Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see a side of life the average persons never exposed her. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys, staid, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. Welcome back to part two of my chat with Olympic champion Matt Mitcham. Now you would think that someone who has a drive and skills to be an Olympic champion at the age of twenty, life would be pretty easy. But as is often the case with our guests that we get on my catch killers, sometimes it's not the good things that define a person, but it's other things in their life. And if you listen to Part one. Matt talked about his upbringing, his childhood and how he got to the point where he was selected in the Australian Olympic team to compete at the two thousand and eight Beijing Olympics, and we left it as Matt was just about to take us into the Olympic village. Matt, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Talk me through the excitement of competing, the competing at the Olympics, your first Olympics. What was the feeling like.
Speaker 2: The Olympics is Yeah, I mean, obviously it's like the pinnacle of you know, what you've been working towards. So you know, it's everything all of those Olympics that you watch, you know, as a kid, and everything that you've been training for for you know, ten to fifteen years. It's kind of happening, and so it's easy to it'll be easy to kind of get overwhelmed just by that and you know, potentially psych yourself out. And the Olympic village is this crazy, bizarre utopia where everything is i mean, everything is lush and green and perfect, and everybody is like tall and beautiful and just like stupidly perfect. And it's so bizarre because it's then surrounded by these three meter tall braza wire fences, and they usually build these huge villages out in like you know quite you know, low socioeconomic areas because that's where it's cheapest to buy the land. And so it's like you go from like this green, perfect, lush utopia to these razor wire fences and then just just like like poverty on the other side of it. It's just it's so bizarre. But you know, when you know, don't think about that stuff and just kind of have a look at, you know, your immediate surroundings, it's yeah, it's uh, I guess it's like a kind of a dope feast for the brain. Like is everything's just you know, like overload, right, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and there's this athlete, there's that athlete and all these all these world stars. The mindset you go in there because you went there to win, didn't you. You weren't you weren't going to be satisfied with just competing. This was the matt I've got to be the best here. I'm going to win. This is that the attitude that you went in with.
Speaker 2: Like I had to, I had to kind of put those sorts of thoughts aside, Like those sorts of thoughts did occur. But you know, diving is one of those sports where it's not about like absolute speed or absolute strength or absolute endurance, where you know the harder you try, the better you're going to get. It's like diving is the complete opposite. It's a sport of absolute precision, where trying anything other than exactly how much you have practiced to try is going to have the adverse effect. And so any of these thoughts, like, you know, I definitely did have. I knew I would do pretty well because I you know, I had won the last international, I'd won several of medals throughout the year and then but they've been getting better and better, and I won gold in the last international competition before the Olympics, So I knew I was doing well and I knew that I had a potential to win a medal, and you know, so I did, and I did two events. I did three. Mind of spring board, I mean that was never my main event. I came I think sixteenth or something, but then and I think that was kind of a nice warm up for platform, which was the main event, and that was at the very end, and I came second in the preliminary round where they cut the fifty eight divers down to eighteen. Yeah, so it went China, me, China, and then everybody else. And then in the semi final, I came second again after the other Chinese divers, so they swapped positions, and so you know, I knew, well, I guess the pessimist of me. Yeah, well, the pessimist in me was kind of like, okay, well, both Chinese divers have beaten me here, so you know, I've got a really good chance of winning a bronze medal here. But again, those sorts of thoughts are quite counterproductive, and so you just had to kind of let those go every time the thought like that would happen. Yeah, and then as we got to the final, I don't keep track of of what anybody else is doing, and I don't keep track of like all I do is have a look at what scores I get and what total score I get. I don't even keep track of kind of what my progressive like what my cumulative score is through the competition, because from there I can deduce like how close to you know, my you know, how close to my PB I'm getting you know that sort of thing, and and and maybe make some inferences on you know, what other people would usually score in total. So you know, these are all ways that my brain can try and trick me to start thinking in counterproductive ways. So you know, so, yeah, I was That's what I was doing. I was just keeping track of, you know, the scores that I was getting from the judges, just to you know, to see if that aligned with how it felt. And in the and I felt like I was. I was diving well, and you know, I saved my highest degree of difficulty dive for the for the end, you know, to have a really big finisher. So that was the hardest dive in the Olympics. And and I'd done it really well in the semi final and scored over one hundred points, which is like like it's unhurt, Like it's extremely rare to score over one hundred points on on any dive. And so in the in the stairwell just before my last dive that you know, there was a Chinese diver before me, and when he did his dive, I heard the whole crowd go ooh. And I didn't know as in good or as in bad. I didn't know, and I didn't want to know. So I blocked my ears and went lah la la la lah as they were as the judges were reading out the scores, because I didn't want that to impact, you know, how I was about to do my dive, and I definitely had the thought in the stairwell that you know, if my name comes up on top of the leaderboard after my dive, that means that I've got an Olympic silver medal, because I just assumed that the Chinese diver after me was was going to win, right, you know, But if I did get a one after my score, because you dive in reverse order, so because I came second in the semi final, I was diving second last, So if I got if I came first after my dive, that means I've got an Olympic silver Maryland. But I had to let that go. And you know, so I've seen like footage I've seen of it. You know, as focused as I thought I was, I was still kind of, you know, acutely aware that there were there were cameras, there were there were people watching. You know, I'm walking to the end doing my hair. You're want to look your best exactly. But you know, but I don't remember anything from from you know, when I once I reached the end of the platform, it was like, you know, one of those textbook zone like flow state moments that.
