Speaker 1: This is the Media Show with Jack Outing.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to the Media Show. Tonight we'll look at a major court victory for soldier Ben Roberts Smith, and then of course we'll sit down with media watchdog columnist Jared Henderson.
Speaker 1: But first, here.
Speaker 2: We are on the eve of another federal election, and now I could talk about how the Coalition has squandered an early polling lead with an absence of policy depth and a series of missteps, but you already know all of that, and this show is about the media. So we're going to take some time to look at the respective media strategies of each major party because there have been some shocking changes in the wake of AI.
Speaker 1: Chick and tracking your money or your life.
Speaker 3: You're a smarter than.
Speaker 1: You look, authorized by ew Strain, Labor Party Westpeth.
Speaker 2: Well, what you just watched there was a series of AI enhanced social media memes which are having a devastating impact on the coalition. Now these are official, authorized clips, which include dressing Peter dutten up as an evil sith lord uses a lightsaber to slash the healthcare system. And there's any of it true, not a word. It is brutal politics strategically targeting a young audience and people who don't have ours to spare in their busy lives to study politics. It is a scattergun approach, throw mud and see what sticks, and some of these clips are reaching hundreds and thousands of young voters. Now, we've been tracking Labour's new AI misinformation blits across social media very closely and worked out they spent three point eight million dollars on Google ads including YouTube between March twenty eight and April twenty six, and a further one point one million on meta platforms such as Facebook and Instagram, and that is more than double the amount of money the coalition assigned to social media. Make no mistake, this sort of disreperency kills campaigns. And what truly irks me about this new bold form of campaigning is that Labour has spent the last few years lecturing Australians about misinformation. Albanezi personally blamed his failed Voice referendum on misinformation and his parting even tried to outlaw it on social media, although politicians were going to be exempt from those laws.
Speaker 4: It is a lot of misinformation out there, but it's a very clear proposition continue to counter some of the misinformation which is out there. There will be misinformation out there, we say you all, sir, There's been a whole lot of misinformation out there. Some of the misinformation out there is extraordinary. People in public office and public life have a responsibility to not spread misinformation, to talk about the facts.
Speaker 1: How times have changed.
Speaker 2: And also, this was what Albanezi had to say back in twenty nineteen about fake political adverts.
Speaker 4: But what happens when it turns out that what politicians are allegedly saying isn't actually real at all? Facebook usually won't do anything at all about it. That happened to me just last week when men's rights activists Lead Erickson docted a social media image from my Facebook page.
Speaker 2: It looks like if you stay in politics long enough, you become the villain you once despised. Well, joining me on the panel this week a Sky News contributors James Bolt and Louise Roberts. Of course, Louise, what do you make of this? You pivot the use of AI and the willingness to lie to win an election?
Speaker 5: Well, the willingness to lie to win an election? Gee, that's not a new concept. I don't think and certainly in recent weeks has it been so I think, you know, this is the way to win our hearts and minds tomorrow ahead of the vote. I don't think so. And it's a very cynical way of them trying to attract or speak to young voters who will be turning off from this sort of messaging by the thousands because it is appalling and what an appalling waste money as well, millions of dollars spend on these stupid ads in making look like a sith lord, you know, photoshopping him into various things, which that are really struggling to understand the messaging behind these ads, despite all the money they're spent on it. So to me they're completely counterproductive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean James that they're equal parts light and funny. So you've got him dressed up as Darth Maul with a lightsaber, but there is a brutality to it in that he's cutting through medicare and it does kind of work. And I see some of these clips have thirty thousand shares, you know, hundreds of comments in it, and they do permeate through the zeitgeist. I think of that demographic we'll have to see if it worked. But it looks like if you're looking at the polls now that it's definitely had an impact.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we're talking about it, so therefore it is working a lot better than a lot of Liberal ads on it, and especially this medi scare thing.
Speaker 7: So you know when Anne Rustin talks.
Speaker 6: To ask a Godseeller wrote that article that we featured, and she goes, oh, this is just political games from Labor. It's just dir like first election campaign, where are your political games?
Speaker 7: I mean medi scare.
