself up, let him do.
Speaker 1: It's a great point you make. I love to hear from Brisbane why they didn't let him go, because you make some valid points, some really good points there as to if you're not going to keep him, you offering you're low balling him anyway.
Speaker 4: He can't do like they offered him.
Speaker 2: He's a state of ogon player with the well, which means that's a bit of a kick in the bar.
Speaker 3: So and there's you're right, Gordon, there's no question of world. He's got to take some ownership here, absolutely, But if it's not working for him, and they've obviously decided he's not going to be there, even though they say they want to keep him on half the wage, it ain't going to work out.
Speaker 4: You know, there's some guys you've got to manage, right.
Speaker 2: I always say that Stephen and Uf wouldn't have had the same career if he played under Bryan Smith. I did right, And there's certain ways to manage certain players. And I remember we were walking off trainer one day and I said to Wayne Bennett, why doesn't he have to do it? Wayne goes, when you do what he can do, you do what he does. And it was a great lesson for me. They worry about my job and not worry about what everybody gets. And that's what Wayne does at Souse with Latrelle and all those guys. They're all individuals, they're not one, but they come together on Sunday. And then he'd have was saying, just as long as you bring your boots. I think he's one of those guys.
Speaker 1: Sell on combos. So imagine Maguire signed on his head coach. I thought, well, they're far from the perfect match in terms of Cobbo and Magui, the way that he plays, the way that he trains, and the way that Madge coaches, and already less than a year looks like the relationship is over. Now. We spoke last night about some of the Broncos looking busted. You and Buzz said that pain Hass probably should be rested. Reese Walsh even carrying that knee injury. What do we think of this?
Speaker 4: I agree everything Gordon said.
Speaker 3: I think that if the Broncos want the best out of pain Hess at the end of the season, they're going to have to give him a break on the weekend. Was it his back, was it his groin? Was it his hamstring? They sort of switched between this and that, and no one really said. What you know about pain Hearss is that every time he runs on the field, he's got such a big motor and he's got such a commitment to do his absolute best he will run himself into the ground if you allow him.
Speaker 1: To do it.
Speaker 3: And Madge, when this came up last night, the first image that came to my head was Greg English into he seventeen when he was playing at South Sydney and Madge was the coach and he did his knee in the first half and he played on in the second half. It was against the Tigers, and towards the end of that game even the Tigers players felt sorry for Gui, where they basically they didn't want to go in and tackle him anymore and he was left out in the field. Sam Burgers had issues there. He's got to take that into consider.
Speaker 1: Ra be resting players of the mayment. Now Reese is different. Reese's got the mcl injury with PC which he's going to have for the rest of the year. And even Billy Slater said he had the same injury. He's not going to go away. He's got to play it. He's going to play it. You know, it's as simple as that. Peyton Ha's a little bit different. What if Madge has spoken of paint and pains like whole want to play you got to play, but you've got to.
Speaker 2: Save him from themselves because Shane Webke wanted to play and like I played with guys like Petro and they just feel like they don't want to let the players down. And talking to paint House after the game on the weekend, he said, I love this Jersey, I love this club and I don't want to let the boys down.
Speaker 4: But he's going to let them down at.
Speaker 2: Some stage because of how much petrol he's got on his team.
Speaker 1: He's not a rav right now under a huge pressure. Copy it from the media. They Comet got back on track yet, But do you rest pain then you.
Speaker 2: Do well, you've got to rely on your squad. Penrith did it right. So Penrith are in a worse position than Brisbane. Can they rely on the squad right now though?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: Question?
Speaker 3: But in the end of it is as Gordon said, do you use him up now and leave nothing in the tank for later.
Speaker 4: In the year or do you give him a rest? Because I'll tell you one thing is.
Speaker 3: Quite certain, he won't go out in Origin three and leave anything in the text.
Speaker 2: The guys that they're going to rely on now, they're going to have to rely on at the end of the year when the chips are bigger and they're all in.
Speaker 5: The side of Reese Walsh in the warm up doing his knee and then playing on there. I really want to say this, Like Ree Welsh gets bashed up a lot in the press. I thought the way that he managed to stay on the field and continue to play on and then finish that game as he did Awkland and had an absolute blinder Like I sometimes I don't think we give these blokes enough credit, like for the to be able to do that and play the standard football that he did.
Speaker 4: We're just watching it there.
Speaker 5: And just to see the way that he limped around, Like I mean, they're tough bloks to.
Speaker 4: Be able to do that.
Speaker 5: I would think that Pain to me seems like the mature sort of football. I know what you mean about players wanted to go through. He seems like mature enough as a footballer to make the decision himself. That's that's how Pain seems to me. He seems like a pretty smart cookie, all right.