Speaker 1: Would have to be the zone that you hope to achieve. Get into that with no thoughts are out, you're just in the zone. Literally, Yeah, you talk. It was your most difficult dive. Explain in Layman's terms what the dive involves, so it confuses to confuse us.
Speaker 2: All it's a backward facing dive, and it's got two and a half somersaults in it and two and a half full twists in it. So what's that three sixty plus three sixty seven twenty plus another one eighty is like, I don't know, a thousand or something. I didn't go to school for math, But yeah, that's it's a lot of twists and a lot of somersaults. So two and a half somersaults, two and a half twists, and it was the highest degree of difficulty dive in the Olympics at the time. And yeah, so I and I knew it was a good scorer because I'd done it quite well in well.
Speaker 1: And it is true, is the highest score in the Olympic history for that at that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So after I did the dive, I you know like it felt kind of it felt good, but you know, like it I felt like it could have maybe gone a hair one way or the other. And when the crowd was when I surfirst after the dive and the crowd was just going absolutely ballistic in the water cube, I knew that I had done a really good dive and and so I was like thanking the crowd, which is customary to do in China. And then the scores came up ten ten nine and a half, ten ten nine and a half, nine and a half, and there was a there was a one next to it. That's all I saw, was just the one next to my name, and I lost it, thinking that like I had an Olympic silver medal. And and you know, then we I went to the side of the pool, like people were congratulating me already just for you know, doing the good dive. We all stopped to watch the last diver of the competition, the Chinese diver, who was actually doing the same dive as me, and he bombed it like a huge splash, like just completely surprised everybody, and you know, it didn't even meddle, and so I stayed up on top, and you know, the whole diving community just engulfed me, which was a really beautiful moment, like everyone just standing there waiting patiently for their turn to congratulate me. It was really really lovely moment. And I had no idea at the time, Like all I know, all I knew was that, you know, I got the gold medal. I had no idea that it was an Olympic record of the highest scoring dive in Olympic history. I had no idea that I'd set the Olympic record already for the highest scoring dive in Olympic history in the semi final. So I broke my own Olympic record. I had the two highest scoring dives in Olympic history for quite a number of years.
Speaker 1: Do you like to do things in a big way, don't you?
Speaker 2: Pretty much? And what I also didn't know was that in doing that, in coming out before Beijing, it made me the first openly gay, at least male, but the first openly g that I can find Olympic gold medalist in history.
Speaker 1: Well, at twenty, you do things in a big way. Don't you like when you shine, you shine very bright. I'm just I've got a smile on my face because I just think you've taken this through your journey, and I just think it must be overwhelming, the euphoria or the relief or just what's the feelings that you get that you've achieved something you set out to achieve. Relief and such a grand scale.
Speaker 2: It was relief. I like literally the the feeling that I remember when stepping onto the podium, it was just relief that like it had all been worth it. Yeah. Yeah, basically just that it had been worth it, you know, going through those years of sticking with it when I didn't you know, when I wasn't loving it coming back. You know, I was so poor when I came back for that fifteen months, like because I I had no funding, because I hadn't achieved anything yet, and so you know, I was working in this office for five hours a day, five days a week, like I was. In order to fit everything into the day, I was always running. I was running to the train station. I was running from the train station to the pool. I was running from the pool back to the train station. I was running from the train station to the work office and then back up to like you know, always running, always falling asleep on trains. All I could really afford was basically, like you know, a can of tuna and two minute noodles for lunch every day, and maybe a tin of sweet corn if it was a particularly good week for me financially, and then the rest was just like you know, basically baked beans on toast for dinner, and like that's literally what I was subsisting on because I was just I'm.
Speaker 1: Just thinking of a sponsorship deal here for if anything, they knew in the lead up, look that it's an incredible story and I can only imagine and it sounds like your life. And I've had those times in my life where you're five minutes behind everywhere you should be and it's just you're playing catch up. But your event at what stage in the Olympics was it a ladder or in the middle of the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Like the two weeks it was the last day.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a shame, because I thought you might have given us stories about how you partied out after you one year gold and enjoy yourself, but say you would have had to stay focused the whole whole time.
Speaker 2: And I because I was so like paranoid about you know, doing anything that was going to jeopardize, you know, giving me the best chance. I did not. Like I stayed in my room for whenever I wasn't in the dining hall or at the pool, I was just in my room by myself, reading, you know, trying not to tie myself out. So I mean, to be fair, I was there to do a job exactly. But you know, but the Olympics do certainly put on a lot of stuff to you know, to make it an awesome experience for the athletes as well. I just didn't participate it.
