Speaker 1: Lucky Dip time, Lucky Lucky Dip time? What it is in your lucky dip today? Emel?
Speaker 2: Hello, Hi, how are you great?
Speaker 3: And you.
Speaker 2: Wonderful?
Speaker 1: It's weird because we've just chatted so much beforehand, to then say how are you is the weirdest thing of all time.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm going to do today's lucky dip, and you know this. I really enjoy finding out meanings behind songs. Yes, you do, right, Yes, I'm going to play you a little bit of a song that has such an unbelievably sad backstory. Oh my god, but you would never think it. Okay, remember this song.
Speaker 3: When Buelvigamonacha wom badel.
Speaker 2: The Yes So that was Dancing in the moon Light by Top Load Up, which came out in two thousand. That's not that old.
Speaker 1: I mean it's old, but not that old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well twenty four years old. I know it doesn't seem like that long ago, doesn't nu. Okay, but that's not the original. The original version of that song was written in nineteen sixty nine by a man named Sherman Kelly. Oh my god, okay, so it was written in nineteen seventy. Actually, sorry, but this is what that song is about. In nineteen sixty nine, Sherman Kelly and his girlfriend and some friends rented a yacht and they traveled to this island called Saint Croix in the Virgin Islands with their friends and the girlfriend and Sherman got really really seasick on the way there. That'd be me, yeah, like nothing worse than being seizing. So you can understand they didn't want to get back on the boat to go back to where they were staying. So they said to their friends, you know what, you guys, go off, come back and get us tomorrow. They thought, we'll just stay here for the night. So anyway, because he'd been feeling so shit, he didn't think to get his wallet and all that stuff from the boat. So they're there thinking, fuck, he's got nothing, no money, no nothing, none of them. So they're like okay. They go to a couple of hotels and ask, you know, if they can stay the night, they'll pay them back the next day. One guy was like absolutely not. The other place they went to, the guy's like, yeah, okay, let me have sex with you girlfriend, and they're right, So it was like a no go, and the girlfriend's like you know what, it's such a beautiful night. Let's just sleep on the beach. Fine, that's what they do when they're asleep. They were attacked by this street gang who'd been operating in the neighborhood. This is really horrible, okay. They were called the Fountain Valley Gang. Five gang members bashed Sherman with baseball bats while they raped his girlfriend. So she was gang raped while he was beaten to the point where they assumed he was dead and they ran off. Oh my god. Somehow Sherman and the girlfriend were able to get themselves to the one hospital in town. Now, Sherman says he obviously survived. He says of when he was in the hospital, this is his quote. I woke up to the sound of my hospital roommate screaming in pain. Finally the screaming stopped, and I heard two doctors talking about him. That's it, he's gone, said one doctor about the other patient. What about him, You think he's gonna make it? And the other doctor said no, I doubt it. And I realized they were talking about me.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And also, it's one of those islands where, like I don't think it's a top notch hospital situation. So his drifting sort of in and out of consciousness for a few days ends up having to stay with a friend there for quite some time to recover until he's well enough to go back to the States, where then he had to have like he was beaten so badly that when he got to the States and the doctors saw him, they had to reset all his bones and everything because he was fucked. Oh my god, anyway, that song, you would think, Oh my god, dancing in the moonlight, everybody's feeling warm and bright. He wrote that song as like he said, this is his quote. I envisioned an alternate reality, the dream of a peaceful and joyous celebration of life. It was just me imagining a better world than the one that I had just experienced in Saint Croix. So like how that night should have been as opposed to what it was.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Whenever I hear that song, oh that's all you'll think about bumps. Yeah, isn't that unbelievable?
Speaker 1: Yes, it sounds like such a happy, happy every bad Yeah, you know one I'll ever listen to it to the same that never never, How did you? Out of all songs, I decide to deep dive on that one.
Speaker 2: I think because I had thought, because I like this behind the song thing. You know, you're just watching something, and then it'll be oh, and then this is a meaning for this song, and I thought right, And then when I read it, I was like, oh, fuck, surely not many people know that.
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't know that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Wow. You like to find either the really sex related ones or the really grim ones loo.
Speaker 2: When it comes to stories, either end of the spectrum, isn't it?
Speaker 1: And you've delivered again. All Right, we're out of here. Thank you to our patrons. Head over to patreon dot com Forward's last show and tell online you can grab a membership otherwise we'll be back. Seemed to chat to.
Speaker 4: You again, but natural
Speaker 3: Revolt, the everybody every downcing and the line