Speaker 1: Billy Waters has addressed the unfolding Cobo situation and his own future under Michael maguire at red Hill.
Speaker 6: There was never really a culture issue. I don't think. It's just there's always teething periods, I guess with a new coach and he's a bit different the way keV did things. So that's not good or bad. That's just the way it is with coaches. And we're just happy that we've got back to back wins and can build off the back of that advice. Can you to sell them, yeah, I suppose just to be patient and find the love for foot again where he to support seally and whatever he needs to do, and we love having about the club.
Speaker 1: We love having him in our team.
Speaker 6: Blake Bos has just been resigned obviously now we've run over the next year as well.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of competition.
Speaker 6: There is there, Yeah, there is, but it brings out your best footy. I feel I haven't had as many minutes as what I've had the last couple of years. But I'm just happy I'm stilling the team at the moment and off the back of two wins, two really good wins. It's just a good feeling around the place.
Speaker 1: So just happy to be involved. There is Billy Waters talking about sell and Cobble, hoping that he stays patient and gets another shot and can find the love of his footy again, which I think speaks volumes to the situation and where selling is out at the moment. He also mentioned there that he'd like to play more minutes and hasn't played as many as he has in previous years. And Billy just to give him a rap when he come on the weekend, he changed the game. Like when he came on, they were behind, it was just after halftime. I think it was halfter the ten minutes in the bin where they failed to score a try. I think Cronulla scored. He came on and they went on to win the game. So he's definitely having an impact there.
Speaker 4: Gordy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, with such big personalities and pain and carrying him wanting the ball so much up up the middle, I think he gets it to the right places at the right time. Billy, and they did look a little bit sharper and Adam's the dominant playmaker there, but he was given Respulse's chance and that he looked better with Billy.
Speaker 1: And does he get pushed out Billy?
Speaker 2: Uh, Well, I hope not, but it's probably looking that way. And the Cowboys have released their hooker. He's going to the roosters next year, so there's spots for Billy and I think he's got a bit more to offer this competition.
Speaker 1: Do you think you better this time next year?
Speaker 4: You wouldn't think so after they signed that hooker, but I hope so By.
Speaker 5: I'd yeah, I like it. He's a great player. Can I just say this about me? We're bashing out magic Cops are fair bit of criticism. They're fifth for club. It'son supposedly been in crisis a few weeks ago and we're questioning his methodology and that's fair enough.
Speaker 1: But they're fifth, said, you know, we've got to give him credit.
Speaker 4: They're not they're not.
Speaker 5: They can be streaky, but I think apart from Canberra and Canbury, tell me what team isn't in his competition.
Speaker 1: Jury is still out, but they've improved a lot. They've won to in a row and everyone was bashing them before that, so you know there's still a lot of positive signs there for the Broncos. I agree with you, Rebby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well things changed when Reecee Walsh came back.
Speaker 1: That's when it changed.
Speaker 3: And prior to that, Whereby you say they were getting bashed up deservedly, So sure, that their form was awful. Some of the football they were playing was terrible. There was so much coming out of that club that it's not an issue you could ignore. And then they beat the Titans. They started pretty ordinary against the Shark, but the second half was super impressive.
Speaker 1: All right, there's some massive ins and outs around seventeen thanks to sports, but let's take a look real pivotal ones and the big one. To start off with Nathan Cleary named at halfback for the Panthers. There was a question mark over that after his origin game two. Galvin has been selected for the Bulldogs. He is on the bench. Will they use him like they did last time or not? Feynu to half back low wide of five eight for the Tigers. Flenny and king Tony are remaining the hards for the Dragons. Walker and Graham back from injury for the Bunny He's good one for them and Ford. Interestingly, he has been recalled at five eight four the Cowboys. Let's start with Nathan Cleary. It's a huge game up against the Dogs. I think both these teams have got a bit to prove here.
Speaker 5: Can I just say this what a phizzer on on Nathan Cleary is he going to be in ro out of origin. He's backed up already. So all that talk about who's going to suppose we'll see in a big game like this on on Thursday night. I know one thing.
Speaker 2: It's he's good enough to play in the didn't suit. That's like, that's one thing that I made. You just hope that he doesn't redo it.
Speaker 3: Well, he was clearly hampered Orange and he wasn't kicking. He early kicks would going to Lui. He didn't do the goal kicking. You know there was an injury there. They rested him last week that you know more about this break with managing the load of his kicking, how he visualizes his kicks now and doesn't do as much, And it's they need him on the field. Like a month ago, they're sitting last on the ladder. Now they're rape. They go over there without their origin players and beat the Warriors. This is a mess.
