Speaker 1: I'm Ruby Jones and you're listening to seven Am. It's something Pauline Hanson has been eyeing for years, and on the weekend she finally got it a seat in the Lower House. Her candidate for Farah, David Farley, did even better than expected. He was elected on fifty seven percent of the vote. It changes things, not just for Pauline Hanson and One Nation, but for the country. Today. Contributing editor for The New Daily, Amy Ramikus on the power of populism right now and what One Nation wants next. It's Monday May eleven.
Speaker 2: Will like a mason with a chisel and a hammer and we recarving the letters into the Australian democracy.
Speaker 3: One Nation has reached the end of its.
Speaker 1: Beginning, so Amy, One Nation's victory in Farah was historic. It's the first time One Nation has won a federal Lower House seat since Pauline Hanson herself was elected back in the nineties. She is, of course synonymous with the party, so tell me about how she's taking credit for this. Pauline Hanson is having a victory lap at the moment. I think it's maybe the happiest that I've ever seen her in thirty years of watching her on the national stage.
Speaker 4: Because even when she was elected it was as an independent. Barnaby Joyce jumped ship from the Nationals. But this is people putting one next to a one Nation candidate at the voting booth.
Speaker 2: This is no only wind for it's a win for the rest of Australia. I'm seeing a sea of these proud Australians faces here in front of me, hundreds of you that manions are watching you on TVs now, and I believe it's giving them hope.
Speaker 4: While the Liberals and the Nationals had preference David Farley, in the end he didn't even really need those preferences because he was so far ahead on first preferences that you know, it was overwhelmingly he was the choice of the electorate.
Speaker 3: When I was walking out of here earlier and I.
Speaker 2: Looked up and I saw the sky called it that we won the seat.
Speaker 3: I actually got a tier of my own. So yeah, Pauline Hanson is very very happy. And she started.
Speaker 4: Talking about you know, one nation's dominance, and to which an extent that is absolutely true. What we're seeing as a reordering of the right when it comes to mainstream politics in Australia, One Nation's rise has corresponded with the coalition's decline. It's all happened quite rapidly after the last federal election.
Speaker 2: And who may be watching this coming after those other seats.
Speaker 3: Forgotten anymore.
Speaker 4: So what Pauline Hanson now is doing is talking about where one Nation is heading next, and that's national seats, but it's also outer suburban seats. And Pauline Hansen has said that Western Sydney is on her list, including in the Liberal held seat of Lindsay, which Melissa Macintosh, who considers herself one of the future leaders of the Liberal Party currently holds. And the Liberal Party is quite worried about One Nation's impact on seats like Lindsay and what that's going to mean over the next couple of years.
Speaker 1: And it was the most regional parts of the seat of Farah that voted the most emphatically for One Nation.
Speaker 3: So how do you think.
Speaker 1: That those voters and people who are in these regional seats suburban seats in general are thinking about the country that they want to live in. And how much anger do you think there is?
Speaker 4: I think there is a lot of anger, but there always has been, particularly in Regional Australia. Regional Australia feels are very abandoned by mainstream politics.
Speaker 3: That's not new. We need to change.
Speaker 5: All the others are liars.
Speaker 3: They don't back up on their promises. We've had enough and it's time to bring in some new blood.
Speaker 6: I think therefore, the people I feel our local areas being neglected for a fairly long time.
Speaker 4: And in a lot of cases their right to feel abandoned. I mean Barnaby Joyce, when he was National's leader, used to make a point of saying that the Nationals electorates were the poorest in the country. He did not change that while he was National's leader, and while he had a lot of influence over the Nationals. The Coalition who have been in government for most of the time over the last thirty years, have not changed that in terms of the National electorates. They have not been able to create new industry, new opportunity, or address the inequality between the regions and the more urban seats in Australia.
Speaker 6: Everybody else has had a bit of a gout trying to get this country into order. And I love Pauline Hanson's straightforward approach and doesn't hold back and says exactly what the normal everyday Australian is thinking that the country needs a good turnover.
