Speaker 1: Appod Shape Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Am I a Bad mom? Podka?
Speaker 3: It's the question that we continue to ask over and over, day in, day out.
Speaker 1: It's a great reflective moment. Am I a bad parent? Could have done it differently?
Speaker 2: You know? It's two weeks till school holidays again, yes, you.
Speaker 3: Did remind me before two weeks.
Speaker 2: Halfway through, you know, six months till Christmas.
Speaker 3: No, we don't need to talk about that. That's way too far off. We do need to talk about though, just a little laugh out loud moment.
Speaker 1: Elsie plays netball.
Speaker 3: We have like a WhatsApp group chat for netball team, you know you do for every group that you're in. And the manager team manager pops it up and says, there's a fun raising.
Speaker 1: Day baked sale.
Speaker 3: It's on the fifteenth of June, please bacon donate.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, shoot, we're going away that weekends. So sad not to be able to help.
Speaker 2: You're not going away, are you? No?
Speaker 1: I am?
Speaker 3: But then the team coach, who is my sister in law just writes your message and goes, haha, are you though? Are you really sad to be missing out on the bake day?
Speaker 1: I was like, shut up.
Speaker 4: Is this a day where you have to actually bake something? Like you can't just take because when there's been bake days in the past, like I'm the one that goes to Woolies and gets the.
Speaker 2: Pre made okakes.
Speaker 1: You could do that.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like there's a bit of shame around that though?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure I probably would have done that option of going and pretending like I'd made the caramel size but just got it from Like, well, do you.
Speaker 2: Know what I reckon? There's a good option.
Speaker 4: And this is off the back of the fact that I went to that health retreat recently and my kids are hating the fact that they're getting all healthy, organic food, which is gonna stop. Like then my husband's on the weekend brought them bonbons. I was like, how about that no sugar rule, Like that's got out of the window. Two weeks after us go to one of the bake seals, Yeah, and make something like super healthy like you know where they substitute like sugar for honey cacaw was you know, it's not nice, Like the desserts aren't nice. To do it again, they're the ones that don't sell at those bake days and then you're the person that has to pick up your tup away container.
Speaker 2: That's still full of bake goods.
Speaker 3: Look, I don't participate in much of those, but just got called out by my sister in law on the group chat for the netball group.
Speaker 2: They're listening. She's not really going away anywhere.
Speaker 1: No, I am going away, but I'm just not really sad about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, am I a bad mum for forcing them out of the house.
Speaker 3: Your girls at their age group that they are in, they tend to like to hibernate until at least lunchtime.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: What I've realized about having teenagers and this is like you go from one battle to the other. And we talk about this often, like it's ages and stages, and then there's always battles around each age, and then you get some stuff gets better and then some stuff gets worse. Right, So you would be in the stage where you have school holidays and your girls.
Speaker 2: Will probably go, what are we doing today?
Speaker 1: Every day?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Every day?
Speaker 4: So they're wanting a plan, They're wanting you to spend money, They're wanting something to go and do to entertain them for that day. Find it very hard just to sit at home and entertain themselves.
Speaker 3: And I thank you Katie for recognizing that it would only be in the school holidays.
Speaker 1: But it's like every weekend, Like Elsie, on the way home from Netbil the other day, can.
Speaker 2: We just stop and do something fun? Our lives are so boring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've just stat at Netbull for two hours for you. Ye, but yeah, let's go and drop a thousand at time zone.
Speaker 1: What do you want from me? Kid?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So your girls are not there anymore.
Speaker 4: No, It's like so it goes from one extreme to the other because now they're teenagers. They don't want to go anywhere, they don't want to do anything for you, And so I will say, Okay, we're gonna go out and we're gonna do this today, and they're like, like, I get the eye rolls. So I booked and I'm going to be talking about something that we talked about recently because you also went there. And I'm like, these guys should really sponsor the podcast. They don't, but god, I wish I did the tree top challenge.
Speaker 2: So it's this is fantastic. You're up high, you're doing the like walking along.
Speaker 4: The tightrope and through the nets and stuff like that, and then you got zip lines.
Speaker 2: I like to.
Speaker 4: Suggest things to do that I know I'm good at, and that also my husband isn't very good at because I'm quite competitive, and so I quite enjoy when I'm like, oh look at me, you go and I'm like racing ahead and I'm like four courses through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's still all stuck because.