Speaker 1: Talk to us about stand in on the diacet at the gold medal ceremony, how did you feel? And the Australian national anthem boone played and the gold medal place around your neck?
Speaker 2: There are a couple of you know, like I guess I was a little bit shell shocked. To be honest, I you know, the like I said, the only the only feeling I could actually recognize was relief. But I sang. I sang the national anthem loudly and proudly, and yeah I managed. I don't know where I got that flag from but someone gave me Australian flag and you know, around the pool deck with my astranged flag. I ran up to the stands and gave my partner at the time just a kiss on the cheek. Actually, I think my mother was Yeah, she was there as well. And then yeah, I went through and then it was just like media and interviews for a couple of hours after that, media in the media zone in the pool, and then they took me to non rights holders media outside the pool, and I think I got back to the village about must have been like two or three, and then had to be up again at five to start then doing the morning breakfast TV breakfast programs back in Australia. So yeah, it was crazy chaos chaos.
Speaker 1: Did that change you as a person at that point in time? Did you? And you're only twenty and when you look back at twenty, how NIGHI even ignorant stupid you are and you've got all that thrust upon you. Yeah, how did it did it change?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It made me a monster? I mean I certainly did enjoy the validation for sure. You know this, Yeah, the gold medal has this this magical property of making you significantly more interesting and better looking and funnier, like you know, it's it's just magic. But I think eventually I started to feel like people only cared about the medal, like I was really just a bust to display the medal, to wear the medal. I still I had no no inherent value. It was the gold medal was the only thing that had value because that's what people were interested in. So, you know, the yeah, the validation that came with winning Olympic gold medal didn't last for very long. And then for some reason, at some stage after getting back from Beijing, I had to look at the world rankings and discovered that I was actually number two in the world because it's based off total total points and one of the Chinese divers had one more events earlier in the year than I had and so had to crud more total points. And so here I am. You know, I'm still not the best in the world. And you know, I think it had two effects. One of them was I used that as an impetus to set a new goal to become, you know, to get that number one world ranking, and I did. I got it. In twenty ten, I was ranked number one in the world, but it also, I guess had this huge knock to it just started a spiral for me. I think, you know, like still not being the best in the world, like you know, I guess all I can call it is like I had a relapse in my depression which had been in remission for a couple of years since I moved to Sydney and had this wonderful inclusive training environment and was happy diving. You know, I had some relief from that depression which I had had since I was fourteen, but it came back with a vengeance after beaching.
Speaker 1: Is there like the post's Olympic let down after it, and especially when you've achieved the gold medal, is there the highs and this has been the aim I've achieved it, you found another gold to achieve? Well, I want to be number one. The gold medal wasn't enough, so that drove you a little bit. But there and I see a lot of athletes, not just Olympic athletes but footballers and all that that they've left what's driven them the purpose. They've won their Grand Final, they've won the World Cup or done something, and then their life saw the spirals out of the control. I can understand it because I can understand being focused and driven and then you've achieved it and then ah, the world hasn't changed for me. It's I'm still the same person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is. They call it like a yeah, an Olympic come down, and I think it's really it's it's it's a very appropriate analogy to use that the terminology that they use, like for for a drug come down, because you know, the Olympics is so it's such an intense experience, like in terms of like it's an intense sensory experience where there's so much going on all the time, and there's so much excitement you know, of the competition and you know, particularly if you know you have a really good competition, then there's even more excitement. So it's like, you know, you're just being flooded with dopamine and serotonin and are adrenaline like all the time, constantly for you know, for two weeks, and so of course you're going to be depleted when you like not even just not even just like you know, this the void of like you know, having this amazing experience that you've been working towards for a very long time and then you know it being over but even just chemically in your body, you're going to be so depleted and so you know it, I feel like it's a really appropriate analogy that and it's it's almost a ubiquitous kind of a universal experience of Olympians or you know, not even just Olympians, but like you know, like you said, maybe after a premiership or like a Grand final or whatever, that an athlete would feel that that that flat afterwards. And you know, and I think I did feel it. I mean I don't remember it being that horrific, but at the same time, I have seen it happen so many times with so many other athletes, like particularly, I need to expect it more when I did eventually retire from sport, because you know, you don't have that that purpose anymore. You don't have, you know, something that you don't have the structure anymore of something that you filled, you know, five hours a day with every day you know that you've got you've got five hours a day to an extra five hours a day to fill with something that's not just you sitting there with your thoughts going what like what am I? Who am I now? Like? What is my purpose? Like you know, if I don't have this thing that my identity has been so wrapped up with if I'm not doing that thing anymore, and that thing that that brought me so much validation and you know, and gave me some esteem in the world, like who am I'm? What am I doing? Like? Just being left alone with your thoughts for an extra five hours a day which you didn't aren't used to, can be a pretty dangerous place. And so no surprise, there's no surprise that, like you see so many athletes, I either turned to I guess probably alcohol to number feelings or to drugs to get potentially replicate replicate the feelings.