Speaker 1: If Tea thought the biggest turning point for them this year would be with all their origin players out playing a top four team over in New Zealand, Like that's that could they could really turn their season around. No, it probably already has, but this could be the momentum they needed, They get the Origin players back and it proves to be a big game to take on the bulldog was Now Galvin has been named at seventeen. How do they playing? Do they playing like they did last time?
Speaker 4: Or I'll ask you how do they play well?
Speaker 1: I mean it worked last time. I can't imagine them playing him any differently unless there's injuries or you know they sex and struggles badly or Burton in that case. But I would assume that because they work so well the first time with that dynamic, they would stick to that.
Speaker 4: How long? How long do they keep on doing this? For holding the kid back?
Speaker 3: Sexton was so good, wasn't he like when he partnered up with him last time? And the week after he was a paramatta that they'd played, and then the following week he had his best first half of football since being there. But Galvin has also looked so good, So at some stage it's got to go one way, and you would think the long term answer is going to be Galvin at seven sec and to his credit, he's creating a fight for it.
Speaker 1: What about reed MANI he wasn't too happy a few weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Well, it's the same as how do they play it this time? Like if Galvin comes on, does Sexton move to dummy half and does Reese go back to the dressing room to kick some more cancer.
Speaker 1: I don't know. How does he handle it?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: Read only looks a lot happier I think than he was in that game, but probably after that game. But I think, to be honest, I think the way you know, I've said this elsewhere. You know, Gus always talks about Penrith's success wasn't so much the culture of the club, but the chemistry within the team. You know, that's been the success of Penrith in many ways. And I think the way that both I know, I think it says a lot about Read's competitiveness, the way that he reacted after that that game against Paramatta, but the way that Toby has sort of embraced it and like it. If you don't have that then it could have been really toxic. But the way it's shaped, it looks like it's you know, it's gonna work from well.
Speaker 1: It says a lot about the club where they're in their culture. Now I forget about Cleary and Serrouto. It's about Cleary v. Gus Cleary v Gus for sure, for sure. Well you know I helped Ivan with his book.
Speaker 4: That's out of the moment.
Speaker 5: Feel free to go and buy ten thousand cops one and that's right, yeah, good, good for not everything counts, but everything matters. But it's a leadership book. But in that book, Ivant explains how he says it straight out. He goes, Gus hurt me, you know the way that the way that the Gus sacked him the first time in two thousand and fifty, and it was they were never the same after that.
Speaker 4: He was gusting in many ways.
Speaker 5: I reckon the fact that Canterbury have built so much of their rebuild around Canterbury around Penrith, players around Penrith, coaching, around Penrith staff.
Speaker 2: But but that's right, did gusco get all those kids?
Speaker 4: Did Gus find those kids and the help build.
Speaker 5: That he set up the team there? But I mean the system at Penrith. But just knowing the history between the two.
Speaker 4: Of them, I think Ivan.
Speaker 5: Ivan's too classy and too understated to say it, but I think he would love to get one up over him.
Speaker 1: There's more to this game than just the players. Of course, Okay, I love it. Clint Garthinson says time maybe running out for the Dragons to find the right halves combination. As shamed for an again digs in on his selections.
Speaker 7: I think when you're in the seven Jersey there's always going to be added pressure. Doesn't matter if you're winning, you're losing. There's always going to be pressure and the best way.
Speaker 4: To deal with that is win.
Speaker 7: If you're winning and you're winning well and playing well and doing your job, the pressure gets off you. And look, it takes time and we don't have time in there and you're going to get make things work pretty quickly. Look, Locke's handled the whole situation great. He hasn't kicked stones, hasn't has it wins one He just got about his business. And I think the one nine in a row in New South Wales Cup, so at seventeen that gets to play every week is out there to try and win. And if you don't, your positions on the line.
Speaker 1: Shave Flannagin won't budge on the halves Crawls.
Speaker 3: What do you think I think this If Flanno was going to budge, this had to be the week because Lockie was dropped. Was it seven games back. It was his game management that was letting him down at the time. I can't agree with Flanno's assumption that Kyle has done better in that respect. I thought his last game was particularly poor. He's kicking games not good. But if you were going to make a change, this was the week you had to do it, because you look at that draw. They're playing the Eels this week, and look who follows. You've got the Raiders, the Roosters, the Bulldogs, the Cowboys, the Raiders, the Sharks, the Warriors. So if you're going with Cole Flanigan, now you hit your wagon to him and you keep him to the end of the season, because I reckon it would be weak to come in a few games into that run and then give someone else like ill As his chance and then say, well I told you so. So if this is their time, and Flanno's also, he's gambling on his own job here because what they finished eleventh last year, and you go through that run and you don't win your share of games, there's a good chance you're going to finish well down the ladder. And what the one topic everyone will talk about is the coach and his son.