Speaker 6: Laby got to this quicker, meaner and louder than the Liberal Party, and dune't spent the whole campaign having to just say it, reject another narrative and rather than set his zones and no matter what happens on Saturday, major wake up call for the Liberal Party about not being fast enough on social media, not getting AI quick enough, and not being able to set an agenda from the start.
Speaker 2: The misinformation laws side of this, we were going to have to have I guess discourse policed by these laws. Now, in hindsight, when we've seen the strategies, when we've seen the way that that Labor is campaigning, it looks very hypocritical.
Speaker 5: Now it does completely because we I think as parents as well, we sort of expected these laws to protect our children's That's where really put out faith in for the government.
Speaker 1: Has targeted at children.
Speaker 5: That's right, that was the point I was going to make Exactly, it's going straight to young voters with you know, sort of saddled with dealing with and voting on issues which are not of their making. They haven't created the housing crisis, they haven't created the cost of living crisis. They're looking to the government or the future party to actually solve these issues for them. Instead, they're having to weigh through these social media means, which you know, yes, probably do come through to a certain extent, but they don't actually give them anything tangible to think how, how is a political party going to fix this for me? What's the change be for me as a young person living in Australia.
Speaker 6: I think that, but though, like how many young voters actually are out there going well, what's tangible for me? I mean, I really think every election comes down to who would you rather have a beer with? And when you've got the Labor Party, I mean, look, they're not adds for me, They're not adds for us, they don't speak in the language of the watpake.
Speaker 7: But for some people.
Speaker 6: That could just be the stuff like, Ah, this Labor party, they're kind of fun Like that could.
Speaker 7: Just be enough to win over a vote.
Speaker 1: Maybe.
Speaker 2: Well, there's another element to this social media campaigning which is also killing the coalition. Now, Labour's advertising team might be shameless liars, but the coalition's team is simply weird. How is the coalition fighting against the five million dollar labor blitz? Well with asenine clips like this, please vote for me.
Speaker 8: Screamed Dane bond Albanesi in a desperate attempt to clutch a dub in the last four days of the Fortnite election. Despite his best efforts to camp his way to victory the players in the lobby, Moses time was for the last three seasons of an easy had dramas the chief rightem sharp, but the price for the battle pass kept rising and causing many players to crash out. The rage continue this album as he hosted a mini event on the island where he spent four hundred and fifty million taxpayer v bucks on a voice referendum, and now with the storm closing in the choice is clear a camping default or dunten who will clutch up and get the dub for Aussies with cheaper.
Speaker 1: Petrol and energy authorized by a host liberal camera.
Speaker 2: If you publish that as an ad, you deserve to lose. There is no gray area here. The Coalition fumbled this campaign because it did not have a message. Instead, it employed a bunch of low IQ young liberals who are obsessed with Fortnite to produce this utter garbage. It reeks of an older audience desperately trying to attract Gen Z voters by throwing buzzwords at them. Ironically, this sort of thing quickly becomes toxic. No policy details, no plans, just memes, and it will cost them dearly. So Luise, you've got to give labor Alis some credit. There was at least some creativity there in the misinformation campaign, and when you compare it to some of the ads at the liberal parties, the way that they're trying to emulate that strategy very cringe worthy. And I think that you can see online it's getting mocked by a lot of that generation.
Speaker 5: Absolutely who it's meant to appeal to. It's almost like they got into a bunker and went, oh my god, we've got to quickly do an aiad who knows how to use chat GPT quickly, let's cobble something together. I don't think politicians should be allowed to use any type of AHI because clearly they've got no idea how it works or what the messaging is. But I mean, I agree with your point.
Speaker 1: I think James as well.
Speaker 2: It's the kids that maybe don't have real world experience, and the older members of Liberal Party maybe don't understand social media, and they have deferred to the younger generation and their party that don't.
Speaker 1: Have the experience.
Speaker 2: They're probably a little bit nerdy, they're probably not the most likable people you wouldn't want to go have a beer with. Yes, and we're getting this kind of advertising from people that really don't have anything interesting say or anything of substance, lots of things.