Speaker 1: And yeah, when you came back as the gold medalist and you continued in diving and you achieve your ultimate goal have been the world number one, were you financially supported? Like I've heard people say, gold medals don't don't set you up for life? Was it? Yeah, you didn't have to work as an admin assistant for five hours a day and eat baked beans and run and catch a train. Did the life change for you in that regards? In that I don't know Australian Institute, the sport or sponsorship or what happened there.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I didn't have to work as an admin assistant anymore, which was amazing. I could support myself by doing the diving just because you know, I was staying in the top three in the world for or the you know, for the next couple of years, which meant that I was getting access to you know, like training grants. But that was you know, that was basically how I was supporting himself. And I was doing public speaking every now and then, which brought in a little bit extra But I certainly wasn't raking in endorsement dollars, which is a shame, but you know, but I mean, there's nothing I could do with that. But you know, I'm just grateful that, you know, I could support myself and just focus on the sport for a few years.
Speaker 1: When you made the London Olympics, and I read in an interview or heard you talk about that, and you said that you felt a little bit more pressure on yourself going into the London Olympics. Quite ironically, after and you didn't medal in the London Olympics, it validated your gold medal that you won at the Beijing Olympics. There was a whole lot of mixed, mixed thoughts. Talk me through the London Olympics. Why you felt the pressure and why even though you didn't achieve what you want to do, achieve at the London Olympics, that validated what you did at the Beijing Olympics.
Speaker 2: So I had well, basically had a rock bottom, you know, in terms of my depression and how I was kind of not coping with that and how I was medicating with drugs and just and not being able to control it.
Speaker 1: Really, Matt, sorry, can I just interrupt you there for a sec now that you got the profile, did you and I know when I spoke to Tom Carroll, the two times World surfing champion, when he was using drugs, he felt pressure and responsibility because he was put up there on the pedestal and it was a bigger fall. Like if you would have been the front page if you were caught, yeah, with drugs. Did you feel the pressure of that as well?
Speaker 2: For sure? Like for sure I felt the pressure of Well, I wanted to be a good role model, you know, because there are enough bad role models in the world. I didn't feel like the world needed another one. But I also had a lot of shame about how I was feeling because it felt so unjustified, like I'm an Olympic champion. What have I got to be depressed about? Like, you know, and shaming myself for feeling shame about feeling bad about feeling bad doesn't make you feel less bad. It just kind of makes you feel more bad.
Speaker 1: And so it makes sense.
Speaker 2: So I, you know, it was so so just so desperate to change the way I felt, and so and but so ashamed of how I was feeling that I felt even less able to seek help for it. And so I just went back to the last sort of those last not coping mechanisms that I'd used as a teenager to change the way I felt, which was crystal meth. And you know, and then there's so much taboo and shame around that that that I guess perpetuated the secrecy of it. And I wasn't doing it to enhance my performance obviously, so and you know, there was drug testing at competitions, and so I would have to detox before every competition, and that detox before every competition was so horrible, Like it was just it was so horrific that I would promise myself with every single cell in my body that I wasn't going to use drugs again when I got back from that competition, and every single time, I couldn't keep that promise to myself. And you know, not being able to keep a promise to yourself that you have made like with absolute conviction and then to fail at that, it kind of tears yourself as to him in half, like again and again again, and you just feel just completely powerless and helpless. And you know, it took me six months of me trying to control it by myself for me to just I had no pride left to swallow. So that's when I finally reached out for help, which was just such an absolute last resort because you know, I couldn't I couldn't let anybody find out about what I was doing, but I just had to. I just had to take the risk and take myself off to rehab. And so you know, it's you know, that's when the journey of like you know, mental health and and all that started for me. And you know, I was also dealing with injuries, and you know, I had some stress fractures in my spine and then I had some abdominal tears which I kept on retearing because there was so much pressure to get ready for the next qualifying competition that I would you know, I would tear it again and again and again. And you know, so I was going into London like woefully underprepared, but I was still the best qualified in Australia to represent the country. And you know, so this expectation for me to defend my Olympic title was kind of really counterproductive for me because you know, when it's framed that way, to defend your Olympic title, anything other than a winners a failure. Like even if I had won a silver medal, I wouldn't have defended my Olympic title. So even a silver medal would have been a failure, which is you know, it was a high bar that was. It was yeah, and and quite unhelpful, and so you know, I just had to kind of reframe that and go, you know what, like, I know, I'm not going to defend my Olympic title, but I am still the best person to represent the country at this period of time, and so I just kind of had to go based on that and go knowing that I was, that I was trying my best, and that I wasn't necessarily going to do my best, and and I didn't. I didn't do my best. I came, you know, I missed out on making the final by one place, and I was so disappointed, but you know, again had to kind of turn that around and go, no, I didn't do my best, but I did try my best. So they like, could I have done any more in the lead up to London, No, I probably should have done much less to have prevented lots of re injuries, but you know, I definitely try my best, and so I have to be happy with that. And you know, so I came back to the pool to watch the finals that I should have been in that I've always been in before, Like it was such a weird position to be watching the finals for the first time, and it was such an unusual experience, and I was so proud of the boys who were diving in the final, and I've never experienced that before and that pride. I was able to kind of turn around and feel it for myself because I'm usually in that position. And that was then like after it once I did that and recognized, you know that I had pride for myself for what I do and my achievements. That was then I realized the first time I actually appreciated that gold medal that I'd won in Beijing. That was the first time I didn't feel like that when in Beijing was a fluke and so you know, yeah, I didn't. I came away from London not with a medal, but with something that was so much more valuable because it meant that I, for the first time, was actually able to appreciate the gold medal that I did have.