Speaker 2: He's a big man, and these things are not men for big men. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, the ziplining for me, i'd be going because even just getting on it for us, I go.
Speaker 4: And this is not like, am I bad wife episode? But I did enjoy watching he's coming down the zip line. And again, you know, like if you're a big guy on a zip line, like it's a very different experience to a small you know, seven year old who's like flying and just landing at the end, like there's a crash landing at the end, like you've got so much more gravity in your force and yeah, and so he's coming down and you can see his legs going and my first thought was, Oh, he's doing that to be funny like it because it looks funny like he's moving his legs all around. He's later told me that he needs to come in front on like he's come in facing forward like the minute, the other way around, like it's a problem. So these little funny things he's doing with his Legacies Act. And then what's happened is he's not quite got to the end, like it stopped before the end, so he's had to grab hold of the wire. And then what you have to do in that situation is you have to turn around, so going backwards, but it's a lot because you're going uphill.
Speaker 1: You monkey climb.
Speaker 4: Back to get up there, but it's really hard on your arms. So anyway he's doing this, I'm finding it really funny because it's not me. I have to start laughing, and the girl's laughing, and he's gone, stop laughing.
Speaker 2: And then there's this little kid. There's nothing to do with us. He's this other little boy.
Speaker 1: Stop laughing.
Speaker 4: I was like, mate, you can't tell someone else's kids to stop laughing. I was looking at this kid'ry around it.
Speaker 2: He's just joking. I'm not joking.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 4: Anyway, that wasn't even part of the story. I just that in as to why I like going to the tree Top Challenge because I'm pretty good at it, so I quite like it.
Speaker 1: Did you girls go okay? Yeah?
Speaker 4: So the whole point in me bringing this up is that they did not want to go. So I have said the day before tomorrow, guess what we're doing, because I know now, don't ask beforehand just to because once it's booked, we have to go.
Speaker 2: Guess what we're doing tomorrow. Both of them are like looking at.
Speaker 4: Me, like, what the fuck are we doing? So we're going to the Streetop Challenge. There was a kind of a halfer don't want her to feel bad because she thinks she's excited and she thinks we're excited and we're not. But then there was also like a slight eye roll from Holly and Amelia's like yay, okay. I said, guys, I know right now that you don't want to go to this, but you have to trust me in that I've booked it and it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be fun.
Speaker 4: Yes, you're not gonna want to get up and go and get ready, but you're gonna have fun. Yeah, And so got them up in the morning. All the pushback, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, what's it always have to be like this?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Why does my day have to start with bribing you to get yourself dressed and out a house on time so that we can make the time that we've booked for this and have fun as a family.
Speaker 2: Why does it have to be such hard work for me?
Speaker 1: Where did they say nothing? Nothing fronted?
Speaker 4: Then I'm like, I've got myself ready, pets are fair, dishwashers emptied, I've put the washing away vacuum to the house, and I'm like, okay, guys, let's go okay, off we go, okay, guys through that whole process of you going all right, we've got an hour, all right, we've got forty five minutes. All right, we've got thirty nine minutes. Just have to Why can't I just say we're leaving the house in an hour, Yeah, see you then, because it just wouldn't happen.
Speaker 2: But you know what happened.
Speaker 4: We went did the courses, spent three hours there, had a great time.
Speaker 2: All the way home, they're talking about how much fun it was.
Speaker 3: For them to love it, Like I can understand what you went through, but for them, they don't have a clue. So You're like, come on, guys, just trust me, it's going to be amazing.
Speaker 1: So then at the end of it, they're like, oh, that really was amazing.
Speaker 3: I wonder if they have that reflection moment of going, I shouldn't have tortured mum like that.
Speaker 1: For the whole.
Speaker 4: It literally goes from one extreme to the other. So you have kids that want to do something every single day, get up with the sparrows, and then next minute you have that don't want to do anything with you and sleep until lunchtime. And then you got husbands that scream at everyone to not laugh at.
Speaker 3: Them, including other people's children also doing the course with us.
Speaker 4: So it's funny because Day was excited to go. I was excited to go, kids were excited to go.
Speaker 2: They were all raving about it.
Speaker 4: On the way home, Ja was telling me he's never going backwards.