Speaker 4: And Rob Harris from the Nine Newspapers went to Griffith, which is one of the more multicultural seats within Farah and he did a profile ahead of the by election where the general view what that he was quoting from voters was f the lot of use, which is I think really indicative of people just saying to the major parties, we had done with what you're offering. The regions and the outer suburban seats is always where one nation has had its biggest success. But the problem now for the major parties is that people a little bit more in from the regions are starting to listen to one nation. They're really showing a lot of discontent with the status quo and Anthony Albanezi is starting to weave in a lot more people are telling us that they no longer want to see things done as they always have been and we have to respond to that change.
Speaker 3: Quite clearly.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of people under financial pressure who feel like the system isn't working for them and that's a message for all political parties in the system.
Speaker 4: He has a little bit more room to respond to that change than the Liberal Party do, who are under a lot of threat from one nation and the Nationals who may very well find themselves wiped out at the next election.
Speaker 3: But Labor would.
Speaker 4: Be very foolish to ignore these signs, particularly if they don't start to give people a little bit more hope that there is going to be economic reform that addresses the inequality and the iniquity in Australia's economy.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting any if you look at what's happening in the UK. Nigel Farage's Reform Party also had a significant win late last week and there's now speculation about him being the next UK Prime Minister.
Speaker 3: So how similar is what is happening here.
Speaker 1: Do you think that we're going to end up looking back on this moment as the beginning of the far rights political assent in Australia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really interesting because we can also go back to Trump and what happened in the United States. You know, like Pauline Hansen was being Trump before Trump was Trump, you know, at least in Australia, and Nigel Farage is probably the closest Paul Enhansen character in the United Kingdom, having played a major role in Brexit. And what links the three movements is that economic discontent. It is blaming people who are not necessarily to migrants for government failures in infrastructure and policy over the last three decades.
Speaker 2: And we want people that want the Australians. I don't love the immigration by no means, but I want people to come here to this country.
Speaker 3: I don't want sharia law on our doors.
Speaker 4: We're seeing economic instability in all three countries, which has been worsened by a global inflation crisis that some analysts say is going to be bigger than the GFC and also potentially bigger and longer than what we saw in the early stages of COVID. And that is going to force more people into that real politics of grievance mindset because they are not seeing the same benefits.
Speaker 3: As previous generations.
Speaker 4: And also no real hope. But the other thing is that in the UK, the center left government labor of the UK has not responded in ways that their platform would suggest that they would respond. They've gone for more austerity style policies when it comes to economics, rather than leaning into some of those old school labor values of giving people money and you know, trying to artificially inflate the economy to ensure that people can get through it. We've also seen that with the Democrats, who did not address the economic inequality and in fact, you know, upheld a lot of corporate.
Speaker 3: America in their policies.
Speaker 4: And in Australia we're sort of at that tipping point with this next budget.
Speaker 3: Is Labor going to start addressing some of those issues that have been.
Speaker 4: Embedded for the last twenty years or so and follow through with some of what Labor's platform says that its values are or is it going to maintain the status quo? And a lot of voters they're going for a disruptor, Donald Trump, Nigel Farrage, Pauling Hanson potentially in Australia to break up the status quo and hopefully shock the major institutions into doing something different. And I think that's going to be the story of this period of time.
Speaker 1: Coming up. Could the Libs, Matts and One Nation ever form a new proposition? Can we talk a little more amy about the effect on the Liberal Party. I mean, they were already extremely worried about One Nation. That concern costs them a leader. It's behind recent policy pivots. So has that concern turned into blind panic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not sure if it's blind panic from the parliamentary wing, but it's getting to be blind panic in a lot of the apparatus that supports it, I think, and I think we're going to be I think Angus Taylor would be very lucky to be leading the Liberal Party and the Coalition at the next election, and if he is, it will be because they haven't yet come up with another answer as to who might be able to fend off one nation.