Speaker 1: Well, just so why you're talking about there's a sense of zen and calmness and peace lead up to it, your striving, striving. Then it appears to be the first time you've sat there and gone, hey, yes, I did something worthwhile and I should be proud of it.
Speaker 2: It was a huge It was a huge mental and emotional win for me that that realization. So yeah, again, like that, I ended up leaving London with something far more valuable than what I left Beijing with.
Speaker 1: Amazing, isn't the mental health journey and the drug addiction. Where are you at with all all that? Now?
Speaker 2: I'm eight and a half years clean and sober, Like I haven't had anything stronger than a panadole or an eurofin in eight and a half years. I even I even raw dogged a minor wrist operation. Yeah, like I just you know, because I didn't want to. I just yeah, I think so, So that was that was that was pretty difficult. But then again, you know, paracetamoli is it's actually you know, very effective, you know, if you if you use it kind of as prescribed, it's actually very very effective and helping with pain. But yeah, so I had tendons cells harvested from my wrist in order for them to be grown up in a in a peach tradition, then reinjected into a separate tend and tear and yeah, that that was That was quite an experience. But because I was already in recovery, then you know, that was a choice that I made and I got through it, and you know, so that's that's where I am in terms of my you know, drug and alcohol journey is being you know nearly yeah, nearly nine years clean and sober. And then you know that like I will kind of admit that, you know, I've been a lot more. I was a lot more proactive, you know, kind of earlier on in my recovery about my mental health and you know, and it really showed, like my mental health was was much better. You know, when I do when I am struggling, I know, it's always because I'm not putting in any action, like I'm not putting any any maintenance. I'm not, uh, you know, I'm not kind of reflecting on a daily basis about you know, about the goods and bads of the day. And you know, reflection is just so important in order to you know, to to keep on growing and to prevent you know, slippery habits from from creeping back in or you know, or to you know, just just to give yourself a was a health check too, to see you know, where some unhealthy thoughts and feelings and patterns are starting to you know, to to root themselves. So you know, I certainly have struggles like extremely I've got quite severe ADHD and so I you know, I've been even though I've been medicated for that for nearly fifteen years, you know, it's I struggle with the symptoms of that. I've been struggling with the symptoms of that more in the past eighteen months than I have through my entire life. And you know, there's other stuff that I kind of you know that creep in or you know, I might be trying to replace my addiction with like maybe other behaviors like you know, acting out sexually or or you know, that's probably the where the biggest that's that's probably where I would struggle with most. And so it's a it's a constant process.
Speaker 1: You've talked in previous interviews about a gratitude list that you put forward. Is that something you keep in place, Is that something that you try and focus on, and then just explain what you got from compiling a gratitude list each day.
Speaker 2: A gratitude list. Gratitude lists are probably the you know, the best maintenance tool for me. And and you know, and I'm always I'm always doing best in life mentally when I am doing that practice, and you know, when I am strugg it's usually when that practice has dropped off. And it works in a couple of ways, you know, I think first of all, it it kind of it changes your frame of mind and the way that you interact with the world in that when you start off looking for things that you're grateful for, you kind of stop looking for, you know, evidence that the world is conspiring against you, and so you know. And the other thing is like I've I've because of my history of mental ill health, I have a fear of falling into depression again, you know, because it just feels like this big, scary, like black emptiness, and you know, and by doing this gratitude list, I don't have to fear, you know, this the black emptiness, because it's not going to be empty. Like if I do sort of fall into into depression, if I've thought of three things that I'm grateful for just that morning, I'll have those three things in my you know, in my big black hole with me, so I won't feel so empty. And then you just don't you don't have the fear of it anymore because and it doesn't feel so so bad and so scary, so and then you know, of course it's it. What I used to do with the gratitude lists as well, which I haven't haven't done for quite a long time, is I used to. Yeah, it's it's not for everyone, but it was perfect for me at the time. Was to make a little artwork out of each gratitude list, so literally just three things, but like do it in calligraphy or you know, or or maybe you know, take a photo of it and put some effects on it or whatever. But just that creative process was you know, it was quite meditative and quite mindful as well, and so you know, it just it worked on so many different levels. But I think the thing that was, you know, just at the topmost level, it just, you know, you foster an attitude of gratitude, You stop looking for evidence that the worlds worrying against you.