Speaker 6: So watching that ad, like, I've never played Fortnite, but I'm assuming it's just hitting buzzword after buzzword after buzzword about Fortnite. And the difference with the labor One that we just played was that it always came back to duttonmal Cup medicicare, Like there was a point to what it was saying exactly. Now, the other part of this ad, because like you can say it's terrible, and it is, and you guys have covered that. But the other part of it is it came out yesterday. Four million people had already voted by the time it came out. That is one in for nearly one in four people on the electoral role who can't change their minds, like not won't change their minds.
Speaker 7: They can't change their minds.
Speaker 6: So even if that ad were good, it's ultimately kind of useless. So I mean the Liberal campaign, they came out, they say, okay, well from the last week of the campaign, that's where now spending is going to really go up.
Speaker 7: We're really going to focus in on that last week.
Speaker 6: But so many people have either voted, they have completely made up their minds. They might have made up their minds three months ago. They're not people that you can get anymore. I just think that the Liberal Party has this whole Super Bowl mentality of like everything got to lead up to game day, It's all about that Saturday, and that is just not how people think.
Speaker 7: Getting more a great people just.
Speaker 6: Like they don't want to vote on Saturday because the lines are too long. It's not that they've just can't wait to vote. It's just the concept of election day. It's a political animal thing. It is not a regular person thing any.
Speaker 2: And we were talking before, we were before the show, and there might be some indication that people have switched off. They're going out to vote simply because they just don't care anymore. They want to get it done.
Speaker 1: It's true they have.
Speaker 5: To, they just don't want to get a fine if they ever get a fine in the post. But the whole atmosphere of the democracy sausage and going there and getting the hat to vote cards and taking kids along and all that community, I really feel is is on the decline, which is a real shame because democracy is such a part of our fabric and framework. And to your point, Jane's about the combalition leaving everything to the last minute, That show is a very bad understanding of how media now works and how we consume media as well, that we're not waiting to the last minute to sort of suddenly check who we're going to vote for.
Speaker 6: But also your own political momentum, because they had a lead this year, how do you not go even harder at that moment or rather than just like stepping back and going okay, well wait wait, wait, no, no, no, you have to attack when they're at their webs.
Speaker 2: They need a lot of help in terms of media strategy, and that's particularly where they've let them down.
Speaker 1: Also, they need to have a look at their policies.
Speaker 2: I think the policies really if they resonate, then it does the job for you. But they don't really have anything tangible to latch on rather than this abstract petrol thing that's going to disappear in a year anyway. Moving on now, media watchers, Linton Besser took aim at the ABC's chair Kim Williams this week, and it exposed a major fight brewing at the national broadcaster now. Besser revealed that Williams had personally intervened to get a washed up comic, Sandy Gutman, airtime so that he could sell tickets to ABC viewers.
Speaker 9: Ostentatious, whose real name is Sandy Goodman, has featured regularly on the ABC, celebrating his briefly famous monologue and sprooking his upcoming show.
Speaker 1: Across the country, these days.
Speaker 6: The crowds are much more receptive and I get far less alcohol thrown at me than I did back in the early days.
Speaker 9: Since July last year, Goodman has received more than ninety minutes of free publicity on the public broadcaster. There's no fewer than eleven segments, all of which promoted specific upcoming gigs.
Speaker 5: You can book your seat for dinner and then also the show if you jump onto the pub's website.
Speaker 2: Some ABC staff pushback against the idea of having a no name failed comic given a platform to sell tickets, and they were right to push back.
Speaker 9: But we've learned that not all of the ABC's radio staff loved the idea of Austin Tatious on their show and declined to put him to air. The comedian would have the last laugh, however, because, as these regional bureau soon learned, Sandy Goodman had a man on the inside, none other than Kim william chairman of the ABC.
Speaker 1: I'm friends with Kim.
Speaker 7: I would have known him for forty years. I asked him if he could get a couple of interviews.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 9: Kim Williams denies the two of friends and describes Sandy Goodman as a mere acquaintance.
Speaker 10: We had a brief involvement some twenty seven years ago.
Speaker 9: Whatever the relationship, Sandy Goodman has used it to great success, beginning on August five last year.