Speaker 3: Angus Taylor has.
Speaker 4: Come out in an interview with the Australian Financial Review where he said that the answer is to go back to some of the Howard principles, being culturally conservative as well and economically rational. But the problem with that is that the Howard principles worked because Australia was in a once in a generation mining boom, which meant that there were rivers of gold flowing into Australia's treasury, and no government since has had that same impact in terms of having a sudden influx in resources, rent and in tax receipts flowing into the economy. What Angus Taylor has is the legitimacy of one nation, helped along by a Liberal party that is legitimizing their message. Angus Taylor's most recent speeches on migration, where he advocates for a return to a discriminatory migration policy, is very much in line with what One Nation has been offering.
Speaker 5: Not everyone wanting to migrate to Australia has a noble intent. Not everyone wanting to migrate to Australia will be a net benefit to Australia.
Speaker 3: Indeed some will be a net train.
Speaker 4: And then they're preferencing one nation as well, which is what one former Liberal MP told me was maybe the stupidest suicide note for a modern political party. And so they do need to be worried because the seats that are going to fall to one nation, or the seats that are currently most in danger of falling to one.
Speaker 3: Nation, are coalition seats.
Speaker 4: Marinoah was in trouble even before One Nation's most recent rise, Capricornia, Herbert Lindsay, Latrobe, these are all seats that are at risk of falling to one nation.
Speaker 3: We've seen research too.
Speaker 4: There's been studies that have been done that have looked at you know what's happened to political parties that have gone further to the right to try to appease the right, And basically what's happened is they've just legitimized the far right and people go to the originator rather.
Speaker 3: Than the imitator. So it is a reordering of the right.
Speaker 4: It does not look like the modern Liberal Party is going to make it through this. It does not look like the Coalition will make it through this. That doesn't mean that center right politics won't exist. It just means that we're probably going to see something new emerge. And Barnaby Joyce was openly saying that recently where he was saying this might be it, they might be done.
Speaker 7: Obviously the Liberal Party really do have to do some soul searching after the weekend that was catastrophic. That is almost that's almost a signal that things might be over.
Speaker 4: And that's because he's looked at the electoral landscape as somebody who was a member of the National Apparatust and is now a member of one Nation and he's seeing which way those votes flow. Not just say that Labor won't be in trouble, but at the moment, the most immediate danger to a major political party is to the coalition, and they do not seem to have the answers of how they're going to address that.
Speaker 1: And I know that senior Liberal politicians are distancing themselves from this now. But there has been speculation about whether the Liberal Party would form a new coalition, one that includes one Nation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the thropalition has been in play, I think for a while, but that only makes sense if there's new seats to be one because if it's just one nation taking coalition seats, then it's just a one nation takeover of the coalition. One of the reasons why the Liberal Party lost the inner city seats to the Teel Independence was because it was becoming increasingly difficult for small l liberals to uphold and apologize for the policies that the Liberal Party was creating to try and address the one nation threat.
Speaker 3: So until they can come up with a way to win inner city seats that are.
Speaker 4: Not as open to the politics of grievance in the same way that we're seeing with one nation voters, until they can come up with a way to convince them to vote for one nation and the coalition, we're not going to see any sort of successful thropalition which would lead to them taking government. Well any thank you so much for your time, anytime.
Speaker 1: Seven am. We'll be back tomorrow with an episode on the case against Coals and Woollies, as a judge weighs the evidence. Will they be found to have conned customers? And what are the implications for shoppers everywhere?
Speaker 5: It is a huge one, especially because of who we're dealing with here. I mean, we're not just this is in the corner store. This is everyone's call to store. Coles and Woolies dominate the supermarket industry. But the good thing is that it will have broader implications for all businesses.
Speaker 3: No one else.
Speaker 5: Will be able to do this. If the a troop will see.
Speaker 1: Wins, that'll be in your feed tomorrow. I'm Ruby Jones. Thanks for listening.