Speaker 1: It makes sense. But to me my observations and listening to your talk and having this conversation, you've set yourself up with some good tools, and you understand that that black hole's out there, that you could fall into it, but you've got tools to protect yourself from it. I got through years in homicide, and I don't think I suffered from it, but I knew when I was spiraling out of control. And I got into years ago meditation and the thing called jigun, which is like a moving form of meditation. And when I first started doing that, people thinking, oh, this is a bit weird, what's this cop doing turning up here. I didn't know why I was so driven to do it. I was doing hard training, but I was doing this soft training as well. I don't do it every day now. But it's there in like a toolbox that if I'm feel myself spiraling out of control, I can just okay, I need to check myself. I understand that I'm not looking at things properly, and that's that works for me. It might work for you different things. You just got to find that way to deal with things. I always know when I'm in a bad situation when I walk out in the street or through the city and every single person I pass annoys me, like someone doesn't step out of the way. This that I'm thinking, oh, that those ten people in a row can't be wrong. Maybe it's the way I'm looking at the world at the moment. So yeah, just having those things in your back pocket that you can acknowledge it and deal with it. I think it's good. And seeing someone like you talk about it, someone that we look at you. You're a gold medalist. What have you got to complain about? You can strive, you can achieve, and to be so open, I think that's where it's powerful. The message that you're delivering. Let's talk about life posts the athlete, and I think you said at some point in time, you've got a job and you thought, actually this is I thought it. We'd be boring. But it's quite good getting a salary coming in and just going to work each day and quite fulfilling. Talk us through that transitional period where you've gone from being this elite athlete to ah, I'm just working like everyone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I it was. I'm not gonna lie it was. It was a kind of a humbling process, I think too, kind of go from you know, for the first couple of years after I retired, a lot of my income was still coming from having a name that was recognizable. You know, like I read a book in twenty twelve turned into a stage show where I spoke a lot about you know, mental health and and that sort of thing. And you know, that show did really really well. There was a follow on show and you know and speaking engagements. And then I moved to the UK and I tried to do sort of similar stuff. But my name didn't have any didn't carry the world. There's no currency, no no capital, not recognizable in any way, and therefore didn't open any opportunities. And so you know, that's when I realized that I, yeah, I couldn't I couldn't just rely on my name anymore to provide me opportunities, and so you know, I had to be like a normal person again. And and actually it was you know, while initially it was a very humbling, very difficult pill to swallow, because you know, all I've ever wanted since I was a child was to be special, because you know, I'm just so you know, even today, even though I recognize it, I do have a tendency to kind of, you know, start creeping towards you know, leaning more into external esteem every now and then. But yeah, it was, it was a humbling pill, and but actually I found it. I found it to be really lovely. You know, the because I go ever since I've been a child, I've had a lot of anxiety. And one of the areas that anxiety pops up in is financial anxiety. I think it's because I've never grown up in a house that has been owned.
Speaker 1: I can always be where that's coming from.
Speaker 2: Then there's always this, and there was always like there was always a shortage of money, like we I never I never went on a holiday as a child, like you know how you you know, your family go on like I don't know, camping holidays, caravan holidays or you know that I never like that never happened. I never went on holidays and I didn't go on I missed it on a lot of school like field trips as well, which I just put down to like, you know, oh, I'm doing sport like I wouldn't have time to do that anyway. But there was definitely, you know, and I lived as a five year old. When I was five, we lived without any electricity for six months. It's tough just because because you know, Mum, you know, kind of rightly in a way, refused to pay an extra fee to the power company, because the reason why we had to pay the extra fee in the first place was because she was so far behind on bills. But you know, so I think the not growing up in a house that we ever owned and moving around a fair bit, I think it had this impact of me feeling this need for safety and security and and this financial anxiety and and so it's really long way to go about saying that, you know, all of the income that I had up until that point, you know, with the cabaret show or you know, speaking engagements and stuff, they're all sporadic and unpredictable and inconsistent forms of income. And I was getting myself into, you know, some some debt, so, you know, actually having consistent, regular income. It was really nice to not have to stress about where the next money was coming from.
Speaker 1: It makes a lot of sense. I'm interested in some of the things that you've done post career, and you talked about the cabaret show on You did a book and did your cabaret show. I also did a book and did a live show, and I found doing the live show very very confronting. M More Theater was my first first night, sold out on a Saturday night, and I'm there with Rob Carlton, a good maid of mine. He's an actor, and I thought it would be sort of a sit down, yeah, the Q and A type thing, but it was m Moore Theater and I was very nervous and Rob told me, he said, this is not Q and A. This is live theater. We're going to take the audience on the journey. So I had a monologue to learn and about forty minutes of stuff and had the time at here and there. I was shitting myself before I walked out the first night, but I really enjoyed it. It was challenging and it was fun. And we toured around the around the country and Rob said, one thing that he does and I like the way he lives his life. He challenges himself at least once a year, does something he's scared of. And I was scared of doing that. I'd been a cop for years. What am I doing on the stage and then more theater on the Saturday night doing a live show? But it was fun, challenging and rewarding. Did you find that you've done Australian sas the survivor? You went on that that would have been challenging. Did you do Dancing with the Stars as well?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 1: Yep? Is there right?