Speaker 2: Williams used his slippery statement to dance around the issue, but the facts are clear. He had a connection to a professional comic and he pressured EBC journalists to help him sell tickets on air. Now, if that isn't a breach of the charter, then nothing is and Williams appears to be in trouble here. We reported after the fallout of the Media Watch episode that the MAAA Journalist Union was getting calls with similar complaints. They say there are more stories like this to come. And the ABC's new managing director, Hu Mar, who should be the person running the editorial content, not Williams, had some interesting words to say in the matter.
Speaker 10: Kim and I are very clear. Kim's responsibility is to run the board and to run and to be the advocate in chief for the ABC, and management needs to have the ability to run the organization. The board exists proper governance to review what management does. Kim does not have any question with that, That's very clear, James.
Speaker 2: Really interesting work by Linton Besser. There it's always a bit awkward when they're turning the microscope on their own employers. But in this situation, I can see why ABC journalists are incredibly angry. He is directly influencing it. And there was this one comment from a journalist that they played on Media watchual we didn't share was if he's focusing on something that's this petty and this irrelevant and what else is he doing?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just can't believe Kim Williams is risking it all for ostentatious.
Speaker 7: That's the craziest fust You know what this person is I ever heard of it?
Speaker 6: Slightly aware of the how much King Kohalabev I've been producer here that clip every now and then get shown if you recognized if he came up to me on the street and hit me, I would not know who he is, but man ostentatious. But like so, the serious point of this it is just we pay for it. We pay for the ABC, We pay for these ego trips, We pay for everything. Like they're editorializing, they do away from the ostentatious stuff.
Speaker 2: And it's not him Williams personal broadcast.
Speaker 1: And he's not a good talent correct me. Do you know who he is?
Speaker 5: I know of the name, but he's of a different vintage. I mean, certainly nobody on the street would even be able to mention any of his jokes or these TV shows or anything like that as well, or we stand up routine. But the point I was going to make is how refreshing we now have an MD at the ABC. He's not afraid to push back and defend journalists. We haven't had that for a long time. So I think you know, full marks to Hugh Marks for that as well.
Speaker 2: Saying it publicly is publicly. I don't know how Williams will feel about that well.
Speaker 5: And we did say that would be his biggest hurdled, didn't we that when he took that job that had to deal with the Kim issue would be the biggest sort of hurdle for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's already gone out racing. We can't have people selling commercial tickets on the ABC's completely inappropriate. But moving on, Soldier Ben Robert Smith won a major victory against nine this week when audio recording which was uncovered by Sky News was admitted into court as he seeks to overturn his damaging defamation loss.
Speaker 11: Victoria Cross recipient Ben Robert Smith has had a legal win in the Federal court today as he seeks to overturn his defamation loss. His lawyers successfully argued that a secretly recorded phone call should be admitted as evidence.
Speaker 12: Striding into court to try and clear his name, decorated Soldier Ben Roberts Smith is hoping to reopen the defamation appeal against the journalist and newspaper who accused him of war crimes because of this.
Speaker 1: I've just preached my doing that this is where like this is.
Speaker 12: A secretly recorded phone conversation between Nick mackenzie and a woman known as Person seventeen.
Speaker 1: James.
Speaker 2: A big win for Ben Robert Smith, but also Shari Markson, who broke that story. She uncovered that audio and now it appears it's going to be very central to this appeal.
Speaker 6: I mean it is explosive audio and what Nick mackenzie was saying yes at court yesterday was also very interesting. So this is definitely something to be watching very closely for the next couple of days and weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, louis your thoughts.
Speaker 5: I think if you're going to accuse someone of being a war criminal, you have to make sure every facet of your house is in order, So very interesting to see where this goes from.
Speaker 2: And his testimony, because Nick mackenzie obviously took the stand and he made some admissions that in certain situations he will act deceptively if he thinks the public interest argument is there. But it will be definitely one to watch, particularly for us on this show. Well, James Louise, thank you so much for the time quick break. When we return, Carmala Harris rise from the political grave. Welcome back to Stars and Gripes, where we revel in the absurdity of US media shenanigans. But big news tonight, Kamala's back rallying the resistance against the evil, democratically elected leader of her own country.
Speaker 13: Well, friends, that is called a constitutional crisis, and that is a crisis that will eventually impact everyone because it would mean that the rules that protect our fundamental rights and freedoms that ensure each of us has a say about how our government works will no longer matter. And if that happens, the one check, the one balance, the one power that must not fail is the voice of the people.
