Speaker 1: There's definitely it's definitely quite a somber mood this morning and over the weekend across Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Not just in the AFL community, but I think in Melbourne in parts of regional Victoria as well. It follows the passing of Adam Selwood. A family who have been through so much already this year. Their grief has been compounded again given his very untimely death at the age of just forty one. A young father, it must be said, a brother, a son. It is deeply harrowing. It follows the death of his identical twin brother Troy, just three months ago. Now, just by way of background, he was Adam was a footballer. He played for the West Coast Eagles some one hundred and eighty seven games. He also played a Premiership But this this morning is a story and an issue which is far bigger than football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's more importantly a dad, a brother, a son and a friend to so many. And I think that this story is it's it's sort of beyond comprehension. Is like Clinton, you and I spoke on Saturday night. You did a beautiful tribute on the Today Show yesterday mon perfectly and even finding the right words to express the devastation that this that that the passing of Adam. I mean, God, I can't even spit any words out right now. I mean that the so Old family are a divine family. They're beautiful, beautiful people, and I just I've got friends who are very, very close with the so Old family, and Joel is a friend of mine and his beautiful wife Brett, and I just couldn't even find the words to be honest, to express how sorry I was for their loss and how deeply it's being felt right around the country's.
Speaker 2: It is so complex. There are so many layers here because it involves mental health, and mental health is a complex issue. It can often, and as I said yesterday on the Today Show, it can often and it's invisible. It can be invisible. You know, a lot of us don't know what is going on behind the scenes in so many people's lives.
Speaker 1: I mentioned it earlier. I just find it frightening because you don't know what's really going like, you know, I do not want to meet this about me, but I recently lost them on holidays quite suddenly, and from outside looking in, I thought she was great and in a really happy place, and that's why I just when the news came through. It's just mate reach out to people.
Speaker 3: And these conversations are so hard to have, and I think it's important that we do. We do talk about this stuff more.
Speaker 2: We need to.
Speaker 3: But God, this is just a tragedy beyond belief and beyond comprehension for the cell Wards, and I know that that it'll deeply, deeply affect a lot of people, regardless of if you're a footy fan. I mean, news like this.
Speaker 2: Is just.
Speaker 3: Shocking heart breaks for that Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean picking picking up the pieces when they can, if they can, I'm sure they will eventually. It will be just so tough. But I think, Lauren, maybe when after Troy's passing, you said something to me which was which I remember, and that is you know where you can when you can pick up the phone to your mates as often as you can and just tell them how much you love them. Yeah, your friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, being an identical twin. My grandmother is an identical twin, and when she lost her twin sister, I like, honestly we thought we were going to lose Nan as well, because her heart was broken beyond belief and I think there's so many complexities to what's happened this week, and I'm sorry that we're all sort of a bit of a hot mess trying to talk about it, but I think it's affected all of us really deeply. Whether you've got a connection to the Sowed family, not to footy or not, but our hearts are very much with Joel and Scott and Adam's beautiful parents, bryceon Marie. They're just the most divine family. The Bendigo community, the Perth community, and anyone who's been affected by the events of the weekend.
Speaker 1: It's I want to give the number for Lifeline thirteen eleven fourteen because it's a great service. But as well as Lifeline, like you said, pick up the phone, checking on your mates today, let them know that you love them, because you might not realize the impact of them hearing that for them today.
Speaker 2: I mean, just talking about it is impactful for so many people. And if there is a way, if there is a means to normalize a conversation around something, so you know, because this can't happen, This shouldn't happen, especially to a bloke or anyone really in their prime. You a young family, will be impacted forever, and our hearts really go out to the cell wards.
Speaker 1: It has just gone five to way Over