Speaker 2: And absolutely loved both of them. Probably loved Dancing with the Stars more than sas.
Speaker 1: Right, talk us through the experience, because again that's putting yourself out there as you can fail in a big way and a very public failure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think I loved sas well. I loved I absolutely loved both of them because it gave me sort of structure to train, gave me purpose and you know, so I quite enjoy the physical, but you know, I also really enjoyed the novelty of the new experiences. And then says has got the extra layer of the the mental and emotional challenge as well. And I, you know, I think I have always been very like quite open, you know with the public about you know, my well, I guess you could call them my mistakes. Well they're not really mistakes if you if you do learn from them. But you know, the I guess my my character defects, for lack of a better term, you know, my warts, which, yeah, and I think the reason I've always been quite open about that stuff is that I see how the experience can benefit others, like by me sharing. Yeah. So you know, so I shared some pretty some stuff that I was quite ashamed about and stuff that I still struggle with in terms of you know, like honesty is you know, I feel really ashamed to say it. But you know, honesty is not one of my core values and it never has been ever since I was a child. I I have learnt to that lying is a survival mechanism because I because of how I was disciplined, because of how I was controlled, and you know, I would get punished for doing something like for I would get punished for if it was found out that I did something. You know, there was no clemency. There was no you weren't. You weren't forgiven for like being honest about it. If you got found out, you were punished. And so the only way to you know, to get away with it was not to be honest about it, but was to lie and try and get away with it. And that is so automatic and it's and it causes a lot of problems in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Matt, you coming out and saying that, and it makes you know, I'm seeing here listening, and it makes me reflect on my life and different things. I think it's powerful that someone like yourself is talking about those things and owning that. And yeah, I think it helps people understanding where we've all got faults. No one's perfect, but where those faults are coming from and why you are who you are, so full full credit to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean like awareness is one thing, you know, it's actually awareness is usually is is quite often the most painful place to be in because it's it's the area in between, you know, not having awareness of the behavior, so you're you're oblivious to the behavior, which means that you're it's not kind of upsetting to you, You're just you're kind of I don't know, damage is and chaos is occurring around you. You don't know why, but you know it's not your fault. But then when like awareness is actually a very painful place to be in because then then you're aware that like it's actually you know, you're the one that's causing the chaos in your life, and that it's the stage before action, like when when you know, when you cause enough pain to so when the place is uncomfortable enough, then you're put in the action to actually try and do something about it. So it's not just it's not just having the awareness, it's actually about trying to put in some action to change it afterwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, I like to think that we all evolve and you'll all learn as you grow, and yeah, you learn by your mistakes. So you've done the book that Dancing with the Stars you also went on only fans talk us through that Like that's you know, and it's not something that's so surprising these days, like a lot of people are doing it. How is that an experience for you?
Speaker 2: It's been awesome, Like, you know, there's a I think I like to take pictures of myself anyway, and you know, I've got lots of fans who want to see the pictures, and so if they want to, you know, if they want to give me money to see see these pictures, then you know, why not. And like, I don't even do full frontal nudity on my only fans, Like, you know, I think it gets a pretty bad rap. But yeah, it's just, you know, it's just another way for me to connect with you know, a bunch of people on a different level. You know, I'm pretty I'm pretty open and free and easy about you know, myself and my sexuality. I don't shame it. I know a lot of other people do shame it, which is a shame. And you know, you know, to think, the balance I think I've I've had to find with it is you know, before I actually got into it, was like, I wouldn't want this to jeopardize my chances of you know, doing anything in the mainstream, And so what could I do and what do I feel comfortable with doing and sharing that's not going to jeopardize my chance of doing anything in the mainstream. And I think you know the mainstream, you know, doing pornography I think would be something that would mean that I couldn't be mainstream. And so you know, I don't do pornography. I don't do you know, full frontal how much just you know, send a shared you know, sexy pictures and videos that you know wouldn't be considered pornography.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you explained that, explain that well, and there should be no embarrassment or shame to it the way that way that you've explained it. But it gets to react.