Speaker 2: It was good to see Kamala Harris take a break from selling time shares on the Gold Coast, and her resurgence appear to send shivers down the spine of the Trump administration.
Speaker 13: Just to add on the Kamala Harris point, I think I speak for everyone at the White House. We encourage Kamala Harris.
Speaker 6: To continue going out and speaking do speaking engagements.
Speaker 2: Well, joining me this week to discuss is the president of the Center of the American Experiment, John Heinderek. John, thank you so much as always for joining me at Kamala's back. They don't seem too perturbed by her resurgence though.
Speaker 3: No, that clip you just showed of Kamala Harris brings back a lot of bad memories, doesn't it. She talked there about the voice of the people. Well, the voice of the people told her, Kamala, it's time for you to retire, and we all hope that's what she will do. But I will say this, you know, to be fair, I think the position that she has in mind to run for is governor of California, and she could possibly get elected as governor of California in part because all of these sensible people have left that state.
Speaker 1: That's a very good point.
Speaker 2: Well, it's very funny for me to say, Kamala there because she's actually doing a conference on the Gold Coast talking about real estate, which is quite a fool from Grace when you're at one point the prospective leader of the free world and then you're on, you know, one of the mid sized cities in Australia talking to a real estate conference.
Speaker 3: I take it she was getting paid for that. You're right, it's kind of a cutdown. But one thing she was not doing was giving interviews. She doesn't like to give interviews to anybody if she can't count on them to edit the tape to make her sound a little more coherent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to have to send a reporter out anyway, whether whether she likes it or not.
Speaker 1: We might be able to get a grab.
Speaker 2: But moving on now to an interesting rare moment on television were sixteen minutes host Scott Pelley a tax paramount his parent company after the resignation of his boss, Bill Owens. The allegations are that paramount was interfering in news coverage so that Trump would approve a merger.
Speaker 14: Bill resigned Tuesday. It was hard on him and hard on us, but he did it for us, and you stories we pursued for fifty seven years are often controversial. Lately the Israel Gaza war and the Trump administration. Bill made sure they were accurate and fair. He was tough that way. But our parent company, Paramount is trying to complete a merger. The Trump administration must approve it. Paramount began to supervise our content in new ways. None of our stories has been blocked, but Bill felt he launch the independence that honest journalism requires.
Speaker 2: Now Pedley can try and act with moral superiority. But what they've failed to tell audiences is sixty Minutes adopted a Kamala Harris interview in the middle of the campaign to try and make her rambling answers look better.
Speaker 13: The work that we do diplomatically with the leadership of Israel is an ongoing pursuit around making clear our principles. Well, let's start with this on this subject. The aid that we have given Israel allowed Israel to defend itself against two hundred ballistic missiles.
Speaker 7: That were just.
Speaker 13: Meant to attack the Israelis and the people of Israel. And I think that is the most recent example of why what we do to assist in their defense around military aid is important. And when we think about the threat that Hamas Hezbela presents Iran, I think that it is without any question are imperative to do what we can to allow Israel to defend itself against those kinds of attacks. Now, the work that we do diplomatically with the leadership of Israel is an ongoing pursuit around making clear our principles, which include the need for humanitarian aid, the need for this war to end, the need for a deal to be done which would release the hostages and create a ceasefire.
Speaker 2: Well, John really interesting editing scandal there Karmala's clip and the one that went to where initially it was succinct, it was sharp, it was on point, it had a clear message. The one that actually the conversation actually took place with the reporter was rambling. She didn't get to the point, and that was one of the biggest criticisms against her. So I find it very hard to believe that the extra interference is about this conspiracy with Trump's going to approve the merger. And it appears to me to be more that management is taking a closer look at the editorial standards of a program that has triggered a twenty million dollar lawsuit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. I mean what Scott Pelley did was absolutely shocking. He refers to sixty minutes having a long history of being accurate and fair. Sixty minutes has never been either accurate or fair. My website got well known in two thousand and four when we helped to expose the fact that sixty minutes was putting out fake documents to try to impugne President George W. Bush's service in the Texas Air National Guard. They have a long history of propagating fake news on behalf of the Democratic Party, and so I agree with you. It's possible that Sherry Redstone, who controls Paramount, is concerned about the merger. I don't know, but I would say it's at least equally possible that she's generally appalled at the low journalistic standards at sixty minutes.