Speaker 1: What does it mean, if Funo doesn't finish above eleventh this year, I.
Speaker 5: Don't think there's no way that they'll move him on at all. I think I think Sean Flanagan's a right blake for the job, I really do. And I think he needs more than just two years to improve the Dragons, because they were coming from a pretty low base when he took over the problem with Flannel is that he's got a blind spot when it comes to his son, you know. And I say that with the greatest respect to to Shane and to Kyle, but and it's admirable that he that he supports his son and that he comes out swinging for him, but he surely he cannot understand when he says, you know, Kyle's among our best performers every week, that even if it's the case, and even if he thinks that, just don't say it, because the.
Speaker 4: Optics of it are terrible. And it only works.
Speaker 5: The father son combination works if you're Ivan and Nathan Cleary. And you saw with Ricky Stewart last week with Jed just how reserved he was, how much.
Speaker 4: That's right he should be there. It's a really tricky.
Speaker 3: Better off and it would be better for Cole if he said nothing, that's right because it doesn't do him any favors. But but whether you tell me, can you can you ignore the fact that it's not just a Dragons fans. We sit here and talk about it too, like it's it's an obvious point. They've got Daniel Ackertson going there next year. They brought Lachlin to play seven and he's gone back. He's done nothing wrong. They've won seven. He's got tries, he's got huge triassists, he's not missing tackles one points through a game. Like, he's doing everything that he possibly could and.
Speaker 1: Do everything that I wanted him to do.
Speaker 3: Yet Kyle is still keeping hold of the seven jersey.
Speaker 2: If your reserve grades winning games away, they're doing your first grades losing, there's got to be the ladder up. It can be a slippery slide down, but there's got to be a ladder up.
Speaker 1: Well, the problem is he's got with these players is if they go back and play out of their skin and win games and do everything that they have coaches to ask of them, and they don't get picked in first round while the first grade team is losing, then what do you what do you do? And I'm sure all the players are probably thinking that and talking about that amongst themselves. It's like what else can we do? You know that's and then that can be toxic inn a group. That's all I'm saying. That's from experience.
Speaker 3: There's an old saying that you can't pull your socks up if you're not wearing any But with Flannel playing his son there, like's if it's not the most important position on the field, it's one of the two most important positions on the field, and it's not working for the Dragons if they slide down the ladder further this year. It's a problem that they've got to address, and it doesn't seem like they have gone about addressing.
Speaker 5: There was a real reluctance from Saint George's directors to get Shane Flanagan to the club in the first place, because of this very situation that we're in that they're in now about about the problem about whether how it would work with Kyle coming to the club and it's coming to fruition. But for me, as a long suffering Dragons fan, it goes deeper than this, Like I don't understand how one of the biggest a club with the biggest nurseries in the competition and have been for decades. Cannot unearth an organizing halfback. It's been a problem with that club for decades. And I know they've got King coming through, and I've got you know a few other young players coming through, Kate Reid, but before that it was going to be a moan and and Bud Sullivan. So the Dragons just have this inability to keep halves.
Speaker 1: Or keep players.
Speaker 4: We'll keeps.
Speaker 5: In particularly but in particular, in particular decent quality halves when they have a nursery like the one that they do.
Speaker 1: Breaking news to this afternoon, Sloan is free to leave, so coach Flanagan has given him the opportunity to negotiate with other clubs. Thoughts on this sad.
Speaker 5: You know, he had so much potential and when he's on, he's on, But you know there's parts of his game that aren't then aren't up to NRL standard at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a tough one. Look watching that game against the Sharks two weeks back, it was obvious that he wasn't going to keep his spot going forward.
Speaker 4: You came up with multiple errors.
Speaker 3: Is you know that collision with Gutho under the high ball that that day, it was just kind of like it was coming.
Speaker 1: He's a player that you look at him and it's sort of similar to Nico Hins in a way that you can tell that he's just struggling with confidence and belief. But when he's on, he's got so much talent, Like the kid could be a freak. Like in open space he's beautiful watch and even under the high ball in good field position he struggles with it coming out of his own end. His carries have got to be better. But there's just so much to this kid that could be special. Seems like he's getting in his own way.
Speaker 5: And earlier in the year he looked like he was enjoying not having the pressure of fullback but blood playing on the wing. It just seemed like it was, you know, it was set up for him to take over from Guthe when the time came, but it hasn't.
Speaker 4: Worked the other way all right.
Speaker 1: Sticking around journals, Sam Constance is back. The Young Gun returns for the Aussie tour of the West Indies. The first Test begins tomorrow night from Barbados, with every ball live on ESPN,