Speaker 2: And there should be no there should be no shame like for people who do actually share. I mean for me, it was you know, and I've got my own hang ups. I do have some hang ups around sex, to be honest, you know, around my own sexuality like any like, which is so bizarre that and that's something that I have to keep on checking myself with. I don't shame anybody else like I think it's you know, it's it's empower I fully support anybody else's you know, who works as a sex worker or but or who does sex work. But I, you know, for myself, I kind of sit back and go, you know, can I could I defend this in the name like as you know, being art for example, and you know, but all power to other people like who do you know do pornography and that sort of thing. I fully support them, and I don't think that should should preclude them. I don't think that should exclude them from being able to have a mainstream career. But I know in reality that a lot of other people do. And a lot of those other people are decision makers or you know, for example, with mainstream you know, decision makers have to think about, you know, the talent they have having the widest possible appeal, and that you know, they they wouldn't want to alienate a whole demographic of people, quite conservative people, just because they you know, they have one talent that's you know, is a lot more liberal. So it's it's unfortunate that that's the way the world is. And and actually, you know, an argument could be made that the only way to change that would be to actually have people you know, to be liberal you know, with themselves, and and also can have you know, pioneer paved the way to actually have mainstream careers as well, and that's the way that a change would be made. I don't know if I'm achieving that, you know, but also it would be good.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the way that you've just articulated that and explained that. I think people can see where you're coming from and no judgment and the fact that you're making the comment that people shouldn't be judging others on what they do. And what I can say is a homicide detective, the amount of motives it's driven by sex in one way or another or suppressed or that it's not very healthy. It's not very healthy. And I've seen people do things and commit crimes. I'm not talking with the completely different level when we talk about pedophiles with children, that's completely different, but other adult crimes that have been driven by sex. The wife, it's been murdered because the man has found a new new girlfriend, and yeah, things like that. So many times it comes in and quite often because they've been suppressing what their actual urges are and that leads them to do something that you know, I don't think they were necessarily a bad person, but they've been lying to themselves and suppressing things and then they've gone done something something horrendous. So, yeah, I was curious how you were going to answer that, but I think you answered it very well, and I don't know what they else to say. You've covered the law in that your life. Now you're married, Yes, married, talk us through that they had the big wedding or.
Speaker 2: We had big ish Well, I don't know. Actually that's a lie. It's not wasn't big ish. There was about seventy people, which I think was bigger than I expected it to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's just got out of hand.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't have that many friends and family, right, and you know it was we did it over in We did it in Belgium actually, and so you know, I was pros that I actually had, you know, some as many family members as I did come over for it. Yeah, it was, it was, it was. It was lovely. We've been married for four and a half years. You know, we're just like any married couple. We you know, have our ups and downs and you know, have to kind of work through things as they pop up. And it's yeah, it's it's pretty unremarkable relationship in terms of you know, it's very very normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that might be what you need at this stage in your life. The Olympics that the Paris Olympics are you involved in? Do you do you attend the Olympics or you go into the Olympics or you watch the Olympics. What's it like as a post past Olympian Do you have any involvement in it? Is there advice that you give athletes competing?
Speaker 2: I literally got back yes today from from the Australian Olympic Diving teams training camp. They're doing a pre Olympic camp in the UK, so I went and spent two days with them. I love the Yeah, I love the Olympics. You know, always watch it would always be as involved as possible. I've commentated a couple of common common Worth games, never managed to commentate the Olympics yet. But this Olympics I am doing. I will be in Paris and doing a couple of things. Actually, I'll be hosting groups at the diving, like spectator groups on behalf of Airbnb. Airbnb is one of the Olympic, the IOC partners, and so they got a bunch of tickets for different sports and so they gave a bunch of tickets away and they got some athletes to you know, to host these groups. And so I'll be hosting several groups at the diving and I will also I've also been working for a year and a half with a project called Compete Proud, which is aiming to you know, mix sports more diverse and inclusive places, you know, particularly for LGBTQ plus athletes. But you know, but diversity is an inclusion is it works on many levels, you know, for in terms of racism, sexism, ableism, you know, all that sort of stuff. So I will actually be in Paris working at Pride House as well, which is a space that you know, for the last you know, since probably two thousand and I think just after two thousand and eight. I think it's been a common feature of Olympic Games to have a Pride House, which is a space for we're fans or athletes or support staff for you know, just anybody kind of involved in the in the Olympics to have a safe space for them. So I will be there doing some doing interviews with athletes and being around for meeting greets and education sessions and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, fantastic. I think we might wrap it up at this stage. We in between part one and Part two. I was talking to our producer Emily. She'll probably get cranky at me for this and just say he's so insightful as in we've been talking so I've got to say that too, Matt. I like the fact that you can look at yourself and learn from life's lessons and explain it so so well, and you articulate your emotions and all that, and I think by sharing your feelings, I honestly believe you're making a difference. So full credit to you. And maybe the winning the Olympic gold medal is not going to be the highlight of your life, and the way that your life is playing out helping others is getting you more reward than what you believe the Olympic gold might get you.
Speaker 2: That's true. Yeah, yeah, thank you. It's it's a really lovely thing to say. Yeah, And it's you know, it's kind of something that I hope for myself. You know that the you know that this achievement is not kind of the best thing that I ever do, and you know, and and actually what I'm trying to do is use that as a platform in order to make a real difference in the world. And so yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. And it's it's that's probably the most validating thing you could possibly say to me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's great. Thank you so much for coming on the podcast and making the time. I know you, I know you're busy and all the best for the future, and I've really enjoyed that chat, so thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks Gary, I really enjoyed our chat too.
Speaker 1: Cheers. We finally got an Olympic gold medalist. Onto I catch Killers and the chat that I had with Matt Mitchell I found quite inspiring sad at times when he talks about his childhood and the problems that he had leading up to achieve Olympic goal. In life after Olympic goals, he talks about his drug addiction and a lot of other things that I think people will find quite inspiration. I certainly did.