Speaker 2: Moving on now, Donald Trump sat down with ABC News this week to feel questions about the global perception of America, and it went about as well as you would expect.
Speaker 3: Do you think the reputation in the United States has gone down under your presidence?
Speaker 15: No, I think it's gone way up. And I think we're a respected country again, we were left at all over the world. We had a president that couldn't walk up a flight of stairs, couldn't walk down a flight of stairs, couldn't walk across the stage without falling. We had a president that was grossly incompetent. You knew it. I knew it, and everybody knew it, but you guys didn't want to write it because you're fake news.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you.
Speaker 15: By the way, ABC is one of the worst.
Speaker 7: I have to be honest.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, Josh.
Speaker 2: It's classic Trump, isn't it. I don't know why these journalists think if they're going to take a shot at him.
Speaker 1: They seemed patterned.
Speaker 2: They seemed to be taken aback by the fact that He's going to attack them personally. Have they not learnt their lesson?
Speaker 3: You know, Trump has got to be the most transparent president in history. In the first hundred days of his administration, he has given more interviews than Joe Biden did in four years. And he'll talk to anybody, you know, He'll talk to people who have made up fake stories about him. He'll talk to people like this guy Moran from ABC News. And he takes no grief from them, they ask him these unfair questions and he will just push back time after time. It's really fun to see, and frankly, it's one of the reasons why so many Americans really like Trump.
Speaker 2: It's a good point. And you can see when he does these big press conferences as well, that he's fielding questions in a way that Biden just wasn't able to do because he wasn't sentient in the same way or arguably at all. So it is a stark difference to the way that Trump is actually able to engage in the meet with the media.
Speaker 3: Well, poor Joe Biden. I mean, by the end he couldn't even read a teleper and even at the beginning, reading a talentprapt was all he was up to. And so how the contrast is really really striking.
Speaker 2: John Hundraka, thank you so much for joining me. Really appreciate it. We're going to take a quick break, but when we return we'll take a look at issues in the ABC with Jared Henderson.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Joining me now as he does each and every week, is Sky News Australia's media watchdog columnist Jared Henderson. Jared, thank you so much for joining me as always, and you've got some cracker topics that you've come across, as you always provide us the first one Channel seven. Now we know it is difficult to get a panel of undecided voters, but let's take a look at how seven did.
Speaker 5: Let's head to a living room there political science students from Flinders University.
Speaker 7: Pretty strong and clear reaction.
Speaker 9: Have a listen.
Speaker 2: I think Done tells a lot of lies around nuclear energy, particularly around who's going to get these jobs. He'd done them just lies all the time about housing. Every single issue that he identifies with housing has the complete wrong meaning behind it. I don't think they've made their mind up yet. They seem very objectively undecided.
Speaker 16: You've got to share a share house of political science students in Adelaide and they're against dutn't I mean quell surprised. Who could have imagined it? And it went on. I mean there were four of them. Eventually I picked out two of them, but they all agreed with one another. Was like a little Marxist sell there, and that's fine.
Speaker 2: There's little mart Sells everywhere, particularly among political scientists. But I guess the problem is the media trying to pass this off as being oh, well, these are our objective.
Speaker 16: Well passed it off as the view of young Australians. Now, some young Australians hold those views, but if you went into other places, you'd find young Australians who don't know those views.
Speaker 3: And I could.
Speaker 16: Introduce them to some of them if Channel seven were interested, and I'm sure you could too.
Speaker 1: It's a bit lazy.
Speaker 2: They could have gone to multiple Marxist cells as well, Yes they good. I could have had a divergence of opinions.
Speaker 16: There and some Trotsky guards as well, different views.
Speaker 2: Now, John Lyons, you've been following him very close. Yes, he's taken on a big job in the US, so I guess he's over there working hard for the taxpace.
Speaker 16: Well, I've been tuning in to getting because he said, as you know, he said he was going to translate the Trump administration for people like me and you.
Speaker 5: We couldn't work it.
Speaker 1: Out, so silly we need him to say.
Speaker 16: They've sent John Lyons over there, And he was filmed in Washington saying he was going to do this, and we showed this on the show a month or so ago. But then he sort of gone missing, and I inquired of the ABC you know what might be the case, and they came back and said, no problem, really, and then they came back and said, oh, hang on, he's back in Australia. So I didn't write about a moment he watched. I could have been very courteous, and I thought I'd give it another week. And then lomberhold on Late Night Live the other night as I caught it Late Light Late Night Left on the ABZ with David matt Up jumps John Lyons. And he's back in Australia flogging his latest book. So there am I and I presumably you sort of waiting for a translation about not only what's happening with Trump in Washington, but also with the Canadians and the Canadian election. Because he's editor North, he's the Editor America, so he covers the Americas from the north to the south. And I can't get the translation because he's back in Auspegia.
Speaker 1: How am I going to know what to think? Now? Jared have no idea.
Speaker 2: It's just gibberish. It's a different language if it hasn't been translated.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 16: So I've been watching it, but I imagine he will be flying back there soon once he's launched his book.
Speaker 2: I wonder if he's doing some election stuff here. He's a bit of a heavy hitter.
Speaker 16: Well, he's had a couple of things on online for the ABC, but nothing on the main programs on the ABC, and nothing on the main television or radio.
Speaker 1: Except plugging his book.
Speaker 16: Of course, I accept Late Nightline Marie Men's book which Love, which is on Ukraine, it's not on America.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Also Nicky Sava, she wrote in Holum, I think she might have attributed a quote to Donald Trump that he probably wishes was his quote.
Speaker 16: Yes, he would, But the quote that she came up with is, you know, do you feel you're better off now than you were the last election is nearly half a century old, and it's a famous quote from Ronald Reagan, and it'd shown a lot on television clips are offer show and think I saw one recently on Sky News the other night. One of the programs had it on. So it's very well known. But Nicky Saba, writing in the Age and the Sydney Morning Herald, says that Trump's talking about this, sorry, that Peter Dutton's talking about this, and that's because he's into trump Ism. That Peter Dunton got it from Trump, but Peter Dutton didn't get it from Trump. I mean it's very common. But if he got it from anyone, he got it from Ronald Reagan in nineteen eighty, which is nearly half a century ago. So there's Nicky Sava scribbling away. You know, Dutton's into Trump, he's just following trump Ism because he's making this comment when in fact it was made by Ronald Reagan when Trump was probably middle aged or younger.
Speaker 1: Well doesn't that just show their depth as well?
Speaker 2: But also I think is a mistake on the left of the media to attribute anything which is controversial or center right to that of Trump. And could it just potentially be that people in Australia are not better off than they were three years ago and it's an entirely appropriate, domestically organic talking point.
Speaker 1: Well that's quite possible.
Speaker 16: And also a metters like people say that Dutton's like Trump because of border interest, but Dutton was talking about border control before Trump became president.
Speaker 1: I mean the orders was twenty twelve, was it?
Speaker 16: He said the other way around that Trump's following Dutton or Duttonism, but of coause no one thinks of that. I mean, it's just it's sort of lazy journalism. I mean, Dutton is his own person.
Speaker 2: It's lazy boogeyman journal boogyman. It's here as someone who is i think statistically not liked in Australia, and that's fair enough for whatever reasons. He definitely caused people super annuation a bit of a hit, and you can understand people are angry, so they latch on that and then they connect it to Dutta and they know what they're doing. They know very much what they're doing. Dutan is taking Trump's playbook. Fortunately it was roll of Reagan's playbook.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and Trump is causing Dutton some problems, that's for sure, but it's not because Dutton's imitating Trump. I mean, in this instance had nothing to do with Trump. He's just got a good line. But Bill Clinton used the same line. I mean, there's a very since Ronald Reagan made that statement in nineteen eighty many politicians have used it. It's a very simple question, are you better off or not? I mean it's a very good line, good question, brilliant line.
Speaker 1: And probably how you should vote.
Speaker 2: Funny Jared Henderson Thank you so much, as always, really appreciate your insights. That's all we have for this evening, but up next is Newsnight.